+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst 1 10 18 LastLast

Thread: When men were men & women were feminine

1. Link to Post #181
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,692 times in 8,940 posts

Default Re: When men were men & women were feminine

Not only opinions on homosexuals from some posters in this thread are derogatory, but also some strong opinions about what women feminity should and should’nt be, comparisons between women from different countries, backgrounds or times, to the detriment of the actual North American women (and Europeans as well) all without objective historia and cultural context is really hitting women and homosexuals in a rather ... well.., gosh it hurts, I thought We had to go back to what I have seen being done to gays and women half a century ago.

Would have been so nice to have this topic discussed based on actual cultural studies and historical facts instead of dreamland sources. Every post having to bring supportive evidence, instead of mere opinions (often biaised for lack of information or skewed belief system from the given poster)

Quote Posted by loungelizard (here)
    Quote Posted by greybeard (here)
    I am sorry that some have been hurt by posts on this thread--that certainly was not my intention on starting the thread which has wandered far from the original post and that's fine.
    When people are free to voice their opinions then unfortunately people can feel hurt.

Chris

Your contributions to this forum are a good example of how to express an opinion simply and without causing pain.
    On the other hand, a few of the posts on this thread go far beyond mere opinions: they may masquerade as opinions but
    are deliberately contrived to cause hurt and to spread division and bigotry.

There is a massive difference between voicing your opinions and being insulting, hostile and disparaging.
    When someone explains, rationally and politely, why they don’t approve of, for example, same-sex marriage,
    I would respect their opinion.

But if they try insist that gays are deviants (as one poster here has done) or resort to inflammatory or
    toxic language with the intention of demonising a particular group, they’re not just voicing an opinion.
    They’re using verbal aggression to imply that not everyone in this world has equal rights.

In fact, the venomous nature of some of the posts here does bring to mind the old adage
    "Homophobes Might Be Hidden Homosexuals" :
    A new analysis of implicit bias and explicit sexual orientation statements may help to explain
    the underpinnings of anti-gay bullying and hate crimes

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...n-homosexuals/

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Whatever works.
    Chris
    And wouldn’t the world be a much happier place if people acted in accordance with those simple words?
    Last edited by Flash; 17th September 2018 at 22:35.
    How to let the desire of your mind become the desire of your heart - Gurdjieff

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (18th September 2018), Bruno (18th September 2018), greybeard (18th September 2018), hermit (28th September 2018), Mike (18th September 2018), petra (5th October 2018), what is a name? (18th September 2018)

3. Link to Post #182
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,860 times in 11,838 posts

The thread started off as fairly specific--Men and Women in a fairly specific time period from a single point of view.
    I was there then, that was my experience
    Some will agree some not.

People experience very often according to their mind set.
    Some just dont see the good--some dont see the opposite.

Its all Maya, but very real in this world of duality.

Statistics--how do you measure respect and community togetherness?

However the media of today give statistics of ever increasing divorce rates--suicides --anti depressant sales up through the roof--self harm, increased crimes of violence, moped mugging gangs, paramedics , firemen being assaulted. stabbings, drive by shootings, increasing rapes of females and males, even more child abuse, though thats not new, parents killing their children, Drs and nurses killing patients.
    The list is endless.
    Now I could say that lack of a stable upbringing is the cause--there might be statistics to prove for or against--I dont know.

Anyway I have respect for all opinions and dont dismiss them out of hand even when I dont agree.
    I thank all posts because the person took the time and effort to contribute.
    I disagree with quite a few posts on this thread, but their experience is valid for them.

Chris
    Last edited by greybeard; 18th September 2018 at 07:50.
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (18th September 2018), Bruno (18th September 2018), hermit (28th September 2018), petra (21st February 2019), Vicus (17th October 2021)

5. Link to Post #183
    Language
    English
    Thanks

One word running through this thread "RESPECT" or lack of it.

Chris

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (27th September 2018), Ivanhoe (29th October 2018)

7. Link to Post #184
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Only Fools And Horses viewers 'would call Del Boy a pervert in 2018', says Marlene
    Del Boy is considered one of British TV's finest comedy characters

He is one of the greatest comedy characters in British TV, the hapless wheeler dealer loved for his get-rich-quick schemes, Cockney catchphrases and dodgy French.

But a former Only Fools And Horses star has said viewers in 2018 would probably not see the funny side of Del Boy if he came new to our TV screens today.

Sue Holderness, who played Boycie's flirtatious wife Marlene in the 1980s sitcom - which starred Sir David Jason and Nicholas Lyndhurst as Derek and Rodney Trotter - says political correctness has gone too far and people now would be calling for Del to be locked up.

"The very first episode, Del gave me a big hug, kissed me fondly and pinched my arse and nobody took any offence at it, except Boycie who looked daggers," she said.

"And every time we met that would happen. It's quite fun."

Holderness said she feels sorry for men nowadays "because I don't know how you cope".

"I don't think you would get away with Del Boy pinching Marlene's bottom without everybody saying, 'He's a pervert and that shouldn't be allowed and he should be locked-up.'"

The 69-year-old said that while she supports movements such as #MeToo , men now "don't know how to behave" because "almost anything can be deemed inappropriate".

"A wolf whistle isn't supposed to be allowed now, which I think is such a pity," she said. "It has gone too far.

"I'm sure it will swing back and eventually we'll be able to flirt away again, but at the moment I don't think it's possible."

She went on to discuss criticism of the show being racist, saying: "There have been people saying you could never make Only Fools And Horses now, that it was racist.

"It wasn't remotely racist. Del and Rodney and all that community, there wasn't a racist ounce in their body."

Holderness also spoke about her experiences of the gender pay gap, saying: "Of course women should be paid as much as men. I'm praying that there will be more parts written for women, which is happening.

"I was paid much, much less than John Challis (Boycie) on Only Fools And Horses, and when we got to (spin-off) The Green Green Grass, the BBC did the decent thing and we got parity."

Holderness is reuniting with Sir David in the new series of BBC1 sitcom Still Open All Hours.

She said working with him again for the first time since 2001 felt "like coming home" and "putting on some old slippers".

This what I have been trying to get across--and this was written by a woman who was there, then.

Where has the "fun " gone?

Chris
    https://uk.yahoo.com/movies/only-foo...140800837.html
    Last edited by greybeard; 5th October 2018 at 10:07.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

ByTheNorthernSea (5th October 2018), Gracy (5th October 2018), Valerie Villars (5th October 2018)

9. Link to Post #185
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,393 times in 3,308 posts

[QUOTE=Flash;1249032]Not only opinions on homosexuals from some posters in this thread are derogatory, but also some strong opinions about what women feminity should and should’nt be, comparisons between women from different countries, backgrounds or times, to the detriment of the actual North American women (and Europeans as well) all without objective historia and cultural context is really hitting women and homosexuals in a rather ... well.., gosh it hurts, I thought We had to go back to what I have seen being done to gays and women half a century ago.

Would have been so nice to have this topic discussed based on actual cultural studies and historical facts instead of dreamland sources. Every post having to bring supportive evidence, instead of mere opinions (often biaised for lack of information or skewed belief system from the given poster)

[QUOTE=loungelizard;1249006]
    I am sorry that some have been hurt by posts on this thread--that certainly was not my intention on starting the thread which has wandered far from the original post and that's fine.
    When people are free to voice their opinions then unfortunately people can feel hurt.

Chris

Your contributions to this forum are a good example of how to express an opinion simply and without causing pain.
    On the other hand, a few of the posts on this thread go far beyond mere opinions: they may masquerade as opinions but
    are deliberately contrived to cause hurt and to spread division and bigotry.

There is a massive difference between voicing your opinions and being insulting, hostile and disparaging.
    When someone explains, rationally and politely, why they don’t approve of, for example, same-sex marriage,
    I would respect their opinion.

But if they try insist that gays are deviants (as one poster here has done) or resort to inflammatory or
    toxic language with the intention of demonising a particular group, they’re not just voicing an opinion.
    They’re using verbal aggression to imply that not everyone in this world has equal rights.

In fact, the venomous nature of some of the posts here does bring to mind the old adage
    "Homophobes Might Be Hidden Homosexuals" :
    A new analysis of implicit bias and explicit sexual orientation statements may help to explain
    the underpinnings of anti-gay bullying and hate crimes

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...n-homosexuals/

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Whatever works.
    Chris
    And wouldn’t the world be a much happier place if people acted in accordance with those simple words? :thumbsup

:[

Below is a quote from one of your earlier posts on this thread, Flash. I would call that a derogatory opinion.

Quote All todays stats says the same: women make 30% less than men on average, and work twice as hard in the workforce, which in fact makes a 70% differential. It was also that way in the old time. I have seen it my whole life. Very few woman really have the steady support of their male, independently of the culture, civilisation, or Rockerfellers of this world - the latter only utilised a pre-existing make up.
    Last edited by Pam; 5th October 2018 at 13:53.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

greybeard (5th October 2018), petra (21st February 2019)

11. Link to Post #186
    Language
    English
    Thanks

My last post was really expressing my feelings and in line with the thread heading, nothing to do with predudice in any form --the thread got expanded, you might say hijacked, beyond the original intention--thats ok

ch

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (5th October 2018), petra (21st February 2019)

13. Link to Post #187
    Language
    English
    Thanks

There has been some scientific studies into the effect on the birth control pill and its effects on what women perceive to be attractive in a man as a result of continued use.

In summary, women that have continually used the pill, as a method of birth control have found "masculine" looking men less attractive and found men that are more feminine in appearance more attractive.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...ne-men/274464/

Its quite fascinating reading...

Its also very much a cultural thing I feel also, depending on the cultural background and what is perceived as "attractive" as this varies wildly. Beauty as they say is in the eye of the beholder....and depends if you are on birth control or not...apparently.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pigsy2400 For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (27th October 2018), greybeard (5th October 2018), Vicus (17th October 2021)

15. Link to Post #188
    Australia Avalon Member
    Thanks

We have to live as man or a woman many times, therein lie the karmic penalties for cruel treatment. If this was realised it would make a difference to men.
    Chivalry is not dead, but not always appreciated these days
    In a mystical sense a woman is a reflection of the Godess who creates, and therefore worthy of respect.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to britman For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (27th October 2018), greybeard (27th October 2018), Valerie Villars (27th October 2018), Vangelo (27th October 2018), Wind (27th October 2018)

17. Link to Post #189
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by britman (here)
    We have to live as man or a woman many times, therein lie the karmic penalties for cruel treatment. If this was realised it would make a difference to men.
    In a mystical sense a woman is a reflection of the Godess who creates, and therefore worthy of respect.
    You will have seen a lot in your years here britman.
    Yes women are deserving of respect.
    If men had to go through the 9 month of carrying then give birth---then the population would be very much smaller.
    The Mother is the first and most important teacher.
    Chris

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (27th October 2018), Pam (29th October 2018)

19. Link to Post #190
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,692 times in 8,940 posts

Couldn't resist

Role reversal comedy, when a macho unconscious man is treated as women are by macho as unconscious women - if you speak French it is funnier, the American remake of this French comedy has not been made yet (I always prefer the originals anyhow, in whichever language)

How to let the desire of your mind become the desire of your heart - Gurdjieff

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Bruno (29th October 2018), greybeard (29th October 2018)

21. Link to Post #191
    United States Avalon Member Ba-ba-Ra's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,315 times in 1,567 posts

Quote Posted by britman (here)
    Quote Yes women are deserving of respect.
    Everyone is deserving of respect

Quote If men had to go through the 9 month of carrying then give birth---then the population would be very much smaller.
    Maybe. If you are suggesting carrying a baby for 9 months is hard work, I would say only in the last month. Whereas many men who have to do hard physical labor for a lifetime.

Quote The Mother is the first and most important teacher.
    Chris
    Perhaps, but in a 2 parent family I'm seeing fathers being equally important teachers - and sometimes grandparents. I'm not trying to diminish the women's role here. Hopefully what I'm conveying again is equality. Here in the US, a good percentage of the mother's go back to work after 3 months. Sometimes nannies are employed, sometimes grandparents take over, oftentimes the children go immediately into daycare. In some cases, where the woman makes more money, the father's stay home with the child.

Blessed are the cracked, for they are the ones who let in the light!

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ba-ba-Ra For This Post:

Flash (29th October 2018), greybeard (29th October 2018), petra (21st November 2018)

23. Link to Post #192
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Yes Ba-ba-Ra
    Respect and equality.
    When I said carrying, it was more the things that go with being pregnant--morning sickness--sore backs-the works.
    Thanks for your post.
    Chris

24. The Following User Says Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (29th October 2018)

25. Link to Post #193
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,078 times in 2,355 posts

Some things that reminded me of this thread in the news lately:

Quote This Picture Sums It Up Pretty Well… Transgender Wrestler Taking Testosterone Injections Wins 2nd Texas ‘Girls’ State Wrestling Title

The Washington Times reported:

For the second year in a row, a transgender wrestler has won the Texas girls’ Class 6A 110-pound division.

Mack Beggs, an 18-year-old senior from Euless Trinity High School near Dallas, entered the tournament in Cypress outside of Houston with an undefeated record. He beat Chelsea Sanchez — whom he beat for the title in 2017- in the final match Saturday.

Video posted online showed a mix of cheers and boos from the crowd following Beggs‘ win.

Beggs is in the process of transitioning from female to male and taking a low-dose of testosterone.

Mack Beggs won the title last year too.

Mark Beggs is transgendering to be a boy.
    https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/201...estling-title/

I don't even know where to start commenting on this. First of all, wrestling is just such a feminine thing for women to be doing in the first place, you have to laugh. Second, this girl "identifies" as a boy, yet she's still on the girls' wrestling team? And then for supposedly sane adults to let her take testosterone injections and then beat up on estrogen-filled girls on a wrestling mat, and the adults responsible pretend that it's in any way fair purely on the level of sportsmanship? And this is happening in Texas? Not even under the early Soviet government or during the Weimar period have I heard of so much gender-confusion stacked up in one place.

And then there's this: a feminist who is brought to tears after simply being asked if men and women have natural, biological strengths and weaknesses in relation to one another.

First she's asked what women are better at than men, and she has no problem answering that, and seems very enthusiastic.

Then she's asked what men are better at than women, and can't think of anything, except, finally, after a lot of hesitation, she says something like "guarding their emotions," which is obviously meant in a condescending and derogatory way.

When the guy interviewing her suggests other things that men naturally tend to be better at, she gets really awkward, and then literally goes off and starts crying. SJWism has become a religion, and its followers absolutely cannot tolerate religious dissent, even from basic scientific facts of biology.

26. Link to Post #194
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Woman snaps after date refuses to pay her £99 food bill
    https://uk.yahoo.com/style/woman-sna...133510610.html

A guy has shared the barrage of abusive messages he received from a woman, after refusing to pay for her food after a date.

And while that may sound like a douche move, the internet is actually on his side.

Taking to Reddit to share a series of screenshots of the conversation, user CuteBananaMuffin explained he thought the date had gone pretty well until he messaged the woman to ask her out again.

In a thread titled ‘Well… There goes the ‘friendship’ with her’ he revealed that she had expected him to pay her for her meal, even though it was six-times more expensive than his.

“After what you did to me last time you expect me to go out with you again? Wow,” she launched the attack.

When the man, thought to be from Ireland, asked what he had done she replied, “You made me pay for my own food and drink while you paid for only yours wtf.”

But he was quick to defend himself.

“So? You invited me lol, you are lucky you didn’t pay for my food too, plus I got a carbonara and a beer while you got lobster and €80 [£72] wine.‘

“My food was €17.50 (£19) while yours was €110 [£99]. And you were really expecting me to pay that? I’m a student not your sugar daddy.”

She refused to see any reason however, going on to slam the guy as “so rude”, and going so far as to say that he was clearly “gay” because “gentlemen ALWAYS pay for a girl’s food”.

She finished up by saying, “F*** off. All you wanted was to just have sex with me, bye loser.”

Chris says
    "Well that's not my idea of feminine."

27. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

anandacate (26th July 2020), Kate (26th July 2020), kudzy (26th July 2020), petra (21st February 2019), Vicus (17th October 2021)

28. Link to Post #195
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,362 times in 32,780 posts

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

anandacate (26th July 2020), Anka (25th July 2020), Harmony (12th September 2020), Yoda (26th July 2020)

30. Link to Post #196
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Thanks Bill -- Those were the days -- life so simple.
    Relatively free.
    Chris

31. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

anandacate (26th July 2020), Anka (25th July 2020), Bill Ryan (25th July 2020), happyuk (11th September 2020), Harmony (12th September 2020), Kate (26th July 2020)

32. Link to Post #197
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,598 times in 5,379 posts

I think it is the man that brings out the female in a woman. And the woman who brings out the male in a man.

Bull**** posturing quickly melts away when one meets the other.
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

33. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

anandacate (26th July 2020), Anka (25th July 2020), Bill Ryan (25th July 2020), East Sun (11th September 2020), greybeard (25th July 2020), happyuk (11th September 2020), Harmony (12th September 2020), Lunesoleil (29th December 2020), meeradas (25th July 2020)

34. Link to Post #198
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,362 times in 32,780 posts

35. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Anka (11th September 2020), greybeard (11th September 2020), Harmony (12th September 2020), wegge (11th September 2020), Yoda (12th September 2020)

36. Link to Post #199
    Language
    English
    Thanks

It would seem that men are becoming more feminine and women more bullish or is that my imagination?
    Chris

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

East Sun (12th September 2020), Vicus (17th October 2021)

38. Link to Post #200
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,082 times in 817 posts

Throwing this into the mix,

synthesizing the panorama of Sexuality and Gender Identity within Shamanism,

Introduction - 00:00
    Spirit Spouse - 01:50
    Spirit Spouse Gender - 08:55
    Feminine Tutelary Spirits - 18:30
    Shamanic Sexual illness - 35:50
    Gender and Sexual Identity in Shamanism - 45:00
    Old Norse "Spirit Spouse - 56:53

Last edited by Dorjezigzag; 11th September 2020 at 22:07.
    “One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious. The latter procedure, however, is disagreeable and therefore not popular.” (Carl Jung)

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dorjezigzag For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th September 2020), Harmony (12th September 2020)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst 1 10 18 LastLast