Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Camelot Forum > Project Camelot > Project Camelot General Discussion

Notices

Project Camelot General Discussion Reactions, feedback and suggestions on interviews, current events and experiences.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:16 PM   #26
Angel in Disguise
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Curious: Avalonians: poll on career choices

This thread is producing some very interesting yet nonetheless not surprising results...
Angel in Disguise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:28 PM   #27
pyrangello
Avalon Senior Member

Started welding in the shops in detroit when I was 14,it was illegal but the best experience I ever got, did 4 years in the US Air Force got out started a welding business that grew into a wood shop, welding shop and remodeling retail stores, hundreds of them. That blew apart 12 years later and back to welding again and managing repo'd homes now too. Needless to say there is no lack of business right now. Still want to go into manufacturing.

One thing I have learned it's not about how much you have, it's all about finding the balance of whats really important. I gave up many good years chasing the all mighty dollar, hours, relationships ect. On the flip side though I have helped many ,many people out by having that vehicle to steer thru my life and to recieve a smile of thank you was always a pretty awsum feeling.

Last edited by pyrangello; 10-13-2009 at 08:31 PM.
pyrangello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:09 PM   #28
mntruthseeker
Avalon Senior Member

My job was always into accounting and I eventually ended up being a credit manager for a huge company. I over viewed A/R, A/P and credit anaylst functions. I absolutely loved working and I was best in a position to help people to save their homes or businesses. I felt I made a change and I never got tired of it.
mntruthseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:12 PM   #29
feardia
Avalon Senior Member

altar boy, revolutionary soldier, chemist's runner, steeplejack, roofer, pea factory operative, various agricultural, factory worker, community worker, dj, chinese food delivery, market stall holder, smuggler, audio engineer, musician, taxi driver, solicitors assistant, street cleaner, navvy, pork salesman, welfare rights adviser, concert promoter, events organiser, barman, single parent.
Have Mac, now work for the benefit of all,
one love...
feardia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:06 PM   #30
lindabaker
Avalon Senior Member

writing. moved from plays to science fiction.

Last edited by lindabaker; 01-18-2010 at 09:57 PM. Reason: new answer
lindabaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:14 PM   #31
GaiaLove
Avalon Administrator

Currently, IT and Logistics for R&D Company based in Hong Kong
Also..
  • Web Development in HTML, PHP, SQL, Java, Flash,
  • I own a flower shop which my wife runs and I do the deliveries for (Love giving people flowers, Makes my day watching their eyes light up)
and have done..
  • Demolition and Renovation
  • Bicycle Technician
  • Delivery (Pizza and others)
  • Emergency Communications Officer for a lo cal EMS Service
  • Warehouse manager
  • Alarm and CCTV Installer
  • General Appliance repair Tech
  • Hydroponic Gardener

Think that's it..
Of them all, Bringing people flowers has brought me the most pleasure. I may post a story I wrote after bring a terminally ill 90 year old woman a bouquet. I still cant speak that story wiithout my throat seizing up.

Click here to chat LIVE with other members of Avalon
GaiaLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:20 PM   #32
PilotSimone
Avalon Senior Member

I've been a stay-at-home mom for 9 years now. We're a homeschooling family as of two weeks ago.

Before that I worked in IT.
PilotSimone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:41 PM   #33
Wormhole
Avalon Senior Member

Currently a production designer in the film industry, art director, musician, fine portrait and modern art creator, faux finisher. I'm self employed and have been for a long time...

Peace of Mind,
Wormhole
Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:02 PM   #34
chelmostef
Avalon Senior Member

Carpenter by day, internet surfer by night. WaHey!
chelmostef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:10 PM   #35
Reader
Avalon Senior Member

Heavy equipment operator, firewood sales, waiter, bartender, cook, dishwasher
Realtor, Real Estate Appraiser for 23 yrs.
Now I work for the man, the State
However, my area is in real estate conservation, protecting land from those greedy developers, however, now the economy is doing a pretty good job of protecting land since no one can borrow to buy.
Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:24 PM   #36
Metaphor
Avalon Senior Member

Restuarant manager and musician (guess wich job pays the rent? )
Metaphor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:53 AM   #37
Gemeos
Avalon Senior Member

Hi Linda,

It's my turn now.

I graduated in Marketing Management and have done a post-graduation on Strategic Marketing. Five years after leaving the University, I was compelled to get back to study, but in a totally different area. I graduated from a 4,5 year course in Traditional Chinese Medicine, and now I do some marketing work at the office in the morning, and in the afternoon I practice acupuncture and teach TaiChi and QiGong.
Gemeos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 04:38 PM   #38
FIIISH
Avalon Senior Member

Great thread Linda!

I worked for about 9 years in the IT industry before health problems forced
me to take time off.

In the interim, I have been undergoing an awakening(more of a transformation) and found other ways to be of service.

Right now, trying to decide whether I should attempt to return to the game, or create a new one.
FIIISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:56 PM   #39
gscraig
Avalon Senior Member

Hello All,

Call Center Operations Management. I've been in management for over a decade now, and currently no longer working due to being a "whistle blower" of sorts with a company that is the industry leader (via U.S.) in what it does. My concerns were related to manipulating compensation information that we were asked to communicate to our staff, and I had issues with unprofessional and harassive management practices. Most, but not all coming from Senior Mgmt. Kinda got tired of seeing others "brown nosing" to feel valued or gain promotions, instead of simply performing well.

I got into management due to personal experiences and felt there was a better way. I believe you can give people direction and assist in their develop, only as a foundation to help them manage themselves. All of this while demonstrating respect and appreciation for each employee.

My main hobby, which I'm just now getting back into is creating/producing music. I've noticed and learned my life isn't quite as complete or happy compared to when I was creating music.

G
gscraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 04:00 PM   #40
Jnana
Avalon Senior Member

G,

I hope that works out for you.

J
Jnana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:23 PM   #41
Ross H
Project Avalon Moderator

At age 12, I Listened to "Framptom come's alive" album...that was it, I was sold, moved from playing Piano to guitar. Left school at 15...at That age...seems so long ago, I knew then, that there was something very wrong with the picture Did all sorts of work and was able to turn my hand to mosts things, however, against my Fathers better judgment (bless him) I relized It was music that made my heart smile, It was my passion, so at 21yrs I put myself through music school and practiced like there was no tommorrow.

Back then, most ppls, including my parents, thought it was a silly endevour, as being a musician wasn't a "real" job! Well...that just kicked my ass along even more! at age 41yrs I had performed 3000 show's, raised two daughters, paid off a mortgage and had become a music teacher! All due to the magnificants of music!

Moral of this story: If you know your passion, follow it with everything you have!

Peace always.

Last edited by Ross H; 10-31-2009 at 02:58 AM.
Ross H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:34 PM   #42
Steven
Avalon Senior Member

My first steps into working was lumberjack with my father. Studied in communication and became video document creator for human rights in Indonesia and Brazil. Came back to my country and became Electrical Engineer. It is what I still do today. Have a passion for science and spirituality.

Namaste, Steven
Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:25 AM   #43
Richie
Avalon Senior Member

This is fun.I like knowing what people do.I Have been into many interesting fields.I do not like crowds and I love working in solitude.My """X wife"" said.He don't like people.I was a childhood singer,Owned a beauty supply company,A biology major in college,was in 4 motion pictures and studdied acting for 2 years.Was a field underwriter for a major insurance companyThese things fed me but In earnest I studdy people and disected their intentions.I love to take things apart.My hobby is anything electrical.I live in the country near a lovely lake.I have a shop for tinkering.I am currently working on a G>E>E>T.reactor.I have pet bees.Yellow Jackets.Bees tell me when something is about to happen that is important.Its all about how they approach me.I love nature.I enjoy reading all about you.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:48 AM   #44
lindabaker
Avalon Senior Member

Thank you, everyone for posting. So many interesting and diverse occupations. I know this sounds corny, but, Wow. Please keep them coming...Linda
Old 10-31-2009, 06:00 AM   #45
Starlah
Avalon Senior Member

Post Re: Curious: Avalonians: poll on career choices

Feardia you make me laugh? He hee....Smuggler...

Duhh...where do I start? Telecommunications operator (when telegrams were the rage!), pot smoking hippie at Wreck Beach on Vancouver Island before they turned it into a National Park and paved the beaches, poet wannabe, college student (upgraded sciences), nursing student (only got to watch the hemorrhoid operations), nurses aide for the elderly, unit ward clerk (Urology), transcendental meditation for 10 yrs. (also a dropout when they told me I needed another course before I could learn to levitate/fly), university student dropout (trained in education/psychology), disarmament activist, tallyho driver/tour guide (horses), museum guide (Yukon), breakfast cook (Yukon), front desk clerk (hotel Yukon), waitress (Yukon), secretary lawyer's office, transcriber medical tapes, dishwasher, schoolbus driver, taxi driver, tour guide/bus driver, bed&breakfast operator, newspaper delivery, supervised access worker (working with children) vaccine activist...Whew!!
I've just realized why the job employment ads don't excite me anymore!
__________________________________________________ ___________
History is a lie commonly agreed upon...........................Voltaire
Starlah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:07 PM   #46
gscraig
Avalon Senior Member

Thanks Jnana.

I will be more than fine. This was expected and a long time coming.

Fortunately, while going through the mentality propanda with different directors, etc. I did notice a significant amount of changes physically and in behaviorally happening throughout the site. A number of major players from the corporate office all of the sudden were visiting, and I caught an ear on certain select employee meetings and it's topics. Which were related to that which I expressed.

So, though I won't benefit from my chosen initiative and knowing the likely consequences, at least others will. That was the focus of my intent to begin with.
gscraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:07 PM   #47
solent
Avalon Senior Member

OK, I will be totally honest with you guys and gals as you feel like family, so here goes.

Hated school as it felt totally irrelevant to me so left with little to no qualifications, started on a YTS (Youth Training Scheme) as a Bricklayer, which lasted until the first cold winter (about 10 months), then decided bricklaying was not my thing.

@ 17 years of age I became a professional dropout, just worked cash in hand doing what ever manual work I could find when I needed money, brought a motorbike and done some courier work etc, smoked dope and expanded my mind with various psychedelics for the next 10 years. I felt fine with not complying with society, just doing my own thing was basically all that mattered.

@ 28 I decided enough was enough and I should really do something a little more constructive, so learnt to fly (my father helped me with some funding), I found out that I was a natural, so took things further and became a flying instructor, then on to become an examiner, I had managed to save enough to purchase a 50% share of a plane so started a small flying school, after a short time I had enough to purchase the other 50%, so I then started putting my profits in to training for an ATPL (Airline Transport Pilots Licence), but business started to slow down in 2004 so stopped my training thinking I would wait it out and things would improve, early 2005 one of my club members totalled my plane (he walked away with just hurt pride, thankfully) so got paid out by the insurance company.

I had been travelling to Asia a bit so decided I would wait out the slow period in Thailand (cheap and fun), and thought when business picks up I would start up again.

Well, I am still in Thailand, own a farm (Oranges) which is no longer viable, own a house and married with a 4 month old baby boy, we pay our bills and feed ourselves by hiring out our 20 tonne excavator, we don’t earn much money, in fact we have to live a very basic life style as we have no money, but we are happy with this.

Looking forward to what will be…..

Oh, in my early twenty’s spent some time at one of the Queens resorts for possession of a little bit of cannabis (well a lot actually I said I would be honest but never mind, I've never hurt anybody in my life )
solent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:46 PM   #48
Lightpotential
Avalon Senior Member

Civil Servant. I work for H M Revenue & Customs.
Lightpotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:46 PM   #49
lindabaker
Avalon Senior Member

bump: for your enjoyment, eyeswideopen!
Old 01-18-2010, 09:51 PM   #50
feardia
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightpotential View Post
Civil Servant. I work for H M Revenue & Customs.
I've given up smuggling now that we're all in the EU
feardia is offline   Reply With Quote