Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Health / Alternative Medicine

Notices

Old 01-21-2010, 01:58 AM   #26
eleni
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Are you a vego?

Phtha- I am willing to share- I'm a certified raw chef (but not raw anymore although I eat a lot of living foods) LOL.....what type recipes are you looking for? I like to keep it simple (better on digestion) so do a lot of raw soups and salads and fermented vegetables (and kefirs such as water kefirs, coconut kefirs) green juices, sea vegetables etc;
eleni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:01 AM   #27
Snowbird
Avalon Senior Member

I have been a vegetarian for more than ten years. I gave up dairy with the exception of a little cheese. I do miss eggs, but I won't eat them anymore.

When I look into the eyes of an animal, I can see and feel the soul of that one. When I look at a carrot or a bell pepper, I cannot see or feel anything but hunger.

It was the brutality and maltreatment of animals that so horrified me that it shocked me into becoming a vegetarian. I have yet to be sorry for making that life-adjustment.
Snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:23 AM   #28
Phtha
Avalon Senior Member

Thumbs up Re: Are you a vego?

mmm a certified raw food chef, I didn't know there was such a thing.

Well... im pretty creative in the juicing department (sometimes too creative lol), so I'm good for that.
Kefirs sound good whatever they are, I'd love like to hear about that one. I'm with you though, the simpler the better. What are your favorites? Faves are often a good bet for flaves.

Whatever you feel like sharing I would be pleased and thankful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleni View Post
Phtha- I am willing to share- I'm a certified raw chef (but not raw anymore although I eat a lot of living foods) LOL.....what type recipes are you looking for? I like to keep it simple (better on digestion) so do a lot of raw soups and salads and fermented vegetables (and kefirs such as water kefirs, coconut kefirs) green juices, sea vegetables etc;
Phtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:10 AM   #29
eleni
Avalon Senior Member

Here is one source for water kefir grains- I eat/drink a lot of fermented foods- so those are my personal favorites- coconut water kefir is my absolute favorite.....I also make a lot of saurkraut, kimchi too-
http://www.waterkefirgrains.com/

Raw soups I blend are another favorite although I consume those in the warmer months when wonderful seasonal fruits and vegetables are available at farmer's market-
I'd rate an heirloom tomato bisque as an all around favorite soup but there are many.....
To make take 6 large heirloom tomatoes
juice of one half lime or more to taste
pinch of cumin
some top quality raw olive oil such as Bariani brand
and salt to taste if you use salt (I use various salts)

Blend tomatoes in a food processor, add cumin , salt if using and lime juice.
Then add oil to make a bisque like texture- not too much- some of those raw soups call for 1/2 to one cup full of olive oil
Garnish with chopped fresh basil and serve.

Some info on coconut water kefir:
http://www.rawradianthealth.com/blog...oconut-yogurt/
Old 01-21-2010, 03:45 AM   #30
eleni
Avalon Senior Member

Would you care for any granola recipes? I make ours from sprouted buckwheat and some nuts- adding in hemp and chia seeds after I dehydrate it.
Serve with fresh or cultured nut/seed mylk......
Old 01-21-2010, 04:45 AM   #31
Phtha
Avalon Senior Member

wow I've gotta try that kefir, all I really drink is water and lately Ive been craving something else, that's perfect.

Also that tomatoe soup! I love tomatoes so its funny I've never thought of making a raw tomato soup before. I make raw avocado soups and those are really good (or can be) incase anyones interested in ideas.

Have you ever tried to use hemp oil instead of olive oil for you soups?
Ive recently been learning to make my own doughs, I was surprised at how much olive oil is used for them too.

Thanks for these most muchly!

With granola, usually I just buy those fancy organic ones, you know.. those homemade looking ones that are like $5000 for 5 grams.
Again I never thought of making my own granola by just buying the ingredients on their own, I bet that saves a ton. I can already come up with all sorts of ideas...
Blest are you!
Old 01-21-2010, 04:46 AM   #32
rhyzohm
Avalon Senior Member

Last edited by rhyzohm; 03-13-2010 at 05:53 AM.
rhyzohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:04 AM   #33
eleni
Avalon Senior Member

Phta- oh there are great raw soups out there- another favorite is a celery soup based on raw almond mylk....

Yes, I use hemp oil but mainly for salads- I find the taste too strong for most goods though- hemp seeds - I love even though they are sterilized.......chia seeds are my favorite- I make *tapioca pudding* using chia seeds, fresh made coconut mylk, lecuma powder and vanilla pod powder- yum!

Yes, those raw granola's are expensive- I just came up with a non sweetened one for our business (we own a raw vegan/herbal tonic lounge).....

rhyzohm- I don't use any starter for fermented vegetables- I use a Harsch crock http://www.wisementrading.com/foodpr...sch_crocks.htm
which has been turning out fool-proof krauts and such for years.....

For cultured nut mylks - I have used various starters- most recently I use Donna Gates kefir starter- https://shop.bodyecology.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BE010 although I originally learned to use probiotics years ago- have made all sorts of nut mylk yogurts too although they are thinner than standard dairy yogurts....
Old 01-21-2010, 06:08 AM   #34
Phtha
Avalon Senior Member

Jeese yea, I bet you can use just about any 'reasonable' vegetable for a raw soup base. This opens up a whole new avenue for me, sometimes I just need a kick start it seems. Do you think honey would work in place of brown sugar for the kefir drinks?
Old 01-21-2010, 11:44 AM   #35
gita
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by She-Ra View Post
Gita - much respect to you for having started out so young.
Back at you girl! My earliest recollection of refusing to eat meat is about age 4 and I would just raid the fridge and eat the biggest fruits I could find which I was getting constantly told off for but I stuck to my principle and I still have to fight my mum to this day as she still tries to feed me meat by sneaking it in my food. Mothers!!

Just like to say how in your picture you look so similar to my sister but she's got black hair - spooky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by She-Ra View Post
When I cook, I cook on high heat and quickly, steam, and sometimes I bake. I'm probably about 50/50 raw at the moment and more when being healthy.
Great tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleni View Post
Hi eleni. It would be great if you could start a thread with just recipes in it as they sound delicious.

Last edited by gita; 01-22-2010 at 09:04 AM.
gita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:59 AM   #36
eleni
Avalon Senior Member

I have not heard of using honey for it- raw sugar is what we use- here's soe more info- look below at the questions
http://happyhealthybalance.blogspot....ir-grains.html

Yes, that would be fun to start a recipe thread with pictures- need to recharge the batteries for y camera and then it's a go!
Old 01-22-2010, 03:05 AM   #37
es7ter
Avalon Senior Member

Zucchini pasta with pesto and marinara sauce (for a main course)

First make the pesto:
• ¾ cup of cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
• 4 tablespoon of raw pine nuts
• 6 cloves of garlic
• ¾ cup of fresh basil leaves
• 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh parsley
• Sea salt to taste
Method: put it into a food processor and blend it until desired texture is achieved

Secondly make the marinara sauce:
• 2 cups of sundried tomatoes (not in oil)
• 6-8 ripe roma tomatoes
• ¼ small onion
• ¼ cup of fresh basil leaves
• 2 tablespoon of cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
• 2 springs of fresh parsley
• 2 cloves of garlic
• A few fresh oregano leaves
• Sae salt to taste
Method: put all the ingredients into the blander with some water if the texture is too thick

Last, make the zucchini pasta:
• Use 1 medium zucchini per person.
• The sauce and the pesto should easily feed a 4-6
Method: Peel the green skin off thinly. Use a spiral cutter to make curls or alternatively you can use a potato peeler. If you do it this way, just keep peeling while rotating until you end up with the seeds in the middle. When it gets really thin to peel any further you can chop the rest into thin slices.

Once it’s all done mix the pesto with the zucchini pasta until it’s evenly coated. Serve it on to plates and top it with the marinara sauce. Crack some black pepper on top.
Bon appetite
(This recipe is from the raw food celebration book by Nomi Shannon and Sheryl Duruz)
es7ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:09 AM   #38
es7ter
Avalon Senior Member

I hope you guys will enjoy this healthy and super tasty dish. Takes max 30 minutes and I am sure you’ll get 10 points for it. I did.
Eat well, live well!
es7ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:37 AM   #39
Phtha
Avalon Senior Member

What a great idea, Zuchini as pasta noodles! I'm gonna have to write a list for this one. Anymore 'complex' dishes like this you can share?

Looking forward to that Recipe thread Ele. Maybe we can all make up a superb Avalonian dish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by es7ter View Post
I hope you guys will enjoy this healthy and super tasty dish. Takes max 30 minutes and I am sure you’ll get 10 points for it. I did.
Eat well, live well!
Old 01-22-2010, 06:35 AM   #40
taomation
Avalon Senior Member

Great thread... Vegan here in Los Angeles. Had four friends go veggie last month. Three of them vegan right off. Pretty amazing. The key to health and healing the planet is to stop all killing of sentient beings.
taomation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:55 PM   #41
Peace of mind
Avalon Senior Member

A recipe thread will be a great idea. Eating healthy can be such a creative process and my culinary skills are a bit lacking…I mostly eat out. I'm looking forward to discovering a few more tasty dishes to put on my menu, as of right now PJ and grilled cheese sandwitches are near the top of my list. lol you guys are starting to make me hungry over here…

Peace
Peace of mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:08 PM   #42
Phtha
Avalon Senior Member

I'm about to get myself a food processor and am wondering if anyone here can recommend a good one?
The ones I've been checking out locally are plastic, and I'd prefer a glass one, much easier to clean and a little healthier.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:45 AM   #43
eleni
Avalon Senior Member

Am away right now but wanted to post a delicious breakfast smoothie we enjoyed the other day (it's not low fat BTW)....

1 young coconut - flesh and water
1 avocado
1/2 lemon or lime juiced
vanilla pod powder or 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
pinch salt (I used pink salt)

Blend and enjoy!

And my fave green juice

1 head celery
1 cucumber
1 granny smith or other green apple
1 lemon peeled
1 thumb sized knob of ginger
1 bunch of cilantro

Wash all, juice and enjoy!
Old 02-05-2010, 06:26 AM   #44
Phtha
Avalon Senior Member

I made up one of those 'search through fridge and cupboards to see what I can find' salads today, but it was actually pretty good!

Simple and quick
Raw mashed cauliflower salad

Ingredients for two:
Half a head of cauliflower
Two carrots
One or Two avocadoes (to your taste)
Fresh raisins (to taste)

Directions
In a large bowl:
Crush cauliflower into tiny pieces (I just used my fingers)
Grate the Carrots (With peels on for more vitamins)
Add avocadoes and raisins and stir everything together quite well.

Thats it , quick munchy

Eleni I'm glad you mentioned the granny smith apples, it's a good point to bring up. For those that aren't aware, many apples have been modified to have up to 40x more sugar then they should, such as the red delicious brand.
gravenstein apples are one of my faves if you can find them. Here in BC the grossery stores only sell modified garbage aside from granny smith now and again.. I can only get the good apples in the summer from local farmers markets.