Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Preparations / Advice

Notices

Old 03-28-2009, 03:56 PM   #1
Egg
Banned

Default Survival bag with a difference!

Now I have been sent an item to look at, and its what I consider to be the most ingenious piece of kit for an emergency bag I have ever seen.

A brief description.

Made of the same material as the aluminium space blankets, with silver heat retaining inside, bright emergency orange on the outside and here is the absolute bit that gets a five stars vote from me.

It is a wearable coverall design (one size fits all) with velcro front attaching points and a generous hood for the head.

I have to admit I am stunned as to why I have never seen one before, as they are awesome. No longer do you need to shiver in your bag, unable to move around or complete tasks - you just get into the suit, secure it all up, and carry on with what ever needs doing until the time is right for you to get into more secure shelter.

I will post a pic as soon as I find out a web page as to who makes this piece of survivalist perfection.
Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 03:59 PM   #2
Egg
Banned

Default Re: Survival bag with a difference!

This is from a flickr page, and i assure you, this is not me. lol.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:57 PM   #3
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

I like it, I wonder how well it works in cold weather and how durable it is because it looks like it could rip easy. It looks great for rain!
Dantheman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 06:15 PM   #4
Egg
Banned

I will answer thus - its not very durable - designed as all emergemcy kit is - one use only, but, and its a big but, outside today is minus 1 in the wind chill, and I started to over heat in it, and I was just wearing a base layer top and bottoms.

I was also sat still, in the direct wind. The hood is very generous, the feet are totaly sealed in, so you can wear shoes over the top if needs be.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:48 PM   #5
Ammit
Avalon Senior Member

OOOOOh, do they do it in latex.lmao
Ammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:09 PM   #6
Zeddo
Avalon Senior Member

Whilst on the subject of survival, you really need to check out this instructional video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XsaC...layer_embedded

Z
Zeddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:17 PM   #7
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

Good one Zeddo, sounds like a couple guys from around my parts, LOL, I think they're both named bubba.
Dantheman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:32 PM   #8
Zeddo
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantheman62 View Post
Good one Zeddo, sounds like a couple guys from around my parts, LOL, I think they're both named bubba.
Heh heh heh, I thought a good laugh was in order. I enjoy the "nearly got away...." part !
Old 03-28-2009, 08:42 PM   #9
Egg
Banned

not worth it.

So I ask - whats the great pieces of kit you all have brought to peoples attention since your all such jokers in other peoples threads.

Last edited by Egg; 03-28-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:43 PM   #10
Egg
Banned

Last edited by Egg; 03-28-2009 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:11 PM   #11
Ammit
Avalon Senior Member

Being a bushcrafter, I would probably try and get folks to consider be fire starting methods and to carry a firesteel. Nothing more reliable for food, warmth and water then a fire.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:34 PM   #12
Egg
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammit View Post
Being a bushcrafter, I would probably try and get folks to consider be fire starting methods and to carry a firesteel. Nothing more reliable for food, warmth and water then a fire.
Yes, but what about the rest of their kit? an emergency suit to stop them getting cold and wet whilst they build that fire is as important as the actual fire. If they are soaking wet in a sleet storm and no water proofs, no amount of fire steel is going to dry them if they die of hypothermia first.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:48 PM   #13
Egg
Banned

As promised - I had to wait because I didn't have a link, and now I do.

http://www.gaelforcemarine.co.uk/Saf...rotection-Aid/

£10:95.

Bargain.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:09 AM   #14
Zeddo
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egg View Post
not worth it.

So I ask - whats the great pieces of kit you all have brought to peoples attention since your all such jokers in other peoples threads.
seems to me you need to visit the loo and get a load off buddy, lighten up. Stop taking life so seriously, no-one gets out alive, or have you forgotten.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:33 PM   #15
blastawaycas
Avalon Senior Member

[B]ZEDDO WITHOUT WISHING TO TAKE SIDES I FEEL THAT CERTAIN CONTRIBUTORS ON THIS SITE TAKE A LOT OF TIME, RISK, AND COMPASSION TO BRING TO THE AVALON FORUM NEWS IDEAS AND INFORMATION WHICH COULD ULTIMATELY RESULT IN PROBLEMS FOR THAT PERSON, IT IS IN MY OPINION NOT A BIT OF WONDER THERE MIGHT "BE A LITTLE TENSION", THAT SOME CONTRIBUTERS FEEL, BY THE SAME TOKEN THESE SAME CONTRIBUTERS DO SO FOR THE GREATER GOOD, THEY HAVE MY UNDIEING ADMIRATION AND RESPECT, NO GOOD IS DONE TELLING THESE CONTRIBUTORS "TO LIGHTEN UP", I FEEL YOUR CRITISISM IS WHOLEY UNJUSTIFIED. WITH THE GREATEST RESPECT KINDEST REGARDS DAVE CASTER
blastawaycas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 01:09 PM   #16
Zeddo
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastawaycas View Post
[B]ZEDDO WITHOUT WISHING TO TAKE SIDES I FEEL THAT CERTAIN CONTRIBUTORS ON THIS SITE TAKE A LOT OF TIME, RISK, AND COMPASSION TO BRING TO THE AVALON FORUM NEWS IDEAS AND INFORMATION WHICH COULD ULTIMATELY RESULT IN PROBLEMS FOR THAT PERSON, IT IS IN MY OPINION NOT A BIT OF WONDER THERE MIGHT "BE A LITTLE TENSION", THAT SOME CONTRIBUTERS FEEL, BY THE SAME TOKEN THESE SAME CONTRIBUTERS DO SO FOR THE GREATER GOOD, THEY HAVE MY UNDIEING ADMIRATION AND RESPECT, NO GOOD IS DONE TELLING THESE CONTRIBUTORS "TO LIGHTEN UP", I FEEL YOUR CRITISISM IS WHOLEY UNJUSTIFIED. WITH THE GREATEST RESPECT KINDEST REGARDS DAVE CASTER
Hmmm, point taken and respectful manner in which conveyed appreciated. However if we do not exercise humour then we are less than human. If you bothered to take the time you'll see that I too have made posts in various sections of the forums.

Please note that just by being a member of this community, such as it is, in this current day & age puts "you at risk". Nobody with a thinking mind under the current climate is free from exposure to those who would rather have us dead and buried. There are no heroes here (sorry, but that's the truth). Oh yes, you have absolutely NO IDEA of the work I do behind the scenes on this forum so do not take anything for granted, nothing is as it appears.

I shall not be held to emotional ransome by irrational outbursts by anyone who deems themselves superior to the cause because another had the gall to "post on their thread". By starting a thread, you invite interaction. Nobody has "ownership" of a thread.

I could go on, but at this juncture shall contain my ire and laugh this stupidity off while I am wondering just what the heck has happened to love and understanding.

Please understand this is not a jibe against you but rather that someone would actually toss their toys out of their cot at what was indeed meant to be humour. But hey, I gues the detractors to my post never read what I wrote, even though they took the time to watch the short clip and then call it a waste of time.

Methinks some growing up is indeed called for.

Z
Old 03-29-2009, 01:16 PM   #17
Egg
Banned

Zeddo - your post added nothing to the discussion nor topic. In fact, it detracted from it.

That annoys me - greatly, because if you read alot of the topics here on avalon it seems many people love to steer a thread way off topic, and then go 'well, it humour and we are human' or such BS and expect people to just accept that a topic is trashed.

I have a great sense of humour, just not when I am trying to show you some thing and not even completed my postings on said article.

You could of actually tried to add some thing maybe as well as adding a totaly irrelevant video?
Old 03-29-2009, 11:40 PM   #18
Antaletriangle
Avalon Senior Member

Yeah great,simple design- i have a survival bag and used it once i woke up to a soaking wet sleeping bag from the condensation from my breath!!Lol this seems alot more ingenious as your breath will escape into the air whilst your body stays insulated.
Antaletriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:47 PM   #19
Ammit
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egg View Post
Yes, but what about the rest of their kit? an emergency suit to stop them getting cold and wet whilst they build that fire is as important as the actual fire. If they are soaking wet in a sleet storm and no water proofs, no amount of fire steel is going to dry them if they die of hypothermia first.

Egg, dont ever rely on gimmicks, as you stated this was a wear once wonder, i would gladly swap my bushcraft skills and a firesteel for anything even if only costing 12 quid, does it repel sweat by the way?? as goretex does.

A good fire even if naked will warm you and stop the inset of hypothermia, sitting in a sweat ridden 12 quid piece of plastic will not. It will aid you in dying.

Spiritualism and hard faith, well i am an amature and need much advice from you lovely people as possible but, bushcraft i know the skills and live by them.
Wear it if you wish to run around and build a build a shelter and fire but me, no thanks, ill get down to me undies and then warm up thanks..
Old 03-29-2009, 11:53 PM   #20
Ammit
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeddo View Post
Whilst on the subject of survival, you really need to check out this instructional video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XsaC...layer_embedded

Z

Zeddo, love the video, made me chuckle and that is very good in my life. Thanks
Old 03-30-2009, 12:08 AM   #21
Ammit
Avalon Senior Member

OK, now i have that off my chest. I do not wish to offend you or any other person in any way EGG, but having suffered hypothermia conditions and having to survive 3 days, i know what cold is. You will do anything to keep warm but still stay clear of bad things that hasten the problem.

A good fire and a simple wrap would save many a life from hypothermia, wet clothes will increase the risk.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:03 PM   #22
Egg
Banned

Quote:
Egg, dont ever rely on gimmicks, as you stated this was a wear once wonder,
Read the title. It is saying in so many words SURVIVAL BAG WITH A DIFFERENCE. Its an alternative to the old use once throw away orange bag.

Quote:
i would gladly swap my bushcraft skills and a firesteel for anything even if only costing 12 quid, does it repel sweat by the way?? as goretex does.
Goretex survival suit? yeah I have one for sailing across oceans and it cost $1400. As for the fire steel - nice bit of kit. Blast match is better though.

Quote:
A good fire even if naked will warm you and stop the inset of hypothermia, sitting in a sweat ridden 12 quid piece of plastic will not. It will aid you in dying.
Tell that to the poor people who die each year in the mountains and remote areas of the world each year because they had no thermal insulation / ability to get a layer over themselves.

Heres the thing - Could you strip naked in the pouring apalachian rain, and then start making your fire? I'll reserve mortuary space for you. This suit gives you an ability to move about and prepare in an emergency unlike the restrictive survival bag where you have to sit still and do nothing in.

Quote:
bushcraft i know the skills and live by them.
Wear it if you wish to run around and build a build a shelter and fire but me, no thanks, ill get down to me undies and then warm up thanks..
Well, glad you don't teach then. If you gave that advice in a maritime survival course you would be laughed at by every one there. As for running around - why run? if you have no pressing need to get out of the rain / weather, you can slow and surely complete your given tasks. Massive exertion builds sweat, a slow steady work rate would be easily wicked away by your base layer until the said fire is up and you can basha up and get your self together.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:13 PM   #23
Egg
Banned

Quote:
OK, now i have that off my chest. I do not wish to offend you or any other person in any way EGG, but having suffered hypothermia conditions and having to survive 3 days, i know what cold is. You will do anything to keep warm but still stay clear of bad things that hasten the problem.

A good fire and a simple wrap would save many a life from hypothermia, wet clothes will increase the risk.
Your giving bushcraft advice but have suffered cold related injuries?

A wrap will not protect the legs, will not be on you when you have to bend down and move about - and if your under a wrap clinging on, what else can you do? nothing, thats what.

Wet clothes will increase your risk - but your comprehension is lacking badly here. The suit is for that time when all else has gone to bat poo, you have no fire, you have no shelter, and your in conditions that need shelter / fire / food. Hence, you can get into the suit and have a thermal reflective outer layer over all your nice wicking layers (you do wear / know what wicking layers are don't you?) and get to slow, steady work instead of having to run around in your underwear in the pouring rain / snow like you advice.

Why soak your base layer / middle layer when you could keep nice warm and dry? thats just plain stupid.