PDA

View Full Version : Nudity

Violet
27th September 2011, 14:16
With the sun coming out again, I was thinking: when did people come up with the idea of undressing themselves because of sunny weather? It also strikes me that women are somehow always more undressed than men in hot weather. Do they suffer more heat from sun than men?

I've tried to look around the world and back into time to find a clear answer but I see very contrasting things. On the one hand there are as-good-as naked bushmen in black Africa and on the other there's the fully clothed Toearegs and other desert cultures in unbearable heats in the desert.

I also wonder if the as-good-as naked bushmen wear more clothes when it gets colder or wet. So, it doesn't look to me that they are nude for sunny weather in the first place.

And going back into time, I could also not immediately find an answer as both the West and East were fully dressed during the entire Middle Ages for example. The Chinese with their long pompous sleeves, the Arabs with turbans/veils and long dresses, the French and neighbours with abundant dresses and corsets.

So, when did modern man start thinking: hey, it's hot, I'm going out in shorts/bikini/comparables and anything else is inhumane.

araucaria
27th September 2011, 15:35
Maybe a preference for white skin was handed down from the Nordic elites, who we are told had to be careful about not getting too much sunlight. Even the ordinary Brit will go a funny colour if the sun stays out for longer than usual, and maybe the habit spread with colonialism.

In art, the nude was handed down by the Greeks and Romans, who would be readier to strip off in their hot Mediterranean climates. It later became increasingly academic (i.e. the done thing without really knowing why), and in some cases saucier and saucier too. Until Manet came along and caused a scandal with The Luncheon on the Grass. Why is that woman naked? a) because she’s an artist’s model and b) because she’s meant to be drying off in the sunshine down by the river. And Olympia: why is that woman naked? a) because she’s an artist’s model and b) because she’s meant to be a tart. This was a major turning-point: naked nudity.

divine_moments_of_truth
27th September 2011, 15:54
I think the main reason is that we rely on Vitamin E from the sun and it feels very good to catch some rays. I also heard reptilians enjoy sunbathing too...

Shamz
27th September 2011, 16:00
I think the main reason is that we rely on Vitamin E from the sun and it feels very good to catch some rays. I also heard reptilians enjoy sunbathing too...

I think its Vitamin-D that we get from sun-bathing - Vit E protects from harmful UV rays - thats what some research found out.

The One
27th September 2011, 16:07
Hey i am semi naked now as i write this

I always walk around the house without no top on

love it

Peace of Mind
27th September 2011, 16:07
Maybe it’s their higher self telling them to do so…after all we are made from star dust. The Human body is a magnificent work of art and ingenuity, especially the woman’s body. We need the sun to survive. We feel sluggish and/or dispirited when there’s an overcast lasting longer than a few days. As with other animals of the planet, nudity is normal. When time passed, corruption set in and ego and self esteem issues rose. Love started dwindling away while false identities festered. Today, you can witness the lack of love (for self) by observing the extremes people go through to look quote-unquote “presentable”. The false feeling of importance through materialism, the need to have high end clothing and devices that really offer nothing but a famous name, cosmetics and plastic surgery for those that are not satisfied with their natural beauty. Standards on what beauty truly is seem to be made by followers and ego maniacs.

Excuse my wordy response, but detail maybe needed for clarity. I don’t think humans need to be running around in the nude…but when we do dress up; the cloths we throw on should only be looked at as protection from the elements. Also, if you do some deeper research you will find that many Africans believe the sun provides them with special energy. This energy is absorbed through the living molecule called “Melanin”. (Check my thread “Melanin” for more details) http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?919-Melanin

The study goes all the way back to ancient Kamet/the Egyptians/and the Sumerians. The sun plays a big part in these cultures but most scientists’ today keep that discovery relatively quiet...why? who really knows... It’s a very deep subject and the average person may not be willing or honest enough to give it the proper research. Some Africans aren’t even privy to this information.

You wanted to know why some people get naked…maybe this post will give you some extra things to look into… evocative, maybe not, nevertheless there is enough data out there to consider and I'm sure the finds will be interesting to say the least.

Peace

HORIZONS
27th September 2011, 16:18
I started nude sunbathing a few years ago for no other reason than it just feels really good! Now I crave the sunshine (energy) on all parts of my body - it's a great feeling - spirit, soul and body - what can I say. I just came to a point where I felt this was something for me - that I needed to do - and I have a good place to do this - although I am not a nudist by any stretch.
But when I am out in the hot sun working I cover up - long pants, long sleeve shirt, head rap and a good hat (all light colored or white) this keeps me much cooler than less clothing does, as it reflects the suns radiation off of the skin keeping me cooler, and the wicking effect comes into play as well.
I think religious beliefs/training has somewhat to do with this issue as well - but some people just like to be nude, religious or not.

HORIZONS
27th September 2011, 16:21
Maybe it’s their higher self telling them to do so…after all we are made from star dust. The Human body is a magnificent work of art and ingenuity, especially the woman’s body. We need the sun to survive. We feel sluggish and/or dispirited when there’s an overcast lasting longer than a few days. As with other animals of the planet, nudity is normal. When time passed, corruption set in and ego and self esteem issues rose. Love started dwindling away while false identities festered. Today, you can witness the lack of love (for self) by observing the extremes people go through to look quote-unquote “presentable”. The false feeling of importance through materialism, the need to have high end clothing and devices that really offer nothing but a famous name, cosmetics and plastic surgery for those that are not satisfied with their natural beauty. Standards on what beauty truly is seem to be made by followers and ego maniacs.

Excuse my wordy response, but detail maybe needed for clarity. I don’t think humans need to be running around in the nude…but when we do dress up; the cloths we throw on should only be looked at as protection from the elements. Also, if you do some deeper research you will find that many Africans believe the sun provides them with special energy. This energy is absorbed through the living molecule called “Melanin”. (Check my thread “Melanin” for more details). The study goes all the way back to ancient Kamet/the Egyptians/and the Sumerians. The sun plays a big part in these cultures but most scientists’ today keep that discovery relatively quiet...why? who really knows... It’s a very deep subject and the average person may not be willing or honest enough to give it the proper research. Some Africans aren’t even privy to this information.

You wanted to know why some people get naked…maybe this post will give you some extra things to look into… evocative, maybe not, nevertheless there is enough data out there to consider and I'm sure the finds will be interesting to say the least.

Peace

Post the link - I would like to revisit that thread too.

blufire
27th September 2011, 16:25
Had to share . . . . as I was reading this thread I watched my twin (2 year old) grand daughters strip bare naked and run around the yard in the clear mountian sunshine, arms outstreched and laughing hysterically
Think I might join them ;)

Krullenjongen
27th September 2011, 17:09
Could it have something to do with the sexualisation (if that is even a word) of our society?
could it be a spinoff of the sexual revolution?
I don't know, but i have never seen bathing suits like nowadays

christian
27th September 2011, 17:42
Displaying skin was deemed offensive not too long ago, it's as simple as that. Nowadays it's ok and used to either cool down in the heat or to show off or to attract a desired mate, I figure. Anyways, if it's very hot and if I'd be out in the sun all day, I would do it like the Tuareg, how else could a sunburn be prevented? The bushmen have more trees to find some shadow, I guess.

During Akhenaten's reign in Egypt (1351–1334 BC) nudity was obligatory, for it symbolized utter truthfulness.

In the Digamabar tradition of Jainism (established more than 2000 years ago) monks are naked, there are still such monks in India today.

The athletes attending the Olympics in ancient Greece were nude.

Today nudism is practiced mostly in European countries, among them Germany, where around 1900 the first 'free body culture' club was founded. It is estimated that 7m out of 82m Germans practice it today. I am one of them. I like to feel the wind, sun and sometimes the rain without a layer of clothes inbetween me and the nature. And I'd feel sorry for my ass, if I'd keep him in the shadow all his life. I'm not ashamed, everyone is nude under the clothes, it's just a body, everyone has one. It's just what can be done with the body, that may be a reason for shame, by that I mean all kinds of immature behaviour, whether nude or clothed.

Madison Avenue style 'nudity' is not nudity, but rather teasing and showing off. By hiding virtually only the sex-organs, they are accentuated and this makes people think more about sex than if the last veil is actually lifted. In my experience, naturists are on average quite well educated and pretty comfortable and confident in their bodies, regardless of their actual body shape.

I think, if people around the world were nude more often, there'd be less wars! :)

-----

"What spirit is so empty and blind, that it cannot recognize the fact that the foot is more noble than the shoe, and skin more beautiful than the garment with which it is clothed?" - Michelangelo

mahalall
27th September 2011, 17:46
Recent increase in the cases of rickets is those parts of the world that enjoy greyness !(Northwest England)

" 90% of our vitamin D is made in the skin with the help of sunlight. A recent survey in the UK showed that more than half of the adult population in the UK has insufficient levels of vitamin D. In the winter and spring about 1 in 6 people has a severe deficiency. It is estimated that about 9 in 10 adults of South Asian origin may be vitamin D-deficient"

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Rickets/Pages/Introduction.aspx
http://www.patient.co.uk/health/vitamin-d-deficiency.htm

With this knowledge i have positively adopted the french approach off hanging loose in the sun shine. Although it does have a detrimental social side effect. One of my neighbours every time she sees me she runs in doors. "Victorian perspective of the body has a lot to answer for"

Violet
27th September 2011, 19:13
Maybe it’s their higher self telling them to do so…after all we are made from star dust. The Human body is a magnificent work of art and ingenuity, especially the woman’s body. We need the sun to survive. We feel sluggish and/or dispirited when there’s an overcast lasting longer than a few days. As with other animals of the planet, nudity is normal. When time passed, corruption set in and ego and self esteem issues rose. Love started dwindling away while false identities festered. Today, you can witness the lack of love (for self) by observing the extremes people go through to look quote-unquote “presentable”. The false feeling of importance through materialism, the need to have high end clothing and devices that really offer nothing but a famous name, cosmetics and plastic surgery for those that are not satisfied with their natural beauty.

Or rather the need to have a high-end body to display? It's more about the body here (not materialism) and whether there is a conscious correlation to the sensation of heat when going for lighter dress.

Different people have replied here - for which many thanks - and obviously there are so many reasons for taking off some clothes but heat seems to be the less frequent reason. Yet this is what we assume to be the reason on a sunny day.

Perhaps people are afraid to be associated with conservatism? I mean if you look at the landworkers in South America. They're all covered whilst working in the sun and they have these large sombreros, making their face disappear too. If you would ask these people how to protect oneself from the sun, they would probably not tell you to undress. But how many of us would actually take that advice and go out looking like a South American landworker or as a Tuareg?

Standards on what beauty truly is seem to be made by followers and ego maniacs.

Excuse my wordy response, but detail maybe needed for clarity. I don’t think humans need to be running around in the nude…but when we do dress up; the cloths we throw on should only be looked at as protection from the elements. Also, if you do some deeper research you will find that many Africans believe the sun provides them with special energy. This energy is absorbed through the living molecule called “Melanin”. (Check my thread “Melanin” for more details) http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?919-Melanin

Well, I would say that surprisingly enough clothes do not serve as a protection from elements during two particular seasons.

The study goes all the way back to ancient Kamet/the Egyptians/and the Sumerians. The sun plays a big part in these cultures but most scientists’ today keep that discovery relatively quiet...why? who really knows... It’s a very deep subject and the average person may not be willing or honest enough to give it the proper research. Some Africans aren’t even privy to this information.

Yes, this part is highly interesting. As some people have indicated vitamine D is essential to the body yet sun and sunbeds are warned for because they are said to cause skin cancer. Well, many Africans should have skin cancer, I'd figure. What other secrets are there then to the sun? I wonder too.

Peace

Yes, I have many perspectives now and they seem to be confirming my thoughts.

Thanks

conk
27th September 2011, 19:55

I think its Vitamin-D that we get from sun-bathing - Vit E protects from harmful UV rays - thats what some research found out. Going off topic, sorry, but add some good fatty acids to the E and the sun will not damage your skin.

Mark
28th September 2011, 17:17
I think, if people around the world were nude more often, there'd be less wars! :)

Mhm. Everybody would be too busy laughing. :humble:

Charlie Pecos
29th September 2011, 02:25
Here's what I know: I tend to not get depressed when I get plenty of sunshine.
Watching women frolic about with no tops on certainly helps in that department! :)

Koyaanisqatsi
29th September 2011, 03:33
Well, as an Arizonan and outdoorsman, i speak from experience when i say that you DO NOT want a sunburn on the penis.

That might be the greatest post ever haha :o

modwiz
29th September 2011, 03:50
10144I love being naked. Give me sufficient temperatures (80+ F.) and I am not wearing clothes wherever I can. If a beach allows nudity I am raw in a nanosecond. Back in my hippie days I would go camping with friends and we would have our clothes off for every sunlit hour of the day. The air, the water, flowing across my skin is just wonderful and food for my body and soul.

Oh yeah, I sleep that way too.

Lord Sidious
29th September 2011, 10:45
10144I love being naked. Give me sufficient temperatures (80+ F.) and I am not wearing clothes wherever I can. If a beach allows nudity I am raw in a nanosecond. Back in my hippie days I would go camping with friends and we would have our clothes off for every sunlit hour of the day. The air, the water, flowing across my skin is just wonderful and food for my body and soul.

I wouldn't dream of going without clothing outside for too long, I am so pale, I burn in a full moon. :cool:

Ernie Nemeth
29th September 2011, 11:18
When I was a teenager there was this old quarry not far outside Montreal. My friends and I used to go there, male and female, take all our clothes off...and jump in the mud!
It was clay, really. Wet and light colored, tan. We'd wallow in it like pigs do, slopping around until we were covered in it. Then we'd get out and walk up the hill on a rocky path beside the sheer sides of the drop-off. We had a spot up there beyond a patch of small trees. And on those rocks, I guess they were granite, we'd sun ourselves until the mud dried. When we began to feel uncomfortable as our skin was pulled tight by the drying mud we'd get up and go the edge of the cliff. Below, the quarry was filled with water - beautiful, pristine, crystal clean water. The drop was maybe thirty or forty feet. And we would one by one dive and jump into the water below. Once immersed the caked-on mud would drop off in clumps. We'd rub our hands all over our bodies and wash away the rest of the mud and swim back to shore near the mud pit. There we'd gather our clothes, get dressed and drive back to the city.
The mud bath. It made your skin feel sooo good, for hours it would tingle. And it refreshened you in a way that can't be described. Thanks Violet - I haven't thought of that in ... well decades. And it was a good thread to start with today as I have just woke up from the very best dream I've had since I was twelve - my flying dreams! Thanks again.

Daft Ada
29th September 2011, 11:19
I always loved to be naked, swimming naked is just wonderful. Every opportunity I got when on holiday abroad I would be naked, but in the UK if you are a man and you take your clothes off you will be labelled as some kind of sexual pervert in seconds. I have always hated shoes and spend as much time as possible barefoot, but a lot of people look at me like I am some kind of nutter, even when they have come into my home and I'm barefoot. Women can do what they like, that's ok. Have any of you noticed how when a pretty girl comes on the X factor and bares all, there's all the cheering and laughter and applause, last week a young man came on and did a dance in which he ended up naked and the hall went totally silent and then everyone booed , one of the female judges walked off over acting and making gestures of being sick. That's the world we live in, Ok for women but men are perverts if they do it.

Ruby L.
29th September 2011, 11:24
I grew up in the tropics, being mostly bare feet and half naked in the hot, sunny and humid climate. Bliss!

For the ambient factor, at Christmas time, we'd turn the A/C up all the way and spray our windows with fake snow just to be able to wear colourful, wooly jumpers and wish each other a merry day! In the meanwhile, coconut and banana trees were swaying in the warm breeze, outside. :lol:

Having written that, it also took quite a while to adjust when I did move to temperate countries years later. The summers were great, but it was the remainder eight months: ALL those clothes and layers!
And having to wear socks and closed shoes all the time! *shudders*

It felt like my senses were being desensitised and padded in. Imagine a dolphin wrapped up in layers of wool insulation, with socks on each flipper and a balaclava on. That's how I felt for a long while.

HURRITT ENYETO
29th September 2011, 11:30
I've tried to look around the world and back into time to find a clear answer but I see very contrasting things. On the one hand there are as-good-as naked bushmen in black Africa and on the other there's the fully clothed Toearegs and other desert cultures in unbearable heats in the desert.

I have never heard of the Toerag tribe, I bet they're a motly crew!!! :)

Hurritt

Lord Sidious
29th September 2011, 11:32

Hurritt

Thanks for the laugh nugget.

HORIZONS
29th September 2011, 12:46

I wouldn't dream of going without clothing outside for too long, I am so pale, I burn in a full moon. :cool:

Well nugget if you would get out from under that hood once and a while and get some sun you might find you enjoy it. ;)

Lord Sidious
29th September 2011, 12:52

Well nugget if you would get out from under that hood once and a while and get some sun you might find you enjoy it. ;)

Being the most devious of all the Sith Lords, I couldn't allow all you nuggets to know who I am, or my plans would not proceed as I have foreseen them.

Beren
29th September 2011, 12:52

He can't , 'cause Master Windu has fried his head long time ago...

:boink:

Lord Sidious
29th September 2011, 12:55

Erm, no.
Oh, and your ''master'' windu is now bbq windu. :p

Beren
29th September 2011, 12:58

Erm, no.

hehe

He's not my master you nugget...
force is though strong with him and you were thrown down by one of your apprentices as I recall ...

:flame:

ulli
29th September 2011, 13:03
Mykonos 1973... The best part was when back in London we did a slide show for our friends who would never dream of skinnydipping ...it was a wake-up call for them. A whole beach of "beautiful" people.
The only one who was dressed was some Egyptian princess who was a guest on one of the mega yachts, and she wore a full length floral gown, and her hair was done up in a bee hive years after every girl had let her hair down.
I should mention that when my son was born six years later he came with full-fledged modesty and completely retrained me. Now I hardly dare take a shower in the nude.

Lord Sidious
29th September 2011, 13:05

Erm, no.

hehe

force is though strong with him and you were thrown down by one of your apprentices as I recall ...

This is true, but my consciousness was transferred to a clone body I had waiting on Wayland.
Do you seriously believe the most devious of all the Sith Lords is so easily defeated?

Beren
29th September 2011, 13:13

Erm, no.

hehe

This is true, but my consciousness was transferred to a clone body I had waiting on Wayland.
Do you seriously believe the most devious of all the Sith Lords is so easily defeated?

I wasn't doubting at all ... just thought you'd take some fairer form ...

...so you could ...say take a sun bath ...:eyebrows:
or learn tango or levitate bare naked in front of younglings of Jedi training camps...

Moxie
29th September 2011, 13:38
I've heard it mentioned that the fact that humans are the only animal creatures on the planet that have to wear clothing to keep warm in cooler weather is an indicator that we're not native to the planet...

and, I've always envied men their liberty of going topless.

Beren
29th September 2011, 13:49
I've heard it mentioned that the fact that humans are the only animal creatures on the planet that have to wear clothing to keep warm in cooler weather is an indicator that we're not native to the planet...

It was and still is a point of perception .
As higher the conscience goes ,these things like nudity isn't considered at all for body it self is a cloth to a spirit...

greybeard
29th September 2011, 14:08
In my youth I went to a nudist beach while on holiday--- it was part of my desire to overcome programed limitations.
The fear of being seen naked went rapidly.
The sense of freedom was over whelming particularly when out swimming.
The down side was I got my backside sun burnt --- the water is a great magnifying glass --- Lol

C

Violet
29th September 2011, 14:35
As higher the conscience goes ,these things like nudity isn't considered at all for body it self is a cloth to a spirit...

This is interesting. How so: clothing a spirit?

Violet
29th September 2011, 14:45
Mykonos 1973... The best part was when back in London we did a slide show for our friends who would never dream of skinnydipping ...it was a wake-up call for them. A whole beach of "beautiful" people.
The only one who was dressed was some Egyptian princess who was a guest on one of the mega yachts, and she wore a full length floral gown, and her hair was done up in a bee hive years after every girl had let her hair down.
I should mention that when my son was born six years later he came with full-fledged modesty and completely retrained me. Now I hardly dare take a shower in the nude.

There, that's an evolution on a micro-level. You could have also opted for walking around the house naked, children or not. But you didn't.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Hurritt

I'm sorry, Hurrit, I missed the joke. Could be my English, dunno.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

This seems to refute evolution theory...Which is no (t yet a) crime, by the way.

Lord Sidious
29th September 2011, 14:46

There, that's an evolution on a micro-level. You could have also opted for walking around the house naked, children or not. But you didn't.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Hurritt

I'm sorry, Hurrit, I missed the joke. Could be my English, dunno.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

This seems to refute evolution theory...Which is no (t yet a) crime, by the way.

He was using English slang.
Toerag is a slang term for what an American would call a scumbag.

Beren
29th September 2011, 14:52

Well it's a bit long to explain but I will be short as much as I can;

we are not bodies.

We are Divine souls, particles of God whom through body came into this world to experience it.

In spirit -there is no imaginable limit for any of us in any field or dimension or possibility.
But in body there are so far.

When spirit is in body it can't function on a way it was before taking its cloth (the body).
Very few were able to function in body as they were in spirit.

But ultimately that's our destiny. Body and soul united in God.
Then we'd be able to do and accomplish anything in body and outside of it. At will we'd leave it or be with it and be in any space we wish so.

Violet
29th September 2011, 14:56
He was using English slang.
Toerag is a slang term for what an American would call a scumbag.

Okay, now I see, rags and bags. Thanks!

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Well it's a bit long to explain but I will be short as much as I can;

we are not bodies.

We are Divine souls, particles of God whom through body came into this world to experience it.

In spirit -there is no imaginable limit for any of us in any field or dimension or possibility.
But in body there are so far.

When spirit is in body it can't function on a way it was before taking its cloth (the body).
Very few were able to function in body as they were in spirit.

But ultimately that's our destiny. Body and soul united in God.
Then we'd be able to do and accomplish anything in body and outside of it. At will we'd leave it or be with it and be in any space we wish so.

Body as clothing for the soul is also how I see it. I thought you meant that textiles were clothing our soul and I didn't really see how.

seko
29th September 2011, 16:04
We have to realize that we came to this planet naked and that is just who we are.

Take a look at this article for the record breaking nude photo in Mexico city a few years ago posing for Spencer Tunick (photographer).

Photographs are great take a look. It's art!

http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/0,1518,481468,00.html

ulli
29th September 2011, 16:39

The above post took me back a bit and so here is ulli, reminiscing....
I researched on the web who that fully clothed princess was on that beach in Mykonos.
After all, there are few people in this world who have made small talk with ulli in her birthday suit....worth finding out who they are, at least
And so I just discovered that she was Irene of Greece, the sister of the Queen of Spain.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irene_of_Greece
I'm impressed with myself. Apart from a few British baronets like the Ogilvys I thought I hadn't met a Royal in person.
Unless one could consider Averell Harriman, who was as close to American Royalty as one could imagine, and who also was a member of the original MJ12.
But no small talk there, he had lost all of his hearing by the time I met him. His wife Pamela had to interpret, yelling into his ear.

the trojan
29th September 2011, 17:25
In my youth I went to a nudist beach while on holiday--- it was part of my desire to overcome programed limitations.
The fear of being seen naked went rapidly.
The sense of freedom was over whelming particularly when out swimming.
The down side was I got my backside sun burnt --- the water is a great magnifying glass --- Lol

C

i was about to write this very post....my sojourn on a nudist beach in the south of france when i was in my late teens was most liberating.

Ernie Nemeth
30th September 2011, 06:31
Swimming in the nude is very liberating, and it feels sensuous.
Ulli, you had quite a "sordid" past, didn't you. lol

Davidallany
30th September 2011, 07:49
I would do it like the Tuareg, how else could a sunburn be prevented?
Awesome, very clear thinking.

modwiz
30th September 2011, 08:28

I believe we are partially native to the planet. We just need to stay in the Torrid Zone where the vegetation grows year round as well.

Also as an update: My 14 year old son, who lives with his mom went to his first nudist camp this Summer. His mom and sisters have gone for years and love them. He was totally cool with it. He basically told me about the rules of putting a towel down where you sat and other small stuff. He had zero to say about being naked around people. Nudity was a non event for him.