Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Project Avalon General Discussion

Notices

Project Avalon General Discussion Finding safe places, information and resources for building communities, site suggestions.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:11 AM   #1
Christo888
Avalon Senior Member

Default Does anyone else have a view of the moon and it's halo the last three nights?

I am curious how widespread the view of moon halo's are, so can anyone else see the moon halo either tonight or the last few nights?

http://home.hiwaay.net/~krcool/Astro/moon/moonring/
Christo888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:29 AM   #2
Jonah
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Does anyone else have a view of the moon and it's halo the last three nights?

Hey man ya.. i'm in cal... total ring around the moon last couple night...

moon rays seems to form some kind of effect on the clouds... very cool
Jonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:29 AM   #3
Spregovori

Default Re: Does anyone else have a view of the moon and it's halo the last three nights?

There are clouds and fog here almost non-stop for more than a month

But very early this morning (or i was actually still night time) during my bathroom break (i somehow always wake up) i saw this very bright light coming from behind the clouds. The moon was setting i think (judging by the position) but the light it was giving away was truly bright.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:35 AM   #4
Christo888
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah View Post
Hey man ya.. i'm in cal... total ring around the moon last couple night...

moon rays seems to form some kind of effect on the clouds... very cool
Sup man!! I was wondering if the moon halo phenomenon holds any merit... the link above claims the halo forecasts weather moving in and depending on how many stars are in the ring determines how many days away the bad weather is. Looks like two stars in the halo but no bad weather on the way? Super cool looking though!!
Old 01-29-2010, 07:39 AM   #5
Phtha
Avalon Senior Member

Lightbulb Re: Does anyone else have a view of the moon and it's halo the last three nights?

Yea! I noticed that here the last few nights, to cloudy tonight to see it though... I'm a little surprised you see it down in Cali as well.

Yesterday and the day before there was a massive halo surrounding it, even when it was a cloudless sky. The moon also 'reddened' near by clouds when they were in the sky, especially as it neared the horizon.

I didn't take any pics of it, but here are some pics I snapped a few days ago of clouds with these rainbow colours inside them. I've been noticing these quite often the last few years or so, they appear in the daytime when the sun hits them. The camera does not pick up all the colours, and the colours that the camera does pick up are not as vivid as when viewed with the naked eye.... have you ever noticed these?

Phtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:54 AM   #6
Mercuriel
Avalon Senior Member

While I would like to give You news that the Rainbow Colors You are seeing in the Clouds are Benign - I cannot in all good conscience, do so...

The reason why We're seeing Rainbow Colors in the Clouds nowadays is because of all of the Barium and Aluminum Oxide being dispersed by Project S.H.I.E.L.D. - Formerly, Operation Cloverleaf since 1998 approx.

This Rainbow effect is caused by refraction of the Sun's rays through these Chemicals (A Prism-like effect that is) which now lace most Cloud formations Worldwide...

Mercuriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:02 AM   #7
Phtha
Avalon Senior Member

Thats was my first and best guess to Mercuriel.
I've seen many chembows in the chemtrail clouds when they hit the Sun at the right angle. They do look quite different then when in natural clouds though.

I also wondered if chemicals were the cause of the moon halo these last few days, I've seen massive chemhalos around the Sun in the day after heavy spraying.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:02 AM   #8
Christo888
Avalon Senior Member

I have only seen small little smidgens of rainbow clouds over the years... but I was just looking at this video. I can't tell if it is valid for that time period stated on the video though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKMTS...layer_embedded

That sucks about the chems in the clouds
Old 01-29-2010, 08:08 AM   #9
Firstlook
Avalon Senior Member

I just looked at the moon with a pair of regular binoculars. WOW.

Its is so clear. I cant remember the last time i seen it so bright and detailed.

peace
Firstlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:23 AM   #10
JudgeMental
Avalon Senior Member

HUGE round halo around the moon miles and miles across. Can totally verify that. Similar to this photo I Googled.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg halo.jpg (7.4 KB, 22 views)
JudgeMental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:33 AM   #11
Christo888
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeMental View Post
HUGE round halo around the moon miles and miles across. Can totally verify that. Similar to this photo I Googled.
Never mind I see you pasted it from google...
Old 01-29-2010, 09:26 AM   #12
Firedrake
Avalon Senior Member

I havent seen many, but this was the biggest halo ive seen in kirksville, Mo tonight.

At least twice as big as the google picture.

Firedrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:05 AM   #13
Kulapops
Avalon Senior Member

You might like to know that tonight, around 9pm GMT, Mars will be very close to the full moon - about a fist's width...and is quite close to the Earth at 65 million miles. Not as close as in 2003 apparently, but will still be very bright and red.

Get scanning for martians !

In any case, if any of you have an SLR camera and a telephoto lens, it should make for good pictures, so I've read...Get those binoculars out!

Happy stargazing,

K
Kulapops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:11 AM   #14
Neo
Avalon Senior Member

I've seen that halo many times here in oz, mostly on perfectly clear nights. Next time I do see it I'll get a pic with my SLR
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:24 PM   #15
WiNaDeYo
Avalon Senior Member

It was completely cloudless last night here in northern Italy, and, yes, I too noticed the huge halo around the moon. I have never seen the halo with a diameter so broad! Two nights ago its halo was much smaller, but it was giving off red hues on the inner side of the halo itself.

This morning the sky was clear and we got some sunshine finally, but now it has completely gone cloudy and looks like it could snow anytime!

Here's info on the full moon from spaceweather.com:
Quote:
BIGGEST FULL MOON OF THE YEAR: If you think tonight's Moon looks unusually big, you're right. It's the biggest full Moon of 2010. Astronomers call it a "perigee Moon," some 14% wider and 30% brighter than lesser full Moons of the year.

Johannes Kepler explained the phenomenon 400 years ago. The Moon's orbit around Earth is not a circle but an ellipse, with one side 50,000 km closer to Earth than the other. Astronomers call the point of closest approach "perigee," and that is where the Moon will be Friday night through Saturday morning: diagram.

A good time to look is around sunset when the Moon is near the eastern horizon. At that time, illusion mixes with reality to produce a truly stunning view. For reasons not fully understood by psychologists, low-hanging Moons look unnaturally large when they beam through foreground objects such as buildings and trees. Why not let the "Moon illusion" amplify a full Moon that's extra-big to begin with? The swollen orb rising in the east may seem close enough to touch.

And what's that bright orange star right beside the Moon? Read on...

IT'S MARS! In a coincidence of celestial proportions, the Moon and Mars are having close encounters with Earth at the same time. Moreover, the two will spend Friday night gliding across the sky side-by-side. It's a must-see event: sky map.

Readers with backyard telescopes should train their optics on Mars. It looks bigger through a telescope now than at any time between 2008 and 2014. Pete Lawrence of Selsey, UK, photographed the Red Planet on Jan. 26th using his 14-inch Celestron:
WiNaDeYo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:37 PM   #16
5thElement
Avalon Senior Member

Halos around the moon all week here when it has been visible - NW US coast.
I always thought it meant that it was going to be a very cold night but that hasn't proven to be true this week.

*fingers crossed* for clear skies for tonights show

El
5thElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:53 PM   #17
hippihillbobbi
Avalon Senior Member

Question Re: Does anyone else have a view of the moon and it's halo the last three nights?

I definitely saw it here last night too (Knoxville -- East Tennessee) it was lovely! I was afraid that the halo may have been a result of pollution, though. that thought does tend to spoil the view, somewhat at least. i'm gonna look again tonight, though, and try to see Mars, i guess. is it possible without binoculars or a telescope to detect it, do ya think??

hippihillbobbi
hippihillbobbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:59 PM   #18
Majorion
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstlook View Post
I just looked at the moon with a pair of regular binoculars. WOW.

Its is so clear. I cant remember the last time i seen it so bright and detailed.

peace
The Moon is absolutely breathtaking tonight.

At least from my location that is.
Majorion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:03 PM   #19
5thElement
Avalon Senior Member

If your skies are clear, Mars will be easily viewed by the naked eye

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2...th_29jan10.gif

It will be right next to the moon.

El
5thElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:06 PM   #20
kriya
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorion View Post

Yes I agree. Driving home from work about 5pm, it was still low in the sky, full and huge.

Beautiful
kriya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:09 PM   #21
illuminate
Avalon Senior Member

tonight's full moon is suppose to be the biggest and brightest of the year,
I will take a pic of my view tonight and post it tomorrow.

this was from the last full moon, shot without a telephoto lens and
not so steady hands, but the aura is nice

illuminate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:09 PM   #22
lightblue
Avalon Senior Member

I am in the UK and I have never seen it BRIGHTER and CLEARER...almost surreal...this was minutes ago on my way back home and there i find this thread..it's quite big too (like in the summer months), as if it's come off its orbit and it's heading our way..hope that's not possible.
lightblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:42 PM   #23
Firstlook
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorion View Post

And where would that be?

Are you in orbit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminate View Post

I shall do the same.
Firstlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:57 PM   #24
Majorion
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstlook View Post
And where would that be?

Are you in orbit?
Right about here

Majorion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:46 PM   #25
Phtha
Avalon Senior Member

Wow nice colours you captured in your photo Illum.

The clouds cleared up a bit for me last night so I had a great view of the moon, but the Halo was so big that even with the standard 18-55 mill lens I coudn't get the Halo and the moon in the picture!

Tonight if its clear I'll get the stand out and try and snap a few steady pics as well.

I look forward to seeing everyones photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminate View Post