Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Camelot Forum > Project Camelot > Books, Videos, Articles, etc.

Notices

Old 06-04-2009, 11:00 AM   #1
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Default Information Liberation Analysis: "Earth 2100: New World Order Agenda on Primetime"

YouTube video: "ABC News Earth 2100 Show Trailer"

abcnews.go.com: 'Earth 2100': the Final Century of Civilization?

From informationliberation.com:

I saw some of this last night, it's the most insane predictive programming I have ever seen, they tell some fictionalized story of a woman's life in the future where the entire world is destroyed due to overpopulation, global warming and resource depletion.

The earth is a hellhole, the whole middle of the United States is an unlivable desert with no water, they tell a fictional story of a plague killing people en masse and how everyone has to be quarantined to fight it, the US is in total bedlam but NY and California are the only places you can live because they are "sustainable" cities.

The 'fictional' character who is telling the story speaks of how much 'hope' she gets from seeing all the solar technologies etc., as she is saying all this they have some musical interlude where they have Obama's voice speaking about how all the changes we made in the past saved us (in the shows present) etc. It really sounded like Obama actually personally recorded this in a studio just for this propaganda piece.

At the end they say how this whole disaster scenario is not set in stone, and how we can avert catastrophe (even though they made this whole thing up) if we only change our way of life and re-engineer our entire society through living "sustainably." What they don't tell you something like air conditioning is not considered sustainable, eating meat is not considered sustainable, having appliances in your house is not sustainable, having suburban housing is not sustainable, driving a car or using any fossil fuels is not sustainable, these are all things globalist millionaires like Maurice Strong (who no doubt lives a life of poverty and chastity) feel must no longer be allowed to be used by those of us in the "affluent middle class."

We are talking about the total destruction of our entire way of life, turning the US into a literal third world dictatorship where the new crimes will be things like taking too many showers, using too much air conditioning, using too much heating, failing to recycle, throwing away too much trash, etc. If these people get their way it will be hell on earth, this propaganda is so dangerous it must be exposed for what it is.

Read the quotes of these top globalists below and ask yourself if this is a world you want to live in, if this is a world you want your children to live in, hell, ask yourself if you even want the freedom to have children, because they feel that is a liberty which can no longer be afforded to the general public, and they have no qualms voicing that is how they feel. They are trying to make this world a reality and they have literally trillions of dollars to spend to see that it is made this way. We cannot all just lay down and wait to die, this agenda must be fought and resisted by every thinking human being on the planet, they cannot change things without our acquiescence and compliance, the responsibility lies completely in the hands of the average person themselves to stop this agenda, you and I and all of us have the power to stop this through our noncompliance, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. - Chris, IL

"Current lifestyles and consumption patterns of the affluent middle class - involving high meat intake, use of fossil fuels, appliances, air-conditioning, and suburban housing - are not sustainable." - Maurice Strong, Rio Earth Summit

"We need to get some broad based support, to capture the public's imagination... So we have to offer up scary scenarios, make simplified, dramatic statements and make little mention of any doubts... Each of us has to decide what the right balance is between being effective and being honest." - Stephen Schneider, Stanford Professor of Climatology, lead author of many IPCC reports

"Unless we announce disasters no one will listen." - Sir John Houghton, first chairman of IPCC

"It doesn't matter what is true, it only matters what people believe is true." - Paul Watson, co-founder of Greenpeace

"We've got to ride this global warming issue. Even if the theory of global warming is wrong, we will be doing the right thing in terms of economic and environmental policy." - Timothy Wirth, President of the UN Foundation

"No matter if the science of global warming is all phony... climate change provides the greatest opportunity to bring about justice and equality in the world." - Christine Stewart, fmr Canadian Minister of the Environment

"The only way to get our society to truly change is to frighten people with the possibility of a catastrophe." - emeritus professor Daniel Botkin

"We require a central organizing principle - one agreed to voluntarily. Minor shifts in policy, moderate improvement in laws and regulations, rhetoric offered in lieu of genuine change - these are all forms of appeasement, designed to satisfy the public’s desire to believe that sacrifice, struggle and a wrenching transformation of society will not be necessary." - Al Gore, Earth in the Balance

"Isn't the only hope for the planet that the industrialized civilizations collapse? Isn't it our responsiblity to bring that about?" - Maurice Strong, founder of the UN Environment Programme

"A massive campaign must be launched to de-develop the United States. De-development means bringing our economic system into line with the realities of ecology and the world resource situation." - Paul Ehrlich, Professor of Population Studies

"The only hope for the world is to make sure there is not another United States. We can't let other countries have the same number of cars, the amount of industrialization, we have in the US. We have to stop these Third World countries right where they are." - Michael Oppenheimer, Environmental Defense Fund

"Global Sustainability requires the deliberate quest of poverty, reduced resource consumption and set levels of mortality control." - Professor Maurice King

"Complex technology of any sort is an assault on human dignity. It would be little short of disastrous for us to discover a source of clean, cheap, abundant energy, because of what we might do with it." - Amory Lovins, Rocky Mountain Institute

"The prospect of cheap fusion energy is the worst thing that could happen to the planet." - Jeremy Rifkin, Greenhouse Crisis Foundation

"Giving society cheap, abundant energy would be the equivalent of giving an idiot child a machine gun." - Prof Paul Ehrlich, Stanford University

"The big threat to the planet is people: there are too many, doing too well economically and burning too much oil." – Sir James Lovelock, BBC Interview

"My three main goals would be to reduce human population to about 100 million worldwide, destroy the industrial infrastructure and see wilderness, with it’s full complement of species, returning throughout the world." -Dave Foreman, co-founder of Earth First!

"A total population of 250-300 million people, a 95% decline from present levels, would be ideal." - Ted Turner, founder of CNN and major UN donor

"... the resultant ideal sustainable population is hence more than 500 million but less than one billion." - Club of Rome, Goals for Mankind

"If I were reincarnated I would wish to be returned to earth as a killer virus to lower human population levels." - Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, patron of the World Wildlife Fund

"I suspect that eradicating small pox was wrong. It played an important part in balancing ecosystems." - John Davis, editor of Earth First! Journal

"The extinction of the human species may not only be inevitable but a good thing." - Christopher Manes, Earth First!

"Childbearing should be a punishable crime against society, unless the parents hold a government license. All potential parents should be required to use contraceptive chemicals, the government issuing antidotes to citizens chosen for childbearing." - David Brower, first Executive Director of the Sierra Club

Last edited by Karen; 06-04-2009 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Correct punctuation
Seashore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:59 PM   #2
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Information Liberation Analysis: "Earth 2100: New World Order Agenda on Primetim

Here is another thread on this topic: "Agenda 21" of the United Nations.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:58 PM   #3
mntruthseeker
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Information Liberation Analysis: "Earth 2100: New World Order Agenda on Primetim

Boy does it ever fit into what we have been hearing about so long

David Icke says this is already happening in Britain. Your kids are made to spy on you if you take too long a shower, if you do not recycle etc

Well I guess this is there way of warning us of what they plan on doing

We need to change that raality fast !
mntruthseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:33 PM   #4
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Are we, or are we not, over-populated? Do we, or do we not, have a crisis on our hands?

There is an article that addresses this on the Information Liberation website. The source of the article is "Henry Institute." The link to the source of the article, however, is broken.

But the article so directly tackles the question, I want to present excerpts of it:

From informationliberation.com:

Overpopulation is a Myth - Here is the Math
by Mark T. Coppenger

...I remembered an amazing statistic I'd read over a decade earlier in the pages of Harper's Magazine. The item concerned the space in which you could fit everybody if you bunched them up. I won't tell you what it was right off since I want you to guess...

Go ahead, guess. Perhaps you could pick a state....

OK. I'll tell you. You couldn't even fill a state with them. Using my atlas, the closest I could come up with was the Hawaiian island of Maui, but I wasn't totally happy with that since you would still have room for around another billion people on the island. I've done a little more checking, and have found that Oahu is closer, but still too big. So are the city limits of Houston. Yes, you could put the entire world into Houston.

Let's do the math. How many square yards are there in a square mile? You have 1,760 on a side, so multiply 1,760 by 1,760, the same way you would get nine square feet in a square yard by multiplying three by three. Use a calculator if you must. The answer is 3,097,600 square yards in a square mile. Then multiply by four, since we are putting four people in each square yard. You get 12,390,400 people per square mile. Chances are your town is a least one square mile in area. Did you know you could squeeze over 12 million people into it?

Now divide 12,390,400 into 6.4 billion to see how many square miles it would take to hold everybody. The answer is 532.67 square miles, or 533 rounded off. That's about a 23-mile square. Houston's area is 596 square miles, so you'd have an extra 60 square miles, room for another three quarters of a billion or so.

If you spread out, giving each person his own square yard and a folding chair, you could just about seat everyone in Delaware. If you gave everyone ten square yards (a 30-foot square, or 900 square feet -- a small apartment), you could fit all 6.4 billion people into Texas...

Is this article true? I don't know...

Do we have a math wiz who would like to verify this for us?

Last edited by Karen; 06-04-2009 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:37 AM   #5
NorthernSanctuary
Avalon Senior Member

The numbers are a little bit off:

total area require = Area/person X 6.4 billion.

If you use 10 yard2/person= 90 sq. ft/person (1 yard =3 ft, 1yd2=1 yd x1 yd=3ft X 3 ft=9 sq. ft)

total area = 9X6.4 billion sq. ft.=57.6 billion sq ft= 57.6 x10 9 (power of 9)

1 sq mile=3,097,000 sq. yard=27,878,400 sq. ft

total area= 57.6 billion sq. ft X 1sq mi/27,878,400 sq. ft=2,045 sq mile. or within a city that is 25 mile wide by 25 mile deep.

The assumptions are wrong and not realistic in the required area per person. People need food, so you need room to grow that; the meat that people eat need more space also. Also a building takes more space than the living space. also energy production, transportation room etc. You have to look at the eco-system that is required to support the people, not just the people living space. Having said that, it may be possible for a well managed planet to support our existing population, but may impact other life on the planet.

So the answer is not clear, but there are errors in the calculation. Note that 25 mile square (25 mi X 25 mi) is not the same as 25 square miles (25 sq mi).
NorthernSanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:04 AM   #6
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernSantuary View Post
...The assumptions are wrong and not realistic in the required area per person. People need food, so you need room to grow that; the meat that people eat need more space also. Also a building takes more space than the living space. also energy production, transportation room etc. You have to look at the eco-system that is required to support the people, not just the people living space. Having said that, it may be possible for a well managed planet to support our existing population, but may impact other life on the planet.

So the answer is not clear, but there are errors in the calculation. Note that 25 mile square (25 mi X 25 mi) is not the same as 25 square miles (25 sq mi).
What's a researcher to do???!!!

Thanks...
Old 06-08-2009, 02:47 AM   #7
Lorien
Avalon Senior Member

I recommend everyone check out the other thread in this section titled "HOME" which contains a link to a movie by Yann Arthus-Bertrand, or you can check it out HERE.

It is an excellent movie which has many facts about what we have done to our planet in just the last 100 years. The rate at which we as a species have multiplied is just mind boggling. And the rate at which we are consuming our precious resources and in turn destroying our planet must stop. We are slowly sucking every last drop of Blood from Mother Earth and she is slowly dying. We continue to strip thousands of acres of forests every year, depriving us of the very thing that creates the oxygen we breath. At what point do we stop?

Unfortunately I think I agree with some of what is said from this series and think that to make some people realize the truth we need to scare them. However the real solution lies in proper education of our children so that they are aware of how to live in balance with nature, and the importance of maintaining a clean and functional ecosystem.

The sad fact is that most issues could be solved, if only the people in charge were not motivated by greed and power. Free energy alone would solve 90% of the problems we face on this planet. And that free energy would help in the development of other resolutions to the remaining problems.

Especially her in the US we have a serious problems with excess. Obesity is at all time highs, people living in houses far to big for what they need, consuming more food and goods than most African countries.

Do we as a species need to slow down? Yes.

Do we need to regulate population growth? Yes. Are there safe and intelligent ways to do so? Yes.

Do we need to decrease it by some of the percentages these people recommend? Heck no.
Lorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:38 AM   #8
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

Gotta agree with the folks that I generally disagree with on politics.

This whole scenario is insane. I do belive in enviromental stewardship TO A POINT.

I don't think punishing people for failing to recycle or taking too many showers is fair or reasonable.
Humble Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:19 AM   #9
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorien View Post

I recommend everyone check out the other thread in this section titled "HOME" which contains a link to a movie by Yann Arthus-Bertrand, or you can check it out HERE.

It is an excellent movie which has many facts about what we have done to our planet in just the last 100 years. The rate at which we as a species have multiplied is just mind boggling. And the rate at which we are consuming our precious resources and in turn destroying our planet must stop...
I haven't viewed the video yet.

In my mind, population growth and stewardship of the planet are two different things and I would like to separate them to simplify the discussion. I don't think anyone argues with the need to stop the indiscriminate use of resources...

But what's wrong with population growth? It seems that should take care of itself. Does the video present a convincing argument that we must slow or even stop our rate of growth? There's something about that concept that doesn't feel right to me...
Old 06-08-2009, 12:30 PM   #10
Steve_A
Project Avalon Moderator

Hi seashore,

I think the principal problem with population growth and stewardship of the planet is intelligence.

If we behaved and had the same intelligence as the rest of the animals on this planet, our population would be under better control. Animals' populations are determined by their environment whilst us humans try to change the environment to maintain the population in constant growth.

In the medical profession, they have brought what was once a fantasy of Frankenstein into the real world with heart, lung, kidney, bone marrow, even face transplants, offered to people who, under natures law would die a natural death.

Medicines have been discovered to combat dieseases which normally would have massacred whole populations. So really I think we could say that the human population is artificial and even to the point of being unnatural.

As for resources, there of course needs to be an increase of output to satisfy the demand of the needs of the population. These needs are not necesarily necessities, but desires of the population. We don't walk, we take a bus or drive a car. Our travelling is becoming greater (we spend two weeks holiday thousands of miles away from where we live for no apparent reason. Animals travel over large distances under their own steam for a purpose, either survival or to reproduce).

We are sucking the oil out of the ground and putting nothing back. The Earth could be becoming like a party balloon, empty inside, because of all the holes and tunnels and cavities that are being created to extract what is under the Earths' crust.

Is the world over populated? I think so. Not in terms of space. When I go to my farm I have 8 acres of space around me, but I do see more and more houses being built on land that shouldn't have them. Once we start to disturb the balance of nature, making concrete unplanned cities, destroying what is considered the lung of the Earth to produce food and raw material for even more housing and furniture, we are over populated.

Of course it is easy to say this without an answer, or rather a politically correct answer to the problem, we will keep in this state of limbo untill push comes to shove and a war breaks out, which may not resolve the situation all together, because modern day wars aren't yielding as many corpses as in the old days.

Solutions?

Best regards,

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashore View Post

In my mind, population growth and stewardship of the planet are two different things and I would like to separate them to simplify the discussion. I don't think anyone argues with the need to stop the indiscriminate use of resources...

But what's wrong with population growth? It seems that should take care of itself. Does the video present a convincing argument that we must slow or even stop our rate of growth? There's something about that concept that doesn't feel right to me...
Steve_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:32 PM   #11
Lorien
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:

It is impossible to separated the two Seashore. They are intricately connected. I think it's pretty obvious that the more people there are on this planet, the more resources we use, whether it be water, food, land, etc. And just as with any smaller scale biosphere, there is a point at which an area just can't sustain more life.

Our planet is reaching that point, IF we continue to live as we currently do. If we learned to produce more renewable goods and energy, we could learn to live more harmoniously with the planet and the population growth wouldn't be an issue. However for decades we have constantly increased our rate of reproduction and consumption and the planet can't keep up.

Unbeknownst to most the eugenics plans of some of the PTB are already in place and working. Every day hundreds if not thousands of children in third world countries die due to famine and disease that could be avoided. Big business has taken over the resources of countries all over the planet and reaps the benefit of it while the inhabitants live in shacks unable to feed their families.

Again, do I agree that we need to kill off millions of people, no. But we cannot continue to grow at the rate we have been for the past even 50 years, continue our current lifestyles, and expect to still be around 100 years from now. If they don't kill us off, we will kill ourselves off eventually.
Lorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:10 PM   #12
Unified Serenity
Avalon Senior Member

Regarding "Especially her in the US we have a serious problems with excess. Obesity is at all time highs, people living in houses far to big for what they need, consuming more food and goods than most African countries."

Obesity here I think is directly linked to the **** they are putting in food and water that is designed to slow metabolism, keep you eating, and put on weight. Even restaurant food which could be made without MSG and other chemicals is bad for you, let's not even bring up "fast food". Yes, too many kids are glued to their video games and not playing outside, and adults are so busy working they don't get enough play time. Apparently Iodine deficiency can be blamed for many of the health woes, and when people are sick they are less likely to be active. Is it an evil plan or just stupidity on the part of Government and business to put bromine instead of iodine in bread, and flouride in drinking water?

As for people living in homes that are unnecessarily too big, I don't think that is the norm. But, I can't help those who live in grass huts, urinate in their drinking water source, and whose governments use food as a weapon to get young men in the military. I am not trying to make fun here, as I think if mankind did away with money, rulers, and simply pooled our resources where everyone had equal access to homes, food, education, and used the resources for free energy that DO EXIST most of our problems would cease to exist. But, I don't see the rulers / elites giving up their power and prestige. It's all about selfish egos.

It is awfully amusing that the elites like Al Gore have homes that use 20 times the average families energy consumption, fly in private jets etc and preach to the average American about global warming and wasting resources.
Unified Serenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:20 PM   #13
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
...In the medical profession, they have brought what was once a fantasy of Frankenstein into the real world with heart, lung, kidney, bone marrow, even face transplants, offered to people who, under natures law would die a natural death...
This is food for thought...

Quote:
Medicines have been discovered to combat dieseases which normally would have massacred whole populations...
But we can't stop treating diseases!!

Quote:
As for resources...These needs are not necesarily necessities, but desires of the population...
We do need to evaluate what we need and what we think we need... Good point.

Quote:
We are sucking the oil out of the ground and putting nothing back. The Earth could be becoming like a party balloon, empty inside, because of all the holes and tunnels and cavities that are being created to extract what is under the Earths' crust.
Peak oil/fossil fuel has been touched on in another thread. I think this would be a good topic for its own thread... (But I don't have the energy to start it!)

Quote:
Is the world over populated? I think so. Not in terms of space. When I go to my farm I have 8 acres of space around me, but I do see more and more houses being built on land that shouldn't have them. Once we start to disturb the balance of nature, making concrete unplanned cities, destroying what is considered the lung of the Earth to produce food and raw material for even more housing and furniture, we are over populated.
Okay now you've got me thinking... Not in terms of space... But in terms of disturbing the balance of nature...

I would like more information on that...

Quote:
Of course it is easy to say this without an answer, or rather a politically correct answer to the problem, we will keep in this state of limbo untill push comes to shove and a war breaks out, which may not resolve the situation all together, because modern day wars aren't yielding as many corpses as in the old days.
We've been relying on wars in the past!!

There's got to be a better way...
Old 06-08-2009, 01:35 PM   #14
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
...If we learned to produce more renewable goods and energy, we could learn to live more harmoniously with the planet and the population growth wouldn't be an issue...
Shout it from the rooftops!

And let's get to work.

Quote:
...Unbeknownst to most the eugenics plans of some of the PTB are already in place and working...
We must do something about this...
Old 06-08-2009, 01:41 PM   #15
Steve_A
Project Avalon Moderator

Hi seashore,

Just to get you started:

http://www.bookrags.com/research/bal...ature-enve-01/

The rest can be 'Googled'.

Best regards,

Steve
Steve_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:48 PM   #16
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Obesity here I think is directly linked to the **** they are putting in food and water that is designed to slow metabolism, keep you eating, and put on weight. Even restaurant food which could be made without MSG and other chemicals is bad for you, let's not even bring up "fast food". Yes, too many kids are glued to their video games and not playing outside, and adults are so busy working they don't get enough play time. Apparently Iodine deficiency can be blamed for many of the health woes, and when people are sick they are less likely to be active. Is it an evil plan or just stupidity on the part of Government and business to put bromine instead of iodine in bread, and flouride in drinking water?
I think that these things are by design, and we need to keep on keeping on waking up to this, and doing something about it.

Quote:
... As for people living in homes that are unnecessarily too big, I don't think that is the norm...
Maybe it's not the norm, but I see it where I live, and I hate it. Makes me cringe...
Old 06-08-2009, 01:52 PM   #17
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Just to get you started:

http://www.bookrags.com/research/bal...ature-enve-01/

The rest can be 'Googled'.
Thanks!
Old 06-10-2009, 08:08 PM   #18
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Are we, or are we not, over-populated? Do we, or do we not, have a crisis on our hands?
I have read that today's conventional wisdom about the danger to the planet from population growth has its roots in Malthus's Essay on The Principle of Population, the first edition of which was published in 1798.

There is a document on the web dated in 2005 associated with the University of Copenhagen, Denmark that gives the history of Malthus's Essay.

The document states that Essay says that population growth is "geometrical," what we call "exponential" today, whereas agricultural output has an arithmetric or linear progression. So population grows in a progression of 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, etc. But agricultural output grows in a progression of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, etc.

Here's my question: What about technology? Why do we assume that agricultural output has a linear progression?

Anyone want to take a stab at that?
Old 07-04-2009, 02:56 PM   #19
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
A person by the name of Dr. Tim Ball was interviewed by Alex Jones on 6/30/09.

Dr. Ball is a Canadian with a PhD in Climatology.

During this interview Dr. Ball directly addresses the issue of "overpopulation." It occurs during the 3rd hour so click on "0630093.mp3." This part of the discussion begins at 17:09:

http://gcnlive.com/Archives2009/jun09/AlexJones/

Last edited by Seashore; 11-16-2009 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Format
Old 07-04-2009, 07:22 PM   #20
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:

...From informationliberation.com:

I saw some of this last night, it's the most insane predictive programming I have ever seen, they tell some fictionalized story of a woman's life in the future where the entire world is destroyed due to overpopulation, global warming and resource depletion...
Alan Watt often talks about the book The First Global Revolution by the Club of Rome and the fact that in it is stated that it "would fit the bill" to claim that global warming threatened the world.

I wanted to find the context in which this was stated in the book so I found a copy of the book and downloaded it.

Here are excerpts from the Foreward:

"1968 was the year of the Great Divide. It marked the zenith as well as the end of the long post-war period of rapid economic growth in the industrialized countries...it was at that time that general and vocal public awareness of the problems of the environment began to emerge.

"A number of individuals close to decision-making points became concerned about the apparent incapability of governments...

"The Club of Rome took shape that year from these considerations...

"From the outset, the Club's thinking has been governed by three related conceptual guidelines:

--adopting a global approach to the vast and complex problems of a world...

--focusing on issues, policies and options in a longer-term perspective than is possible for governments...

--seeking a deeper understanding of the interactions within the tangle of contemporary problems...

"Our first publication, The Limits to Growth, appeared in 1972 as a report to (rather than by) the Club of Rome. The study, commissioned by the Club... The report and the controversy it generated immediately gave the Club of Rome worldwide visibility...

"Since 1972, the Club has published eighteen reports on a wide variety of issues... The second among these, Mankind at the Turning Point...was a computerised growth model... It included a strong warning of the high costs in terms of money and human suffering which would result from delays in taking action...

"If the Club is to live up to its role... We shall, no doubt, be accused as before of being harbingers of doom. This may well be our role and our glory... A preventive approach such as this carries with it the responsibility of putting forward suggested remedies."

It is signed "Ricardo Diez-Hochleitner, President, Club of Rome"

In the body of the book are 3 paragraphs that show the context of the expression "fit the bill" for global warming.

From page 70 of the book:

"The need for enemies seems to be a common historical factor. Some states have striven to overcome domestic failure and internal contradictions by blaming external enemies...

"Can we live without enemies? Every state has been so used to classifying its neighbours as friend or foe, that the sudden absence of traditional adversaries has left government and public opinion with a great void to fill. New enemies have to be identified..."

And finally, from page 75 of the book, the famous quote:

"In searching for a common enemy against whom we can unite, we came up with the idea that pollution, the threat of global warming, water shortages, famine and the like, would fit the bill. In their totality and their interactions these phenomena do constitute a common threat which must be confronted by everyone together. But in designating these dangers as the enemy, we fall into the trap, which we have already warned readers about, namely mistaking symptoms for causes. All these dangers are caused by human intervention in natural processes, and it is only through changed attitudes and behaviour that they can be overcome. The real enemy then is humanity itself."

So, what did the Club of Rome say here?

Did they "come up with" global warming so that the world would have a common enemy to fight?
Old 07-17-2009, 12:44 PM   #21
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Are we, or are we not, over-populated? Do we, or do we not, have a crisis on our hands?...
Here is an interesting graphic and accompanying explanation from the website of the U.S. Census Bureau:

The world population growth rate rose from about 1.5 percent per year from 1950-51 to a peak of over 2 percent in the early 1960s due to reductions in mortality. Growth rates thereafter started to decline due to rising age at marriage as well as increasing availability and use of effective contraceptive methods. Note that changes in population growth have not always been steady. A dip in the growth rate from1959-1960, for instance, was due to the Great Leap Forward in China. During that time, both natural disasters and decreased agricultural output in the wake of massive social reorganization caused China's death rate to rise sharply and its fertility rate to fall by almost half.