Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Health / Alternative Medicine

Notices

Old 09-25-2008, 03:23 PM   #1
stresswon
Avalon Senior Member

Default Fish Oil/ Omegas 4 Arthritis

Hey avaloners! I was at my Neurologist the other day and as I was sitting in the waiting room, I was reading a study (can't remember which college) Apparently Fish oils are a very strong anti inflammatory for the body. (a study was done and the most notable changes were noticed in patients with Rheumatic arthritis) Effects usually won't be noticed until after 3 months, but hey, it's worth a shot. I started this month, so I'll be checking in with my findings.

PS:

For those willing to try or have tried fish oil pills and don't like the aftertaste,,,leave them in the fridge,,the cold kills the aftertaste.
stresswon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:16 PM   #2
rustanddust
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Fish Oil/ Omegas 4 Arthritis

fish oil has omega 3, which is essential to human health. it is not produced by our body and can only be obtained through our diet. walnuts, flaxseeds, salmon, etc are other sources of omega 3 fats.
rustanddust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 03:12 PM   #3
Carol
Project Avalon Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by stresswon View Post
Hey avaloners! I was at my Neurologist the other day and as I was sitting in the waiting room, I was reading a study (can't remember which college) Apparently Fish oils are a very strong anti inflammatory for the body. (a study was done and the most notable changes were noticed in patients with Rheumatic arthritis) Effects usually won't be noticed until after 3 months, but hey, it's worth a shot. I started this month, so I'll be checking in with my findings.

PS:

For those willing to try or have tried fish oil pills and don't like the aftertaste,,,leave them in the fridge,,the cold kills the aftertaste.
Is this what you're referring too?

Do you have rheumatoid arthritis - EPA DHA

Know some one that does?

Links
Dietary fish oil and olive oil supplementation in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Clinical and immunologic effects.
Kremer JM, Lawrence DA, Jubiz W, DiGiacomo R, Rynes R, Bartholomew LE, Sherman M.

Department of Medicine, Albany Medical College, NY 12208.

Forty-nine patients with active rheumatoid arthritis completed a 24-week, prospective, double-blind, randomized study of dietary supplementation with 2 different dosages of fish oil and 1 dosage of olive oil. Clinical evaluations were performed at baseline and every 6 weeks thereafter, and immunologic variables were measured at baseline and after 24 weeks of study. The 3 groups of patients were matched for age, sex, disease severity, and use of disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs (DMARDs). Subjects continued receiving DMARDs and other background medications without change during the study. Twenty patients consumed daily dietary supplements of n3 fatty acids containing 27 mg/kg eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and 18 mg/kg docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) (low dose), 17 patients ingested 54 mg/kg EPA and 36 mg/kg DHA (high dose), and 12 patients ingested olive oil capsules containing 6.8 gm of oleic acid. Significant improvements from baseline in the number of tender joints were noted in the low-dose group at week 24 (P = 0.05) and in the high-dose group at week 18 (P = 0.04) and 24 (P = 0.02). Significant decreases from baseline in the number of swollen joints were noted in the low-dose group at weeks 12 (P = 0.003), 18 (P = 0.002), and 24 (P = 0.001) and in the high-dose group at weeks 12 (P = 0.0001), 18 (P = 0.008), and 24 (P = 0.02). A total of 5 of 45 clinical measures were significantly changed from baseline in the olive oil group, 8 of 45 in the low-dose fish oil group, and 21 of 45 in the high-dose fish oil group during the study (P = 0.0002). Neutrophil leukotriene B4 production decreased by 19% from baseline in the low-dose fish oil group (P = 0.0003) and 20% in the high-dose group (P = 0.03), while macrophage interleukin-1 production decreased by 38.5% in the olive oil group (P not significant), 40.6% in the low-dose group (P = 0.06), and 54.7% in the high-dose group (P = 0.0005). Tritiated thymidine incorporation in peripheral blood mononuclear cells after stimulation with concanavalin A increased significantly in all 3 groups after 24 weeks, compared with baseline values. We conclude that the clinical benefits of dietary supplementation with omega-3 fatty acids are more commonly observed in patients consuming higher dosages of fish oil for time intervals that are longer than those previously studied. Dietary supplementation with olive oil is also associated with certain changes in immune function, which require further investigation.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez
Old 10-09-2008, 03:58 PM   #4
whitecrow
Avalon Senior Member

Omega 3 is vital, and the main source is fish oil. That teaspoon of cod liver oil my grandma used to make me take was a wise investment in a little boy's health. I hated it, but many years later I am taking again, voluntarily.

Everyone, everyone, everyone should take fish oil. It addresses inflammation, it lubricates joints, it enhances mental clarity and focus.

The other omegas we can to an extent, manufacture in our bodies. However, women especially find omega-6,7 and 9 supplementation helpful, as they help to balance hormone levels and help lubricate tissues and mucous membranes. These are found in evening primrose, borage, black currant and cranberry oils.

whitecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 03:16 PM   #5
bilderburger w/cheese
Avalon Senior Member

according to dr blaylock of 'excitotoxins: the taste that kills' and of the blaylock wellness report (which is EXCELLENT newsletter and highly recommended):

its the DHA component of the fish oil that really has the beneficial properties. the EPA doesnt do a whole helluva lot for you.

omega 3 is the most important. the 6 an 9 can be obtained from any nut oils or vegetable oils. its essential that there is a balance between the omega 3 and the omega 6 and 9 oils. ideally, it should be a 1:1 basis, or as close as possible to that ratio.
that ratio is whats most important.

to make a long story short, anti-inflammatory nutrients prevent cancer: fish oil, curcumin, quercetin, resverserol, etc.

i like this brand; i take two tsp/day:

http://www.carlsonlabs.com/product_d...5&categid=03a9

(the other purified fish oil that carlson makes is great too-- this cod liver one is about the same price plus it has vitamin D-3 and some A in it as a bonus.)

liquid form is best. taking any kind of omega 3 supplement in a gelatin capsule isnt a good idea since gelatin capsule contains monosodium glutamate (a whole other ball of wax for another thread). the new v-caps (vegetable capsule) are fine, but i dont think that omega 3 comes in a v-cap.

if anyone is interested.... blaylock wellness report: http://www.blaylockreport.com/
cost: $4/month via email, $8/month via snail mail.
worth it? i think so. hes the only one who had the guts to come out publically against MSG and aspartame (dr andrew weil drops the ball with respect to MSG... probably scared of lawsuits by Big Biz). blaylock is in the sweet misery doc on aspartame.
bilderburger w/cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 03:42 PM   #6
mntruthseeker
Avalon Senior Member

I have been on it for about a month

Thanks for the tip on refrigerating it
mntruthseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 03:46 PM   #7
Jacqui D
Avalon Senior Member

Whilst i know this is good to take, i'll be sticking to other forms because i'm vegetarian.
Good tip though for those who do take it and can't stand the after taste, i'll be passing that one on re;( in the fridge for reducing after taste)
Jacqui D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 07:56 PM   #8
She-Ra
Avalon Senior Member

^ Me too Jacqui. I'm vegan and take vegetable capsules (Vertese) which provide Omega 3,6 and 9 and doesn't have an after tase but taste nice in general or organic hemp seed oil.
She-Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:16 PM   #9
Swamisalami
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqui D View Post
Whilst i know this is good to take, i'll be sticking to other forms because i'm vegetarian.
Good tip though for those who do take it and can't stand the after taste, i'll be passing that one on re;( in the fridge for reducing after taste)
This is a very smart thing to do, I'm proud of you!

SOMETIME"S I CAN"T UNDERSTAND THE STUPIDITY OF SOME PEOPLES! DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE.

I've been reading a lot on Avalon about these fishoils and omega fatty acids and it makes me pretty sick!, but now it is my responsibilty to wake-up some peoples.

It absolutely not good stuff. To make 1 liter of fishoil you have to kill 100 kilo's of fish. The oceans are nearly empty and by taking these oils you are helping to destroy Mother Earth in the fastest way imageable. Thank you for this egocentrick mindcontroled stupidity.

On the other hand, the oceans were/are being used as garbagedumps. Fish lives in this water. You eat it. Very smart. Don't believe the propaganda they are telling you. Fishoil is made out of fat. PCB's and other toxic stuff concentrates in the fat of the fish. By making oil the concentration increases. Then "Human"-beings, last in the line, eat the most concentrated, toxic stuff............How smart.

You can also get these fatty acid out of plant. We call that Marjuana, Pot, Weed, Ganja, etc. If you eat the seeds of these plants you will absorb enough of them fatty acids. The fibers are stronger than cottonfibers and last 4 times longer.

Now ask yourself these question:
  1. "Why is it forbidden to grow hemp, eat it, smoke it and make clothes (and cars) out of them?"
  2. "Why is hemp seen as a drug"?

Who gives me the answers.

O yeah, for your information, I've been a fisherman all my live and I've smoked hemp for over twenty years and grown it in my attick and garden. I'm still alive and it helped me to swear of them mindcontrollers.
Swamisalami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 01:40 AM   #10
bilderburger w/cheese
Avalon Senior Member

swami:

you bring up some valid points and i sincerely appreciate your passion. i took the time to dig around, but didnt find any articles talking about ocean depletion of fish due to fish oil. i also want to point out here that at least with the carlsons brand of fish oil, its been purifed (like a number of other brands) so that the mercury and other heavy metals are removed.
although its true that the ocean is in sorry shape and it pains me to see it like that (i fish too and love the ocean), the fish that are caught which are used for the fish oil are most likely not just tossed aside. im sure that the fish is ground up into fish meal. i would guess that its in either cat food, fish food, or it makes up the bulk of fish matter in a cheap frozen box at the local supermarket. corporations may be greedy POSs, but theyre not dumb enough to just squeeze the hell out of a fish and throw the entire fish away. theyll use the rest, especially if they can make a cent from it.

for the record, DHA and EPA, the major components (the latter being the more important one) of fish oil, are NOT found in any nuts or hemp. fatty acids and omega 3, 6, 9 are completely different than DHA and EPA, so dont confuse them.
now, you CAN get your DHA and EPA from algae and apparently, this product just recently hit the market which should satisfy you:

http://www.water4.net/ its pricey, though.

krill oil is another option, but its not vegan. you also have to take a LOT of them to be on par with fish oil:
http://www.physicianformulas.com/sto...name=Krill-Oil

until the price comes down, ive got to stick with the fish oil. besides, this society wont last much longer and most industries will hopefully collapse, including the fish oil industry. things will change for the better for all of us, and i know the ocean and the planet will heal.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:49 AM   #11
mntruthseeker
Avalon Senior Member

Thank you bilderburger/cheese I too, enjoy Baylock

So many info sites on health. I finally am living LOL
mntruthseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:04 AM   #12
bilderburger w/cheese
Avalon Senior Member

mntruth, blaylock is to the medical profession what ted gunderson is to the FBI.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:10 AM   #13
PodWORLD
Avalon Senior Member

Here is a link that has a little info on emu oil. I would advise further personal research. I bought my wife some recently for her birthday and have used it also. The results are instant and amazing. I purchased it from a diff site because I'm in UK but it's sold world wide. It's great for skin, hair and muscle and joint pain.

http://www.emuoilcanada.com/benefits.html
PodWORLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:51 AM   #14
Connecting with Sauce
Avalon Senior Member

From research from my late dads cancer. Very flammitory disease.

Omega 3 is anti-inflamatory
Omega 6 is flamitory
Omega 9 is non flam.

The issues in the western diet is Omega 6 is king. Massively increase your Omega 3 ratio. Try and cut out things only with 6. Grass feed meal is higher in 3. Corn feed meat is very omega 6 rich. Back to greed again screwing us up health wise. Organic grass feed meat is best if you have to eat meat. I've massively decreased my meat intake since reading the 'China Study' (or report) recommended by my nutritionist.

One of the highest ratios of 3/6 is Linseed oil / flaxseed. I now have a coffee grinder full of seeds so I can get freshly ground seeds in salads and on breakfast. Uncooked oil oil is another source but lower 3/6 ratio.

Look into Budwig protocol and cottage cheese blending with oil to see an extremely healthy way to take this which gets through the blood brain barrier.

Good luck in your health journey...
Connecting with Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote