PDA

View Full Version : US Soldiers Bodies put in Landfill...



Kristin
8th December 2011, 15:28
This really pisses me off. I can't even imagine what the families must be feeling right now as well as Veterans in general...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2071629/Number-dead-U-S-soldiers-remains-dumped-landfill-sites-revealed-Army-274.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

From the Heart,
Wormhole

Number of dead U.S. soldiers' remains dumped in landfill sites is revealed by Army... and it's much higher than expected
274 soldiers' remains were thrown in Virginia dump site
Total comprised 976 'body fragments', says mortuary records
By GAVIN ALLEN
Last updated at 2:24 PM on 8th December 2011
Comments (0)
Share

The number of dead U.S. soldiers whose remains were dumped in landfill has been revealed and it is much higher than the military originally admitted.
The Army had initially said it was unable to tell how many of the soldiers' bodies, repatriated from Iraq and Afghanistan, had been part of the process that has been a national scandal for America.
But it has now been revealed that the remains of at least 274 troops - comprising 976 body fragments - that could not be identified or were later recovered from the battlefield were incinerated and sent to a landfill site in Virginia, operated by Waste Management Inc.

Shocking numbers: It has been revealed that the remains of 274 soldiers were dumped in landfill in Virginia
The families of the dead had authorized the military to dispose of the remains respectfully and with dignity.
However, the relatives were completely unaware that the remains were being dumped in landfill while the landfill site was not informed what was being thrown away. The Dover mortuary changed its policy to burying the parts at sea in June 2008.
The figures come from a report based on information from a database at the mortuary, where the remains of most war dead return.
According to The Washington Post, Air Force officials claim they don't know when the practice began but that its first record of such a procedure was on February 23, 2004.
The secretive practice which ran for five years, between 2003 and 2008, when the remains of some 6,300 dead soldiers passed through Dover Air Base mortuary.
The scandal is the latest to hit the military base which receives all America's war dead and prepares them for burial.

Dover's mortuary processed over 4,000 sets of remains from 2008 to 2010, most of which were Iraq and Afghanistan war dead
It was earlier revealed that body parts belonging to deceased soldiers were lost or sawed off without the family’s permission.
A damning report found that an arm bone belonging to a dead marine was hacked off without asking his parents by staff at Dover Air Force Base in Delaware.
An ankle and some soft tissue went unaccounted for due to ‘gross mismanagement’ and may have been mixed in with the remains of other soldiers.

An 18-month probe into Dover's mortuary, pictured here, revealed one soldier had his arm cut off by staff without the family's permission
Whistleblowers also claimed that the fetal remains of dependents of military personnel were shipped from Germany back to the U.S. in cardboard boxes that had already been used.
The scandal at Dover Air Force base began after complaints by three whistleblowers - civilians who worked as embalmers or technicians - who sparked an 18-month investigation by the Air Force Inspector General.
A separate probe was carried out by the Office of Special Counsel, an independent federal investigative agency which looks into claims by whistleblowers.
Among the most egregious instances was when the family of one marine asked to see his dead body one more time - and staff at Dover had hacked his arm bone off.
The heat from a bomb attack in Afghanistan had caused the soldier’s arm to fuse at 90 degrees to his body so he was unable to fit into his uniform or his casket.
But instead of speaking to his family to see what was for the best, staff went ahead and trimmed it anyway.
The investigation found the two body parts that went missing were a piece of an ankle belonging to a soldier killed by a bomb in Afghanistan in April 2009.
The investigation found two body parts went missing entirely, including a piece of an ankle belonging to a soldier killed by a bomb in Afghainstan and a small piece of flesh belonging to an airman who died in plane crash in Afghanistan
The second was a small piece of flesh belonging to an airman who died in plane crash in Afghanistan in July 2009.

The investigation found two body parts went missing entirely, including a piece of an ankle belonging to a soldier killed by a bomb in Afghainstan and a small piece of flesh belonging to an airman who died in plane crash in Afghanistan
The investigation did not discover what happened to them - but raised the possibility they fell out of the plastic bags where they were being stored in the morgue refrigerator and got mixed in with the remains of others.
The whistleblowers also drew attention to shipping of fetal remains belonging to relatives of military personnel back to the U.S.
Instead of being transported in the more dignified aluminium cases they were shipped in re-used cardboard boxes.
In a statement accompanying her report Special Counsel Carolyn Lerner said the findings were ‘deeply troubling’.
She said: ‘The mortuary for the United States military should boast the best conditions and best practices of any mortuary.’
The report added that there was a ‘pattern of the Air Force’s failure to acknowledge culpability for wrongdoing relating to the treatment of remains of service members and their dependents.

The Dover scandal comes just months after it was revealed Arlington National Cemetery had 211 graves either mislabelled or containing the wrong person's remains
The Dover scandal comes months after it was revealed Arlington National Cemetery had 211 graves either mislabelled or containing the wrong person's remains
There were also cases of remains being moved without families' consent or graves left empty when they should have remains in them.
The cemetery is considered sacred ground and has been the final resting place of the nation's veterans since 1864.
More than 300,000 servicemen and women are now buried there.
General Norton Schwartz, the chief of staff of the Air Force, apologised for the mistakes made at Dover.
He said: 'We understand the obligation of this work, the sanctity of this work, the need for reverence, the need for dignity and respect of our fallen, just as if these were our sons and daughters'.
An Army and FBI probe is still investigating the outrage at the nation’s most hallowed military graveyard.








Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2071629/Number-dead-U-S-soldiers-remains-dumped-landfill-sites-revealed-Army-274.html#ixzz1fxR4OVl5

Realeyes
8th December 2011, 15:59
I am Shocked for the families involved, my heart goes out to them, how distressing.

YET not shocked that tptw would do such an inhumane thing.

alienHunter
8th December 2011, 16:12
This is the latest information regarding this story

MedTrace Inc. of North East in Cecil County, says they had a contract with the Air Force between 2004 and 2007. MedTrace officials say workers at the company loaded up boxes of remains in containers from the Dover, Delaware mortuary.

The Obama administration stopped this practice and the process now requires burial at sea.

baddbob
8th December 2011, 16:15
What the Hell goes on with these heartless people

alienHunter
8th December 2011, 16:15
what is tptw?

Kristin
8th December 2011, 16:36
Alien Hunter, the article was posted today in the Toronto Star... you wouldn't happen to have a link to the info that you posted above would you? Thanks!
From the Heart,
Wormhole

GK76
8th December 2011, 16:55
It's the MSM, it is even true? What do they hope to achieve with this story?

To destroy the troop's faith in the army leaders, that they are not respected enough to be given proper services when they have given their lives for the country's cause. This would separate the soldiers with a conscience, those who are not brainwashed enough to continue in the service of TPTW. Army leaders are well know to only want the unquestioning loyalty from their troops - a useful tool to have when faced with a civil war where they may have to fire on their own countrymen.

Kristin
8th December 2011, 19:29
Article has been in the Washington Post, Toronto Star, and Daily Mail. It's been around. I seriously doubt that it's a hoax. This has been a subject of consideration since 2008 and has not been resolved, there are a lot of angry families who will not let this rest. I doubt that this would have even come out if they hadn't got caught dumping in the landfill in the first place.

From the Heart,
Wormhole

alienHunter
8th December 2011, 19:47
Alien Hunter, the article was posted today in the Toronto Star... you wouldn't happen to have a link to the info that you posted above would you? Thanks!
From the Heart,
Wormhole

Hi wormhole,

What I did was use google...select news...and used this search: "soldiers thrown in landfill"

crosby
8th December 2011, 20:46
what is tptw?

the powers that were.

Kristin
8th December 2011, 20:49
Thanks AH, I was just being lazy LOL. Too many windows open, so little time.
From the heart,
Wormhole