+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MTHRF gene mutation & Methylation pathways and other related genes. Unable to produce active vitamin B9 in the Body.

1. Link to Post #1
    India Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,533 times in 475 posts

Default MTHRF gene mutation & Methylation pathways and other related genes. Unable to produce active vitamin B9 in the Body.

The probability that you have this gene mutation is:

And the enzyme activity as per the above gene mutations is:

This enzyme converts different forms of folate into the active form in the body. Unless you have this active form your body can not supress the expression of unwanted genes in your DNA and cannot detoxify toxins out of the body. Below is the pathway it gets converted to active form from its inactive form or the form supplemental form which is folic acid. It is really bad taking folic acid (a commonly found B9 form in vitamin pills) for people who have severe MTHFR gene mutations.

Tags: MTHFR, folic acid, methylation, B9, epigenetics, gene expression, Methylene Tetra Hydro Folate Reductase, L-Methylfolate, (6S)-5-methyltetrahydrofolic acid glucosamine salt, Methylcobalamine, MTRR, MTR, COMT, FADS1, VDR, MTHFD1, FADS1.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to kanishk For This Post:

Anna70 (21st June 2021), edina (18th August 2018), Flash (30th August 2018), Franny (30th August 2018), gaiagirl (18th August 2018), Jayke (18th August 2018), Pam (18th August 2018), Trisher (18th August 2018)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,369 times in 3,306 posts

Default Re: MTHRF gene mutation & Methylation pathways and other related genes. Unable to produce active vitamin B9 in the Body.

There are way to deal with this gene mutation, here is a brief summary:

1. Consume More Natural Folate, Vitamin B6 and Vitamin B12

Acquiring more folate can help with methylation. Getting more folate is very different than taking some folic acid supplements, however. Some research even suggests that people with MTHFR mutations might have a harder time converting synthetic B9 (folic acid) into its useable form and actually experience worsened symptoms from taking supplements containing folic acid.

Getting enough folate is especially important before and during pregnancy. The period three months before conception and during the first trimester of pregnancy, mothers who get enough folate lower their children’s risk for various health problems. Look for the bioavailable forms of folate in supplements called l-methylfolate or fermented folic acid, which are both processed by the body more like folate, and consume plenty of foods with folate.

L-methylfolate is harder to pack into capsule form, so you may not be able to get very high doses in typical multivitamins or supplement blends — that’s why I recommend taking supplements with fermented folic acid, which is biotransformed into whole-food form by friendly yeast.

Having more folate in your diet means you’re better able to create the active form of 5-MTHF. (4) Some of the best high-folate foods include:

Beans and lentils
    Leafy green vegetables like raw spinach
    Asparagus
    Romaine
    Broccoli
    Avocado
    Bright-colored fruits, such as oranges and mangoes

Those with a MTHFR mutation are also more likely to be low in related vitamins, including vitamin B6 and vitamin B12. These are easier to obtain from supplements, but food sources are always best. To get more B vitamins, focus on eating enough quality protein foods, organ meats, nuts, beans, nutritional yeast and raw/fermented dairy products.
    2. Treat Digestive Problems, Including Leaky Gut and IBS

Digestive complaints are common among people with MTHFR A1298C mutations. Many things affect digestive health, including nutrient intake, inflammation levels, allergies, neurotransmitter levels and hormone levels. For people who are already prone to nutrient deficiencies, leaky gut syndrome can make problems worse by interfering with normal absorption and raising inflammation.

To improve digestive/gut health, the following dietary adjustments can be very beneficial:

Reduce intake of inflammatory foods, such as gluten, added sugar, preservatives, synthetic chemicals, processed meats, conventional dairy, refined vegetable oils, trans fats and processed/enriched grains (which often include synthetic folic acid).
    Increase intake of probiotic foods, which are fermented and supply “good bacteria” that aids in digestion.
    Consume other gut-friendly foods, including bone broth, organic vegetables and fruit, flaxseeds and chia seeds, and fresh vegetable juices.
    Focus on consuming healthy fats only, like coconut oil or milk, olive oil, grass-fed meat, wild-caught fish, nuts, seeds, and avocado.

3. Reduce Anxiety and Depression

Because of how it can negatively affect levels of neurotransmitters and hormones like serotonin, testosterone and estrogen, MTHFR mutations are tied to higher incidences of mental disorders, including anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia and chronic fatigue. High levels of stress can also make MTHFR mutation symptoms even worse. Tips for dealing with these conditions include:

Supplementing with omega-3 fatty acids: Help to reduce inflammation and are beneficial for cognitive health.
    Regularly practicing natural stress relievers: These include meditation, journaling, spending time outside, giving back or volunteering, praying, etc.
    Regularly exercising: Helps to improve hormonal balance and sleep quality.
    Using soothing essential oils, including lavender, chamomile, geranium, clary sage and rose.
    Eliminating use of recreational drugs and reducing alcohol intake, which can both make symptoms worse by interfering with methylation. (5)

4. Protect Heart Health

Studies show that homocysteine levels tend to rise with age, smoking and use of certain drugs, so the first step is to focus on taking care of yourself as you get older and limiting use of harmful substances. (6) Other tips for keeping your heart healthy include:

Eating a healthy diet, especially one with plenty of high-fiber foods
    Getting regular exercise and keeping your weight in a healthy range
    Managing stress to prevent worsened inflammation
    Consider taking the following supplements, which can help improve blood flow, cholesterol and blood pressure: magnesium, omega-3s, CoQ10, carotenoids and other antioxidants, selenium, and vitamins C, D and E.

https://draxe.com/mthfr-mutation/

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

Anna70 (21st June 2021), edina (18th August 2018), Flash (30th August 2018), Franny (30th August 2018), gaiagirl (18th August 2018), Harmony (22nd June 2021), Jayke (18th August 2018), kanishk (18th August 2018), spade (19th August 2018)

5. Link to Post #3
    India Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,533 times in 475 posts

Default Re: MTHRF gene mutation & Methylation pathways and other related genes. Unable to produce active vitamin B9 in the Body.

The different types of mutations for MTHFR:
    • Homozygous – the same gene passed on from both parents, either the 677 mutation or the 1298 mutation. (this is the mutation my sister has)
    • Heterozygous – one parent passed down the 677 or 1298 mutation while the other parent passes down a normal gene.
    • Compound Heterozygous – one parent passes down the 677 mutation while the other passes down the 1298 mutation.

The two most problematic variations are homozygous and compound heterozygous MTHFR mutations.

The common symptoms for each type of MTHFR mutation include:
    • AA1298 / CC677 – Normal for the two common variants, or mutations, 677 and 1298
    • AA1298 / C677T – Single 677 mutation – More susceptible to environmental damage, depression, central nervous system issues, etc. (referred to as Heterozygous)
    • A1298C / CC677 – Single 1298 mutation – More susceptible to environmental damage, depression, central nervous system issues, etc. (referred to as Heterozygous)
    • 1298CC / CC677 – Double 1298 mutation – Much worse symptoms for the above problems (referred to as Homozygous) – This is the mutation my sister has.
    • AA1298 / 677TT – Double 677 mutation – Similar to 1298CC plus heart disease, blood clots, etc (referred to as Homozygous)
    • C677T / A1298C – Single 1298 + Single 677 – Susceptible to all of the above and worse for strokes, heart disease, blood clots, etc. (referred to as Compound Heterozygous)

If you get tested through a service such as 23andMe, your MTHFR mutation might look like this on their gene report:

MTHFR AA1298 (rs1801131) or TT is normal (no gene mutation)
    MTHFR A1298C (rs1801131) or GT is heterozygous (single gene mutation)
    MTHFR 1298CC (rs1801131) or GG is homozygous (a double gene mutation) – this is the mutation my sister has
    MTHFR CC677 (rs1801133) or GG is normal (no gene mutation)
    MTHFR C677T (rs1801133) or AG is heterozygous (single gene mutation)
    MTHFR 677TT (rs1801133) or AA is homozygous (a double gene mutation)
    MTHFR A1298C (rs1801131) or GT + MTHFR C677T (rs1801133) or AG is referred to as “compound heterozygous”
    From: https://www.holistichealthherbalist....eat-naturally/

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kanishk For This Post:

Anna70 (21st June 2021), Flash (30th August 2018), Harmony (22nd June 2021), Pam (30th August 2018)

7. Link to Post #4
    Great Britain Avalon Member
    Language
    Dutch
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,442 times in 159 posts

Thank you all so much for this thread!! I'm very new to this information. Tried to find out a while ago if I might carry one of these mutations, but even though I've done the full health thing with 23andMe, there was never any mention of this, and I wasn't able to find it in the raw data either, so I forgot about it at the time.

Just had my B12 blood results back (I've been having many symptoms seemingly indicating deficiency, despite having taken tablets, and then wondered if perhaps I was not able to absorb it properly in that form), and was told that my B12 was too high for them to be able to test my intrinsic factor. I had asked the GP if I was ok to supplement (now with sublingual drops) before the test, and she said yes, plus she gave me the impression that this would not impact the intrinsic factor test, and as I was worried about neuropathy, with the test as far as two months away at the time, I felt I needed immediate action, and I got a B12 shot from a pharmacy as well, and then my test was brought forward, which was good in a way, but I would have waited with the shot if I'd known...

Anyway, when I did a search to see if too much B12 could indeed mess up an instrinsic factor test, I stumbled upon this article, which had a link to search the raw data directly, and as soon as I clicked it, I knew what the outcome was going to be: A/G for C677T.

Thanks to the information here, I now know that it's not at all rare, but it looks like the sort of thing people would really want to know about, as certain relatively small adjustments in diet and supplements could massively impact their health, and if you're aware that your body has trouble detoxing heavy metals and other toxins, that is another thing to take into account when it comes to things like vaccines. (I wonder if this might be a huge factor in people's different reactions to these, even more glad I did not have one!)

Anyway, I wanted to thank everyone who has posted here before me, guiding me in the right direction. Avalon really is a treasure trove!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Anna70 For This Post:

Harmony (22nd June 2021)

+ Reply to Thread