Thanks
    Thanked 95,891 times in 15,481 posts

Default Re: Julian Assange arrested after Ecuador tears up asylum deal

Since the link above leads to a labyrinth:

Photos of Julian Assange in Belmarsh Prison Leaked by Fellow Inmate

Cassandra Fairbanks The Gateway Pundit
    Thu, 06 Jun 2019 17:52 UTC

Julian Assange in Belmarsh Prison

The Gateway Pundit has obtained exclusive testimony, as well as photos, from a fellow inmate of imprisoned WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange inside London's highest security prison.

The inmate, who wishes to remain anonymous, sent multiple photos of Assange from inside Belmarsh maximum security prison and spoke to The Gateway Pundit about the WikiLeaks founder's situation using a contraband phone he has inside.

Assange is imprisoned in the United Kingdom and faces eighteen charges under the Espionage Act in the United States for his publication of the Iraq and Afghan War Logs. If extradited and convicted, he could be face a maximum sentence of 175 years for the "crime" of publishing material that the US government did not want the population to know.

Along with the photos from inside the prison, the inmate pushed a fundraiser - causing supporters to worry that he was attempting to extort WikiLeaks or harm Assange by violating his privacy. The Gateway Pundit reached out to him to get his side of the story.

Julian Assange in Belmarsh Prison

This reporter spoke to the inmate through a series of online messages and a phone call for multiple hours on Wednesday evening. At the beginning of the conversation I asked him if he was a prisoner or someone who works there - and if his motive was to extort money from the organization.

"I'm in prison right now," he said, sending a photo from inside his cell. "Extort him for what reason? He exposed the biggest scandals in the world. Whose side do you think someone in prison would be on? The government who have us locked up in here or a fellow prisoner who actually doesn't deserve to be here?"

The inmate said that he believes that Assange needs his story told properly and is attempting to do what he can to help. He said that he hoped publishing the photos would lead to more people reading about his case.

When asked if they were attempting to sell the photos, the inmate claimed that The Sun had offered him $10,000 for them, but he declined because the publication was not interested in telling Assange's story properly. He said that he was only willing to share what he had to say, and the accompanying photos, with an outlet that supports his fellow inmate - and reiterated that his goal was simply to raise awareness of the truth of Assange's case.

The photos feature Assange prior to his illness and being moved to the prison's hospital wing last month. We have not been able to verify if Assange is aware of the existence of the photographs.

The Gateway Pundit was not asked for, nor did we provide, any compensation for the interview or permission to use the photos.

"I want his case to be understood fully, in detail," the inmate told TGP. "I want people to know why exactly the USA wants him and what good he has done for the world."

The prisoner said that while Assange can only spend £6 a week, he is in need of commissary money. Multiple people close to WikiLeaks asserted that this is false and he has more than enough in his account.

"That's the story with the pictures," he added. "He needs canteen money and a much better legal team."

Julian Assange in Belmarsh Prison. A fellow inmate is raising funds for his defense. 'He doesn't deserve to be here.'

While some of the photos revealed his prison cell and the conditions, we have opted not to share those as they may violate his privacy. The photos reveal a thin blue mattress within a scarce and very small cell.

The photos of Assange himself reveal considerable weight loss since I last visited him in the Ecuadorian embassy in March.

After viewing photos of Assange prior to entering the prison, the inmate remarked "it's true. Belmarsh has sucked the life out of him."

Speaking generally about how Assange is viewed by the other inmates, the prisoner said that he is well liked among the prison population. "Everyone's got a million questions for him - like 'is the illuminati real?' He's probably heard that question a million times," the inmate said, along with laughing emojis.

The prisoner said that there is a highly influential QC (a British lawyer) named James Scobey that prisoners who support WikiLeaks want to obtain for Assange's case. "He is known in prison for winning a lot of cases, but doesn't come cheap. We've inquired about his schedule for the next year and decided to launch this support campaign."

Scobey was ranked by the UK Bar as a "leading individual" in 2019 and has placed in the UK's Legal 500 multiple times. He is described on the Garden Court Chambers website as "a highly experienced leading counsel with a wealth of experience in defending cases of gravity across a broad spectrum of criminal work. He is instructed regularly in cases of murder, armed robbery, multi-handed conspiracies (involving the importation and supplying of Class A drugs) and fraud."

We reached out to Mr. Scobey asking if he has been contacted about his services or the fundraiser. His office responded by saying that they had not heard anything as of yet.

"This case won't be won in a courtroom," the inmate said, asserting that it will be won with a positive campaign of public pressure showcasing who he is.

The inmate also said that security officers in the prison have been spreading rumors and gossip about the Assange rape case among the inmates, saying things like "you don't know what he's in here for" to stir the pot. Though he is concerned about the rumors, he does not believe the guards are trying to get Assange hurt - he believes they are simply uninformed about the Swedish investigation and believe the smears from the media.

The award-winning publisher is under investigation in Sweden for sex crimes, which he and many of his supporters believe was a setup to get him into the nation where he could be more easily extradited to the United States. The case involves consensual sex with two women, who later found out he had slept with both. One of the women had claimed that Assange had continued to have sex with her after a condom broke - a crime in Sweden - but the condom she provided to the police had no DNA from her, Assange or anyone else on it.

Swedish authorities attempted to drop the investigation in 2013, but was pressured to keep it open by the British government - further fueling speculation that it is a political hit job. A Crown Prosecution Service had even brazenly emailed Swedish prosecutors telling them, "Don't you dare get cold feet!!!"

"He isn't going to win this case through the law, he's going to win it because there's public outcry," the prisoner explained. He noted that the mainstream media is controlled by the government and said that "the internet is the one thing they can't control," sounding a bit like Assange himself.

"The same people who run the mainstream newspapers are basically the ones running the USA, but they don't own the internet," he said.

On a bright note, the inmate explained that prison isn't like the movies and he believes that Assange is safe from anyone who would want to harm him. "You can't sneeze without permission," he said.

The prisoner stated that Assange is still currently in the hospital wing of the prison. He also said that Assange very much appreciates all the letters he is receiving from supporters and that there was one day when nobody in the roughly 300-person unit received mail - except for him.

"All of the post was for Assange," he said. "About 500 letters and it was all for him. It made him smile."

Lawyers for Assange were unable to confirm or deny any of the claims.

While we cannot confirm the authenticity of any of the inmate's statements or motives, the fact that the photos managed to get out of the highest security prison in the UK at all is stunning it itself.

Prior to his arrest, Assange spent nearly seven years in the Ecuadorian Embassy in London, unable to receive proper medical treatment, and the lack of sunshine and fresh air took a toll on his system. Doctors who visited him there wrote an article for the Guardian pleading for him to be allowed to go to the hospital for treatment, headlining their account "We examined Julian Assange, and he badly needs care - but he can't get it."

The doctors wrote,
    "experience tells us that the prolonged uncertainty of indefinite detention inflicts profound psychological and physical trauma above and beyond the expected stressors of incarceration. These can include severe anxiety, pathological levels of stress, dissociation, depression, suicidal thoughts, post-traumatic stress disorder and chronic pain, among others."
    The prisoner was most adamant that he wanted the world to read the UN's report last week which found that Assange had been the victim of psychological torture.

Last week, the UN issued a scathing report in which Nils Melzer, the UN Special Rapporteur on torture said that Assange has been exposed to psychological torture and warned that the award-winning publisher could face the death penalty if he is extradited to the United States.

Melzer visited Assange along with two medical experts who specialize in examining potential torture victims on May 9.

"I am particularly alarmed at the recent announcement by the US Department of Justice of 17 new charges against Mr. Assange under the Espionage Act, which currently carry up to 175 years in prison. This may well result in a life sentence without parole, or possibly even the death penalty, if further charges were to be added in the future," Melzer continued.

Melzer also wrote that "there has been a relentless and unrestrained campaign of public mobbing, intimidation and defamation against Mr. Assange, not only in the United States, but also in the United Kingdom, Sweden and, more recently, Ecuador."

"In the course of the past nine years, Mr. Assange has been exposed to persistent, progressively severe abuse ranging from systematic judicial persecution and arbitrary confinement in the Ecuadorian embassy, to his oppressive isolation, harassment and surveillance inside the embassy, and from deliberate collective ridicule, insults and humiliation, to open instigation of violence and even repeated calls for his assassination."

Speaking about the visit that he and the medical professionals had with Assange earlier this month, Melzer said that it was obvious that his health had been seriously impacted by the "extremely hostile and arbitrary environment he has been exposed to for many years."

"Most importantly, in addition to physical ailments, Mr. Assange showed all symptoms typical for prolonged exposure to psychological torture, including extreme stress, chronic anxiety and intense psychological trauma," the UN report said.

"The evidence is overwhelming and clear," the findings continued, "Mr. Assange has been deliberately exposed, for a period of several years, to progressively severe forms of cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment, the cumulative effects of which can only be described as psychological torture."

The report concluded with a condemnation of the actions of these governments in working to deliberately abuse him.

"In 20 years of work with victims of war, violence and political persecution, I have never seen a group of democratic States ganging up to deliberately isolate, demonise and abuse a single individual for such a long time and with so little regard for human dignity and the rule of law," Melzer said. "The collective persecution of Julian Assange must end here and now!"

In 2016, after 16 months of investigation, the United Nations Working Group on Arbitrary Detention (UNWGAD) concluded that Assange is the victim of arbitrary detention. Not only did the group of lawyers and human rights professionals release an opinion that Assange should be released, they also determined that he should be compensated by the governments of Sweden and the United Kingdom for "deprivation of liberty."

Prior to the release of the UN report, the publisher's mother, Christine Assange tweeted that the "UK Gov is unlawfully slowly killing my son!"

"They made him very ill by refusing him ANY access to life sustaining fresh air, exercise, sun/VitD or proper medical care for 6 YEARS of illegal Embassy detention," she tweeted at the United Nations Twitter account. "Then against ALL medical advice threw him into a prison cell."

WikiLeaks has not yet responded to the photos. We will update this story if a statement is made available.

Related: How to write to Mr. Assange at HMP Belmarsh: Write To Julian
    "La réalité est un rêve que l'on fait atterrir" San Antonio AKA F. Dard

Troll-hood motto: Never, ever, however, whatsoever, to anyone, a point concede.

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (11th June 2019), Billy (8th June 2019), BMJ (7th June 2019), Debra (8th June 2019), Gemma13 (7th June 2019), Innocent Warrior (7th June 2019), Kryztian (8th June 2019), meeradas (7th June 2019), Pam (11th June 2019), ThePythonicCow (7th June 2019), Tintin (8th June 2019), ulli (15th June 2019), Valerie Villars (6th June 2019)

3. Link to Post #102
    Australia On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,551 times in 3,482 posts

Quote Posted by Did You See Them (here)
    EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Belmarsh Prison Inmate Provides Photos of Julian Assange, Says the ‘Internet is the One Thing They Can’t Control’

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/201...-cant-control/
    I’m suspicious about this story. Keeping in mind that this case can be won or lost due to public opinion/pressure (no faith in a fair trial) and that it came out shortly after Nils Melzer’s damning report, and before that the news that Julian had been hospitalised. This caused a surge of public outcry and a sense of urgency from his supporters.

Ok, and now RT has published this video -

The photos first released are screen shots from that video. We see Julian having social interaction, chatting and smiling (window and a couple of books). This comforts his concerned supporters, it’s not quite as bad as we had feared, while it gives anti-Assange folks reason to see he’s not as sick as has been reported. Suspicious timing but here’s where **** doesn’t add up for me...

Note the date on the footage. It’s wrong, sure, and perhaps this can happen with a phone under certain circumstances (no sim at the time, whatever) but when has anyone ever seen a phone camera display the date on the video footage? I’ve never seen that, I’ve only seen that on video cameras (on vid cams the date needs to be set and you can easily choose to set it to display date or not).

I don’t think this was filmed on a contraband phone, I think it was a hidden video camera. So at this point I was thinking the prisoner was lying or it wasn’t a prisoner but a guard who filmed it.

Note also the last little clip in the video of Julian’s cell, the time stamp read 4:11 and the stamp on the first part of the video is 5:53. The times are wrong but the duration shows the duration as spanning almost two hours, the inmates can only leave their cell for one hour per day. The person filming the cell at he end of the vid, earliest on the time stamp, is alone. A lot of questions there but this is another factor that causes me to think it was a guard.

But here’s where it gets weirder and far more confusing for myself personally. When I watched the RT video earlier this morning, the date stamp was bigger and yellow (like we saw all the time on older video cameras) and the man Julian was talking to wasn’t blurred out. Not long ago I noticed this had changed to what we see now. I didn’t take screenshots so I can’t prove it and I’m even starting to doubt myself now because it’s confusing, I don’t get why they would have done that, but I’m sure I saw that.

So IDK what’s going on here but I’m calling BS unless someone can explain the presence of a date and time stamp on a video recorded on a phone. The photos that were first released are cropped, so we can’t see if there was a date stamp on those. Did the inmate lie about the photos being from a phone? Was it a guard with a hidden camera? Did RT put the time stamp on, and if so, why? No way of knowing that without proof I suppose.

Maybe Julian knows who filmed this and with what because at one point it appears that he spots the camera and after that it appears he’s tries to subtly check it out. Anyway, worth noting, keeping a critical eye out on things like this that shift public perception.

I know nobody wants to hear it, we love The Intercept, but I swear Glenn Greenwald is a shill (suspected it after Reality Winner got arrested and certain after a recent interview about Julian). Same with Laura Poitras who made the documentary, “Risk”. They’re colleagues and are sowing seeds of doubt about whether or not Julian can be trusted (their BS line - Assange will use intel agency tactics to survive). You don’t have to believe me, just watch...until Julian is free or jailed for life, Julian’s enemies will be working to turn the public against him, it’s subtle but powerful, and Greenwald and Poitras are shills, and there will be others.

If they’re successful, very few will give a **** about Julian by the time they lock him away.

It’s a fight for our perception and the prize is Julian and the fall of WikiLeaks, don’t be fooled.
    Last edited by Innocent Warrior; 8th June 2019 at 01:58. Reason: Clarified
    Never give up on your silly, silly dreams.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little BIGGER, darling.

4. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Innocent Warrior For This Post:

avid (8th June 2019), Ba-ba-Ra (11th June 2019), Billy (8th June 2019), BMJ (9th June 2019), Constance (8th June 2019), Debra (8th June 2019), Hervé (9th June 2019), Ivanhoe (11th June 2019), Mike (11th June 2019), Omi (12th June 2019), Pam (8th June 2019), Philippe (8th June 2019), ThePythonicCow (8th June 2019), Tintin (8th June 2019), ulli (15th June 2019), Valerie Villars (8th June 2019), Wind (9th June 2019)

5. Link to Post #103
    Indonesia Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,615 times in 274 posts

2 possibilities -
    1. the date stamp on the camera has no proper date set, and left to default settings (from date of purchase or factory settings).
    2. As JS had previously reported, he was taken out of the embassy before the trump election and the blackout, had not been seen on the balcony since, placed in this facility, and hence the video with the correct date recorded his presence. He was then brought back for the extraction hoax show drugged up.

I sure hope it was the 1st possibility.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to spade For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (11th June 2019), BMJ (9th June 2019), Hervé (9th June 2019), Kryztian (8th June 2019), Mike (11th June 2019), Pam (11th June 2019), Tintin (11th June 2019), Valerie Villars (11th June 2019)

7. Link to Post #104
    UK Moderator/Librarian/Administrator Tintin's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 46,611 times in 5,415 posts

"Thordarsson stole tens of thousands of dollars from WikiLeaks, and impersonated Julian Assange in order to carry out the embezzlement."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Latest (sic) news - presumably - from WikiLeaks' own news page which can be viewed here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

US DoJ preparing to file additional indictment against Julian Assange based on testimony by convicted conman
    07 June 2019

The star witness in the pending new indictment of the US DoJ against Julian Assange is a convicted fraudster and FBI informant Sigurdur Thordarson.

The United States Department of Justice is preparing a new superseding indictment against WikiLeaks publisher Julian Assange before the extradition deadline on June 14th.

Dutch public broadcaster NOS reported that Sigurdur Thordarson was flown to the United States last week where he was "comprehensively interrogiated", in preparation for the filing of a new superseding indictment against Julian Assange by the end of next week.

NOS reported that on May 6th this, FBI Special Agent Megan Brown, who leads the FBI investigation against Assange, travelled to Iceland together with prosecutor Kellen Dwyer from the Eastern District of Virginia, to re-interrogiate FBI informant Thordarson with the help of Icelandic police. Dwyer's cut-and-paste error led to revelation in November 2018 that the Department of Justice had indicted Assange.

On May 27th, US authorities flew Sigurdur Thordarson to Washington D.C. for further interrogiations, where he remained until June 1.

Kristinn Hrafnsson, editor-in-chief of WikiLeaks:
    "The Trump administration is so desperate to build its case against WikiLeaks publisher Julian Assange that it is using a diagnosed sociopath, a convicted conman and sex criminal, who was exposed by the highest levels of the Icelandic government as an FBI informant and who was involved in an entrapment operation in 2011 against Julian Assange."
    Thordarson, who was recently released from prison, agreed to be interrogated to help build a case against Assange. Thordarson had served a three-year sentence for multiple counts of embezzlement and fraud, including against WikiLeaks and sex crimes against nine minors. Thordarsson stole tens of thousands of dollars from WikiLeaks, and impersonated Julian Assange in order to carry out the embezzlement.

As part of the criminal prosecution of Thordarson in Iceland, he was examined by a forensic psychiatrist who diagnosed him as a sociopath.

Thordarson told NOS that the interrogations focused on his own communications with fellow FBI-informant Hector Monsegut (aka "SABU"). These contacts involve an operation by the FBI that was exposed as an "entrapment" operation "against Julian Assange" by the Interior Minister of Iceland, Ogmundur Jonasson, as reported by the Daily Mail in 2013.

While the case would collapse in the U.S. due to the prosecution's reliance on testimony by Thordarson and Monsegur, who are not credible witnesses, the United States can conceal their witnesses identities during UK extradition proceedings in order to boost their chances of winning. This will make it impossible for Assange to challenge the credibility of the witnesses during UK extradition proceedings, which will commence on 14 June.

In 2011, the Icelandic government expelled "eight or nine" FBI agents and prosecutors who had flown from the Eastern District of Virginia because they were conducting unauthorised activities on Icelandic soil against Assange and WikiLeaks. The episode was reported in the New York Times in 2013.

By contrast, the current Icelandic government has cooperated with the Trump Administration's efforts to build a case against WikiLeaks.

Kristinn Hrafnsson, editor of WikiLeaks, yesterday sent a letter demanding an explanation from Icelandic Prime Minister Katrin Jakobsdottir, Foreign Minister Guolaugur Por Poroarson, Justice Minister Pordis Kolbrun Gylfadottir, Chief of the National Police Haraldur Johannessen, and General Procescutor Sigriour J. Friojonsdottir regarding the Icelandic governments participation in what is widely recognised to be a US-led political persecution against foreign members of the press including Icelandic citizens, for their role in exposing war crimes and other illegal activities during consecutive US administrations.

Last week, the UN Special Rapporteur on Torture Nils Melzer presented his findings that a "collective persecution" is underway against Assange, after having conducted an investigation into the situation of the WikiLeaks publisher, who is arbitrarily detained in Belmarsh prison in London.

The rapporteur told Australian public radio ABC that Assange's health was in serious decline and that there is a "very real" risk that he could die in prison.

The first substantive US extradition hearing will be held in London on 14 June.
    “If a man does not keep pace with [fall into line with] his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.” - Thoreau

8. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Tintin For This Post:

avid (11th June 2019), Ba-ba-Ra (11th June 2019), Bill Ryan (15th June 2019), BMJ (14th June 2019), Hervé (11th June 2019), Innocent Warrior (11th June 2019), Mike (11th June 2019), Omi (12th June 2019), Pam (11th June 2019), Satori (11th June 2019), ThePythonicCow (11th June 2019), ulli (15th June 2019), Valerie Villars (11th June 2019)

9. Link to Post #105
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks

British Home Secretary signs extradition order to send Julian Assange to US

RT

Published time: 13 Jun, 2019 09:02

Edited time: 13 Jun, 2019 10:33
    Get short URL

© Global Look Press / /ZUMAPRESS.com / Wiktor Szymanowicz; © REUTERS/Henry Nicholls

Britain's Home Secretary has revealed he has signed a request for the extradition of WikiLeaks co-founder Julian Assange to the US, where he is accused of violating the Espionage Act.

Speaking on BBC Radio 4’s Today program, Sajid Javid said that he signed and certified the papers on Wednesday, with the order going before the UK courts on Friday.
    He’s rightly behind bars. There’s an extradition request from the US that is before the courts tomorrow but yesterday I signed the extradition order and certified it and that will be going in front of the courts tomorrow.
    The US justice department has filed 17 new charges against the Australian journalist. In May, he was additionally charged with one count of conspiring with Chelsea Manning, the former intelligence analyst and whistleblower, to gain access to the US Pentagon network.

Assange is currently serving a prison sentence in the UK for jumping bail. The 47 year-old was too ill to appear last month at the latest hearing at Westminster magistrates court in relation to the US request.

The hearing has been rescheduled for Friday and, depending on the state of his health, may take place at Belmarsh prison, where he is being held.

The journalist spent over six years living under asylum in the Ecuadorian Embassy in London, out of fear Britain would hand him over to the US. He was forcibly dragged out of the building in April after the South American nation decided to evict him.

His arrest and subsequent imprisonment prompted much public outcry. Human rights activist Peter Tatchell believes a near maximum sentence of “50 weeks is excessive and disproportionate.”

The WikiLeaks co-founder’s health has been of particular concern to his supporters. His lawyer, Per Samuelson, told reporters after visiting Belmarsh at the end of May that “Assange’s health situation... was such that it was not possible to conduct a normal conversation with him.”

The UN Special Rapporteur on Torture, Nils Melzer, who visited Assange in Belmarsh, claimed that he showed clear signs of degrading and inhumane treatment, which only added to his deteriorating health.

The publishing of the Iraq War footage showing a US Apache helicopter shooting dead 12 people, including two Reuters staff, is one of the most significant and talked-about exposures made by his WikiLeaks organization.

Just one week before Hillary Clinton became the Democratic Party’s nominee for president in 2016, WikiLeaks released thousands of emails showing that top party figures had collaborated to ensure that Senator Bernie Sanders did not win the nomination. The leaks forced DNC chair Debbie Wasserman-Schultz to resign.

Related:

10. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

avid (13th June 2019), Ba-ba-Ra (13th June 2019), Bill Ryan (15th June 2019), BMJ (14th June 2019), Dennis Leahy (14th June 2019), Franny (14th June 2019), Ivanhoe (13th June 2019), Kryztian (15th June 2019), Omi (15th June 2019), Pam (15th June 2019), ThePythonicCow (13th June 2019), Tintin (13th June 2019), ulli (13th June 2019), Wind (13th June 2019)

11. Link to Post #106
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,349 times in 1,707 posts

Julian Assange to appear in court after Javid signs US extradition request

Quote:
    Javid said: “It is a decision ultimately for the courts, but there is a very important part of it for the home secretary and I want to see justice done at all times and we’ve got a legitimate extradition request, so I’ve signed it, but the final decision is now with the courts.”

The 47-year-old Australian was too ill to appear last month at a hearing at Westminster magistrates court in relation to the US request. The hearing has been rescheduled for Friday, and depending on Assange’s condition, may take place at Belmarsh prison where he is being held.

Link: https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...zen.yandex.com
    In hoc signo vinces / In this sign thou shalt conquer

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BMJ For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (15th June 2019), Bill Ryan (15th June 2019), Pam (15th June 2019), Tintin (15th June 2019)

13. Link to Post #107
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,312 times in 617 posts

This feels like they are dragging this out as long as possible to keep in him Belmarsh. It seems they want him to die there so no extradition takes place. This is also how they can control a dead man switch event.

It wouldnt surprise that if he dies, we dont actually find out about it so they can gauge a dead man event( I really hope Assange has a dead man switch) and we find out later than when it actually occurs.

This will allow Qult people to pretend Donald is not actually a pawn because technically extradition didnt happen, even though his admin has requested it. They will claim that they were trying to extradite for safety so they could finally drain the swam or whatever.

14. Link to Post #108
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,304 times in 950 posts

The Guardian : Julian Assange to face US extradition hearing in UK next year (February 2020)

Quote Julian Assange will face a five-day US extradition hearing in February next year, a judge has ruled.

The WikiLeaks founder faces an 18-count indictment, issued by the US Department of Justice, that includes charges under the Espionage Act.

At Westminster magistrates court on Friday, the chief magistrate, Emma Arbuthnot, ordered that a full extradition hearing should begin on 25 February.

Ben Brandon, representing the US, formally opened the case, a day after an extradition request was signed off by the home secretary, Sajid Javid.

“This is related to one of the largest compromises of confidential information in the history of the United States,” Brandon told the court.

As Brandon ran through a summary of the accusations against Assange, including that he had cracked a US defence network password, Assange, appearing by video link, protested: “I didn’t break any password whatsoever.”

Assange, 47, who was dressed in a grey T-shirt, had a white beard and was wearing black-framed glasses, said 175 years of his life was at stake and defended his website against hacking claims, saying: “WikiLeaks is nothing but a publisher.”

His lawyer, Mark Summers QC, described the case as “an outrageous and full-frontal assault on journalistic rights”

His legal team also said he was challenging the 50-week sentence in Britain for skipping bail he is serving after he spent seven years in the Ecuadorian embassy in London attempting to avoid extradition to Sweden.

Assange is accused in the US of soliciting and publishing classified information and conspiring to hack into a government computer.

Outside the court, his supporters protested against the UK’s treatment of him. A crowd of around a dozen people held banners, with some chanting “Justice for Julian Assange” and “Defend freedom and democracy.”
    Financial Times : UK court to decide on Assange extradition to US in February

Quote A London court will decide in February whether WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange can be extradited to the US to face 18 criminal charges in connection with the leak of thousands of classified documents relating to US military activity in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Assange appeared at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Friday by video link from Belmarsh prison, where he is currently serving a 50-week sentence for skipping bail and fleeing to the Ecuadorean embassy in London in 2012.

Assange is fighting the US extradition request which was certified by UK home secretary Sajid Javid on Thursday — although the final decision will rest with the British courts.

Wearing a grey T-shirt and glasses, Assange told the London court that “175 years of my life is effectively at stake” and said he had not seen the latest indictment containing 18 US allegations against him.

These include one count of computer hacking as well as 17 charges accusing him of violating the Espionage Act. These carry a maximum penalty of 10 years for each offence.

Ben Brandon, the barrister acting for the US government, told the hearing that the 18 charges covered “one of the largest compromises of classified information in the history of the United States”, and claimed that Assange’s actions had created a “grave risk” for human intelligence sources, including human rights defenders.

Speaking from prison, Assange asked the court to clarify the US allegations that claim he “cracked a password” on a US defence department computer network. He insisted he had not hacked any password and defended WikiLeaks as nothing more than a “publisher”.

Mark Summers QC, Assange’s lawyer, told the court that the case raised “profound issues” and represented an “outrageous and full frontal assault on journalistic rights”.

The court heard that Assange’s lawyers had to post documents to him because he had no access to a computer at the prison.

The case has raised concerns in the US about press freedom and protections for those who publish leaked classified information.

Dozens of Assange supporters gathered outside the court on Friday, chanting and holding banners to protest against his extradition.

At next year’s hearing Assange is likely to argue that his removal to the US breaches his human rights. The US-UK extradition treaty has a standard exception for so-called political offences, which typically includes espionage.

Westminster Magistrates’ Court does not need to decide his innocence or guilt but simply whether the case meets the legal test for extradition. Assange can then challenge any ruling through a lengthy appeals process.

Assange also faces rape charges in Sweden, but this month a Swedish court declined to arrest him in his absence, ruling that he should be questioned in the UK over the allegations rather than extradited to Sweden. He will next appear in court in October.
    Last edited by Clear Light; 15th June 2019 at 14:23. Reason: Added second news report

15. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Clear Light For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (15th June 2019), bandix (15th June 2019), Bill Ryan (15th June 2019), BMJ (15th June 2019), meeradas (15th June 2019), onawah (18th June 2019), Philippe (15th June 2019), ThePythonicCow (15th June 2019), Wind (15th June 2019)

16. Link to Post #109
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,435 times in 21,490 posts

Quote Posted by Clear Light (here)
    The Guardian : Julian Assange to face US extradition hearing in UK next year (February 2020)

Quote Julian Assange will face a five-day US extradition hearing in February next year, a judge has ruled.
    Next f'n year - an inhumane delay - leaving Assange locked up in Belmarsh mean while.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

17. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

avid (15th June 2019), Ba-ba-Ra (15th June 2019), Bill Ryan (15th June 2019), BMJ (16th June 2019), Clear Light (15th June 2019), Dennis Leahy (18th June 2019), Kryztian (15th June 2019), onawah (18th June 2019), ulli (15th June 2019), Wind (16th June 2019)

18. Link to Post #110
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,308 times in 5,717 posts

Quote Posted by Paul (here)
    Quote Posted by Clear Light (here)

Next f'n year - an inhumane delay - leaving Assange locked up in Belmarsh mean while.
    Inhumanity and trauma is not an individual problem. The information in this video is indicative of the insanity that has been normalized and the cruelty embedded in the social fabric.

EP.761: Dr. Gabor Maté- Julian Assange is Guilty of TELLING THE TRUTH!

Is it OK to go after journalists for telling an unwelcome truth? If we don't support Assange, I think our complicity gives this idea social credit?

Last edited by Delight; 18th June 2019 at 03:39.

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Delight For This Post:

avid (18th June 2019), BMJ (18th June 2019), Dennis Leahy (18th June 2019), meeradas (18th June 2019), onawah (18th June 2019), Wind (18th June 2019)

20. Link to Post #111
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,316 times in 2,099 posts

UN Rapporteur on Torture Nils Melzer Becomes One of Assange’s Most Vocal Advocates

“Here [in Assange’s case] we are not speaking of prosecution but of persecution. That means that judicial power, institutions and proceedings are being deliberately abused for ulterior motives.” — Nils Melzer, UN Rapporteur on Torture

On May 9, UN Rapporteur on Torture Nils Melzer, visited WikiLeaks founder and journalist Julian Assange at Belmarsh Prison, where he is currently serving a 50-week prison sentence for a minor bail violation. Melzer was accompanied by two medical experts who specialize in the examination of possible victims of torture as well as the documentation of symptoms, both physical and psychological. The team was able to speak with Assange and conduct a medical assessment following a set of guidelines known as “The Istanbul Protocol,” a tool designed to help UN workers and others investigate, document, and report incidents of torture and ill-treatment.

The results were shocking.

According to Melzer, the evidence is overwhelming that Assange has been “deliberately exposed, for a period of several years, to progressively [more] severe forms of cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment,” the effects of which he described as psychological torture. Melzer also found that Assange has been exposed to:

Quote persistent, progressively [more] severe abuse ranging from systematic judicial persecution and arbitrary confinement in the Ecuadorian embassy, to his oppressive isolation, harassment and surveillance inside the embassy; and from deliberate collective ridicule, insults and humiliation, to open instigation of violence and even repeated calls for his assassination.”
    The UN Rapporteur admitted that he had been reluctant to investigate Assange’s case, not because he felt that Assange was a “bad actor” but rather because he had been “affected by the same misguided smear campaign as everybody else.” But as he delved deeper into the case he found that Assange had been subjected to a “relentless and unrestrained campaign of public mobbing, intimidation and defamation,” during which time no government involved tried to intervene or protect him.

Quote In 20 years of work with victims of war, violence and political persecution I have never seen a group of democratic States ganging up to deliberately isolate, demonise and abuse a single individual for such a long time and with so little regard for human dignity and the rule of law.” (UN release)
    As a result of the limited number of outside influences to which Assange was exposed, as well as his confinement to a small, controlled environment within the Ecuadorian Embassy in London for more than seven years, Melzer believes that it’s possible to determine the causes of Assange’s symptoms with a high degree of certainty. He found that four nations have “contributed to medical effects” that Melzer and his team observed: Sweden, the U.K., Ecuador, and the U.S.

A UN statement about Melzer’s findings was released on May 31, and since that time Melzer has become one of Assange’s most active and vocal advocates, taking part in well over a dozen interviews about his health, legal difficulties, judicial bias, and more. Below is a summary of 12 different interviews he has given over approximately the last three weeks.

Sweden

Melzer has frequently spoken about the “elephant in the room,” which he describes as the United States’ attempts to have Assange extradited in order to make an example out of him. Essentially every judicial proceeding Assange has faced since 2010 has revolved around this threat.

His legal troubles began in August 2010, when Sweden opened an investigation into allegations of sexual misconduct, including rape and molestation. However, rather than contact Assange directly for questioning, Swedish authorities publicized the case despite the fact that Swedish law strictly prohibited them from doing so. Upon learning about the investigation, Assange immediately went to the police and made a statement, after which the case was closed owing to a lack of evidence.

Days later the case was reopened by a different prosecutor and Assange remained in Sweden until the end of September in order to assist with their investigation. On September 15, 2010, Swedish prosecutor Marianne Ny granted Assange permission to leave the country; so, despite an almost decade-old narrative that Assange “fled” Swedish charges (he was never charged) by hiding out in the Ecuadorian Embassy in London, that is absolutely and categorically not true.

It’s also important to note that, when Assange left Sweden, authorities seized his belongings at the airport, including a laptop and other electronics; at which point, had the Swedish prosecutor been so inclined to keep him in the country for questioning, they could have seized him right then and there. Instead, they allowed him to leave.

Once Assange was in the U.K., Sweden requested that he return for questioning, which aroused suspicion owing to the fact that, as Melzer pointed out, the country has a history of cooperating with the U.S. government and turning people over to it without due process, some of whom were rendered and later tortured. Assange feared, correctly, that the “elephant in the room” lay hidden behind Sweden’s request.

He offered to cooperate with Swedish officials if they would guarantee no extradition but they refused to do so, a disingenuous move that not only prevented Assange from defending himself but made clear how little Swedish authorities respected or, perhaps, believed the alleged victims’ stories. Assange also offered to be questioned by video link but they declined.

After the U.K. Supreme Court upheld a Swedish extradition request (over questioning in the case, not charges) in May 2012, Assange, again, under the credible fear that Sweden would extradite him to the U.S., entered the Ecuadorian Embassy in London, where he sought asylum for political persecution.

He continued to try to assist Swedish officials and offered to be questioned at the Embassy but Sweden refused, despite having previously questioned at least 44 other individuals by video link or traveling for in-person interviews. The Swedish government’s outlandish refusals only fueled speculation that it was working on behalf of the United States. The investigation was finally closed in 2017, but was resurrected by Swedish officials last month.

Melzer points out that the reopened case is not about a violent and/or forced sexual encounter but rather the allegation that Assange purposely tore a condom during consensual sexual relations. The condom was later examined by authorities, who were unable to detect any DNA on it, including Assange’s. This is what Sweden describes as “rape,” and what it has used repeatedly to publicly characterize Assange as a rapist.

Emails between the U.K.’s Crown Prosecution Services (CPS) and Sweden also show that the U.K. pressured Marianne Ny to keep the investigation going despite the fact that there have never been any charges or evidence, leading Melzer to suggest that there are alternative motives behind the case.

Sweden made it impossible for Assange to cooperate without risking being extradited to the U.S., while his reputation, credibility, and human dignity have been “gravely affected by these allegations,” reported Melzer. As stated earlier, the case was reopened last month, making it virtually impossible to believe that this isn’t about the “elephant in the room.”

Almost 10 years of judicial and public abuse

Since WikiLeaks published “Collateral Murder” and the Iraq and Afghanistan War Logs in 2010, Melzer reported that there has been a “sustained and concerted effort by several States” to get Assange extradited to the U.S., and an “endless stream of humiliating, debasing and threatening statements in the press and on social media.” Inappropriate statements have also been made by “senior political figures and even by judicial magistrates involved in proceedings against Assange.”

Reuters reported that Melzer “declined to identify judges or senior politicians whom he accused of defaming Assange,” but you don’t have to look very far to find them:

According to Melzer, all of this has led up to a level of stress that would be unbearable for anyone and, as he put it:

Quote Here we are not speaking of prosecution but of persecution. That means that judicial power, institutions and proceedings are being deliberately abused for ulterior motives.”
    The UN Rapporteur repeatedly condemned Assange’s treatment in various interviews, stating that he is “appalled at the sustained and concerted abuse this man has been exposed to at the hand of several democratic States over a period of almost a decade.” Although Ecuador’s abuse of Assange didn’t start until Lenin Moreno came to power in 2017, since that time government officials deliberately harassed him in an attempt to get him to leave the embassy or to “trigger a health crisis that would justify his expulsion” from the embassy and into British hands.

Neither of those things occurred but President Moreno did expel him from the embassy and suspend his Ecuadorian citizenship without due process of law on April 11, 2019.

The torture of Julian Assange
    According to Melzer, Assange has been gravely affected “by the extremely hostile and arbitrary environment he’s been exposed to” over a long period of time and the “evidence is overwhelming and clear” that he is being psychologically tortured, confirming what many already believed or reported.

Melzer and his team determined that Assange is also suffering from severe post-traumatic stress disorder, with symptoms of “chronic anxiety, permanent severe stress and agitation” (no relaxation or satisfactory sleep for months, possibly years).

During Melzer’s meeting with Assange, the UN Rapporteur found him to be “agitated, under severe stress, and unable to cope with his complex legal cases,” and since his imprisonment, his ability to focus has been compromised. He was also “extremely jumpy,” and Melzer found it difficult to have a “structured” conversation with him.

Britain Sweden Julian Assange

Assange’s concern was that he couldn’t rely on fair judicial proceedings in either the U.S. or Sweden and that he had no means or time to prepare for the “multiple, complex legal proceedings that are expanding as we speak,” Melzer said. This — accompanied by the hostile, degrading, and humiliating treatment he’s been subjected to, consistently, for almost a decade — has led to “severe stress…and psychological trauma.”

The psychiatrists that accompanied Melzer to the prison noted that Assange needs access to a psychiatrist who isn’t part of the prison system — someone he can trust — and that “if he doesn’t get that and if the pressure on him is not alleviated rapidly,” further deterioration could occur and prolonged effects could result in permanent damage such as irreversible cardiovascular damage — or worse.

Assange’s condition is extremely serious and when he was asked whether Assange could actually die in prison if his calls are ignored, Melzer responded:

Quote Absolutely. Yes, that’s a fear that I think is very real…it has to stop here and it has to stop now.”

The concept of (dis)proportional treatment

During Melzer’s interview with Going Underground, he explained the concept of proportional treatment and how it has factored into Assange’s case. Proportionality is best described as the idea that the severity of the punishment should fit the seriousness of the crime, a concept that has not been applied throughout Assange’s judicial proceedings.

Take, for instance, Sweden’s reopening of its investigation of Assange. As previously stated, he was accused of ripping a condom during a consensual sexual encounter, yet no DNA was ever found on the condom and no evidence suggests this happened. This is what Sweden has used to cast him as a rapist in the public’s eye, despite the presumption of innocence and Swedish law forbidding the government to expose details about the case, such as the accused’s identity.

The UN Rapporteur — a Swiss academic and law professor at the University of Glasgow who has authored several books on international law — explained that any prosecutor confronted with this case would likely conclude that the condom looked planted, owing to the absence of any witnesses (except Assange and the woman), any evidence of physical harm, any DNA, and any transfer of STDs. Melzer stated:

Quote There is no evidence and the prosecutor will know from the beginning, it’s predictable that Julian Assange will have to be acquitted because of presumption of innocence…In these circumstances it is disproportionate to pursue this preliminary investigation for almost a decade.”
    Meanwhile, as noted above, Sweden refused to guarantee that it wouldn’t extradite Assange; refused to question him in such a manner that would guarantee his safety, such as by video link or in person at the embassy in London; and refused to do so despite having conducted similar interviews with individuals under investigation in the same manner. Sweden also refused without explanation.

Then, on April 11, 2019, Ecuador’s President Lenin Moreno expelled Assange from the Ecuadorian Embassy with no due process, while he was “unconstitutionally stripped of his citizenship.” Moreno’s decision led to Assange’s arrest by British authorities and Melzer questioned, “What country can [deny you] asylum and citizenship without due process?”

Within three hours of his arrest, Assange was brought to court for a hearing, for which he was granted a mere 15 minutes to prepare with his attorneys, the same amount of time that the hearing lasted. While in front of the judge, his lawyer tried to object based on the “strong conflict of interest” on the part of the judge, who had previously upheld Sweden’s arrest warrant (culminating in the bail violation) and would be overseeing Assange’s extradition case. They asked that the conflict be investigated.

In an extraordinary display of bias and unprofessionalism — perhaps even judicial misconduct — the judge refused to take into account the conflict of interest as well as Assange’s credible fear of being extradited and the fact that Ecuador had given him political asylum, which it contravenes the UNHCR Cessation Clauses to revoke while the threat that gave rise to it remains. Instead, he called Assange a “narcissist” and sentenced him to 50 weeks in a high-security prison for a minor bail violation — and that is the epitome of disproportionality.

Melzer believes that:

Quote We all have to take a step back and ask if all of these proceedings are fair…we also have to take a step back and ask if the narrative is right — rapist, narcissist, selfish, ungrateful, hacker — and scratch the surface a bit and see what’s underneath there.”
    U.K. complicity in Assange’s torture

Melzer noted, as we all have, that Assange’s extradition case is being handled by Emma Arbuthnot, the same judge who refused to withdraw Sweden’s 2010 arrest warrant last year despite the fact that the investigation had already been closed. She’s also married to Lord Arbuthnot — the former U.K. minister of defense; former chairman of the defense committee; director of SC Strategy, which is owned by the former head of MI6; and a member of the advisory board for Thales, one of the largest arms manufacturers and dealers in the world.

What makes this situation even more questionable is the fact that Lord Arbuthnot was exposed in WikiLeaks’ publications and that alone — the fact that a judge with such a gross conflict of interest as this has been allowed to sit for not one, but two of Assange’s cases — contributes to the psychological torture, intense stress, and anxiety he’s already experiencing, explained Melzer.

Melzer’s belief is that the U.K. government has “failed to show impartiality and objectivity towards Mr. Assange that is required under the rule of law,” and his concern is that if the government fails to investigate “inappropriate statements, conflicts of interest,” or other sources of bias, his extradition hearing will be nothing more than a “fig leaf for his already pre-judged refoulement [the forced transfer of refugees to a country that is likely to persecute them] to the United States.”

Besides judicial bias and persecution, the U.K. is currently limiting Assange’s access to case documents, as well as to his lawyers, which obstructs his ability to prepare a proper defense. Apparently, he’s not even allowed to have legal documents in his prison cell, nor a computer to work on so he can stay in contact with his attorneys and draft statements.

Multiple legal proceedings that are “piling up” add to Assange’s stress and inability to cope with the demands of his proceedings, stated Melzer, who concluded: “Human Rights law requires that the defendant get enough time to prepare his defense.”

Extradition to the United States

Melzer’s greatest concern about Assange being extradited to the United States is that he will not receive a fair trial and that he’ll be “exposed to a real risk of serious violations of his human rights,” including but not limited to torture and cruel and unusual punishment. He believes that Assange would likely be “subjected to prolonged solitary confinement, to very harsh detention conditions, and to a psychological environment which would break him eventually.”

Assange is currently facing 18 charges in the United States, 17 of which fall under the Espionage Act for doing what journalists do everyday. Melzer believes that “the main narrative in this affair really is the United States wanting to make an example of Mr. Assange in order to deter other people from following his example.”

Britain WikiLeaks Assange

Wikileaks editor Kristinn Hrafnnson speaks to the media ahead of a court hearing over a U.S. request to extradite Assange, May 2, 2019 Frank Augstein | AP
    Subjecting Assange to a harsh sentence, severe prison conditions, and solitary confinement for journalism “amounts to cruel and unusual punishment and [is] in violation of international law as well as the Eighth Amendment of the Constitution,” said Melzer. And prosecuting him for doing what every good investigative journalist and publisher does would be a gross violation of the First Amendment.

The meaning of a fair trial
    During his interview with Chris Hedges on RT’s program On Contact, Melzer explained what is meant by a “fair trial” and why he doesn’t think Assange will get one in the United States. First, a fair trial requires that the accused is presumed innocent until proven guilty, but Melzer argues that both public and political opinion has been so tainted against him that it seems absurd to think that Assange would be afforded due process, that his rights would be protected, or that he would face an unbiased judge and jury.

Second, a fair trial requires equality before the law but when the government fails to prosecute those who commit war crimes while prosecuting those who expose them, there is no equality before the law.

As Melzer pointed out, no U.S. officials or military soldiers have ever been charged for gunning down innocent Iraqis, including children, and two Reuters journalists during a 2007 Baghdad airstrike, a crime that was exposed in WikiLeaks’ “Collateral Murder” video. Additionally, no one has been charged for the CIA’s torture program despite the U.S. government’s obligations under the Convention Against Torture. It’s hardly surprising then that the United States has a dismal track record when it comes to enforcing the prohibition of torture. “The only person being prosecuted here seems to be the one that actually exposed all of these crimes,” stated Melzer:

Quote The government really loses any credibility…that’s where — why I say prosecution then becomes persecution because there is no longer the rule of law… These are proceedings that are fundamentally skewed against the defendant.”
    As an example of equality under the law, Melzer pointed to two Reuters journalists who had been imprisoned in Myanmar for exposing the massacre of 10 Muslims by Myanmar’s military. Although they were sentenced to 10 years in prison, the soldiers were also prosecuted and sentenced. Both were also later pardoned. But in Assange’s case, one needs only to look at the treatment (torture) and sentencing (35 years in prison) of Chelsea Manning, the whistleblower who leaked U.S. government crimes — and the fact that no one has ever been charged for those crimes — to realize that it’s “utterly unrealistic” to think Assange might be given a fair trial, acquitted, or given a light sentence.

When asked if he thought Assange had committed a crime, Melzer responded that he didn’t think so: although one could try and build a case against him for trying to help someone (unsuccessfully) break a code, “it’s a bit like charging someone for trying to exceed the speed limit but not succeeding because the car is too weak.”

Australia

Even Australia isn’t off the hook, according to Melzer, who believes that they have been a “glaring absentee” in Assange’s case. He stated that they have failed to “take steps to protect their national — certainly not from justified criminal prosecution — but to protect him from this kind of excessive, almost persecution that he’s experiencing currently.”

Media culpability and the threat to a free press
    Melzer admits that he was reluctant to investigate Assange’s case because he had been affected by media propaganda and that it wasn’t until he started to “scratch the surface” of it that he realized how little substance there was to the stories — but how much spin and manipulation lay beneath.

He urged everyone to look deeper into the case and warned us that we have been deliberately misled about Assange. From The Canary:

Quote The predominant image of the shady ‘hacker,’ ‘sex offender,’ and selfish ‘narcissist’ has been carefully constructed, disseminated and recycled in order to divert attention from the extremely powerful truths he exposed…”
    It can’t be emphasized enough how insightful Melzer’s interview with The Canary was in terms of the media’s accountability and how Assange’s case will affect a free and protected press:

Quote In today’s information age, the media have an extraordinary power to shape public opinion…The media are a veritable ‘fourth power’ in the state next to the traditional branches of government, controlling not only what is said and shown, but also what is not disseminated…media outlets and individual journalists…have contributed significantly to spreading abusive and deliberately distorted narratives about Mr. Assange.”
    Melzer went on to say that the media has failed to challenge governments or hold officials accountable for criminality and corruption and that they have created conditions that are ripe for violating Assange’s “most fundamental rights without provoking public outrage.”

He warned against Assange’s extradition in the UN’s released statement because it would raise concerns over the criminalization of investigative journalism, and in The Canary interview he stated that it would “establish a dangerous precedent of impunity threatening freedom of press and opinion worldwide.”

Melzer’s recommendations

Since his medical assessment of Assange, Melzer has sent out four official letters to Sweden, the U.K., Ecuador, and the United States urging them to “refrain from further disseminating, instigating or tolerating statements or other activities prejudicial to Assange’s human rights and dignity.” He also asked that they take measures to provide Assange redress and rehabilitation and that he not be extradited to the U.S. or any country that refuses to guarantee no extradition.

All our countries have violated the Convention on Torture and are directly involved in the “sustained and concerted abuse” inflicted on Assange. Melzer believes that if Assange has really committed a crime, he has the right to develop a defense with his attorneys and a guarantee that his rights will be protected. The UN Rapporteur would also like to see an “independent observation” on how Assange’s judicial proceedings are handled, as well as his health stabilized, and that he be given time to recover before having to face the monumental court proceedings ahead of him.

Melzer’s personal belief is that Assange should be released, compensated, and rehabilitated by the four involved States because he has suffered enough.

Nils Melzer | Julian Assange torture

Nils Melzer after his visit with Julian Assange on May 31, 2019. Photo | Denis Balibouse
    The opinions of Melzer, whether personal or professional, should not be taken lightly. In addition to being appointed UN Special Rapporteur on Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment in 2016, he is the current human rights chair of the Geneva Academy of International Humanitarian Law and Human Rights, and served as a legal adviser, delegate and deputy head of delegation with the Red Cross for 12 years, during which time he worked in conflict zones.

He has an extensive background in humanitarian work and, according to the European Parliament, he specializes in “targeting and the use of force, cyber-conflict and the regulation of private military and security companies.” His focus also includes work on “international legal challenges arising in the contemporary security environment,” and he has authored several books — such as Target Killing In International Law, which examines the legality of targeted killing — as well as academic papers like “Cyberwarfare and International Law,” which discusses the humanitarian aspects of cyberwarfare as well as how international law pertains to it.

To say that Melzer is qualified in his field would be an understatement and his report on Julian Assange and the role that Sweden, the U.K., Ecuador, and the United States have played in the psychological torture and deteriorating condition of Julian Assange should be taken with the seriousness it deserves.

In summary
    The UN Rapporteur on Torture, Nils Melzer, concluded that Julian Assange is and has been for years psychologically tortured and that available evidence strongly suggests Sweden, the U.K., Ecuador, and the United States are responsible for the “sustained and concerted abuse inflicted” upon him. Each of these countries have failed to protect the Australian publisher from “serious abuse, insult, and intimidation by media and other private actors within their jurisdiction.”

Quote By displaying an attitude of complacency at best, and of complicity at worst, these governments have created an atmosphere of impunity encouraging Mr. Assange’s uninhibited vilification and abuse.”
    Additionally, Assange is being denied the right to fair judicial proceedings and due process — including the U.S. secret grand jury indictment; the Swedish government’s continued investigation and dissemination of “Assange is a rapist” propaganda; U.K. judges’ overt bias and conflicts of interest; and lastly, Ecuador’s termination of his asylum status and citizenship. Melzer recently wrote on Twitter:

Quote In U.K. courts #Assange is insulted as a ‘narcissist’; jailed for seeking asylum; facing US extradition for journalism’ prosecuted by CPS known to have instigated his persecution; under a judge with known conflict of interest; under a Govt having prejudged him.”
    As of now, Melzer believes that the most logical explanation for the “sustained systematic failure of the judiciary” under which Assange has suffered is that the U.S. is trying to make an example of him in an effort to deter others from doing what it is that WikiLeaks and Assange do: publishing the truth.

For Melzer, it’s almost inconceivable that there are “so many layers of so profoundly skewed and bias[ed] steps in the judicial proceedings” for this to be a coincidence. He doesn’t believe Assange would receive a fair and impartial trial in the U.S. and the case raises serious concerns about a free press.

“The collective persecution of Julian Assange must end here and now!” declared Melzer.

A full extradition hearing has been set for February 2020.

Feature photo | Menyalastudio | Shutterstock

Jjimmysllama is an independent researcher and writer who provides balanced, critical analysis with a focus on the Boston bombings, Magnitsky Act, and WikiLeaks. She is currently trying to stay warm in the Midwest. You can read more of her work at jimmysllama.com and find her on Twitter at @jimmysllama.

by Jimmysllama

21. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Franny For This Post:

BMJ (27th June 2019), Clear Light (23rd June 2019), Delight (23rd June 2019), Dennis Leahy (23rd June 2019), Ivanhoe (2nd July 2019), meeradas (6th September 2019), panpravda (23rd June 2019), Philippe (23rd June 2019)

22. Link to Post #112
    United States Avalon Member Dennis Leahy's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,583 times in 5,817 posts

The anti-Julian Assange stuff really does not belong in this thread. This thread is about his arrest and extradition. I'll search for a thread to move the off-topic posts to, or will start another thread to put them in.

23. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

avid (2nd July 2019), Bill Ryan (17th July 2019), BMJ (4th July 2019), Carmody (17th July 2019), Constance (3rd July 2019), Kryztian (17th July 2019), Star Tsar (2nd July 2019), Wind (2nd July 2019)

24. Link to Post #113
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,413 times in 3,425 posts

‘Rubbish!’: Correa blasts CNN for claim that Assange made embassy into ‘command post for meddling’

https://www.rt.com/news/464409-corre...sange-embassy/

Former Ecuadorian president Rafael Correa has lashed out at CNN over a report claiming whistleblower Julian Assange turned the country’s embassy in London into a “command post for election meddling,” branding the story “rubbish.”

In a Monday report, CNN alleged that the WikiLeaks founder had used the Ecuadorian embassy, where he lived under asylum for seven years, as a base from which to help Russia “undermine” the 2016 US presidential election. CNN claimed Assange received “in-person deliveries” of potentially “hacked materials” and held “suspicious meetings” with “Russians and world-class hackers.”

A day later, CNN published comments from an interview with Correa in which he said that since Assange was posting information about Hillary Clinton and not Donald Trump, his whistleblowing amounted to "manipulation." This is why Ecuador eventually cut off Assange's internet access in the embassy, Correa said — but he denied there was any cooperation between Assange, Russia and Ecuador to interfere in the US election.

CNN, however, framed the story to fit with its conspiracy narrative of Assange and Quito aiding in Moscow’s alleged interference, with its headline dramatically reading that Correa “confirms” the election meddling. In a tweet promoting the story, the network implied that Correa was aware of the alleged meddling and simply didn't care.

Correa told RT on Wednesday that CNN’s original story about the embassy operating as a “command center” was “rubbish” and that the network was trying to build an untrue narrative of cooperation between Assange and Russia to ensure the public supports his eventual fate.

Quote What CNN and other media are saying is rubbish, but we're used to it. They are prepping for the show. The reason is, when they extradite Assange to the US and sentence him to life, they want the honest backing of the public. They are setting the stage.
    Correa compared CNN's assertions about Assange to its claims about "weapons of mass destruction" in the lead up to the Iraq war in 2003 — media manipulation which was used to make Americans "applaud a war,” he said.

Now, to "justify the assassination of Assange or to extradite him" they are constructing a new narrative about a fake "command center" for election meddling, he said.

Correa also denied claims made by other media that he had a direct telephone line with Assange in the embassy. In reality, he said, he only spoke to Assange once — when the WikiLeaks founder interviewed him for his show on RT.

Correa said that CNN's claims about illicit activities in the London embassy were not confirmed by actual evidence, but based on the report by US Special Counsel Robert Mueller into so-called Russian interference and disproven "collusion" with the Trump campaign.

The former Ecuadorian leader also dismissed claims made by CNN that it was pressure from US authorities that forced Quito to cut off Assange’s internet and phone access.

In Correa’s opinion, Assange was "justified" in publishing damaging material about Clinton because it was "true" — but he also said that publishing about one candidate and not the other was a kind of “manipulation.”

When Assange was arrested by British police and dragged out of the Ecuadorian embassy in April, Correa slammed his successor Lenin Moreno as the “greatest traitor in Ecuadorian and Latin American history” for having “allowed” it to happen, adding that Assange's arrest was "a crime that humanity will never forget.”

CNN even attempted to implicate RT in the whole conspiracy by including in the story a long-debunked theory that this network was in cahoots and “coordinating behind the scenes” with WikiLeaks simply because it reported on a new document dump which was posted on the website before the whistleblowing site tweeted out a link to the information.

25. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Kryztian For This Post:

avid (17th July 2019), Bill Ryan (17th July 2019), Carmody (17th July 2019), Dennis Leahy (1st August 2019), Franny (30th July 2019), Hervé (18th July 2019), Philippe (17th July 2019), Star Tsar (30th July 2019), Tintin (1st August 2019), Valerie Villars (17th July 2019)

26. Link to Post #114
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks

Default Re: Current Wikileaks and Assange News & Releases

VIDEO – Surprise Twist in WikiLeaks Case – London Refuses to Extradite Assange to Country With Death Penalty

By Joaquin Flores Last updated Jul 18, 2019
    London won’t extradite Julian Assange to a country where capital punishment isn’t banned, that is, the USA. Such an unexpected statement was made today by British Deputy Foreign Secretary Alan Duncan. It came with another statement, which was less enjoyable for the founder of WikiLeaks. CNN released the investigation data on Assange’s alleged interference in the U.S. presidential election, meeting with hackers and Nikolay Bogachikhin, head of the RT London office, in the embassy of Ecuador. The latter has already explained why the scoop failed.

– Vesti

27. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

Bill Ryan (19th July 2019), Daughter of Time (18th July 2019), edina (18th July 2019), Forest Denizen (18th July 2019), Kryztian (18th July 2019), Pam (18th July 2019), Satori (19th July 2019), Sophocles (19th July 2019), Tintin (18th July 2019), Valerie Villars (18th July 2019)

28. Link to Post #115
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Rachel's post from April 26th here which has had a link fixed.

Article text here:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Richard Charnin
    April 21, 2019

Mark F. McCarty in Medium.com

“About six months ago, a blogpost by “Publius Tacitus” appeared regarding attorney Ty Clevenger’s FOIA request regarding Seth Rich:
    “But now there is new information that may corroborate what the human sources quoted in the Fox article claimed about Seth’s role in getting the DNC documents to Wikileaks. Borne from a FOIA request filed in November 2017 by attorney Ty Clevenger, who requested any information regarding Seth Rich and Julian Assange. The NSA informed Clevenger in a letter dated 4 October 2018 that:

Your request has been processed under the provisions of the FOIA. Fifteen documents (32 pages) responsive to your request have been reviewed by this Agency as required by the FOIA and have found to be currently and properly classified in accordance with Executive Order 13526. These documents meet the criteria for classification as set forth in Subparagraph © of Section 1.4 and remains classified TOP SECRET and SECRET.”

Here’s what Binney says:

“Ty Clevenger has FOIAed information from NSA asking for any data that involved both Seth Rich and also Julian Assange. And they responded by saying we’ve got 15 files, 32 pages, but they’re all classified in accordance with executive order 13526 covering classification, and therefore you can’t have them.

That says that NSA has records of communications between Seth Rich and Julian Assange. I mean, that’s the only business that NSA is in — copying communications between people and devices.

If Binney is interpreting this correctly — and bear in mind that, not only is he extraordinarily bright, but he is sometimes referred to as “the father of the NSA” — this provides strong support for the hypothesis that Seth was indeed Wikileaks’ source for the DNC emails it published. Assange has strongly hinted at this, Sy Hersh claims to have a trusted informant inside the FBI who states that he has seen FBI documents verifying this, and Binney himself says that he has two sources inside the intel community vouching for this.”
    “If a man does not keep pace with [fall into line with] his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.” - Thoreau

29. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Tintin For This Post:

Bill Ryan (19th July 2019), ClearWater (19th July 2019), edina (18th July 2019), Franny (2nd August 2019), Hervé (18th July 2019), Innocent Warrior (21st July 2019), Kryztian (18th July 2019), Pam (18th July 2019), Sophocles (19th July 2019), Valerie Villars (2nd August 2019)

30. Link to Post #116
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks

Deep State Have Finally Met their Match – Ed Butowsky

Contributed by Alexandra Bruce
    July 17, 2019

This is a chilling story about the lynchpin that, in a just world, would definitively unravel the pathetic “Russian Collusion” fraud and the DNC’s psychological civil war being waged on the public. It’s scary that hardly anyone is covering this but given how corrupt they are and their willingness to destroy lives and kill innocent people, it’s not surprising.

Ed Butowsky is a successful businessman from Texas who appeared frequently as a financial pundit on Fox Business. During the Republican Primary in 2016, he was a supporter of Carly Fiorina and later of Marco Rubio. He says he’s never spoken with or met Donald Trump.

He has been holding his tongue about some of the details revealed here to protect the safety of his friend, Ellen Ratner but due to Michael Isikoff’s article in Yahoo last week, claiming that the Seth Rich “conspiracy theory” was a product of the Kremlin, he felt compelled to come forward with the facts.

At Fox, Butowsky befriended Ellen Ratner, a Fox News analyst, whose brother was the late Michael Ratner, the lawyer of Julian Assange. In the Fall of 2016, Ellen Ratner told Butowsky that she’d just returned from Europe to attend a dedication ceremony for her deceased brother and while in London, she visited Assange at the Ecuadorian Embassy for six hours.

Assange informed Ratner that he had paid Seth Rich and his brother, Aaron for the DNC emails that were published by WikiLeaks in July 2016. The emails showed how Hillary Clinton’s campaign had corruptly taken control of the DNC for the purpose of sabotaging her primary opponent, Bernie Sanders. Assange wanted Ratner to relay this information to Seth’s parents, as it might help explain the motive for Seth’s murder.

Ed Butowsky says Ellen Ratner asked him to contact the parents for her. Initially, he didn’t want to get involved but over the next 3 months, he observed the propagation of the Russian Collusion Hoax, accusing Donald Trump of being a Russian agent who had hacked the DNC server, etc. which Butowsky knew was ridiculous, especially in light of what Ratner had told him, so on December 16, 2016 he texted her, asking if she had spoken about the true story of the DC Leak to anybody. She told him that she had informed Bill Shine, who was then the co-president of Fox News, about her meeting with Mr. Assange in London, as well as Fox News producer Malia Zimmerman.

The next day, Butowsky contacted Joel and Mary Rich and told them, “Julian wanted you to know that the emails came from Seth, your son and that they were uploaded to him and…he knew that the Washington police were not going to help find who the murderer was.”

Joel Rich replied that they already knew that both of their sons, Seth and Aaron were involved in the DNC leak but that he was reluctant to go public with their role in the leaks because, as Progressive Democrats, they didn’t “want anyone to think our sons were responsible for getting Trump elected.” They did, however want to know who murdered their son and they asked Butowsky to contact them if he ever learned anything new.

Butowsky didn’t expect that he would but as it happens, he was contacted by former intelligence officer, Larry Johnson, who told him that journalist, Sy Hersh also knew about Seth Rich providing WikiLeaks with the DNC emails. He’d been trying to get an article published about it but nobody would touch it. Johnson put Hersh in touch with Butowsky, who recorded their conversation and sent it to Joel and Mary Rich, hoping that it would be of help. Three weeks went by and he didn’t hear a word from them.

“I sent them something that lays out that the file is at the FBI; that the FBI intervened, that…it’s at a shared location called the Cart Division, which is a computer access. I can’t remember the RT but there’s a division that’s shared by the Washington police and the FBI.” He found the parents’ lack of response to be odd.

Butowsky would later learn that shortly after Seth’s murder, Donna Brazile, then the DNC’s interim chair reached out to the Deputy Director of the FBI, Andrew McCabe and Washington DC Mayor, Muriel Bowser for help in dealing with the political fallout of the murder. According to Butowsky’s suit, “DC police allowed the FBI to unlock Seth Rich’s electronic devices, and the FBI obtained data showing that Mr. Rich had indeed provided the DNC emails to Wikileaks. At Mr. McCabe’s direction, however, that information was kept secret with orders that it not be produced in response to any Freedom of Information Act request. For her part, Ms. Bowser directed DC police not to pursue any investigative avenues that might connect the murder to the email leaks. At her direction, local police blamed the murder on a “botched robbery” even though Mr. Rich’s watch, wallet, and other belongings were not removed from his body.”

Indeed, when Butowsky’s lawyer, Ty Clevenger filed a FOIA request for any documents relating to Seth Rich in reference to WikiLeaks, he was told there were 32 pages that matched this request but that they were classified and could not be released.

The last time Butowsky spoke to the Riches, he ended up offering to pay for a private detective and introduced them to another colleague at Fox, former DC Metro Police homocide detective, Rod Wheeler, with whom they contracted to investigate their son’s murder.

There’s a saying, that “No good deed goes unpunished.” What followed was a series of antics so shockingly corrupt, on the part of Rod Wheeler, his monstrous attorney, Doug Wigdor the DNC’s crisis manager Brad Bauman, Fox News and the Rich family that crystallizes the execrable nature of the DNC and their minions in the Mainstream Media.

In this interview by Pete Santilli, we learn that Butowsky tried to take his story to The Washington Post but was told by a journalist there that all articles must first be approved by the same DNC crisis manager who was “assigned” to the Rich family to manage all of their communications!

This and more hideousness was evident to knowledgeable observers at the time but it remains unknown to the public at large. I will attempt to summarize these spine-curling events in a follow-up article.

In the meantime, here’s an excerpt of what followed in Ed Butowsky’s lawsuit, which details the anatomy of the DNC’s coup d’état against the People of the US, which is ongoing.

EXCERPT OF ED BUTOWSKY LAWSUIT (“RCH” = Russian Collusion Hoax)

50. On May 16, 2017, FoxNews.com published a story by Malia Zimmerman which claimed that Seth Rich had been involved in the DNC email leak. The article undermined the DNC narrative that Seth Rich had been murdered in a “botched robbery,”and it likewise undermined the Russia Collusion Hoax. The story featured quotes from Mr. Wheeler regarding his investigation, as well as quotes from an unnamed federal official who claimed that federal investigators had copies of Seth Rich’s communications with Wikileaks. Shortly thereafter, the Rich family terminated Mr. Wheeler, and Mr. Wheeler was subjected to withering scorn and criticism from anti-Trump media.

51. On May 18, 2017, Mr. Wheeler told Mr. Butowsky that he needed an attorney to pursue claims against Marina Marraco, a reporter for the local Fox affiliate in Washington, D.C. According to Mr. Wheeler, Ms. Marraco duped him into granting an interview about the Seth Rich investigation so she could “scoop” Ms. Zimmerman and publish her story one day before the Fox News network published Ms Zimmerman’s story. At Mr. Wheeler’s request, Mr. Butowsky introduced Mr. Wheeler to some well-known attorneys in Dallas. Mr. Butowsky participated in the telephone conversation between Mr. Wheeler and the Dallas attorneys, and Mr. Wheeler never once indicated that he had been misquoted or mistreated by Mr. Butowsky, Ms. Zimmerman, or Fox News (as opposed to the local affiliate in D.C.). On the contrary, Mr. Wheeler sent a written statement to Ms. Zimmerman at 1 p.m. on May 19, 2017 wherein he claimed that he had shared the contents of Ms. Zimmerman’s story with Joel Rich and Aaron Rich the night before it was published:In the contract I have with the family, signed by Joel, Mary and Aaron Rich, I am not allowed to speak to the media on the family’s behalf, but I could speak to the media about this investigation of Seth Rich’s murder or other stories I was involved in. They knew I was a Fox News contributor and regularly went on television.I called Joel Rich the night before the Fox News story was going to be published, which was Monday night. During that 18-minute call (phone logs provided), I reviewed the story with Joel Rich, he liked it and was encouraged by the new leads. Joel already knew about the story because Fox had contacted him earlier in the day. He also suggested I contact an investigative reporter, Michelle Sigona, from Crime Watch Daily with the information. I also spoke with Aaron Rich, Joel’s son, for 21 minutes the night before the story came out and told him about the new information that had emerged and the story would likely be coming out in the near future.I told them both I would be commenting on the case and asking people to come forward if they had insight on the new information. I never violated the terms of our contract as I never spoke on behalf of the family.According to Mr. Wheeler, the Riches did not object to the Fox News story when he discussed it with them in advance of its publication.

52. On May 23, 2017, Fox News retracted the May 16, 2017 article, claiming that the article did not meet its editorial standards. Fox News did not identify any errors in the article, and there were none. Within the network, rumors began to circulate that the storywas killed by Sarah and Kathryn Murdoch, the left-leaning Hillary Clinton supporters and daughters-in-law of Fox News founder Rupert Murdoch. One month prior to the May23, 2017 retraction, Sarah and Kathryn Murdoch were credited with driving out conservative Fox News host Bill O’Reilly. See Don Kaplan, “Rupert Murdoch’s sons’ progressive wives helped oust Bill O’Reilly from Fox News Channel,” New York Daily News, April 19, 2017 (https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...icle-1.3075872). Kathryn previously worked for the Clinton Climate Initiative, and her husband James was a donor to the Clinton Foundation.

53. About a week after speaking with the attorneys in Dallas, Mr. Wheeler told Mr. Butowsky that he had decided to use another attorney, and that he would receive $4 million for using the other attorney. Mr. Butowsky soon learned that the other attorney was Douglas Wigdor, an employment attorney in New York who had filed numerous discrimination lawsuits against Fox News. According to Mr. Wigdor’s own public statements, he was hoping to recover $60 million in damages from the ongoing lawsuits against Fox News. Unbeknownst to Mr. Butowsky at the time, Mr. Wigdor had enlisted Mr. Wheeler in an extortion scheme. As of 2017, Fox News’s parent company, 21stCentury Fox, Inc., was trying to gain approval from British regulators to purchase Sky Television, and Mr. Wigdor saw Mr. Wheeler’s case as an opportunity to extort money from Fox. Rather than pursue claims against the local affiliate in D.C. that had duped Mr.Wheeler and deceptively edited his statements, Mr. Wigdor convinced Mr. Wheeler to fabricate an entirely new story, i.e., that Mr. Butowsky and Ms. Zimmerman had been conspiring with President Trump to divert attention from the Russia collusion narrative. Mr. Wigdor planned to use those explosive allegations to sabotage Fox’s attempts to buy Sky, specifically by convincing British regulators that Fox News was entirely unethical and had acted corruptly at the behest of President Trump. In fact, Mr. Wigdor mentioned Fox’s attempt to buy Sky News in the lawsuit that he subsequently filed on behalf of Mr. Wigdor, and he later testified before a British parliamentary committee in opposition to the Sky Television purchase.

54. In his bogus lawsuit, Mr. Wheeler selectively quoted texts and emails from Mr. Butowsky to make it appear that Mr. Butowsky had pushed the May 16, 2017 Fox News story at the behest of President Trump. In reality, Mr. Butowsky never had (and never has) met President Trump nor spoken with him. Although Mr. Butowsky knew people who worked in the Trump White House, he had actively supported Carly Fiorina in the Republican primary. After she dropped out of the race, he supported Marco Rubio and Chris Christie. Nonetheless, because Mr. Butowsky knew people who worked in the White House, Mr. Wheeler repeatedly begged Mr. Butowsky for help in getting a job there, and Mr. Butowsky has numerous texts and emails to prove that. (When he recommended Mr. Wheeler to the Rich family, Mr. Butowsky did not know that Mr. Wheeler was habitually broke, nor did he know that Mr. Wheeler was fired from the Metropolitan Police Department for marijuana use). As a result of Mr. Wheeler’s repeated requests for help in getting a White House job, Mr. Butowsky jokingly told Mr. Wheeler that the White House was anxiously awaiting the results of his Seth Rich investigation. Mr. Wheeler knew full well that Mr. Butowsky was joking, and Mr. Wheeler knew full well that Mr. Butowsky had no personal connection to the President.

55. When Mr. Wigdor filed suit against Mr. Butowsky, Ms. Zimmerman, and FoxNews in August of 2017, he knew that Mr. Wheeler had not been misquoted in the Fox News story, and that’s because Mr. Butowsky and his attorneys had provided Mr. Wigdorwith texts, emails, and audio evidence proving that Mr. Wheeler had not been misquoted. Mr. Wigdor also knew that the Trump Administration played no role in the May 16, 2017Fox News story. Mr. Wigdor filed the fraudulent lawsuit anyway.

56. Even though Fox News retracted its May 17, 2017 report by Malia Zimmerman, local affiliate WTTG (a.k.a. “Fox 5 DC”) did not retract its report by Ms. Marraco. Instead, WTTG updated its May 15, 2017 on May 17, 2017 report to prove unequivocally that Mr. Wheeler was lying to other media outlets when he denied saying there was evidence connecting Seth Rich to the DNC leak. See Maria Marraco, Fox 5 DC(http://www.fox5dc.com/news/local-new...prior-to-death). WTTG uploaded video showing the following statements by Mr. Wheeler:FOX 5 DC: “You have sources at the FBI saying that there is information…”
    WHEELER: “For sure…”
    FOX 5 DC: “…that could link Seth Rich to WikiLeaks?”
    WHEELER: “Absolutely. Yeah. That’s confirmed.”
    Within days of the updated May 17, 2017 report by WTTG, all of the defendants in this lawsuit were actually aware that Mr. Wheeler was lying about Mr. Butowsky, Ms. Zimmerman, and Fox News.

57. The website DebunkingRodWheelersClaims.com (now at DeBunkingRodWheelersClaims.net) was launched in November of 2017, and it published texts, emails, audio, and video showing that Rod Wheeler had never been misrepresented by Mr. Butowsky, Ms. Zimmerman, or Fox News, including the email quoted above in Paragraph 51. The evidence on the website showed unequivocally that Mr. Wheeler had lied to other media about them. The website also included audio of famed journalist Seymour “Sy” Hersh stating that he had confirmed that Seth Rich was responsible for leaking the DNC emails. According to Mr. Hersh, who was by no means a Republican or a Trump supporter, he could not find a media outlet willing to publish the Seth Rich story. In a separate phone call with Mr. Butowsky, Mr. Hersh said he obtained his information about Seth Rich from Mr. McCabe, the deputy FBI director. Not later than December of 2017, all of the Defendants in this lawsuit were aware of the contents of DebunkingRodWheelersClaims.com.

58. On May 15, 2018, after Mr. Wigdor got what he needed from Mr. Wheeler in terms of political and public relations impact, Mr. Wigdor and his firm sought to drop Mr. Wheeler as a client. Judge Daniels allowed Mr. Wigdor and his partners to withdraw on May 30, 2018, and Mr. Wheeler’s frivolous lawsuit was dismissed on August 2, 2018. The unscrupulous Mr. Wigdor then settled all of his remaining clients’ claims against FoxNews for a $10 million lump sum (rather than the $60 million that he had originally sought), and Mr. Wigdor apportioned $7 million of that among those clients.

Defendants Bauman and The Pastorum Group
    59. In early March of 2017, Joel Rich informed Mr. Butowsky that he had received a call from Defendant Bauman, and that Defendant Bauman said he had been “assigned” to the Rich family by the DNC. Defendant Bauman is an unscrupulous left-wing political operative, and the DNC assigned him to the Rich family in order to control them and keep the Russia Collusion Hoax alive. Defendant Bauman knew that Seth Rich leaked emails to Wikileaks, but Defendant Bauman’s assignment was to divert attention away from Seth Rich in order to keep the RCH alive.

60. Under coercion from Mr. Bauman and the lawyer Defendants named in this lawsuit, Joel Rich stopped speaking with Mr. Butowsky and the Rich family started attacking Mr. Butowsky publicly (albeit not by name). Prior to the time of Mr. Bauman’s involvement, the Rich family acknowledged to friends and relatives that Seth and Aaron were involved in the DNC email leak, but then they suddenly changed their story. On information and belief, Mr. Butowksy alleges that Joel, Mary, and Aaron Rich were told that Aaron could be charged with felony computer crimes if they did not cooperate with their new handlers, i.e., Mr. Bauman and the lawyer Defendants. Aaron Rich’s lawyers have repeatedly alleged, for example, that Mr. Butowsky accused him (i.e., Aaron) of computer crimes and treason. In reality, Mr. Butowsky has never said such a thing. This appears to be an example of psychological projection on the part of the lawyers purporting to represent Aaron. To wit, they have accused their client of committing computer crimes and treason, but they attribute the accusation to Mr. Butowsky.

61. The Rich’s lawsuits against Mr. Butowsky (discussed below) are part of a larger pattern. On April 20, 2018, the DNC filed a hare-brained, kamakaze lawsuit alleging that President Trump colluded with the Russians to steal its emails, even though the DNC already knew that neither President Trump nor the Russians had anything to do with the hacking. See Democratic National Committee v. Russian Federation, et al., Case No. 1:18-cv-03501 (S.D.N.Y.). The DNC knew it could never win the case, but that was not the objective. The objective was to keep the Russian Collusion Hoax in the headlines through the 2018 Congressional elections. Similarly, Mr. Bauman orchestrated a hyper-aggressive litigation / defamation strategy designed to intimidate, discredit, and ultimately silence anyone who questioned the DNC narrative about Seth Rich’s involvement in leaking emails. In particular, Mr. Bauman recruited the various lawyer Defendants herein to sue Mr. Butowsky into silence. (In fact, a left-wing publication praised the strategy. See Amanda Marcotte, “Can lawsuits slow the tide of right-wing conspiracy theory? Seth Rich’s family wants to find out,” June 1, 2018 Salon(https://www.salon.com/2018/06/01/can...ts-to-find-out)). The Boise Schiller Defendants have, for example, offered to settle their clients’ claims against Mr. Butowsky’s co-defendants for nominal sums if those co-defendants will agree to remain silent in the future about Seth Rich and the leaked emails. In other words, the objective of Mr. Bauman’s litigation/defamation strategy is not to recover damages, but to discredit people like Mr. Butowsky and bully them into silence.

62. To be clear, Mr. Bauman and the lawyer Defendants – all of whom are Democratic partisans – knowingly joined in a larger conspiracy to promote and protect the RCH, and particularly to discredit and intimidate anyone like Mr. Butowsky who might undermine the RCH narrative. While Mr. Bauman and the lawyer Defendants wereplaying offense against Mr. Butowsky by suing and defaming him, their governmental co-conspirators (e.g., Mr. McCabe, Mayor Bowser, and then-Police Chief Kathy Lanier) were playing defense. Mayor Bowser and Chief Lanier, for example, blocked city investigators from pursuing any information that might undermine the RCH narrative. The lead homicide detective assigned to the case, Joseph Dellacamera, was flatly prohibited from revealing the connection between Seth Rich and Wikileaks. See, e.g., Patrick Howley, “Seth Rich Police Detective: Department Gave Me ‘Strict, Strict Rules,’ If I Talk I’ll Get ‘Re-Assigned’,” August 2, 2017, BigLeaguePolitics.com (https://bigleaguepolitics.com/seth-r...et-re-assigned). For his part, Mr. McCabe ordered FBI agents to hide all information connecting Seth Rich to Wikileaks, and to deny its existence in response to any FOIA requests.

63. The scam continues even now. In his March 22, 2019 report on alleged Russian collusion, Special Counsel Robert Mueller stated unequivocally that Russian hackers were responsible for sending DNC emails to Wikileaks, but he was later forced to admit that his investigators had never examined the DNC’s servers. Instead, Mr. Mueller had relied on exclusively on a redacted copy of a report that CrowdStrike had produced for the DNC. So far as the Plaintiff is aware, the U.S. Department of Justice had never before relied exclusively on a private company’s report about an alleged computer crime (as opposed to the government conducting its own investigation), and Mr. Mueller certainly did not disclose in his report that he had failed to examine the servers. Furthermore, Mr. Mueller never made any attempt to interview Mr. Assange, who would know better than anyone else how Wikileaks obtained the DNC emails. Mr. Mueller’s investigation was a farce, at least so far as Seth Rich and DNC “hacking” were concerned.

64. Mr. Mueller’s deputy, Andrew Weissmann, is a Democratic partisan and a Hillary Clinton supporter with a long history of prosecutorial misconduct (in fact, all of the 17 attorneys on Mr. Mueller’s staff were partisan Democrats, and his investigators initially included Democratic partisans Mr. Strzok and Ms. Page). On July 13, 2019, Congressman Devin Nunes revealed that prior to his appointment to the Mueller team, Mr. Weissmann played an undisclosed role in briefing reporters about allegations that President Trump had colluded with Russia. The Plaintiff alleges that Mr. Weissman conspired with Mr. McCabe and DNC officials to maintain the false narrative that Russians were responsible for hacking the DNC, most recently by inserting false information into Mr. Mueller’s report. The Plaintiff further alleges that Mr. Bauman and the lawyer Defendants herein knew that their governmental co-conspirators (e.g., Mr. Weissmann and Mr. McCabe) were hiding and misrepresenting evidence, and that they were hiding and misrepresenting the evidence at least in part to aid the campaign against people like Mr. Butowsky. As a result of this scheme, Mr. Butowsky was severely hindered in his efforts to defend himself in the litigation discussed below. Plaintiff’s Counsel, for example, filed a FOIA lawsuit against the FBI for information about Seth Rich, and the Plaintiff intended to use that information for litigation purposes, but Mr. McCabe and the other governmental defendants lied to the FOIA court and hid the information.

READ THE ENTIRE LAWSUIT HERE

31. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

Bill Ryan (19th July 2019), Cara (20th July 2019), ClearWater (19th July 2019), Constance (20th July 2019), fifi (20th July 2019), Franny (2nd August 2019), Innocent Warrior (21st July 2019), Satori (19th July 2019), Sophocles (19th July 2019), Tintin (21st July 2019), Valerie Villars (19th July 2019)

32. Link to Post #117
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,690 times in 13,806 posts

ABC News Australia

Four Corners | Hero or Villian : The Prosecution of Julian Assange

Published 22nd July 2019

ABC News Australia highlighting the machinations leading upto the arrest of Julian Assange.

&

Four Corners | The United States Vs Julian Assange

Published 29th July 2019

This video spotlights the u-turn of attitude towards Julian & Wikileaks by the current President of the United States, Mr Donald J Trump.

Read all about it here: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07-...rning/11350854

I for one will join in with anyone, I don't care what color you are as long as you want to change this miserable condition that exists on this Earth - Malcolm X / Tsar Of The Star

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Bill Ryan (4th September 2019), Dennis Leahy (1st August 2019), Franny (7th August 2019), Tintin (1st August 2019)

34. Link to Post #118
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,481 times in 1,331 posts

Update on federal court case.

Quote Judge dismisses DNC lawsuit
    US federal court exposes Democratic Party conspiracy against Assange and WikiLeaks

By Eric London
    31 July 2019

In a ruling published late Tuesday, Judge John Koeltl of the US District Court for the Southern District of New York, delivered a devastating blow to the US-led conspiracy against WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange.

In his ruling, Judge Koeltl, a Bill Clinton nominee and former Assistant Special Prosecutor for the Watergate Special Prosecution Force, dismissed “with prejudice” a civil lawsuit filed in April 2018 by the Democratic National Committee (DNC) alleging WikiLeaks was civilly liable for conspiring with the Russian government to steal DNC emails and data and leak them to the public.

Jennifer Robinson, a leading lawyer for Assange, and other WikiLeaks attorneys, welcomed the ruling as “an important win for free speech.”

The decision exposes the Democratic Party in a conspiracy of its own to attack free speech and cover up the crimes of US imperialism and the corrupt activities of the two parties of Wall Street. Judge Koeltl stated:

Quote If WikiLeaks could be held liable for publishing documents concerning the DNC’s political financial and voter-engagement strategies simply because the DNC labels them ‘secret’ and trade secrets, then so could any newspaper or other media outlet. But that would impermissibly elevate a purely private privacy interest to override the First Amendment interest in the publication of matters of the highest public concern.
    The DNC’s published internal communications allowed the American electorate to look behind the curtain of one of the two major political parties in the United States during a presidential election. This type of information is plainly of the type entitled to the strongest protection that the First Amendment offers.

The ruling exposes the illegality of the conspiracy by the US government, backed by the governments of Britain, Ecuador, Australia and Sweden and the entire corporate media and political establishment, to extradite Assange to the US, where he faces 175 years in federal prison on charges including espionage.
    From and more here: https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/201.../assa-j31.html
    *I have loved the stars too dearly to be fearful of the night*

35. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Cara For This Post:

Bill Ryan (4th September 2019), BMJ (6th August 2019), Dennis Leahy (1st August 2019), Earth Angel (7th August 2019), Franny (7th August 2019), gs_powered (3rd September 2019), JRS (3rd September 2019), Krist (1st August 2019), Philippe (1st August 2019), Star Tsar (1st August 2019), Stephanie (4th September 2019), sunflower (1st August 2019), Tintin (1st August 2019), Valerie Villars (1st August 2019)

36. Link to Post #119
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks

Judge’s ruling throws huge spanner into US extradition proceedings against Assange

By Tom Coburg The Canary
    31st July 2019

"Information Clearing House" August 01, 2019:

A US judge has ruled that WikiLeaks was fully entitled to publish the Democratic National Congress (DNC) emails, which means no law was broken. The ruling is highly significant as it could impact upon the US extradition proceedings against WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, as well as the ongoing imprisonment of whistleblower Chelsea Manning.

The ruling
    On 30 July, federal judge John G. Koeltl ruled on a case brought against WikiLeaks and other parties in regard to the alleged hacking of DNC emails and concluded that:
    If WikiLeaks could be held liable for publishing documents concerning the DNC’s political financial and voter-engagement strategies simply because the DNC labels them ‘secret’ and trade secrets, then so could any newspaper or other media outlet.
    In other words, if WikiLeaks is subject to prosecution, then every media outlet in the world would be. The judge argued that:
    [T]he First Amendment prevents such liability in the same way it would preclude liability for press outlets that publish materials of public interest despite defects in the way the materials were obtained so long as the disseminator did not participate in any wrongdoing in obtaining the materials in the first place.
    Significantly, the judge added that it’s not criminal to solicit or “welcome” stolen documents, and how:
    A person is entitled to publish stolen documents that the publisher requested from a source so long as the publisher did not participate in the theft.
    Important win
    Jen Robinson, a member of Assange’s legal team, described the judge’s ruling as an “important win for free speech”:
    An important win for free speech: we have won our motion to dismiss for @wikileaks in the @DNC lawsuit against #Assange, WikiLeaks et al over the 2016 US election publications on First Amendment grounds. Full judgment: https://t.co/SZmyLd1Z83 Key passages: pic.twitter.com/Kq6dJkuSIc
    — Jen Robinson (@suigenerisjen) July 31, 2019
    And US WikiLeaks lawyer Joshua Dratel said he was:
    very gratified with the result, which reaffirms First Amendment principles that apply to journalists across the board, whether they work for large institutions or small independent operations.
    Legal precedents
    Prior to the ruling, the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) was party to a briefing to the court.
    The ACLU summarised some of the legal precedents listed in the briefing. For example, the First Amendment of the US Constitution is a:
    legal principle, articulated most clearly in the 2001 Supreme Court decision Bartnicki v. Vopper, [and] is a bedrock protection for the press. It is particularly important for national security reporters, who often rely on information that was illegally acquired by a source in publishing stories of considerable public concern. Indeed, this principle animated the court’s famous Pentagon Papers decision, protecting the right to publish stories based on a secret government account of official misconduct during the origins of the Vietnam War.
    The briefing also referenced:
    revelations of the CIA’s Bush-era torture program were based in part on leaks by whistleblowers throughout government. So, too, were stories exposing sweeping NSA surveillance programs — stories for which several newspapers won Pulitzer Prizes in 2005 and in 2014.
    It added:
    Likewise, much of the reporting on Watergate relied on anonymous sources divulging government secrets. Mark Felt, the deputy director of the FBI and the most famous Watergate source (nicknamed “Deep Throat”), took extensive steps to conceal his communications with the press because his leaks were under active investigation.
    Furthermore:
    an anonymous source sent more than 2.6 terabytes of encrypted information to a German newspaper and a U.S. investigative journalism non-profit. Known as the “Panama Papers,” these internal files of a now-defunct Panamanian law firm detailed a transnational tax evasion scheme developed for wealthy clients around the world. The disclosure of the files sparked public debate and multiple proposals for legal reform.
    The ACLU concluded:
    A ruling against WikiLeaks that narrowed this [First Amendment] protection could jeopardize the well-established legal framework that made these stories possible — and that is crucial to ensuring that the public has the information it needs to hold powerful actors to account.
    Legal implications
    The judge’s ruling could therefore have huge implications for US extradition proceedings against Assange.

Greg Barns, a barrister and longtime adviser to the Assange campaign, told The Canary:
    The Court, in dismissing the case, found that the First Amendment protected WikiLeaks’ right to publish illegally secured private or classified documents of public interest, applying the same First Amendment standard as was used in justifying the The New York Times publication of the Pentagon Papers. That right exists, so long as a publisher does not join in any illegal acts that the source may have committed to obtain that information. But that doesn’t include common journalistic practices, such as requesting or soliciting documents or actively collaborating with a source. So this case is important in restating what is and is not protected under the First Amendment. But does it have implications for the extradition hearing? Well it certainly helps to remind the courts in the UK that the First Amendment protection is very broad.
    Assange is understood to be ill, while Manning is incarcerated for refusing to provide further information about her role as a WikiLeaks source. With consideration of this latest ruling, both should be immediately released from their respective prisons.
    This article was originally published by "The Canary" -

37. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

Bill Ryan (2nd August 2019), Billy (2nd August 2019), Cara (2nd August 2019), Franny (2nd August 2019), Intranuclear (2nd August 2019), Philippe (3rd August 2019), Sophocles (2nd August 2019), Tintin (2nd August 2019)

38. Link to Post #120
    Language
    English
    Thanks

**ATTEMPTING TO ACCESS WIKILEAKS - please could other members have a go as well.**

From the mods chat just now:

Herve Today at 15:30

The message I got:

Did Not Connect: Potential Security Issue

Firefox detected an issue and did not continue to wikileaks.org. The website is either misconfigured or your computer clock is set to the wrong time.

It’s likely the website’s certificate is expired, which prevents Firefox from connecting securely.
    Brave Browser:

This site can’t be reached
    The webpage at https://wikileaks.org/ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
    ERR_INSECURE_RESPONSE

Tintin Today at 15:57

Thanks Hervé.
    My message reads (via Google Chrome):

Your connection is not private
    Attackers might be trying to steal your information from wikileaks.org (for example, passwords, messages or credit cards). Learn more
    NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID
    Last edited by Tintin; 2nd August 2019 at 15:10.

39. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Tintin For This Post:

Bill Ryan (2nd August 2019), Billy (2nd August 2019), Cara (3rd August 2019), Constance (2nd August 2019), Hervé (2nd August 2019), Intranuclear (2nd August 2019), Sophocles (2nd August 2019)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst 1 6 16 31 LastLast