Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > What’s Going Down > What Does It Mean ?

Notices

What Does It Mean ? What does this all mean for the Ground Crew ?

Old 12-09-2008, 12:35 PM   #1
Antaletriangle
Avalon Senior Member

Default Pensioner fined for littering by police.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...oplifters.html
Beautiful Britain!!Land of the free.
A grandfather was left humiliated after being handed a £60 litter fine when his cigarette was knocked out of his hand as he walked past a scuffle between police and shoplifters.
Lazaris Michael, 76, had taken a single puff before his smoke was sent flying as officers apprehended two girls who were trying to flee a branch of Boots.
But the pensioner did not have time to bend down and pick it up before a council warden pounced on him and hit him the fixed penalty for littering in front of a large crowd.
When he begged the council to show common sense and drop the case they responded by threatening him with an even bigger fine if he does not pay up.
Mr Michael, a retired restaurateur from Margate, Kent, said: 'I am well known by the residents of this town and this was utterly embarrassing.
'I've been shopping on this street for half a century and this has never happened before. I never drop litter.
'I was on my way to pick up a prescription for my wife when two policemen were apprehending two girls and bringing them out of the shop.
'This was causing people to crowd round and in the bustle someone pushed into me and I dropped my cigarette.
'I wasn't littering - it was a full cigarette. But before I had a chance to pick it up the warden had come up to me and asked me to come with him.
'I didn't know what he wanted so I went to talk to him. He gave me the fine and didn't give me a chance to explain.
'If he hadn't come over to talk to me I would have bent down and picked it up without giving another thought.
'I wouldn't waste a full cigarette.'

Mr Michael, who has three grandchildren, said the worst thing about the incident last week was that many in the crowd wrongly believed that he was involved in the shoplifting.

He has since written to the council asking them to investigate the case, which he says was the result of an 'over zealous' council warden.
But he has been told the fee will be increased to £80 if he does not pay up.
Thanet Council's environment chief Shirley Tomlinson said: 'We are happy with the process that has been followed.
'Thanet Council's campaign warns people the council will take a zero tolerance approach to anyone who drops litter, including cigarette butts and chewing gum.
'If spotted, no excuses will be accepted. You will be handed a fine.
'It is therefore important to dispose of any litter in the right way.
'Our wardens have been doing what they have been instructed to do and we cannot make any allowances.'

Councils across Britain were given powers to issue fines for littering in 2006.
Since then 'offenders' have included an 11-year-old boy fined when an apple core fell out of his pocket, an apprentice gas fitter who poured a bucket of soapy water down a drain and a couple who dropped a handful of seed to feed birds.
Schoolgirl Sorrell Walsh from Stalybridge in Greater Manchester was handed a £75 fine for leaving a wooden ice cream stick on a wall in 2006.

Mother- of- three Hilary Buckland, 46, was fined £75 by Luton Borough Council after she threw a Wotsit crisp out of her car.
Antaletriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 01:17 PM   #2
Colin

Default Re: Pensioner fined for littering by police.

Jobsworth's..

Dont you just love 'em

This time last year I was in the local high street shopping with the wife when I saw a Traffic Warden giving a ticket to a Securicor van parked outside a bank!

The guard was actually carrying cash boxes into the bank at the time! As I passed the Traffic Warden I expressed my disgust with him (not very politely either) and he threatened to call the police! My wife dragged me off before I lost it with the muppet..!

Last edited by Colin; 12-09-2008 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:47 PM   #3
Steve_A
Project Avalon Moderator

Hi Antaletriangle,

It seems that smoking really can be bad for you.

This makes us moderators on this forum appear like saints.

Best regards,

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaletriangle View Post
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...oplifters.html
Beautiful Britain!!Land of the free.
A grandfather was left humiliated after being handed a £60 litter fine when his cigarette was knocked out of his hand as he walked past a scuffle between police and shoplifters.
Steve_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:27 PM   #4
Harper
Avalon Senior Member

So last year thinking I was doing the right thing, I put out my cigarette in a hurry before entering the borough market, as I was trying to keep up with my colleague we were both late for a meeting. Not good I know but I usually take great pains to find a bin (in itself not an easy task in europe because of bombs they are very few and far between these days)

Then a woman ran screaming after me to 'halt' I'm not joking. She produced some sort of badge and read me an act really angrily and loudly. I said I was sorry and as a visitor to this country was not aware of the 'new law'. She then told me I could pay 60£ on the spot or 1000£ if I chose to pay later.

Just to be difficult (can't get the post-colonial Irish out of me) I rattled off my address in Paris really quickly in a french accent. Then she looked very confused and asked where I was staying in london, said I was on a day trip, only a little fib I thought :-) Then she asked for a friends or colleague or my boss's address in london. I told her I didn't think the british government could fine me by proxy, by sending the fine to a friend. More confusion arose on her ever redding face, think it was the word proxy, but anyway she wrote up the slip and I took it and walked off. When I looked at the paper as I was walking the description of my crime was, and you just couldn't make this stuff up 'depositing her butt in puddle'.

And they want to arm these people....................
Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:37 PM   #5
Colin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_A View Post
Hi Antaletriangle,

It seems that smoking really can be bad for you.

This makes us moderators on this forum appear like saints.
Sorry Steve, but your post is blatant
That's a £60 fine
Old 12-09-2008, 03:14 PM   #6
AndyH
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper View Post

And they want to arm these people....................
People isn't the right word, it would imply they're actually human beings. These things have no soul.
AndyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:19 PM   #7
Steve_A
Project Avalon Moderator

Hi AndyH,

Don't worry too much about it. Over there in ireland you ave your souls and in the UK we have oursouls. Think about it.

@ colin: I know. There's nothing like self promotion.

Best regards,

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyH View Post
People isn't the right word, it would imply they're actually human beings. These things have no soul.
Steve_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:13 PM   #8
Antaletriangle
Avalon Senior Member

Yeah it's absolutely crazy this power thing that these idiots crave for-why,oh why?-just beyond me!! Harper-A woman running up to you with a badge trying to punish you for extinguishing a ciggie-i wish they would do something better with their time.If she'd tried that on the Gaza strip i think she'd think twice!!lol.Tiny people i hate to say-i know we're all equal but there's a majority out there who think differently,desperate times!
Old 12-09-2008, 04:28 PM   #9
Jacqui D
Avalon Senior Member

Only a few weeks ago a young mum was pushing her toddler home from the shops when the child dropped a sausage roll, not even a whole one but a piece of it, the mum was given a fine on the spot and had to report to court because she refused to pay, i ask you!
She said it was a matter of moments before a pigeon actualy swooped down and devoured the piece the child dropped.
So what's the problem i say!
These people (well i say people more like robotic slaves to their jobs) are becoming part of big brother agenda.
What are our children growing up into, i fear for the future and the hold it will have upon everyone.
Is the world going mad? YES!!
Jacqui D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:02 PM   #10
Antaletriangle
Avalon Senior Member

Absolutely and just thinking about it fires me right up!!The slave/robot nonthinkers are one of the main problems i fear-they have an inability to see outside of their own fear zone.If these things happened to them how would they react?-Interesting.