+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 1 5 15 35 LastLast

Thread: Racism

1. Link to Post #81
    Thanks

Default Re: Racism

I was considering making a political correctness and social justice warriors thread to hash out some ideas and pose some questions but my thoughts likely belong here as much as anywhere.

Firstly, personality wise I am an INFJ, so I tend to be an idealist and sometimes I get admittedly overly concerned about peoples feelings. That being said I do see the dangers in political correctness and the social justice warriors who often divorce themselves from facts.

I have recently become obsessed with the ideas of Jordan Peterson, between Peterson and my exposure to the wonderful people here on Avalon I have moved my dial quite a bit.

Peterson for those unfamiliar is a Psychology Professor from the University of Toronto who has come to international attention as of late for his "controversial" remarks regarding gender identity and the LGBT community. Peterson however is much more than a one issue man. Peterson's critiques of political correctness, postmodernism, postmodern feminism, white privilege, cultural appropriation, and environmentalism are all worth looking at.

I mentioned my personality profile earlier because he has done some interesting research on personality and political belief.

According to his studies the relationship between political belief and personality are very much connected. In terms of political correctness for instance he believes there are two types:

PC-Egalitarianism- tend to be classic liberals
    PC-Authoritarianism- tend to be the social justice warriors - (this group also has some cross over with right wing authoritarians as well interestingly)

Peterson feels that Universities have let students down by not fully educating students about extremism. For instance little is taught about the exterminations and crimes by Stalin-ism and Maoism, while Fascism and Nazism which are equally horrific are over emphasized.

So politically I am from the left and that's unlikely to change, but I sure hope to be egalitarian and not authoritarian.

In this increasingly polarizing world it is such a balancing act, this trying to find the middle way.

I want free speech and don't want people to feel policed by myself or others. I also don't want to live in a world where under the guise of free speech
    people think they can say or write anything they want consequence free. (By consequences I simply mean other people's reactions to their words, not in a legal sense.)

Right now Trump is the American President. He is unabashedly not PC and is celebrated by many for it. How far is too far? Should we not care if a President generalizes Mexicans as rapists? or Uses the name "Pocahontas" as a pejorative word at a ceremony to honour Native American veterans? I mean shouldn't he be held to a higher standard then someone shooting the shi*t at the local coffee shop? Again I don't mean there needs to be a MSM firestorm over everything that comes out of his mouth which sadly is what happens on the daily right now. Where is the middle way?!!

I keep making comments on here that I am done with left leaning politicians that talk PC but don't walk their talk or change anything. I feel I have been tolerating Trump's routine insults of various groups because I was hoping against hope that he would make changes, but I think he is just the next pendulum swing to right that is further polarizing not only his own country but all of us. My concern is that there is not going to be a swing back to the left before we are at each others throats in civil or race war. We often talk on here about how the powers that be are goading us into this. It's so hard to not fall for the polarization- speaking personally.

I know I have gotten into some disagreements on here with TargeT, Sammy, Helen and most recently Oddball. Even when things get heated I am learning from our opposing viewpoints and value your opinions.

Sorry- this got longer and more rambly then likely necessary. I am genuinely interested in hearing about people thoughts and feelings on racism, political correctness, SJW's, authoritarianism and extremism of all stripes. Is there a middle way?

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bruno For This Post:

bluestflame (30th November 2017), Ewan (17th December 2017), Foxie Loxie (30th November 2017), Franny (1st December 2017), Iloveyou (30th November 2017), Wind (1st December 2017)

3. Link to Post #82
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 95,891 times in 15,481 posts

Quote Posted by Bruno (here)
    [...]
    Right now Trump is the American President. He is unabashedly not PC and is celebrated by many for it. How far is too far? Should we not care if a President generalizes Mexicans as rapists? or Uses the name "Pocahontas" as a pejorative word at a ceremony to honour Native American veterans?
    [...]
    Straightening up some records:

Quote Trump honored three Native Americans, all in their 90s, who helped the US Marine Corps develop a secret code using the Navajo language during the Second World War.
    “I just want to thank you because you’re very, very special people. You were here long before any of us were here,” Trump said.

“Although we have a representative in Congress who, they say, was here a long time ago. They call her Pocahontas.”

[...]

Trump has repeatedly used the nickname to mock Warren, specifically her claims of Native American heritage during her time at Harvard Law School in the 1990s. Warren has recently clashed with Trump over the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. She was one of the driving forces behind the agency’s establishment under the Obama administration.

From: https://www.rt.com/usa/411121-trump-...hontas-warren/
    ... and so, for the record:

Quote What's more offensive and criminal than anything is that Elizabeth Warren has advanced her career and made millions of dollars off of a lie that she is Native American.

The media sycophants let her attack President Trump rather than call her out for lying about her heritage.

From: http://thegatewaypundit.com/2017/11/...as-slam-video/
    ... how many ways can a marble be spun around...

"La réalité est un rêve que l'on fait atterrir" San Antonio AKA F. Dard

Troll-hood motto: Never, ever, however, whatsoever, to anyone, a point concede.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

bluestflame (19th December 2017), Bruno (1st December 2017), DNA (16th December 2017), Ewan (17th December 2017), Foxie Loxie (3rd December 2017)

5. Link to Post #83
    United States Avalon Member Foxie Loxie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,639 times in 2,960 posts

Excellent post, Bruno! It does get very complicated doesn't it?! I really think a lot depends upon how a child was raised...into which culture one was inculcated. Personally, I don't bother watching or listening to what Trump says or doesn't say. I DO understand the mindset that applauds his Make America Great theme, because that was the mindset I was raised in. It took an odd series of events to lead me to Avalon where I was exposed to totally different ways of thinking.

I have a dear friend who has dedicated his entire adult life to spreading the Biblical 6,000 year old earth Creation Story, as from the book of Genesis. He is highly intelligent, but cannot realize that what he believes is based upon a false premise. Indeed, not many question anything about The Bible & still accept it as The Word of God. Within the circle he inhabits, he is quite the "hero" for defending the 6 Days of Creation & Noah's Flood as "scientific"; proving it from The Word of God.

I can do nothing to "change" him; just as no one could do anything to "change" me while I was still operating under my childhood brainwashing! I guess we each have to focus on being "the change we want to see" within our own personal circles....to influence those we are able to in a non-confrontational way. Anyone who is here on Avalon is already thinking "outside the box"....so to speak! We each have our own personality as well, so that plays into any discussions we may have.

Personally, I count myself VERY fortunate to have been able to join Avalon & broaden my vista & learn from some very mature members! Thanks to ALL who have played a part in my Journey of Discovery!

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

Antagenet (19th December 2017), Bruno (1st December 2017), Ewan (17th December 2017), Franny (1st December 2017), KiwiElf (11th December 2017), starlight (3rd December 2017), T Smith (5th June 2019), Wind (1st December 2017)

7. Link to Post #84
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,530 times in 32,788 posts

To bump the interesting thread, here's some pure racism (the real thing, but harmless and actually very funny) that went viral on social media 10 days ago.
    This viral Facebook post sums up America's race problem

This man's story sums up the kind of everyday racism that black Americans face.

In a post to Facebook that has since gone viral, Emmit Eclass Walker alleged a woman in Ronald Reagan Washington Airport assumed he was not a first class passenger.

She reportedly refused to believe him and assumed he had to be a member of the military to be able to enjoy first class.

In his own words, he is just a 'n***a with money'.

After the exchange, he took a selfie.

Eclass Walker shared the photo and the story, and captioned it with the exchange he claimed had taken place.

On Facebook, his original post was shared over 182,000 times.

It went up on Instagram account @TheShadeRoom where it received almost 300,000 likes.

In the caption Eclass-Walker wrote:
    Her: excuse me i believe you may be in the wrong place you need to let us thru. This line is for priority boarding
    Me: priority meaning first class correct?
    Her: Yes...now excuse me they will call y’all after we board
    Me: *shove first class priority boarding pass in her face* you can relax ma’am I’m in the right spot, been here longer, so you can board after me
    Her: *still won’t let It go* he must be military or something, but we paid for our seats so he still should have to wait
    Me: nope too big to ever be in anybody's military. I’m just a n***a with money 💰 🤷🏾‍♂️
    Everybody waiting in line: starts to clap lmao 😂

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

bluestflame (16th December 2017), DNA (16th December 2017), Ewan (17th December 2017), Innocent Warrior (18th December 2017), Mark (19th December 2017), Molly4US (20th December 2017)

9. Link to Post #85
    Thanks

And another recent instance, this time not so funny at all:
    Student op-ed calls white people 'an abomination'
    • Texas State University’s student newspaper published an op-ed Tuesday telling “white people” that “your DNA is an abomination.”
    • The op-ed generated intense criticism from readers who felt that it was simply designed to inflame racial tensions and should have raised red flags for the paper's editors.
    Texas State University’s student newspaper published an op-ed Tuesday telling “white people” that “your DNA is an abomination.”

“When I think of all the white people I’ve ever encountered—whether they’ve been professors, peers, lovers, friends, police officers, et cetera—there is perhaps only a dozen I would consider ‘decent,’” student columnist Rudy Martinez begins the op-ed, which The University Star has not posted on its website.

The piece documents Martinez’s personal opinion of “whiteness” and “white people,” which he defines to include anyone who is “a descendant of those Europeans who chose to abandon their identity in search of something ‘new’—stolen land.”

Contending that racial categories “are used to subjugate non-white people,” Martinez complains that “in Texas, a bizarre state I have now inhabited for four years, I continuously meet individuals that either deny the existence of white privilege or fail to do something productive with it.”

Addressing white classmates, he asserts that “you were not born white,” but rather “became white” and “actively remain white” through “allegiance to a country that was never great.”

Martinez then warns white people that “the oppressive world you have built...is coming apart at the seams,” describing Donald Trump as the last gasp of white supremacy.

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Antagenet (19th December 2017), bluestflame (16th December 2017), DNA (16th December 2017), Ewan (17th December 2017), Innocent Warrior (18th December 2017), Mark (20th December 2017), Molly4US (20th December 2017), T Smith (5th June 2019)

11. Link to Post #86
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,952 times in 2,389 posts

That student newspaper article reminded me of the closing chapters of Shikasta (by Doris Lessing), which was the first in a series of novels entitled Canopus in Argos: Archives.

The disaffected youth of all nations gather in Greece for a trial, holding a representative of the white races to account for all the horrific history of said race. Namely the avarice, rape and murder with which they greeted virtually every nation they encountered, from a false arrogance of superiority. By the end of the trial however the majority had concluded that pretty much every nation had been the same in their own way to various different subsets of humanity. Rather than the white race being alone they were all guilty of man's inhumanity to man.

On p417 I just noticed an interesting part from which to quote. It is with the trial ended and the various factions heading off home..

Quote ..I was getting reports of rumours - very strong and persistent - particularly in India and Africa, that there were plans for 'mass transfer of populations' to all parts of Europe
    (snip-snip-snip)
    .... but the fact is, coincidence or not, massacres, a determined and planned wiping out of the remaining European populations was on the cards and being actively endorsed...
    Shikasta was first published in 1979

What else was happening in 1979

Thatcher became the first female PM of Britain.
    63 Americans are taken hostage in the American Embassy in Tehran
    Iran's government becomes Islamic Republic when the Shah of Persia is forced to leave
    400 Armed Sunni Islamic Muslims, seize the Grand Mosque in Mecca taking pilgrims present for the annual hajj hostage. The crisis ends after two weeks and more than 250 dead.
    A mob attack destroys the US Embassy in Islamabad, Pakistan
    The Sahara Desert experiences snow for 30 minutes. [You go global warming!]
    Rhodesia becomes Zimbabwe.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ewan For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (17th December 2017), Iloveyou (20th December 2017), Molly4US (20th December 2017)

13. Link to Post #87
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,692 times in 8,940 posts

This below is precisely the same exact thinking and behaving as the Klu Klux Klan ones. There will always be bigots and stupid people in every race it seems

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    And another recent instance, this time not so funny at all:
    Student op-ed calls white people 'an abomination'
    • Texas State University’s student newspaper published an op-ed Tuesday telling “white people” that “your DNA is an abomination.”
    • The op-ed generated intense criticism from readers who felt that it was simply designed to inflame racial tensions and should have raised red flags for the paper's editors.
    Texas State University’s student newspaper published an op-ed Tuesday telling “white people” that “your DNA is an abomination.”

“When I think of all the white people I’ve ever encountered—whether they’ve been professors, peers, lovers, friends, police officers, et cetera—there is perhaps only a dozen I would consider ‘decent,’” student columnist Rudy Martinez begins the op-ed, which The University Star has not posted on its website.

The piece documents Martinez’s personal opinion of “whiteness” and “white people,” which he defines to include anyone who is “a descendant of those Europeans who chose to abandon their identity in search of something ‘new’—stolen land.”

Contending that racial categories “are used to subjugate non-white people,” Martinez complains that “in Texas, a bizarre state I have now inhabited for four years, I continuously meet individuals that either deny the existence of white privilege or fail to do something productive with it.”

Addressing white classmates, he asserts that “you were not born white,” but rather “became white” and “actively remain white” through “allegiance to a country that was never great.”

Martinez then warns white people that “the oppressive world you have built...is coming apart at the seams,” describing Donald Trump as the last gasp of white supremacy.

How to let the desire of your mind become the desire of your heart - Gurdjieff

14. Link to Post #88
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,690 times in 13,806 posts

Quote Posted by Beren (here)
    Dear Avalonians,

There is a major clue which almost everyone in the non Slavic countries miss, though even in the Slavic countries 90% of the people will miss this connection through real history and the meaning of the following.

The term or a word itself "Race".
    Yes excellent as none of us are born with a number printed on ourselves....

I for one will join in with anyone, I don't care what color you are as long as you want to change this miserable condition that exists on this Earth - Malcolm X / Tsar Of The Star

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Bill Ryan (19th December 2017), DNA (19th December 2017), Foxie Loxie (18th December 2017), Molly4US (20th December 2017)

16. Link to Post #89
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 times in 1,011 posts

One of the more glaring, obvious flaw with racists of color, note I'm not saying people of color, is that they Never go after those with privilege. That is how you know it's an elitist scam. For all the blather about privilege they never go after privilege. The roc's (racists of color) go after their fellow white classmates, neighbors, work mates, etc. Do you ever hear about them protesting outside the Rockefeller Foundation or talking about the Rothchilds, etc? You won't, because they are being funded and/or provocateured by elitist sponsored money or agents.

When I was a college activist many years ago class rule as the source of problems and misery was a given, today the elites have succeeded in deleting class awareness from the student activist brain, everything is race and gender. How convenient for the elites.
    Roc's will go after the 18 yr old white male college student who barely has left his parents house, doesn't own anything and doesn't know jack from jack. Racists of color never go after privilege because they're too busy taking the trinkets the privileged give them.

In the past I've brought up these issues on this forum and have been called racist myself or accused of wanting to start a race war when all I've been doing is reacting to the reality around me. I'm glad other people on the forum are starting to be open to dealing with the crap as in the above posts.

It's an additional bitter pill for whites to swallow that they are being set up for discrimination and violence by whites (the elites).
    Ordinary whites are like lunch meat in a sandwich. One slice of bread is racists of color and the other slice of bread are the white ruling class (elitists) who hate them as much or more than the racists of color.
    Last edited by Helene West; 18th December 2017 at 00:45.

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Helene West For This Post:

Antagenet (19th December 2017), Bill Ryan (19th December 2017), DNA (19th December 2017), Flash (17th December 2017), happyuk (19th December 2017), Hym (17th December 2017)

18. Link to Post #90
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 95,891 times in 15,481 posts

From something seemingly unrelated:
    ... a huge problem with bureaucrats in Washington, DC.

I would point people to a book that was written just a couple of years ago by two Johns Hopkins University scholars, called What Washington Gets Wrong. They did a survey of precisely people like Peter Strzok, thousands of people who are senior government officials, and they asked them their attitudes towards all kinds of things. One of the things that stands out is, the vast majority of people in those positions they surveyed have basically contempt for the average American. They also believe - in shocking numbers - that if the American people want a constitutional course of action that they - as bureaucrats - don't agree with, then they feel justified in trying to stop it," Schweizer related.

"It's an attitude that goes to the heart of what is being debated about the Deep State. I think it's a debate we have to have because it's clearly a problem - not just in this case with Trump, but I think in general, their attitude and their willingness to, in a sense, ignore what the American people in our democratic republic want," he warned.
    Basically, that's the clichéd attitude of aristocrats or any group which deem anyone else being devoid of even a parcel of soul...
    Last edited by Hervé; 18th December 2017 at 01:06. Reason: Fixed link to correct one.
    "La réalité est un rêve que l'on fait atterrir" San Antonio AKA F. Dard

Troll-hood motto: Never, ever, however, whatsoever, to anyone, a point concede.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

Bill Ryan (19th December 2017), DNA (19th December 2017), Ewan (18th December 2017), Foxie Loxie (18th December 2017)

20. Link to Post #91
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Hervé (here)
    From something seemingly unrelated:
    ... a huge problem with bureaucrats in Washington, DC.

I would point people to a book that was written just a couple of years ago by two Johns Hopkins University scholars, called What Washington Gets Wrong. They did a survey of precisely people like Peter Strzok, thousands of people who are senior government officials, and they asked them their attitudes towards all kinds of things. One of the things that stands out is, the vast majority of people in those positions they surveyed have basically contempt for the average American. They also believe - in shocking numbers - that if the American people want a constitutional course of action that they - as bureaucrats - don't agree with, then they feel justified in trying to stop it," Schweizer related.

"It's an attitude that goes to the heart of what is being debated about the Deep State. I think it's a debate we have to have because it's clearly a problem - not just in this case with Trump, but I think in general, their attitude and their willingness to, in a sense, ignore what the American people in our democratic republic want," he warned.
    Basically, that's the clichéd attitude of aristocrats or any group which deem anyone else being devoid of even a parcel of soul...
    Someone I know, when he was a young politician, was with a losing party when he was approached for dinner with the head of the winning party. He was told during dinner that if he were to join his winning party, they would make him a renown figure in the party to attract the youth all over. AS my acquaintance was reluctant, the winning party head told him 'what is your problem son, don't you know we are the ones dictating to the people what they must want, we think for them because they cannot think for themselves, and we are right to do so'.

Sadly, my acquaintance quit politics after this encounter - he would have been an honest politician.

Contempt for the people all the way up and won in government hierarchies.

The most close minded, bitchy and knife backing people I have known in my career were working for governments. Employees in the private sectors have no time to be that low, they work too hard (except for those at the top of course, there it is the name of the game sometimes).
    Last edited by Flash; 18th December 2017 at 02:00.

21. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Antagenet (19th December 2017), Bill Ryan (19th December 2017), bluestflame (19th December 2017), DNA (19th December 2017), Ewan (18th December 2017), Foxie Loxie (18th December 2017), Hervé (18th December 2017)

22. Link to Post #92
    United States Avalon Member Valerie Villars's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,435 times in 2,846 posts

I think racism is simply the result of not looking in the mirror and taking responsibility for who you are. Tall order that will probably never be filled in all people.

There was a story in one of Joseph Campbell's books about this. How a black man sat down and talked with Joseph Campbell and went on and on about things he could or couldn't be because he was a black man in a racist society. I wish I had the exact words but Joseph somehow made this man see how he was making himself less than a man for not accepting responsibility for who he was himself. It was that man's problem and no one else's.

The last time I overtly encountered racism was at a small park by my old home. I was sort of on the edge of a "black" section and in between there was a park. I went there one day to metal detect and as I was leaving in my car with the window down, there was a car parked that I passed. In it was a black man who spewed the most venom filled hatred for me when he said "You get out of here you white b*tch."

I was so stunned I could hardly breathe. I couldn't imagine such hatred toward a stranger for no (good) reason. It really affected me.

Bill, I wonder if you had been born and raised in Ecaudor (still being British) if you would still get the same feedback.

And finally, my boyfriend, who is one of the kindest and used to be, least prejudiced people in the world, was in jail here in Louisiana for a DWI conviction. We're from New Orleans and we all generally get along down here. Anyway, he came out of jail prejudiced because he said every black person in there hated him because he was white. It was totally irrational. He was in prison, just like them, and not receiving any special treatment and they HATED him. Would constantly belittle the white boy for all the things in life they imagined he got because he was white. Really sad.

People not taking responsibility for themselves and blaming their hardships on someone else. Ultimately, we are all responsible for ourselves. It doesn't matter what others do to us. That's their problem.
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone when we are uncool." From the movie "Almost Famous""l "Let yourself stand cool and composed before a million universes." Walt Whitman

23. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

Antagenet (19th December 2017), Bill Ryan (19th December 2017), bluestflame (18th December 2017), Denise/Dizi (24th May 2019), DNA (19th December 2017), Helene West (19th December 2017), Hervé (18th December 2017), Molly4US (20th December 2017), petra (19th December 2017), Wind (19th December 2017)

24. Link to Post #93
    Australia Avalon Member bluestflame's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,500 times in 1,808 posts

similar to what we see a lot of now where seems to be a trend of trying to make other people responsible for what thier words trigger (bring up) in us , from one perspective a tremendous opportunity to examine the background programs running in our head just under the radar ( yet of course we are also responsible for the effect we have on the world )

what we seem to see from many activists (though likely instigated from "higher up the foodchain") is to attempt to suppress the sources of the external triggers under the guise of empowerment ( nothing could be further from the truth) the ones behind it seem to be utilising the method to KEEP people fixated IN the underlying trauma , a deliberate attempt to prevent the natural healing process that would result from examination and correction of "bad programming "

more to it , just a rough perspective from me ( they want us to remain wounded cos the wounds are thier joystick, triggers are the buttons on thier control panel , emotions are the battery that drives it )

ie responsible handling of triggers as opposed to how they are created purposefully in various methods of trauma based mind control, disarming , dismantling the "backdoor trojan"

emotional manipulation is one of thier greatest weapons against us because the majority of people are still not in control of them , many in fact deliberately let them run free and in control
    Last edited by bluestflame; 19th December 2017 at 02:09.

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bluestflame For This Post:

Antagenet (19th December 2017), Bill Ryan (19th December 2017), DNA (19th December 2017), Valerie Villars (19th December 2017)

26. Link to Post #94
    United States Avalon Member Mark's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,462 times in 2,850 posts

Hello, Bill. Thank you for this discussion. I was perusing Avalon for the first time in a while yesterday and saw you'd started this thread. I was very happy to see it and decided it was time for me to return.

As an interesting aside, I live in San Marcos, Texas and actually know the young man, Rudy Martinez, who wrote that article. He is very young. And is also one of those arrested at Drumpf's inauguration who is now facing 60 years in jail for the damage Antifa did that day. Rudy used language that was problematic and that got in the way of his discussion about the construct "whiteness", formulated in the 1600s to bind the working class together - adding Italians and Irish etc to the white race - in solidarity against the enslaved black population, indigenous Americans and others of a darker hue.

All of that was lost in the hue and din created by his title and the use of a singular word, "ontological", which, apparently, was too abstract as the general interpretation of the article was that he wanted all whites dead.

Rudy looks Italian or Spanish himself.

Anyway, great thread.
    Last edited by Mark; 19th December 2017 at 01:18.

27. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Post:

Antagenet (19th December 2017), Bill Ryan (19th December 2017), bluestflame (19th December 2017), DNA (19th December 2017), Mike (19th December 2017), ThePythonicCow (21st December 2017), Wind (19th December 2017)

28. Link to Post #95
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Rahkyt (here)
    Hello, Bill. Thank you for this discussion. I was perusing Avalon for the first time in a while yesterday and saw you'd started this thread. I was very happy to see it and decided it was time for me to return.
    Hey, welcome back. It's very good to have you here.

I'd love you to add what value, perspectives, and insights you feel you can. (There may be a lot to read! But some of it I think may be quite interesting. )

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

bluestflame (19th December 2017), DNA (19th December 2017), Mark (19th December 2017)

30. Link to Post #96
    United States Avalon Member Mark's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,462 times in 2,850 posts

There are very specific historical causes that point to the mid-1600s. The end of Indentured Servitude, Bacon's Rebellion; a relatively successful multiracial revolt that put the fear of God into the ruling class. Of course the deeper, linguistic and philosophical aspects you mention are a part of it all. But before the United States of that time, Europeans did not consider themselves, formally, a united white race. And there were very specific economic and cultural tools used from that point on to consolidate this new cultural grouping, from land to jobs.
    Last edited by Mark; 19th December 2017 at 01:47.

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Post:

Bill Ryan (19th December 2017), bluestflame (19th December 2017), DNA (19th December 2017), Ewan (19th December 2017)

32. Link to Post #97
    Thanks

Hello, Bill. Thank you for this thread. I was perusing Avalon for the first time in a while yesterday and saw youd started this thread. I was very happy to see it and decided it was time for me to return.

As an interesting aside, I live in San Marcos, Texas and actually know the young man, Rudy Martinez, who wrote that article. He is very young. And is also one of those arrested at Drumpf's inauguration who is now facing 60 years in jail for the damage Antifa did that day. Rudy used language that was problematic and that got in the way of his discussion about the construct "whiteness", formulated in the 1600s to bind the working class together - adding Italians and Irish etc to the white race - in solidarity against the enslaved black population, indigenous Americans and others of a darker hue.

All of that was lost in the hue and din created by his title and the use of a singular word, "ontological", which, apparently, was too abstract as the general interpretation of the article was that he wanted all whites dead.

Rudy looks Italian or Spanish himself.

Anyway, great thread.
    I think the construct of whiteness comes from much earlier than the 1600's Rakhyt. It certainly comes from at least at the beginning of the Roman (catholic) church when white was pitted against black (in French and latin) in terms of godlike vs evil forces, light vs darkness, naming ligt or white as being the right thing to be/do in terms or enegies.

Then you had stupid people who translated it as being applicable to skin colour to name the outside and the inside.

This way of thinking has become so ingrained (the religious one) that people from both races confounded it with good vs bad, etc. I remember a young neighbour of ours (friend with my daughter) who got very upset when I mentioned that someone had received blackmail - she cursed at me for being so racist naming the mail as from black. Her mother had to stop her and explain that it is only a word usage, having nothing to do with the skin color.
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 19th December 2017 at 01:50. Reason: changed the timestamp to follow Rahkyt's post about the 1600s

33. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Bill Ryan (19th December 2017), bluestflame (19th December 2017), DNA (19th December 2017), Helene West (19th December 2017), Mark (19th December 2017), Omni (19th December 2017), Wind (19th December 2017)

34. Link to Post #98
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 times in 1,011 posts

Villival says above in Post #92 her reaction to the hate spewed against her was she was so stunned she could hardly breathe. Most whites would react that way because imo many whites are still in a bubble regarding race. They believe if they love or respect everybody then surely the world will reciprocate likewise.

I read over a decade ago that social scientists found that of all the races whites are the least likely to discuss race in their homes. Don't know if that is still the case since the hatred towards caucasians is becoming more upfront but my experience is that many whites are going to try and hold on tight to their kumbaya bubble.

35. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Helene West For This Post:

Antagenet (19th December 2017), Bill Ryan (19th December 2017), bluestflame (19th December 2017), DNA (19th December 2017)

36. Link to Post #99
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Helene West (here)
    Villival says above in Post #92 her reaction to the hate spewed against her was she was so stunned she could hardly breathe. Most whites would react that way because imo many whites are still in a bubble regarding race. They believe if they love or respect everybody then surely the world will reciprocate likewise.
    That sparked an interesting thought sequence in myself. It went like this:
    1. Here in Ecuador, if any Ecuadorian vented like that to me I too would be utterly shocked. (Nothing like that has ever happened to me.)
    2. But in Ecuador, the locals wouldn't do that. They just don't behave like that. They're far more contained and introverted as a culture.
    3. But, some of them may think it.
    4. So if they just think it, and never express it, does that make the sentiment okay?
    5. Is holding the sentiment 'racism', even if it's never acted on externally?
    6. If only overt expression or action constitutes racism, then is it all just fine for people to think or believe whatever they like, as long as they never express it?
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 19th December 2017 at 02:48.

37. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

DNA (19th December 2017), Iloveyou (20th December 2017), Mark (19th December 2017), Molly4US (20th December 2017), petra (19th December 2017)

38. Link to Post #100
    United States Avalon Member DNA's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 times in 4,313 posts

Rahkyt, I'm a huge fan. You are one of the smartest guys I've ever had the privilege of interacting with on this forum.
    We agree on a host of abstract topics that make you a joy to converse with.
    You are not only an intellect, you are a soul, you are a man with the rare ability to make soul felt abstract intuitions something everyone can understand.
    I hope you remain a member here for a long time to come.

As an interesting aside, I live in San Marcos, Texas and actually know the young man, Rudy Martinez, who wrote that article. He is very young. And is also one of those arrested at Drumpf's inauguration who is now facing 60 years in jail for the damage Antifa did that day.
    I'm not a fan of Antifa, from what I understand it is a movement funded by George Soros to help destroy the Middle Class of the United States, as the Middle Class of the United States is one of the greatest obstacles to a one world government.
    It seems to me that there is a globalist agenda in regards to social engineering, and right now we are seeing the United States experiencing the full brunt of this social engineering via a controlled media.
    This controlled media has attempted to create a divide in the United States, a racial divide, and now there seems to be an attempt at making a divide between the sexes as well.
    I believe Antifa to be one of the tools used in creating a racial divide, and I also believe Donald Trump to be aware of many of the machinations put in place and that Donald Trump is attempting as best he can to thwart the attempts of the Globalists to destroy the Middle Class of the United States.
    I'm a huge fan of Donald Trump and if we as a country are to survive the onslaught of what is to come, then folks like myself are going to have to try and communicate the situation we see to folks who are quite capable of understanding it, but as of right now appear to not.
    I've never had your tact and or grace of the pen Rahkyt, I've always been more of a bull in a china shop, but there you are.

39. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DNA For This Post:

Antagenet (19th December 2017), bluestflame (19th December 2017), Flash (19th December 2017), Mark (19th December 2017), T Smith (5th June 2019)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 1 5 15 35 LastLast