Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Camelot Forum > Project Camelot > Off-Topic

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you leaving after the Forum becomes a Paid Subscription?
I am leaving if Avalon is a Paid Subscription. 266 75.78%
I am not leaving. 85 24.22%
Voters: 351. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-02-2008, 07:22 PM   #1
Suriel

Wink Will you leave if the forum is a Paid Subscription?

Also, let us know if you plan on staying if the forum becomes a paid subscription forum.
This poll will help us understand how a paid subscription service
will affect the Avalon forum.

Thanks,
Kevin - Project Avalon Spiritual Mediator

Last edited by Suriel; 11-02-2008 at 07:44 PM. Reason: made it an if question instead just to get a response
Old 11-02-2008, 07:24 PM   #2
alternative-answer
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Will you leave when the forum is a Paid Subscription?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Also, let us know if you plan on staying after the forum becomes a paid subscription forum.
Why make it subscription, surely knowledge should pass freely?
alternative-answer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:57 PM   #3
Artycarl
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Will you leave if the forum is a Paid Subscription?

I could afford to pay but out of principal for those who could not I would have to vote against subscriptions.

Would I leave? Great question but I cannot say.

If some other system of funding could be found hopefully we would never have to discriminate against people because of their inability to pay. This kind of information should be free to all.
Artycarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:02 PM   #4
Waterman
Avalon Senior Member

If there is an expense to hosting the forum. Then charge to offset the exspenses.

This is not about withholding information that is free via Camelot.

If people are actually interested in preparing, contacting folks, etc... it is worth it.
Waterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:04 PM   #5
borrasca2012
Avalon Senior Member

WE ALL would LEAVE and just open a NEW ONE
borrasca2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:04 PM   #6
Hypnotize
Avalon Senior Member

I am sorry to say that i would leave if/when avalon becomes a pay site, I see no point in paying for info i can just as easily get for free.
Hypnotize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:10 PM   #7
deb003
Avalon Senior Member

I love Project Avalon. I have awoken SO SO much and learned so much. Unfortunately, I have to feed my child before paying for any forum/website and I think it will make allot of people leave, newcomers who don't know what this is about wouldn't even enter, and you might lose over 50% of the people who aready come here..
I would sadly have to leave too.
deb003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:10 PM   #8
Hypnotize
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by borrasca2012 View Post
WE ALL would LEAVE and just open a NEW ONE
I agree. it's not hard to create a website and this forum is run off a basic template, so the only money it would cost to run this site is paying for server space or buying your own server. with that said if the majority of the people on this site payed a fee even a small one it would be way more than enough to keep the site going.
Hypnotize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:12 PM   #9
Antonia
Avalon Senior Member

I think I might have to...I don't have a credit card.... I have a debit card only and anything else thats payable on line normaly doesn't accept a debit card? What playment method would you be using? In princepal I think it's bettter as a free forum but if you need to cover running costs I understand
Antonia
Antonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:10 PM   #10
Suriel

Wink Re: Will you leave if the forum is a Paid Subscription?

According to this poll, it looks like that many members may leave the forum. Please continue the poll. And tell us why you think Avalon should be free.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:15 PM   #11
2infinityandbeyond
Avalon Senior Member

I wouldnt leave, in fact it would give me more of an incentive to stay.

Being an open forum, anyone no matter who they are can come on and post. Now there are people out there who get a kick out of making waves, this is just a fact.

This forum has a specific mission, and if anyone feels dedicated enough to be part of this mission then surely they can prove this by paying a small fee to be a part of it. Its not so much about the money more then how serious people are taking this place.

These are serious times after all.
2infinityandbeyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:17 PM   #12
Shadowstalker
Avalon Senior Member

i love these forums, I am on every day ... but i don't even have enough money to pay attention half the time let alone pay extra to be on a forum

I think it would be rather unfair to the ones on a bigtime budget
Why I think it should be free? well i think if any info where to be given it should be given to all. I could somewhat understand if it where a book and need the money and i am sure that P.C. needs the money, but what of the folks who are loyal to these boadrs and have no money to give.

Last edited by Shadowstalker; 11-02-2008 at 09:21 PM.
Shadowstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:18 PM   #13
Elephant Man
Avalon Senior Member

This is a tough one. Paying for it would probably keep the dis information out, but also potential new members. I would pay a sub, but not until the forum settles and "finds" itself. I feel that there are intentional dis informers, but this is due to the fact that most of the people in here are very aware and have pretty awesome info to share, if it was irellevant, then the wreckers wouldnt bother. I (like many) have been interested in an alternative way of life since I was a child, but man I've learned some amazing stuff in here, not least about myself. I thank you all
Elephant Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:20 PM   #14
pineal-pilot-in merkabah
Avalon Senior Member

i have paid a donation to cameloit paypal. i put anote saying could it be earmarked for avalon.. im assuming there is a running cost for this site. those who say they would leave the site can they afford to open another one?? id pay but i think that paypal will go bust. means of money transfer online will implode when the baks implode.. internet 2 will see sites like this with alternate political veiws banned.. ill donate to camelot while we still have the internet in its current form. i think it will be gone in 6 months and internet 2 will be in its place.. anyone else have more info?? id say strike whilst thge iron is hot and use it while we go it..
pineal-pilot-in merkabah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:22 PM   #15
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Will you leave when the forum is a Paid Subscription?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternative-answer View Post
Why make it subscription, surely knowledge should pass freely?
If there was a Paypal link, I'm sure that people may be willing to donate a bit of money towards maintaining the forums and the main websites.

I think this may work better than a paid subscription service. I'm not sure it's worth paying to access this forum right now with the negativity in certain areas.
Humble Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:24 PM   #16
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
According to this poll, it looks like that many members may leave the forum. Please continue the poll. And tell us why you think Avalon should be free.
It should be free but with the ability for individuals to donate money via Paypal for operating expenses.

Again, unless the content approves, I don't think it would make sense to charge money for people to view.
Humble Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:36 PM   #17
Banned

Thumbs down Re: Will you leave if the forum is a Paid Subscription?

I'd probably leave as the only 'extra' I can pay for at this time is internet.

If I could, I probably still wouldn't.... I support the cause, but I try not to pay for what I can get/do on my own for free, in general. If I could afford it, I would definetly however make a donation.

But my biggest concern if this were to become a paid forum and as a result membership went waayy down- a lot of junk and disinfo might be filtered out but the forum could begin to operate within a vacuum. There's a thin line between being tight-knit and living in a bubble. But that problem would be a ways down the road if it were in fact to occur.

Diversity is important, for better or worse... and very many people have undoubtedly began to 'wake up' as a result of PC and this forum is a continuation of that.

If costs need to be covered then I totally understand, if I cannot participate any longer than I am grateful for what I have learned so far on this forum.

Last edited by 371; 11-02-2008 at 09:41 PM.
371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:39 PM   #18
Brinty
Avalon Senior Member

Provided the cost wasn't beyond my means, I wouldn't leave. The best things in life are free - but maybe the vital things might cost a smidgen. I obviously can't speak for anyone else, but I'd be prepared to pay a little more to subsidise those who could't afford the price.

Has any thought been given to merchandizing? How much would members be prepared to pay for products like say, baseball caps, coffee mugs, pens and so on, with the Avalon or Camelot name and logo printed on them?
Brinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:41 PM   #19
2infinityandbeyond
Avalon Senior Member

I'm not sure if im alone on this one, but this forum is absolutely full of fluff. Maybe 10percent of the posts here are anything i would call usefull. Its the same kinda stuff that goes on in other forums, they post loads and loads of fluff so that you gotta really dig to get to the good stuff. A good example of this in full swing is Godlikeproudctions forum.

Cencsorship sucks big time, but lies and disinformation should be censored. People should only be allowed to post truth and that which is deemed benificial, i know this seems like a constricting idea but think about it. If there was only truth and constructive material posted then we would be going in a truthfull positive direction. Right now avalon is stalled.
2infinityandbeyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:50 PM   #20
dataeast
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
I think there are other avenues that can be explored to generate some income for the site to cover costs. I'm all for win/win situations. I'm not against advertising if it works for the equality of the community.

I think it would be too disruptive, I've seen other forums self destruct when there are closed sections which stagnate and the flow is inward only. It creates secrecy (PC <---> PA) and inevitably elitism which would be, in my thinking, the opposite of what Avalon is trying to achieve.

I think it would be a measure of goodwill for Avalon to be free and also put to rest the concern that there was some hidden agenda, not that I believe that to be true.

Also it might be a reason that participation might have slowed--people realized that the forum would become off limits--so stopped visiting because it's future wasn't one where they were included.
dataeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:55 PM   #21
Operator
Avalon Senior Member

Hi,

Experience tells me that things go wrong when money gets involved.
I am sure costs are there and real, it will be difficult however to spread it equally over all members (there are so many).

Maybe I am too optimistic about this but ...
How about posting which costs are there to cover and let members decide freely to donate to see for themselves their
responsibility to keep this operation going ?

So show which amount is short for which date, or which extension is required and leave members responsible to meet
the resulting financial requirements.

Cheers
Operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:56 PM   #22
Bobcat
Avalon Senior Member

I'll be gone!!!
Bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:56 PM   #23
Antaletriangle
Avalon Senior Member

Bringing money into the situation; not here surely!-it's everywhere else and we talk about communities and alternative currency ,helping each other then this is proposed-i would give something to the forum in help like images/photos etc. but currency, finance??I'm a little confused now.I am a giver but i don't understand what is required here,i don't use credit cards for starters-i'm out of that race.

Last edited by Antaletriangle; 11-02-2008 at 09:59 PM.
Antaletriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:00 PM   #24
HOPEFUL
Banned

Last edited by HOPEFUL; 12-15-2009 at 02:47 PM.
HOPEFUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:07 PM   #25
munkey
Avalon Senior Member

Location: just outside the box next to the box you where thinking outside of

I would be personally against a fee, why would I give money to put out some serious or vital information only to be drowned out by someone giving advice on how to hug a tree to make the bad men go away?

Paying a fee would mean that those with a more dark nature could flood the forum and spread all sorts of disinformation and you would be unable to counter their argument.
munkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forum, paid subscription