Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Resources > How To Learn About Stuff

Notices

Old 09-07-2008, 09:40 PM   #1
mudhog92
Avalon Senior Member

Default Solar power

Looking for input on solar power. What works, who is good source for info and parts. Just looking to have some back-up power when things go down. Keep few batteries on hand and then charge then with panels. Can't afford to go off thr grid with solar or anything that radical. Any input, advice, or experience would be appreciated. Thanx....
mudhog92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:03 PM   #2
Metamike
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Solar power

I just bought a 6,5 watt 14 volt folding panel. They make a 15 watt version as well. I bought a motorcycle battery that I can put the panel on to trickle charge it during the sunlight hours. By attaching a converter to the 12 volt battery, i get 240 volts (european) to run my battery chargers or what ever I might need for a short time. By stocking up on good rechargeable batteries of all types I can run efficient diode flashlights.

This is about as primitive as it gets. It would be better to use a 80 watt solar panel and a bigger battery, but heck. When the s*** hits the fan, we might need to be mobile.

This is my solution.

Last edited by QtesUKStoke; 09-13-2008 at 01:29 PM.
Metamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:49 PM   #3
reZak
Avalon Senior Member

did anybody try to ask lot manufactures of photovoltaic panels to get rejected photovoltaic panels for free? some of them may be repaired or just work on less efficiency. This topics is of my interest. what do you thing abou that idea?
reZak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:19 PM   #4
Nik
Avalon Senior Member

Coincidentally I found out about the following a few days ago:

http://www.earthtechproducts.com/p2588.html

Not sure if this will come in handy, but may give some ideas to someone!

Also stuff like Solar-Powered LED Flashlights...
Nik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:49 PM   #5
mudhog92
Avalon Senior Member

Well, went out to Harbor Freight tools and bought a 45watt solar panel kit with controller and 2 lights for $215 on sale. Bought 700w modified sinewave inverter, heavy as heck marine deep cycle battery. gonna hook it all up friday and see what I can do with it. The inverter should run just about anything, I know that mod sinewave is not the best for computers and stuff, but I gotta start somewhere. Will post later to keep up to tabs on how it all works. I bought the last one, clerk said they are selling well. More awake and prepping than I thought, good!
mudhog92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:39 AM   #6
Merkhava
Avalon Senior Member

Post Basic Solar Power stuff

For a basic solar power system you will need:

Solar panels - I bought mine off ebay. You should be able to get a good deal for about $5 per watt or lower. I bought a 75W panel on ebay for $332 which included the shipping.

Blocking diodes - you need this component in your solar panel output line to keep reverse leakage current at night time from bleeding your batteries dead. Some panels have the diodes already mounted in the panel, but I always add my own on the line, just in case.

Batteries - I found using Marine deep cycle lead-acid batteries was a good way to go. They are relatively cheap, durable and can handle deep cycling of the charge. I got mine from Walmart for $76 each.

Charge controller - This device hooks up to your Solar panel and regulates the charge current going into your storage batteries to keep them from overcharging. It has an input connect for the solar panel, and output connection to the storage batteries and another output connection to small DC loads. I got mine from ebay for $99. It is digital and displays solar panel voltage, charge current, output load current, temperature and time of day.

Inverter - this device converts DC into 60hz AC for running things you would typically power from your wall outlet in your home. It comes with a set of heavy duty alligator cable to grip onto your battery terminals. It has one or more electrical sockets for power loads. I got a 600W 3 outlet unit from Walmart for $120.

Solar is simple.... once you get into it.

Regards,
Merkhava
Merkhava is offline   Reply With Quote