Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Preparations / Advice

Notices

Old 01-04-2009, 09:27 PM   #1
She-Ra
Avalon Senior Member

Default Protecting Windows/Glass

What are the best methods of protecting windows and glass panels in doors from breaking in strong weather or by people/burglars?

I don't want to get a grille/bars for the windows, I was thinking of a shatter resistant film perhaps?

Any other methods and/or cost effective suppliers?
She-Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:31 PM   #2
alyscat
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Protecting Windows/Glass

All I can think of is the equivalent of roll down hurricane shutters. You can get them in metal or a plastic that doesn't break easily. (Lord knows, we have ads for them all over in Florida.) - the question, of course, would be how fast do you need them to deploy? Personally, I like the idea of bullet=proof glass (or plastic), but I have a feeling that's going to be expensive.
alys
alyscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:36 PM   #3
Dominic
Avalon Senior Member

I am in the process of building bars/grills for my windows. 3m makes a film that you should keep on hand it covers a broken window frame to keep the wind or cold out until the window can be replaced. I like old fashioned storm shutters.

Peace
Dominic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 01:33 AM   #4
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member

Your strategies for your glass windows are going to go from:

a) Making it so strong it can't break
b) Making it so well sheilded that nothing can reach it to break it
c) Allow it to break, but be well prepared to fix up the ones that do break.

Personally I like the storm shutters idea best, in Australia you can get fireproof ones for when you have a house in a bushfire zone. I would also like to keep some materials on hand to patch things up anyway. All of this costs a lot of money.

Keeping burglars out is easy or hard depending on the level of intent that the burglars have. Grilles wont even keep out determined burglars - and even if they are really good bars they just move the weakest link somewhere else - which is usually the roof.

A..
Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:43 AM   #5
She-Ra
Avalon Senior Member

Some excellent suggestions thus far, thank you. I think my major concern is people breaking the glass and that I live in rented accomodation so I have to see what I'm allowed or not allowed to do in that respect. The popular idea are the shutters but I'm hesitant about those because if I move I'd like to re-use them but they will be cut to size.

Dominic - I used to have bars on my ground floor windows (before I lived in a flat) and one was always coming loose and one could be twisted, you'll probably test them thoroughly though .

I'll research the the subject further and look into the shutters anyway just in case. It's something I'm more concerned about now since our clothes horse was stolen and that's just a clothes horse, imagine when things/essentials get restricted and people are more tempted.
She-Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 04:45 PM   #6
NorthernSanctuary
Avalon Senior Member

Here's some idea of the wind forces involved.

The wind force increases with the square of the speed (i.e. speedXspeed), and at approximate 100 mph, its 100 lbs per sq ft.

Examples:

50 mph -> 25 lb per sq.ft
100 mph -> 100 lb per sq.ft.
150 mph -> 225 lb per sq. ft.
200 mph -> 400 lb per sq. ft.
300 mph -> 900 lb per sq. ft.

A picture window that is 4'X 6' =24sq ft.

What you need to do to protect against wind force will be very much dependent on the wind scenario you are considering.

Hurricane wind can reach 150-200 mph.
Some expect the shift to create wind speeds of 300 mph (that's close to 1000 lbs per sq. ft!). No shutter that you can buy will protect you from that. The standard wooden house will not be designed for the worse hurricane.
NorthernSanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote