+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Adorable Rescued Kangaroo Comes Back Years Later to Visit

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,974 times in 595 posts

Default Adorable Rescued Kangaroo Comes Back Years Later to Visit

The Whisker Woods Sanctuary in the Australian Capital Territory recently posted a photo to Facebook, about how one of their people rescued a kangaroo years ago, only to have the marsupial return for a friendly visit years later.

The poster on the page said they released “this boy” several years ago, and he’s finally come back to visit, which isn’t a common occurrence at all for kangaroos as they usually find a group of other kangaroos to be around all the time, called a “mob.”

Jack, the kangaroo who came back, injured himself trying to hop some fences, presumably barbed wire or razor wire several years ago and required care. The poster on Whisker Woods Sanctuary said he needed a lot of care to recover from his injuries. On his feet there were scars, you can tell he was the one from years ago who suffered injuries from the fence cutting him.

Like elephants but not nearly as intense, it seems kangaroos are capable of remembering a person from years before.

Jack the kangaroo gave the person hugs, and he looks to be enjoying his happy hopping life thanks to the people from the sanctuary!

Quote ☺️☺️☺️ I released this boy years ago and he's come back to visit, which isn't common for the boys (they move on and find their own mob).
    Jack was a fence hanger, and needed a lot of care to recover....you can still see the scars on his feet from the fence cutting into him.
    He rembers me for sure and gave me hugs with a little boxing
    It’s strange to think about how people eat meat, and how it seems so out of place to eat kangaroo meat. However then you think about it, and cows and pigs are both mammals capable of being as cute and intelligent as a kangaroo.

Here in Australia, you really do see kangaroos at least once a week in the distance. When I visited my friends in Texas several months ago and they asked me about Australia, too many of them happened to ask if Australians eat Kangaroo meat.

I responded with something along the lines of “hell no why would people eat kangaroos!”
    Upon returning to Australia recently, I was at Coles, a main supermarket chain you’ll find here and out of the corner of my eye I saw this particularly dark red meat. *Facepalm: it was kangaroo meat.

Sadly, kangaroos actually do need some respect and help to not one day become an endangered species in Australia. They are hunted often, even sometimes found mutilated or decapitated for no reason. The state sort of encourages people to hunt, similar to the way feral cats are seen as free game to shoot and kill in Queensland, even at the tune of the local government paying for the scalps of kittens and cats. Yes they literally paid people for kitten scalps in Australia.

A real threat to the Australian kangaroo population seemed to rise last year, when millions of kangaroos just mysteriously dropped dead of some illness that can’t be identified. According to the Sunday Times:
    Kangaroos are dying in their millions, struck down by an unknown illness that causes inflammation, stilted movement, haemorrhaging and blindness.

Red and grey kangaroos, which nationally number in the tens of millions, have been found dead or dying across the western plains of New South Wales.”
    However, news coverage of this kangaroo pandemic is almost non-existent in the past few months. It’s unclear whether that mysterious illness is still active, or if anybody figured out what it was.

(Image credit: Pixabay, Whisker Woods Sanctuary, March Against Monsanto)

2. The Following 31 Users Say Thank You to dynamo For This Post:

Alekahn2 (5th June 2018), avid (6th June 2018), Axman (5th June 2018), Bill Ryan (5th June 2018), Brigantia (2nd December 2022), Bruno (5th June 2018), enigma3 (6th June 2018), Ernie Nemeth (5th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (5th June 2018), genevieve (5th June 2018), Hervé (5th June 2018), Inaiá (6th June 2018), Ioneo (5th June 2018), jc71 (5th June 2018), Lettherebelight (5th June 2018), Matt P (5th June 2018), Michel Leclerc (2nd December 2022), Michelle Marie (7th June 2018), Nasu (5th June 2018), Noelle (5th June 2018), O Donna (6th June 2018), Ol' Roy (5th June 2018), Orph (5th June 2018), petra (5th June 2018), pyrangello (7th June 2018), robinr1 (5th June 2018), Sir Eltor (8th June 2018), Spiral (2nd December 2022), toppy (5th June 2018), Valerie Villars (5th June 2018), Zampano (5th June 2018)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 459,483 times in 32,925 posts

Default Re: Adorable Rescued Kangaroo Comes Back Years Later to Visit

Yes, wonderful. There's a similar story here, about Christian the Lion.

4. The Following 31 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

angelfire (5th June 2018), avid (6th June 2018), Axman (5th June 2018), Ba-ba-Ra (5th June 2018), Bruno (5th June 2018), dynamo (5th June 2018), enigma3 (6th June 2018), Ernie Nemeth (5th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (5th June 2018), genevieve (5th June 2018), Hervé (5th June 2018), Inaiá (6th June 2018), Ioneo (5th June 2018), jc71 (5th June 2018), Libico (6th June 2018), Michel Leclerc (3rd December 2022), Michelle Marie (7th June 2018), Nasu (5th June 2018), Noelle (5th June 2018), O Donna (6th June 2018), Ol' Roy (5th June 2018), Orph (5th June 2018), petra (5th June 2018), pyrangello (7th June 2018), robinr1 (5th June 2018), Sir Eltor (8th June 2018), TelosianEmbrace (3rd December 2022), toppy (5th June 2018), Valerie Villars (5th June 2018), wondering (6th June 2018), Zampano (5th June 2018)

5. Link to Post #3
    Scotland Avalon Member angelfire's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,270 times in 241 posts

One of my all-time favourite videos. Thanks, Bill.

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to angelfire For This Post:

Bill Ryan (2nd December 2022), dynamo (5th June 2018), enigma3 (6th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (6th June 2018), Inaiá (6th June 2018), Michel Leclerc (3rd December 2022), Michelle Marie (7th June 2018), Noelle (5th June 2018), toppy (7th June 2018), wondering (6th June 2018)

7. Link to Post #4
    Australia Avalon Member TigaHawk's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,103 times in 742 posts

It still amazes me that for one of our national icons Kangaroo's are treated as a pest, thousands killed by recreational hunters. Their meat is sold in supermarkets and is the cheapest meat you can buy in Australia. They call to cull them because they take up land / resources that farmers think they "own" as it competes with Cattle.

But they're OK in a Zoo when tourists are visiting and paying money, right!?

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to TigaHawk For This Post:

Bill Ryan (2nd December 2022), dynamo (6th June 2018), Ernie Nemeth (6th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (6th June 2018), Inaiá (6th June 2018), KiwiElf (7th June 2018), Michel Leclerc (3rd December 2022), Michelle Marie (7th June 2018), Sir Eltor (8th June 2018), toppy (7th June 2018)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

Great heart warming story, Dynamo. Thanks!

"Christian the Lion" is one of my favorites too, AngelFire. : ))))

And there's one more: "DimDim, the Penguim" (reads "JingJing").

João, a brazilian fisherman, found a pinguim covered with oil on the beach, in front of his house. He cleaned and took care of it... and now has earned a friend for life. : ))))

We are walking together.

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Inaiá For This Post:

avid (6th June 2018), Bill Ryan (2nd December 2022), dynamo (7th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (7th June 2018), KiwiElf (7th June 2018), Michelle Marie (7th June 2018), pyrangello (7th June 2018), Spiral (2nd December 2022), toppy (7th June 2018)

11. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,947 times in 1,689 posts

The birds, rabbits, mice, insects are all intelligent and created to perform functions in nature. They can all read your thoughts if you send them out and my heart says it is evil to kill.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to amor For This Post:

Bill Ryan (2nd December 2022), dynamo (7th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (7th June 2018), KiwiElf (7th June 2018), Michel Leclerc (3rd December 2022), Michelle Marie (7th June 2018), toppy (7th June 2018)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,974 times in 595 posts

Quote Posted by amor (here)
    The birds, rabbits, mice, insects are all intelligent and created to perform functions in nature. They can all read your thoughts if you send them out and my heart says it is evil to kill.
    Indeed, one need only to gaze deeply into the eyes of a sentient being to see the love and realize that we are all connected and have a purpose in this life. if one feels the need to kill in order to survive, it may be wise to at least give the soul you are killing your thanks and blessings...IMO.

I enjoy feeding the birds and squirrels in our yard.
    The kids love them as well.
    When snakes and hawks come around, the wife gets a little...uneasy LOL!

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dynamo For This Post:

Bill Ryan (2nd December 2022), Ernie Nemeth (7th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (7th June 2018), Michel Leclerc (3rd December 2022), PathWalker (7th June 2018)

15. Link to Post #8
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,991 times in 2,110 posts

A few minutes ago I just watched one of my feral cats grab a goldfish from the outside pond as big as your hand and trot it over to the little kittens, then I watched another cat grab a butterfly out of the sky and eat that. These cats get fed daily but they still are instinctive hunters. What a fascinating world we live in. Great videos to all!

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pyrangello For This Post:

Bill Ryan (2nd December 2022), dynamo (7th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (7th June 2018), Harmony (3rd December 2022), Michel Leclerc (3rd December 2022), Sir Eltor (8th June 2018)

17. Link to Post #9
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,319 times in 4,085 posts

I bet we've all seen this clip, and it's already posted but I was watching it again in wonder. Guy punches kangaroo in the face while rescuing his dog. It takes about 43 muscles to frown about something but it only takes four muscles to punch a kangaroo in the face. I couldn't find a good thread to post this in, but this thread has kangaroo in the title.

This kangaroo isn't an adorable one, it's a little ****head. I bet the dog was an ****hole too. Australian bloke, and dog number 2, to the rescue though. A great example of how dogs and man can work together, the dog keeping its strength until the bloke gets there, then a big struggle, giving the man a chance to flank the kangaroo, then he aligns his feet and gives the kangaroo something to think about in the face, then dog number two joins in quick, stressing the kangaroo by flanking it. The first dog, with the neck armour, despite being bettered by the 'roo the first time, comes back to offer a further threat from a new flank. More things for the kangaroo to think about. Dogs and man, best friends forever

I love it when the bloke off camera yells "Let it go Tom", like it was a bar fight

It's the kind of surreal thing I expect to see in the video game Tekken, which has a boxing kangaroo. Here's the game: this clip is a cow vs a kangaroo typical for Tekken (youtube link)

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Matthew For This Post:

Bill Ryan (2nd December 2022), Bluegreen (3rd December 2022), Brigantia (2nd December 2022), gini (3rd December 2022), Harmony (3rd December 2022), Michel Leclerc (3rd December 2022), Spiral (2nd December 2022), wondering (2nd December 2022)

19. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,358 times in 436 posts

We didn't see what happened before the kangaroo had a tight hold of the dog.
    I suspect the dog was on the attack and the kangaroo was defending and protecting itself from aggression.

I see ego and arrogance when it comes to humans. There is no bravado in punching a kangaroo, who stands in its natural habitat, in the face.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to lunaflare For This Post:

Harmony (3rd December 2022)

21. Link to Post #11
    Belgium Avalon Member
    Language
    Dutch, French
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,361 times in 762 posts

Quote Posted by Matthew (here)
    I bet we've all seen this clip, and it's already posted but I was watching it again in wonder. Guy punches kangaroo in the face while rescuing his dog. It takes about 43 muscles to frown about something but it only takes four muscles to punch a kangaroo in the face. I couldn't find a good thread to post this in, but this thread has kangaroo in the title.

This kangaroo isn't an adorable one, it's a little ****head. I bet the dog was an ****hole too. Australian bloke, and dog number 2, to the rescue though. A great example of how dogs and man can work together, the dog keeping its strength until the bloke gets there, then a big struggle, giving the man a chance to flank the kangaroo, then he aligns his feet and gives the kangaroo something to think about in the face, then dog number two joins in quick, stressing the kangaroo by flanking it. The first dog, with the neck armour, despite being bettered by the 'roo the first time, comes back to offer a further threat from a new flank. More things for the kangaroo to think about. Dogs and man, best friends forever

I love it when the bloke off camera yells "Let it go Tom", like it was a bar fight

It's the kind of surreal thing I expect to see in the video game Tekken, which has a boxing kangaroo. Here's the game: this clip is a cow vs a kangaroo typical for Tekken (youtube link)
    I am under the impression that the kangaroo was a bit disappointed with the human. “Slapping me in the face is not really good fighting. Besides, why are you doing that at all? Your g.....d dog tried to bite me! I just immobilised him the time you came around to take him over.”

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michel Leclerc For This Post:

gini (3rd December 2022), Harmony (3rd December 2022)

23. Link to Post #12
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,003 times in 2,649 posts

Quote Posted by Michel Leclerc (here)
    Quote Posted by Matthew (here)

I am under the impression that the kangaroo was a bit disappointed with the human. “Slapping me in the face is not really good fighting. Besides, why are you doing that at all? Your g.....d dog tried to bite me! I just immobilised him the time you came around to take him over.”

I think your right here Michael Leclerc, as when a large male kangaroo feels trapped it will put it's weight back on its strong tail and use it's powerful leg with huge claw to open a person up. Punching a large male kangaroo is one of those things you shouldn't try at home, so although interesting to watch, that man was actually very lucky to retreat with no serious injury.

+ Reply to Thread