Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Global Ground Crew Networking > United States

Notices

Old 09-15-2008, 06:11 PM   #1
fil
Avalon Senior Member

Default West Virginia

New group, Appalachia Crew, created for those who live in or near (or would consider relocating to) the oldest mountains on Earth.

Before long, State boundaries may have little or no meaning...

My interest is in establishing a community in the mountains of West Virginia, if possible on a mountaintop removal site.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...op_Removal.jpg

These sites are the product of a truly reprehensible mining technique, but offer many advantages to potential settlers... Pre-cleared, flat land, remote yet accessible, in an area far removed from the major effects of hurricanes and earthquakes, where tornadoes are almost unheard of...

Even without the threats, real or perceived, that face us, I personally think it's a good idea to establish intentional, potentially self-sustaining communities. We should borrow from the past to pave the way for the future.

- fil
fil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:13 PM   #2
doodah
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Appalachia Crew

Absolutely. With you all the way on that.

I'm in SW VA, foothills of the Appalachians. Not sure I'm meant to be exactly here, very few like-minded near me.

This mountain top removal ... what's the prognosis on being able to buy land? I see that as the first hurdle. All the rest is very doable.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:30 PM   #3
fil
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah View Post
This mountain top removal ... what's the prognosis on being able to buy land? I see that as the first hurdle. All the rest is very doable.
Haven't looked into that yet, not sure where to start...

No idea, either, what kind of price such a spread would go for, or whether there is the possibility of a land grant.

Guess I need to do some research...
Old 09-16-2008, 03:25 AM   #4
hummingbird
Avalon Senior Member

My family has a lot of land in Monroe County, West Virginia, not to far from Blacksburg, VA. We're actually thinking to sell some acreage... we have a lot. At the same time we're interested in starting a bit of a community. Anyone interested?
hummingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:52 AM   #5
doodah
Avalon Senior Member

What's the going price per acre, hummingbird? What's the terrain like?
Old 09-17-2008, 07:54 PM   #6
fil
Avalon Senior Member

_____

After some searching I was finally able to find this mountaintop removal site within the West Virginia Development Office's pages:

http://www.wvdo.org/ipdb/displayinfo...ype=Site&ID=23

...and even though the map shown is not properly oriented, was able to find the area on Google Maps:

This is not the specific site I was looking for, and not the most well-suited to settlement, but at least there is contact information for an organization -- a place to start.

The coal companies seem to think the land they leave behind will be attractive to industrial developers. In a few cases they may be right, but for the most part these sites will be left to the slow process of reclamation by Nature -- after a cursory 'makeover'. There may be one or two that have been cleaned up and landscaped as false examples of the companies' 'responsible' environmental policies, but...

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/10037688

...But since the land is already in a state of ruination, what better place to develop an intentional community (AKA planned community)? Almost anything you do will be an improvement, and there is room in these places for an entire civilization.

What has been allowed to be done here is appalling, but the practice of mountaintop removal mining is one of those things that will not survive the transition. Coal does not have a future.

Those former mine sites do.

- fil

_____
Old 09-18-2008, 02:12 PM   #7
David
Avalon Senior Member

Hi everyone. It seem like the Appalachian Mountains would be the best place to go for people on the east coast.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:26 PM   #8
fil
Avalon Senior Member

_____

It's not that I feel (at least not by this point) that I'll need a place in the mountains in order to survive...

You'd think I'd like it here, in a relatively quiet neighbourhood in a small city, where everything I really need is within walking distance...

But I don't have much room for a garden, and I'm surrounded by people that I don't know -- and this whole setting is of the past, not the future.

The removed mountaintops capture my imagination. They are places of opportunity, where people can come together and create something new -- if only the land can be liberated from whomever controls it now.

It can. It will be.

I intend to be there when it happens, and be part of it.

- fil

_____
Old 09-23-2008, 02:16 PM   #9
Argante
Avalon Senior Member

Default West Virginia

Please list all West Virginia locations here.
Argante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 05:28 AM   #10
fil
Avalon Senior Member

Question Appalachia Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Lou View Post
Please list all West Virginia locations here.

For all I know I'm the only one in West Virginia on this forum. Originally this thread was titled 'Appalachia Crew', and for good reason.

I would like to make contact with others who are living or planning to live in and around the the Appalachian Mountains, regardless of State borders. If we do what we set out to do, chances are that what we will create will outlast all those arbitrary lines on the map.

I'm looking at former mountaintop removal sites, many of which are in Kentucky, Tennessee, and Virginia -- the mining technique is not limited to WV. The idea is to approach whomever needs to be approached and submit a plan for rehabilitation of these sites -- a plan that includes building a sustainable community.

If we can get this kind of thing going on ONE of those sites, the door will be open for the process to be repeated with some of the others.

Whatever the nature of the Radiant Zones in Appalachia, be they old farms with stone barns in Western Maryland, a former commune in the State of New York, whatever, part of what we're doing here is creating a network. We are not on the East Coast... Okay, some of you who may be attracted to life in the Appalachians may currently reside on the coast...

Point is, removed mountaintops are my focus (and they're not all in WV) but they are certainly not the only solution. What I'm trying to do here is to bring people together in (and near) Appalachia, not just in West Virginia.

So yes, it irks me that my thread title was arbitrarily modified. However I do understand that it was done as part of an effort to better organize this forum, so I guess it's sort of okay.

I would like it to be changed back, though.

As for listing locations, sorry, there are none that I know of yet.

I'm currently on 'the West Coast of Appalachia', very close to Ohio -- but where I live now is not where I plan to be.

I would actually like to see a list of all the locations where mountaintop removal has been perpetrated. Among the locations on that list are likely some very promising sites -- while others are too close to population centers, especially the ones with large concentrations of chemical plants.

Listen. I'm going ahead with my plan, and yes I will likely plant my roots within the borders of what is now called West Virginia but, you see, I don't like borders. And, if people want to join the project I don't care where they come from. And, the network of Radiant Zones will transcend State boundaries -- even national boundaries on the larger scale, and on the smaller in some cases.

I've been to the mountains of North Carolina on the Tennessee border, and could look out and see TN -- but it's not like anyone could tell where NC ended and TN began from that viewpoint. It's all Appalachia, and the only clues you'll get as to whether you're crossing State lines are signs on the roadway.

I've gone on about this long enough.

Peace and prosperity to all.

- fil

_____
Old 09-24-2008, 01:39 PM   #11
David
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: West Virginia

Fil,

I agree. This thread should not have been modified. It is general agreement that the Appalachian Mountains would be the best place to go and naming the thread appropriately to Appalachian Mountains helps guide people from all surrounding states.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:08 AM   #12
hummingbird
Avalon Senior Member

Doodah, land in the area is going for about $5000 an acre, though we'd seriously consider proposals for less than that for anyone from this community. Enjoying our neighbor will be the key.
hummingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 02:31 AM   #13
FelipeSparx29
Avalon Senior Member

Martinsburg wv
FelipeSparx29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 06:39 PM   #14
geebeek
Avalon Senior Member

I don't know... Don't you think that it would be safer to discuss the place of relocation face to face with people in your area? Not on internet.
I am a little bit schizophrenic, I guess
geebeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 06:13 PM   #15
fil
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geebeek View Post
I don't know... Don't you think that it would be safer to discuss the place of relocation face to face with people in your area? Not on internet.
I am a little bit schizophrenic, I guess

Makes sense to me!

Then again...

_____
Old 11-18-2008, 11:52 PM   #16
DanDan
Avalon Senior Member

Hi everyone! This my first post. New Member!! It's good to see a few truth seekers in WV.

I would think if you were to contact Tracy Hylton in Beckley, he would be able to help, if not personally, he would know who to contact.

If you worked out a plan, the mining industry would probably fund communities built on removal sites. The mining companies own the land and would probably do a 100yr lease on it. The posibilities are endless. They built a golf course on one removal site and tried to give it to the state to show what they had done with the top of the mountain. For some reason the state refused it.???

The Bolt, WV area has a bunch of removal sites. It's wilderness but only 30 to 40 minutes from Beckley.

Anyway, it would be good to hear from some peeps in WV.
DanDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:59 AM   #17
mytelight
Avalon Senior Member

Wink Re: West Virginia

Hello all,
I'm in the process of moving right now. I'm relocating to WV and will
be fully moved by April. I just felt something calling me and I guess I
just followed that voice, usually I ignore it, this time it was really loud.
I'm glad to hear that at least like minded people think the mountains
are a good location also.
The land I am purchasing is wooded with some meadows, open spring
fed stream and way off the path. I grow my own food now so the only
problem is my impatience to start. I look forward to talking to you all.
peace and light
mytelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:22 AM   #18
mytelight
Avalon Senior Member

Wink Re: West Virginia

Im in wood county.
mytelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 12:18 AM   #19
doodah
Avalon Senior Member

PEOPLE OF THE MOUNTAINS!

Anybody interested in joining in a Chemtrail Watch group we've formed in SW VA to track chemtrailing activity and get some data together? There is NO information anywhere about when they chemtrail, and how that relates to our actual weather, so we're collecting our own info. We've got local observers scattered in small towns, and we could use some eastern WV people too, as all our weather is linked. When they chemtrail you, it blows toward us, and we're totally sick of this whole thing.

Armed with info (observations, photos, videos) we plan on making a fuss and demanding some answers from local and state "governing bodies" who are not telling us ANYTHING. And also we'll demand some public health initiatives around the aluminum and barium falling so unnaturally from the sky.

Anyone? Contact me at Citizens' Chemtrail Watch ctwatch22@aol.com and I'll help your local group get started. Then you'll be allied with our group. And we're hoping for a nationwide alliance of observers as time goes on, to track systems coming in from the midwest and even further.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:32 AM   #20
stargate22
Avalon Senior Member

Cool Re: West Virginia

Well, after I read bills latest post....The Anglo-Saxon Mission,
count me in...Fayette co. West-By-God Virginia!

What ya need...videos..Pics...I guess?

Where do we send / post the media?

...now, back to the bunker!
stargate22 is offline   Reply With Quote