Thanked 4,970 times in 595 posts

Default Are Your Beliefs Your Own?

June 14th, 2018
    By Victoria Fann
    Guest writer for Wake Up World

Name:  Are-Your-Beliefs-Your-Own-fb.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  26.0 KB

According to the National Science Foundation, the average person thinks about twelve thousand thoughts per day, whereas the deeper thinker has fifty thousand thoughts daily. Our range is rather small. You might not notice this until you start to pay attention to these thoughts. Once you do, you’ll notice that a large percentage of those thoughts are not only repetitive, but they are also negative.

Think of them as a ticker tape running through your life all day and night.
    Author Norman Vincent Peale said it well when he wrote, “Repetition of the same thought or physical action develops into a habit which, repeated frequently enough, becomes an automatic reflex.” Take this a step further and we move into the territory of beliefs.

The American Heritage Dictionary defines belief as:

1. The mental act, condition, or habit of placing trust or confidence in a person or thing; faith.

2. Mental acceptance or conviction in the truth or actuality of something.

3. Something believed or accepted as true; especially, a particular tenet, or a body of tenets, accepted by a group of persons.

A belief is something we trust in without having the experience to back it up. It is something that we come to because we are told it is true by someone or something outside of ourselves. Belief is something you would only put your trust in if you haven’t discovered the deeper level of wisdom that knowledge, plus experience bring. Once you discover this, you will never be satisfied with belief alone again.
    It’s quite simple.

There is a huge difference between eating a meal and deciding it’s good, and being told a meal is good by someone else. Add to that the knowledge about the ingredients in the meal, it’s nutritional benefits and then suddenly you have the wisdom of knowing that this meal not only creates a pleasant experience, but that it is also good for your body.

Our thoughts and our very lives are determined by the beliefs we have. Most of those beliefs were imparted to us by parents, family members, teachers, neighbors, the media, etc. Very little is based in original thought. Instead, these beliefs are not much more than a bunch of sentences, statements and equations that we carry around with us wherever we go. They make up the filter through which we view our world, they are the foundation upon which we base our decisions, and they are our greatest source of suffering.

To see what beliefs you’re carrying around, you can begin by simply noticing what you think and what you say to others. Pay attention to statements that have the words “always” and “never” in them as well as statements that contain absolutes in them or assert a position around anything. These types of statements are rigid and typically hold a lot of power in their ability to influence your behavior.

Are you more than the sum total of your beliefs? Of course you are. But with all that clutter and debris in the way, it’s difficult to see beyond that. It’s probably time to do a little house cleaning.

Why not start by opening up the metaphorical doors and windows to let in some light and fresh air?

Next, take a good look around and notice if any of your beliefs feel old and outmoded. That’s probably due to the fact that they were never yours to begin with, only borrowed from others.

Now, to get to what’s real and authentic, you’re going to have to start throwing stuff out. Let it go. Free yourself up. Move into the future with a lighter load.
    Wipe the slate clean.
    Start over.
    Surprise people with the new you.

Letting go of your personal history–your story–is a powerful act of rebellion. It is when you become the greatest advocate for yourself. You reclaim and retrieve what is needed and walk away from the rest. This does not mean that you cut all ties, but rather it means that you rise above those biographical, ancestral limitations and allow yourself to express yourself as you really are.

Unencumbered by the past, you are free to become a child again. You become open and receptive and teachable again. The mind and heart become energized by having new options, and being no longer restricted by our thoughts of what we can and cannot do or have or be.

This childlike state makes life feel magical and exciting. This is where we find joy. Most of us had glimpses of this simple feeling when we were children, but over time it got crushed by all the responsibilities and duties and obligations to participate in the societal machine. We can say no to this freedom killer and yes to ourselves.

Begin now by paying attention to your thoughts and words.
    Take nothing at face value.
    Question everything.

Before long, you will notice your being begins to stir as if awakening from a long sleep. You will be breathing new life into an old structure. This is the invitation your being was waiting for. Now follow it where it wants to go.

You will be amazed at where it takes you.
    Also by Victoria Fann:
    About the author:

Victoria Fann is a writer, transformational coach, community builder and practical mystic. The foundation of her work was inspired by her time at Esalen as well as her training and inner work with many of the early founders and teachers of the human potential movement. She has been writing essays, short stories, plays and screenplays for over three decades. Her writing has been published in numerous publications and anthologies including Wake Up World, Women of Wisdom, Newsweek, Thought Catalog, Elephant Journal, Snapping Twig, Medium, BioStories. Her book, Creative Alchemy: Accessing the Extraordinary Power of the Muse to Transform Your Art and Your Life will be published this year.
    You can read more of her writing and learn more about her and her work on her website www.victoriafann.com, or contact her on Facebook at www.facebook.com/victoriafann.
    This article © 2018 Victoria Fann

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to dynamo For This Post:

Bruno (14th June 2018), David Trd1 (15th June 2018), Ewan (20th November 2020), Foxie Loxie (14th June 2018), Jad (14th June 2018), Lunesoleil (20th November 2020), mojo (13th June 2018), Nasu (14th June 2018), Noelle (13th June 2018), Orph (13th June 2018), Sunny-side-up (14th June 2018), woomap (14th June 2018)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member EthanSmith's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Are Your Beliefs Your Own?

it's all very interesting but at the same time it's contradictory, you do not think so?
    As I notice that all the information that we receive or give, we still received from people and it does not matter whether get this info from book, the Internet or communication with another person. The only thing that we can do is just analyze the information received and decide for ourselves whether to accept it or not.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EthanSmith For This Post:

Bruno (14th June 2018), dynamo (14th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (14th June 2018), Noelle (14th June 2018)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,111 times in 3,950 posts

We as beings are down-loaders, we are receivers and then we process.

What I do with my downloads is still not my own process, it is influenced by my life path and programming.

I/we live as if individuals but we are a collective, a collective consciousness.
    A consciousness with a higher state/self, is the higher self my true owner of my/our beliefs or just a step on wards/upwards towards it? or away from it?

How can we own anything as personal or even real in this realm of existence?
    I'm a simple easy going guy that is very upset/sad with the worlds hidden controllers!
    We need LEADERS who bat from the HEART!
    Rise up above them Dark evil doers, not within anger but with LOVE

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sunny-side-up For This Post:

Bob (14th June 2018), Bruno (14th June 2018), ByTheNorthernSea (20th November 2020), dynamo (14th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (14th June 2018), Noelle (14th June 2018)

7. Link to Post #4
    Albania Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    Albanian
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,899 times in 467 posts

I think beliefs are mini realities already existing (be that truth or illusion, good or evil, light or darkness, positive or negative) but our important step is to choose consciously which "channel" frequency level of reality you tune in. Everything is already been created we are just experiencer and explorer of this multiverse. Learning and growing up on higher levels of creation ( through actions or inactions) or downgrading from upper to lower if we loose the path of the truth on the way.

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Eagle Eye For This Post:

Bob (14th June 2018), Bruno (14th June 2018), dynamo (14th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (14th June 2018), Lunesoleil (20th November 2020), Noelle (14th June 2018), what is a name? (15th June 2018), Wind (14th June 2018)

9. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member Foxie Loxie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,639 times in 2,960 posts

My "usual"! Children only know the system they have been raised in & unless something happens to make them question that Belief System, that is where they remain for the rest of their lives!

I know.....that's what happened to me!!

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

Ewan (20th November 2020), Noelle (14th June 2018), TargeT (14th June 2018), Victoria (17th October 2019), what is a name? (15th June 2018)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,684 times in 8,938 posts

90 to 99% of our beliefs are not our own but come from everywhere, internet, facebook and tv being major beliefs pushers. The family gives us its beliefs, our parents directly as well. This is one of the thing worked out on one parent's death, if we are aware enough, we get rid of their beliefs imposed on us as they go away. Society, school and more gives us beliefs and values as well (a beliefs system from the middle east is vastly different from a beliefs system from the West).

All in all

BELIEFS ARE UNECESSARY ONCE THE EGO IS BUILT AND UNDER SOUL INFUSION.

My ACTUAL belief: get rids of all beliefs to see the truth.
    How to let the desire of your mind become the desire of your heart - Gurdjieff

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Bruno (14th June 2018), dynamo (14th June 2018), Ewan (20th November 2020), Foxie Loxie (14th June 2018), Noelle (14th June 2018), selinam (14th June 2018), Wind (14th June 2018)

13. Link to Post #7
    United States Honored, Retired Member. Ron passed in October 2022.
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,256 times in 2,136 posts

I feel that strong suspicions are better than beliefs. Suspicions are more easily changed with new information.
    And how is one to evaluate new information?
    When critical thinking and intuition agree, or at least there is no conflict.
    That is how it is for me and I am always free to do another evaluation.
    I am always aware that we are playing in a manipulated game of consciousness. I question everything, including my own suspicions/beliefs.
    Last edited by Ron Mauer Sr; 14th June 2018 at 17:01.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ron Mauer Sr For This Post:

dynamo (14th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (14th June 2018), Lunesoleil (20th November 2020), Victoria (17th October 2019), Wind (14th June 2018)

15. Link to Post #8
    Australia Avalon Member
    Thanks

There are some who have their beliefs thrust upon them. Like myself, reared in the catholic faith only to reject it once free from its influence. Interest in the Occult and Theosophy led me to the teachings of George King and volunteered the experience of The Twelve Blessings which form the new age bible.These were delivered by Jesus through George King in a self induced Samadhic trance in London 1958.
    Introduction to mystic Truths can have an effect which removes doubt. These things are not readily accepted by others, it would seem you have to be born to it. So there it is, I do not write long artcles.
    For the curious there is the website of The Aetherius Society, www.aetherius.org, and my book' Metaphysics and The New Age' which I had published by Amazon to give some the opportunity to know.It is still on my computer and will send to anyone who is interested enough to provide an email address, and is reluctant to buy the book. The first chapters freak you out describing the horrors of the fates threatened the earth after the world war, in one of which the combined forces of hell were able to rise up into this world.
    Last edited by britman; 14th June 2018 at 17:31.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to britman For This Post:

Bruno (14th June 2018), dynamo (14th June 2018), selinam (14th June 2018), what is a name? (15th June 2018)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,964 times in 7,673 posts

"When you've seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there." ~ George Harrison

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

Bruno (14th June 2018), dynamo (14th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (14th June 2018), TargeT (14th June 2018)

19. Link to Post #10
    France Avalon Member Lunesoleil's Avatar
    Language
    uses a translator
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,290 times in 1,184 posts

Lightbulb Re: Are Your Beliefs Your Own?

Quote Posted by dynamo (here)
    Begin now by paying attention to your thoughts and words.
    Take nothing at face value.
    Question everything.
    This is exactly it, questioning our beliefs and never taking for granted the knowledge learned which will be continually refreshed by current events or our own understanding which is a moving train that you cannot stop which is from there. he order of the flow of life, the blood in our veins, does not stagnate in one place, but circulates throughout the body. Beliefs are like a lifeless soul with no spiritual purpose, it is very important to understand this. Thank you for sharing. Letting go is fundamental for a healthy lifestyle ...

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Lunesoleil For This Post:

East Sun (21st November 2020)

21. Link to Post #11
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,858 times in 11,838 posts

Beliefs and concepts come and go, the only constant one is "I exist" and thats not a belief, its known to be so.
    It does not need any external confirmation. No one needs to tell me I exist.
    Chris
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Iyakum (20th November 2020)

+ Reply to Thread