Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Global Ground Crew Networking > South America

Notices

Old 09-09-2008, 04:32 AM   #1
raynbow gal

Default Costa Rica

Costa Rica is a pretty peaceful country - relatively inexpensive, good weather, and friendly to outsiders. It's just the two of us right now, and a hazy plan, but we're open. We've been community minded, working on organizing in Southern CA - Challenge is crazy expensive land and housing here. I'm a long-time organic gardener and hubby is super-handy with tools. Let us know anything relevant either to SoCal or Costa Rica. We gotta have warm weather!
Old 09-09-2008, 03:06 PM   #2
SunRa
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Costa Rica

i am from so cal... was staying in az for a while... am currently in the midwest, but have long studied costa rica as a landing place... i have not done more than look at other self sustaining communities online there, as well as price land a few times...
costa rica would be my primary objective,
if i didn't have this strange nagging sensation
that i am supposed to help fullfill energy here in the states...
best wishes
SunRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:31 PM   #3
Cymatic Veilbegone
Avalon Senior Member

We moved from SoCal (Hollywood) to Costa Rica last year on a very strong intuitive feeling I had. We are absolutely loving it so far. It has its own peculiar drawbacks, but all in all, we are extremely happy we did it. I can attempt to answer any questions you have about Costa Rica....
Cymatic Veilbegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 02:56 PM   #4
SunRa
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymatic Veilbegone View Post
We moved from SoCal (Hollywood) to Costa Rica last year on a very strong intuitive feeling I had. We are absolutely loving it so far. It has its own peculiar drawbacks, but all in all, we are extremely happy we did it. I can attempt to answer any questions you have about Costa Rica....
oh yes, i am interested... while i have somewhat resolved myself to remaining in the continental united states, i still have urges to explore costa rica...

i have done online searches of self sustaining communities in costa rica and seen many spiritually balanced resorts and commune type groups... i also read a very nice website written by an american who retired in costa rica... he gives lots of practical information about moving and living in costa rica...

one big question is, if i don't already own an american business, have money to buy into a self sustaining farm, or the like, how would i survive there? would i be like a serf working on someone elses land? sometimes i wonder if my own questions are absurd... i understand that many times my vision or ability to see what might be is very limited because of how my thought patterns have been shaped over the years...

tell me everything about moving to costa rica!!!

thanks
SunRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 02:40 PM   #5
Cymatic Veilbegone
Avalon Senior Member

well we've been here just about a year now, and heres my 2 cents...

We are on the Caribbean side, and haven't yet ventured over to the Pacific side, mostly because I get the impression its a lot more Americanized (McDonalds, condominiums everywhere, etc) I dont think thats true for the entire Pacific side, but its managed to keep us from heading over there.

Over here, its a lot more rural. Farms, large areas of Caribbean jungle, etc. Along the coast in the south there are several small little Beach communities with lots of international ex pats from around the world. Hispanics, Afro-Caribbeans, Canadians, Germans, Italians, and Americans...in that order. Many people speak several different languages here..along the southern coast you can pretty much get by with English and a handful of Spanish phrases.

The economy is tough the more inland you get, one would need to either be independently wealthy, have a job that they could do from the internet, or plug into the thriving eco-tourism market that is indeed hugely successful here. Another option like you said is to own a little plot of land and become self-sustainable (This is what Im hoping to do.) I have met people that work on communal type organic farms, who get paid and live on the farms. I havent done any serious research yet, but that is something I need to do soonish.

Along the both coasts, tourism is massive and there seems to be a much larger percentage of eco-conscious tourists here. We havent done a lot of interior traveling yet, but there seem to be little ex pat communities sprinkled around all over, even way up into the mountainous areas.

Legally foreigners arent allowed to work here, but everyone does and there are several ways to do it legally too: you can start a corporation through a Costa Rican lawyer, marry a Costa Rican, and I believe there are some other angles too. But almost every foreigner I meet is working here under the table, especially if you meet up with like minded Ex-Pats who own businesses here.

heres some things I LOVE about Costa Rica:

- 20% more oxygen in the air than where I came from (Los Angeles)

- Medicine for almost everything grows along the side of the road and in your back yard. Just ask any local about what plants or leaves you need for what.
Almost anything grows here. My friend spit out a pepper seed and within a week there was a sprout there.

- Most people are very friendly toward Americans here

- From what Ive been told, ALL the country's grid power comes from sustainable energies (geothermal, hydroelectric, etc)

- almost NO chemtrails; Ive seen 4 in 7 months - big difference from LA

- the stars... UNBELIEVABLE! Ive been all over the US in my life, in Europe and Canada, and Ive never seen stars like here.

Things I DONT like:

- everything here takes longer...you have to learn patience, especially with anything service related. They haven't got the "customer-is-important" thing down yet, and up until very recently the Govt ran most of them, so there was no competition, hence no incentive to be efficient. Ive pulled a lot of hair out because of this phenomenon.

- It a bit like the wild west. Sometimes, the best way to get something done is through connections or (lol) a bribe here and there.

- because geographically Costa Rica, Panama, and Nicaragua are a (at least land based) bottleneck for smugglers coming from SA, there is an element of gang/drug related activity.

I can tell you more if you like, not sure if this is overload already?...
Old 09-11-2008, 08:27 PM   #6
Peace of Mine
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Costa Rica Info on coming in by sailboat

We'd like to come to Costa Rica by sailboat. Are there other boats moored in the bays, not docked at marinas? Are there good sea breezes so one does not need air-conditioning? (We don't need it on the West Coast of Florida as long as we have the sea breezes)

Do you live in a coastal area? For a boater, which area would be best? Is there a reasonable marina? Does it have a website? What is the rent for a small house or apartment? Are local farmer's markets readily available?

Have you touched base with Avalon/Camelot style folks in your area?

How about cell phones/pcs providers? What is the monthly rate? I use a PCS card with my laptop to access internet. Is that doable? Is the signal reliable?

How about residence requirements? I have them for boaters coming in, but do people find ways around the 60 - 90 - 180 day limits? How?

And, last but not least, is there an area to get away from tropical storms and hurricanes? Do you have many? We sometimes "run" from the storms/hurricanes in Florida. (We survived Charlie with nothing more than a broken egg - it came right in on top of us!) Like most things it is a matter of preparedness and prudence.

THANKS for being available for questions!

POM
Peace of Mine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:39 PM   #7
visual co-creator
Avalon Senior Member

Last edited by visual co-creator; 10-03-2008 at 04:05 PM.
visual co-creator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 01:23 AM   #8
Cymatic Veilbegone
Avalon Senior Member

Are there other boats moored in the bays, not docked at marinas?
- We dont see many boats here along the coast, but I think its because of the huge beautiful coral reef here (lots of Pirate Ships sunk around here)

Are there good sea breezes so one does not need air-conditioning? (We don't need it on the West Coast of Florida as long as we have the sea breezes)
- We dont use an air conditioner, but it does get quite hot & humid sometimes in the afternoon. It is occasionally breezy, but usually quite calm. Depends on the season I think. The human body acclimates in about 3 months. We are way more comfortable than when we first got here, but there are still some days you want to go buy an air conditioner.

Do you live in a coastal area?
- yes. we are 20 paces from the Caribbean.

For a boater, which area would be best? Is there a reasonable marina? Does it have a website?
- Well, I can only speak for the Caribbean side (I think the Pacific has more marinas, but I dont know) ... they just scrapped a plan to put in a 300 million dollar Marina in near to where we are, due to local activism. Its a good thing, it would have destroyed the coral reef that feuls much of tourism here.
Theres an international port in Limon, but I dont recommend staying there , its not a safe-feeling place. On this side, at least from what I know, you want to check out Boca Del Toro in Panama. Its right over the border from Costa Rica, and has a nice calm marina.

What is the rent for a small house or apartment?
- Rents are awesome ..anywhere from 100 a month(VERY BASIC) to 500 a month(VERY NICE).

Are local farmer's markets readily available?
- yeah, theres local farmers all over the place. And an eco-agricultural school not far from here... plenty of places to plug in to for natural produce.

Have you touched base with Avalon/Camelot style folks in your area?
- THAT is what I hope to be doing on here. Im pretty deep down the rabbit hole and wish I had more people to talk with about it. My wonderful girlfriend agrees with some, but only tolerates most of it.

How about cell phones/pcs providers? What is the monthly rate? I use a PCS card with my laptop to access internet. Is that doable? Is the signal reliable?
- American cellphones dont work here. GSM phones I think are supported, but not 100% sure. But there are LOTS of internet cafes, and a lot of those have wireless. Not sure about the PCS.. We are on "enhanced" dialup (128kbps) and are supposed to be getting DSL here soon...but it IS Costa Rica

How about residence requirements? I have them for boaters coming in, but do people find ways around the 60 - 90 - 180 day limits? How?
- Loophole. You can only stay in the country for 3 months, but you only have to leave the country for 72 hours (verifiable by the stamp on your passport) and you can come back for another 3 months. There are also services where you never have to even leave your town.

And, last but not least, is there an area to get away from tropical storms and hurricanes? Do you have many?
- The storms never hit us here. I mean we just got the very outer edges of the last 2 that came through, but it just rained and thundered for a night and that was it. Look at Atlantic Costa Rica on a map where you can see South America too. We are in a huge natural cove. The storms dont turn around the corner of South America and go due west, and usually they begin way out to the east of us & they always head NorthWest so they miss us here. Plenty of rain though.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:47 AM   #9
Cymatic Veilbegone
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by visual co-creator View Post
Can we come live with you?
visual -
my girlfriend is pretty patient with me, but inviting someone we've never met is pushing it.Maybe if we got to know you a bit...
There is another angle here too: there are lots of foreigners that have vacation homes here and need trustworthy people to be caretakers for them. So its a win win- they get their house kept up and guarded, and you get a free place to stay. Not sure if theres a resource on the web for that, there should be.
Im really interested in the sustainable eco-communities - maybe we can do a Findhorn, S.A.!
Old 09-22-2008, 06:14 AM   #10
Esteban
Avalon Senior Member

hola, solo paso a avisar que he creado un blog en español con el objetivo de difundir información (mayoritariamente documentales, todos con subtítulos en español) y crear conciencia. Están todos cordialmente invitados a ingresar, comentar y debatir: http://www.proyectoignis.blogspot.com/
Esteban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 02:10 AM   #11
Carol
Project Avalon Hero

Aloha Ashatav,

Let me make this really clear to you. Keep this up and you'll be banned. I've spent the better part of an hour cleaning up the spam you left all over the threads. You do this one more time and you're out.

Mahalu Nui Loa,

Makani
Old 09-29-2008, 07:17 AM   #12
Esteban
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol View Post
Aloha Ashatav,

Let me make this really clear to you. Keep this up and you'll be banned. I've spent the better part of an hour cleaning up the spam you left all over the threads. You do this one more time and you're out.

Mahalu Nui Loa,

Makani
why sharing information is considered spam?
Esteban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:55 PM   #13
Pacal
Avalon Senior Member

Post Re: Costa Rica

Saludos a todos,seria bueno que en tu comunidad, tengas varias formulas con plantas para distintas enfermedades, en estos tiempos en que nos va a tocar vivir en dificiles situaciones en que la medicina escaceara, sera necesario estudiar las plantas que son una exelente alternativa para curar todas las enfermedades incluyendo el cancer.
Es bueno que se bajen este libro del maestro Samael Aun Weor que nos enseña que solo un ser vivo como son las plantas, pueden curar a una persona enferma inclusive a larga distancia.
Samael nos enseña que es realmente el alma de la planta la que cura, esta elementoterapia nos permite sanar a cualquier enfermo.
Ademas muchas recetas naturales para todo tipo de enfermedades, las cinco causas de las enfermedades, la ultrabiologia del ser humano.

Imprimanlo y tengalo a mano que algun dia les hara falta.

http://www.gnosishoy.com/libros.html

Tratado de medicina oculta:

http://www.gnosishoy.com/libros/avan...avanzados.html

There are some interesting sites in english:

http://www.gnosticteachings.org/online-books/

http://www.gnosiswisdom.org/

http://www.ukgnosis.org/
Pacal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:23 PM   #14
Christo888
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynbow gal View Post
Costa Rica is a pretty peaceful country - relatively inexpensive, good weather, and friendly to outsiders. It's just the two of us right now, and a hazy plan, but we're open. We've been community minded, working on organizing in Southern CA - Challenge is crazy expensive land and housing here. I'm a long-time organic gardener and hubby is super-handy with tools. Let us know anything relevant either to SoCal or Costa Rica. We gotta have warm weather!
I'm interested in dialogue, an acquaintance has very large parcel being held in Costa Rica. Plus interesting contacts here.
Christo888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:16 AM   #15
Angel in Disguise
Avalon Senior Member

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend any communities to visit in Costa Rica... As in self sufficient, eco minded, peace loving etc etc... Thanks
Angel in Disguise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:56 AM   #16
Cymatic Veilbegone
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christo888 View Post
I'm interested in dialogue, an acquaintance has very large parcel being held in Costa Rica. Plus interesting contacts here.
Christo! didnt know you had posted here. What is the region where the parcel is?
Old 07-06-2009, 01:59 AM   #17
Cymatic Veilbegone
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel in Disguise View Post
I'm wondering if anyone can recommend any communities to visit in Costa Rica... As in self sufficient, eco minded, peace loving etc etc... Thanks
Angel...there are many in central and north-western CR that are forward thinking. We are on the Caribbean side, but are looking to start something...of course it depends on selling our house near the beach...
Old 07-06-2009, 02:48 AM   #18
Angel in Disguise
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Angel...there are many in central and north-western CR that are forward thinking. We are on the Caribbean side, but are looking to start something...of course it depends on selling our house near the beach...
Thanks Cymatic... i will be there mid Aug for one month... Perhaps we could keep in touch and meet up?
Old 07-09-2009, 03:09 AM   #19
Cymatic Veilbegone
Avalon Senior Member

Absolutely - where are you coming from?
Old 07-09-2009, 05:09 AM   #20
Christo888
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Christo! didnt know you had posted here. What is the region where the parcel is?
Hey bro!

I couldn't describe exactly but it is a several hundred acre parcel being held for a friend of mine until she comes up with the money. Years ago when I lived in FL we worked on preliminary ideas for organizing it... I definitely miss the tropics... but ya never know! All too easy to switch from slacks and an office to a machete and a GPS.

Last edited by Christo888; 07-09-2009 at 05:11 AM.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:46 AM   #21
Cymatic Veilbegone
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christo888 View Post
Hey bro!

I couldn't describe exactly but it is a several hundred acre parcel being held for a friend of mine until she comes up with the money. Years ago when I lived in FL we worked on preliminary ideas for organizing it... I definitely miss the tropics... but ya never know! All too easy to switch from slacks and an office to a machete and a GPS.
well keep in touch - it so happens that I have a friend coming down this week to visit who is bringing 2 other friends who are ready to relocate to Costa Rica (they want to move by Oct) and they have money and are looking to potentially buy in to land or community. PM me if there might be some synchronicity there....

Last edited by Cymatic Veilbegone; 07-09-2009 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:56 AM   #22
Cymatic Veilbegone
Avalon Senior Member

OMG! look at YOUR edit time! And my post time was almost 4:44!
Old 07-11-2009, 07:01 AM   #23
Christo888
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
well keep in touch - it so happens that I have a friend coming down this week to visit who is bringing 2 other friends who are ready to relocate to Costa Rica (they want to move by Oct) and they have money and are looking to potentially buy in to land or community. PM me if there might be some synchronicity there....
I will PM you!!!
Old 07-11-2009, 07:09 AM   #24
Angel in Disguise
Avalon Senior Member

Hey I'm down for that... PM me too?... Community of likeminds is what I'm willing to invest into
Old 07-11-2009, 07:31 AM   #25
Christo888
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel in Disguise View Post
Hey I'm down for that... PM me too?... Community of likeminds is what I'm willing to invest into
Wow... that was freaky... your post numbers stayed the same from your last two posts... "88"

I guess I'll be PM'g you too!