Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > What’s Going Down > What Does It Mean ?

Notices

What Does It Mean ? What does this all mean for the Ground Crew ?

Old 04-17-2009, 11:16 AM   #1
Antaletriangle
Avalon Senior Member

Default Youth called to serve.

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/can...id=1486195&p=1

Justin Trudeau gave a speech in Toronto this week at 8 o'clock in the morning, in a basement conference room of a downtown hotel, in front of 45 businesspeople strewn between a dozen half-empty tables. Neither the dim setting nor early hour were uplifting, but the rookie politician, with his gift of earnestness, did his best to inspire the crowd.

"If any young person wants to serve their country -- typically between high school and university for a year -- they should be given the opportunity to do so," Mr. Trudeau said, promoting his plan to create a nationwide battalion of teenage volunteers.

He envisioned a renewed national commitment to volunteer service, "where we have young people discovering their capacity to make changes in the world, while we have communities receiving this influx of powerful, energetic, committed volunteers wanting to make a difference."

Among the legacies of Mr. Trudeau's famous father, Pierre, is Katimavik, a federally funded youth service organization that was founded on his watch. It died, temporarily, amid the cost-cutting of the 1980s recession, but in this latest economic downturn, something of its spirit is being reborn.

Justin Trudeau last month tabled a private member's motion in Parliament that would lay the foundation for a national volunteer service policy for young people. The proposal has garnered some praise from Conservatives and the NDP alongside Mr. Trudeau's own Liberal party, suggesting it is more than an airy-fairy notion put forward by the idealistic son of a former prime minister.
Barack Obama, the U. S. President, has also launched a crusade to reignite his own country's commitment to national service.

I wonder if there is any connection??lol.
cont.on link above
Antaletriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:37 PM   #2
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Youth called to serve.

What I don't understand is why people are opposed to volunteer service? If someone wants to do this, they should be able to. I think certain folks are unfairly demonizing the idea of volunteer work.
Humble Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:58 PM   #3
Myplanet2
In The Mists

There's nothing to stop anyone from volunteering anytime they like.

But I'd prefer to see volunteerism organized from the grass roots level, or spring up spontaneously, rather than organized by governments who steal trillions from future taxpayers and gift it to friends who made large campaign contributions and can now use a little help easing their gambling debts.

Nothing wrong with volunteering.
Myplanet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:29 PM   #4
Northern Boy
Avalon Senior Member

Government needs to clarify what it is young people are volunteering for as well. There needs to be transparency so the young people are not deceived into volunteering for something they may not want to do
Northern Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:34 PM   #5
Swanny
I dont need a label !

I can't help but think of the Hitler youth when I see stuff like this
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote