Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Spirituality

Notices

Old 12-13-2008, 05:46 PM   #1
Kulapops
Avalon Senior Member

Default Step away from the PC

Put .... the .... PC .... down !!

Dear all,

How many of you find yourselves logging on every day to keep your finger on the pulse of what is going on on this forum, or indeed in the world?

I feel though we are in danger of becoming overloaded with information; not just PA and PC, but the whole internet gives me access to a world of worry.

I'm not saying we shouldn't be prepared or aware, but I now think that logging on every day is not a healthy activity for myself, it's almost like my soul connects into something much bigger than me and I am drained by it more than nourished.

Maybe someone else has had similar experiences?

It's bad enough zoning out to tv, but does anyone find that there's a kind of listlessness about zoning out at the PC? You check one site, then another...read some random tit-bit about something big that's going down...then you think about that .. and the ramifications...then you wonder about the authenticity of the information...and then something else catches your eye and you read that too... then you read an argument between two people on a post and you wonder who's right and if they are fair to each other.... and meanwhile...wait... what's that sound ? yes....it's your life , ticking away while all that is going on.

If I don't even turn on the PC at all some days, then I've found the day runs very differently. Anyone else found that ? There's more peace for a start.

We have to consider how we regulate the time we allocate, or all our time will be consumed. And for what, in the end?

Good luck, and peace and love be with you,

K

Last edited by Kulapops; 03-04-2010 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Shortened again. Shortened. This guy really does ramble on.
Kulapops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 06:29 PM   #2
burgundia
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Step away from the PC

There is a lot of truth in what you wrote.
burgundia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:59 PM   #3
avyaktam
Avalon Senior Member

I was a heavy gamer and suddenly In the middle of a game I had enough and didn't play for years. I was a computer doctor (installing, getting rid of viruses, getting crashed systems running etc) and one day it was too much. I didn't touch the thing for 8 months. Using my friends from time to time for the e-mail.
In general much prefer paper text over e-text. Electronic media hook you, you have to discipline yourself to exist and do a lot of yer time in the real, physical world. You definitely make a point I agree to.
avyaktam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:10 PM   #4
ucan
Avalon Senior Member

Yes - the written word is beautiful, I love getting letters. Computers are so addictive - Searching and seeking continually is kind've an insecurity thing - it also symbolises our internal search for "truth".

Downtime is important - I agree, and do it myself - I've been a proper computer nerd for about 20 years. I'm creative and use my computers (yes I have quite a few) as instruments, but it's important to detox from it like everything else - don't take anything for granted!
ucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:30 PM   #5
Sol Invictus
Banned

I offer the other side of the coin here.

Lack of access to the web.

iceland banking crisis. Had I not known about it my money would be frozen or 'gone' now in the collapse.

War and world threats. Had I not been 'up to speed' I would of been in a place where a high possibilty of conflict was going to erupt.

I agree we need rest, but in times when the powers above us use global networks to achieve almost instant results, we need fresh vital news, not three / four day old rumours like appear in a controlled mass media world led by the very people who want to enslave us.
Sol Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:57 PM   #6
ucan
Avalon Senior Member

Thanks Sol - ironically I agree also - lol
ucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:20 PM   #7
Sol Invictus
Banned

Its true though Ucan - think about the georgia war - No internet we would all of been soun a web of lies and millions would now be marching up to moscow armed to the teeth.

Global communications showed us BEFORE the governments tried to spin a conflict that it was a minor spat and georgias fault egged on by the USA.

Thats why global access to light speed comms is vital for our efforts to rtack and fight the PTB agenda.
Sol Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:32 PM   #8
giovonni
Avalon Senior Member

Lightbulb Re: Step away from the PC

Ok OK OK OK!

I know I need help..gio
giovonni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:33 PM   #9
Czymra
Avalon Senior Member

Yes and No. As Sol pointed out, these things are very important right now. But I do wish that less of my work was computer based. This way I spend all day in front of my laptop. At least it's mobile! Best move in years! Don't hang with a desktop!
Czymra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:27 PM   #10
Kulapops
Avalon Senior Member

Well, the K is back !

Temporarily. I never left, really... none of those... That's it... I'm off, ...sniff...sniff... vote-if-you-want-me-to-stay threads for me. I just kept dipping in and reading the odd post here and there.

To be truthful, that made it less addictive. Writing and reading posts. Woah...

Anyway, been back a couple of days and I'm smiling already at myself, and the groundhog year I've had.

Almost one year ago I was totally worried about the imminent collapse of everything as we know it - due to finance. OK, I'd only just found out about some of the stuff, and it worried me that people weren't aware, people I knew that is.

In my quest to find out more, I spent too long at the PC and I wrote this post. Almost one year on, and we're again facing the collapse of everything as we know it - this time from flu!

Last week I forced myself to not turn the computer on for two whole days. Then a couple of days after that I caught up with world affairs, rejoined avalon and read this thread from the past.... about the need to turn off that PC

Let me be a warning to others !

Let's Put the PC down (after my month's sub is up of course) and take a step closer to our hearts.

True, then we won't know what's going on, but hey, do we know anyway ??

Love yas...

K
Old 09-13-2009, 11:34 PM   #11
Ammit
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulapops View Post
Put .... the .... PC .... down !!

Dear all,

Just wanted to say that I had a three day holiday from the PC this week, and in fact I've been resisting the temptation to 'gen-up' for the last month or so.

How many of you find yourselves logging on every day to keep your finger on the pulse of what is going on on this forum, or indeed in the world?

For myself there are a couple of websites I would look at everyday... urbansurvival for one.

I really like Avalon, and what Bill and Kerry are doing, and I hope people remain alert and aware and connected to their higher selves. So this is in no way saying anything against visiting their sites. They do what they say on the tin, they provide information and resource, and for myself, I think that their responses and actions feel honest and true to me.

I may not be posting for a while, so the thought I'd like to leave (if I have just 24 hours to say one more thing gratis) is that I feel we are in danger of becoming overloaded with information; not just PA and PC, but the whole internet gives me access to a world of worry. {long quote shortened by mod-K]
I do this often as some people anger me because they believe they are the only voice, I now log into here maybe twice a week, poultry sites the rest of the time.

Last edited by Karen; 09-14-2009 at 03:39 AM.
Ammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:40 AM   #12
happyhollergal

I have to agree with all the above. It is good to keep abreast of new goings-on, but also very useful to take a day off from the overwhelming amount of information on the net. Mostly, I read Avalon daily, but hardly ever feel compelled to write anything. I try to gain knowledge by researching what is written here and a few other places. I listen to both sides, and then do the footwork to find my own answers based on facts. When I take a day off, I spend it working in the yard outside, playing with my new baby goat Merlin, or reading a book not related to the topics that I research. I must admit, after a day off, I am curious to find out what was exposed while I was taking a break, so I rush to the computer the next morning. Either I'm excited to find something totally new, or exasperated to find the same-old same-old. I do believe in getting what I call "burn-out". In my case, my mind tells me when it's time for a break, so I would advise to listen to your inner voice to keep your balance. The same sites will still be here when you return. Hope everyone has a very pleasant week!
Old 09-14-2009, 03:40 AM   #13
TRANCOSO
Avalon Senior Member

I wonder how many of you also use your pc professionaly, & not just to surf the web as a 'hobby'?
Newspapers are no longer a reliable source for info, nor is tv.
I think mobile phones are a much bigger hazard to mankind, than pc's.
TRANCOSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:51 AM   #14
orthodoxymoron
Avalon Senior Member

I am very conflicted regarding all of the above. To really master the infowar...one probably needs to go into overdrive and overexpose oneself to as many perspectives as possible. On the other hand...if you burn out and go nuts...what good are you then? I keep trying to get away from Avalon...but I seem to be addicted. Perhaps we need to form a chat support group called 'AA' (Avalon Anonymous)...or Avalonanon! Or how about 'Friends of Bill and Kerry'?

How about one day on...and one day off? Focus on the net for one day...and then focus on books and newspapers the next day. I've been trying to finish 'Behold a Pale Horse' by Bill Cooper...and I spent a couple of hours reading it today. There is something therapeutic about actually reading a book...even a book as upsetting as Cooper's.

'Step away from the PC...and nobody gets hurt!'

Last edited by orthodoxymoron; 09-14-2009 at 04:51 PM.
orthodoxymoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 04:59 AM   #15
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

Haven't been here much the past few days and that's good.

I check occassionally but otherwise, I'm too busy enjoying life as an unemployed laborer. It's actually a better life without that mindless work to get in the way. I am looking for work as always.

I meditate more now and usually before bed.
Humble Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:19 AM   #16
burgundia
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulapops View Post
Well, the K is back !

Let me be a warning to others !

Let's Put the PC down (after my month's sub is up of course) and take a step closer to our hearts.

True, then we won't know what's going on, but hey, do we know anyway ??

Love yas...

K
This is so true....!!!!!
For almost a year i was sort of addicted to Camelot and Avalon. But then I realized that my life can't be this virtual reality only....I spend less time here, which is good. I have noticed that some of us, "old timers", come here less frequently. Going to our hearts, yes, absolutely....living in reality, interacting with real people and events, yes, absolutely...being informed and awake, yes, absolutely. the last clause do we know anyway
is very meaningful and sort of sums up everything...
burgundia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:24 AM   #17
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member

I can only wholeheatedly agree with the OP.

Having a short rest from anything is amazing, and helps you regain perspective and balance.

It is very easy to obsess.

I've been there myself! One time it was giving up games to give my fingers a chance to heal Another time it was stopping being moderator here for a while.

A..
Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:21 AM   #18
Kulapops
Avalon Senior Member

Default Avalonanon !

Hey, Avalonanon !!!

I love it. And I love you guys. Maybe therein lies the source of the addiction, enjoying reading people who understand where you're coming from.

Let's face it, not a lot do out there. Wel, maybe that's not right actually, it is changing, but you all know what I mean.

Like I sent out this swine flu mail to my friends and family (it's on another thread here - Putting lipstick on a pig - if anyone's interested).

I conservatively sent it out to thirty people, and only three replied.

But anyway, back on topic. What I don't get is where does the time go to online? that's what bugs me. Even reading an entire newspaper only takes about an hour and a half... so why does being online consume an entire day with ease?

So I definitely agree with the book reading. And as for Merlin the pet goat ! Wow, that's great, I love that, Happyhollergal - I think he surely wants you to spend less time at the pc too ! How cool to have your own goat.

I have a vegetable garden that misses me (well the caterpillars don't, they chew chew chew while I read, read, read) but it's not the same.

So guys? What's the answer ? the trouble with news and new world agendas is you never know when there might be a bit more... so how to take a day off? Decide the night before ??

We've been code red at least since last year... maybe it will continue through till 2011 ? That's a lot of missing hours....

Peace n love

K
Old 09-14-2009, 11:50 AM   #19
mudra
Avalon Spiritual Mother

Default Re: Avalonanon !

Practice for the New Millennium by the Dalai Lama
The Practice:

1. Spend 5 minutes at the beginning of each day remembering
we all want the same things (to be happy and be loved)
and we are all connected to one another.

2. Spend 5 minutes breathing in, cherishing yourself; and, breathing out
cherishing others. If you think about people you have difficulty cherishing,
extend your cherishing to them anyway.

3. During the day extend that attitude to everyone you meet.
Practice cherishing the "simplest" person (clerks, attendants, etc)
or people you dislike.

4. Continue this practice no matter what happens or what anyone does to you.

These thoughts are very simple, inspiring and helpful.
The practice of cherishing can be taken very deeply if done wordlessly,
allowing yourself to feel the love and appreciation that
already exists in your heart.

I am trying to keep with these precepts each day .
Then it does'nt matter where and what I am up to .
Around me there are people and I keep in mind that beyond the screen
when I reach Avalon there are people as well.
When you deal with people do it with your heart as this is imo what makes the whole difference in life.
If you do so you'll always find balance.

Love always
mudra
mudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:27 PM   #20
Jacqui D
Avalon Senior Member

Hi everyone, well i was here from the beginning as many are still here today, i took all the information in made my choices what to do if martial law suddenly happened, it hasn't happened yet! hope it never does.
With autumn now here and winter just around the corner i don't really fancy running for them there hills so to speak.
But where has this year gone!!!
Many of the members have gone also sadly the few who stayed the true gutsy ones still waiting for news still digesting all the news.
I have to say thanks to Bill and Kerry though for all the things that have been said they started something here which grew and grew what a diverse log of people we have here today.
I will always continue to look in nice to see old faces and catch up.
But what i wanted to say is that i agree with the comments regarding to much PC you can get addicted, it's like a drug always watching, logging in, but i have found a happy medium, always take a couple of hours out, hey that world out there may be just an illusion but until the illusion breaks down we are living in this matrix, so i would say yes take a breather go out into the air don't breath too deep though lol!
But try and connect back to nature if there is one thing that brings the heart racing is to connect back to nature this is good for the soul.
Then you can come back to tomorrow and log on lol!!!!
Jacqui D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 04:24 PM   #21
happyhollergal

I love the new name Avalonanon, if I can say it without getting really tongue-twisted. That's funny, but at the same time, very adequate for describing those of us who are addicted to this site. I agree, it's hard not to feel close to a lot of the people who contribute to Avalon. I'm interested in a chat place where we can all meet and be with others who don't look at us as totally insane for our beliefs. By the way, I put up new pictures of Merlin today. We had 2 baby goats, but Gus died a week ago today from pneumonia, which is why I spend much more time now with Merlin. It's amazing, they're like puppies in many ways, and they feel loss and lonliness. Anyhow, let's get something started for those of us who want to connect with one another without being stifled or criticized.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:17 AM   #22
mudra
Avalon Spiritual Mother

Love always
mudra
mudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:22 AM   #23
Steven
Avalon Senior Member

Balance in all things.

Namaste, Steven
Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:53 PM   #24
Kulapops
Avalon Senior Member

Those pictures are fun Mudra.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I think we can all see it's about balance.

But have we got the balance right ?

I know the answer to this for me is 'no'. I love you all, but I need to be out more and in less...

So watch out for a new thread, for all those souls, who , like me, would like a bit of encouragement to 'Step away from the PC' and stop 'chasing the rabbit'.

lol, that expression so makes me think of chasing the dragon when you think about it, they are both very addictive pastimes - though I must admit I don't know about chasing dragons from experience (I can only imagine). However if anyone wants a dissitation on what it's like chasing rabbits, well,

How long have you got ?

Peace n Love

K
Old 09-22-2009, 10:27 PM   #25
artvision
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudra View Post

Love always
mudra
Thanx Mudra for pics. I wish I had a cat as those. Also Burgundia's cat look very smart.

I would love to have a cat like Maru:

artvision is offline   Reply With Quote