Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Preparations / Advice

Notices

Old 03-21-2009, 10:42 AM   #1
peaceandlove
Avalon Senior Member

Post CANADA "Get Prepared"

Minister Launches New Advertising On Emergency Preparedness

As of March 2nd, Canadians have been told over and over with commercials running during the nighly news on CBC and CTV. The message? That they need to be prepared to handle life for 72 hours without outside help. That's 3 days folks.

Is Your Family Prepared?

Article and Video: http://getprepared.gc.ca/index-eng.aspx
peaceandlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:31 PM   #2
scanner
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: CANADA "Get Prepared"

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceandlove View Post

As of March 2nd, Canadians have been told over and over with commercials running during the nighly news on CBC and CTV. The message? That they need to be prepared to handle life for 72 hours without outside help. That's 3 days folks.

Is Your Family Prepared?

Article and Video: http://getprepared.gc.ca/index-eng.aspx
Thats very strange for a Government, what do they know and not telling ? Thanks for the link.
scanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 01:14 PM   #3
Jacqui D
Avalon Senior Member

I wonder how the people of Canada have reacted to this commercial.
If i saw this in the UK i would certainly want to know what and why they feel that we could cope 72 hours in an emergency situation.
Hm! very strange is this the three day closures that George Green feels may be put into place!
Jacqui D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 01:25 PM   #4
Lorien
Avalon Senior Member

That is definitely a suspect advertisement. Why exactly 72 hours? What will happen that will last 3 days? Why not longer? There have been huge ice storms recently in the U.S. that kept people out of power for a week. In fact it happens almost every winter, yet you never see commercials telling people to be prepared for it.
Lorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 01:27 PM   #5
micjer
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqui D View Post
I wonder how the people of Canada have reacted to this commercial.
If i saw this in the UK i would certainly want to know what and why they feel that we could cope 72 hours in an emergency situation.
Hm! very strange is this the three day closures that George Green feels may be put into place!

For most people simply in one ear and out the other.
micjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 01:39 PM   #6
futureyes
Avalon Senior Member

and experiencing an increase in emergency broadcasts on the radio systems ... announcing to be alert ... be prepared ... more of these interruptions which is very odd for us here ...

as micjer wrote ... most don't even flinch ...

someone knows something more ...

futureyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 01:50 PM   #7
Lorien
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by futureyes View Post
and experiencing an increase in emergency broadcasts on the radio systems ... announcing to be alert ... be prepared ... more of these interruptions which is very odd for us here ...

as micjer wrote ... most don't even flinch ...

someone knows something more ...

So you guys in Canada noticed an increase of Emergency Broadcast System tests too? I was asking about that in another post because I have noticed that here in Pennsylvania too.
Lorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 02:32 PM   #8
sunflower
Avalon Senior Member

Hi Peaceandlove, first of all, I would like to mention how nice it is that we all look out for each other even if we don't live in the same areas of the continent. Much appreciated.

I did catch the tail end of the above commercial once. We have always been able to get info booklets on various emergencies from the gov. website. I had picked up several booklets at a country fair last September. I guess the info is being ramped up.

The gov. of New Brunswick website recommends a week's worth of supplies which I believe is more realistic.

As I have already mentioned before on an Avalon thread I was quite surprised a few months ago when I accidentally noticed US military rations (MRE'S) being offered on Costco online (costco.ca) We ordered some for one daughter and ourselves. Our other two children didn't seem very concerned!

We were obliged to leave our home for two weeks during the ice storm a few years ago because our electric heating failed and our fireplace was next to useless. Since then, we have tried to be as prepared as possible. We had not suffered physically and we were fortunate in the sense that help was always available when we needed it from relatives and various levels of government. A good wake-up call for which I am now very grateful.
sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 04:21 PM   #9
micjer
Avalon Senior Member

Oh there is no doubt that the gov knows something is coming. If they do the advertising and warning when no one is really paying attention, they can creep silently in the night so to speak.

Now when the weather turns wild or a natural / unnatural disaster happens they will be able to say, "well we warned you"!

Our family is pretty well prepared. We have a built in back-up generator that will run our pump in the well and furnace for heat. We have extra food stored and plan on growing more in our own garden this summer.

The one thing I am concerned about is an EMF frying all of our electronic devices. The scary thing is that it would affect not only our house hold appliances, computers, stereos, tv's, etc but also our autos trucks tractors and so on.

http://www.rfcom.ca/primer/index.shtml
Old 03-21-2009, 06:09 PM   #10
burgundia
Avalon Senior Member

At least you can see something going on, warnings, reminders to get prepared and so on. In europe....nothing, as if we were living on a different planet.
burgundia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:19 PM   #11
sunflower
Avalon Senior Member

Burgundia, I recall one of our members mentioning that the Dutch Government was recommending one week's supply of emergency supplies. This makes a lot of sense since much if not most of Holland is below sea level.

This was a few months ago and that's when I began to check what our government was doing by visiting websites, both federal and provincial as well as some state websites.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:20 PM   #12
Swanny
I dont need a label !

Yea I just found this about America

Are feds stockpiling survival food?
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.p...w&pageId=70281

Like you say burgundia we aren't getting any warnings over here? Do they have something different planned for us?
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:40 PM   #13
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

hmmm well three days would be easy, a week wouldn't even be to bad, I could live on a loaf of bread and peanut butter for a week if I had to. A couple weeks would take a little planning but still wouldn't be to hard, but if you start talking about months and months, you really need to think it out and plan for it, oh and plan on losing some weight, LOL
Interesting article Swanny but I really don't know what to believe anymore, especially when it comes to the internet!
Dantheman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:47 PM   #14
NorthernSanctuary
Avalon Senior Member

A few weeks ago at work, we were given a provincial government information package on that 72 hour preparation. I thought it was very unusual, that they knew more than they were telling.
NorthernSanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 03:19 AM   #15
alyscat
Avalon Senior Member

I think that was last year when things like the dried foods from Mountain House were not available because the feds were buying them up. However, my local distributor has them back in stock, and has had for a couple of months. Not that they're cheap, mind you.
alys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanny View Post
Yea I just found this about America

Are feds stockpiling survival food?
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.p...w&pageId=70281

Like you say burgundia we aren't getting any warnings over here? Do they have something different planned for us?
alyscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 03:23 AM   #16
alyscat
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by micjer View Post
For most people simply in one ear and out the other.
Indeed, it is that way in Florida, too. But we have some warning if a hurricane is about to hit, and then the shelves empty. Part of the problem is that if it doesn't happen right then, people tend to expect it not to happen later.

alys
alyscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:18 AM   #17
henners
Project Avalon Researcher

Great thread Peaceandlove. Last year some of us here in Sydney met up with "someone" who gave us information regarding future events.
Part of that information was a question. "If the government and police closed off the roads and shops etc for a short period, say 3 to 4 days, could you survive with what you have in your home/pantry etc?" We asked why they would do that. His answer was that the police and government can do what they want with a reasonable excuse and we would have to go along with it.
There are lots of people out there that know 'something' is going on.
Keep you ears and eyes open..........

Henry
Choose wisely which ones you throw.
henners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:24 AM   #18
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceandlove
The message? That they need to be prepared to handle life for 72 hours without outside help.
It may be suspicious, but it is jolly good advice no matter where you hear it from !

72hrs is the absolute first level of preparadness IMHO, there should be no level of preparedness that falls below that level.

In calculating your level of preparedness assume nothing works. No water, electricity, cabletv, (also - no flushing toilets), no phones.

Personally I think 2 weeks is a better bet as a baseline, but it completely depends on where you are and your exact situation.

A..

Last edited by Anchor; 03-22-2009 at 06:33 AM.
Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:23 PM   #19
sunflower
Avalon Senior Member

Many of the emergency and survival booklets and information differentiate between 72 hours and a week's supply of essentials.

It is recommended that a survival pack of basic supplies sufficient for 72 hours be kept on hand for emergencies forcing people to leave their homes and head out wherever. (earthquakes, fire, floods etc)

The week's supply applies to remaining in one's house eg quarantine, bad weather, disruption of food and water supplies etc.

A few months ago, I heard a similar suggestion over the radio for an emergency pack for the car. Common sense especially if children are involved.

I'm sure that if we check the Red Cross and similar links we would find that this information has been in place for quite a while. As some of you have mentioned, a situation is developing and that may be why the message has intensified.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:11 PM   #20
micjer
Avalon Senior Member

http://standeyo.com/News_Files/Hollys.html

This is a good link for someone who is looking for pamplets / advice for preparing for the worst. Most of the pamplets are free if you ask for them.

http://standeyo.com/index1.html

Old 03-27-2009, 04:48 PM   #21
micjer
Avalon Senior Member

Here is the U S website put up by homeland security.

Ready. gov Get A Kit..

http://www.ready.gov/america/getakit/

When preparing for a possible emergency situation, it's best to think first about the basics of survival: fresh water, food, clean air and warmth.

http://standeyo.com/NEWS/09_Space/09...tastrophe.html

Recommended Items to Include in a Basic Emergency Supply Kit:
Water, one gallon of water per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation
Food, at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food
Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert and extra batteries for both
Flashlight and extra batteries
First aid kit
Whistle to signal for help
Dust mask, to help filter contaminated air and plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place
Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation
Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
Can opener for food (if kit contains canned food)
Local maps

Last edited by micjer; 03-27-2009 at 05:24 PM.