+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst 1 9 19 22 LastLast

Thread: Water Fasting

1. Link to Post #161
    Great Britain Avalon Member Flyswim's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Water Fasting

Quote although I was in good shape still, I didn't feel quite the same feeling of liberation and lightness that I did the first time. This time it was WORK.
    Exactly! That's hit the nail on the head. Returning to eating makes life feel like hard work again. I really miss the light, high, clear, focused feelings that I had while Fasting. Not to mention the myriad benefits of Autophagy. I still have a few internal / external scars from my surgery that I'd like to clear up. I have mild (but ouchy) carpal tunnel in both wrists (far too much writing and typing for work) that Fasting and Autophagy may reduce / heal. My knee and ankle joint pains (old sports injuries) have completely gone so I am greedy for more Autophagy 'miracles'

Is Fasting for 1 week a month excessive? Methinks, I agree with your insight, HumanBean!
    Quote I think finding what works for you is the key
    Last edited by Flyswim; 14th April 2018 at 09:41.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Flyswim For This Post:

Alan (14th April 2018), Bill Ryan (14th April 2018), Humanbean (20th April 2018), jc71 (16th April 2018), Michelle Marie (14th April 2018), Peace in Oz (11th June 2021), petra (20th April 2018), selinam (20th April 2018)

3. Link to Post #162
    United States Avalon Member Michelle Marie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,097 times in 2,584 posts

Quote Posted by Flyswim (here)
    Quote although I was in good shape still, I didn't feel quite the same feeling of liberation and lightness that I did the first time. This time it was WORK.
    That's hit the nail on the head. Returning to eating makes life feel like hard work again. I really miss the light, high, clear, focused feelings that I had while Fasting. Not to mention the myriad benefits of Autophagy. I still have a few internal / external scars from surgery I'd like to clear up. I have mild (but ouchy) carpal tunnel in both wrists (far too much writing and typing for work) that Fasting may reduce / heal. My knee and ankle joint pain (old sports injuries) has completely gone so I am greedy for more Autophagy 'miracles' !

Is Fasting for 1 week a month excessive? I agree with your insight, HumanBean!
    Quote I think finding what works for you is the key
    I am going for 3 days per month with some variations. I did 5 days last time. Next I'll try one extended fast -- 10 days. Then I'll get back to 3 days a month. That's the current plan anyway.

Those French fry sandwiches look good with ketchup! I think I might eat anything if it has ketchup on it!!!
    I love fries (chips).

MM
    ~*~ "The best way to predict the future is to create it." - Peter Drucker ~*~ “To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson ~*~ "Creative minds always have been known to survive any kind of bad training." - Anna Freud ~*~

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Michelle Marie For This Post:

Alan (14th April 2018), Bill Ryan (14th April 2018), Flyswim (14th April 2018), Humanbean (20th April 2018), jc71 (16th April 2018), Peace in Oz (11th June 2021), Rosco1 (1st August 2019)

5. Link to Post #163
    Thanks

Quote My latest fasting idea is to combine my April and May fast into one and do a 10 day fast. Inspired by the conversation on this thread, of course!

I sort of like the idea of bone broth and water. But the coffee or green tea also sounds beneficial.

Or would it be most effective to stick with just water? Would it still cleanse any possible parasites if bone brioth and coffee or green tea were ingested?
    I occasionally drank black coffee while Fasting as there is lots of research that coffee boosts Autophagy However, I only drank coffee every 3 Days or so and didn't want any from Day 21 - 40 on my extended Fast. This 1 min 40 video explains why coffee boosts Autophagy.

I think I may return to Fasting next week (or the week after next at the latest.) Just for 5 Days (7 Days maximum!). TBH I have had to stop myself returning to Fasting (I was ready after 10 Days of re-feeding!) as I think that only re-feeding for 2 weeks after a 40 Day Fast is probably silly. I need another week, at least, of re-feeding. BUT my body (mind, and soul) is craving another Fast. I'd be interested to read any updates on your 10 Day Fast, and any comparisons / differences you noticed in relation to your recent, slightly shorter Fasts.

Last edited by Flyswim; 14th April 2018 at 09:44.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Flyswim For This Post:

Alan (14th April 2018), Bill Ryan (14th April 2018), Humanbean (20th April 2018), jc71 (16th April 2018), Michelle Marie (14th April 2018), Peace in Oz (11th June 2021), petra (20th April 2018), selinam (20th April 2018)

7. Link to Post #164
    Thanks

Quote Those French fry sandwiches look good with ketchup! I think I might eat anything if it has ketchup on it!!!
    We also eat Fish Finger Butty's as well as Chip Butty's (PLUS Ketchup)!

I shan't mention the deep fried Mars Bars

Last edited by Flyswim; 14th April 2018 at 09:24.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flyswim For This Post:

Bill Ryan (14th April 2018), Humanbean (20th April 2018), jc71 (16th April 2018), Michelle Marie (15th April 2018), selinam (20th April 2018)

9. Link to Post #165
    Thanks

Now that I've horrified anyone who is Fasting with Chip Butty and fried Mars Bars videos, I shall re-dress the balance and post a couple of short videos on Autophagy, and how to maximise Fat Burning. Plus, I now have to live up to Bill promoting my research abilities (or effective time usuage!)
    Quote qualified opinions are divided about whether muscle wasting happens on an extended fast. Flyswim may know more... she did a lot of research. She had to do something when not eating all that time!
    Dr Berg's 4 minute video explains that Autophagy is when cells recycle damaged and garbage parts (defects), allowing cellular remodeling. Free fatty acids and free amino acids can then start to rejuvenate the skin, muscles, brain, heart and immune system. Fasting and / or intermittent Fasting triggers Autophagy, which converts misfolded proteins (incorrectly shaped proteins) into free amino acids. It is the accumulation of misfolded proteins that causes amyloids, which is the plaquing that develops in Alzheimers, diabetes, Parkinsons, atherosclerosis and all sorts of degenerative diseases.

Dr Fung's 4 minute video explains how to use Fasting and / or intermittent Fasting to maximise fat burning and why the body preserves protein and doesn't burn muscle.

I'm also looking into how much our own personal motivation and reasons to Fast affect how long we can tolerate Fasting, as well as the positive benefits that group support affords. I really found this thread helpful, informative and supportive during my Fast and I still do

10. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Flyswim For This Post:

Alan (14th April 2018), Baby Steps (25th April 2018), Bill Ryan (14th April 2018), Humanbean (20th April 2018), IndigoSpiral (14th April 2018), jc71 (16th April 2018), Michelle Marie (15th April 2018), Ol' Roy (20th April 2018), Peace in Oz (11th June 2021), selinam (20th April 2018), Sophocles (20th April 2018), ThePythonicCow (15th April 2018)

11. Link to Post #166
    Thanks

Thanks, Flyswim. The group support is definitely inspirational, motivational, and educational for me.
    Very much appreciated!

I really liked those last two videos. Simple, short, and extremely informative. I'll be thinking about that when I do my next fast which will be for 10 days.

MM
    ~*~ "The best way to predict the future is to create it." - Peter Drucker ~*~ “To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson ~*~ "Creative minds always have been known to survive any kind of bad training." - Anna Freud ~*~

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Michelle Marie For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th April 2018), Flyswim (15th April 2018), Humanbean (20th April 2018), jc71 (16th April 2018), Peace in Oz (11th June 2021)

13. Link to Post #167
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,530 times in 32,788 posts

A minor update from me, which also bumps this fascinating thread.

I'm on Day 7 of what will probably be another 9-day fast. That's when I'll probably crash into my minimum weight again. There's a small story associated with this, which I'll dutifully report.

Last week I badly banged my elbow, and it swelled up until it was like a balloon full of hot water. OMG. The pain was like someone was holding a blowtorch to it, and I couldn't sleep a wink until about 6 am, when I finally fell asleep, exhausted.

I woke up at noon, and the pain was still there. Distracted and bothered, I never ate a thing all afternoon. When the evening came, I figured that this could simply be Day 1 of a fast, and the fast might help cure this thing (because nothing else was having any effect).

Sure enough, it has. To my astonishment, now, 6 days later, it's all normal. It was 50% better 3 days ago. I do know that things like this will take care of themselves (nothing was broken) — after all, that's what our bodies do so well. But looking this up on the net (elbow inflammation is common after an injury to the bursa), it often takes weeks to get back to normal. Here it was just a few days.

The other interesting thing is that (inspired by Flyswim's research!) I tried drinking black coffee this time... the first time I ever have on a fast. I could only manage a quarter of a cup per day... more was way too much. But it's left me rather intrigued about whether this helped the autophagy, that in turn healed my elbow.
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 19th April 2018 at 21:38.

14. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Alan (19th April 2018), Eva2 (20th April 2018), Flyswim (20th April 2018), Humanbean (20th April 2018), jc71 (23rd April 2018), leavesoftrees (20th April 2018), Michelle Marie (19th April 2018), Peace in Oz (11th June 2021), petra (20th April 2018), Rosco1 (2nd August 2019), selinam (20th April 2018), Sophocles (20th April 2018)

15. Link to Post #168
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    A minor update from me, which also bumps this fascinating thread.

I'm on Day 7 of what will probably be another 9-day fast. That's when I'll probably crash into my minimum weight again. There's a small story associated with this, which I'll dutifully report.

Last week I badly banged my elbow, and it swelled up until it was like a balloon full of hot water. OMG. The pain was like someone was holding a blowtorch to it, and I couldn't sleep a wink until about 6 am, when I finally fell asleep, exhausted.

I woke up at noon, and the pain was still there. Distracted and bothered, I never ate a thing all afternoon. When the evening came, I figured that this could simply be Day 1 of a fast, and the fast might help cure this thing (because nothing else was having any effect).

Sure enough, it has. To my astonishment, now, 6 days later, it's all normal. It was 50% better 3 days ago. I do know that things like this will take care of themselves (nothing was broken) — after all, that's what our bodies do so well. But looking this up on the net (elbow inflammation is common after an injury to the bursa), it often takes weeks to get back to normal. Here it was just a few days.

The other interesting thing is that (inspired by Flyswim's research!) I tried drinking black coffee this time... the first time I ever have on a fast. I could only manage a quarter of a cup per day... more was way too much. But it's left me rather intrigued about whether this helped the autophagy, that in turn healed my elbow.
    Wow! 7 days already! That sounds like a spontaneous fast.

That's pretty interesting, using fasting for healing. I'm going to try coffee and/or green tea when I fast next. How could you tell it was too much coffee? Too much caffeine? Did you get the jitters?

I bet fasting could heal about anything. I'm looking forward to my next one.

I'll probably start April 26 and go to May 5.

MM
    Last edited by Michelle Marie; 19th April 2018 at 22:29.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Michelle Marie For This Post:

Bill Ryan (20th April 2018), Flyswim (20th April 2018), Humanbean (20th April 2018), jc71 (23rd April 2018), Peace in Oz (11th June 2021), petra (20th April 2018)

17. Link to Post #169
    Thanks

Quote I'm on Day 7 of what will probably be another 9-day fast.
    Splendid stuff! I'm on Day 3 of a short (for me!) Fast. Not sure if it'll be 5 Days or 7 Days yet. I'm happy to join you, Bill

Quote Last week I badly banged my elbow, and it swelled up until it was like a balloon full of hot water. OMG. The pain was like someone was holding a blowtorch to it, and I couldn't sleep a wink until about 6 am, when I finally fell asleep, exhausted. I figured that this could simply be Day 1 of a fast, and the fast might help cure this thing (because nothing else was having any effect). To my astonishment, now, 6 days later, it's all normal. It was 50% better 3 days ago.
    Yes, that is my motivation for Water Fasting. Purely to cure long time health issues - surgery scars, inflammation, detoxing from medical drugs, lifestyle upgrade etc. My 40 Day Fast produced such incredible healing crises and results that I am now committed to doing (short) Fasts to maintain my health and boost my immune system.

Quote The other interesting thing is that (inspired by Flyswim's research!) I tried drinking black coffee this time... the first time I ever have on a fast. I could only manage a quarter of a cup per day... more was way too much. But it's left me rather intrigued about whether this helped the autophagy, that in turn healed my elbow.
    Yes, on my recent marathon Fast, I didn't drink any coffee for the first (tough detoxing) week. It was HumanBean who alerted me to the link between Coffee and Autophagy and follow-up research verified there was indeed a link. Similar to you Bill, I only drank coffee sporadically and in small amounts on my Fast. I might have a small cup today

Quote That's pretty interesting, using fasting for healing. I'm going to try coffee and/or green tea when I fast next. How could you tell it was too much coffee? Too much caffeine? Did you get the jitters?
    Hi Michelle, for me, I found that I was able to listen to my body more while Fasting. Thus, it would 'tell' me when and how much coffee to have. Too vague?! The easiest way to descibe it is that on some days I just didn't fancy having a coffee and on the days that I did (about every 3rd day on my 40 Day Fast), I only wanted a few sips of strong dark coffee - half a cup max. I didn't get any jitters or headaches or obvious signs of when or how much coffee to drink. Just instinct.

Quote I bet fasting could heal about anything. I'm looking forward to my next one.
    Yes, I believe Fasting is an effective healing tool. I've seen its effects in and on my own body I had a full blood test a few days ago, just to check that it was OK to start another Fast 3 weeks after my last one ended. I got great results

Onwards
    Last edited by Flyswim; 20th April 2018 at 06:42.

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Flyswim For This Post:

Bill Ryan (20th April 2018), Humanbean (20th April 2018), jc71 (23rd April 2018), Michelle Marie (20th April 2018), Peace in Oz (11th June 2021), selinam (20th April 2018), Sophocles (20th April 2018)

19. Link to Post #170
    Thanks

So, as mentioned, I'm now on Day 3 of another Water Fast. I have noticed that I seem to start my Fasts when the weather is extreme! My last Fast started in an extreme snowstorm and this latest one started in an extreme heatwave It must suit my On or Off nature

I had a full blood count test a few days ago just to ascertain that I am healthy enough to start another Fast and the results all came back as healthy. I still want to heal some health issues as well as strengthen my immune system. I've done a lot of research on this topic and there is some great information available:

Quote When your digestive system shuts down through fasting, much of the energy normally devoted to digestion is redirected to the immune system. This is because your immune system is responsible for autolysis: effectively, the process of ‘house-cleaning’ which takes place during a fast, in which unhealthy, damaged and old cells are broken down into their constituent biochemical elements and either recycled or burned up for energy. For during a fast, your body depends on more than just the energy derived through the fat-burning of ketosis. It searches out all possible sources of energy. This includes bacteria and viruses, as well as certain types of tumors and cysts. It’s also the reason that old physical injuries can clear up during a fast, as your body consumes scar tissue as well. Similarly, newer injuries tend to heal more quickly.
    https://waterfasting.org/water-fasti...immune-system/

More good news is that a study on Water Fasting shows it can slow down the damaging effects of ageing:

Quote The study has major implications for healthier aging, in which immune system decline contributes to increased susceptibility to disease as people age. By outlining how prolonged fasting cycles — periods of no food for two to four days at a time over the course of six months — kill older and damaged immune cells and generate new ones...During each cycle of fasting, this depletion of white blood cells induces changes that trigger stem cell-based regeneration of new immune system cells.
    https://dornsife.usc.edu/news/storie...ts-of-fasting/

Bill, I'd be interested to learn of any comparisons you found between your last 9 Day Fast and this current one? Especially, as both Fasts may be of the same duration.

Michelle, I admire how you have approached Fasting. Little and often and gradually getting longer. Eminently sensible (unlike me!). You sound well-prepared

As stated, I have appreciated the support on here while Water Fasting. Fasting is a personal journey but it's great to share stories, research and know that others are on a similar journey. This website shows Water Fasting Meet Ups - none in the U.K. (and I might be too English to attend anyway!) but this link may be of interest to anyone living in the U.S., Australia or Sweden: https://www.meetup.com/topics/water-fasting/

Onwards!

20. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Flyswim For This Post:

Bill Ryan (20th April 2018), Humanbean (20th April 2018), jc71 (23rd April 2018), leavesoftrees (20th April 2018), Michelle Marie (20th April 2018), Peace in Oz (11th June 2021), petra (20th April 2018), Rosco1 (2nd August 2019), selinam (20th April 2018), Sophocles (20th April 2018)

21. Link to Post #171
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,372 times in 1,413 posts

That's fascinating! Sorry to hear about the accident. I had no idea a bump on the elbow could even do that - I've bumped my "funny bone" a few times and that's some pretty blinding pain - so I can only imagine what a real bump is like.

I had a headache/toothache and so I really did not want to eat much because it hurt. I don't know how or why, but the pain went away after about a week of me suffering.

Maybe had nothing to do with my "fasting" - but I can vouch for "eating less" helping with immunity because I don't seem to get colds or flu's anymore. Haven't had a cold or flu in about two or three years, and to be honest it's a little bit creepy to just "not get sick". If at some point I do end up catching a cold, I'd be kind of surprised at this point.

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to petra For This Post:

Bill Ryan (20th April 2018), Flyswim (26th April 2018), Humanbean (20th April 2018), jc71 (23rd April 2018), Michelle Marie (20th April 2018), Peace in Oz (11th June 2021), Sophocles (20th April 2018)

23. Link to Post #172
    Thanks

Quote Posted by petra (here)
    I can only imagine what a real bump is like.
    Yes, it was a REAL bump!

Quote Posted by petra (here)
    I can vouch for "eating less" helping with immunity
    Yes. The way it works, according to every medical fasting expert, is that with NO energy needed for digestion (which is a lot!), the body has a lot of extra resources to get busy on needed longstanding maintenance and repair. And as Flyswim pointed out, the body will scavenge and consume everything it can find (including pathogens, but always excluding muscle) to convert into fuel.

Quote Posted by Flyswim (here)
    Bill, I'd be interested to learn of any comparisons you found between your last 9 Day Fast and this current one? Especially, as both Fasts may be of the same duration.
    Great question. I'm asking it myself.
    • So far, I've had MORE energy throughout than last time, especially after the start of Day 6. It's been really easy. It feels like I could go on for quite a long time, but as I've mentioned, I'll stop at what I consider is my minimum weight. That may be tomorrow, but the day after at the latest. (i.e. this would be a 9 or 10 day fast.)
    • I've been losing a little LESS weight per day than last time, despite most definitely being more physically active. That's beyond my understanding right now!
    • But here's the MOST interesting thing. I've never read any references to this anywhere, in anecdotal accounts.

The last two days, I've been energetically cleaning out my storeroom. Now, I essentially live on a farm, with an enthusiastic, free-range dog that's often really muddy and dirty. And my storeoom is huge, larger than many apartments. It's partly open to the outdoors, i.e. not totally sealed at the roof edges, so birds fly in and out. It's really like an enormous block-built garden shed, 60 feet long.

You might not believe what's in there. It's an entire ecosystem, and there's stuff in there accumulated from years back. You get the picture.

It was never chaos: I have a workshop in there, too, and it's all very serviceable. But there was a lot of room for a grand-scale spring clean, the first in years.

Now here's the point. I'm SURE that what I was doing was externalizing (acting out) my body's clean-out. The entire project was a real-life metaphor.

Has anyone else noticed or experienced this while fasting?
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 20th April 2018 at 15:38.

24. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Baby Steps (25th April 2018), Eva2 (20th April 2018), Flyswim (26th April 2018), jc71 (23rd April 2018), Michelle Marie (20th April 2018), Peace in Oz (11th June 2021), petra (20th April 2018), Rosco1 (2nd August 2019), selinam (20th April 2018), Sophocles (20th April 2018)

25. Link to Post #173
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Yes Bill! That post cracked me up because I had the exact same impulse. I was up and cleaning and busying myself about the place all the time. I thought it was because I was bored not having to think about cooking but it was a real compulsion...he he!

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Humanbean For This Post:

Bill Ryan (20th April 2018), Flyswim (26th April 2018), jc71 (23rd April 2018), Michelle Marie (20th April 2018), Peace in Oz (11th June 2021), selinam (20th April 2018), Sophocles (20th April 2018)

27. Link to Post #174
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,372 times in 1,413 posts

Now here's the point. I'm SURE that what I was doing was externalizing (acting out) my body's clean-out. The entire project was a real-life metaphor.

Has anyone else noticed or experienced this while fasting?
    I guess I should say yes, because I'm always "kind of" fasting, and I feel like I'm "acting out metaphors" quite often. I think you've touched on something very important there. The best way I can think to describe what it feels like for me is as if my actual life has dream symbology in it.

What you describe sounds a bit like Feng Shui too - like your inner being is harmonizing with your environment kind of thing.
    Last edited by petra; 20th April 2018 at 16:05. Reason: Fixed quote

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to petra For This Post:

Bill Ryan (20th April 2018), Flyswim (26th April 2018), Humanbean (20th April 2018), jc71 (23rd April 2018), Michelle Marie (20th April 2018), Peace in Oz (11th June 2021)

29. Link to Post #175
    Thanks

I'll be cleaning up the garage and having a garage sale during my fast. It was my plan to begin sometime after my last event, which was Wednesday, and it will take awhile so it will coincide with my fasting.

I've noticed life presenting reflective metaphors before. Sometimes cars will imitate problems the body is having. Well, my car just stopped running and I towed it home. I don't know what went wrong yet, but when I find out, I'll give the corresponding body part or system some attention!

MM

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Michelle Marie For This Post:

Bill Ryan (20th April 2018), Flyswim (26th April 2018), jc71 (23rd April 2018), Peace in Oz (11th June 2021)

31. Link to Post #176
    Thanks

The cleaning, the cleaning...

Yes, same thing here. I started cleaning on the tail end of the tapering off, of my food intake. Into the first 3 day fast. Zooming through our not too big kitchen-living-first floor.

It has the same resetting qualities like an ayahuasca ritual ( long time since...). Cleaning, rearranging. Even alcohol, and other poisons lost their draw.
    Bill, have you ever spent a thought on trying to find a trustworthy shaman for such a house-cleaning with the tea? You must have, living in the right area...

Little update ( after a 3 day and 10 day fast), since I am here:

Still on the keto diet. I feel great. Best in years. The clarity in my head!
    I've missed that.
    The post amazon symptoms are still there, but I kind of escape from the high density goo's surface tension more time than usual. The goo I've been wading in for years.
    Never had an indication of a reaction to foodstuffs on tests.

The cravings for carbohydrates pop up once in a while, when dealing with a bout of heaviness. A sweet snack could "help" at such a point.

Sugar, and its role and workings on our body could maybe fill a thread, if there isn't already one.
    it is like finding out I was addicted to a drug without knowing I was. Even without ever having had the sweet tooth.

My weight is still low, maybe even dropping. Have to make an extra hole in my belt tomorrow.

Good luck friends.

Love, O.

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Orobo For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd April 2018), Flyswim (26th April 2018), jc71 (23rd April 2018), Michelle Marie (24th April 2018), Peace in Oz (11th June 2021)

33. Link to Post #177
    Thanks

My TEN day fast begins tomorrow. This morning I made a list of prayers and intentions.

This will be the longest I've ever fasted. I'm really looking forward to it because I know what amazing benefits come with fasting, and this will be the BEST EVER!

I'm actually starting a day earlier that my original plan, because I am ready. I've been emptying the fridge and not getting more groceries. I'll polish off a few things tonight, and I'm through eating for awhile. I have some great homemade vegetable soup with kale, some cabbage, and a hunk of leftover salmon.

Now don't be posting pictures of yummy food for awhile. LOL Just kidding.

Best love to all,
    MM

34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Michelle Marie For This Post:

avid (25th April 2018), Bill Ryan (24th April 2018), Flyswim (26th April 2018), jc71 (28th April 2018), Peace in Oz (11th June 2021)

35. Link to Post #178
    Thanks

A minor update here that might be interesting for some. I did an 8 day fast this time, and enjoyed a ton of energy, especially the last 3 days from Day 6 on. I really wanted to keep going!

I reported above on the rapid healing of my injured elbow. What was also VERY interesting for me is that I tested my LDL cholesterol a couple of days after ending the fast. It'd dropped by 15% in just over a week.

That was quite dramatic: an indicator that what I wrote...
    Quote the body will scavenge and consume everything it can find (including pathogens, but always excluding muscle) to convert into fuel
    ...really does seem to be what happens.

36. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Alan (25th April 2018), avid (25th April 2018), Flyswim (26th April 2018), jc71 (28th April 2018), leavesoftrees (25th April 2018), Michelle Marie (26th April 2018), Peace in Oz (11th June 2021)

37. Link to Post #179
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,666 times in 638 posts

Autophagy is an intracellular degradation system that delivers cytoplasmic constituents to the lysosome. Despite its simplicity, recent progress has demonstrated that autophagy plays a wide variety of physiological and pathophysiological roles, which are sometimes complex.

I came across a wonderful Joe Rogan video, where he interviews a Doctor regarding a new wonder drug, which could extend life. At around 17:30-18:30mins he explains the benefits of fasting.

38. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sunwings For This Post:

Alan (26th April 2018), Bill Ryan (26th April 2018), Flyswim (26th April 2018), jc71 (28th April 2018), Michelle Marie (26th April 2018)

39. Link to Post #180
    Thanks

I recently did a 5 Day Fast (finished it last weekend) and it was very different from my recent 40 Day Fast. I didn't have any physical detox symptoms - except a mild, headache on Day 2 - but I did go through a deep emotional detox. A lot of buried memories resurfaced on my 40 Day Fast but I felt so emotionally balanced and zen, that I was detached from any reactions On my 5 Day Fast the reactions came in thick and fast (!) and I felt everything, on every level. To top it off, even more memories resurfaced during my 5 day Fast as well! Orobo's description is apt:
    Quote but I kind of escape from the high density goo's surface tension more time than usual. The goo I've been wading in for years.
    This article explains some of the emotional detox effects during Fasting:

Quote One of the benefits of fasting is the effects it has on our emotional states. You will likely feel more emotional during, and perhaps right after, a fast. But this isn't a negative; it's actually a positive thing, because it's an opportunity for an emotional cleanse.
    https://www.allaboutfasting.com/bene...emotional.html

The article also explains that when Fasting sometimes:
    Quote the little voice says, "Why don't I clean this out right now." "It'll only take a few minutes."...while you're cleaning...you're feeling lighter, heaviness is lifting, some confused and aggravated part of you is calming, releasing, opening up, freeing. It's perhaps a sense of taking control. Perhaps it's about letting go of stuff, of material things or even of non-material things. Perhaps it's letting go of a pattern of consistent aggravation or confusion. In any case, it's choosing something new. Choosing a NEW pattern over an old one. And that happens very easily and naturally when we're fasting.
    I'm sure I mentioned my own cleaning / organising frenzy while on my 40 Day Fast (Day 7, iirc) but I won't be so gauche as to quote myself in this post However, Humanbean said it better than I could:
    Quote I had the exact same impulse. I was up and cleaning and busying myself about the place all the time. I thought it was because I was bored not having to think about cooking but it was a real compulsion
    On my 5 Day Fast, I spent Day 2 spring cleaning my gaff (house) as well as the garden decking area. The weather was sunny so I was happy to be outside and kept hearing car toots or bird squawks or excerpts of music that punctuated my thoughts. e.g. 'I must scrub the decking area' - BIRD SQUAWK! I like the way Petra described it as:
    Quote I feel like I'm "acting out metaphors" quite often. I think you've touched on something very important there. The best way I can think to describe what it feels like for me is as if my actual life has dream symbology in it.What you describe sounds a bit like Feng Shui too - like your inner being is harmonizing with your environment kind of thing.
    I also agree with your comment, Bill, that:
    Quote I'm SURE that what I was doing was externalizing (acting out) my body's clean-out. The entire project was a real-life metaphor.
    I think Fasting allows the 'metaphor world' to make itself known / heard more poignantly. I also think it happens before, during and after Fasting. As you stated Michelle:
    Quote I've noticed life presenting reflective metaphors before. Sometimes cars will imitate problems the body is having. Well, my car just stopped running and I towed it home. I don't know what went wrong yet, but when I find out, I'll give the corresponding body part or system some attention!
    I will keep doing 5 Day Fasts every month for a long as I feel called to do so. As this fella says, it's a personal decision how long and how often a person Fasts:

Quote My TEN day fast begins tomorrow. This morning I made a list of prayers and intentions.This will be the longest I've ever fasted. I'm really looking forward to it because I know what amazing benefits come with fasting, and this will be the BEST EVER!
    I truly wish you a great Fast, Michelle. I'll look out for any updates you post

40. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flyswim For This Post:

Bill Ryan (26th April 2018), jc71 (28th April 2018), Michelle Marie (26th April 2018), Peace in Oz (11th June 2021)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst 1 9 19 22 LastLast