+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bermuda Triangle Mystery Solved - Scientists Think They've Figured It Out

1. Link to Post #1
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 times in 699 posts

Default Bermuda Triangle Mystery Solved - Scientists Think They've Figured It Out

Hello Everyone:
    I read this article and for me it appears to be boloney. I don't think rogue waves are going to take down airplanes. Possibly boats but not airplanes. I think they need to go back to the drawing board and come up with something more plausible.
    chancy

Link:
    https://ca.news.yahoo.com/bermuda-tr...084011872.html

Article
    Bermuda Triangle Mystery Solved - Scientists Think They've Figured It Out
    [HuffPost]
    Ed Mazza
    HuffPostAugust 2, 2018

Scientists believe they’ve solved the mystery of the Bermuda Triangle ― and it’s not UFOs or sea monsters.

It’s another kind of monster: monster waves.

The Bermuda Triangle, also known as the Devil’s Triangle, is a region in the North Atlantic that is generally bounded by Miami, Bermuda and Puerto Rico. Over time, a number of aircraft and ships are said to have disappeared there under mysterious circumstances.

According to “The Bermuda Triangle Enigma” on Britain’s Channel 5, scientists now believe conditions in that area were just right for massive rogue waves.

“There are storms to the south and north, which come together,” said University of Southampton oceanographer Simon Boxall, per the Sun. “And if there are additional ones from Florida, it can be a potentially deadly formation of rogue waves.”

Boxall said these rogue waves could reach 100 feet tall. That would be on par with the largest wave ever recorded: A 100-foot tsunami triggered by an earthquake and landslide in Alaska’s Lituya Bay in 1958, the Smithsonian reported.

Using an indoor simulator, scientists discovered that a model of the USS Cyclops ― a ship that disappeared in the Bermuda Triangle in 1918 with 306 people aboard ― was swamped by a wave and sank. A report last year found that a design flaw would make the Cyclops especially susceptible to rogue waves.

“She had a flat bottom, she rolled quite easily and on one day she rolled approximately 50 degrees one way, and in the high 40s the other way,” author Marvin W. Barrash told Forces News. “And to many vessels that could have just continued and caused a complete catastrophe.”

Two of the Cyclops’ sister ships, Proteus and Nereus, were later lost under similar circumstances. They had the same flaw.

Additional simulations showed that a rogue wave of 50 feet would be enough to sink the flat-bottomed ships, Forces News reported.

The U.S. Coast Guard says there is nothing particularly hazardous about the Bermuda Triangle:

“The Coast Guard does not recognize the existence of the so-called Bermuda Triangle as a geographic area of specific hazard to ships or planes. In a review of many aircraft and vessel losses in the area over the years, there has been nothing discovered that would indicate that casualties were the result of anything other than physical causes. No extraordinary factors have ever been identified.”

The National Ocean Service, part of NOAA, expressed similar sentiments.

“Environmental considerations could explain many, if not most, of the disappearances,” the agency said, adding that there was no evidence that ships disappeared at a higher rate in the Bermuda Triangle than in any other heavily-trafficked ocean route.

“The ocean has always been a mysterious place to humans,” the agency said. “When foul weather or poor navigation is involved, it can be a very deadly place. This is true all over the world.”

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to chancy For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (4th August 2018), BMJ (5th August 2018), Bob (4th August 2018), dynamo (4th August 2018), Foxie Loxie (4th August 2018), KiwiElf (4th August 2018), Mark (6th August 2018), Noelle (4th August 2018), Sunny-side-up (4th August 2018), toppy (4th August 2018)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,445 times in 21,493 posts

Default Re: Bermuda Triangle Mystery Solved - Scientists Think They've Figured It Out

The SHTFPlan.com version of this story, which was also reposted on Zerohedge, shows an airplane being sucked into a giant vortex in the ocean:

Notice that this giant vortex is not a giant wave, but rather a giant hole.

And, as chancy observes, notice that airplanes normally fly in the air, not inches above the water's surface.

But that's ok - they added lightning bolts to the image, so I guess that it explains it all and makes it consistent.

</sarcasm>
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

4. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (4th August 2018), avid (4th August 2018), Billy (4th August 2018), BMJ (5th August 2018), chancy (4th August 2018), Foxie Loxie (4th August 2018), Intranuclear (4th August 2018), Isserley (4th August 2018), Justplain (4th August 2018), KiwiElf (4th August 2018), muxfolder (4th August 2018), O Donna (5th August 2018), rodguy911 (5th August 2018), Sunny-side-up (4th August 2018), toppy (4th August 2018), uzn (4th August 2018)

5. Link to Post #3
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,293 times in 6,140 posts

Default Re: Bermuda Triangle Mystery Solved - Scientists Think They've Figured It Out

Hia Chancy -

Having been in the area coming across a massive tidal induced wave (as in wind/current/storm), and a meeting of two or more undersea currents headed to the Bimini area from Grand Bahamas, lucky that the twin diesels full throttle driving in the vessel we were in; made it through before it got any worse. Can't say it was anywhere near 100 feet tall, more like 30+.. Captain knew his boat and we plowed thru the standing wave. One of the most scariest times I have ever had at sea.

I have a series of posts on the forum, maybe worth looking at. https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...l=1#post903081 for some more of the story being in that area.

As to airplanes, I would suspect methane release from the ocean bottom, and subsequently when the plane flies into the cloud, engines stopping.

We had one bout of engine failure (diesel fuel pump) but that wasn't a methane issue, it was some other phenomenon (metal expanded which was impossible really) causing a fusing of the pump rotor to the housing. Odd enough in it's own right.

During certain conditions of solar/lunar/ and subsurface undersea "gravitational waves" (such is a technical term, not anything to do with "gravity") happen. I would not doubt with one of the freak storms which happen (we did end up going through one of the freak storms) wave-height could reach such. It is not a place one wants to enter without the right powerful boats and enough backup equipment to repair what might be damaged. A small boat would not stand a chance in such conditions. Captain was quite concerned when we met up with the Gulf Stream. Links to various ocean currents here: https://sites.ualberta.ca/~bsuther/glossary.html

more on methane from ocean bottom seeps from an older article here: https://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...a4b0c18dd93ee5

Methane is lighter than air and a sufficient undersea bubble from a trapped formation leaking could generate a coherent enough cloud to not immediately be dissipated by prevailing winds. Quite possibly sucked upwards from updrafts from thunderheads. Consider the billions of cubic feet of natural gas that exists off Louisiana and the instability of undersea earthquakes. A methane release from a massive formation is likely if the ocean bottom and fracture system is unstable.

As to "HOLES" in the ocean opening up, I serious doubt that. We saw no evidence of any such things in the area that we traveled in.

==update== re: 'Holes' and thunderstorms..

Paul clarifies below - apparently the huffPost article added something part and parcel to feeding "fake news". There are numerous scattered "blue holes" btw, all through the Bahamas, a collapsed limestone "sinkhole". The whole area of the Bahamas and surroundings is rich in limestone (Calcium Carbonate) as is Florida, and sinkhole potential is great. Underwater sinkholes the moment that they are exposed to ocean water pressure, if they are cavernous, will start to fill. A methane filled sinkhole could be a possibility for being a devastating and catastrophic "bubble" release.

Historically it is reported that many of the surface viewable "holes" are the result of rainwater falling and eroding the surface, leeching into cracks, eventually exposing the roof. Divers report seeing stalactites and stalagmites in the water saturated subterranean caves. They are saying for them to form would be from a time period from when the sea level was vastly lower.

Undercurrent waves, are known - we recognize them in a more common form, a "Rip Current" - consider where numerous underwater currents come together (as they do around the deep shelf west of Bimini and Grand Bahama Islands), the right prevailing wind conditions, coupled with microbursts from thunderstorms, quite possibly a subsea earthquake event (wouldn't have to be large) releasing a methane bubble, and that overall mix becomes dangerous. A boiling sea where buoyancy no longer works.. A methane cloud sucked up into a thunderstorm where airplanes' engines no longer operate.. That makes sense. A series of freak storms coming together with a tidal current "standing wave". That makes sense.
    Last edited by Bob; 5th August 2018 at 02:27.

6. Link to Post #4
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,445 times in 21,493 posts

Once again, we see the value in chasing down original sources.

The Yahoo article in this thread's opening post used the Huffingington Post as its source. The SHTFPlan.com article that I linked above used Fox News as its source.

Both of those sources, Huffington Post and Fox News, used this Sun article as their source: Bermuda Triangle mystery ‘solved’ as British experts claim boats were sunk by monster 100ft ‘rogue waves’ created by three storms coming together.

The Fox News and Sun articles correctly state that this research addresses the sinking of boats due to rogue waves, and neither makes any mention of airplanes disappearing in the Bermuda Triangle, nor discusses why airplanes might disappear there.

The Huffington Post and the SHTFPlan articles sensationalize this report by failing to confine the results to just the sinking of boats, and those articles downstream from them, including Yahoo, Zerohedge, and this thread, prior to this present post of mine, including my post above with the image of a plane disappearing into a vortex of water, persist in that misreporting.

(Caveat: I wrote the above quickly, without carefully double checking my reading of each article, so there is ample room for further mistakes in my reporting.)
    Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 4th August 2018 at 07:25.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

7. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (4th August 2018), Alan (5th August 2018), BMJ (5th August 2018), Bob (4th August 2018), Ernie Nemeth (4th August 2018), Foxie Loxie (4th August 2018), GaelVictor (4th August 2018), Intranuclear (4th August 2018), Justplain (4th August 2018), Mark (6th August 2018), O Donna (5th August 2018), rodguy911 (5th August 2018), Wansen (4th August 2018)

8. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,119 times in 3,951 posts

I see a good use of this here:

LOL
    I'm a simple easy going guy that is very upset/sad with the worlds hidden controllers!
    We need LEADERS who bat from the HEART!
    Rise up above them Dark evil doers, not within anger but with LOVE

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sunny-side-up For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (4th August 2018), ChristianSky (4th August 2018), Foxie Loxie (4th August 2018), Mari (4th August 2018)

10. Link to Post #6
    Great Britain Avalon Member Mari's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,311 times in 674 posts

Well, I’m automatically biased against anything that ‘experts’ say to explain mysterious phenomena. So-called academics/professors/doctors & others with letters after their name whose thinking exists in a tightly-controlled box are routinely wheeled out to give the establishment’s version of how things are.

Yeh, I know with me it’s a case of throwing the baby out with the bathwater, but I would much rather (in the case of the Bermuda Triangle) put my trust in a humble pilot or an old sea dog who has literally seen it all, than academia. Any day.

11. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mari For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (4th August 2018), Bayareamom (4th August 2018), BMJ (5th August 2018), conk (12th September 2018), Foxie Loxie (5th August 2018), O Donna (5th August 2018), rodguy911 (5th August 2018), Sunny-side-up (4th August 2018), Valerie Villars (4th August 2018)

12. Link to Post #7
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,078 times in 2,355 posts

Until they start talking about all of the pre-historic monumental ruins in the shallow water of the Caribbean, I have trouble taking any of this very seriously.

13. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

Quote Posted by A Voice from the Mountains (here)
    Until they start talking about all of the pre-historic monumental ruins in the shallow water of the Caribbean, I have trouble taking any of this very seriously.
    Agreed. Graham Hancock's 'Underworld' started it off for me - a brilliant work!: https://grahamhancock.com/underworld/

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mari For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (5th August 2018), BMJ (5th August 2018), conk (12th September 2018), Foxie Loxie (5th August 2018), Sunny-side-up (4th August 2018)

15. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

Quote Posted by A Voice from the Mountains (here)
    Also, until they ditch their arrogance & confess that they know naff-all about anything that they don't understand, I will start (only start, mind you!) to take them seriously!

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mari For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (5th August 2018), Bayareamom (4th August 2018), BMJ (5th August 2018), Foxie Loxie (5th August 2018)

17. Link to Post #10
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,050 times in 521 posts

2016 Could mystery of Bermuda Triangle be solved?

A new theory about the mythic Bermuda Triangle has grabbed headlines across the world — although researchers are already shooting it down.

The theory, initially presented by the New York Post, suggested that sightings of hexagonal clouds up to 50 miles wide indicated “air bombs” capable of bringing 170mph winds — enough to bring down aircraft and sink ships.

The article quoted meteorologist Randy Cerveny as saying: “The satellite imagery is really bizarre ... the hexagonal shapes of the cloud formations.

“These types of hexagonal shapes in the ocean are in essence air bombs. They’re formed by what is called microbursts and they’re blasts of air.”

The story quickly spread online with dozens of media outlets publishing the findings.

But while the theory may have a more scientific basis than some — including alien abductions and submerged crystal pyramids — scientists have already raised issues with the explanation.

The first challenge is that the phenomenon is not uncommon and has been reported over the mid-North Atlantic and the North Pacific, not just the Bermuda Triangle................ snip

http://www.royalgazette.com/news/art...ngle-be-solved

Hexagonal clouds over Saturn

Hexagonal clouds over the Caribbean

I don't know myself

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ichingcarpenter For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (5th August 2018), BMJ (5th August 2018), Foxie Loxie (5th August 2018), Mark (6th August 2018), Sunny-side-up (4th August 2018)

19. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,119 times in 3,951 posts

Now those Hexagonal cloud formations realy look like they could cause unusual effects.
    Looks like clouds forming on crystalline energy paths.
    haven't seen them before.
    I'm a simple easy going guy that is very upset/sad with the worlds hidden controllers!
    We need LEADERS who bat from the HEART!
    Rise up above them Dark evil doers, not within anger but with LOVE

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sunny-side-up For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (5th August 2018), BMJ (5th August 2018), Foxie Loxie (5th August 2018)

21. Link to Post #12
    United States Avalon Member ghostrider's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,794 times in 6,634 posts

Another explanation is, the rays of three distant suns intersect random points on earth and the Bermuda triangle happens to be one of those points where dimension gates appear, a past earth and future earth are overlapped causing ships/planes to be trapped forever in one dimensional shift or another with no possibility of return... My source , the Edward Meier contacts...
    Raiding the Matrix One Mind at a Time ...

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ghostrider For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (5th August 2018), BMJ (5th August 2018)

23. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

I have been in and around and on the ocean since the 50's in the vicinity of the Bermuda triangle. A rouge wave of 100 feet is unheard of. Seas of 20 feet make news 30 feet are really big. Rogue waves do occur but are far smaller than the fake news of 100 foot rogue waves.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rodguy911 For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (5th August 2018), BMJ (5th August 2018), Bob (5th August 2018), Foxie Loxie (5th August 2018), Valerie Villars (5th August 2018)

25. Link to Post #14
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,078 times in 2,355 posts

Quote Posted by ichingcarpenter (here)
    The article quoted meteorologist Randy Cerveny as saying: “The satellite imagery is really bizarre ... the hexagonal shapes of the cloud formations.

“These types of hexagonal shapes in the ocean are in essence air bombs. They’re formed by what is called microbursts and they’re blasts of air.”

[...]

Hexagonal clouds over Saturn
    [...]
    Hexagonal clouds over the Caribbean
    I think there is absolutely something to this and it's really creepy.

The six-pointed star was originally associated with cults that sacrificed children to Molech. Remember Saturnalia, too: the degenerate Roman orgy festival dedicated to the god Saturn.

Some people even argue that there is some etymological relation between Satan and Saturn. I know that "Satan" is interpreted as "adversary" in the original Hebrew, but much of what is said about the Bible is completely inaccurate.

According to Edgar Cayce, worshippers of some evil cult weaponized advanced technology and caused the great cataclysm that ended Atlantis, and the Caribbean is where that episode took place. All of those crystal pyramids and whatever else are supposedly still underwater there. Much of the Caribbean is not that deep at all.

26. Link to Post #15
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Brian, I think it kinda depends on where one is in the area. Some of the deepest chasms on earth (underwater are in the area, such as the Puerto Rican Trench), or the Straits of Florida in-between the grand Bahamian banks and the Floridian Eastern Atlantic shelf.
    The waters of the Bahama Banks are very shallow; on the Great Bahama Bank they are generally no deeper than 25 meters (80 feet).
    There was a point in history where sea level was about 390 feet lower than it is (during past ice ages).
    The Great Bahama Canyon is a V-shaped submarine canyon system in the Bahamas that cuts between the Abaco Islands to the north and Eleuthera island to the south. It separates the Bahama Banks and forms one of the deepest underwater canyon systems known.
    So it kinda depends on WHERE one is in the Caribbean - either on the "banks" or over the deep submarine canyons..

Bottom depth map, Continental Shelf left, Bahamas right"

It seems to me, anything going down in the Straits (2000 foot water depth), is not going to easily be found..

27. Link to Post #16
    United States Avalon Member Retief's Avatar
    Thanks

FWIW
    I have been through that area many times with no problems. Under water though, that may be a factor.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Retief For This Post:

BMJ (5th August 2018), Bob (5th August 2018), Foxie Loxie (5th August 2018)

29. Link to Post #17
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Retief (here)
    FWIW
    I have been through that area many times with no problems. Under water though, that may be a factor.
    It might be worth a study, to see historically WHEN the most disasters happen, the time of the year and the weather systems.. If you have been in that area you would know of the storms that come up and the intensity of the weather and wind that hits. I've been on the sea from Key West to Grand Bahama and Bimini. In the worst of conditions. One going out during the statistical time periods where conditions may not be optimal, where vessels go down.. one may find otherwise that they become a statistic.

If one is traveling between Florida mainland and the Bahamas, it seems to me one needs to understand the fuel requirements. If you have lots of $$$ to travel the 107 mi distance for instance from from Fort Lauderdale to Grand Bahama's Freeport you could end up spending 300$ in fuel. How often again do you do that? How big a vessel did you 'frequent' traveling from Florida to the Bahamas? How often is "frequent" ?

Some comments from people making the Gulf Stream crossing:

Quote Crossed in a 65 ft sailboat from Miami to Bimini at night in the rain hitting 20-25 footers people puking all over the place on deck.
    Quote Me personally; Charleston to Bermuda May 2007 (going), we estimated BIG...this went on for ~ 30 hrs. in the pic below. Coming back we were asked to wait a day for a fellow boat while repairs were made to theirs. We declined because of the weather coming and we left. They sank the following day and were rescued by CG. This pic:

is from the cockpit of our 43'. The only part that really bothered me was the boat shuddering down the back side sounded like the boat would disintegrate.
    Quote Came back from Bimini once in true 10+ foot seas in my 30' Scarab Sport. It was the only time I was ever worried about the safety of my crew and boat. Very scary. We made the 50 mile crossing in about 3.5 hours.

We were seeing waves like the one posted above on our stern, some even higher. Going up the wave we were looking at the sky, coming down it looked like we were about to be a submarine.

Had to work the throttles 100% of the time. Had one of those waves broke over my transom we would have been done for.

I had my buddy spotting behind us and letting me know when to hammer the throttle. It was good teamwork between my buddy, myself and the boat.
    If one thinks this is an easy area to traverse, well, what can I say, statistics and oneself can no doubt become good buddies lookin up from Davey Jones' Locker I guess.
    Last edited by Bob; 5th August 2018 at 03:42.

30. Link to Post #18
    Germany Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,188 times in 1,661 posts

these scientific explanations sound all well and good (but science has its limitations and doesn't know everything yet) but I still think there are other forces out there that not even the scientific community has a clue about-

Larry

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cardillac For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (5th August 2018), Mari (5th August 2018), Sunny-side-up (5th August 2018), Valerie Villars (5th August 2018)

32. Link to Post #19
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,945 times in 1,689 posts

Have you come across on Youtube.com videos showing whirlpools in the water of lakes being sucked underground? Are these photos or pictures real??? Is that water going to supply underground communities? Is it a natural phenomenon of exchange of surface and subterranean water? I remember reading of such an ocean suck somewhere off of Northern South America in the Atlantic. Anyone encountering that including an ocean liner is not going to survive to tell about it, never mind huge yachts. I look down from aircraft windows to the ocean crossing between South America and Florida and think "what utter fools humans are to cross the ocean by boat! If at 30,000 ft. waves look huge and white capped, what must they be to anything down in that water? Add gale-force winds to that scenario and who would knowingly brave it? Finally, encountering an ocean suck in your path is the final folly.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amor For This Post:

Bob (6th August 2018), Foxie Loxie (6th August 2018)

34. Link to Post #20
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

The only reported vortex in the Bahamas is "Chimney Blue Hole" -

off Long Island Bahamas.

There are apparently no such strong 180 degree opposing tidal currents matching the conditions to evoke such a vortex. There were pictures of the result of a lake being drained due to a collapsing mine shaft below the lake (I think that image is frequently used showing a lake being drained).

Off Norway -

is reported the "strongest" natural whirlpool in the world. (the SALTSTRAUMEN MAELSTROM)

I find worse rotational undercurrents (like "rotors") while white water rafting. Or getting near dams which have a strong water flow, or waterfalls.. The undercurrent can capture a rafter, or kayaker or one in the water.

However the point about tides changing, winds blowing in the most devastating direction can create a standing wave, and attempting to plow through it with too small a boat, not enough power can be tragic.

The Standing Wave phenomena was what I experienced in the Bahamas crossing into the Gulf Stream during a freak supercell storm condition plus opposing blowing winds. We barely touched the storm outflow boundary on hitting the standing wave.

Quote Several factors influence how the swell will behave. A major consideration is the current. When the tide is running into the inlet with the sea, it has a tendency to dampen the sea, sometimes almost flatten it, depending on all the conditions. But when the tide is running out against the waves, it can cause them to mount up and break.

Waves don’t like resistance, and when they meet the resistance of the current in the inlet, or just outside the inlet, they can become monsters. Remember, they are also meeting the resistance of the rising bottom and this can make them dangerous even outside the inlet.

Some inlets even have standing waves.

These waves, sometimes tumbling over on themselves, seem to stay in place as the current meets the incoming sea. They can be treacherous.

Any breaking sea is dangerous to a boat, but it is especially so in an inlet. Frequently, the break isn’t as easy to predict as it would be in the ocean, and whether you predict it or not, it can cause a boat to pitchpole or capsize.

Standing waves can swamp a small boat.

Even if the boat just veers off, these confused seas could cause it to be thrown into jetties, rocks or other obstructions toward the side of the channel.

Winds also affect the inlet. Obviously, a local wind making waves will influence your ride. But sometimes the wind can be flat calm or even blowing offshore and the inlet can become treacherous, particularly in an outgoing tide, because of winds far away, not only in distance but perhaps even in time. Swell radiates out from a storm, traveling across the ocean. The waves from a storm even far offshore eventually could reach the coast.

Many times we’ve left inlets on a beautiful, sunny, calm morning with a gentle ride to return late in the still-beautiful day (with perhaps a slightly more noticeable swell at sea) to find the inlet has become turbulent. A distant storm- generated swell had reached the coast. Some of the most extreme conditions like this we’ve encountered have been in the Bahamas. There they call it a rage.

The inlets through the rocks, reefs and islands are relatively shallow, have strong currents and are often only a few hundred feet from a steep wall drop-off into great depths, where a storm swell, which has traveled freely for hundreds of miles or more, isn’t affected. When that swell feels the wall and then the shallow bottom, it is indeed enraged. We’ve known of people breaking their backs while trying to come into an inlet in rage conditions, and we’ve known of boats that were lost or capsized, including an island freighter with an experienced captain.

There are many other areas where similar conditions can exist. Avoiding this means not only knowing the local weather, but also keeping up with offshore weather. You can do this with various weather services such as Chris Parker’s Marine Weather Center (for the East Coast, Bahamas and Caribbean, www.mwxc.com) and with NOAA offshore and high seas forecasts (found on SSB and online, www.weather.gov).
    I've even experienced standing wave ocean/inlet phenomena off Long Island, (New York), in a relatively small power-boat (32 foot), and it is not something to toy with. The freak storms, standing waves, it seems to me, would be more of a worry than any simple island located vortex over a "blue hole".
    Last edited by Bob; 6th August 2018 at 16:27.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast