Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Preparations / Advice

Notices

View Poll Results: IS THIS INFORMATION USEFULL TO YOU ?
YES ... I LIVE IN AN EARTHQUAKE PRONE ZONE ! 7 38.89%
NOPE ... NO EARTHQUAKES HERE 6 33.33%
COULD BE ... IF I MOVE NEAR A FAULT LINE ? 6 33.33%
WHY DID I COME HERE ... LOSTIE !? 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-24-2008, 02:33 AM   #1
Reuters
Avalon Senior Member

Exclamation We Were "DUPED"! New Earthquake Survival Methods

EARTHQUAKE SURVIVAL

TESTED AND TRUE

PLEASE PAY ATTENTION AND FORWARD THIS INFORMATION FAR AND WIDE!

WHY HAVE WE NOT BEEN TOLD THESE THINGS SOONER??????

EXTRACT FROM DOUG COPP'S ARTICLE ON THE "TRIANGLE OF LIFE",
Omega-News: TRIANGLE OF LIFE - Earthquake Safety Information
http://omega.twoday.net/stories/308957/
Edited
by Larry Linn for MAA Safety Committee brief on 4/13/04.

My name is Doug Copp. I am the Rescue Chief
and Disaster Manager of the American Rescue Team International (ARTI),the world's most experienced rescue team. The information in this article will save lives in an earthquake.

I have crawled inside 875 collapsed buildings, worked with rescue teams from 60 countries, founded rescue teams
in several countries, and I am a member of many rescue teams from
many countries. I was the United Nations expert in Disaster Mitigation (UNX051 -UNIENET) for two years. I have worked at every major disaster in the world since 1985, except for simultaneous disasters.

In 1996 we made a film which proved my survival methodology to be
correct. The Turkish Federal Government, City of Istanbul,
University of Istanbul, Case Productions and ARTI cooperated to film this practical, scientific test. We collapsed a school and a home with 20 mannequins inside. Ten mannequins did "duck and cover," and ten mannequins I used in my "triangle of life" survival method. After the simulated earthquake collapse we crawled through the rubble and entered the building to film and document the results. The film, in which I practiced my survival techniques under directly observable, scientific conditions, relevant to building collapse, showed there would have been zero
percent survival for those doing duck and cover.

There would likely have been 100 percent survivability for people
using my method of the"triangle of life." This film has been seen by millions of viewers on television in Turkey and the rest of Europe, and it was seen in the USA, Canada and Latin America on the TV program Real TV.

The first building I ever crawled inside of was a school in Mexico City during the 1985 earthquake. Every child
was under their desk. Every child was crushed to the thickness of
their bones. They could have survived by lying down next to their
desks in the aisles. It was obscene, unnecessary and I wondered why the children were not in the aisles. I didn't at the time know that the children were told to hide under something.

Simply stated, when buildings collapse, the weight of the ceilings falling upon the objects or furniture inside
crushes these objects, leaving a space or void next to them. This
space is what I call the" triangle of life". The larger the object, the stronger, the less it will compact. The less
the object compacts, the larger the void, the greater the probability that the person who is using this void for
safety will not be injured. The next time you watch collapsed buildings, on television, count the "triangles" you see formed. They are everywhere.

It is the most common shape, you will see, in a collapsed building. They are everywhere. I trained the Fire Department of Trujillo (population 750,000) in how to survive, take care of their families, and to rescue others in earthquakes.

The chief of rescue in the Trujillo Fire Department is a professor at Trujillo University. He accompanied me everywhere. He gave personal testimony:

"My name is Roberto Rosales. I am Chief of Rescue in Trujillo. When I was 11 years old, I was trapped inside of a collapsed building. My entrapment occurred during the earthquake of 1972 that killed 70,000 people. I survived in the "triangle of life" that existed next to my brother's motorcycle. My friends who got under the bed and under desks were crushed to death [he
gives more details, names, addresses etc.]...I am the living
example of the "triangle of life". My dead friends are the example of "duck and cover".

TIPS DOUG COPP PROVIDES:

1) Everyone who simply "ducks and covers" WHEN BUILDINGS COLLAPSE is crushed to death -- Every time, without
exception. People who get under objects, like desks or cars, are always crushed.

2) Cats, dogs and babies all naturally often curl up in the fetal position. You should too in an earthquake. It
is a natural safety/survival instinct. You can survive in a
smaller void. Get next to an object, next to a sofa, next to a large bulky object that will compress slightly but leave a void next to it.

3) Wooden buildings are the safest type of construction to be in during an earthquake. The reason is simple: the wood is flexible and moves with the force of the earthquake. If the
wooden building does collapse, large survival voids are created.
Also, the wooden building has less concentrated, crushing weight. Brick buildings will break into individual bricks. Bricks will cause many injuries but less squashed bodies than concrete slabs.

4) If you are in bed during the night and an earthquake occurs, simply roll off the bed. A safe void will exist around the bed. Hotels can achieve a much greater survival rate in earthquakes, simply by posting a sign on the back of the door of every
room, telling occupants to lie down on the floor, next to the bottom of the bed during an earthquake.

5) If an earthquake happens while you are
watching television and you cannot easily escape by getting out the door or window, then lie down and curl up in the fetal position next to a sofa, or large chair.

6) Everybody who gets under a doorway when buildings collapse is killed. How? If you stand under a doorway and the doorjamb falls forward or backward you will be crushed by the
ceiling above. If the door jam falls sideways you will be cut in
half by the doorway. In either case, you will be killed!

7) Never go to the stairs. The stairs have a different "moment of frequency" (they swing separately from the main part of the building).The stairs and remainder of the building continuously bump into each other until structural failure of the stairs takes place.

The people who get on stairs before they fail are chopped up by the stair treads. They are horribly mutilated.
Even if the building doesn't collapse, stay away from the stairs.
The stairs are a likely part of the building to be damaged. Even if the stairs are not collapsed by the earthquake, they may collapse later when overloaded by screaming, fleeing people. They should always be checked for safety, even when the rest of the building is not damaged.

8) Get Near the Outer Walls Of Buildings Or Outside Of Them If Possible - It is much better to be near the outside of
the building rather than the interior. The farther inside you are from the outside perimeter of the building the greater the probability that your escape route will be blocked;

9) People inside of their vehicles are crushed when the road above falls in an earthquake and crushes their vehicles; which is exactly what happened with the slabs between the decks
of the Nimitz Freeway. The victims of the San Francisco earthquake all stayed inside of their vehicles. They were all killed.

They could have easily survived by getting out and sitting or lying next to their vehicles, says the author. Everyone killed would have survived if they had been able to get out of their cars and sit or lie next to them. All the crushed cars had voids 3 feet high next to them, except for the cars that had columns fall directly across them.

10) I discovered, while crawling inside of collapsed newspaper offices and other offices with a lot of paper, that paper does not compact. Large voids are found surrounding stacks of
paper.
Reuters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:58 PM   #2
deepblu777
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: We Were "DUPED"! New Earthquake Survival Methods

FANTASTIC INFORMATION!

Thank you, with all my heart!

deepblu777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 02:13 PM   #3
blastawaycas
Avalon Senior Member

That is brilliant brilliant info....... If that info saves one life it is priceless........i am fortunate that i do not know what a earthquake is or even a tremor living where i do but that info was utterly priceless thankyou also very interesting reading and opened my eyes as i am a nebosh trained health and safety officer, this info should be made mandatory reading even to uk and european emergency services. Well done sir
blastawaycas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 02:50 PM   #4
David
Avalon Senior Member

It's all about luck. Planes crashes, earth quakes, explosions, it's random and being at the right place at the right time that improves your odds of survival.

David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:20 PM   #5
Reuters
Avalon Senior Member

Red face Re: We Were "DUPED"! New Earthquake Survival Methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastawaycas View Post
That is brilliant brilliant info....... If that info saves one life it is priceless........i am fortunate that i do not know what a earthquake is or even a tremor living where i do but that info was utterly priceless thankyou also very interesting reading and opened my eyes as i am a nebosh trained health and safety officer, this info should be made mandatory reading even to uk and european emergency services. Well done sir
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepblu777 View Post
FANTASTIC INFORMATION!

Thank you, with all my heart!

Hi BlastAwayCas & DeepBlu777,

You Guy's Just Made My Day ! Thank You
Old 11-24-2008, 04:35 PM   #6
milk and honey
Avalon Senior Member

If you would consider changing the colour of the green writing to black i would be able to read it. Please?
milk and honey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:45 PM   #7
Reuters
Avalon Senior Member

Talking Re: We Were "DUPED"! New Earthquake Survival Methods 2nd Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by milk and honey View Post
If you would consider changing the colour of the green writing to black i would be able to read it. Please?
Click on the Link It's The Same Thing

Here it is For The Visually Challenged Interfaces & Much More Appealing !

We Were "DUPED"! New Earthquake Survival Methods
EARTHQUAKE SURVIVAL

TESTED AND TRUE

PLEASE PAY ATTENTION AND FORWARD THIS INFORMATION FAR AND WIDE!

WHY HAVE WE NOT BEEN TOLD THESE THINGS SOONER??????
EXTRACT FROM DOUG COPP'S ARTICLE ON THE "TRIANGLE OF LIFE",
Omega-News: TRIANGLE OF LIFE - Earthquake Safety Information
http://omega.twoday.net/stories/308957/
Edited
by Larry Linn for MAA Safety Committee brief on 4/13/04.

My name is Doug Copp. I am the Rescue Chief
and Disaster Manager of the American Rescue Team International (ARTI),the world's most experienced rescue team. The information in this article will save lives in an earthquake.

I have crawled inside 875 collapsed buildings, worked with rescue teams from 60 countries, founded rescue teams
in several countries, and I am a member of many rescue teams from
many countries. I was the United Nations expert in Disaster Mitigation (UNX051 -UNIENET) for two years. I have worked at every major disaster in the world since 1985, except for simultaneous disasters.

In 1996 we made a film which proved my survival methodology to be
correct. The Turkish Federal Government, City of Istanbul,
University of Istanbul, Case Productions and ARTI cooperated to film this practical, scientific test. We collapsed a school and a home with 20 mannequins inside. Ten mannequins did "duck and cover," and ten mannequins I used in my "triangle of life" survival method. After the simulated earthquake collapse we crawled through the rubble and entered the building to film and document the results. The film, in which I practiced my survival techniques under directly observable, scientific conditions, relevant to building collapse, showed there would have been zero
percent survival for those doing duck and cover.

There would likely have been 100 percent survivability for people
using my method of the"triangle of life." This film has been seen by millions of viewers on television in Turkey and the rest of Europe, and it was seen in the USA, Canada and Latin America on the TV program Real TV.

The first building I ever crawled inside of was a school in Mexico City during the 1985 earthquake. Every child
was under their desk. Every child was crushed to the thickness of
their bones. They could have survived by lying down next to their
desks in the aisles. It was obscene, unnecessary and I wondered why the children were not in the aisles. I didn't at the time know that the children were told to hide under something.

Simply stated, when buildings collapse, the weight of the ceilings falling upon the objects or furniture inside
crushes these objects, leaving a space or void next to them. This
space is what I call the" triangle of life". The larger the object, the stronger, the less it will compact. The less
the object compacts, the larger the void, the greater the probability that the person who is using this void for
safety will not be injured. The next time you watch collapsed buildings, on television, count the "triangles" you see formed. They are everywhere.

It is the most common shape, you will see, in a collapsed building. They are everywhere. I trained the Fire Department of Trujillo (population 750,000) in how to survive, take care of their families, and to rescue others in earthquakes.

The chief of rescue in the Trujillo Fire Department is a professor at Trujillo University. He accompanied me everywhere. He gave personal testimony:

"My name is Roberto Rosales. I am Chief of Rescue in Trujillo. When I was 11 years old, I was trapped inside of a collapsed building. My entrapment occurred during the earthquake of 1972 that killed 70,000 people. I survived in the "triangle of life" that existed next to my brother's motorcycle. My friends who got under the bed and under desks were crushed to death [he
gives more details, names, addresses etc.]...I am the living
example of the "triangle of life". My dead friends are the example of "duck and cover".

TIPS DOUG COPP PROVIDES:

1) Everyone who simply "ducks and covers" WHEN BUILDINGS COLLAPSE is crushed to death -- Every time, without
exception. People who get under objects, like desks or cars, are always crushed.

2) Cats, dogs and babies all naturally often curl up in the fetal position. You should too in an earthquake. It
is a natural safety/survival instinct. You can survive in a
smaller void. Get next to an object, next to a sofa, next to a large bulky object that will compress slightly but leave a void next to it.

3) Wooden buildings are the safest type of construction to be in during an earthquake. The reason is simple: the wood is flexible and moves with the force of the earthquake. If the
wooden building does collapse, large survival voids are created.
Also, the wooden building has less concentrated, crushing weight. Brick buildings will break into individual bricks. Bricks will cause many injuries but less squashed bodies than concrete slabs.

4) If you are in bed during the night and an earthquake occurs, simply roll off the bed. A safe void will exist around the bed. Hotels can achieve a much greater survival rate in earthquakes, simply by posting a sign on the back of the door of every
room, telling occupants to lie down on the floor, next to the bottom of the bed during an earthquake.

5) If an earthquake happens while you are
watching television and you cannot easily escape by getting out the door or window, then lie down and curl up in the fetal position next to a sofa, or large chair.

6) Everybody who gets under a doorway when buildings collapse is killed. How? If you stand under a doorway and the doorjamb falls forward or backward you will be crushed by the
ceiling above. If the door jam falls sideways you will be cut in
half by the doorway. In either case, you will be killed!

7) Never go to the stairs. The stairs have a different "moment of frequency" (they swing separately from the main part of the building).The stairs and remainder of the building continuously bump into each other until structural failure of the stairs takes place.

The people who get on stairs before they fail are chopped up by the stair treads. They are horribly mutilated.
Even if the building doesn't collapse, stay away from the stairs.
The stairs are a likely part of the building to be damaged. Even if the stairs are not collapsed by the earthquake, they may collapse later when overloaded by screaming, fleeing people. They should always be checked for safety, even when the rest of the building is not damaged.

8) Get Near the Outer Walls Of Buildings Or Outside Of Them If Possible - It is much better to be near the outside of
the building rather than the interior. The farther inside you are from the outside perimeter of the building the greater the probability that your escape route will be blocked;

9) People inside of their vehicles are crushed when the road above falls in an earthquake and crushes their vehicles; which is exactly what happened with the slabs between the decks
of the Nimitz Freeway. The victims of the San Francisco earthquake all stayed inside of their vehicles. They were all killed.

They could have easily survived by getting out and sitting or lying next to their vehicles, says the author. Everyone killed would have survived if they had been able to get out of their cars and sit or lie next to them. All the crushed cars had voids 3 feet high next to them, except for the cars that had columns fall directly across them.

10) I discovered, while crawling inside of collapsed newspaper offices and other offices with a lot of paper, that paper does not compact. Large voids are found surrounding stacks of
paper.

Last edited by Reuters; 11-24-2008 at 05:08 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:25 PM   #8
milk and honey
Avalon Senior Member

Thanks Reuters.

Can i offer you a bandaid for that?
milk and honey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:06 PM   #9
SavannahSkye
Avalon Senior Member

Location: The silver Star, or the rose cross...no inbetween..

DOUGLAS COPP - WORSE THAN URBAN LEGEND: DANGEROUS ADVICE! AND NOW
FOR SOME GOOD ADVICE FOR EARTHQUAKE SAFETY
Marla Petal, Ph.D. is Director of Bogaziçi University, Kandilli Observatory and Earthquake
Research Institute's Disaster Preparedness Education Program. Her doctoral research is on the
causes of deaths in the 1999 Kocaeli Earthquake and implications of these findings for public
education. September, 2004
Recently many well-meaning people, wanting to be safe have unwittingly fallen victim to Douglas
Copp, and his "Earthquake Tips". If you took the time to read Copp's advice and you thought it
might have some merit, or if you passed it on to anyone else, please read this and pass this back up
or down the lines. If you haven't, and just want a few good tips for earthquake safety you can skip
all the way to #7 and #8.
To refer to these kinds of stories as urban legend is to be excessively charitable. Apparently Copp
has fooled and victimized many. Some of them were the good people at the Albuquerque Journal in
New Mexico. Some of them were search and rescue volunteers and general public in Turkey. Now
some of them are the recipients of Copp's "earthquake tips" circulated on the Internet. Beware of
Copp and his American Rescue Organization. Many of my colleagues have briefly and summarily
dismissed him. However, since this advice has been widely circulated among people wanting to
protect themselves, family, friends and neighbors, I am compelled to add a detailed response.

#1: SHOULD YOU BELIEVE ANYTHING DOUG COPP HAS TO SAY? PROBABLY NOT.

DOUGLAS COPP - WORSE THAN URBAN LEGEND
SavannahSkye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:49 PM   #10
Myra
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahSkye View Post
DOUGLAS COPP - WORSE THAN URBAN LEGEND: DANGEROUS ADVICE! AND NOW
FOR SOME GOOD ADVICE FOR EARTHQUAKE SAFETY
Marla Petal, Ph.D. is Director of Bogaziçi University, Kandilli Observatory and Earthquake
Research Institute's Disaster Preparedness Education Program. Her doctoral research is on the
causes of deaths in the 1999 Kocaeli Earthquake and implications of these findings for public
education. September, 2004
Recently many well-meaning people, wanting to be safe have unwittingly fallen victim to Douglas
Copp, and his "Earthquake Tips". If you took the time to read Copp's advice and you thought it
might have some merit, or if you passed it on to anyone else, please read this and pass this back up
or down the lines. If you haven't, and just want a few good tips for earthquake safety you can skip
all the way to #7 and #8.
To refer to these kinds of stories as urban legend is to be excessively charitable. Apparently Copp
has fooled and victimized many. Some of them were the good people at the Albuquerque Journal in
New Mexico. Some of them were search and rescue volunteers and general public in Turkey. Now
some of them are the recipients of Copp's "earthquake tips" circulated on the Internet. Beware of
Copp and his American Rescue Organization. Many of my colleagues have briefly and summarily
dismissed him. However, since this advice has been widely circulated among people wanting to
protect themselves, family, friends and neighbors, I am compelled to add a detailed response.

#1: SHOULD YOU BELIEVE ANYTHING DOUG COPP HAS TO SAY? PROBABLY NOT.

DOUGLAS COPP - WORSE THAN URBAN LEGEND
Since when and where did anyone learn "Duck and Cover" as an Earthquake Drill? Doug Copp did blow it on this one for sure.

"Duck and Cover" was taught in Elementary Schools in the US in the 50's and early 60's as an Atom Bomb Drill, not for Earthquakes.
Yeah, if someone dropped The Big One you would Duck and Cover. Musta been before his time.

Though they did tell us to stand in a Doorway as one option.
Myra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012 usa, earthquake, ellen doug safety, scottland, travolta wilcock