Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1 5 15 18 LastLast

Thread: When men were men & women were feminine

1. Link to Post #81
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,372 times in 1,413 posts

Default Re: When men were men & women were feminine

Quote Posted by Valerie Villars (here)
    I have noticed that fake breasts aside, many young women are much more curvy than we were and I think it's all the hormones in the food.
    I think you're absolutely right, and I've suspected the same thing for quite some time. The kids are like giants to me sometimes an it almost makes me laugh. I can actually live off of Kids Meals, because to me, it's a normal-size-person meal

Quote Posted by Valerie Villars (here)
    But, the amount of plastic surgery is astounding, at least here in America and you just don't know what anyone was born with anymore. I mean they have men getting chest and calf implants and girls getting lipo, butt implants, breast implants. It's insane the attention paid to impossible standards for normal people.
    It's freaking me out too. Recently I read a girl say that she simply could not leave the house without her fake lashes, and my mind was just blown. Also I wonder how many people have died over the course of time due to high heels. Surely those were not invented by woman!

Quote Posted by greybeard (here)
    Some psychologists say that women dress for other women---
    Certainly women tend to remember what other women wore at a function.
    Men don't have a clue. Laughing.
    I get the impression that some women are very much in competition with other women--as far as dress goes.
    Men I think are more in competition in a physical way--ie what they do --their status etc.
    Were back to males and females being different.
    When you get a woman who is the "power behind the throne" then that couple tend to be successful as a unit and more often than not happy together.
    Well that's food for thought. I don't care about my clothes any more... but I remember when I did care! I was trying to "fit in" with my crowd - but it wasn't a competition. Looking back now it's embarrassing to think about. We must have looked like a bunch of clones...

In my family my mother took care of everything, except for making money, which was father's job. It worked really well, for them.

I must take after my dad, because I'd rather be the power behind the power behind the throne... if you get my drift I could lead I guess - I think I'd be a good leader - I'd just rather not

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to petra For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (17th August 2018), Ba-ba-Ra (17th August 2018), greybeard (16th August 2018), loungelizard (28th August 2018), Pam (17th August 2018), Valerie Villars (17th August 2018), Violet (16th August 2018)

3. Link to Post #82
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,860 times in 11,838 posts

Another perspective yet again and to be very clear its not mine.

When I was fourteen I had a female friend who was eighteen or there about.
    She really was a looker and some one put rumours about that she was a "sex worker"

She said to me " Marriage is just legalized prostitution"

That's from a young female way back then.

Sad!!!

Chris
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (17th August 2018), loungelizard (28th August 2018), Pam (17th August 2018), Valerie Villars (17th August 2018)

5. Link to Post #83
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,393 times in 3,308 posts

Quote Ever seen a 130-pound woman try to drag a grievously-wounded 200 pound man off the battlefield while under fire? I've heard stories, and they weren't pretty. But maybe you should start getting your daughters/granddaughters prepared for it now, so they'll be ready when progress comes knocking.
    When I used to work for the Sheriff's office as a dispatcher, I remember that many of the female cops would do strenuous workouts to build strength. Even with all that diligence, they didn't compare with the average man in strength. They were definitely stronger than the average woman and I admired the commitment. I know there are some rare exceptions of women who devote their entire lives to build strength but day to day, women don't compare.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (17th August 2018), greybeard (17th August 2018), loungelizard (28th August 2018), Valerie Villars (17th August 2018)

7. Link to Post #84
    United States Avalon Member Ba-ba-Ra's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,315 times in 1,567 posts

My experience has only been in my country, but it seems to me that competition in women has become stronger through the years.

Rather than a sisterhood and a support group, who shared in coffee clatches and sewing circles; we've gone to competing in the job market, not just with each other, but with men.

Then there are the many TV shows called: The Housewifes of (you fill in the blank) that seem to glamorize women fighting and competing.
    Blessed are the cracked, for they are the ones who let in the light!

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ba-ba-Ra For This Post:

greybeard (17th August 2018), Lettherebelight (17th August 2018), loungelizard (28th August 2018), Pam (18th August 2018), Valerie Villars (17th August 2018)

9. Link to Post #85
    Thanks

First big step back into the pond. Long one. You've been warned.

I want to begin by saying I'm not actively attempting to offend here, but point out something that I'm seeing in this thread that hasn't been addressed that needs to maybe be considered.

What if, to begin with, we're working from a premise that's not being examined fully? A premise that in fact isn't as wonderful as it may seem?

Greybeard, would your experiences have been the same if you had been black man in South Africa in the same time period? Or a gay man in Great Britain?

I'm trying to point out that the experience you're sharing here is limited by certain confines that we're all subject to. So for an example, I as a queer man can't possibly know what it's like to be a heterosexual woman. I can try! But that challenge forces me into an uncomfortable position in which I have to attempt to cross the road.

Crossing the road is an idea I came across when I was studying Franciscan Theology as part of my postulancy. It starts with the story of Francis, a young man in the middle ages, attempting to put himself closer in touch with the divine by living the principles of his faith. Unfortunately for him, this meant coming to terms with the reality that our labels, our ideas about categories of people, how we define individuals, while holding value personally can often put us in spaces that are comfortably spaced to prevent from significantly interacting, or understanding the other's point of view.

In Francis' case, this meant lepers. Lepers in Francis' day were the untouchables not because of anything that was done, but because a disease took hold and or the safety of the community they had to isolate themselves. People who weren't lepers convinced themselves that it was because of some sin that God deemed them to be condemned to live like this.

But Francis wanted to approach it differently. He wanted to move beyond the labels and ideals to see what was really happening here--namely, that in truth he was the leper and the leper was him.

In this case, I'm going to suggest that because the original premise was made from a point of view that was limited, and although it may still have value, it doesn't include the idea that there may be other ways of perceiving what that time period was like.

And as difficult as it may be, I think the responsible thing here is to consider how to expand the perception to include other ideas that, while maybe uncomfortable, may hold some value if they're looked at without fear.

As a caveat, I'm going to also say that I believe with almost 100% certainty that those who want to manipulate a society for their own ends will take advantage of the road existing. That doesn't, however, give an excuse for not at least attempting to broaden our understanding beyond the binary.

At the very least--what if the binary understanding of gender and sexuality is wrong?

Just because an idea is uncomfortable to embrace doesn't mean it's false. But, that fear is motivating a lot of people to act out of fear rather than taking the time to breath and consider.

I feel like I may have just plopped ideas out here, and maybe need to tighten and focus them through subsequent posts. For those of you in this thread, is anything I'm saying resonating?

Hermit (aka the artist formerly known as Milneman)

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to hermit For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (18th August 2018), Antagenet (4th September 2018), Ba-ba-Ra (18th August 2018), greybeard (18th August 2018), loungelizard (28th August 2018), pabranno (18th August 2018), Pam (18th August 2018), Sarah Rainsong (11th September 2020), Wind (18th August 2018)

11. Link to Post #86
    Language
    English
    Thanks

thank you very much for your post Hermit
    Certainly my experience would have been different in the situations you mention, though I have experienced prejudice against me for various reasons.
    One of the reasons for starting this thread was that I wanted to get the different viewpoints discussed. No point in debate if everyone has the same opinion.
    Chris

Ps Im married to a black lady from Cameroon and of course her viewpoint differs from mine as you would expect.
    It might be interesting to check the link on my signature.
    Last edited by greybeard; 17th August 2018 at 21:20.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (18th August 2018), Ba-ba-Ra (18th August 2018), hermit (17th August 2018), loungelizard (28th August 2018), pabranno (18th August 2018), Pam (18th August 2018), Wind (18th August 2018)

13. Link to Post #87
    Thanks

That's beautifully put. And exactly the point I may have not made so well. It's the prejudice you've experienced that is the gift you have received, the gift you then use to develop the empathy needed in crossing the road.

Take the emotions, the feelings, the experience of the discrimination, and use that to empathize with the individual you're seeing. The individual you're confronted with that challenges the ideas you're safe with. That's what crossing the road is.

We're not limited by our experiences! Rather, our experiences are what challenge us to expand our thoughts and ideas, and maybe see that we've been limited by ideas we've held.

But how wonderful...how much time we have to try something new. That's a gift as well.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hermit For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (18th August 2018), greybeard (17th August 2018), loungelizard (28th August 2018), Wind (18th August 2018)

15. Link to Post #88
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Yes you gain "spiritual" muscle from the weights you lift.

My dad said to me after I had nearly died from a burst spleen.
    "Reflect on upon your past misfortunes of which you have had a few but your current blessings of which there are many..

His life at home was so bad that he ran away to join the Navy at the age of 15 and found himself on board ship at The Battle of Jutland--Ships being blown up many being killed--No doubt a horrendous experience.

His father was an alcoholic--his mum tried to commit suicide.

So I did not come from an upper class family--but dad was a gentleman and treated all with respect.

Chris

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (18th August 2018), East Sun (17th August 2018), hermit (17th August 2018), loungelizard (28th August 2018), seko (19th August 2018), Valerie Villars (17th August 2018), Wind (18th August 2018)

17. Link to Post #89
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,078 times in 2,355 posts

Quote Posted by hermit (here)
    And as difficult as it may be, I think the responsible thing here is to consider how to expand the perception to include other ideas that, while maybe uncomfortable, may hold some value if they're looked at without fear.

As a caveat, I'm going to also say that I believe with almost 100% certainty that those who want to manipulate a society for their own ends will take advantage of the road existing. That doesn't, however, give an excuse for not at least attempting to broaden our understanding beyond the binary.

At the very least--what if the binary understanding of gender and sexuality is wrong?
    I agree that it's necessary to consider uncomfortable truths in order to move forward. But that goes both ways, and applies to homosexuals as well.

As far as what you choose to do in private, with a consenting adult, I don't care. You guys can do whatever. You're free, and I'm rather libertarian in that regard, so have at it.

BUT....

Where do you stand when it comes to introducing little children to this stuff? Because that's what's going on today.

Would you agree that children are very susceptible to being influenced by adults?

I think it's rather obvious that children are very easily pushed into things by adults, and in this case people are not just teaching kids to be tolerant of others, but actively pushing the idea onto them that homosexuality is a positive good and that they can even be gay before they've even gone through puberty.

Puberty is when children physically transition into adults, by having their reproductive system become active, with all of the hormones kicking in and everything else involved. Prior to that, why the need to press this stuff onto kids? They are admittedly psychologically ambiguous in terms of gender roles, simply because they don't have much estrogen or testosterone pumping through their bodies yet -- because they haven't matured into adults.

And people can't streak around half naked in public, doing all sorts of obscene things in these pride parades, without little kids being exposed to it. That's what it means to be doing this stuff in public. I don't see any need for it whatsoever.

On the subject of whether or not gender is truly a binary phenomenon, that's something that academics can investigate in an unbiased manner. Psychologists, anthropologists, physicians, etc., could all have some input on that.

For me, there are two things: biological gender, and someone's personal psychology. There are only 2 biological genders. Male and female. Put them together and they make babies. That's how mammals reproduce. We are not purely spiritual beings. We have physical bodies and there are consequences to that.

When you go outside of that physical reproductive system, you're no longer talking strictly biology, but human psychology and sociology. And though different institutions push different literature, there are in fact credible studies that show that social conditioning has a profound impact on sexual orientation and people are not simply "born that way." This is obvious enough from the fact that one third of Generation Z identifies as non-heterosexual according to an Ipsos study. That is a rate so far above and beyond previous generations' rate of non-heterosexuality, that it is obviously correlated to all of the "gay pride" stuff that's been pushing on kids in recent years. And that, in turn, proves that this is not simply a biological "born that way" phenomenon, which scientists have known for sure at least since the 1970's.

So to sum up, there are three things from me:
    1. I don't care what consenting adults do in private.
    2. Homosexuality is nonetheless heavily dependent upon social conditioning and is not a biological function.
    3. We shouldn't be pushing these ideas onto kids before they've even gone through puberty.

The vast majority of men are straight just like the vast majority of men have eyesight and can hear, and all of these things are for very practical biological reasons, to help our species survive. I don't see any reason why there should be a need to be promoting anything deviates from the natural biological norm in general, let alone to kids.

What it really boils down to is emasculating our society and contributing to depopulation, and destruction of the nuclear family (the nuclear family being a bastardization of the extended family networks most people once enjoyed).

18. Link to Post #90
    Language
    English
    Thanks

There are so many shades of grey in gender.
    I believe that people are born the way they are--there is no choice in this.

Children with straight parents turn out "otherwise"
    Children from other relationships dont follow what they have grown up with necessarily.

As said its a private matter.

Chris

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (18th August 2018), Hazelfern (18th August 2018), loungelizard (28th August 2018), Pam (18th August 2018)

20. Link to Post #91
    Language
    English
    Thanks

If Im promoting anything it would fall under the banner of "Respect"
    Any relationship is like a living entity --it has to be nourished for it to survive.

Seems people are more hung up on differences than similarities.
    If I needed a blood transfusion im not going to worry too much about the "details" of the donor---am I ?
    That might be an inconvenient truth.
    While the thread is at its root about masculinity and femininity and falsely created differences --extremes--as said there are may dgrees of feminity and masculinity.
    Al that can be said is the body is male or female and even then there can be variety.

I try to be true to my nature with all the conflicting thoughts therein.
    "Management of part"s is a good NLP book--every thought --idea brings up its opposite--"What if?"

All very interesting

Chris

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (18th August 2018), Hazelfern (18th August 2018), loungelizard (28th August 2018), Pam (18th August 2018), Wind (18th August 2018)

22. Link to Post #92
    Thanks

Quote Posted by hermit (here)
    That's beautifully put. And exactly the point I may have not made so well. It's the prejudice you've experienced that is the gift you have received, the gift you then use to develop the empathy needed in crossing the road.

Take the emotions, the feelings, the experience of the discrimination, and use that to empathize with the individual you're seeing. The individual you're confronted with that challenges the ideas you're safe with. That's what crossing the road is.

We're not limited by our experiences! Rather, our experiences are what challenge us to expand our thoughts and ideas, and maybe see that we've been limited by ideas we've held.

But how wonderful...how much time we have to try something new. That's a gift as well.

I think everyone has experienced injustice and challenges of some sort, even those that appear to have a easy, prosperous existence. In fact the beautiful people living in gilded cages may have been given the greatest challenges to overcome, whether they see it or not. These challenges are not limited to those that experience discrimination. Nobody gets it like they want it to be.
    Last edited by Pam; 18th August 2018 at 13:03.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Pam For This Post:

loungelizard (28th August 2018)

24. Link to Post #93
    United States Avalon Member Ba-ba-Ra's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,315 times in 1,567 posts

Quote Posted by A Voice from the Mountains (here)

Where do you stand when it comes to introducing little children to this stuff? Because that's what's going on today.

Recently, in Sacramento, California parents became aware that in a public 4th grade schoolroom, the teacher was telling children: That just because you were born a girl or boy, doesn't mean you have to remain that sex - you have choice.

When parents found out there were many objections. Should 8 and 9 year olds be introduced to such a concept and should it be taught in school.

Not in my world. I don't know what the outcome was of the above situation as it wasn't further reported on the local news. I do know many of the parents pulled there child out of that school.

But, is this where we are going . . .and why? A person can now join our armed services and then, if they decide to change their sex identification, the military pays for it.

I recently saw an item where scientists can change the sex of a mouse in laboratories - why are we even attempting these type of experiments. (couldn't find that article, but then there is this one.)

https://www.real.video/5823431329001 chemicals in the water changing male fish into females.

Greybeard, I do agree with your respect aspect and talked about it in my original post.. . .respect is an extremely important aspect of a civilized society, however, where do we, and should we, draw a line with this concept of unisex . . . or chose your own sex?!?
    Blessed are the cracked, for they are the ones who let in the light!

25. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ba-ba-Ra For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (18th August 2018), greybeard (18th August 2018), loungelizard (28th August 2018), Pam (18th August 2018), seko (19th August 2018), Valerie Villars (18th August 2018)

26. Link to Post #94
    Argentina Avalon Member Hazelfern's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,496 times in 348 posts

Quote So to sum up:

Homosexuality is nonetheless heavily dependent upon social conditioning and is not a biological function.
    You strike me as smart enough to not actually believe that.

Your thread took on a life of its own Chris! Let’s offend the already offended and downtrodden.
    Pot stirring is good fun. That’s all I am going to say about that.

If my house is on fire I want a man to pull me from danger. A woman would not be capable without hurting herself in the process.

Respect, decency and common sense.

Sorry for the disjointed thought process. In my case it is age related but hey - that's for another thread which I am sure has been covered! G'Day all!!

27. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hazelfern For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (18th August 2018), greybeard (18th August 2018), hermit (18th August 2018), loungelizard (28th August 2018), Pam (18th August 2018)

28. Link to Post #95
    Language
    English
    Thanks

The grass on the other side is always greener--as in "I would be happy if my body reflected my sexual orientation"--however some who made the change regretted it.
    You have raised another difficult question Ba-ba-Ra "however, where do we, and should we, draw a line with this concept of unisex . . . or chose your own sex?!?
    I would not be happy with that school and would exercise my choice by withdrawing a child I had there.
    I can draw my own line but not for others. The moment something is suppressed it grows in strength.
    However there is a time and place for every thing and I dont think teachers should bring up that particular subject to young children.

Chris

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (18th August 2018), loungelizard (28th August 2018)

30. Link to Post #96
    Thanks

Quote Posted by greybeard (here)
    The grass on the other side is always greener--as in "I would be happy if my body reflected my sexual orientation"--however some who made the change regretted it.
    You have raised another difficult question Ba-ba-Ra "however, where do we, and should we, draw a line with this concept of unisex . . . or chose your own sex?!?
    I would not be happy with that school and would exercise my choice by withdrawing a child I had there.
    I can draw my own line but not for others. The moment something is suppressed it grows in strength.
    However there is a time and place for every thing and I dont think teachers should bring up that particular subject to young children.

Chris
    I believe that there are a number of youth that go through the state of rebellion and discontent. In the past they might have been Goth, punk, hippies, or beatnicks or whatever. . Most did not maintain those identities throughout life, and most probably didn't find the inner satisfaction they were seeking. Promoting or allowing young people to make these permanent changes is ludicrous. Check out Youtube alone for the videos of people that have regretted transition surgeries. I am not saying everyone does, but you better make dang sure that is what you want before you do it. Certainly, no one should be influencing young people to take that stand. I have heard of children being given hormones before puberty, to me that is insanity.

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (18th August 2018), greybeard (18th August 2018), loungelizard (28th August 2018), Valerie Villars (18th August 2018)

32. Link to Post #97
    Thanks

Definitely needing to think this one through and come up with an appropriate response, but for the mean time:

Consider this: Let's take the gender and sexually diverse cards off the table, and pull that spectrum of thoughts and ideas out of the discussion. Because really, it's not necessary for this discussion to unfold, or for me to express my point.

And, I think in the scheme of things, I only mentioned it twice? (still on my first cup of coffee)

Would it be a fair thing to suggest that a caucasian male and a caucasian female, in 1950 and 2018, are experiencing life and expressing masculine and feminine rolls in different ways than people who live in visible minorities, then and now?

Because what I'm seeing here is fear. Not an academic response, but a frightened response.

So, why does questioning the ideas of masculine and feminine cause fear responses in people?

Is there not both masculine and feminine qualities in every human being?

Is a quality masculine because it's exhibited by a biological male person? Can a biological male person exhibit qualities that are also considered feminine?

And, more importantly: what does binary thinking protect us from? Because, I believe, if an individual is confident in their masculinity, or their femininity, they won't be worrying about how they express.

This is fear. Reacting on fear is not reacting from sanity.

Off to corrupt the youth--I'm giving a talk at a university...wish I could continue...NEED to continue later.

Pax et Bonum

hermit
    Last edited by hermit; 18th August 2018 at 17:08.

33. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to hermit For This Post:

AutumnW (18th August 2018), Ba-ba-Ra (18th August 2018), greybeard (18th August 2018), Hazelfern (18th August 2018), loungelizard (28th August 2018), pabranno (18th August 2018), Wind (19th August 2018)

34. Link to Post #98
    United States Avalon Member pabranno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,742 times in 319 posts

Hermit,

How eloquent and thought-provoking your posts are!
    I respect your courage and patience.
    Most importantly, I appreciate the humane and compassionate spirit you reflect.
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Pamela

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pabranno For This Post:

AutumnW (18th August 2018), greybeard (18th August 2018), loungelizard (28th August 2018)

36. Link to Post #99
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,120 times in 2,678 posts

A Voice from the Mountains,

Conflating gayness with perversion and using examples and pics from the extreme edge is unfair. When people feel overpowered and disrespected they use the same tactics the first chance they get on YOU. I feel this is part of what lies at the heart of some of the cry bully behavior radiating from academia today.

I am gay in nearly every way, except my sexual orientation, so I do appreciate the fluid nature of gender though I don't insist on being called anything other than her or she -- but I also have nearly always been treated with respect. How about you? Has there been a time in your life when you weren't for some reason? How did it feel?

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AutumnW For This Post:

greybeard (18th August 2018), loungelizard (28th August 2018), pabranno (19th August 2018), Wind (19th August 2018)

38. Link to Post #100
    Language
    English
    Thanks

This thread does have a life of its own and Im happy with that.
    Its not my intention to confine it to the main subject--the only suggestion is keep it respectful.
    Its very easy to misinterpret what is written.
    80% of communication is nonverbal.

Chris

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

loungelizard (28th August 2018), pabranno (19th August 2018)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1 5 15 18 LastLast