Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Resources > How To Learn About Stuff

Notices

Old 10-04-2008, 05:58 PM   #76
Powerinourhandsl
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Amateur radio

My old 707,

these go on ebay for 100 to 300 dollars

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/ft707.html

and i sold this radio for 15 meters 2 weeks ago..

http://cgi.ebay.es/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=180289993500

Last edited by Powerinourhandsl; 10-04-2008 at 06:07 PM.
Powerinourhandsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:04 PM   #77
Pharaoh9969
Avalon Senior Member

Appreciate the correction, RZ. I have the $, what I need is the equipment and someoen who can show me the ropes. Hopefully someone in Florida near the Tampa area can help me with this.

Man Love!
Pharaoh9969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:22 PM   #78
R.Z.

As far as learning the basics (which I'm trying to do, now) ... here's a post I made in another thread on amateur radio:

Quote:
... here are a couple of useful links to get you started:

National (USA) Association for Amateur Radio (AARL)

Now You're Talking! All You Need to Get Your First Amateur Radio License, Fifth Edition (Amazon.com)

Apologies for the U.S. slant on these links - but if we're talking basics, the country of origin shouldn't much matter!
Old 10-05-2008, 11:19 PM   #79
oldpaganfreak
Avalon Senior Member

an equilavent publication aimed at canadian regulations, is RAC Study Guide for the Basic Exam, available through the Radio Amateurs of Canada website.
oldpaganfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:13 PM   #80
Gardavkra
Avalon Senior Member

Hi Bill, I'm also a ham radio operator and also a volunteer examiner. I should be able to answer any question dealing with ham radio. I started another thread about ham radio here and then found this thread that you started. I would be glad to answer any questions, in a non-technical manner, that I can. It's farely easy to get a license now since the requirements have been relaxed over the last few years and Morse code is not required anymore.
Gardavkra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:24 PM   #81
Topper
Avalon Senior Member

xxx

Last edited by Topper; 11-08-2008 at 10:44 PM.
Topper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:38 PM   #82
Gardavkra
Avalon Senior Member

Sorry Topper. I don't know where you got your information from but, ham radio in the U.S. is not illigal, if you have a licence. I know because, I'm a licensed ham. I'm also an examiner for licensing.

I've been reading through some of these posts and have noticed that there is some bad and misleading information. I'm wondering how many people here actually hold a valid license? Some say they have been licensed for years but, a license is only good for ten years and then it has to be renewed. That is free, by the way. There is a grace period but, if you don't renew within that period you have to start all over again.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:49 PM   #83
R.Z.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardavkra
I've been reading through some of these posts and have noticed that there is some bad and misleading information.
Yes G. - unfortunately, there is more than a little disinformation here (the site in general, not just this thread). It is to be expected, due to the potential of the target audience, should they be empowered by actual truth.

Please contribute a little when you can, covering the basics at first - for the benefit of those just getting started. If you feel good about it, as things progress, maybe your contributions can become more advanced.

I'll be going in mid-December to take my technician class licensing test & have to admit I'm finding the study a challenge. Are there any areas that you'd suggest I pay particular attention to?
Old 10-29-2008, 12:22 AM   #84
Gardavkra
Avalon Senior Member

Hi RZ,
Is there a particular area that you find challenging? I first received my novice license 25 years ago and I can remember how I felt before taking the test. It was much harder then. Of coarse the old dudes before me tell me that if was even harder for them. We had five license classes or levels then compared to the three that we have now. We also had to learn CW (Morse code) and be able to copy it with increasing speed as we moved up through the license classes. Dang, I sound like an old fart! I'm mentioning this mainly for the benefit of others that may read this. Every country has slightly different requirements and licenses, by the way. Just about eveything can be found on the internet and I also want to mention that the license is issued by the FCC. The ARRL (Amatuer Radio Relay League is a good place to start if one is interested here in the US. It has already been mentioned by someone else. ARRL.org. I know you know this RZ, I'm just stated it for others.

Good luck on your test. I would just say to study the material everyday and you will do fine. I'm not a technical person myself although I work in a technical world. If I can do it, you won't any problem either.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:41 AM   #85
Waterman
Avalon Senior Member

The license cost $6 in the states.

There is a 2 year grace period if after it expires you have the option to renew.

In the meantime remember that it isn't illegal to use amatuer radio to render help for someone who's property or life is in peril. There still, so far, exists a few laws of common sense. If you want a hobby get licensed, if you want communications for emergencies don't let a license stop that from happening.

We must remember where the federal government is moving. And it is to centralize control. So anything federal is going to get more and more controlled, but that does not make it right, moral, or constitutional.

In the meantime navigate the landmines and stay in one piece.

73s
Waterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:00 PM   #86
Magus2003
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ryan View Post
We're in close touch with Henry Deacon about Amateur Radio and intend to post much more about this on Avalon in due course. There's already an introductory section about Amateur Radio here.

We're wondering if any other visitors are radio 'hams'. Many people (including us) want to learn. Some may be a little daunted.

What's needed is NOT technical expertise, but patience and an ability to teach and communicate with people who are starting from zero and wno may not be technically minded.

What might be very useful is a whole section of this forum devoted to an Amateur Radio Q+A. Henry Deacon would contribute, but is not in a position to lead or organize this.

Anyone out there?
Hi Bill,

I am a ham. Have been since 1996 when I got my licence after a 6 month course, but only played around with electronics and radio and not transmitted.
Just actually got back into it again and have purchased a top range transciever an FT-897, that enables me to use all the frequencies from HF to UHF. I am still putting it all together so by the next week or so I should be in the position for transmitting.

I am in the uk, by the way...

Paul...
G7NTB
Magus2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 03:08 PM   #87
capreycorn
Avalon Senior Member

that is a challenge using those radios..I still clearly remember how bad our radios worked in the army.these "old" radios would pick up nothing or just garbled rubbish from the police band (we weren`t even close to the police frequency!).we had to use mobile phones during field exercises..heard, that coalition troops sometimes had similar problems.

what are the chances, that satellite communication would still work?
capreycorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 03:16 PM   #88
David
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capreycorn View Post

what are the chances, that satellite communication would still work?
Stick with ham radio. In the event of a war. Satellites are high priority targets.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 07:32 PM   #89
Gardavkra
Avalon Senior Member

Hi Waterman,

The test fee is now $14 not $6.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:50 PM   #90
capreycorn
Avalon Senior Member

now, with a possble nuclear war scenario...
won`t a ham radio "go down" like everything else due to EMP?
shielding a device is not that easy...it was a long time ago , but i remember reading, that lots of copper (a net/foil) is needed to shield an electronic device it shall also not touch the device to be shielded and in addition to that, the shield must be very well grounded...
i`m wondering if the soviets have old EMP hardened radios for sale..

plus a good car for the day after EMP would be a old soviet built car ...or the east german (DDR) "trabant" (guess Bono of U2 owns one of those old commie cars)

ps: (DDR formerly also known as "east germany" would have had its national holiday on october 7 - the founding day of the DDR)

Last edited by capreycorn; 11-08-2008 at 08:54 PM.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:09 PM   #91
Operator
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capreycorn View Post
now, with a possble nuclear war scenario...
won`t a ham radio "go down" like everything else due to EMP?
shielding a device is not that easy...
Hi capreycorn,

Yes, unprotected a solid state device will likely be non-functional after EMP.
However shielding a device is easy .... it will probably not be easy to foresee the EMP coming ...

If you have a metal file cabinet just put in there ... (mind the isolation from the cabinet !)
Wrap it e.g. in a towel and then in tinfoil ...
If you really are in a hurry ... try the refrigerator !
(I am not sure if the door is electrically connected to the casing but your chances are better than nothing).

Most radio sets are made with a metal casing. If you have everything disconnected (microphone/antenna/power cord)
there might be a fair chance it will be protected by itself. Grounding is not needed and perhaps not even wise since
you connect a cable to it again ...

Cheers
Operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 09:30 PM   #92
Topper
Avalon Senior Member

xxx

Last edited by Topper; 11-12-2008 at 01:39 PM.
Topper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 09:42 PM   #93
capreycorn
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operator View Post
Hi capreycorn,

Grounding is not needed and perhaps not even wise since
you connect a cable to it again ...

Cheers

thanks for the feedback..i like the "fridge idea"

in one of your first posts (thread page 1) you mention grounding the case could be of help.....

i think that grounding might be good (grounding very deep into the earth) using several cables to ground "the shield" ...

but I`m no expert..

i think we need an EMP expert here!
Old 12-02-2008, 02:13 PM   #94
Magus2003
Avalon Senior Member

Finally got my ham radio set up and going.

If there are any hams here that would like to try a sched at some point on HF, then by all means just ask.

I am in the UK, and use sideband most of the time as I am still learning cw.

Paul.
G7NTB
Magus2003 is offline   Reply With Quote