+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Top 9 Life Lessons From 100 Year Olds

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,974 times in 595 posts

Lightbulb Top 9 Life Lessons From 100 Year Olds

This article was written by Greg Thurston, Creator of 7 Minute Mindfulness.

Watching videos of centurions, you start to see a theme: they seem content. That might be shocking to younger people, especially anyone who fears old age.

Maybe we fear missing out on opportunities in life, and worry that we'll find ourselves too old to do things. But we have many interviews of people 100 and older, and they love to share about their lives and offer advice to the rest of us.

Dr. Mercola interviewed three centurions for this very information, and many other people have as well.

Quite a few of us (more now than ever) have relatives or know someone who is 100 or over. One lady I know who is 104 is full of sassy attitude and enjoys talking to people.

From this wealth of information, we can form the following nine lessons:

1. Happiness comes from what we do

At 100 years old, or older, people don't seem to sit around and smile about the things they accumulated in life.

Rather, it's more about their life experiences. Happy memories can go a long ways toward happiness later on! One man over 100 years old said he did all he wanted to do.

Now he wants to be helpful and keep going. "I have so many beautiful memories," said a woman over 100. "I got to do all the things I wanted to."

That tells us to jump in and live life - remember that it's about really living and making memories with people we love.

Science backs this up as well. We know people derive more happiness that is long-term from experiences such as vacations rather than from possessions.

2. Happiness comes from a positive attitude and optimism

People over 100 seem to remember life through rose tinted glasses, making it sound like an adventure even through hard times, like war.

"I've always been lucky," says one centurion despite living through 2 great wars! She also talked about how "everything makes me happy. I love talking to people... going shopping."

Common advice from people who are doing well at 100 is to "Decide to be content." Others say, "Don't chase happiness. Just be satisfied."

Deciding life is good changes our perception and makes life better, and apparently it helps you live much longer!

3. Happiness comes from living in the NOW

Age is only a number. You live for the day and keep going. This is wisdom from someone with a very long past-but they enjoy the present.

The past is the past; we can't change it. But we can rob ourselves of our present happiness and good emotional health by hanging onto old regrets, grudges, and pain.

To experience the ultimate feelings of inner calm and living in the now, I highly recommend that you follow this link: Click Here to discover 7 minute mindfulness.

You'll gain inner peace, happiness and feel 'uncluttered' in your life.

4. Love and Partnership is critical for long life

Centurions often talk about their "good" marriage, all their happy memories, and all their good times together.

It's another area where they might be applying rose-tinted glasses, but it's apparent that they got emotional support and felt like they have a life partner.

They also say that people today give up too easily these days-so there was hard work involved, but at the end of their life that part isn't really important anymore.

"Being happily married and happy in general is the remedy for all illness."

We don't have studies on how marriage or long-term relationships affect life span, but you don't have to be a scientist to take note: centurions all speak about their decades long marriage with a smile on their face.

Even people who have been widowed for a few decades say they have many, many warm memories about their married life, and that still makes them happy.

5. Eat natural, real food to feel good and live long

Many people who are 100 say they feel strong and like they're 69 or 79. These are the people who stay active physically and mentally, and have a lot to share with other people.

Many people over 100 talk about eating fresh food that they grew themselves. And older people will tell you over and over: eat in moderation!

6. Learn to adapt for a better and longer life

"Life goes on regardless" is a common theme. People who live well into old age understand that there is hardship in life but they know life goes on and they must too.

If you live 7, 8, 9, 10 or more decades, you're going to see a lot of change.

People who adapt and change with the times do better. It's part of having a positive attitude-they're excited for new opportunities instead of fearing change.

7. Help others

Helping others is one way to build relationships and connections, and it makes you feel great. It's another common theme among people who live to be over 100.

Being kind and helping others gives you a sense of purpose too, and it fights depression and anxiety. Not only that, it's a way of staying active and productive after you retire.

It's a win-win for everyone involved, and being older and retired can mean having more time for volunteering.

8. Always learn!

Older people will advise to get a good education to help you go far in life, and science has shown that people with a Bachelor's degree actually do live about a decade longer than people who don't have one. (From the U.S. Centers for Disease an Control Prevention)

Older people will tell you to keep learning all through life, both in and out of school.

Be curious-it makes life more interesting and fun. And it helps you stay engaged with life and the changing technology and times. That helps you adapt too.

9. Practice Mindfulness

People over 100 tend to live in the moment as it comes, rather than worrying about plans, regrets, and getting caught up in pressure and worry.

They cherish special time with family and friends, the colors and smell of a new flower in spring, or the feel of the grass on their feet.

When life is enjoyed in the moment, it's just better and people who live in the moment more tend to live longer, happier lives!

2. The Following 38 Users Say Thank You to dynamo For This Post:

anandacate (25th May 2018), Apulu (20th May 2018), Arcturian108 (26th May 2018), Bassplayer1 (21st May 2018), Bill Ryan (25th May 2018), Bruno (25th May 2018), ByTheNorthernSea (28th March 2021), Caliban (21st May 2018), Chris Gilbert (3rd December 2020), conk (25th May 2018), Constance (28th January 2019), Deux Corbeaux (3rd August 2019), East Sun (28th March 2021), Elpis (20th May 2018), enigma3 (26th May 2018), holistic1 (28th May 2018), Hym (28th March 2021), kfm27917 (28th March 2021), Lettherebelight (28th May 2018), LifeAngel (21st May 2018), Lunesoleil (3rd December 2020), Magnus (26th May 2018), Mark (Star Mariner) (25th May 2018), Matt P (21st May 2018), Mike (25th May 2018), Nasu (21st May 2018), Peace in Oz (29th March 2021), raregem (3rd December 2020), Reinhard (28th May 2018), rgray222 (28th March 2021), Richard S. (21st May 2018), seko (26th May 2018), Spellbound (21st May 2018), Stephanie (26th May 2018), Sue (Ayt) (3rd December 2020), toppy (20th May 2018), Valerie Villars (20th May 2018), Violet3 (26th May 2018)

3. Link to Post #2
    Canada Avalon Member Bassplayer1's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,047 times in 264 posts

Default Re: Top 9 Life Lessons From 100 Year Olds

This is a lovely uplifting post. Thank you Dynamo xxx

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bassplayer1 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (25th May 2018), ByTheNorthernSea (28th March 2021), Constance (28th January 2019), dynamo (21st May 2018), Hym (28th March 2021), Matt P (21st May 2018), Spellbound (21st May 2018), Stephanie (26th May 2018)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,146 times in 2,998 posts

These people are a great example of human potential. Studies of areas called Blue Zones clearly demonstrate the great benefits of eating cleanly, being social, being selfless and grateful. Poor food choices and daily stress have set the human race back tremendously, at least in the West.
    The quantum field responds not to what we want; but to who we are being. Dr. Joe Dispenza

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to conk For This Post:

Bill Ryan (25th May 2018), ByTheNorthernSea (28th March 2021), Constance (28th January 2019), dynamo (25th May 2018), Hym (28th March 2021), Peace in Oz (29th March 2021), Stephanie (26th May 2018)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 459,404 times in 32,917 posts

Here are the life lessons from a 256-year old. (No, not a joke. I'm as sure as I can be that this man was real, as was his extremely long life.)

“Keep a quiet heart, sit like a tortoise, walk sprightly like a pigeon, and sleep like a dog.”

What is the longest a person has ever lived for? Meet Li Ching Yuen, a man who lived an astonishing 256 years! And no, this is not a myth or a fictional tale.

According to a 1930 New York Times article, Wu Chung-chieh, a professor of the Chengdu University, discovered Imperial Chinese government records from 1827 congratulating Li Ching-Yuen on his 150th birthday, and further documents later congratulating him on his 200th birthday in 1877. In 1928, a New York Times correspondent wrote that many of the old men in Li’s neighborhood asserted that their grandfathers knew him when they were boys, and that he at that time was a grown man.

Li Ching Yuen reportedly began his herbalist career at the age of 10, where he gathered herbs in mountain ranges and learned of their potency for longevity. For almost 40 years, he survived on a diet of herbs such as lingzhi, goji berry, wild ginseng, he shoo wu and gotu kola and rice wine. In 1749, at the age of 71, he joined the Chinese armies as teacher of martial arts. Li was said to be a much-loved figure in his community, marrying 23 times and fathering over 200 children.

According to the generally accepted tales told in his province, Li was able to read and write as a child, and by his tenth birthday had traveled in Kansu, Shansi, Tibet, Annam, Siam and Manchuria gathering herbs. For the first hundred years he continued at this occupation. Then he switched to selling herbs gathered by others. He sold lingzhi, goji berry, wild ginseng, he shou wu and gotu kola along with other Chinese herbs, and lived off a diet of these herbs and rice wine.

He Wasn’t The Only One

According to one of Li’s disciples, he had once encountered an even older 500-year-old man, who taught him Qigong exercises and dietary recommendations that would help him extend his lifespan to superhuman proportions. Apart from Qigong and a herb-rich diet, what else can we learn from this Master of Longevity?

How about this: On his death bed, Li famously said, “I have done all that I have to do in this world”. Could his peaceful last words also hint at one of the biggest secrets to a long and prosperous life? It’s interesting to note that in the West, we’re often taught to believe that aging is something that must be “beaten” with high tech infrared devices and state of the art medication.

His Secret To Long Health:

Li was asked what his secret was to longevity. This was his reply: “Keep a quiet heart, sit like a tortoise, walk sprightly like a pigeon and sleep like a dog.” These were the words of advice Li gave to Wu Pei-fu, the warlord, who took Li into his house to learn the secret of extremely long life.

Li maintained that inward calm and peace of mind combined with breathing techniques were the secrets to incredible longevity. Obviously, his diet would have played a large role. But its fascinating that the old living person in recorded history attributes his long life to his state of mind.

Why Is This So Hard To Believe?

With the average lifespan for the Western world currently sitting between 70-85 years, the thought of someone living over 100 years old seems like quite the stretch. The thought of someone living over 200 years old seems extremely suspicious. But why don’t we believe that people can live this long?

We have to keep in mind that some people in this world don’t live a grueling 9-5 lifestyle, they don’t have to deal with the stresses of debt, they aren’t breathing polluted city air, and they exercise regularly. They don’t eat refined sugars or flour, or any foods that have had pesticides sprayed on them. They aren’t living off of the standard American diet.

They aren’t eating fatty meats, sugary deserts, and genetically modified foods. No antibiotics. No alcohol and no tobacco. Their diets not only exclude junk foods that we so often indulge in, they also include superfoods and herbs which are like steroids for our organs and immune system.

They also spend their spare time in nature practicing breathing techniques and meditating which have been proven to improve mental, physical, and emotional health. They keep things simple, get proper sleep, and spend a great deal of time in nature under the sun. When we get a chance to relax in the sun, we feel instantly rejuvenated and call this a “vacation”. Imagine spending a lifetime doing that in the mountains, and combining that with perfect mental, spiritual, and physical well-being.

I do not doubt for a minute that if we all did the things we knew we were supposed to do, that living to be 100 years old would be commonplace. When we treat our bodies right, who knows how long we can live for?

8. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

anandacate (25th May 2018), Anka (3rd December 2020), Arcturian108 (26th May 2018), Baby Steps (25th May 2018), ByTheNorthernSea (28th March 2021), Constance (28th January 2019), dynamo (25th May 2018), enigma3 (26th May 2018), Hym (28th March 2021), kfm27917 (28th March 2021), leavesoftrees (26th May 2018), Lettherebelight (28th May 2018), Lunesoleil (3rd December 2020), Magnus (27th May 2018), Mark (Star Mariner) (25th May 2018), Peace in Oz (29th March 2021), Sadieblue (3rd December 2020), Stephanie (26th May 2018), Sue (Ayt) (28th March 2021)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,426 times in 839 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)

“Keep a quiet heart, sit like a tortoise, walk sprightly like a pigeon, and sleep like a dog.”

Li was said to be a much-loved figure in his community, marrying 23 times and fathering over 200 children.
    "Sit like a tortoise, walk like a pigeon, and sleep like a dog". And apparently have sex like a rabbit should be added to that as well. Do the math.

Just suppose that the average life-span is 50 years. And just suppose the average number of children a man might sire in that lifetime is 5. (I'm just making up numbers). So in my scenario, this man lived the equivalent of 5 lifetimes. So we could expect him to sire somewhere in the neighborhood of 25 kids.

This guy was averaging about 40 kids "per lifetime". Now consider, not every time with a lady produces a baby. Soooooooooo, to produce 200 kids means his fun with the ladies must've been off the charts.

Dude had staying power, that's for sure.
    I am enlightened, ............ Oh wait. That's just the police shining their spotlights on me.

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Orph For This Post:

Bill Ryan (25th May 2018), dynamo (25th May 2018), enigma3 (26th May 2018), Hym (28th March 2021), kfm27917 (28th March 2021), Magnus (27th May 2018), Michi (25th May 2018), Sadieblue (3rd December 2020)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,942 times in 429 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    Li was said to be a much-loved figure in his community, marrying 23 times and fathering over 200 children..
    To have 23 marriages behind him and so many children, sounds pretty stressful experience to me..
    But again, all the circumstances of his life must be taken into consideration and the fact that we are today inclined to "invent" the stress around one marriage and one child ..
    Is every mind connected to form a peer to peer network that creates the illusion of a shared reality, making the appearance of material reality a simulation created through shared beliefs?

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Isserley For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd December 2020), dynamo (28th May 2018), Harmony (3rd December 2020), Hym (28th March 2021), kfm27917 (28th March 2021), Peace in Oz (29th March 2021), Sadieblue (3rd December 2020)

13. Link to Post #7
    France Avalon Member Lunesoleil's Avatar
    Language
    uses a translator
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 times in 1,199 posts

A beautiful lesson in humility

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lunesoleil For This Post:

Anka (3rd December 2020), Bill Ryan (3rd December 2020), Harmony (3rd December 2020), Hym (28th March 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (3rd December 2020)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 459,404 times in 32,917 posts

A true story. When I first visited Ecuador in January 2009, it was to speak at a conference at Brian O'Leary's house in Vilcabamba. During a break, some of the delegates — but alas, not myself, as I missed this! — went into the village.

There, they were lucky enough to meet one of the famous centenarians, a man who was 120 years old. Via a translator, they had a brief conversation with him. One of them asked him: "Is there anything you'd wish for in your life now?"

The man paused to think, and then replied: "Yes, I'd love to be 100 years old again."

16. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Alan (3rd December 2020), Anka (3rd December 2020), ByTheNorthernSea (28th March 2021), Constance (3rd December 2020), Harmony (3rd December 2020), Hym (28th March 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (3rd December 2020), kfm27917 (28th March 2021), kudzy (3rd December 2020), Lunesoleil (3rd December 2020), Mike (3rd December 2020), Peace in Oz (29th March 2021), Sadieblue (3rd December 2020), Sue (Ayt) (3rd December 2020), Yoda (3rd December 2020)

17. Link to Post #9
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,445 times in 1,007 posts

Just to strengthen people's belief that they are strong, I know that there are an enormous number of people in the world past "centennial youth" and not all are recorded in the Book of Records.
    There are so many explanations for the longevity, from a cup of vegetables a day to good air loaded with negative ions, genetic sequences, communion with nature and happiness in life.

The oldest man in Romania was born in Napoleon's time when there was no telegraph and died when the soviet nations were preparing for the conquest of outer space. He also went through most of the important wars of the last two centuries of the millennium, from the Russian-Turkish war to the war of Independence, the Balkan war, the First World War and the Second World War, living all kinds of semi-regimes, such comparisons really provide the dimension of truly impressive quality of life spark.

Those who knew him describe him as tall and "strong as two buffaloes", and at the age of 120 he carried 12 meters long beams over a distance of three miles. He ate as many as three Romanians together, slept outside, both in summer and in winter, walked bare-chested, even in blizzard weather, in a peasant cloth shirt, but was never ill.
    It is said that because of the scientists who often visited him monitoring and being in the "care of a research center" that scared him all the time, died at the age of 148.

And all this to be just human.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Anka For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th March 2021), ByTheNorthernSea (28th March 2021), Hym (28th March 2021), kfm27917 (28th March 2021), Sue (Ayt) (28th March 2021)

+ Reply to Thread