+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 5 LastLast

Thread: Why have a Space Force?

1. Link to Post #21
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,392 times in 3,448 posts

Default Re: Why have a Space Force?

While I do agree with a planetary space force (as seen in my first post), I do not believe the current military hierarchy will manage it with pure intent...

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Omni For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (26th July 2018), Joe from the Carolinas (28th July 2018), mojo (26th July 2018), OldArcher (18th July 2019)

3. Link to Post #22
    United States Avalon Member mojo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,430 times in 5,646 posts

Another perspective that the creation of an authorized Space Force does is that it will be a public resource for the dissemination of information such as technology, and current events. Maybe some black projects can move into the public arena as well through the Space Force? According to others like Richard Dolan we have a secret space force that we dont hear about. Maybe a public one will have to answer to the public?

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mojo For This Post:

CKH (10th April 2020), Foxie Loxie (26th July 2018), incendiusphasma (5th September 2018), Joe from the Carolinas (28th July 2018), OldArcher (18th July 2019)

5. Link to Post #23
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,312 times in 617 posts

Just and FYI.

Recently they divorced cyberspace operations from space operations officially. I saw it on the natsec twitter i set up. I could find it if you all are really interested. I am pretty sure it was on the https://twitter.com/AFSpace

Did you know that all your favorite national security appratus have their own twitters?

Did you know that these exist https://twitter.com/NavysFlagship That is the twitter for the USS Blue Ridge the Navy Flag ship in the Pacific.

It is weird time we live in where our weapons systems have their own twitter acconts

6. Link to Post #24
    Moderator (on Sabbatical) Joe from the Carolinas's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,955 times in 995 posts

Quote Posted by mojo (here)
    Another perspective that the creation of an authorized Space Force does is that it will be a public resource for the dissemination of information such as technology, and current events. Maybe some black projects can move into the public arena as well through the Space Force? According to others like Richard Dolan we have a secret space force that we dont hear about. Maybe a public one will have to answer to the public?
    Sure, I don't see any reason why a new branch of the military wouldn't comply with existing declassification schedules for FOIA requests that have already been in place. I guess we'll have to wait 30 years to find out

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Joe from the Carolinas For This Post:

CKH (10th April 2020), Foxie Loxie (29th July 2018), ichingcarpenter (29th July 2018), mojo (29th July 2018), OldArcher (18th July 2019)

8. Link to Post #25
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,050 times in 521 posts

Quote Posted by Joe from the Carolinas (here)
    Sure, I don't see any reason why a new branch of the military wouldn't comply with existing declassification schedules for FOIA requests that have already been in place. I guess we'll have to wait 30 years to find out
    USAF and the Space Fence

U.S. 'Space Fence' Radar System Goes Silent, After 50 Years September 3, 2013

The Space Fence is down. That's the message we get from the SatWatch site, following up on our report last month that the U.S. Air Force was poised to shut down the radar system that tracks thousands of objects orbiting Earth. It had been in operation since 1961.

The Space Fence — also known by its formal name, the Air Force Space Surveillance System — consists of three transmitters and six receivers that stretch across the southern U.S., using radio waves to paint a picture of a slice of space. The items it detected ranged from satellites and debris to meteors.

"The final satellite I captured an RF reflection from was the Meteor Priroda," says Mike Coletta of SatWatch, "which went over the transmitter site at approx 0000 hrs UTC [on Sept. 1], and there have been no more reflections since that time."

Shutting down the system will save around $14 million annually, the Air Force Space Command said last month. The agency hopes to install a new version of the fence using technology that it says will be more accurate.

News of a pending shutdown came last month after an Air Force memo came to light. That led to criticism from experts who say the fence should not be shut down before a new system is in place.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...after-50-years

So guess who is running it now?

Lockheed Martin prepares to turn on U.S. Air Force Space Fence on Kwajalein Atoll

SAN FRANCISCO — In June, Lockheed Martin plans to complete integration of the U.S. Air Force Space Fence on Kwajalein Atoll in the Marshall Islands and begin tracking objects, at least in a testing mode.

Full integration and testing is scheduled to begin in July as the company confirms the S-band radar array meets all contractual requirements.

“After that, we will turn it over to the Air Force for testing and trials,” said Bruce Schafhauser, Lockheed Martin Space Fence program manager.

As companies prepare to send hundreds or thousands of satellites into communications constellations in low Earth orbit, government agencies and commercial satellite operators are calling for enhanced space situational awareness and space traffic management.

The Air Force Space Fence in Kwajalein will help but Lockheed Martin is hoping to provide additional observations with a second Space Fence in Western Australia. The Air Force authorized Lockheed Martin to begin surveying the site for the second radar facility but has not yet allocated funding to build it.

https://spacenews.com/lockheed-marti...ajalein-atoll/

trump will keep the aliens out with this new fence........ I thought it was an interesting sidenote

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ichingcarpenter For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (29th July 2018), CKH (10th April 2020), Foxie Loxie (29th July 2018), Joe from the Carolinas (29th July 2018), mojo (29th July 2018), OldArcher (18th July 2019), Reinhard (29th July 2018)

10. Link to Post #26
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,078 times in 2,355 posts

Since the SSP went rogue from government accountability (and the original Nazi SSP was never under our control at all), trying to bring it back under control and bring it above the board so that the public knows about it, obviously requires working with the commanders of that force and the corporate executives overseeing the equipment manufacturing. Deals have to be made.

In the same way we had to reach out to North Korea and negotiate a deal, someone has had to do the same with the SSP at some point, or is in the process of doing so now. Lockheed is a part of that, and part of the negotiations are obviously continuing the supply of funds to the program.

11. Link to Post #27
    Moderator (on Sabbatical) Joe from the Carolinas's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,955 times in 995 posts

Good find on the space fence report. Another blatant merger between public and private. I won’t quote the post because the length would cycle the thread, but something has also been happening between the US and Australian space commands, concerning this space surveillance network. I’m doubtful it just involves radar stations:

In 2013, the U.S. Secretary of Defense and Australian Minister of Defence signed an MOU agreeing to relocate the Space Surveillance Telescope from the White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico to Harold E. Holt Naval Communication Station in Western Australia. Australia offers a uniquely beneficial vantage point for operational testing and demonstration of SST’s enhanced algorithms and camera. After the move, SST will be owned by the United States Air Force, but operated and maintained by Australia. It will be a dedicated sensor in the U.S. Space Surveillance Network (SSN).

The most sophisticated space surveillance telescope ever developed is ready to begin tracking thousands of space objects as small as a softball.

https://www.darpa.mil/program/space-...ance-telescope

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Joe from the Carolinas For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (29th July 2018), Foxie Loxie (29th July 2018), ichingcarpenter (29th July 2018), Justplain (29th July 2018), mojo (29th July 2018), Reinhard (29th July 2018), section9 (11th August 2018)

13. Link to Post #28
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,690 times in 13,806 posts

Interesting theories included

Quote Posted by Star Tsar (here)
    Ground Zero Media

Dr John Hall & Jimmy Church : Battle Space X

Published 14th July 2018

@ the Black Hat technology conference held in Las Vegas, Experts where warning that a number of popular communications satellite systems are venerable to hacks that could convert them into directed energy systems capable of hitting & destroying targets on Earth. Knowing what we know about weapons programs & ASAT systems turned into microwave weapons, the idea is not much of a leap of logic...

In this broadcast Clyde talks with directed weapons researcher Dr John Hall & Jimmy Church all about Space Battle X!

Listen here

Musical interlude

Last edited by Star Tsar; 22nd August 2019 at 04:04.
    I for one will join in with anyone, I don't care what color you are as long as you want to change this miserable condition that exists on this Earth - Malcolm X / Tsar Of The Star

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

mojo (15th August 2018), Sunny-side-up (16th August 2018)

15. Link to Post #29
    United States Avalon Member
    Language
    Zulu
    Thanks

Interesting how around 2011-2013, the missions to Antarctica became a rite of passage around here. Why did a desolate grab of landscape suddenly become top grub? The focus was on the middle east. Why focus on gassing up nearly 300k in lbs of JET-8 for a flight to where you can brag about the cold, but never about where precisely you were?
    "Rage, rage against the dying of the light." -D. Thomas

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Siphonemis For This Post:

mojo (30th August 2018)

17. Link to Post #30
    England Avalon Member Did You See Them's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,876 times in 1,034 posts

Would like to know whats gone on here ?

NASA astronaut Robb Kulin quits halfway through training.

The former SpaceX engineer is the first astronaut to quit NASA training for more than 50 years, citing "personal reasons".

https://news.sky.com/story/nasa-astr...ining-11485387

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Did You See Them For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (30th August 2018), mojo (30th August 2018)

19. Link to Post #31
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,690 times in 13,806 posts

Hey Mojo, I'll let Senator Blumenthal tell it!

I for one will join in with anyone, I don't care what color you are as long as you want to change this miserable condition that exists on this Earth - Malcolm X / Tsar Of The Star

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

KiwiElf (1st June 2019), mojo (1st June 2019), mountain_jim (1st June 2019), OldArcher (18th July 2019), XelNaga (27th November 2019)

21. Link to Post #32
    United States Avalon Member mojo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,430 times in 5,646 posts

WOW Star Tsar!!!!!!!!!! Thats incredible to hear and leads to so many possibilities... In a way its unfair to hear such a tidbit without knowing the threat but maybe all the news reporting is getting people ready to hear it. I think Trump will declassify.... crazy times we're in....

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mojo For This Post:

KiwiElf (1st June 2019), OldArcher (18th July 2019), Star Tsar (1st June 2019)

23. Link to Post #33
    United States Avalon Member OldArcher's Avatar
    Thanks

Omni wrote, "I personally agree with a proper military space force. Ending all standing armies and turning the societal structure into a space program." I wholeheartedly concur. I'm all for peace- have seen war, fifty years ago, and am not a fan- though we were led to believe it was truly necessary. Now, at the age of sixty-nine, I question the sanity of Man, where we are constantly at war, within the realm of Man, fighting wars amongst ourselves, rather than preparing to defend ourselves against potential hostiles abroad in the universe. "Si vis pacem, para bellum." Translated from Latin to English, "If you want peace, prepare for war." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus, also remembered as, General Vegetius, of the Roman Army. He was correct in his analysis of the human condition, and penchant for war.

OldArcher
    Dowsing for Life! Dowsing gives and brings life, and confidence! There are NO unhappy Dowsers!

24. Link to Post #34
    Thanks

Quote Posted by NeedleThreader (here)
    That would be quiet the feat. I can imagine probes and space drones monitoring this amount of space but controlled? After all the craft I have seen leaving and coming into our atmosphere, this would almost make sense! If there are just blatantly using the advanced tech to run trade routes and policing of space, that would be intense, would love to be pointed to more interviews with this info, Ill start looking myself and post back here if I find anything.

After reading these posts, it would make sense if all this 'was in place' and they had Trump give this statement as a precursor to what was in the pipeline.

I have never understood why UFOs have a 'white light' that is visible on the spectrum perceivable, by our eyes. Most UFOs are only filmed because of this white light that lets you see it at night. Why would they do this? Why not stealth it up? How on EARTH are they using 'lights', so similar to what we know here at all?

Omni: I am having trouble connecting with your idea of building an army to eventually do battle with the cosmos, or as you put it, build up a large enough army so no force will mess with you. The exotic technologies that other alien civilizations must have are completely unfathomable and would be impossible to predict their weapons systems, strategies, and motives.

Imagine the earth joining together for the first time in history to fight an unearthly foe. At this point the earth has spent untold trillions of money units to build a space war ship/mother ship, for interplanetary travel. All it would take is some aliens to decide they do not like this idea, they zoom in on undetectable 'cloak/invisible mode', and send a single EMP or some other devastating device unto the ship. I mean, we still rely on electricity to do everything. Even banana girl probably uses a blender for her banana smoothies.

Maybe in a thousand years after another civilization fail or two.

Foxie, nothing would make me happier if Russia and America came together and overthrew the powers that be. Giddy with joy I would be, but I am not so sure we can pull that away from the Summit meeting, a few rehearsed lines exchanged between leaders to the world is nothing groundbreaking and new. However, the proof is in the pudding and we shall see, I will ride off of your optimism on this one!
    Everyone, please remember what President Reagan said, as to the Soviets (understanding the Russians are no less soft than their Communist forbearers)- "Trust, but verify." Mr. Reagan judged them correctly, and one must never forget that Vladimir Putin WAS a high level KGB officer. You don't get to be a Colonel, only drinking vodka at parties.

OldArcher
    Dowsing for Life! Dowsing gives and brings life, and confidence! There are NO unhappy Dowsers!

25. Link to Post #35
    Thanks

Fellow Aspirant, I find it interesting that some would think that space combat or defense would be relegated to control by "nerds." Sitting in a control room, far removed from the scene of combat, regardless of how "inefficient" frail humans can be, is humorous. Ponder this, if you will- Suppose that Man has succeeded in reverse engineering ET technology, or has formed alliances with ETs. Along with either possibility, artificial gravity, inertia controls, the sci-fi equivalent of "force fields" have been attained or received. If space combat becomes fact, rather than fiction, I'd rather have those with "The Right Stuff," as in the astronauts I've met, at the controls, at the weapon's stations, than only having an AI work the problem. Humans, provided intel, knowledge, and skills, might well be superior, at least at this time, in communications and negotiations, if at all possible. If Mankind becomes spacefaring, we will need to work with ET's, and that means interfacing with them. Maybe ET AI's can handle that, but I'd prefer Humans to have the oversight and operational control.

We won't always be in LEO. It's in our nature to always push the envelope, to know what's out there. Nerds do that vicariously. The men and women that take the risks, and hang it all out there, have skin in the game. Somebody else will drive the "trash trucks" that clear LEO- not those who "man" Mankind's investment in becoming a "spacefaring nation," and by that, I mean Earth. This lunacy of fighting amongst ourselves, has got to stop. Those who won't, need to remember that it's the fate and future of Man- or perish. Harsh, but true. I WANT my children, and theirs, and theirs, etcetera, EVERYONE'S children, to have a chance at "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness..." Until there is peace, the hopes and dreams of Man, are on hold, or are in jeopardy...

Yeah, I drag my knuckles, drool, and am old fashioned. But, hey, that's just me...

OldArcher
    Last edited by OldArcher; 18th July 2019 at 02:11.

26. Link to Post #36
    Thanks

Larry, don't you mean that our communications are facilitated by satellites, rather than controlled by them?

OldArcher

27. Link to Post #37
    Thanks

Quote Posted by A Voice from the Mountains (here)
    Quote Posted by NeedleThreader (here)
    After all the craft I have seen leaving and coming into our atmosphere, this would almost make sense! If there are just blatantly using the advanced tech to run trade routes and policing of space, that would be intense, would love to be pointed to more interviews with this info, Ill start looking myself and post back here if I find anything.
    Speaking of trade routes, that does make a lot of sense.

Joseph P. Farrell has already been arguing that the SSP secured its funding by promising the central bankers that they would return their investment in gold and other valuable minerals mined from space. This agreement is the source of the famous "fake" US bonds with space symbolism on them, denominated in insane dollar amounts.

In other words, the same way the early European explorers promised their investors a share of the gold and any other loot they returned from the Americas with, the military contractors involved with the space program secured investments by also promising a share of the "loot" in return.

It's only a small step from Dr. Farrell's theory, to imagining that the grand commercial trade routes to space minerals is already established and operational. And we could be talking trillions of dollars worth of raw materials.
    Well reasoned, A Voice from the Mountains. If you're going to invest your precious treasure, those manning and spearheading Human spacefaring efforts, it only makes sense to expect a reasonable return on that investment. Trade routes make sense, and depending upon the alliances and relations with other races/species, it behooves us to be more honorable and even handed with others, than we have been, collectively, in our past...

OldArcher

28. Link to Post #38
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Ron Mauer Sr (here)
    It is likely another way to send money to the military-industrial-complex and to those who profit from it.
    Alfred Thayer Mahan's "Manifest Destiny" did not serve us well, after more than a century in practice. Gunboat diplomacy on an interplanetary or interstellar scale would only bring about more enemies than we currently have. Considering the fact that everybody now operating along planetary/stellar trade routes might well be superior to what we may now, theoretically have, it's a non-starter. Rather than looking to take unfair advantage of others, we will be the ones with cap extended for handouts- technology, intel, ect. Nope, we must never get into positions whereby others can look at us, and see us as little better than bullies or locusts...

As to Pres. Eisenhower's "military-industrial complex" warning, we are, unfortunately there, or on it's cusp. Responsibility and accountability must be the norm. If not, we carry our sins, flaws, and weaknesses to the stars. That would be a tragedy that our race might never recover from.

OldArcher

29. The Following User Says Thank You to OldArcher For This Post:

Ron Mauer Sr (18th July 2019)

30. Link to Post #39
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Omni (here)
    While I do agree with a planetary space force (as seen in my first post), I do not believe the current military hierarchy will manage it with pure intent...
    Concur, Omni. Those that lead the Space Force must be vetted for suitability- if it were possible, to have been bred and trained to accept the stark responsibilities for posts that have the very safety and future of Earth in their hands. Not since the Cold War, when men sat in silos, roamed beneath the hostile seas, or flew near, or sometimes within "enemy" territory, have such warriors been on such long patrols or deployments.

No, I do not refer to our brave men and women who have put so much on the line, and put so much down range... THEY are the greatest generation, no disrespect to my Father's generation, or my own, but many of our young people have more trigger time, than all previous wars America has fought in.

No, the Space Force, or whatever folks want to call it, will have some of those magnificent warriors, but mostly as ship or base security. Assaults or ship boarding's will come to pass. Until then, astronaut/cosmonaut type personnel will be necessary, similar to submarines, surface combatants, and fighter or bomber pilots and crews. The "field of combat" will necessarily be different, and require superb training- from working on ship's systems, to fighting the ships themselves. The skillsets of such organizations, is mindboggling. It will take, or has taken, decades to achieve such professionalism. Started far enough back, as far as we can extrapolate the formation of a Secret Space Force, the learning curve would have begun steeply, and then leveled out into a steady progression of professionalism and technical excellence. If we're just starting now, we're w-a-y t-o-o l-a-t-e... We don't have much, if any, time, before we must emigrate, colonize, and become self sufficient.

Sorry for pontificating.

OldArcher

31. Link to Post #40
    Thanks

mojo, I'm not sanguine with putting Earth's Space Force at the mercy of flaky, irresponsible, possibly corrupt, politicians. Too much rides upon too few, to ensure our very survival. Expand- explore, colonize, build self sufficient hubs of civilization, where trade can expand the sphere of human influence. We'll need trained, ethical people to do this, and it will take time... Just remember, the primary concern or interest of any organism, living or artificial, as in government and business, exists only to replicate itself, and to perpetuate itself. If that is it's prime directive, and people hold the reins of power, self destruction is already built in. We MUST change and adapt- or perish.

OldArcher

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 5 LastLast