View Single Post
Old 05-08-2009, 06:48 AM   #17
no caste

Default Re: Red Letter Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthodoxymoron View Post
Are the actual words of Jesus viewed with the same reverence which the stories and theologies about him are bestowed with? What did Jesus say about himself?
Here's one exegesis I found:

"Let us begin by asking: How many sons does the Bible tell us that God Almighty has?

1. Jacob is God's son and firstborn: "Israel is my son, even my firstborn" Exodus 4:22.

1. Solomon is God's son "He shall build an house for my name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom for ever. I will be his father, and he shall be my son": 2 Samuel 7:13-14.

1. Ephraim is God's firstborn: "for I am a father to Israel, and Ephraim is my firstborn." Jeremiah 31:9 (who is God's firstborn? Israel or Ephraim?).

1. Adam is the son of God "Adam, which was the son of God." Luke 3:38.

1. Common people (you and me) are the sons of God: "Ye are the children of the LORD your God" Deuteronomy 14:1. "For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God" Romans 8:14. "But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, [even] to them that believe on his name:" John 1:12. "That ye may ...

"What was he trying to tell us by constantly repeating and emphasizing to us throughout the New Testament "I am a human being," "I am a human being," "I am a human being"?. What had he foreseen? Think about it!.

"Do Christians emphasize this aspect of Jesus? The New Testament Greek word translated as "son" are "pias" and "paida" which mean "servant," or "son in the sense of servant." These are translated to "son" in reference to Jesus and "servant" in reference to all others in some translations of the Bible (see below). As we are beginning to see, one of the most fundamental reasons why Jesus (pbuh) is considered God is due to extensive mistranslation. We shall see more and more examples of this throughout this book.

"Islam teaches that Jesus (pbuh) was a human being, not a god. Jesus (pbuh) continually emphasized this to his followers throughout his mission. The Gospel of Barnabas also affirms this fact."
http://wings.buffalo.edu/sa/muslim/l...ch1.2.3.2.html

Back to UFO Jesus, it was just a thought for me. I'm not into occult or Masonic interpretations. We'd have to ask 777 - I read in one of his posts lately that humans have *33 vertebrae*. I continue to consider the Leonid thing though - something about it... has a mysterious attraction. So, I'm just exploring its astronomical possibilities, in the sense that maybe we humans rationalize celestial events and transmute them into religion, myth, belief systems.

That said, I do believe Jesus walked the Earth, was a super ethicist, street fighter (the temple!), was strung up like many others who historically kick imperialists' a*s. Is love revolutionary?