Thread: Water Fasting

1. Link to Post #141
    Great Britain Avalon Member Flyswim's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Water Fasting

Quote Posted by jc71 (here)
    Hi Flyswim,

I think your fast has been a massive achievement! Well done

I did 5 days this time, and all was fine, but I would like to do a longer one like you. I think I just need to have a bit more control over my environment before I do that (e.g. not have the teenagers eating their food near me every day!).

I am going to see what I can put in place after Easter to maybe do a 20 day fast or something like that.

35 days... with an aim for 40. Just shows what is possible when the ordinary person in the street would think it almost impossible to go more than 2 days without food!

You have my utmost respect for your achievement, and I look forward to hearing how you end the fast and how that feels after such a long time.

JC
    Thanks JC. I didn't tell many people about my Fast but I might do so now that I have finished it! Yes, I agree that most people would be shocked to realise that the body can survive on water for at least 40 Days - I'll enjoy shocking some of the people I know

I'm not sure that I could have done such a long Fast in a family setting so it must have been difficult for you to do your long Fast? Have you got a man cave to hide in (with a large bottle of water)?

I hope you keep us informed if and when you do another Fast.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flyswim For This Post:

Bill Ryan (31st March 2018), Humanbean (31st March 2018), jc71 (31st March 2018), Michelle Marie (5th April 2018), Peace in Oz (10th June 2021)

3. Link to Post #142
    Thanks
    Thanked 456,563 times in 32,726 posts

Quote Posted by Flyswim (here)
    Thanks for all your support over the 40 Days. It was a great experience to share
    WOW. Kudos, and respect. Thank YOU for sharing the experience with us. That's all quite an inspiration.

And I'll not be the only one to have enjoyed your VERY high spirits and sense of fun throughout. Wow again... respect again.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Flyswim (3rd April 2018), jc71 (31st March 2018), Michelle Marie (5th April 2018), Peace in Oz (10th June 2021), Rosco1 (1st August 2019)

5. Link to Post #143
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,403 times in 258 posts

Hi Flyswim,

I did 5 days this time, and all was fine, but I would like to do a longer one like you. I think I just need to have a bit more control over my environment before I do that (e.g. not have the teenagers eating their food near me every day!).

I am going to see what I can put in place after Easter to maybe do a 20 day fast or something like that.

35 days... with an aim for 40. Just shows what is possible when the ordinary person in the street would think it almost impossible to go more than 2 days without food!

You have my utmost respect for your achievement, and I look forward to hearing how you end the fast and how that feels after such a long time.

JC
    Thanks JC. I didn't tell many people about my Fast but I might do so now that I have finished it! Yes, I agree that most people would be shocked to realise that the body can survive on water for at least 40 Days - I'll enjoy shocking some of the people I know

I'm not sure that I could have done such a long Fast in a family setting so it must have been difficult for you to do your long Fast? Have you got a man cave to hide in (with a large bottle of water)?

Hi Flyswim,

40 days. Amazing. Really well done!

I am going to start my next longer (hopefully) fast next week, so I will update this thread shortly.

I think this is something that more people on the forum (members or guests) should maybe try. They might be surprised by the results and relative ease of undertaking.

The great thing is that we now have several people on this thread showing that it is safe (after taking into consideration all of the previous comments and information), beneficial (from a weight, repair, spiritual point of view - whichever combination you might be looking for of these), and educational (in terms of showing mainly yourself that things that might seem impossible could be relatively easily achieved).

Thank you Bill for setting me off down this path

Will let you all know when I start my next fast. Flyswim: you are now my inspiration!

JC

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jc71 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (1st April 2018), Flyswim (3rd April 2018), Michelle Marie (5th April 2018), Peace in Oz (10th June 2021)

7. Link to Post #144
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,177 times in 591 posts

Just a quick update to let you all know that I did 40 Days on my Water Fast and broke it yesterday at 6 p.m. I started by sipping lemon water slowly and then demolished 3 big bowls of spinach (slightly wilted). My tastes buds sprung alive; it was delicious! I'm now making a huge pot of (mainly) green vegetable soup and will also make some Salsa Verde - I'm really craving fresh green food. This will sustain me for today. I don't want to overload my digestive system and I still drink plenty of water (with fresh lemon juice).

The last few days of the Fast were tough. I was so busy and a long train trip on Tuesday took its toll. I'm too English to pay for a 'Fasting Center' but I understand the need to make sure the body can rest during the Fasting process. In retrospect, it would have been better to rest up for the last week of my marathon Fast.

I will definitely Fast again. I doubt I'll do another 40 Day Fast but never say never

For me, the best times on my Fast were Days 7 - 16 and Days 27 - 36. I still feel clear minded and focused and am so glad I can cook again - it's a passion of mine!

Thanks for all your support over the 40 Days. It was a great experience to share

Flyswim
    Wow ! Respect. Very inspiring and close to unbelievable. To end a 40 (!!) days fast on Easter, starting from scratch is beyond words for me.

I've bumped into this thread today, and have skimmed though from OP discovering your unique experience day by day (as the one from Bill, JC & Michelle).

Something I will be trying one day, for sure

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jean-Luc For This Post:

Bill Ryan (1st April 2018), Flyswim (3rd April 2018), jc71 (2nd April 2018), Michelle Marie (5th April 2018), Peace in Oz (10th June 2021)

9. Link to Post #145
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 115,974 times in 20,621 posts

Why Fasting Is Such a Powerful Treatment Strategy for Diabetes
    (Good article today from Dr. Mercola on water fasting here):
    https://articles.mercola.com/sites/a..._rid=262358867

Quote Story at-a-glance
    An estimated 30.3 million Americans, nearly 1 in 10, have Type 2 diabetes. Another 84 million American adults — about 1 in 3 — are prediabetic, defined as an elevation in blood glucose over 100 mg/dl
    Any fasting blood sugar regularly over 90 mg/dl really suggests insulin resistance, and work by the late Dr. Joseph Kraft suggests 80 percent — 8 out of 10 — Americans are in fact insulin resistant
    Type 2 diabetes is curable, and the cure is less than inexpensive — it’s free. You actually save money, as the remedy is to fast and not eat anything for a number of days on a regular basis
    Type 2 diabetes should not be treated with insulin, as insulin forces glucose into cells that are already saturated with excess glucose and cannot take in more. Instead, the glucose gets turned into fat, which is why insulin injections result in dramatic weight gain
    The answer for Type 2 diabetes is to stop feeding your body sugar and burn off the sugar already in your cells, and the most effective way to do this is fasting
    See the rest here:https://articles.mercola.com/sites/a..._rid=262358867
    Each breath a gift...

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

barneythez (12th April 2018), Bill Ryan (1st April 2018), Flyswim (3rd April 2018), jc71 (2nd April 2018), Michelle Marie (5th April 2018), Peace in Oz (10th June 2021)

11. Link to Post #146
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Hi Flyswim,

JC

Hi Flyswim,

Just going back to this post - yes I do have a man cave (my office!) so that is helpful, although with a wife and children, you are not allowed to stay in the cave 24/7

I had a question for you as I consider my next longer fast: Can you summarise what additional supplements you took during your 40 days, if any? Was it purely water? Did you have black coffee? Did you take salt? Bone Broth? Did you take any other vitamins or supplements? I am just interested to know what you would advise after the event and all things considered.

I am not sure whether I needed to take my rock salt, but I didn't take anything else apart from coffee and filtered water during my previous fast.

Thanks,

JC

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jc71 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (2nd April 2018), Flyswim (3rd April 2018), Humanbean (3rd April 2018), Michelle Marie (5th April 2018), Peace in Oz (10th June 2021)

13. Link to Post #147
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    WOW. Kudos, and respect. Thank YOU for sharing the experience with us. That's all quite an inspiration.

And I'll not be the only one to have enjoyed your VERY high spirits and sense of fun throughout. Wow again... respect again.

Thanks Bill. I, of course, blame you for starting this thread and, thus, my impetus to start my 'marathon' Water Fast - grin

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flyswim For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd April 2018), jc71 (3rd April 2018), Michelle Marie (5th April 2018), Peace in Oz (10th June 2021)

15. Link to Post #148
    Thanks

Quote Will let you all know when I start my next fast. Flyswim: you are now my inspiration!
    I look forward to reading about your next Fast, JC. I will definitely do another - and I'm thinking of doing a 5 Day Fast once a month. I'll also post if and when I do another Fast. I'm still gobsmacked that I did a 40 Day Fast and it has healed a few health issues I was dealing with. I will post a longer update on this soon. Promise

Flyswim

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flyswim For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd April 2018), jc71 (3rd April 2018), Michelle Marie (5th April 2018), Peace in Oz (10th June 2021)

17. Link to Post #149
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Jean-Luc (here)
    Just a quick update to let you all know that I did 40 Days on my Water Fast and broke it yesterday at 6 p.m. I started by sipping lemon water slowly and then demolished 3 big bowls of spinach (slightly wilted). My tastes buds sprung alive; it was delicious! I'm now making a huge pot of (mainly) green vegetable soup and will also make some Salsa Verde - I'm really craving fresh green food. This will sustain me for today. I don't want to overload my digestive system and I still drink plenty of water (with fresh lemon juice).

The last few days of the Fast were tough. I was so busy and a long train trip on Tuesday took its toll. I'm too English to pay for a 'Fasting Center' but I understand the need to make sure the body can rest during the Fasting process. In retrospect, it would have been better to rest up for the last week of my marathon Fast.

I will definitely Fast again. I doubt I'll do another 40 Day Fast but never say never

For me, the best times on my Fast were Days 7 - 16 and Days 27 - 36. I still feel clear minded and focused and am so glad I can cook again - it's a passion of mine!

Flyswim
    Wow ! Respect. Very inspiring and close to unbelievable. To end a 40 (!!) days fast on Easter, starting from scratch is beyond words for me.

I've bumped into this thread today, and have skimmed though from OP discovering your unique experience day by day (as the one from Bill, JC & Michelle).

Something I will be trying one day, for sure
    Thank you Jean-Luc. Yes, I'm also surprised that I lasted 40 Days. I didn't set out with a goal and just took it Day by Day. The first week (and the last week!) was tough but it really did become easier and easier and the enormous boost in mental clarity, emotional well-being and loads of energy helped tremendously. That, and being able to see and feel healing / repairs going on with my body. I will detail a longer post about what was and wasn't healed as well as some of the dietary changes that seem to have lasted - albeit that I am only on Day 4 of my re-feeding joy

Flyswim

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flyswim For This Post:

19. Link to Post #150
    Thanks

Hi Flyswim,

JC

Hi Flyswim,

Just going back to this post - yes I do have a man cave (my office!) so that is helpful, although with a wife and children, you are not allowed to stay in the cave 24/7

I had a question for you as I consider my next longer fast: Can you summarise what additional supplements you took during your 40 days, if any? Was it purely water? Did you have black coffee? Did you take salt? Bone Broth? Did you take any other vitamins or supplements? I am just interested to know what you would advise after the event and all things considered.

I am not sure whether I needed to take my rock salt, but I didn't take anything else apart from coffee and filtered water during my previous fast.

Thanks,

JC
    Hi JC, thanks for your questions. I did not take any supplements throughout my 40 Day Fast. I did eat a couple of pinches (1/2 teasp?) of rock salt a day (I loved chewing it slowly!) and felt this helped maintain electrolyte balance i.e. I didn't feel dizzy or weak. I only drank Water for the first week and then I read Human Bean's
    Quote A couple of interesting studies on that point Bill, indicating that both Coffee and Green tea stimulate autophagy rather than inhibit it. I have also read that olive oil does the same thing:
    https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24769862
    Thus, I started drinking a cup of good quality black coffee a day but soon found that I only wanted a cup every 3 or so days until towards the mid / last stages of my Fast (Days 21 onwards), I didn't want to drink any coffee at all. I drank at least 3 litres of Water a day - sometimes more - and towards the last few days I didn't want to drink much Water - 2 litres was as much as I wanted. However, by that stage my body was signalling that it had come to the end of the Fast. I will update a longer post on how that happened. I'll also post more about my re-feeding regime but, in short, I am now drinking Water with fresh lemon and mint (lush!) and I'm eating LOTS of green vegetables. I've made my own Tsatsiki, and a dollop of that on lightly wilted green vegetables is my new fave taste! Slowly does it.
    Last edited by Flyswim; 3rd April 2018 at 11:34.

20. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Flyswim For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd April 2018), Billy (4th April 2018), Eva2 (4th April 2018), Humanbean (3rd April 2018), jc71 (3rd April 2018), leavesoftrees (5th April 2018), Michelle Marie (5th April 2018), Peace in Oz (10th June 2021), selinam (14th April 2018)

21. Link to Post #151
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Hi JC, thanks for your questions. I did not take any supplements throughout my 40 Day Fast. I did eat a couple of pinches (1/2 teasp?) of rock salt a day (I loved chewing it slowly!) and felt this helped maintain electrolyte balance i.e. I didn't feel dizzy or weak. I only drank Water for the first week and then I read Human Bean's
    Quote A couple of interesting studies on that point Bill, indicating that both Coffee and Green tea stimulate autophagy rather than inhibit it. I have also read that olive oil does the same thing:
    https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24769862
    Thus, I started drinking a cup of good quality black coffee a day but soon found that I only wanted a cup every 3 or so days until towards the mid / last stages of my Fast (Days 21 onwards), I didn't want to drink any coffee at all. I drank at least 3 litres of Water a day - sometimes more - and towards the last few days I didn't want to drink much Water - 2 litres was as much as I wanted. However, by that stage my body was signalling that it had come to the end of the Fast. I will update a longer post on how that happened. I'll also post more about my re-feeding regime but, in short, I am now drinking Water with fresh lemon and mint (lush!) and I'm eating LOTS of green vegetables. I've made my own Tsatsiki, and a dollop of that on lightly wilted green vegetables is my new fave taste! Slowly does it.
    Hi Flyswim,

Thanks, that is very useful information. I look forward to hearing more about how your body signalled that it was ready to end the fast!

Good to hear that you took the rock salt too - I think I will continue that in my next fast.

I must admit I really can't get as excited about green vegetables as you clearly can be at this stage. I think that means that I have a long way to go in extricating myself from the western junk-food diet that unfortunately most of us in the UK are hooked on!

I am gearing up now. I think I will be starting tomorrow. Whether it will be 1 day, 40 day, or something in between, I think it is good not to prescribe at this point. I am hoping for something nearer 40 than 1 though; we shall see

JC

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jc71 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd April 2018), Flyswim (3rd April 2018), Michelle Marie (5th April 2018), Peace in Oz (10th June 2021)

23. Link to Post #152
    Thanks

Quote I look forward to hearing more about how your body signalled that it was ready to end the fast!

Good to hear that you took the rock salt too - I think I will continue that in my next fast.

I must admit I really can't get as excited about green vegetables as you clearly can be at this stage. I think that means that I have a long way to go in extricating myself from the western junk-food diet that unfortunately most of us in the UK are hooked on!
    Hi JC,

I will go into detail soon about how my body made it known it was time to stop Fasting - although I'll leave some of the more dramatic reactions to your imagination

I do think a daily pinch or two of rock salt is important - your mouth will zing into life if you take it neat

I'm still enjoying lots of green vegetables, with fresh herbs and Tsatsiki. I have no desire for bread, cheese or red meat (old favourites) yet

I thought that this article on gut bacteria and junk food may be of interest:

http://theconversation.com/your-gut-...f-you-do-41564

Quote I am gearing up now. I think I will be starting tomorrow. Whether it will be 1 day, 40 day, or something in between, I think it is good not to prescribe at this point. I am hoping for something nearer 40 than 1 though; we shall see
    I truly wish you a great Fast. I miss mine a little bit! I shall be watching for your updates with interest and think you are wise to keep it open ended (so to speak)!

Flyswim

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Flyswim For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd April 2018), Billy (4th April 2018), Eva2 (3rd April 2018), Humanbean (3rd April 2018), jc71 (3rd April 2018), Michelle Marie (5th April 2018), Peace in Oz (10th June 2021)

25. Link to Post #153
    Thanks

A 3 day and 10 day fast. My turn.

From several sides there came tips and motivational material concerning water fasting.

A friend said it would be a good idea to go through a ten day fast for the anti parasitical function. To see if I could get over these curious symptoms I have been carrying for many years now, since I took a trip deep into the Amazon.

Modern medicine here does not know what to do anymore, so I will do whatever it takes to find my regular beaming energy level.
    At the same time Bill here started this timely thread with all the info needed. Thank you!

I had been tweeking my diet instinctively the last years to less carbohydrates, more paleo-like. Tuning in to what we can grow on our little farm in these cold nordic climes. Which is quite a lot! In the old days the farmers here only bought salt, and iron.

The objective was threefold;

-kill parasites, if they're there.
    -check for digestive troubles;food allergies and possible cause of pain in the throat/nasal area by reflux.
    -cleanse, cleanse...autophagy take out the rubbish!

I happened to get some days alone and rolled naturally, as if it was not just me directing this, into a tapering of food intake and a three day fast. Just water and tea.
    That was easy. I took it day by day and decided to round it off at the three day mark.

I eased back into food-land and sharpened my paleo approach a notch.
    In the back of my head I was planning for a five day fast the next time I was going to be alone for some time...and that does not happen often, with the bustle of children.
    But, come easter.....and another possibility presented itself.

Now, I went for a five day fast, but added five more days. I was half way, so why not go for the required ten day parasite-cleanse?
    Not easy, since after day three, when things calmed down and clarity set in, the usual pattern of symptoms imposed itself. (Bouts of tiredness à la ME, pain and sensations of clumps moving about in the chest/throat/nasal cavities and around the eyes)
    Pretty boring, but I at least could scrap food based troubles and reflux from the list of possible factors.

Even though the family returned halfway through it was easy enough. Making food for everybody etc...I took it as a good lesson in focus and willpower.

Post fast:

I was reading up on paleo vs keto diet while fasting and decided to take the little step of cutting out all carbs and go full keto. Meaning training the body to use fat as the energy source, not carbohydrates.

I had laid the groundwork and now would be a good time to test it. Never had I the need for diet or anything. No allergies or weight troubles.
    Very interesting, this underlying craving for sugar, carbs. Quite the junkie, even though I never had a big sweet tooth.

I think I lost about six to eight kilos and am losing more still. I don not care enough to find the scales (somewhere in the barn hahaha...) and check. I just go with how I feel and how my pants are dropping : )
    My 195 cm (6' 4") frame has plenty hidden reserves that aren't necessary and are possibly holding stuff I want out.

It made me curious about the old fashioned custom of lent, and fasting before the spring that has disappeared from our society. It feels as a loss. The body never rests today. That preoccupied me since I was a child, this running from pain and discomfort in our society. It was thát, that led me away from organised religion from age 11. It felt weak, sanctimonious, and wrong on the deepest level.

Food wise there is never stress. Keto works fine with the rest of the flock here. I eat what the rest eats. Good meat/fish and veggies, leaving out the potah-toes/rice, adding extra fat ( now that's easy!).
    Green shake in the morning, cheese/egg( sorry Bill )/meat based snacks through the day. No sugar, apart from a square of dark chocolate.
    I will start eating everything what the garden and farm gives, so that means also potatoes and berries (maybe bread...I am unsure still). Without those life gets hard in the mountains and growing into a more self-reliant scenario. The potatoes last through the six months of snow and ice we have here.
    The mountain people were quite simpel food-wise. Potatoes, cabbages, carrots, some beets, maybe onions. We have a plethora of greens, compared to them...

The fast was a great experience, making me more rooted, secure in my body on a very base level. The role food has, has changed. Even less stress, by hopping out of the where-is-the-next-meal-carousel for a while.
    It is great to test the mentioned focus and willpower. Especially with the mental challenges a not quite so happy body poses. Who am I, now my artistic and building endeavours are very limited?

Thanks to all, for links, info and inspiration.

Love, O.

26. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Orobo For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th April 2018), Eva2 (11th April 2018), Flyswim (11th April 2018), jc71 (12th April 2018), Jean-Luc (13th April 2018), Michelle Marie (12th April 2018), Mike (11th April 2018), Peace in Oz (10th June 2021), selinam (14th April 2018)

27. Link to Post #154
    Thanks

I kept meaning to update my post Fasting news but life is just so busy at the moment with no let up in sight. I have now been re-feeding for nearly 2 weeks and am still eating piles of veggies (pickled, steamed, raw), herbs, natural yoghurt, occasional pulses and I drink plenty of water with fresh lemon and mint. I don't have any desire to eat meat or fish or bread or cheese or alcohol

I feel good but not as good as when I was Fasting. Once the digestive process re-started so did all my emotional and mental processes. It felt like I was sinking heavily back to earth / reality.

I find myself consciously eating food to re-populate healthy gut microbes and I am very aware of any body changes when I add new foods. No allergic reactions, so far. I only seem to have cravings for healthy food! Here’s a good article explaining how our gut bacteria makes us desire certain foods:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...s-what-to-eat/

Here is an excerpt (2 mins) of a BBC radio program on good foods to eat to boost and maintain the diversity of bugs in the gut: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p063rc8m

I will definitely incorporate Fasting into my eating routine - maybe 5 days a month. I do miss it! I have cured some health issues - intestinal, scar tissue, detoxing, knee and ankle injury pain and acid reflux. So far all those issues have stayed away. Obviously, I lost weight but that wasn’t my focus. I think I may have put a few pounds back on but nothing too noticeable. I stopped my Fast after 40 days as I began to feel very nauseous and as if I had run out of energy / glucose.

Thanks for posting your detailed Fasting news, Orobo. I particularly related to this:
    Quote The fast was a great experience, making me more rooted, secure in my body on a very base level. It is great to test the mentioned focus and willpower.
    I think I'll do another week of eating and then do another 5 (or 7?!) Day Fast
    Last edited by Flyswim; 11th April 2018 at 14:31.

28. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Flyswim For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th April 2018), Eva2 (11th April 2018), Flash (12th April 2018), jc71 (12th April 2018), Jean-Luc (13th April 2018), leavesoftrees (12th April 2018), Michelle Marie (12th April 2018), Mike (11th April 2018), Orobo (12th April 2018), Peace in Oz (10th June 2021), selinam (14th April 2018)

29. Link to Post #155
    Thanks

Thanks to everyone for posting their experiences!

I stopped my Fast after 40 days as I began to feel very nauseous and as if I had run out of energy / glucose.
    Yes, that's very interesting. I suspect (but absolutely do not know!) that this is like when a marathon runner 'hits the wall'. The gas tank is simply empty, the engine is running on fumes, and it all happens pretty suddenly.

I'd agree, on the basis of what little I know, that that's the body's red-light-on-the-dashboard emergency signal that it now needs food again. When that happens will be a totally individual thing... I'd imagine that a lot will depend on (a) the faster's initial physical condition to start with in general, and (b) their weight: i.e. how much fat there is to burn when ketosis (fat-burning) kicks in. Everyone has more than they think (even super-lean athletes have 7-13% body fat for men, and 14–20% for women), but it's not an infinite amount!

My own update, though it's all very minor compared with others' heroic experiences: I'd fasted for (just! ) 9 days, back in January, and in the two and a bit months since breaking my fast I've put back most of what I initially lost. That's all good... I wasn't overweight to begin with, so I'm probably regaining some kind of reasonable healthy balance.

Yesterday I set out to repeat my mountain hike of 23 February, when, soon after my fast, I'd astounded myself by climbing a 14,600' local peak, the highest in the area, without stopping, in a time I'd have thought was impossible.

I successfully did the same again: identical time, no stopping, but — OMG!! — I had to push myself a little. I guess I was carrying an extra 7-8 lbs! Seriously, though, the link with Flyswim's latest report is that although I was in good shape still, I didn't feel quite the same feeling of liberation and lightness that I did the first time. This time it was WORK.
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 11th April 2018 at 22:37.

30. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Alan (14th April 2018), Bob (11th April 2018), Daozen (12th April 2018), Flash (12th April 2018), Flyswim (12th April 2018), jc71 (12th April 2018), Jean-Luc (13th April 2018), leavesoftrees (12th April 2018), Michelle Marie (12th April 2018), Mike (11th April 2018), Orobo (12th April 2018), Peace in Oz (10th June 2021), Rosco1 (1st August 2019), selinam (14th April 2018), sunwings (12th April 2018)

31. Link to Post #156
    Scotland Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,410 times in 1,804 posts

I remember my first 3 day fast in London age about 20. The first day, I felt kind of hungry. The second, I was dying of hunger, and had no energy. Day 3, my stomach must've shrunk, because I had zero desire for food. I remember my friend waving a baguette in my face trying to make me jealous . I just felt sorry for him, cos he needed to eat, and I existed on air alone. Then we had to run for a tube, and I realized I had zero spare energy to burn. After 3-10 steps I got out of breath and felt palpitations. That was the only time I noticed any effects from the fast. I broke that fast on day 4 by eating 5 chip sandwiches. That was stupid. I felt sick, and probably undid all the good work I did.

Muscle wasting is my big worry with extended fasting. I wonder if you could still do exercise and drink a rice protein drink once a day, to not waste away.

St Germain *apparently* refused all food at royal banquets, and only ate once a day. His elixir wine recipe is online. I only skimmed this link. Please take the bold claims with a huge grain of salt... But the recipe seems solid:

“Saint-Germain-Te” – the Tea of St. Germain.

Quote As far as I have researched the tea is made of a mixture of fennel-seeds, anise-seeds, tartrate crystals, tartaric acid crystals, senna and elderflower.
    http://www.imakalya.com/how-to-live-for-2000-years/

32. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Daozen For This Post:

Bill Ryan (13th April 2018), Flyswim (14th April 2018), jc71 (12th April 2018), Jean-Luc (13th April 2018), leavesoftrees (12th April 2018), Michelle Marie (12th April 2018), Peace in Oz (11th June 2021)

33. Link to Post #157
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Daozen (here)
    5 chip sandwiches.
    chips = french fries, for our American cousins!

Quote Posted by Daozen (here)
    Muscle wasting is my big worry with extended fasting. I wonder if you could still do exercise and drink a rice protein drink once a day, to not waste away.
    From the online reading I've done, qualified opinions are divided about whether muscle wasting happens on an extended fast. Flyswim may know more... she did a lot of research. She had to do something when not eating all that time!

One option I've read, which makes intuitive sense to me, is to take bone broth daily (and nothing else except water), rather than rice protein. Very healthy and super-rich in minerals and protein, but maybe not the very best for vegans.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Daozen (14th April 2018), Flyswim (14th April 2018), Michelle Marie (13th April 2018), Peace in Oz (11th June 2021)

35. Link to Post #158
    United States Avalon Member Michelle Marie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,097 times in 2,584 posts

@Bill, thanks for the chips definitions for Am. English oriented, but "French fry" sandwiches? Hmm.... Never heard of that.

My latest fasting idea is to combine my April and May fast into one and do a 10 day fast. Inspired by the conversation on this thread, of course!

I've been busy this month, so I would have had to begin my April fast towards the end of the month anyway. This will be my longest fast ever. I sort of like the idea of bone broth and water. But the coffee or green tea also sounds beneficial.

Or would it be most effective to stick with just water? Would it still cleanse any possible parasites if bone brioth and coffee or green tea were ingested?

I'll sleep on it, and also be keen to hear the input from my fasting friends!

MM
    ~*~ "The best way to predict the future is to create it." - Peter Drucker ~*~ “To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson ~*~ "Creative minds always have been known to survive any kind of bad training." - Anna Freud ~*~

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Michelle Marie For This Post:

Bill Ryan (13th April 2018), Flyswim (14th April 2018), Peace in Oz (11th June 2021)

37. Link to Post #159
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

I did an 8 day fast and trained every day. You do lose apparant muscle mass because you use up the glycogen stores in the muscles in the first 3 or so days but in my experience and from reading some studies lean muscle mass is the last thing to go, in fact it may actually increase. Your body may convert fat to muscle in order to give you the strength to catch the prey you need to eat! Also the heart is made of muscle and the body needs that till the end. Personally I wouldn't take any shakes because you'll break the fast and miss out on the autophagy process. Since my fast over a month ago I now eat and drink what I want over the weekend and then I'll fast till Tuesday eve and then have a bulletproof coffee in the mornings and a meal in the evening until the weekend again. It's feels easy, I train 5 days a week, feel strong and much fitter than before the fast and I'm even leaner than I was directly after the fast too! I think finding what works for you is the key. As it's Friday I'm off for a chip sandwich. Ta ra!

38. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Humanbean For This Post:

Bill Ryan (13th April 2018), Daozen (14th April 2018), Flyswim (14th April 2018), Michelle Marie (13th April 2018), Peace in Oz (11th June 2021), selinam (14th April 2018), sunwings (13th April 2018)

39. Link to Post #160
    Thanks

Quote chips = french fries, for our American cousins!
    Aren't french fries those skinny chips? 'Proper' chips are fat and greasy Either way, this recent news article explains America's recent discovery of the chip butty (sandwich)! http://www.dailyfeed.co.uk/2018/04/a...etty-confused/

Quote I broke that fast on day 4 by eating 5 chip sandwiches. That was stupid. I felt sick, and probably undid all the good work I did.
    Blimey! Was that one chip butty for each day of Fasting, and one for luck?

Quote Muscle wasting is my big worry with extended fasting.
    This is a good (7 min video) on muscle loss and extended Fasting. It outlines the importance of being in ketosis and inducing autophagy to prevent muscle loss.

Quote lean muscle mass is the last thing to go, in fact it may actually increase. Your body may convert fat to muscle in order to give you the strength to catch the prey you need to eat! Also the heart is made of muscle and the body needs that till the end.
    HumanBean's excellent points about lean muscle et al is spot on. Thank you.

Quote I did an 8 day fast and trained every day. I now eat and drink what I want over the weekend and then I'll fast till Tuesday eve and then have a bulletproof coffee in the mornings and a meal in the evening until the weekend again. It's feels easy, I train 5 days a week, feel strong and much fitter than before the fast and I'm even leaner than I was directly after the fast too!
    That's my next goal - to increase my exercise work-out with intermittent Fasting (as opposed to an extended Fast).
    Last edited by Flyswim; 14th April 2018 at 09:35.

40. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Flyswim For This Post:

Alan (14th April 2018), Bill Ryan (14th April 2018), Humanbean (20th April 2018), Michelle Marie (14th April 2018), Peace in Oz (11th June 2021), selinam (14th April 2018)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst 1 8 18 22 LastLast