Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Global Ground Crew Networking > United States

Notices

Old 10-07-2008, 01:51 PM   #51
NewParadigmGuy
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: All Things NewEngland....redux

I was surprised when I mentioned the Free State Project at the meeting and nobody had heard of it. The Free State Project is a collective effort to convince 20,000 liberty activists to move to New Hampshire and work toward reducing the size and scope of government. Check it out:

http://freestateproject.org/

So far about 8700 people have signed up for the project and almost 600 have already moved here. I have met some of these people and find that we have much in common. They are free thinkers, and while most of them have probably not gone as far down the conspiracy rabbit hole as most in this forum have, they would certainly make good allies and neighbors.

Even in their relatively small numbers so far they are definitely having an effect upon the political and even social situation here. They have moved to all areas of the state, but they seem to be concentrating somewhat more heavily in the Manchester and Keene areas, and they have also started an unusual sort of intentional community in the tiny western NH town of Grafton.

They chose Grafton because many of the people there in Grafton already share the Free Stater's libertarian leanings, and they are simply moving there in ever increasing numbers. Their idea is to be enough of a voting block to help maintain the "small government" "hands off" attitude of the town government.

The intentional community aspect is different from many intentional communities because it does not necessarily include sharing land or co-housing. Of course it could include those things if people desired them. But they are mostly just finding places they like in Grafton and moving there. One guy bought a large parcel of land, subdivided it, and is selling building lots to other project members. So they end up with like-minded neighbors. A local barter economy has even started to develop using silver coins.

Last edited by NewParadigmGuy; 10-07-2008 at 03:27 PM.
NewParadigmGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:28 PM   #52
GregorArturo
Avalon Senior Member

NewParadigmGuy, thanks for the link! Definetly helps clarify it slightly better, along with the whole article. It said though just Maine, and not Northern Maine, which I wanted to make sure of, cause well Maine is an absolutely huge place as we all know.

I will state here that my intuition for a fair share amount of time has been telling me the mountains of Maine for a long time, in that any other alternative I would refuse to even consider (I'm not open minded to other ideas, I just trust my intuition).

As I pointed out though, my whole life I've been going to the Newry, Maine area (Sunday River) and very familiar with the area in general. Not to mention it is a gold mine (well not that type of mine) of minerals, specifically quartz based minerals like Amethyst and Tourmaline. There is a valley just north of Newry along the NH border that is completely uninhabited. Main reason it is a major watershed for Maine/NH, so only logging is allowed in the area. At least that's what I heard. It is the Grafton Notch area if any of you are familiar with it.

There is also Franklin County which borders Oxford County (Newy is in the northern tip of this county). Franklin County is where William Reich had his laboratory in the Rangeley Lakes region, and he himself witnessed UFOs in the area, and also borders Canada, which you could say is just a comforting feeling. The three areas that I am considering at the moment if you want to assist me in research of the area are these two counties, and Baxter State Park in Maine. This of coarse includes the idea of land ownership which is a tough idea to riddle through, as in may it not matter in times to come, especially in an extremely remote area such as Baxter State Park.

Here are some factors we should consider on potential areas for relocation:
1. Indigenous Myths - Abenaki and Penobscot
2. UFO sightings throughout history, areas of known paranormal activity
3. Geographic Practicality - Rivers/lakes, distance from society, terrain
4. Resource Availability in the region - Minerals, native edibles/animals
5. Your gut intuition

An idea we did express at the meeting about is relocating to a temporary area where one of us do have land already. Ideas of Keene, NH and Rockland, Maine were mentioned. Rockland however is smack dab on the coast. I believe it was NewParadigmGuy who said his family owned 2 acres of unused woods there.

The idea being it may be a staging point for us for times to come as all of us are fairly on board with the ideas that the coasts are not safe in times to come. We would then move into the mountains then on when we feel the time is right.

A point to make about Maine (but technically begins with Cape Cod going up to Nova Scotia), is the relatively large size of the continental shelf, aprox. 250 miles, while the average shelf tends to be 10-20 miles. This makes Maine very safe from the improbable (IMO) event of a tsuamni doing a significant devastation as the tidal wave has time to weaken over the shelf (the shelf is what causes the wave to raise in height as the wave in the ocean is compressed suddenly at the shelf).

Another interesting side note, the Appalachians are the oldest mountain range on the planet. So, Mt. Washington and Mt. Katahdin are the oldest mountains of their significant size on the planet.

Question, does anyone have farm animals by chance because sadly you can't get them in that lovely easily portable seed form?
GregorArturo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:41 PM   #53
Hightower_X
Avalon Senior Member

Glad to see it went well!
Hightower_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:23 PM   #54
FractalCatalyst
Avalon Senior Member

Location: Maine, USA, Sol-3, Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster, Universe A

Portlanders, how about another meetup next Wednesday Oct 15? A few places come to mind...

Three Dollar Deweys on the corner of Commercial and Union is typically quiet on Wednesday nights unless the Sox are playing. They have large booths if there's only 6 or fewer of us, long picnic-style tables for more, and free popcorn for all. They have good burgers and fine veg selections.

Also in the Old Port would be Amigos which is an excellent dive bar with big booths downstairs and plenty of seating upstairs where decent Mexican is served along with cheap pitchers of PBR and Dos Equis if you swing that way.

Flatbread would also be a good choice due to their food quality and local-ness philosophies...

Thoughts?
FractalCatalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:47 PM   #55
Irving
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FractalCatalyst View Post
Portlanders, how about another meetup next Wednesday Oct 15? A few places come to mind...

Three Dollar Deweys on the corner of Commercial and Union is typically quiet on Wednesday nights unless the Sox are playing. They have large booths if there's only 6 or fewer of us, long picnic-style tables for more, and free popcorn for all. They have good burgers and fine veg selections.

Also in the Old Port would be Amigos which is an excellent dive bar with big booths downstairs and plenty of seating upstairs where decent Mexican is served along with cheap pitchers of PBR and Dos Equis if you swing that way.

Flatbread would also be a good choice due to their food quality and local-ness philosophies...

Thoughts?
I would definitely grab a beer and a bite to eat with you. I am a Portland local as is GregorArturo. I'm always excited to meet people who realize that big things are happening and that time is of the essence. Why don't we meet sooner than the 15th, the economy is in a downwards spiral that makes it difficult to judge how soon a crash will occur. How about Sunday the 12th?
Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:02 AM   #56
NewParadigmGuy
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregorArturo View Post
It said though just Maine, and not Northern Maine, which I wanted to make sure of, cause well Maine is an absolutely huge place as we all know.
The context of his sentence is sort of hard to figure out, with the dash, but I read it as the mountains of Maine. Here's what he wrote:

"Yet, in parts of the mountains in states such as NM, CO, UT - Yukon and Maine and Northern Canada life will go on..."

Quote:
Here are some factors we should consider on potential areas for relocation:
1. Indigenous Myths - Abenaki and Penobscot
2. UFO sightings throughout history, areas of known paranormal activity
3. Geographic Practicality - Rivers/lakes, distance from society, terrain
4. Resource Availability in the region - Minerals, native edibles/animals
5. Your gut intuition
I'd put good cropland at the top of the list. I own 30 acres in Nottingham, NH but the soil is terrible so I have pretty much ruled out trying to homestead there (after trying, with very little success, to grow a variety of plants there). Oddly enough, when I lived in Manchester years ago I had fabulous soil even on the small city lot. I could grow all kinds of stuff with ease there and had a great garden. Soil makes all the difference.

Quote:
An idea we did express at the meeting about is relocating to a temporary area where one of us do have land already. Ideas of Keene, NH and Rockland, Maine were mentioned. Rockland however is smack dab on the coast. I believe it was NewParadigmGuy who said his family owned 2 acres of unused woods there.
No, it wasn't me, I think it was Dr Tony but I could be mistaken.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:43 AM   #57
GregorArturo
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewParadigmGuy View Post
I'd put good cropland at the top of the list. I own 30 acres in Nottingham, NH but the soil is terrible so I have pretty much ruled out trying to homestead there (after trying, with very little success, to grow a variety of plants there). Oddly enough, when I lived in Manchester years ago I had fabulous soil even on the small city lot. I could grow all kinds of stuff with ease there and had a great garden. Soil makes all the difference.
30 acres is alot of land in my opinion to where there's a chance there may be some usable soil to some extent, just making a note of it. I do wildlife photography and can cover a decent amount of terrain in a day's work, never even close to 30 acres, and the amount of habitat varies to an extreme amount (this would def relate to soil differences). This would be based most on my experience with Maine, but also with out West and Florida. 30 acres, there's some usuable soil somewhere. Water source is a big help and type of flora growing. Land that's been previously cleared could be old in that it was once farmed in the past. Clearing portions of woods could indeed bring some healthy soil. Trees are living in them, and have been dying in them. Just something to think about it NPG.

----------

I'm down for meeting up this weekend. Sunday sounds good for me. Good place I know and usually go (not as of lately, bars are a bore at the moment) is Slainte on Preble St. I'll be honest and I don't even stray near the Old Port anymore. Horrible vibes there. I tend to stick to the art district.

I'd be more interested in meeting in a coffee shop during the weekday, late afternoon/early evening, if anything.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:46 AM   #58
NewParadigmGuy
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
30 acres is alot of land in my opinion to where there's a chance there may be some usable soil to some extent, just making a note of it. I do wildlife photography and can cover a decent amount of terrain in a day's work, never even close to 30 acres, and the amount of habitat varies to an extreme amount (this would def relate to soil differences). This would be based most on my experience with Maine, but also with out West and Florida. 30 acres, there's some usuable soil somewhere. Water source is a big help and type of flora growing. Land that's been previously cleared could be old in that it was once farmed in the past. Clearing portions of woods could indeed bring some healthy soil. Trees are living in them, and have been dying in them. Just something to think about it NPG.
I've owned the lot for 10 years and have walked virtually all of it. The soil really is poor & was never farmed - there are rocks and boulders through the whole thing and no stone walls at all. The USGS quadrangle map & booklet for the area actually says that this quadrangle is the rockiest one in New England!

The only thing I have had any luck with is some nut trees and even those have matured very slowly. I do have a nice, but very small vegetable garden because I have imported or manufactured (through composting) all of the topsoil. Yes, the land could be homesteaded (though building is illegal there due to town regulations) but it would be so much effort that there is really not much point. Also it is only 300 - 400 feet above sea level and too close to the ocean for me to feel comfortable with. So at this point I plan to just harvest some nuts and firewood from it but live and homestead somewhere else. A single acre of good land (like the kind I had in Manchester) would be much easier to deal with and productive!
Old 10-08-2008, 03:22 AM   #59
DoctorTony
Avalon Senior Member

NPG & Gregor

Yes, my parents own two acres of untouched land in Warren (I think it's Rockland county). I am encouraging them to sell it and buy land more inland (Northwest). Who knows if they'll heed.
I would love to go to NH though. I am already connected there. I have a chiro license and have a few friends in Manchester.

Tony
DoctorTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:03 PM   #60
FractalCatalyst
Avalon Senior Member

Location: Maine, USA, Sol-3, Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster, Universe A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irving View Post
Why don't we meet sooner than the 15th, the economy is in a downwards spiral that makes it difficult to judge how soon a crash will occur. How about Sunday the 12th?
I can't do weekends for the time being, so weekday evenings from Monday to Thursday are the limits of my meetup availability at the moment.

If you want to meet sooner, how about Monday the 13th? That's fine with me.

You know what, if the economy should crash this week to the extent that it becomes difficult to meet for calm discussion next week, then we'll just have to meet anyway, circumstances be damned, for less-calm discussion about A) not panicking, and B) what, if anything, we should be doing differently as a result.

The PTB have shown us the value of contingency planning to the Nth degree when you have a virtually unlimited budget, but the rest of us just have to stay in the flow and make the right decisions at the time with the best information that we have. So far we have self-styled whistleblowers confirmed by supposed channelers and by adherence to prevalent conspiracy lore stating the nearly-obvious (at least about the economy). I can see as plain as day we're on the brink of collapse, but the criminals in suits, bless em, are going to do everything they can to preserve like a mummy our debt-based way of life as long as they possibly can. To them, indefinitely.

In the meantime, I don't know what I could reasonably do differently to prepare. We're all keeping our money out of the banks as best we can and always building intentional community e.g. skilled and resourceful social networks, so I think we're right on time and have nothing to worry about. It's not like we're going to find what looks like safe shelter and build off the grid before next Wednesday, right?

I haven't watched Zeitgeist Addendum yet, but based on everyone's recommendations here on PA I'm excited to watch it ASAP. Have you guys seen it yet? If not, shall we call it homework before our next meeting so we have something really positive (from the sounds of it) to talk about amidst the hand-wringing?

Peace
Old 10-08-2008, 02:44 PM   #61
FractalCatalyst
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
If you want to meet sooner, how about Monday the 13th?
Actually, would anyone be interested in meeting up tomorrow night in the Deering area to watch Zeitgeist Addendum with me? PM me if interested.

If so, I would want to start it by 7:30 or so. Thinking maybe ordering a pizza or some such -- several food options nearby.

Peace
Old 10-08-2008, 06:48 PM   #62
GregorArturo
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Actually, would anyone be interested in meeting up tomorrow night in the Deering area to watch Zeitgeist Addendum with me? PM me if interested.

If so, I would want to start it by 7:30 or so. Thinking maybe ordering a pizza or some such -- several food options nearby.

Peace
Sounds good to me, I'm out of class at 2:30 and have the weekend free from there. I'll PM you my number. I may bring along a friend, as I have a feeling Irving may too. Irving, regardless of your voice, you should def come too. Your presence alone will be appreciated
Old 10-08-2008, 07:52 PM   #63
FractalCatalyst
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
I may bring along a friend, as I have a feeling Irving may too. Irving, regardless of your voice, you should def come too. Your presence alone will be appreciated
Cool, that's about the capacity of my smallish living room. Any more than 6 people (including myself) and we'd need a change of venue. I was thinking of inviting one or two friends myself, so PM me Irving if you can make it.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:44 AM   #64
unloadedgunn
Avalon Senior Member

I posted this yesterday, and want to put it here as well. I have reservations about putting this in an open forum full of strangers, but... the time for rumination is over, I think for all of us. We need to stand together and weather this storm. I don't care if it is political, financial, or environmental, there is strength in numbers. Peace Out.

Hey Everybody...

The info and advice available here have been great. I am also glad to see that some of you have taken it past the talking stage and actually met in person. I am ready for ACTION as well. I would like to put out there in cyberland that I would like to host a meeting here on my farm in the Connecticut River Valley. I am a few seconds away from New Hampshire in the little town of Westminster Station, Vermont. I have heard some folks talking of a preliminary move perhaps to the Keene, NH area, before a final excursion into the woods.

With 11 acres (5 certified organic), a huge barn to store lumber/supplies, the possibility to have a root cellar,a vacant 1 BR apartment, an unfinished efficiency apt, fruit trees, bee hives, and much more to offer, I feel this place could be a great springboard for the right person/people.

It has always been my intention to have a very small and loose knit intentional community right here, but new developments have changed my mind, but...I think it might be a great place to gather. Just a thought. Anybody interested post to this thread and let the dialog begin!
unloadedgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 06:30 AM   #65
celestine420
Avalon Senior Member

unloadedgunn;

Sounds ideal..............I suggest we do it soon and do it big

what better way to get to know eachother than a BARN PARTY
celestine420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:46 PM   #66
unloadedgunn
Avalon Senior Member

I'm gone for the day, but I would suggest some dialog here to come up with a day/time that works for most people. Let's do this thing!
Old 10-10-2008, 01:24 PM   #67
unloadedgunn
Avalon Senior Member

I would like to get together on the 25th of this month. Everyone within driving distance to southern Vermont (this varies for everyone) is invited. There is plenty of parking, and hopefully the weather will be great. If you could bring a dish it would be nice, that way we can spend more time in discussion and less cooking, but if this is not possible come anyway! Beverages and snacks will be provided.

Anyone reading this is welcome to post it in any thread they feel is appropriate. I want to reach as many people as possible.

Peace Out!
Old 10-10-2008, 02:21 PM   #68
Kusala
Avalon Senior Member

Hey ULG and the NE Ground Crew!

I'm down with the 25th. ULG, I sent you a PM this morning. If this date works for the Crew and you need help prior to the gathering let me know. I could (and most likely will) come a bit early.

Courage. Remember what we have been and are preparing for.

Peace,
Kusala
Kusala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 03:53 PM   #69
sylph16
Avalon Senior Member

Hiya Celestine420

My mate and I live in CT and your ground crew seems the be the closest to us.

It seems the the NE is almost barren when it comes to awakened souls, so we are desperate to find people to communicate with...so in other words we are glad we found YOU and the others!

We will be watching your posts in the future and hope to meet with the NE ground crew soon

Peace

sylph
sylph16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 04:06 PM   #70
Elizabeth Powell
Avalon Senior Member

I've seen DEER HERDing done here. (amazing they don't jump the fence even tho there's really nothing stopping them ... kinda like us)
Elizabeth Powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:39 PM   #71
GregorArturo
Avalon Senior Member

There's fractal, Irving, and I here in Portland. I'd most likely be able to attend, only issue is a ride. Irving is the only one of us with a ride, so it would be his call. I am pretty sure he works saturdays though until three.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:27 PM   #72
unloadedgunn
Avalon Senior Member

It would be great if Irving could get the day off (work till noon maybe). I have set aside the 25th and come hell or high water...and let's face it BOTH are possibilities

I hope to see as many people as possible. To get some help setting up, though not necessary, would be great! I have to leave now, and will be gone for about 4 hours. I"ll check in when I get back home. Please, please, please, get word out to as many folks as you can. Time is ticking away.

Peace out!
Old 10-10-2008, 10:31 PM   #73
unloadedgunn
Avalon Senior Member

I just had a thought. I have plenty of tent space around here, and for those folks coming a long distance, this might be an option. I know it's chilly at night, but there's no better time to practice life in the wilderness than the present.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:13 AM   #74
Irving
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unloadedgunn View Post
I just had a thought. I have plenty of tent space around here, and for those folks coming a long distance, this might be an option. I know it's chilly at night, but there's no better time to practice life in the wilderness than the present.
I couldn't be more down. The hell with work. I like your attitude and your enthusiasm to get a large group of us together. I've always been theorizing a situation where somehow all of the "awakened" people in the world all buy a huge chunk of land together and set up shop and get to being creative. What is the largest possible chunk of land that could be bought? It could almost be like a new country, perhaps we could even declare our independence from all other countries. We could band together with the Ron Paul revolutionaries as well. Could thousands of people organize such a thing together? haha I love to think about it.

Anyway, I love your idea and I'm there. Could you PM me the town or address or whatever information you would like to give me? Thanks.

Last edited by Irving; 10-11-2008 at 01:18 AM.
Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 03:21 AM   #75
MarkM

Wow. How strange (and great) to be on a Forum where familiar names are mentioned! I live in Saco, about 20 minutes to Portland. I'm still getting a handle on where posts are in the threads.

I'm recovering from a health issue at the moment, hopefully turned the corner, and would very much enjoy sharing thoughts and experiences with you all. If you decide to go ahead with the meet on the 25th please email or PM me.

Thank you!
Mark

PS - You're right, now IS the time to step forward.