+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Snowden Concerned About His Status in a "Corrupt" Russia

1. Link to Post #1
    Canada Avalon Member Fellow Aspirant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,595 times in 1,002 posts

Default Snowden Concerned About His Status in a "Corrupt" Russia

He foresees the possibility that Trump could ask Putin for his deportation.

From "The Guardian":

https://theguardian.com/us-news/2018...ent-as-corrupt
    29 June, 2018

National Security Agency whistleblower Edward Snowden has delivered his most trenchant criticism yet of the Russian government, describing it unequivocally as “corrupt”.

His comments mean the proposed US-Russia summit in Helsinki on 16 July is potentially risky for him if Donald Trump was to request Vladimir Putin to hand him over.

Snowden is wanted in the US on three charges under the Espionage Act, carrying a minimum of 30 years in jail. Putin could balance the propaganda value of having Snowden in Russia against providing Trump with an easy gift.

In an interview with the German daily Süddeutsche Zeitung Snowden, who has lived in Russia since 2013, said: “The Russian government is corrupt in many ways, that’s something the Russian people realise. Russian people are warm. They are clever. It’s a beautiful country. Their government is the problem not the people.”

Snowden faced criticism in the first couple of years after he arrived in Russia of not criticising the Putin government but he has gradually become more outspoken, including in his defence of journalists.

Russia is the only safe haven in the world for Snowden. China would not allow him access to the mainland when he was in Hong Kong in 2013. Neither Germany, where there is strong public support for Snowden, nor any other European country appears willing to fall out with the US by offering him sanctuary. If he made it to Latin America or anywhere else in the world, the US could apply economic pressure or send in a CIA team to kidnap him.

He said: “I’ve already accepted that I am going to spend my life dealing with enormous consequences for my decision to tell the public what I know. But if not for me, by all means, Germany should pass the necessary laws to allow future whistleblowers to find a safe harbour.”

Snowden said if a Russian whistleblower was to turn up on chancellor Angela Merkel’s doorstep, she would protect them. “But if an American whistleblower shows up on Merkel’s doorstep? That question has not been answered,” Snowden said.

He expressed disappointment with Merkel’s public position on whistleblowers. “We’ve talked so much about Russia today and the disappointments and the challenges that the public is facing because of the problems of their government. What would it say to the world if the only place an American whistleblower can be safe is in Russia?”

Asked about WikiLeaks publisher Julian Assange, with whom he is often compared, Snowden said: “I’m a reformist, he’s a revolutionary. I don’t want to burn the system down, if I believe it can still be saved.”

Although Assange helped organise Snowden’s escape from Hong Kong, the two hold many different views, including how much classified information should be published, with Snowden favouring a more selective approach.

B.
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 29th June 2018 at 20:12. Reason: added link to the source article
    A human being is a part of the whole, called by us "Universe," a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separate from the rest—a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness.

Albert E.

2. The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to Fellow Aspirant For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (29th June 2018), BMJ (30th June 2018), boolacalaca (1st July 2018), dynamo (1st July 2018), Flash (30th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (30th June 2018), Intranuclear (30th June 2018), justntime2learn (30th June 2018), KiwiElf (29th June 2018), Lefty Dave (1st July 2018), mountain_jim (29th June 2018), Nasu (29th June 2018), NeedleThreader (29th June 2018), Noelle (29th June 2018), Omni (30th June 2018), onawah (29th June 2018), OopsWrongPlanet? (30th June 2018), Ron Mauer Sr (30th June 2018), sunflower (27th September 2022), Tintin (30th June 2018), toppy (30th June 2018), yelik (30th June 2018)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,098 times in 155 posts

Default Re: Snowden Concerned About His Status in a "Corrupt" Russia

Poor Snowden. I never realized that Russia was the only country that can and will grant amnesty to him.

I really like when he said: “I’m a reformist, he’s a revolutionary (Assange). I don’t want to burn the system down, if I believe it can still be saved.”

4. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to NeedleThreader For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (29th June 2018), BMJ (30th June 2018), dynamo (1st July 2018), Fellow Aspirant (30th June 2018), Flash (30th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (30th June 2018), Nasu (29th June 2018), Noelle (29th June 2018), Ron Mauer Sr (30th June 2018), toppy (30th June 2018), Valerie Villars (30th June 2018), yelik (30th June 2018)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Deactivated
    Thanks

Snowden, a very brave young man, is really up the creek and definitely is dependent on Putin.

It’s amazing he has the guts to criticize the Russian government as quoted above since they are holding his freedom in their hands. It might not be wise that he does that.

The fact that he does criticize Putin is kind of suspicious. It may be that Russia has made a deal with him

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Zak247 For This Post:

BMJ (30th June 2018), dynamo (1st July 2018), Fellow Aspirant (30th June 2018), Flash (30th June 2018), toppy (30th June 2018), Valerie Villars (30th June 2018)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,947 times in 1,689 posts

I think that President Trump should pardon both Snowden and Assange and invite them to work with the USA if they wish. We need honest, tell it like it is people to save this country.

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to amor For This Post:

BMJ (30th June 2018), dynamo (1st July 2018), Fellow Aspirant (30th June 2018), Flash (30th June 2018), mountain_jim (30th June 2018), Omni (30th June 2018), onevoice (30th June 2018), toppy (30th June 2018), yelik (30th June 2018)

9. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member section9's Avatar
    Thanks

Sadly, I suspect that now that Snowden’s usefulness to the FSB is over with, he’ll end up in the Moscow River.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to section9 For This Post:

dynamo (1st July 2018), Fellow Aspirant (1st July 2018)

11. Link to Post #6
    United States Deactivated
    Thanks

Quote Posted by amor (here)
    I think that President Trump should pardon both Snowden and Assange and invite them to work with the USA if they wish. We need honest, tell it like it is people to save this country.
    Are you kidding? The IC would raise holy hell. They just put that girl Reality Winner in jail for 5 years for leaking one page. They want to hang Snowden and Assange.

https://theintercept.com/2018/06/26/...ing-plea-deal/

Quote REALITY LEIGH WINNER pleaded guilty to retaining and transmitting a document to an online news organization after reaching a deal with the government to serve a five-year prison sentence, compared to the 10 years she faced when she was indicted under the Espionage Act.
    But Dave Petraeus did the same thing and he got 2 years probation.

They take care of their own but will destroy you if you’re out of their loop

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Zak247 For This Post:

Inversion (26th September 2022)

13. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,839 times in 1,691 posts

Putin has granted Edward Snowden Russian citizenship. In 2020 he was granted permanent residency rights. US courts ruled the program he exposed was unlawful.

reuters

Quote Sep 26, 2022

Quote President Vladimir Putin granted Russian citizenship to former U.S. intelligence contractor Edward Snowden, nine years after he exposed the scale of secret surveillance operations by the National Security Agency.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Inversion For This Post:

Arcturian108 (27th September 2022), Harmony (27th September 2022), Kryztian (28th September 2022), s7e6e (26th September 2022)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,956 times in 3,471 posts

Some thoughts by Glenn Greenwald (who helped break the Snowden story) about what Russia's offer of citizenship means, and the hypocrisy of how the Washington Times is spinning this story.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kryztian For This Post:

Harmony (29th September 2022), Inversion (28th September 2022)

+ Reply to Thread