Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Project Avalon General Discussion

Notices

Project Avalon General Discussion Finding safe places, information and resources for building communities, site suggestions.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:27 AM   #1
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member

Default Thoughts on the recent changes to this forum

Dear Forum Members,

The moderators have been challenged a lot since the site went back to its original format whereby a donation is not required in order to contribute.

During the time the forum was subscription, its character changed. Groups formed up, new unwritten protocols came into being. Some amongst the members were so happy with this construct they took it upon themselves to defend it at all costs – even though there people were not moderators. Sometimes things got ugly – usually these issues all got sorted out peacefully and we all learned.

Now the forum has opened its doors once more. These old dynamics and rules probably will not work anymore. The moderator team, its numbers enhanced will need to take over as they did before.

This is a positive opportunity because many people never wanted to pay to be able to express themselves in this way and felt that the whole money deal was a mistake. It doesn’t really matter now, it is what it is, and it is in the past.

Some of the moderator team are still on board from those early days. We remember how things went before and during the first transition.

What we must all realise it that this change is upon us again. Some of those little groups – protected in their enclave of co-operation between a broadly-speaking “closed groups” are like sandcastles: things of beauty, but they only last until the tide turns. Some however will survive - built on firmer foundations, cleverly designed and out of reach of those tides – and that will be down to the skill of their founders and contributors.

A good example (one among many) is the healing thread: No-one would have expected any disrespectful or off topic remarks on that thread – its kind of like stealing from a blind beggar. Now veiled accusations of hypocrisy can be made in that thread and they are entirely within the scope of the forum guidelines. If the moderators don’t act on this, then in the eyes of those with whom we enjoyed the peace and harmony of the subscriber model: we are protecting the "bad guys" - but they are not "bad guys" - they are other forum members.

In some cases, the behaviour of the moderators looked like we were rebuking those people who were railing against these changes. As it was so eloquently put by waitinginthewings, we were acting like the prosecution in a rape case – making the victims feel that it was their fault. To those people - it wasn’t your fault – we never meant to say that - I am sorry for my part in creating this impression.

You are not really victims. What happened was change – its here now - cant alter it. Change makes victims of us all if we let it. It is a choice. Everything resolves down to the choices we make and the degree to which we assume responsibility for those choices.

Some will now leave – tired of it all - I got the PM's already. Others won't leave, they will adapt and recognise the huge challenges of trying to keep their focus on harmony, amidst the increased levels of distraction and the changing culture of the site. To those that endure - I am honored to be able to share in this energy with you.

The norms and structures of that old world are now open to a new and diverse set of views and these are inevitably going to challenge the status quo and character of the forum.

I think it right that this process be allowed to proceed unimpeded.

Please let me know how you feel.

A..

Last edited by Anchor; 12-21-2009 at 09:51 AM.
Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:39 AM   #2
Ravens and Doves
Avalon Senior Member

Default Important

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor View Post
Dear Forum Members,

The moderators have been challenged a lot since the site went back to its original format whereby a donation is not required in order to contribute.

The Avelon banner is no longer on the Camelot home page and I can't find it anywhere. I just directed a bunch of high profile folks to Camelot to join Avalon and now.... oh, my.

I hope this gets sorted out.

With Love and Respect,

Paul

Last edited by Anchor; 12-21-2009 at 09:52 AM. Reason: fixed quote
Ravens and Doves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:44 AM   #3
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Important

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens and Doves View Post
The Avelon banner is no longer on the Camelot home page and I can't find it anywhere. I just directed a bunch of high profile folks to Camelot to join Avalon and now.... oh, my.
Lol - not quite the sort of reply I was expecting - but no matter. Simply direct them to this link

http://projectavalon.net/forum

or if security is an issue for you, send them here:

https://projectavalon.net/forum (you have to allow an exception for the self-signed certificate)

A..
Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:47 AM   #4
Ravens and Doves
Avalon Senior Member

[QUOTE=Ravens and Doves;206077]
Quote:
Dear Forum Members,

With Love and Respect,

Paul

OK, I found it, but when scrolling down the Cam home page, it can easliy be overlooked. It's only thin text and I think you'd agree that it should be shoulder-to-shoulder with Light Warriors, at least. Avalon is a magnificent community and bursting with love and first-hand information.

Happy Everythings to All

Paul
Old 12-21-2009, 09:57 AM   #5
Fredkc
Project Avalon Member

Default Re: Thoughts on the recent changes to this forum

We are 15 days, since the change.

The place is already world's better than I thought it would get, 5 days after it opened up.

10 days in I could see the place calming down.

Over the weekend, the forum seemed back on track, or damned close. But that's just it. the place changed, so far, so good.

Given that;
T'would be interesting to see the posts per day numbers on 11/20 vs. 12/20. The place has certainly picked up in pace, and is settling down. Over all, this is a good thing.

Raven;
There has never been a link to the forums on Camelot's front page (I mean up in the top menu). There is one on Avalon's. I have always wondered about this myself, but it isn't a change, always been that way.

Fred

Evil cannot be killed. Only redeemed.

Chat us up at: Avalon Chat
Fredkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:30 AM   #6
Ravens and Doves
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Lol - not quite the sort of reply I was expecting - but no matter. Simply direct them to this link

http://projectavalon.net/forum

or if security is an issue for you, send them here:

https://projectavalon.net/forum (you have to allow an exception for the self-signed certificate)

A..
Anchor,

I just read your entire opening post and it's very spot on. Confucious returns saying "We are living interesting times..." Avalon reflect the challenging complexicty of these times. Dimplomacy of language is vital!!!!

Nameste

Paul
Old 12-21-2009, 11:11 AM   #7
viking
Avalon Senior Member

It's Great to have you in the drivers seat Anchor...Absolutely spot on.

viking
viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:39 AM   #8
Ammit
Avalon Senior Member

I think for those of us who were here prior to the subscription will remember the community spirit we had. Things will always change and must for progression of any kind to take place.

This community spirit will return, albeit with a few new names and maybe some lost ones returning and some leaving, but, it will happen and will only take a little time.

Everyone can read the same line of text differently, we all have our own perception of what is being said as we all have our own minds. As long as this can be remembered and not attacked at dawn by misinterpretation, then all will be fine.

Peace to you all

Ammit
Ammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:51 AM   #9
Mark
Avalon Senior Member

I love the fact that this forum has returned to it's original state. It means that I have my voice back here, for what it's worth, at long last. I never liked this forum going to a pay forum, I do understand the reasoning behind this, but to me, it was a change for the worse as we are trying to create new ways of being and money really should not be in our futures - nor plastic type cards or chips.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:59 AM   #10
Luminari
Avalon Senior Member

Lightbulb Re: Thoughts on the recent changes to this forum

Nice summary Anchor. Welcome all new members with open hearts and open minds, glad to have you here.
Its a bit of a mixed frequency bag as we all settle in to the recent changes, the symphony of our vibrations
intertwining into the harmonic resonant chord that is AVALON.
We all have an instrumental role in assisting each other here and in our communities gain deeper insights into the greater realities being played out on our beloved home- Earth.

Luminari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:06 PM   #11
Mark
Avalon Senior Member

Well said, Luminari...
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:55 PM   #12
mudra
Avalon Spiritual Mother

Life is a continuous changing pattern . Moments of status quo come and go .
Change after status quo create seeming disorder but in fact it's a very
natural process . During these times of change we need to adapt ..
A truth that whas once suitable may not be working anymore to fit
the new scene. Finding our balance through chaotic times is a challenge
but as well an apportunity to put our wisdom into practice and to remember
that we are Love.
Knowing this we can work any situation into an harmonious one.

"When you are in the presence of your enemies, you know for a fact that any love you are able to feel is not because of external factors. You are not loving your adversary because of his kindness, or because you like the color of his eyes, or because you stand to profit by the encounter.

"In the presence of your enemies, you know that you are love . . . and the source of your love. That is the most important reason I told you to love your enemies--not for you to become weak or passive, not for you to be walked on, not for you to suffer, not for you to yield advantages to those who oppose you--but for you to learn that you are love. In knowing this, you gain command.

"Love commands the adamantine particles. Between you and anyone opposing you there are many shared particles. Now, of the two of you, which one is going to command them?"

from the book " Love without end " from Glenda Green

Love Always
mudra
mudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:13 PM   #13
pyrangello
Avalon Senior Member

The core of Avalon is alive and well and as the dynamics change a bit the core will maintain it's strength , I'd say between the moderators and Avalon members backing other Avalon members when a dark entity is making a claim on a thread we all have enough light collectively to repel the darkness. I felt that the other day.
pyrangello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:20 PM   #14
Tango
Avalon Senior Member

Sad... I Think a mod will be leaving... I hope I can change the message I got,

I'm working on it... Something, having to do with too ' bright...' harch...

I have to figure it out...

Trooly,

Tango
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:28 PM   #15
Céline
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Dear Forum Members,

The time and energy spent on this is greatly appreciated, may i add though that it was not only moderators that were challenged...challenge is a positive if we learn from it.

During the time the forum was subscription, its character changed. Groups formed up, new unwritten protocols came into being. Some amongst the members were so happy with this construct they took it upon themselves to defend it at all costs – even though there people were not moderators. Sometimes things got ugly – usually these issues all got sorted out peacefully and we all learned.

Love tends to create great passion, and from that comes loyalty...
(excuse me if i take a quote from a movie that i cannot remember the title of..)

Loyalty above everything, except Honor...

Perhaps in our passion to protect, we lost some honor..

Now the forum has opened its doors once more. These old dynamics and rules probably will not work anymore. The moderator team, its numbers enhanced will need to take over as they did before.

This is a positive opportunity because many people never wanted to pay to be able to express themselves in this way and felt that the whole money deal was a mistake. It doesn’t really matter now, it is what it is, and it is in the past.

Some of the moderator team are still on board from those early days. We remember how things went before and during the first transition.

What we must all realise it that this change is upon us again. Some of those little groups – protected in their enclave of co-operation between a broadly-speaking “closed groups” are like sandcastles: things of beauty, but they only last until the tide turns. Some however will survive - built on firmer foundations, cleverly designed and out of reach of those tides – and that will be down to the skill of their founders and contributors.

A good example (one among many) is the healing thread: No-one would have expected any disrespectful or off topic remarks on that thread – its kind of like stealing from a blind beggar. Now veiled accusations of hypocrisy can be made in that thread and they are entirely within the scope of the forum guidelines. If the moderators don’t act on this, then in the eyes of those with whom we enjoyed the peace and harmony of the subscriber model: we are protecting the "bad guys" - but they are not "bad guys" - they are other forum members.

i completely agree that some threads need to be protected more then others.. this is a skill we depend greatly on the moderators to be fair with.

In some cases, the behaviour of the moderators looked like we were rebuking those people who were railing against these changes. As it was so eloquently put by waitinginthewings, we were acting like the prosecution in a rape case – making the victims feel that it was their fault. To those people - it wasn’t your fault – we never meant to say that - I am sorry for my part in creating this impression.

You are not really victims. What happened was change – its here now - cant alter it. Change makes victims of us all if we let it. It is a choice. Everything resolves down to the choices we make and the degree to which we assume responsibility for those choices.

Some will now leave – tired of it all - I got the PM's already. Others won't leave, they will adapt and recognize the huge challenges of trying to keep their focus on harmony, amidst the increased levels of distraction and the changing culture of the site. To those that endure - I am honored to be able to share in this energy with you.

You truly connect with the collective Avalon energy, your post expresse both sides clearly and is filled with love. Thank you.

The norms and structures of that old world are now open to a new and diverse set of views and these are inevitably going to challenge the status quo and character of the forum.

I think it right that this process be allowed to proceed unimpeded.

Please let me know how you feel.

i feel more at peace here now, tho at first i felt threatened i recognized my own involvement and it immediately changed everything...

A..

My two cents...
Céline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:33 PM   #16
Jacqui D
Avalon Senior Member

I welcome change it changes things yes, not always for the bad reasons, things stagnate and need to be revitalised new people coming in, when things get heated it is a shame and when people get attacked it is senseless.
I always think it is better not to add fuel to fire so to speak and let that person who is attacking be ignored they go away eventually if they have no one to back up against they lose interest.
Jacqui D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:42 PM   #17
orthodoxymoron
Avalon Senior Member

The internet has something for everyone. Avalon was good pre-fee, fee, and post-fee. Everything has it's pros and cons. There are many right ways...and many wrong ways to do things. Avalon represents one of many right ways to handle controversial and difficult topics on a global...and possibly galactic scale. Better to fight it out on the internet than to engage in trench-warfare or star-wars. I keep thinking and saying that Avalon is sort of like an informal United Nations...and wouldn't it be cool if Avalon became an informal Galactic United Nations!

Namaste
orthodoxymoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:55 PM   #18
Dood
Avalon Golden Oldie

I have noticed that everyone that posted in this thread has the ABILITY to PM, send Vistor Messages, and so forth.

So, I will speak for those that can't....since I cannot PM this: "When are we ALL going to be able to PM, send Visitor Messages, etc?"

Not ALL of us mis-used these...most do not so why is everyone that registers is then punished as if we have?

This is not a 'snarky post'. It is a dead honest post. It is 'My Thought' as the title says.

Thanks!
Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:59 PM   #19
micjer
Avalon Senior Member

I would like to thank the moderators for their hard work over the past couple of weeks. It can be a thankless job being the judge at times. No matter what decision is made you will be loved on one side of the court and disliked on the other.

We all knew that there would be "interesting" times ahead when the fee was lifted, yet many acted surprised when it happened. Will 2012 be similar...who knows.

Change is good, although at first it may not be welcomed. Let's face it if everyone is more or less thinking along the same lines, do we really learn. From time to time we need to have our beliefs challenged to confirm our feelings. Spiritual and religious talks will fire people up quicker than anything.

Imagine someone crashing into a baptist church announcing Lucifer is the true God. Might get a reaction for a while too. There are ways of discussing topics that are productive. The minute it gets personal people get their backs up and becomes counter-productive.

Intentional disruption of the forum by certain individuals is very distracting, but is something we should all learn from. What is our reaction to this?
Do we take up arms and resist, agree with the comments, or just say "ya ok whatever!"

If we do this ....

maybe we should ask ourselves .... why do I feel this way?

How do we feel towards Cheney , Bush et al. Are they here to actually help us see the polarity of this world? Or do you want them dead?

For those that have read the info from Hidden Hand. How do you feel about this?

This forum will be what we make it and I think we have the ship back on course. Maybe a few icebergs ahead but with our new moderator team at the controls we will make it through just fine.

Cheers!!

M.
micjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:59 PM   #20
Scarab
Banned

I would like to address this specifically. Not to cause argument or problem, but to clarify because the example was used specifically.

Quote:
A good example (one among many) is the healing thread: No-one would have expected any disrespectful or off topic remarks on that thread – its kind of like stealing from a blind beggar. Now veiled accusations of hypocrisy can be made in that thread and they are entirely within the scope of the forum guidelines.
My post(s) were not a veiled accusation of hypocrisy. They were a challenge to 'put up or shut up'. If people here can actually heal, then I would say healing children with cancer would be far more noble than healing a forum friend with a stubbed toe. The point was "If you CAN heal, then DO it and DO it for people who NEED it". My challenge has gone unanswered.

As for 'stealing from a blind beggar'. If the beggar is neither blind nor poor, but pretending to be something he is not, then he is stealing from an unsuspecting populace and needs to be exposed.
Scarab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:01 PM   #21
Tango
Avalon Senior Member

When ONE show's they can be TRUSTED... Or, they GET Nothing from Me.

Tango

P.S. I have the ignore button pushed on members for there actions

So, I don't see when the perps. post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dood View Post
I have noticed that everyone that posted in this thread has the ABILITY to PM, send Vistor Messages, and so forth.

So, I will speak for those that can't....since I cannot PM this: "When are we ALL going to be able to PM, send Visitor Messages, etc?"

Not ALL of us mis-used these...most do not so why is everyone that registers is then punished as if we have?

This is not a 'snarky post'. It is a dead honest post. It is 'My Thought' as the title says.

Thanks!

Last edited by Tango; 12-21-2009 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:08 PM   #22
Dood
Avalon Golden Oldie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
When ONE show's they can be TRUSTED... Or, they GET Nothing from Me.

Tango
All due respect...you do not KNOW me! Same for me KNOWING you.
So how can you prove ANYone can be 'trusted'?
By posting just for the sake of posting?
To me that is spam/trolling. It really does not prove anything...

I do most of my posting with members IN PM's.
This is how I and many others 'Network'.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:15 PM   #23
micjer
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:

This is how I am many others 'Network'.

???

Sorry this just strikes me as odd.

Why be on a public forum then?
micjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:22 PM   #24
Dood
Avalon Golden Oldie

Quote:
Originally Posted by micjer View Post
???

Sorry this just strikes me as odd.

Why be on a public forum then?
I did not say I did not post but, I still do a lot of communication within PMs.
How is that ODD?
Some people do not like airing their personal lives in the 'open' so that is what a Private Message is for.
Contactees for example are leery of sharing 'too much' in the open forum.

This is also vBulletin where mutable PMs can be turned off.

Believe it or not I have been around THIS forum from it's beginnings. Do not let the start up date on this profile fool you.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:26 PM   #25
Tango
Avalon Senior Member

We are Looking for Quality Not Quantity Posts; Respectfully...

Trooly,

Tango

Quote:
All due respect...you do not KNOW me! Same for me KNOWING you.
So how can you prove ANYone can be 'trusted'?
By posting just for the sake of posting?
To me that is spam/trolling. It really does not prove anything...

This is how I and many others 'Network'.