Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Preparations / Advice

Notices

Old 11-02-2008, 04:25 PM   #1
Norval
Banned

Arrow Coleman Fuel is WHITE GAS (UNLEADED)

Coleman Fuel is WHITE GAS (UNLEADED)

Save yourself alot of money, just burn unleaded gas.

I have been running all my Coleman type appliances on unleaded car gas forever. That is
decades for me. It was the lead in the old gas that clogged the elements of the appliances
so just use any unleaded gas, which is all of it today.

Back in the 50-60s all the gas stations in rural areas had White Gas by the drum for
dispensing. Back then it was cheaper than the leaded gas at the pump too! Then in the
seventies we got charged more money for them NOT to put the lead in our gas!?!?! Oh,
how gullible are we?
Norval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 04:56 PM   #2
GregorArturo
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Coleman Fuel is WHITE GAS (UNLEADED)

But white gas burns very clean, and has a more stable combustion in my opinion. However, I can't imagine many of you spin fire on a daily basis, so it's not much of a concern. White gas is a fire dancer's best friend
GregorArturo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:08 PM   #3
Gale
Banned

What about a higher octane unleaded.
I think the rest of that post is derogatory so I will ignore it, for now.
Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:07 AM   #4
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale View Post
I think the rest of that post is derogatory so I will ignore it, for now.
Are you sure about that?

White gas is very refined. We have a version of it in Australia called Shellite.

Professional performers who work with "fire" prefer very refined fuels to do their stuff with because it stinks less and leaves less of a residue. That is what a very good unicycling fire juggler friend once told me anyway.

A..
Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:22 PM   #5
Norval
Banned

The idea of this thread was to help people save money on fuels. To give people the
information they need to help themselves in these times of strife and hardships.

It was bad enough that someone had to mention the use of white gas by fire dancers,
which is far from what this topic and part of the forum is about. But, then to have a
Moderator come back and continue that slant of conversation is beyond my scope of
comprehension.

Over the years I have helped several rural fire departments learn about chemical and fuel
fed fires in fiberglass and paint shops. Fire is dangerous to play with, but it can be fun if
properly done, and highly exciting. Quite spectacular. But the casual mention of it in a
thread meant to help people save on fuel bills is unacceptable conduct. IMO
Norval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:04 PM   #6
GregorArturo
Avalon Senior Member

Norval, this is my job (fire dancing). It pays my bills. I use up to over one gallon of white gas a day sometimes, so of course I am going to spout off my opinion on it. The fumes from white gas are much safer from unleaded gasoline, and it produces much less smoke. If you're at a campsite next to a stove, white gas is a much better idea. That's one reason they use it! I am not saying it cannot be used.

Your attitude on these forums has been of unacceptable conduct. You continually act like you no much more than all of us here and what's right and what's wrong. Guess what, it's your turn "Get an education."

Namaste
Old 11-05-2008, 07:03 PM   #7
Gale
Banned

GregorArturo, you missed the point, this isn’t about gas for shoving in your mouth.

QUOTE:
The idea of this thread was to help people save money on fuels. To give people the information they need to help themselves in these times of strife and hardships.
UN-QUOTE

Your attitude on these forums is unacceptable, GregorArturo.
It's suppose to be, get a life.
Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:22 PM   #8
Carol
Project Avalon Hero

Norval.. you have compiled the most complaints from other members for disparaging remarks to fellow members than complaints lodged against all of the other members combined. This is a warning.

Gale, your remarks to other members are also insulting and disparaging as well. Consider this a warning as well.

Last edited by Carol; 11-06-2008 at 03:24 AM. Reason: typo
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:24 PM   #9
Jenny
Project Avalon Member

I want to underscore Carol's warning.

Jenny

Jenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:01 PM   #10
rosie
Avalon Senior Member

Norval,
Thank you for this information. I had no idea, and would not have found out about it in any other way, as my searches are not usually in this area.

Moderator, why allow other peoples opinions to override a thread that they did not start? I do not understand. Norval and Gale where not trying to put down someone else's opinion, they were only trying to get some much needed info out.

peace & love
rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:10 PM   #11
David
Avalon Senior Member

Good information about white gas. I did not know this. Adding bits about fire dancing is also educational. Thank you.

Kudos for the Mods.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:33 PM   #12
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norval View Post
It was bad enough that someone had to mention the use of white gas by fire dancers, which is far from what this topic and part of the forum is about. But, then to have a Moderator come back and continue that slant of conversation is beyond my scope of comprehension.
Norval, isnt that what threads do? Someone, lets say you, starts one start them and then potentially thousands contribute and give it life in ways you cannot expect to control.

Maybe you said all you needed to say in the first post, and the information is certainly valuable and will be appreciated by many.

There are thousands of members here who are able, and are free within reasonable boundaries to add and enrich that original post.

I myself mentioned Shellite because when I came to Australia I had trouble tracking sources of white gas down. I did it within the context of the thread as it was at the time.

I also stand by my comment on the 3rd posters snipe at the 2nd poster, There is nothing at all derogatory in the second post.

Also, even though I am a moderator, I can and will contribute to threads; and that goes for any moderator on this forum. We are members as well as moderators.

A..

Last edited by Anchor; 11-05-2008 at 10:19 PM.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:39 PM   #13
GregorArturo
Avalon Senior Member

If no one realized, Norval told me earlier this week that I needed to "get an education" for a theory I was putting forth which actually has scientific backing for. One of the leading professors at my university told me this week I'm one of the most intelligent students he's ever had, so yes I am getting an education and well respected at the institution by many professors. I feel seriously disrespected from such a comment.

Two, I was sharing my information on using it because I wouldn't doubt that I have more experience with coleman fuel than anyone on the forum, not to mention I have a bunch of experience with other fuels, and even mixing fuels. And I do use them besides performing. Regardless of costs, I find it safer! That is a valid point in terms of discussion. It's like telling people to use ethanol instead of gasoline cause it's cheaper, and then someone saying well it degrades into water over time.

Otherwise, hugs
Old 11-05-2008, 10:25 PM   #14
Wetpicketfence
Avalon Senior Member

:w all::wal l:
Wetpicketfence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:11 PM   #15
Mike_Jetson
Avalon Senior Member

Much ado about nothing
Mike_Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:52 AM   #16
Pomguymguy
Avalon Senior Member

Seems to be a lot of hot air that needs to be burnt off on this thread ?

My car runs very well on LPG (hydrocarbons) Seems a few here are letting off a fair bit of it - Make sure you do it in a well ventillated area !

Go for it guys - while the rest of us stand well clear

Last edited by Pomguymguy; 11-06-2008 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Inappropriate link for this forum
Pomguymguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 09:03 AM   #17
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member

Three wildly off topic posts above this have been deleted.
Old 11-08-2008, 01:44 PM   #18
davefla73
Avalon Senior Member

Your attitude on these forums has been of unacceptable conduct. You continually act like you no much more than all of us here and what's right and what's wrong. Guess what, it's your turn "Get an education."

Namaste[/QUOTE]

Hey I dont give a damn about fire danceing , this guy gave valuble info on useing normal cheap gas over White gas thats way more and not always aval it runs out every time theres a hurricain in my area thank you for telling me this original poster! I dont need ot for fire danceing, i got a real use for it and a job.
davefla73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coleman, fuel, gasoline, saving money