Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Health / Alternative Medicine

Notices

Old 04-22-2009, 02:34 PM   #1
judykott
Avalon Senior Member

Thumbs up Turmeric: India's 'Holy Powder' Finally Reveals Its Centuries-old Secret

Scientists have unlocked the secrets of the "holy powder" turmeric. (Credit: Wikimedia Commons, Public Domain Image)

ScienceDaily (Apr. 21, 2009) — Scientists in Michigan are reporting discovery of the secret behind the fabled healing power of the main ingredient in turmeric — a spice revered in India as "holy powder."

In the study, Ayyalusamy Ramamoorthy and colleagues point out that turmeric has been used for centuries in folk medicine to treat wounds, infections, and other health problems. Although modern scientific research on the spice has burgeoned in recent years, scientists until now did not know exactly how curcumin works inside the body.

Using a high-tech instrument termed solid-state NMR spectroscopy, the scientists discovered that molecules of curcumin act like a biochemical disciplinarian. They insert themselves into cell membranes and make the membranes more stable and orderly in a way that increases cells' resistance to infection by disease-causing microbes.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0420123051.htm
judykott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 05:37 PM   #2
Carol
Project Avalon Hero

Default Re: Turmeric: India's 'Holy Powder' Finally Reveals Its Centuries-old Secret

Thanks Judy. Turmeric is at least 8 times more effective if used with green tea as a cancer preventative. Make green tea and sprinkle some turmeric on it or take a capsule with the green tea. It also helps rids the body of inflamation and excellent for the heart, arthritis, bursitis, tendonitis, joint pain and so on.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:22 PM   #3
peaceandlove
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Turmeric: India's 'Holy Powder' Finally Reveals Its Centuries-old Secret

TURMERIC: “The Golden Goddess"

Quote:
Excerpt:
Combined with black pepper, curcumin becomes 2000 times more potent
This article has some very invaluable information on turmeric.

California College of Ayurveda
Article: http://www.ayurvedacollege.com/Turme...denGoddess.htm

I have been putting a good quality powdered turmeric in my morning drink for a while. Now I add a little black pepper, since I just heard about that a month ago, i think on C2C.
peaceandlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 12:22 AM   #4
piers2210
Avalon Senior Member

Combined with a Cobra Indian beer in a good curry...unbeatable. So my son says.
piers2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 02:06 AM   #5
Orion11
Avalon Senior Member

thanks Judy!!
Orion11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 03:21 AM   #6
Carol
Project Avalon Hero

Cobra Indian Beer. OMG! I had visions of someone milking venom from the little buggers.