Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Camelot Forum > Project Camelot > Archived Threads - Read Only

Notices

Archived Threads - Read Only For threads not posted in for 30 days

Old 09-07-2008, 07:10 PM   #1
Athena
Avalon Senior Member

Default Survival Books and Training

Hello Everyone,

For those interested in learning more about survival and basic self-reliance skills, I'd like to recommend 2 books for your consideration:

98.6 Degrees: The Art of Keeping Your Ass Alive

When All Hell Breaks Loose:Stuff You Need to Survive When Disaster Strikes

Both are by Cody Lundin and are available through Amazon.com. For more on Cody see: www.alssadventures.com

IMO, survival books can be dry and tedious to get through, but not these two. Of all the books I have on this subject, I refer to these ones regularly.

98.6, deals with basic outdoors/wilderness survival information including what you need in a basic survival kit and the importance of regulating body temperature. The center section has a lot of color photos showing the kit and how to use certain things.

WAHBL, is focused on urban survival scenarios such as what to do when there is no water, no power, how to consider your family's needs. Again, the center section has helpful color photos.

I spoke with Cody today about the possibility of creating some tailor-made training courses for those of us who are interested in some hands-on experience.

Tentatively, we could create a "Ground Crew Outdoor Survival" course and/or a "Ground Crew Urban Survival" course. These could be anything from a day to a week-end to five days and would most likely be in Northern Arizona.

WOULD ANYONE BE SERIOUSLY INTERESTED IN PARTICIPATING IN SUCH COURSES?

Prices and other logistics would be worked out depending on numbers.

Very best to all...
Athena
Athena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:38 PM   #2
mudhog92
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Survival Books and Training

I would. I have bene gathering many 'survival' books also. I've included an old farm manual on making tools to get things done around a farm, gardening all year around, canning, typical survival stuff-water, food shelter stuff also. I think planning and educating yourself are the best tools.
mudhog92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:13 AM   #3
bilderburger w/cheese
Avalon Senior Member

survival books are a great idea, but the fawna and flora in different regions makes it difficult to apply for all. are these books region-specific? id like to get something for the eastern woodlands of the US.

if anyone is in the pacific northwest, theres a survival film on www.wideeyecinema.com where the host explains which wild plants are safe to eat.
bilderburger w/cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 05:35 AM   #4
Athena
Avalon Senior Member

Hello bilderburger w/cheese,

These books are not what I would call "fauna and flora" identification books, I like the Peterson Field Guides for that.

If you go to Amazon.com and pull up the 2 books I recommended (98.6 and WAHBL) they are both enabled with the "search inside" feature. You can look over the table of contents and read an excerpt.

Hope that helps...
Athena
Athena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:06 AM   #5
bilderburger w/cheese
Avalon Senior Member

yes, ill definitely check those out. thank you, athena.
bilderburger w/cheese is offline   Reply With Quote