Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Spirituality

Notices

Old 10-26-2008, 10:29 AM   #1
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member

Default Spiritual Materialism

This is an error I make all the time. I wish I didn't. These days when I make errors, I get some kind of karmic backlash or "catalyst" condition that helps me realise what is going on quick smart.

I wish I were perfect, but I am not. I sometimes like to think I am wiser than I am. This can make me sound condescending or arrogant. I don't think I am, but an error is an error - and when I do it here it really ticks people off. I might even be doing it now.

As an incarnated human wanderer, I landed with a complete set of baggage, repleat with all the neat spiritual tools and gizmo's, but like lots of us, I lost the frikkin' instructions. Worse still I seem to have acquired an ego that paints a picture of myself to myself - and which actually leaks out as I relate to others. This ego, gets proud - especially when I work out how to use some of the tools in my kitbag that I forgot how to operate before. It likes to sneak in demonstrations and wow the audience, but that is so bad. Its like eating cake when you know you should be fasting.

So anyway, that ego frequently gets me into all sorts of trouble and recently I was lead into a bit of a spiritual materialism trap. As it seems to be these days, Karma was swift in the application of corrective measures. A pain manifested in my throat that made it difficult to keep talking. I could sense something was up so I asked "myself" internally what the problem was, and was rather humbled to get the answer along the lines of "your ego is the problem". How embarrassing. Well I already knew where I had gone wrong - that is in the nature of eating cake when you shouldn't right? So I decided to fess up and told the person I was talking to, and was rather humbled with "We all have egos mate". Thanks - you know who you are and it helped that you understood.

So to recap, elements of my conversation, ego driven, had been spiritually materialistic - resulting in a spiritual kung-fu chop to the throat. Figured out what was wrong. Stopped it. Pain was gone next day. Hooray!

There is a nice definition here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiritual_materialism

My definition is: the treatment of your spiritual gifts/abilities as possessions, potentially with glamorous or awe inspiring qualities, or as objects that can provide status, or means of feeding the ego through recognition.

I am sorry that I do this sometimes. I think I have forgiven myself but I can't promise it won't happen again, but I will try.

A..

Last edited by Anchor; 12-24-2009 at 11:08 PM.
Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 10:36 AM   #2
Elephant Man
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Spiritual Materialism

Nice
Elephant Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:06 PM   #3
RubyTuesday
Avalon Senior Member

Excellent post, Anchor.

I'm also in process of working through some of my own and haven't been as active on forums lately as a result. I'm an "advice giver" and have been slowly realizing that every bit of advice I give, from my heart, is meant for me as well just as much as it is meant for another. It was quite a personal revelation and knocked my ego down a few notches. It was much easier spouting off oh so great advice for others but not asking those same tough questions of myself or applying what I was telling others to my own journey.

Thank you, Anchor. May we all keep growing and having fun doing it!
RubyTuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 03:22 AM   #4
Reunite
Avalon Senior Member

Reunite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 04:09 AM   #5
SuperManny
Avalon Senior Member

Anchor - thanks for a good old-fashioned straight-from-the-heart post!

I have a friend who can always do that. Every time he gets any kind of pain, he can always trace it back to what he calls an "unloving thought". He does some forgiveness work and *Presto!* the pain is gone.

For some reason it's never that easy for me ... yet!
SuperManny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:46 AM   #6
Heretic
Avalon Senior Member

Your not alone Anchor

my ego is enemy #1

considered armed and dangerous and is at large sometimes

my only medicine for this disease is to close my eyes and go to a place

one that fills me with awe and humility, where my significance is put into perspective

then my ego is put back into its cage, only to escape again later no doubt

Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:05 PM   #7
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member

It seems to be fashionable to bump old threads at the moment. I noted an oblique reference to the phenomena of spiritual materialism in the posts here today and I figured its something to have in mind - especially at Christmas - one of the most materialistic times of year in the first world
Old 12-25-2009, 01:07 AM   #8
Leunamros
Project Avalon Member

To blame your "ego" of your faults is irresponsible. Blame yourself, you are the only one responsible of your actions. Unless you decide to be another powerless creature that gives up your power to whatever other trendy idea, entity, or confluence of forces, just to avoid being embarrased by looking yourself at the mirror.
Leunamros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 05:07 AM   #9
StephenBailey
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leunamros View Post
To blame your "ego" of your faults is irresponsible. Blame yourself, you are the only one responsible of your actions. Unless you decide to be another powerless creature that gives up your power to whatever other trendy idea, entity, or confluence of forces, just to avoid being embarrased by looking yourself at the mirror.

Leunamros, (in regards to Anchor's post) I didn't feel Anchor was separating himself from his ego. I bet he knows the ego is a part of him... therefore not placing blame on something other than him self.

Either way (even if you did place your blame on ego), I applaud you for striving to become better Anchor. Seeing ones faults and striving to correct them is very honorable.

I believe it's natural for mistakes to be made in this time/place (maybe even intentional). At times I know I should be living as my higher being. If I had not had experienced some things when I was younger, I would be very angry (and extremely disappointed) with myself and others because of the irresponsibility that I see in this life.

When it comes down to being responsible for choices, actions, & effects. I'm unmovable in knowing the connection.

I certainly take 100% responsibility for my actions and effects. Good or bad, I wouldn't have it any way except to take responsibility for what I am, do, create, & affect (In deed this is certainly our power Leunamros). But I do have to say that there are powerful outside influences that persuade negative actions, and people on Earth (here/now) are submersed in these influences.

Before living this life I would say that humans on earth deserve hell if they choose to create it (I still believe that). Even now I can hear the old me sometimes says "humans deserve hell!" (because they/we create it), but a split-second later my higher self envisions our current reality more accurately. I know how effected (or should I say "in-infected") we are.

It'll always be true that we're responsible for our actions (our creations & effects). We deserve what we create no matter where our actions take us (we deserve to retain the power of our beings & our effects). But now that I've gotten a chance to live here/now. I understand how powerful outside influences can be within a set-up system of darkness and deceit (Influences of society and way of life). I DO NOT give up responsibility of my actions & effects by identifying other influences. If anything It gives me clarity to know there are road blocks to simply being my highest self here/now.

No matter what the road blocks are (call it ego, or any other situation that keeps us from being our highest self), I still feel disappointed with the irresponsibility that I see lived-out here. BUT at least now I know there is alot more going on with behavior, then people simply choosing (whether consciously or sub-consciously) to be irresponsible.

I know we (Earth humans) have great powers. We're not weak or stupid like I thought (before I awoken to myself). But, I also know how powerful the road blocks are, which keep the people of Earth from being all that they can be. I don't blame the road block for our troubles, and I don't give up my responsibility because we have road blocks. I just identify the blocks are there, and do my best to over come them.

Earth is a school for learning, & I love this life!!!
I love the challenges which create opportunities to learn and grow! No matter what challenges we have, I'm absolutely grateful and appreciative for the opportunities that life brings!

One of the things that makes me most happy is to see others who choose to seek out and find faults. People who willfully choose to grow and become better once they identify a road block that might keep them from being their highest self here/now. (I'm sure everyone on this forum is here to do this and it's awesome! )

Thank you Anchor!
The post was first made in 2008. I wish your progress to be ongoing & sucsessful.

p.s.
sorry for the long post. I love the subject
StephenBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 01:23 PM   #10
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leunamros View Post
Thanks for commenting. If that is what I was doing then I agree it was irresponsible.

I dont thing it was what I was doing though. I have not yet transcended or mastered my ego. Sometimes it masters me - when that happens I still know I am responsible for the outcome - so does the universe - leading to the situation with my throat in the OP. The reason the throat was the point that was affected is due to the throat chakra, and my ego led behaviour (showing off) was being conducted through spoken words. There is a clear relationship.

I, that is all of me that I am conciously aware of: all that I know I am - mind, body and that which motivates it - take full responsibility for all of my thoughts, actions, words and deeds - with no exception.

It is my creed.

@StephenBailey: you understood me perfectly, and thanks for your kind wishes - I am trying

A..
Old 12-25-2009, 02:15 PM   #11
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Dear Anchor
thank you for your first post of this thread, it if filled with humility, the ego is not too fond of that.

Anything that is transient and of form is not who we truly are.
We are formless, manifest into form for the brief period of this assumed identity.

We are not the ego because it is changing its point of view all the time, however we are responsible for what it does, so to speak.

Its not an enemy just self centered and it is a great teacher. Eventually there is no more we can learn from it.
If it knew better it would do better.

We are all born into this life with one, it comes with the body and if we do not wish to return here and wish to move on then we need to transcend it, wish it well and surrender it to our creator.

The ego is just the buying into the "Me story in our head" all the I am this I am that, I believe this I believe that. All belief systems and constructs change over time, what we truly are is constant and unchanging, the presence within our mortal coil.
Eventually we evolve to the point where we realise we are as we are, does the bird need to know its a bird in order to fly?

Regards to all.

Chris
greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 02:45 PM   #12
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

The ego is materialistic and uses force where ever necessary to get what it wants, Self is Power and dosent need to.
Gandi freed India from the British without force.
All wars ( and they have been going since forever it seems) have been fought from the egoic point of I want.
Disagreement tends to come from. " Im right therefore your wrong"
Its ok for people to have different points of view, I dont mind people disagreeing with me, Id prefer they are not disagreeable, which is a different ball game alltogether.
We can live in harmony with our differences, can we not?

The book "Power versus Force" by Dr David Hawkins is an eye opener an Aha!!! moment.
Rgards Chris
Old 12-26-2009, 07:12 AM   #13
orthodoxymoron
Avalon Senior Member

The following rant is a bit off topic...but contains relevance regarding the subject of the ego...which has been touched upon in this thread.

What about positive thinking and self esteem? Are they in harmony with the Teachings of Jesus? Are they a new religion which is out of harmony with the Teachings of Jesus? What is the underlying principle in the Teachings of Jesus? Is it positive thinking and self esteem, or something else?

Without going into a proof text rant, I must say that I find positive thinking much more biblical than self esteem. Faith is closely related to positive thinking, and is well thought of in scripture in general, and the Teachings of Jesus in particular. On the other hand, self esteem is closely related to pride, and is decidedly not well thought of in scripture in general, and the Teachings of Jesus in particular. An extreme rendition of the joining of positive thinking and self esteem is 'I Am God'...which is not something that the Bible encourages its readers to go around proclaiming!

The problem is self delusion and self centeredness. Not facing reality is a form of lying. To yourself! Self exaltation is self centered. Self degradation is also self centered. The religion contained in the Teachings of Jesus is a Religion of Responsibility. To be responsible is to face reality, and see it clearly, and then formulate a responsible course of action, and then to implement this plan. It is duty centered. The focus is external...not internal. When someone lives responsibly, the byproduct is appropriate positive AND negative thinking (which includes both faith and doubt), and an appropriate self image. They are the fruit...not the root!

In other words, positive delusion is not the solution to negative delusion, and self exaltation is not the solution to self degradation. Responsibility trumps both positive thinking and self esteem! The religion of positive thinking and self esteem is not the religion of the Teachings of Jesus. The Religion of Responsibility is the religion of the Teachings of Jesus.

Please don't misunderstand my seemingly harsh stance on positive thinking and self esteem. A negative thinking and self degrading Christianity opened the door wide open to these teachings. They have come as a breath of fresh air to millions of people around the world. But some have found Peale appalling and Paul appealing! These twin concepts of positive thinking and self esteem have been corrective, but they should not be normative! A Religion of Responsibility, as found in the Teachings of Jesus is, in my view, the normative standard. Another way of saying this is Namaste Constitutional Responsible Freedom...which is a Secular Spirituality.

Namaste

Last edited by orthodoxymoron; 12-26-2009 at 07:27 AM.
orthodoxymoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 09:43 AM   #14
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthodoxymoron View Post
The following rant is a bit off topic...but contains relevance regarding the subject of the ego...which has been touched upon in this thread.

What about positive thinking and self esteem? Are they in harmony with the Teachings of Jesus? Are they a new religion which is out of harmony with the Teachings of Jesus? What is the underlying principle in the Teachings of Jesus? Is it positive thinking and self esteem, or something else?

Without going into a proof text rant, I must say that I find positive thinking much more biblical than self esteem. Faith is closely related to positive thinking, and is well thought of in scripture in general, and the Teachings of Jesus in particular. On the other hand, self esteem is closely related to pride, and is decidedly not well thought of in scripture in general, and the Teachings of Jesus in particular. An extreme rendition of the joining of positive thinking and self esteem is 'I Am God'...which is not something that the Bible encourages its readers to go around proclaiming!

The problem is self delusion and self centeredness. Not facing reality is a form of lying. To yourself! Self exaltation is self centered. Self degradation is also self centered. The religion contained in the Teachings of Jesus is a Religion of Responsibility. To be responsible is to face reality, and see it clearly, and then formulate a responsible course of action, and then to implement this plan. It is duty centered. The focus is external...not internal. When someone lives responsibly, the byproduct is appropriate positive AND negative thinking (which includes both faith and doubt), and an appropriate self image. They are the fruit...not the root!

In other words, positive delusion is not the solution to negative delusion, and self exaltation is not the solution to self degradation. Responsibility trumps both positive thinking and self esteem! The religion of positive thinking and self esteem is not the religion of the Teachings of Jesus. The Religion of Responsibility is the religion of the Teachings of Jesus.

Please don't misunderstand my seemingly harsh stance on positive thinking and self esteem. A negative thinking and self degrading Christianity opened the door wide open to these teachings. They have come as a breath of fresh air to millions of people around the world. But some have found Peale appalling and Paul appealing! These twin concepts of positive thinking and self esteem have been corrective, but they should not be normative! A Religion of Responsibility, as found in the Teachings of Jesus is, in my view, the normative standard. Another way of saying this is Namaste Constitutional Responsible Freedom...which is a Secular Spirituality.

Namaste
Good morning Orthodoxymoron
I dont thing you are ranting.
I might be wrong but I see it as a process.
A person may come from apathy into anger, that is a step forward, pride may follow. There may develope an interest in self improvment and genuine pride of achievement, positive think books may be read, there is a realisation that sucess is only possible with the assistance of others, spiritual search may start.
Bravery may conquer fear, eventually there is the realisation that bavey and fear are largly emotions-- points of perception, then they come progessivly redundant as they are seen as duality and realy meaningless, an arbitary viewpoint. One mans ceiling another mans floor. ie they mean different things to different people. A lion tamer might be ok with lions and frightened of mice.

There is a realisation that breathing happens by it self and many other things too, so one just does things without the need for self esteem, doing is a natural function, the ego can make the simplest things into a big deal, look at me Im special stuff, look at what I did. The ego restricts, sets limits where there are none.
All that said one has to go through the process starting where they are at.
Be kind to all life including your own
Chris Namaste,
Old 12-26-2009, 11:16 AM   #15
TraineeHuman
Avalon Senior Member

Ortho: self-esteem is a way of being positive – and probably a prerequisite for a person to be capable of being positive, at any time. Therefore, self-esteem and positivity are closely inter-linked, in my view.

May I also suggest that what counts -- and all that counts -- is positive being? Positive thinking without positive being is one of the main forms of hypocrisy. Didn’t Jeshua / Jesus make it clear he was against that – perhaps more passionately than he was against anything else?

I understand theologians have ascertained that at least 85% of the bishops in the first century Church post-Jeshua were Pharisees who had converted to Jeshua's teachings. (However, a "bishop" simply meant somebody who was able to read.) Given Jeshua's / Jesus' accusations that the Pharisees were stuck in hypocrisy, though, unfortunately I have to admit I wonder to what extent such people were successful in achieving positive being.
TraineeHuman is offline   Reply With Quote