Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Spirituality

Notices

Old 01-18-2010, 07:15 PM   #176
mudra
Avalon Spiritual Mother

Default Re: The Sanctuary

Gratitude

We sat down for a chat with Eckhart one afternoon and asked him some questions. In this issue, Eckhart reveals his thoughts on Gratitude.

Question: Does the feeling and expression of gratitude help to raise consciousness?

Eckhart Tolle: We are talking about a deeper gratitude. There are more superficial forms of gratitude, and that is not what we are talking about. By that I mean, to be grateful that someone else is worse off than you are… sometimes that is a source of gratitude. People say “Oh I really should be grateful, because look at this person – they are worse off than I am, so I should be grateful.” That’s not the true gratitude, that’s the gratitude that is arrived at through thinking, where you compare yourself to others.

The deeper gratitude is not arrived at through some conceptual process, where you explain to yourself why you should be grateful. That’s a superficial form of gratitude, that’s not really what it is, that’s ultimately to do with ego.

More fundamental than the true form of gratitude is the deep sense of appreciation. It’s not to do with what you are telling yourself in your head, it’s something that you sense in the present moment, it’s an appreciation of the “is-ness” of this moment.

We are using words as pointers. When I say “appreciation”, some people might ask “What do you mean by appreciation?” It’s to feel that the world around you is alive, and you share in the aliveness of the world that surrounds you. There’s the outer aliveness, in other human beings, even in your surroundings – whether it’s nature, or even in a room, you sense the aliveness of what’s around you at this moment, through your own aliveness. And with that comes the feeling, “it’s good to be alive”. You appreciate the many forms of life that are arising at this moment. You don’t impose judgment on the form that life takes at this moment, because the form that life takes changes continuously around you – one moment you’re here, the next moment you’re somewhere else.

It’s a deep sense of Being-ness, or aliveness, and through that you appreciate what is, in your life. And by saying “in your life”, it always means in the present moment, because apart from the present moment, there is no such thing as “your life”. If there’s something else there that’s not the present moment that you call “your life”, it’s a mental construct.

You have formed an image of “me” and “my life”, it’s a story, and you mistake that for your life. Fundamentally your life is whatever form this moment takes. Your life is always what is now. That’s your life. Not some story you’re telling yourself in your head.

Through that appreciation, you are sensing a sense of Oneness with what’s outside and what’s inside. There is no longer a separation that is created by excessive conceptual thinking between other people and the self, the separation is created by judgment. There is a sense of allowing the present moment to be as it is. All these are fundamental aspects of gratitude. It’s that openness to the ‘is-ness’ of this moment. With that openness, comes an appreciation for the “is-ness” of this moment. There is no longer a denial or a rejection of what is, because you have some story in your mind that clashes with what is around you at this moment. And that’s how many people live, so they go through life continuously, there’s a clash between their ideas of what should be now, and what is ‘now’.

The greatest form of suffering and frustration and non-fulfillment is the clash between the mental story of what “should” be and what is. That’s really the root of the madness. There cannot be gratitude when that operates in your life.

When something seemingly negative happens, people may find it very hard to say “Okay, I should be grateful, even for this”. I’m not saying you should do that, because even that is an idea in your head. It’s better to forget about trying to be grateful when something seemingly negative happens, and simply let go of the mental judgment of it, and say “This is what is, this is what happened, and this is the situation now”. If you can be free of mental judgment and denial or projection, complaining, and so on… just allow what is, and then something deeper emerges, even in a seemingly negative situation.

By coming into this place of acceptance, of the inevitable ‘is-ness’ of now, your inner state is no longer ultimately dependant on what is happening or not happening outside. That is a vital transformation of consciousness, where the external world no longer determines your state of consciousness.

So when something seemingly bad happens, say “this is”. Whether it is a small thing or a large thing, be open to that. If you’re open to the ‘is-ness’ of what is, something within you which we could call “peace” arises. Sometimes it’s very subtle, and you can’t notice it at first.

You’re not grateful for the seemingly bad thing, but you’re grateful that you can still be at peace, even in this situation. Internally you feel that by accepting, peace arises. Even in seemingly bad circumstances. And what is that peace? It’s an inner sense of aliveness, being-ness, presence. It’s the source of all gratitude.

There can be gratitude even when something bad happens. Not for the bad, but for the fact that even in the face of something seemingly negative, there is still peace in the background. But you won’t find that until you first accept what is.

Gratitude is very important. It transforms your whole life, if you can remember the importance of being grateful for life. As you go through your day, every day, you can even have little reminders – of the importance of being appreciative of life.

Every person has to verify for themselves, what can I be grateful for at this moment?

Sense the being that you are – not just the physical, but the sense of your own presence. That’s a great source of joy, to feel your own presence, it cannot really be defined. That’s the ultimate gratitude.

Love Always
mudra
mudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:57 PM   #177
mudra
Avalon Spiritual Mother

What you are looking for
is what is looking.

-St. Francis of Assisi

Love Always
mudra

Last edited by mudra; 01-22-2010 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:33 AM   #178
mudra
Avalon Spiritual Mother

“Silence is the language of God, all else is poor translation.”

Jalal ad-Din Rumi

Love Always
mudra
Old 01-22-2010, 03:51 PM   #179
mudra
Avalon Spiritual Mother

If meditation really happens, whatsoever the cause, compassion has to follow. Compassion is the flowering of meditation. If compassion is not coming, your meditation is, somewhere, wrong.

Osho

Love Always
mudra
Old 01-23-2010, 11:59 PM   #180
mudra
Avalon Spiritual Mother

Love Always
mudra
Old 01-24-2010, 01:00 AM   #181
wfranzen
Avalon Senior Member

Thanks mudra,

I needed this thread. There is much widom here -- some of it I seem to have forgotten as I have become more cynical over the years.

From a somewhat different religious perspective consider the following:

Canticle of the Sun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGMIjwf0SVw

St. Francis Prayer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8-wpxvIpo0

and also another perspective:

Hopi message from Elders
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrPDQeNo52M&feature=fvw

Last edited by wfranzen; 02-07-2010 at 11:52 AM.
wfranzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:54 AM   #182
wfranzen
Avalon Senior Member

One of the other posts on this thread made me think of the following passage from a poem by Walt Whitman (I think Song of Myself from Leaves of Grass):

I believe a leaf of grass is no less than the journey work
of the stars,
And the pismire is equally perfect, and a grain of sand, and
the egg of the wren,
And the tree-toad is a chef-d'oeuvre for the highest,
And the running blackberry would adorn the parlors of heaven,
And the narrowest hinge in my hand puts to scorn all machinery,
And the cow crunching with depress'd head surpasses any statue,
And a mouse is miracle enough to stagger sextillions of infidels.

Last edited by wfranzen; 02-07-2010 at 11:53 AM.
wfranzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:24 PM   #183
mudra
Avalon Spiritual Mother

Thank you wfranzen for your visit in the sanctuary and for the light you are bringing here.
If you find the place an inspiring one you may like to visit the link to the social group
I had originally created :
http://www.projectavalon.net/forum/group.php?groupid=44
You'll find an additional 120 pages of wisdom down there until I decided to make
the Sanctuary a thread.

Love from me
mudra
Old 01-24-2010, 11:29 PM   #184
mudra
Avalon Spiritual Mother

Nothing can disturb if real silence has happened. Then everything helps it to grow. If you are really silent you can sit in a market, and even the market cannot disturb it. Rather, you feed on the noise of the market and that noise becomes more silence in you. Really, to feel silence a market is needed — because if you have real silence, then the market becomes the background and the silence becomes perfect in contrast. You can feel the inner silence bubbling against the market.

Osho

Love Always
mudra
Old 01-26-2010, 11:15 PM   #185
mudra
Avalon Spiritual Mother

On Bushy's request

Abwoon .. a tribute to our dear sister Day

Day has left us beaufifull native american wisdom on this thread :

http://www.projectavalon.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=15101

We love you Day

mudra

Last edited by mudra; 01-26-2010 at 11:20 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:00 AM   #186
mudra
Avalon Spiritual Mother

This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.
A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.
Welcome and entertain all!
Even if they're a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still, treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.
The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
meet them at the door laughing,
and invite them in.
Be grateful for whomever comes,
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.

Rumi

Love Always
mudra
Old 01-27-2010, 01:08 AM   #187
mudra
Avalon Spiritual Mother

Close both eyes
to see with the other eye.

Rumi

Love Always
mudra
Old 01-28-2010, 12:53 AM   #188
mudra
Avalon Spiritual Mother

Just listen

Listen. When other people are talking, let them express their thoughts, their opinions, and their feelings, especially their feelings. Don’t just let them talk; listen to what they are saying. Pay attention. Try to understand.

Listen. You don’t have to agree. As a matter of fact, whether you agree or not should be beside the point. Don’t express your opinions or feelings while someone else is expressing his or hers. Do you have a problem with that? Do you feel you need to express your opinion, that you must make your feelings known? When others are speaking, you won’t be heard anyway, and you’ll just lose points for trying.

Listen without waiting for an opportunity to give your side, or pounce on the other person, or correct his or her mistakes. The other person’s reasoning and information is surely full of mistakes and distortions. So what? So is yours.

Listen in sincere silence. It won’t kill you. You don’t need to prove your point. Just listen. Everyone thinks a good listener is smart.

Listen. You don’t need to persuade the other person, just understand. If you don’t, ask, “Could you explain that?” or “What do you really mean?” But don’t give your opinion while the person is talking. Just let him or her talk.

The good listener hears the unspoken thought. Listen for it. When the other person is finished, mention that inner thought. The other person will know you heard and understood.

Then the situation will become quiet because the other person will be listening to your hearing. All the pressure will fade and you can get on with life.

Listen. There is nothing quite like being heard.

I listen to the space between the words others speak. I live in silence where knowing dwells. I make room for life by creating stillness.

Love Always
mudra
Old 01-29-2010, 02:35 AM   #189
mudra
Avalon Spiritual Mother

Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love; this is the eternal rule.

Buddha

Love Always
mudra
Old 01-30-2010, 10:04 PM   #190
mudra
Avalon Spiritual Mother

Nothing in the world
is as soft and yielding as water.
Yet for dissolving the hard and inflexible,
nothing can surpass it.

The soft overcomes the hard;
the gentle overcomes the rigid.
Everyone knows this is true,
but few can put it into practice.

Therefore the Master remains
serene in the midst of sorrow.
Evil cannot enter his heart.
Because he has given up helping,
he is people's greatest help.

True words seem paradoxical.

Lao-tzu

Love Always
mudra
Old 01-31-2010, 10:34 PM   #191
mudra
Avalon Spiritual Mother

Secrets of Heaven and Hell, The
by: Fr. John W. Groff Jr.

The old monk sat by the side of the road. With his eyes closed, his legs crossed and his hands folded in his lap, he sat. In deep meditation, he sat.

Suddenly his zazen was interrupted by the harsh and demanding voice of a samurai warrior. "Old man! Teach me about heaven and hell!"

At first, as though he had not heard, there was no perceptible response from the monk. But gradually he began to open his eyes, the faintest hint of a smile playing around the corners of his mouth as the samurai stood there, waiting impatiently, growing more and more agitated with each passing second.

"You wish to know the secrets of heaven and hell?" replied the monk at last. "You who are so unkempt. You whose hands and feet are covered with dirt. You whose hair is uncombed, whose breath is foul, whose sword is all rusty and neglected. You who are ugly and whose mother dresses you funny. You would ask me of heaven and hell?"

The samurai uttered a vile curse. He drew his sword and raised it high above his head. His face turned to crimson and the veins on his neck stood out in bold relief as he prepared to sever the monk's head from its shoulders.

"That is hell," said the old monk gently, just as the sword began its descent. In that fraction of a second, the samurai was overcome with amazement, awe, compassion and love for this gentle being who had dared to risk his very life to give him such a teaching. He stopped his sword in mid-flight and his eyes filled with grateful tears.

"And that," said the monk, "is heaven."

Love Always
mudra
Old 01-31-2010, 10:37 PM   #192
mudra
Avalon Spiritual Mother

Get Rid of Fear
by: Anthony de Mello

Printer Friendly Version
Comment on Article
"How shall I rid myself of fear?"

"How can you rid yourself of what you cling to?"

"You mean I actually cling to my fears? I cannot agree to that."

"Consider what your fear protects you from and you will agree! And you will see your folly."

Love Always
mudra
Old 01-31-2010, 11:42 PM   #193
bushycat
Avalon Senior Member

To carry yourself forward and experience myriad things is delusion.

That myriad things come forth and experience themselves is awakening.

-Dogen

BC
bushycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:13 AM   #194
Agape
Avalon Senior Member

On Freedom

Kahlil Gibran

At the city gate and by your fireside I have seen you prostrate yourself and worship your own freedom,
Even as slaves humble themselves before a tyrant and praise him though he slays them.
Ay, in the grove of the temple and in the shadow of the citadel I have seen the freest among you wear their freedom as a yoke and a handcuff.
And my heart bled within me; for you can only be free when even the desire of seeking freedom becomes a harness to you, and when you cease to speak of freedom as a goal and a fulfilment.

You shall be free indeed when your days are not without a care nor your nights without a want and a grief,
But rather when these things girdle your life and yet you rise above them naked and unbound.

And how shall you rise beyond your days and nights unless you break the chains which you at the dawn of your understanding have fastened around your noon hour?
In truth that which you call freedom is the strongest of these chains, though its links glitter in the sun and dazzle your eyes.

And what is it but fragments of your own self you would discard that you may become free?
If it is an unjust law you would abolish, that law was written with your own hand upon your own forehead.
You cannot erase it by burning your law books nor by washing the foreheads of your judges, though you pour the sea upon them.
And if it is a despot you would dethrone, see first that his throne erected within you is destroyed.
For how can a tyrant rule the free and the proud, but for a tyranny in their own freedom and a shame in their own pride?
And if it is a care you would cast off, that care has been chosen by you rather than imposed upon you.
And if it is a fear you would dispel, the seat of that fear is in your heart and not in the hand of the feared.

Verily all things move within your being in constant half embrace, the desired and the dreaded, the repugnant and the cherished, the pursued and that which you would escape.
These things move within you as lights and shadows in pairs that cling.
And when the shadow fades and is no more, the light that lingers becomes a shadow to another light.
And thus your freedom when it loses its fetters becomes itself the fetter of a greater freedom.

A

Agape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:27 AM   #195
Gnosis5
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agape View Post
On Freedom

Kahlil Gibran

At the city gate and by your fireside I have seen you prostrate yourself and worship your own freedom,
Even as slaves humble themselves before a tyrant and praise him though he slays them.
Ay, in the grove of the temple and in the shadow of the citadel I have seen the freest among you wear their freedom as a yoke and a handcuff.
And my heart bled within me; for you can only be free when even the desire of seeking freedom becomes a harness to you, and when you cease to speak of freedom as a goal and a fulfilment.

You shall be free indeed when your days are not without a care nor your nights without a want and a grief,
But rather when these things girdle your life and yet you rise above them naked and unbound.

And how shall you rise beyond your days and nights unless you break the chains which you at the dawn of your understanding have fastened around your noon hour?
In truth that which you call freedom is the strongest of these chains, though its links glitter in the sun and dazzle your eyes.

And what is it but fragments of your own self you would discard that you may become free?
If it is an unjust law you would abolish, that law was written with your own hand upon your own forehead.
You cannot erase it by burning your law books nor by washing the foreheads of your judges, though you pour the sea upon them.
And if it is a despot you would dethrone, see first that his throne erected within you is destroyed.
For how can a tyrant rule the free and the proud, but for a tyranny in their own freedom and a shame in their own pride?
And if it is a care you would cast off, that care has been chosen by you rather than imposed upon you.
And if it is a fear you would dispel, the seat of that fear is in your heart and not in the hand of the feared.

Verily all things move within your being in constant half embrace, the desired and the dreaded, the repugnant and the cherished, the pursued and that which you would escape.
These things move within you as lights and shadows in pairs that cling.
And when the shadow fades and is no more, the light that lingers becomes a shadow to another light.
And thus your freedom when it loses its fetters becomes itself the fetter of a greater freedom.

A

Ummmm, polarities generating more failed polarities. What was the First Thought that created the first goal?
Gnosis5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:46 AM   #196
Agape
Avalon Senior Member

The first thought is nameless , thoughts are nameless, that what you hear of them in your mind is an echo of your brain processor memory.

Thought is a pure intent to move the thinking process further .

It 's destined to move anyway .

A
Agape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:40 PM   #197
mudra
Avalon Spiritual Mother

Thank you Agape for your contribution to the sanctuary

Love Always
mudra
Old 02-01-2010, 01:41 PM   #198
mudra
Avalon Spiritual Mother

'AGE'
'Age ... is a question of mind over matter.
If you don't mind it doesn't matter.'
Leroy Robert 'Satchel' Paige, American baseball player, 1906 - 1982

Love Always
mudra
Old 02-01-2010, 01:42 PM   #199
mudra
Avalon Spiritual Mother

'WHO LOOKS OUTSIDE DREAMS
WHO LOOKS INSIDE AWAKES'
C.G.Jung, 1875 - 1961