Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > What’s Going Down > What Does It Mean ?

Notices

What Does It Mean ? What does this all mean for the Ground Crew ?

Old 01-28-2009, 02:48 AM   #1
no caste

Default Virtues of Unbifurcated Male Garments...

Clothing questions??????? As a lover of the manly kilt, what think ye of this noblest man's opinions?

Thursday, December 20, 2007
On the Virtues of Unbifurcated Male Garments
-- or --

"It's not a skirt, man, it's a kilt/sarong/lavalava/tunic/lungi/kanga/toga/whatever"
http://skysbigworld.blogspot.com/200...ated-male.html

Speaking as a male, I have frankly often found pants to be uncomfortable. Depending on how they are tailored, they often tend to pull down in the back when bending over (resulting in the famous Plumber's Syndrome), or to constrict sensitive areas of the body when sitting.

And then there is of course there is the simple logic of the question that must cross the mind of every thinking man, at some point in his life, at least once--namely: "If it is exceptable for women to choose between different forms of attire such as pants, shorts, capris, skirts, dresses, etc., why is it that we men are constrained to wear only trousers or shorts?"

Well, the answer is, from a broader global and historical perspective, we aren't. As the highlanders of Scotland, the citizens of Ancient Rome and the city-states of old Greece, as well as the men of Indonesia, Polynesia, parts of Africa, and elsewhere demonstrate, men have always worn and continue to wear unbifurcated garments (i.e., skirts, etc.). If you have ever had such thoughts, it's important to remember that you are not alone.

There are a number of options available even to the modern American man, from kilts to sarongs. Unbifurcated garments certainly have their perks, and they can be much more comfortable than pants under many circumstances. Concerned about what people might think or say? Well, it's common knowledge that women find kilts sexy. And furthermore, in the right situation, among enlightened people, wearing an unbifurcated garment can get attention in a good way, becoming a topic for conversation, and allowing you to stand out from the mass of trousered clones.

But don't take my word for it--others have plenty more to say about this. Here are just a couple of selected links I found particularly useful and/or inspiring, if you wish to educate yourself more, or just seek moral support.

For a general treatment on "male unbifurcated garments" in general [Unbifurcated Rebellion!]:
http://www.destinyslobster.com/unbifurcated/index.html

More specifically devoted to kilts, the official site of the "Bravehearts":
[Trouser Tyranny] http://www.kiltmen.com/
Old 01-29-2009, 08:40 AM   #2
giovonni
Avalon Senior Member

Thumbs up Re: Virtues of Unbifurcated Male Garments...

I'm with you a 100% on this> no caste!
I wore a friars habit and sandels for a while and it was great!

Unlike the others, I did not wear much underneath

Wherever > I < incarnated from> I'm quite sure> I wasn't wearing a coat and trousers as regular attire?

giovonni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:02 AM   #3
She-Ra
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Virtues of Unbifurcated Male Garments...

Men have been wearing skirts and wraps/togas for thousands of years and still do in many parts of Asia (many Asian men will put one on at home from work as soon they get home and change clothes and will wear them casually when not at work), Africa and the indigineous peoples in other areas. I don't know who came up with the stupid idea that these garments are 'un-masculine', they are worn from men to male 'Gods' in various religions, from the effeminate ones to the most maculine - who gives a c.r.a.p except from those superficially engaging their brains? The same has happened with make up and hair removal - men who wear make up are frowned upon/made fun of unless they are public/tv/thespian figures and women who don't remove body hair on display are subject to public humiliation.

Just to add to the kilts and sarongs in the Western world, you can also get 'goth/industrial' skirts for men.

Last edited by She-Ra; 01-29-2009 at 10:06 AM.
She-Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:54 AM   #4
no caste
Avalon Senior Member

National Kilt Day? (Canada), courtesy NDP MP ....
not sure what a 'kingom' is ... anyway, as long as everyone can wear one
and even make ***** up, like tartans - i want a paisley one.

Peter Stoffer's kingom for a National Tartan Day
Published on Friday, Jan. 15, 2010 5:18PM EST

Members of Ottawa's Sons of Scotland Pipe Band tune up before the start of the Tartan Day Parade in New
York on April 8, 2006.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1433105/

no caste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:57 PM   #5
hippihillbobbi
Avalon Senior Member

YAAY! we've struck a blow for the Equality of Men, specifically! i TOTALLY agree--just makes good common sense, if you ask me. thanks for bringing this important topic to our attention, no caste. and BRAVO to the rest of you ladies for your progressive thinking. after all, it is the "New Millenium!"

love,

hippihillbobbi
hippihillbobbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 02:28 PM   #6
burgundia
Avalon Senior Member

yeah! men showing their legs....
it's time for sexy mini-skirts for men..and guess where my eyes will look when talking to them...
burgundia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 02:32 PM   #7
iainl140285
Avalon Senior Member

Never felt more comfortable than when I have my kilt on
iainl140285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 03:46 PM   #8
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

As a "true Scotsman" I have worn the kilt on social occasions, mainly weddings.
I have to say it made me feel great for several reasons. I felt proud of my heritage, it suits my stocky frame.
I felt sexy, yes men do.
I felt attractive.
I had all kinds of nice thoughts about what a woman might be encouraged to find out for herself.
Enough of that Christopher!!!

Unfortunately the majority of people who wear kilts in the Highlands are those not born here but have fallen in love with the country and decided to sell up all to be here. They set a good example.
It very healthy to dress that way, I suspect women would not have thrush if they did away with encumbrances underneath skirts.

Thats my thoughts on the matter.
Chris
greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 04:08 PM   #9
Fredkc
Project Avalon Member

Kilt: (n.) A costume sometimes worn by Scotsmen in America and Americans in Scotland.

Ambrose Bierce - Devil's Dictionary

Evil cannot be killed. Only redeemed.

Chat us up at: Avalon Chat
Fredkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 04:09 PM   #10
giovonni
Avalon Senior Member

Talking Re: Virtues of Unbifurcated Male Garments...

OH Chris

"It very healthy to dress that way, I suspect women would not have thrush if they did away with encumbrances underneath skirts."

After reading this~ I was prompted to clear my throat for some odd memorable reason
giovonni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 04:11 PM   #11
no caste
Avalon Senior Member

Kilts and .... capes! often go together for colder climes

this one came up - tara cape

cf tara

all quite medieval
no caste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 04:12 PM   #12
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredkc View Post
Kilt: (n.) A costume sometimes worn by Scotsmen in America and Americans in Scotland.

Ambrose Bierce - Devil's Dictionary
You got it.
Laughing.
Maybe I should go live in America.

You know I want to.

Wear the kilt.

Its the Scotsman in me.

Ch
Old 03-16-2010, 12:36 PM   #13
NewParadigmGuy
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
As a "true Scotsman" I have worn the kilt on social occasions, mainly weddings.
I have to say it made me feel great for several reasons. I felt proud of my heritage, it suits my stocky frame.
I felt sexy, yes men do.
I felt attractive.
I had all kinds of nice thoughts about what a woman might be encouraged to find out for herself.
Enough of that Christopher!!!

Unfortunately the majority of people who wear kilts in the Highlands are those not born here but have fallen in love with the country and decided to sell up all to be here. They set a good example.
It very healthy to dress that way, I suspect women would not have thrush if they did away with encumbrances underneath skirts.

Thats my thoughts on the matter.
Chris
You certainly seem experienced and knowledgeable in all things kilt, so maybe you could help with something I've always wondered about... Does one wear underwear with a kilt? And if so, should they be boxers or briefs?
NewParadigmGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:39 PM   #14
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewParadigmGuy View Post
You certainly seem experienced and knowledgeable in all things kilt, so maybe you could help with something I've always wondered about... Does one wear underwear with a kilt? And if so, should they be boxers or briefs?
Honestly it up to the wearer.
The Scottish Soldiers don't.
I didn't.
Hope this helps.
Chris