Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Global Ground Crew Networking > South America

Notices

Old 10-28-2008, 01:24 AM   #51
DMAN
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Ecuador farm sanctuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by asteram View Post
I'm not sure that I understand. How do you test the soil for mineral content? I send a sample to a soil testing laboratory.

And yes, I'm aware of the work with fungi that eat up oil spills and decontaminate soil, but surely you are not trying to grow food on a soil contaminated with oil?
Some people get land and don't not what has been dumped. And yess if you watch the levels of hydrocarbons. Ive seen 2500ppm go down to 200ppm in 3 months. So yes with a little work you can reclaim your land. Oyster mushrooms will do this, and from what I know I would have know problem eating them. Many other things do this as well so if you have the right combination of spores you can really do wonders.
As for testing I have a probe with a little water I can see almost everything in there. There are a few test though, and they can all be done at home. heres a link, though this is not the tool I use, they some it up .http://www.lamotte.com/pages/soil/index.html We can do these things and much more. WHy even work on the land if you could not fix it, and eat, and live?! the key word is RECLAIM
build your own kit http://soils.usda.gov/SQI/assessment/test_kit.html
http://www.farmnetservices.com/direc...esting-Probes/

Last edited by DMAN; 10-28-2008 at 02:31 AM.
DMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:38 AM   #52
DMAN
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahunamahalo View Post
Conde,
I have a question. Why not stay and try to fix things instead of running away? I don't get it.
Well I Live In las Vegas..........
Who is going to feed my family.
People are losing jobs from outsourcing and contracts and for what, for the few, not the many. I need some balance and a real sense of community. I want to help, I am embarassed that I see things the way they are. I feel are fathers lets us down. So I will make way. Let some one else hold these ideas true, because I dont. You can have it. Im going back to the land.
She needs me like I need her.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:15 AM   #53
asteram
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMAN View Post
Some people get land and don't not what has been dumped. And yess if you watch the levels of hydrocarbons. Ive seen 2500ppm go down to 200ppm in 3 months. So yes with a little work you can reclaim your land. Oyster mushrooms will do this, and from what I know I would have know problem eating them. Many other things do this as well so if you have the right combination of spores you can really do wonders.
As for testing I have a probe with a little water I can see almost everything in there. There are a few test though, and they can all be done at home. heres a link, though this is not the tool I use, they some it up .http://www.lamotte.com/pages/soil/index.html We can do these things and much more. WHy even work on the land if you could not fix it, and eat, and live?! the key word is RECLAIM
build your own kit http://soils.usda.gov/SQI/assessment/test_kit.html
http://www.farmnetservices.com/direc...esting-Probes/
Last I checked the LaMotte soil test kit was around $800. I send samples to the testing lab, they test for 12 different minerals, get the results back to me within a week, and charge $20. I wouldn't mind having the LaMotte kit, but I don't mind paying the lab $20.

I'm familiar with Paul Stamets' work with oyster mushrooms. But y'know, there really isn't any need to try to grow food on contaminated land; there's plenty of clean land around. Decontaminate soil and grow a lawn or ornamentals, not food. Grow food on clean land.
asteram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:56 AM   #54
DMAN
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Last I checked the LaMotte soil test kit was around $800. I send samples to the testing lab, they test for 12 different minerals, get the results back to me within a week, and charge $20. I wouldn't mind having the LaMotte kit, but I don't mind paying the lab $20.

I'm familiar with Paul Stamets' work with oyster mushrooms. But y'know, there really isn't any need to try to grow food on contaminated land; there's plenty of clean land around. Decontaminate soil and grow a lawn or ornamentals, not food. Grow food on clean land.

I gave the example, that people don't really know what is on there land or what has been there. So, as a precushion and preventive maintenance well, ya'know. Paul dose not work with just oysters, there is a broad spectrum of these little fellers to do the job thoroughly. some people have to save there land. not just move next door(sweep it under the rug). You can over time make a kit for about 300 that will last and can be shared. Yes this is not for all. Some people cant cook let alone take a ph and do a comparison. And we need to clean our land so we can drink its water ext..............
To say its not clean, is just your fear of what it was. These ideas(home testing need to be known not to be outsourced to a lab. Plus you have to test different areas at different times to achieve an accurate read. Pass it down to your kids or friends, Also never do these things alone, they can be costly but not in the long run. Its like buying solar panels,costly but worth every penny.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:05 AM   #55
asteram
Avalon Senior Member

I'm not arguing against the ability to detox oil spills and contaminated soil. I use a product called BioZome which is a collection of primitive archaeobacteria collected from harsh environments around the world. It will break down even nasties like dioxins and chlorinated hydrocarbons. I use it to jump-start compost and to seed new garden soils and crops with beneficial bacteria.

I also use a product called MycoApply MAXX that is mostly symbiotic fungi with some beneficial bacteria added. It's not from Stamets, but from mycorrhizalsolutions.com, IIRC. I'm aware of this stuff, though my main focus is soil minerals. Check out my web site: www.soilminerals.com lots of free iinfo on soil mineral balancing.

If one is forced to grow crops on a city lot, i agree it would be a good idea to decontaminate it first. If one has country property where the fields have had many years of pesticides used, ditto. I would still advise anyone growing food for their family to find the cleanest land they can unless they have no choice, but I still recommend a fungi-bacteria package for all new gardens and crop fields.

The LaMotte test and the standard soil test have different purposes. The standard test measures reserves, what is potentially available. The LaMotte test measures what is immediately available. I have a hard enough time convincing people just to spend $20 on a standard test.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:17 PM   #56
DMAN
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
I'm not arguing against the ability to detox oil spills and contaminated soil. I use a product called BioZome which is a collection of primitive archaeobacteria collected from harsh environments around the world. It will break down even nasties like dioxins and chlorinated hydrocarbons. I use it to jump-start compost and to seed new garden soils and crops with beneficial bacteria.

I also use a product called MycoApply MAXX that is mostly symbiotic fungi with some beneficial bacteria added. It's not from Stamets, but from mycorrhizalsolutions.com, IIRC. I'm aware of this stuff, though my main focus is soil minerals. Check out my web site: www.soilminerals.com lots of free iinfo on soil mineral balancing.

If one is forced to grow crops on a city lot, i agree it would be a good idea to decontaminate it first. If one has country property where the fields have had many years of pesticides used, ditto. I would still advise anyone growing food for their family to find the cleanest land they can unless they have no choice, but I still recommend a fungi-bacteria package for all new gardens and crop fields.

The LaMotte test and the standard soil test have different purposes. The standard test measures reserves, what is potentially available. The LaMotte test measures what is immediately available. I have a hard enough time convincing people just to spend $20 on a standard test.
no agument here but, building a kit would be more effective for more land and a accurat kit is avalible for more than just potintial availablity. Your site ive seen the last time you put it up. But I do this on my own and I think others should to. WE all need to do somthing and i understand biz but the test are to determain what is or is not there and then you add or subtract what you need. plase dont get me wrong you site is good for those who cant or wont learn. you make it simple for them like fast food. I know its not easy. I dont think there is one thing that you can put done that will keep the ratios balanced anyway thats why we test for all those different elements, to determain the recipe. sorry I sond this way. its just not that hard and not that simple either, It depends who you are. Like you and me take the time to try and learn these things while others just follow. teach a man to fish oh biozome is good to and I like the combination of your blooms products. friend

Last edited by DMAN; 10-31-2008 at 02:33 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:49 PM   #57
asteram
Avalon Senior Member

"WE all need to do somthing and i understand biz but the test are to determain what is or is not there and then you add or subtract what you need. plase dont get me wrong you site is good for those who cant or wont learn. you make it simple for them like fast food. I know its not easy. I dont think there is one thing that you can put done that will keep the ratios balanced anyway thats why we test for all those different elements, to determain the recipe."

Not everyone is interested in learning soil mineral balancing or agronomy. I have been pushing the soil mineral message for years and it is not easy. What people want is what you said, a magic bullet that solves all problems. It isn't going to happen. The BLOOM fertilizer we sell has everything needed to grow great food, but it is expensive and no way could a farmer afford to use it on acreage. The trace mineral amendment we sell covers only the minor and trace minerals, not the major ones like Ca, Mg, N, P, and K.

The problem is that even if people get the concept of mineral balanced soil = healthy plants, people, and animals, very few are willing to learn how to do it. Most people get the purpose of physicians and nutritionists, but few are willing to study and learn to become a doctor or nutritionist, right? There are millions of doctors in the world, but only a few dozen real soil physicians with a focus on sustainable agriculture.. That needs to change, and my focus is on education.

Most gardeners of my acquaintance will spend a lot of money on seeds and garden tools but have never put out the $20 it costs to have their soil tested. The conventional organic wisdom (what my friend Gary Kline calls the sacred COW) claims that all one needs is more compost, more organic matter, more mulch. This is dangerously wrong if one is going to try to feed themself and others.

Glad to make your acquaintance, friend. Keep me posted on your progress with the home soil testing.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:14 AM   #58
Pacal
Avalon Senior Member

Smile Re: Ecuador farm sanctuary

Saludos a todos,seria bueno que en tu granja, tengas varias formulas con plantas para distintas enfermedades, en estos tiempos en que nos va a tocar vivir en dificiles situaciones en que la medicina escaceara, sera necesario estudiar las plantas que son una exelente alternativa para curar todas las enfermedades incluyendo el cancer.
Es bueno que se bajen este libro del maestro Samael Aun Weor que nos enseña que solo un ser vivo como son las plantas, pueden curar a una persona enferma inclusive a larga distancia.
Samael nos enseña que es realmente el alma de la planta la que cura, esta elementoterapia nos permite sanar a cualquier enfermo.

Imprimanlo y tengalo a mano que algun dia les hara falta.

http://www.gnosishoy.com/libros.html

Tratado de medicina oculta:

http://www.gnosishoy.com/libros/avan...scar.php?ur=36
Pacal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 01:15 AM   #59
LosVisionarios-Ecuador
Avalon Senior Member

Introduction:

We are intentional community located 10 minutes from the world famous valley of longevity name Vilcabamba, Ecuador in south America. We are part of the Utopian EcoVillage Network Federations and founders of the Federation. We are seeking people who have a strong desire to live communally. We are part a network of intentional communities throughout the world linked with similar values to support each other for the creation of a new society. The basic intention of our community is to be a pilot model demonstration of how to live in a real New World consciousness of sharing on all levels: financially, spiritually, mentally, emotionally and physically.

www.LosVisionarios.org
LosVisionarios-Ecuador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 01:36 PM   #60
Apollo11
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorsoul View Post
I wanted to bring up my personal scenario, which I am sure a few can related to, to see if i can get input on whether or not it is possible...

I quickly look at a volcano map of ecuador and I am seeing there are a few. Wanted to know how much of an issue this will be.

Thanks for reading
A group of us in the mid nineties got together two years in a row and discussed whre in the world create an IC. To make te long story short we ended up in Ecuador. Needless to say we researched many places around the planet pro's and con's and we were dozens of people at the gatherings in TO, Virginia. I know what you say about the volcanoes and you are right. Ecuador is one of the most active countries right on the ring of fire. We found a place south, where this activity does not affect the area. www.uevn.org
Apollo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 01:46 PM   #61
Apollo11
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy bodien View Post
Hello Conde and fellow Ground Crew!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volcanic_Seven_Summits
Ecuador is part of a Pacific Ring of volcanoes named "Ring of Fire"
The type of volcanoes found are high and steep-sided stratovolcanoes, which are known to have sudden and violent eruptions with longer periods of dormancy.

By Quito highest volcano in the world, the Cotopaxi.

Trying to make a logicial move and will be open to others view and ideas.

Regards,

Roy
Good point and you are right. A group of us already went through the TEOTWAWKI scenario as many members were concerned about Y2K in 99; so even then we had already been through all of this very valuable input/questions and arguments in this site. We had at a point close to 500 people in our discussion groups. Needless to say, we cover quite a few subjects in many different levels. We ended up with 42 requirements that the place we would move to should have and we found Vilcabamba. The location is about 725 Kms south of Quito and the most active volcanoes. See www.uevn.org for more info. Cheers, Apollo
Old 11-14-2008, 01:55 PM   #62
Apollo11
Avalon Senior Member

I admire the tenacity and courage of so many people beginning their quest to find land and prepare to close future events. I feel we all should follow our hearts and listen to the voice of the spirit. I must share with you that I did the same in the mid nineties and it was quite a lot more challenging than anticipated (It usually is with all endeavours no matter how thorough one think one is) Especially in a third world country/different culture/language/etc.. Not to discourage anyone, but to incentivate more people to work together and maybe even find existing settlements (There are so many of them) or to join forces; than to re-inventing the wheel/making the same mistakes/loosing time and not using others valuable experiences/knowledge/contacts/infrasructure/tools. etc. etc. If you think something takes you a year, multiply easily by three in Ecuador. Do not think with the same standards as in the US/CAN/EU etc. Been there and done that and several of us spoke the language/even had a local in our team. Time is of the essence, use it wisely. Do not be afraid as there is nothing to fear but be intelligent with your decisions and move forward.
Blessings, love and light, Apollo
Old 12-11-2008, 05:45 PM   #63
buckskintor
Avalon Senior Member

Hello to you all
I have just joined this form. My name is Tor. I have been in Ecuador sense 2005.I have just been reading the old post and catching up. I came here hoping to find a group of like minded people among the Latin people that can see what I see coming down in the near future and start a community with I must say it has been a up hill adventure. I have done what a lot of you want to do in Ecuador I did it back in Washington state and now I hope to do it all over again but this time with a group. I have a lot of building skills and knowledge on being a sovereign self-sufficient person on a piece of land. I have been all over Ecuador looking for land and I can help you there too. There are 52 volcano’s hear not all are alive and finding land that was not to close to one and had its own water coming from the land has been the biggest challenge for me. I would like to talk and then meet with you when you get hear. I am now staying in Ambato helping friend sale her place.
Tor
buckskintor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 11:36 PM   #64
asteram
Avalon Senior Member

Hey Tor-

Michael here. Howzit going bro? I'm still in Venezuela. Email me; I want to chat with you about Ecuador etc. michael.astera@gmail.com