Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst 1 7 17 23 LastLast

Thread: The strangeness of the California Fires

1. Link to Post #121
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,573 times in 2,645 posts

Default Re: The strangeness of the California Fires

Blancolirio’s evidence is so poignant, yet Robert Otey’s is more substantive in the ‘big picture of things’, being set up for a fall, using the power company as a ‘patsy’ rings true to me. So convenient. Yet the huge explosion caught on worldview was undeniable. It is apparent that the elite have no qualms to destroy for profit. They are total psychopaths in charge of our governments globally. Time for a take-down via truth.
    I found this from Robert’s videos, his mission is honesty, freedom and goodwill, this is what has happened to him recently (thankfully, he is safe at the moment)

So sad for all his neighbours, many many missing.
    The love you withhold is the pain that you carry
    and er..
    "Chariots of the Globs" (apols to Fat Freddy's Cat)

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to avid For This Post:

Bill Ryan (18th November 2018), Bob (18th November 2018), Chip (19th November 2018), DNA (19th November 2018), Hym (18th November 2018), Ivy23 (19th November 2018), raregem (19th November 2018), Sequoia (20th November 2018)

3. Link to Post #122
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 115,973 times in 20,621 posts

Are you sure that is the video you meant to post, Avid? Otey is on a rant about flat earthers in this one, not about the fires.
    Quote Posted by avid (here)
    Blancolirio’s evidence is so poignant, yet Robert Otey’s is more substantive in the ‘big picture of things’, being set up for a fall, using the power company as a ‘patsy’ rings true to me. So convenient. Yet the huge explosion caught on worldview was undeniable. It is apparent that the elite have no qualms to destroy for profit. They are total psychopaths in charge of our governments globally. Time for a take-down via truth.
    I found this from Robert’s videos, his mission is honesty, freedom and goodwill, this is what has happened to him recently (thankfully, he is safe at the moment)

Each breath a gift...

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Bill Ryan (18th November 2018), Chip (19th November 2018), Franny (19th November 2018), Hym (18th November 2018)

5. Link to Post #123
    Thanks
    Thanked 456,558 times in 32,726 posts

Quote Posted by onawah (here)
    Are you sure that is the video you meant to post, Avid? Otey is on a rant about flat earthers in this one, not about the fires.
    Quote Posted by avid (here)

Yes, she meant to post that.

And I really appreciated it. Calling out the Flat Earthers for their theft of his work while swinging his axe and stating clearly how angry he was was a great piece of emphatic drama.

I wish him well. He'll bounce back... he's a strong man. The video interview he did with AIM (Douglas Gabriel) yesterday was very compelling. Here it is again. It needs to be heard.

6. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Arcturian108 (19th November 2018), avid (18th November 2018), Bob (18th November 2018), Chip (19th November 2018), Dennis Leahy (19th November 2018), DNA (19th November 2018), Franny (19th November 2018), Hym (18th November 2018), Ivy23 (19th November 2018), onawah (18th November 2018), raregem (19th November 2018), Sequoia (20th November 2018), Yoda (19th November 2018)

7. Link to Post #124
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Yes, this video affirms his commitment to humanity via truth, and his frustration is commendable, on his soon-to-be burned home. Thank goodness he survived.
    As an aside - this is who he is...
    Very intellectual, concise, well-researched, and opening doors some folk want kept shut.
    and er..

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to avid For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (19th November 2018), Bill Ryan (18th November 2018), Bob (18th November 2018), Chip (19th November 2018), DNA (19th November 2018), Hym (18th November 2018), onawah (18th November 2018), raregem (19th November 2018)

9. Link to Post #125
    Language
    English
    Thanks

OK, establishing the importance of this whistleblower, whose interview on American Intelligence Media https://youtube.com/watch?v=AddUKu9CIXM really was great. I just thought we were getting off topic, but I see the point.
    Each breath a gift...

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

avid (18th November 2018), Ba-ba-Ra (19th November 2018), Bill Ryan (18th November 2018), Chip (19th November 2018), Hym (18th November 2018), raregem (19th November 2018)

11. Link to Post #126
    United States Avalon Member James Newell's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 times in 340 posts

The blame game of geo enginneering the planet is definitely being played by the global warming crowd. They get off with that excuse and can get the carbon tax credits and take down the US production capabilities all in one go. Seeing all those burnt houses with green trees around many still standing is without question some kind of weapon that can specifically target buildings.

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to James Newell For This Post:

Arcturian108 (19th November 2018), Ba-ba-Ra (19th November 2018), Bob (18th November 2018), DNA (19th November 2018), Franny (19th November 2018), happyuk (19th November 2018), Ivy23 (19th November 2018), onawah (18th November 2018), raregem (19th November 2018)

13. Link to Post #127
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,661 times in 2,080 posts

In the video that Bill has re-posted by Robert, one interesting thing I picked up on when Robert was speaking about a possible link to the chemtrail spraying, He stated they were spraying extremely heavy and very low prior to the fires days before, then in another comment he stated the tops of the trees were on fire first and then piles of wood were sprouting up as if it was instantaneous combustion within 20 ft from him. Which I thought was weird since why wasn't Robert going up in flames to. What is the difference between Robert and a pile of dried wood or the tops of trees???.

Lets continue, I really didn't give it much thought as a link from chemtrails to Agenda 2030 or 50 to this particular fire. But as Robert described his area , the fires rapid speed I believe due to the winds but mostly these instant bursts of flames without dropping cinders as he described. On to the next subject ...................

Robert mentioned in his interview that he believed that in the chemtrails they are spraying aluminum and magnesium in a particle form. Since my background is welding, there is one interesting fact about magnesium in particular that rang my bells. As a welder whenever I welded on magnesium I was forewarned prior to welding not to get that metal to hot when welding ? Why, its a metal , who cares? Here's a thought very thought provoking slant. When magnesium gets to hot and starts to burn even as a solid metal when welding- if it catches on fire and starts burning it WILL NOT go out. It will burn up until there is no more magnesium left, you can put it in water, bury it in dirt and yep that's right it will just keep burning all the way baby.

I really didn't give this much thought about this fire as just being a bad fire with dry woods and high winds in deep canyons, but what if one particular area was indeed layered with this metal strategically where it would get things really going as Robert was saying, which brings me back to as why he didn't go up as he probably takes a shower everyday and no dust on him .............

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pyrangello For This Post:

Arcturian108 (19th November 2018), avid (18th November 2018), Ba-ba-Ra (19th November 2018), DNA (19th November 2018), Franny (19th November 2018), happyuk (19th November 2018), onawah (18th November 2018)

15. Link to Post #128
    Language
    English
    Thanks

The accelerant was purported to be aluminium, which was dusted everywhere for months, and acted like magnesium whilst on fire, unstoppable, very hot, very quick, and directed by winds instantaneous, leaving partial burns left and right. Potentially attracted by houses with ‘smart meters’? We shall see....
    and er..

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to avid For This Post:

Arcturian108 (19th November 2018), Ba-ba-Ra (19th November 2018), DNA (19th November 2018), onawah (19th November 2018)

17. Link to Post #129
    United States Avalon Member James Newell's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 times in 340 posts

Seems difficult to link to infowars.com shows these days but go to their site and find the below link. Between the 10 bil train deal, and the cut rate real estate soon to be bought up maybe the mystery is as simple as follow the money trail.
    BREAKING EXCLUSIVE: Maps Show Democratic Plan to Use Wildfires For Landgrab

Last edited by Bill Ryan; 19th November 2018 at 02:23. Reason: embedded the video

18. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to James Newell For This Post:

avid (19th November 2018), Ba-ba-Ra (19th November 2018), Bill Ryan (19th November 2018), Bob (19th November 2018), DNA (19th November 2018), Franny (19th November 2018), happyuk (19th November 2018), Ivy23 (19th November 2018), Lefty Dave (19th November 2018), norman (19th November 2018), onawah (19th November 2018), raregem (19th November 2018), Reinhard (19th November 2018), Satori (19th November 2018), Sequoia (20th November 2018)

19. Link to Post #130
    United States Avalon Member DNA's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,655 times in 4,302 posts

Good video. Discussion is around the fire and how probable spraying of nano-metals was taking place, the normal batch of chemtrail stuff already has aluminum in it, my guess would be that they added iron oxide which would give them a form of thermite.

Quote Thermite is a material used in welding to melt metals together. It's a mixture of metallic aluminum and iron oxide (ferric oxide), which produces molten iron after a redox reaction. When the aluminum and oxygen in the mixture combine, the thermite will ignite, generating high temperatures.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DNA For This Post:

Arcturian108 (24th November 2018), avid (19th November 2018), Bill Ryan (19th November 2018), Franny (19th November 2018), Ivy23 (20th November 2018)

21. Link to Post #131
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,498 times in 720 posts

This 'coincidence' jumped out at me.

Before the Saturday joint visit by Pres. Trump/Gov. Brown/Gov. Elect Newsom:
    Paradise Sheriff Cory Honea had been holding a press conference every night at 6pm with reps from all primary related agencies announcing the day's activity, progress and death/missing updates and taking questions. He had repeatedly emphasized that during the whole event his intention was to 'be as transparent' as possible.

After the Saturday joint visit by Pres. Trump/Gov. Brown/Gov. Elect Newsom:
    The first thing he said at the 6pm press conference: "This will be the last press conference".

I expect .... that once again.... that both the human and animal after effects of the extreme levels of devastation and death will be downplayed and practically forgotten soon in the msm. There were minimum follow up stories for a very short time here in Santa Rosa and NO investigative reporting of details. There were no follow up stories about the Redding devastation last July/August.

Worse, in Santa Rosa the msm quickly more highlighted 'happy' stories of found animals, found wedding rings or rescued goats. That was especially disgusting to me and so insulting to the 20,000 others suddenly finding themselves with nothing but the pajamas they barely escaped with.

Right now in Butte County there are 1,200 still missing, 10,000+ homes destroyed.

This could mean 1,200 people were burned alive.

I think the downplaying of these events is a significant part of the agenda like is done in all wars.
    Last edited by waves; 19th November 2018 at 21:39.

22. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to waves For This Post:

Arcturian108 (24th November 2018), avid (19th November 2018), Bill Ryan (19th November 2018), Bruno (20th November 2018), DNA (20th November 2018), Franny (19th November 2018), Hervé (19th November 2018), Ivy23 (20th November 2018), onawah (20th November 2018), raregem (19th November 2018), Valerie Villars (19th November 2018)

23. Link to Post #132
    Thanks

Quote Posted by waves (here)
    This could mean 1,200 people were burned alive.
    It's dreadful to think about, but this might be true. Robert Otey pointed out how many cars were burned out by the side of the road, with their doors closed.

Who flees for their life from a burning vehicle, being careful to close the car door behind them?

24. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Arcturian108 (24th November 2018), avid (19th November 2018), Blacklight43 (19th November 2018), Debra (19th November 2018), DNA (20th November 2018), Franny (19th November 2018), Hervé (19th November 2018), Ivy23 (20th November 2018), James Newell (19th November 2018), onawah (20th November 2018), onevoice (20th November 2018), seko (20th November 2018), Valerie Villars (19th November 2018), Yoda (21st November 2018)

25. Link to Post #133
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,312 times in 2,098 posts

High octane speculation anyone? An interesting contribution by Joseph Ferrell today with extra splash of octane.

https://gizadeathstar.com/2018/11/th...+Death+Star%29

NOVEMBER 19, 2018 17 COMMENTS

THE CA FIRES: STRANGENESS SQUARED
    There is no doubt about it: by far and away the largest group of articles I received this week were about the California fires, and the strangeness some people are seeing, reporting, or speculating about them. The theories are now almost as strange as the fires themselves, and now include disappearing people and smart meters as well as exotic and/or directed energy weaponry, to failing power grid infrastructure and incompetent governance and forestry.

Here's what's accumulated so far (and my thanks to all of you who have passed on articles, personal observations, and speculations):

(1) The Exotic/directed energy hypothesis: This article has some excellent pictures from the area plus a video shot from space:

See the Camp Fire from space

The question everyone is asking (including myself), is how fires hot enough to burn and melt houses and metal rims in automobiles, can leave nearby trees untouched. One gentleman kindly wrote me and offered the pictures from the fires from Chicago and San Francisco over a hundred years ago as proof that such things can happen naturally, no exotic energy technologies needed. I asked him to post his comment under last week's blog on the fires, and I don't know whether he did or not, but I'm grateful nonetheless, for any input on these freakish fires and any data is helpful. Nature is full of surprises, to be sure, and I've no doubt there are any number of scientists willing to step forward and offer naturalistic explanations. The trouble is, I'm still not buying; these types of explanations seem to me to have the same gritty feel and malodorous smell that the 9/11 twin towers collapse-by-burning-airplane-fuel have.

But there's a new entry into the hypotheses being advanced to explain these fires:

(2) The Smart Meter Theory:

Are SMART meters involved with the destruction of so many homes in California that did not burn but exploded?

This submission, as noted, is by "someone on the ground" in California, offering his or her own thesis:

My theory is this: the drones or satellites with these weapon systems can target electronic digital signatures on the ground in the form of . . . wait for it . . . “SMART METERS” which give off a radio / WIFI field signature even in the dark! So when the grid goes down these embedded transceivers go dark and cannot be targeted? You have to ask the question: Is PG&E on to this silent warfare scenario and just trying to cover their corporate asses?

How else do these brick and stone structures with tile or metal roofs burn to the ground in the middle of parking lots with no flammable forest around? Hmmmmm??? We are being targeted for destruction by whoever is controlling these weapon platforms and they’re targeting the most conservative parts of California and the good hardworking people who live here! Entire towns have been completely destroyed, ie. Santa Rosa, Middletown, parts of Redding and now Paradise?

You may be thinking, OK, what is this old guy smoking here? So to prove my point I submit to you a link to a 32-second video posted by the Sacramento Bee that shows a NASA GOES satellite view of northern California on the morning of the start of the “Camp Fire”! Has a quaint ring to it, a camp fire? Makes me feel all warm and cozy, how about you? Take a look...

At this juncture, while no link is cited in the article, it appears that "GW", the author or authoress of the article, appears to be referring to the video which leads the first article linked above. If one watched closely, there appear to be blue dots that appear at the beginning of the video, one of which appears close to the origin point of the Camp Fire fire. But whether these are laser points or some sort of photographic markers is unclear. Also, strangely enough, if one watches the video closely, in the upper left quadrant of the video, there is a "something" which is clearly not a cloud, and clearly moving at tremendous velocity.

In any case, "GW" ends his or her post with this lapidary observation, which is as good a way of summarizing what the problem is for many of us observing the torching of California from afar:

How does a huge logging truck burn to the ground on I-5 near Lake Head, actually melt down and yet the logs did not burn up? Logs = wood = sources of fire and heat in a “campfire” or wood stove? Not even charred? A little common sense and observation tell me there is something very wrong with that picture?

No question about it, there is something wrong with this picture.

I cannot resist stepping right to the end of the twig of high octane speculation on this one, for last week I also blogged about the appearance near Milford Texas of a wireless power transmission tower, shades of Nicola Tesla's Wardenclyffe tower (and the resemblance is more than palpable). Tesla's idea was, you'll recall, to broadcast electrical power; no need to plug your appliance into the wall socket, just "tune" it like a radio to the correct frequency, and the circuit was closed and the appliance functioned. Now, as "GW" noted, PG&E(Pacific Gas and Electric) was turning off power in various places as a "precaution" against fires:

PG&E has recently implemented a program here in the north state (which just so happens to be the most conservative area of California) where in “wind events” like this forecasted again tonight, they shut down the grid as a “precaution” to allegedly mitigate wind damage and fire from falling trees, limbs etc on power lines? You wanna buy a bridge…in Brooklyn?

My theory is this: the drones or satellites with these weapon systems can target electronic digital signatures on the ground in the form of . . . wait for it . . . “SMART METERS” which give off a radio / WIFI field signature even in the dark! So when the grid goes down these embedded transceivers go dark and cannot be targeted? You have to ask the question: Is PG&E on to this silent warfare scenario and just trying to cover their corporate asses?

So my speculation is this: what if some Tesla-like broadcast power system was already operative, and the smart meters - following GW's line of thinking - were simply used to "close the circuit"? Also in line with "GW's" thinking, PG&E suffered massive stock market losses, which were quickly recouped:

"The Whole Town Is Gone": Dramatic Drone Footage Reveals Scale Of Fire Destruction In Paradise, CA

See also:

As PG&E Implodes, These Hedge Funds Are Getting Destroyed

So in addition to my own high octane speculations on the how, one has to wonder about the why, the motivation, and whether - as GW suggests - the fires are for "social engineering", i.e., to drive out one type of population to be supplanted by another, and in addition to that, a deliberate assault on PG&E and various hedge funds?

There is another article on the smart meter theory, with a picture toward the end of the article of a fire near an external electrical junction:

SMART Meters Being Used To Implode Buildings in California During Firestorms

If the smart meter theory is true, then it carries a disturbing implication: cooperate with us, or will implode your home.

If the smart meter theory is true, then it carries a disturbing implication: cooperate with us, or will implode your home.

(3) The High Speed Rail Coincidence Theory:

This one I mentioned last week when someone tweeted a comparison of the regions of the fires and the high speed rail routes. One individual also wrote and said that a closer look would reveal that the route of the rail and some of the fires in the central valley are not coterminous, and on closer look, it looks that way to me too. So chalk that one up in the "miss" column, but the theory is out there, and it should be mentioned.

(4) The Terrorism Theoru:

You knew it had to happen; with so many suspicious anomalies surrounding the fires, eventually someone would claim terrorism is the source:

ISIS Group Claims California Wildfires Are Retribution, Vows 'You Will See More Fires'

Well, when in doubt, blame the Russians, and if that won't work, blame Islamicism.

And finally, there is the

(5) Forestry Mismanagement theory:

Now, I've no doubt that a lot of the fire problem is related to poor forestry; it can and does happen. My problem here is the same as my problem with the Chicago fires explanation: it may explain some, but not all of what we're seeing.

Finally, I mention this article, not for its "political message", but rather for the summary of the timeline of events it contains:

California Residents Trapped and Killed When Fires Were Started All Around the Town’s Perimeter [videos]

Here's the timeline from that article:

My Notes:

A month or two before the fire, something was dropped from the sky, (in summer time) that looked like snow and tiny worms. Some stuck to her sliding glass door, and it was so peculiar she took photos of it. (Was it a fire accelerant???)

A week or two before fire: Helicopters hovering over Paradise Town, doing circles like they were surveying the land.

3 Days before the Fire, PG&E Called and Emailed residents of Paradise warning them of a fire potential on Thursday and telling people to have their fire plans ready. Each day of the 3 days before the fire, PG&E called the residents, repeatedly with these warnings, as well as multiple emails of warnings of a fire on Thursday.

Thursday the day of the fire, she noticed smoke at 7am going on what appeared to be a ridge a couple of mountains ridges away. She thought she was safe, but as a precaution, she drove to town to fill her gas tank. The town was not on fire, and it did not appear threatened at all. When she got home, about 8am, she also filled her bathtubs and sinks with water and sprayed down her house and surrounding area with a garden hose as a precaution. At this time she started to see things falling from the sky that looked like black tar paper or something.

About 11am she received a phone call of a mandatory evacuation for everyone in Paradise.

Paradise is a canyon surrounded by mountains on all sides, with few exits. As she was exiting the town she said she noticed that at the top of the telephone poles, all the transformer boxes were on fire. Flames coming out of the transformer boxes on the top of the telephone poles. She thinks these must have been triggered remotely, because there weren’t any fires near the poles at this time. Just the top of each pole was on fire. She said it looked like DEWs were used to set fire all around the perimeter of Paradise, to prevent people from escaping the canyon. She saw isolated houses on fire, with nothing on fire near the house, no fires leading up to the burning house.

What's of interest here is the claim that a witness sees electrical fires breaking out in transformers and phone poles with no nearby natural fires that could be presumed as sources for these fires. This would tend to corroborate the "smart meters-electrical circuit" theory that is being advanced and that I speculated on above.

Additionally, this claimed witness's sighting of "stuff" falling from the sky in the month prior to the fire could perhaps be corroborated by this article, which claims that particulate aluminum and other heavy metals being sprayed in California's chemtrails (and I've seen - and smelled - some of them myself) could also be partially to blame:

Aluminum Dust from Geoengineering Fueling Super Wildfires According to Author

The bottom line for me is that there's too much here - especially when taken in consideration with the similar signatures of last year's California fires - that is anomalous and difficult to explain on the basis of exclusively natural causes. When put together, the various theories spell out a combination of geoengineered accelerants, closed electrical circuits, and possibly exotic and or directed energy technologies. The "who?" is fairly obvious: anyone with access to such technologies: a few governments, and corporations and/or other powerful extra-territorial entities. We can probably all name those governments and corporations and extra-territorial entities without too much thought. The why? is now the problem that needs to be considered and speculated upon carefully.

See you on the flip side...

26. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Franny For This Post:

Arcturian108 (24th November 2018), avid (20th November 2018), Bill Ryan (20th November 2018), Hervé (20th November 2018), James Newell (22nd November 2018), kfm27917 (4th December 2019), onawah (20th November 2018), Sequoia (20th November 2018), Sophocles (20th November 2018), Trisher (20th November 2018)

27. Link to Post #134
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Great work on Dr. Farrell's part!
    Wouldn't it be great to have some online roundtable discussion including whistleblowers like Dr. Farrell, Deborah Tavares, Robert Otey, Richard Dolan and Linda Howe, with some callers including seasoned firefighters, scientists, eyewitness survivors with photos and videos of anomalies, along with the best of those aerial shots?
    I think the biggest obstacle in this case is that there are so MANY probable causes for the fires, it may bewilder people who haven't begun to understand how determined the elite are to succeed with all their insane agendas.
    But that should not be an obstacle to compiling as much evidence of as many causes as possible.
    At some point, if the evidence is overwhelming enough, even those who don't want to, will have to "get it".
    Of course, that's when the shock sets in, and that's a whole different set of problems to deal with, but it's a process.
    Each breath a gift...

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Arcturian108 (24th November 2018), avid (20th November 2018), Bill Ryan (20th November 2018), Franny (20th November 2018)

29. Link to Post #135
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 95,889 times in 15,481 posts

... entering Monsanto's toxic trail factor into the equations:

'That's just nuts': B.C. vulnerable to wildfires after spraying forests with glyphosate every year

Bethany Lindsay CBC
    Tue, 20 Nov 2018 11:14 UTC

© Rick Wilking/Reuters

Aspen trees naturally flourish after a wildfire, but they're also less vulnerable to flames than coniferous trees.

Last year, 12,812 hectares of B.C. forest was sprayed with the herbicide glyphosate. It's an annual event - a mass extermination of broadleaf trees mandated by the province.

The eradication of trees like aspen and birch on regenerating forest stands is meant to make room for more commercially valuable conifer species like pine and Douglas fir.

But experts say it also removes one of the best natural defences we have against wildfire, at a time when our [...] climate is helping make large, destructive fires more and more common.
    "It blows my mind that nobody is talking about this," said James Steidle, a member of the anti-glyphosate group Stop the Spray B.C.

"The experts know this stuff. They've known about this stuff for decades, but it's just not being translated into reality."
    When aspen and other broadleaves are allowed to flourish, they form "natural fuel breaks" if their leaves are out, according to Lori Daniels, a professor of forest ecology at the University of B.C. That's why aspen stands are often referred to as "asbestos forests" in wildfire science circles.

A forests ministry spokesperson said the government recognizes that aspen and other deciduous trees can help reduce the wildfire threat to communities, and that in the future, more thought will be put into planting broadleaf trees near homes and businesses.

Nonetheless, the rules about aspen in managed forest stands remain largely unchanged.

The province's Forest Planning and Practices Regulation states that when a block of forest is regrowing after a wildfire or logging, broadleaves can't make up more than five per cent of trees, or two hectares - whichever total is smaller. The concern is that trees like aspen will out-compete conifer species, which are the lifeblood of the timber industry.

If there's too much aspen, the block must be sprayed with glyphosate, a chemical known more familiarly as the active ingredient in Roundup. Over the last three years, 42,531 hectares of B.C. forest have been treated with the herbicide.

© James Steidle

On a recent visit to the area of northern B.C. burned by the Shovel Lake wildfire this summer, James Steidle documented aspen trees that were left standing even though surrounding conifers were incinerated.

'That's just nuts'
    "At the end of the day, we have rules that make fire-resistant trees illegal in our forests. That's just nuts," Steidle said.
    Aspen naturally thrives after a forest has been cleared by logging or wildfire. Their root systems can survive for thousands of years underground, and they're capable of sprouting new clone trees as soon as there's enough sunshine and moisture.

Glyphosate doesn't just kill aspen trees - it can also destroy the root system.
    "When you spray a forest, that's going to last for the lifetime of the forest," Steidle said.
    According to Daniels, that's a major loss in a province that struggling with how to prepare for wildfires after two record-setting seasons in a row.
    "When fire is burning through needle leaf forest, it tends to be very vigorous and very fast-moving," Daniels said. "When fire comes into a forest that has broadleaf trees in it, the conditions change so the fire behaviour is less vigorous and the rate of spread slows down."
    Trees like aspen naturally have a higher water content and don't usually contain the volatile chemical compounds that can make trees like pine so flammable. They also provide more shade, which creates a cooler, more humid environment in the understory, Daniels explained.

Often, a "candling" wildfire that's engulfed the crowns of a conifer forest will fall back down to ground level when it hits a clump of aspen.
    "If a fire is spreading toward a community and we know that there's a band of aspen trees that it's going to have to cross before it approaches that community, the firefighters can use that band of aspen trees to make a stand and try to stop the fire," Daniels said.

© B.C. Wildfire Service

The Shovel Lake wildfire burns through a coniferous forest in the summer of 2018.

Spraying causes 'irreparable harm'
    The research backs that up. One 2010 study conducted by a fire behaviour specialist with the federal government tested the fire-resistance of aspen by doing experimental burns of a forest that was split between conifers and trembling aspen.

Even when there was a "high-intensity flame front" in the conifers - with flames leaping into the crowns of the trees - the fire "failed to sustain itself upon entering the leafed-out hardwood portion of the plot," the study says.

Daniels believes B.C. needs to immediately change its forest management strategies to prioritize growth of aspen and other broadleaves.
    "We're still stuck in the vortex where we're trying to maximize timber production from conifers, and that is causing irreparable harm in our forests, given climate change and the types of changes in forests and insects and fire that we're witnessing," she said.
    The province has promised it's updating forest practices as new research becomes available. That includes some recent adjustments to the rules on aspens in the Cariboo-Chilcotin. Because the region is so dry and few aspen can survive anyway, they're not considered a threat to local conifers and don't need to be sprayed, a ministry spokesperson said.

Calls for glyphosate ban
    But critics like Steidle would like to see a complete end to the use of glyphosate in forests across the province.
    "We need to ban glyphosate. There's no question," he said.
    The idea has some political support. Last week, Green Party Leader Andrew Weaver raised the issue during question period in the B.C. legislature, and asked how the province could justify spraying growing forests.
    "The result is reduced plant diversity, leading to monocropped forests that are vulnerable to more frequent and destructive wildfires and beetle infestations," Weaver said.

Related:
    "La réalité est un rêve que l'on fait atterrir" San Antonio AKA F. Dard

Troll-hood motto: Never, ever, however, whatsoever, to anyone, a point concede.

30. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

Arcturian108 (25th November 2018), avid (20th November 2018), Bill Ryan (20th November 2018), Franny (20th November 2018), onawah (20th November 2018), Satori (20th November 2018), Sequoia (20th November 2018), Sophocles (20th November 2018), ThePythonicCow (20th November 2018), Valerie Villars (20th November 2018)

31. Link to Post #136
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 95,889 times in 15,481 posts

A dollar short and a day late:

Gov. Jerry Brown quietly admits Trump was right, eases California logging rules

EMILY ZANOTTI The Daily Wire
    Mon, 19 Nov 2018 13:58 UTC

© Justin Sullivan/Getty Images

California Gov. Jerry Brown appears to have quietly admitted President Donald Trump's suggestion about improving California forestry was correct and is now urging state lawmakers to loosen restrictive logging regulations put in place to appease environmentalists.

The Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that Brown is proposing one of the most significant changes to the state's logging rules in nearly half a century.
    "Gov. Jerry Brown is proposing broad new changes to California's logging rules that would allow landowners to cut larger trees and build temporary roads without obtaining a permit as a way to thin more forests across the state," the paper reports.
    Environmentalists in California aren't on board. They've been pushing for years to make California's logging rules more restrictive, not less, but in the wake of the deadly forest fires that ripped through the state this month, prominent lawmakers believe a change must be made before more people die from a preventable situation.
    "Under Brown's proposal, private landowners would be able to cut trees up to 36 inches in diameter - up from the current 26 inches - on property 300 acres or less without getting a timber harvest permit from the state, as long as their purpose was to thin forests to reduce fire risk," the Sentinel reports.

"They also would be able to build roads of up to 600 feet long without getting a permit, as long as they repaired and replanted them."
    Forests, particularly in northern California, California lawmakers admit, have become dangerously overgrown. But there's currently little incentive for landowners to clear their trees - they are only allowed to clear dead and decaying wood and undergrowth and can't clear healthy tress. By allowing landowners to recover some money from the process - letting them create and sell lumber, for instance - it could incentivize them to make bigger changes.

Environmentalists say they're worried landowners will go way too far, cutting down ancient redwoods or clear-cutting property, but even the most ardent environmentalist admits that some thinning is needed.

This is a big change from two weeks ago, when Gov. Jerry Brown balked at President Donald Trump's suggestion that poor forestry and poor forest management might be to blame for the massive wildfires that ripped through northern and southern California earlier this month, claiming dozens of lives and tens of thousands of acres.
    "There is no reason for these massive, deadly and costly forest fires in California except that forest management is so poor," the president tweeted while he was in France observing the 100th anniversary of the armistice that ended World War I.

"Billions of dollars are given each year, with so many lives lost, all because of gross mismanagement of the forests. Remedy now, or no more Fed payments!"
    "Our focus is on the Californians impacted by these fires and the first responders and firefighters working around the clock to save lives and property - not on the president's inane, uninformed tweets," Brown's office responded.
    Instead, Brown blamed global warming for the uptick in fires.

The president may not have been wholly correct but it seems he was certainly on to something.
    "La réalité est un rêve que l'on fait atterrir" San Antonio AKA F. Dard

Troll-hood motto: Never, ever, however, whatsoever, to anyone, a point concede.

32. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

Arcturian108 (25th November 2018), avid (20th November 2018), Bill Ryan (20th November 2018), Blacklight43 (20th November 2018), Bob (20th November 2018), Franny (20th November 2018), kfm27917 (4th December 2019), onawah (20th November 2018), Satori (20th November 2018), Sequoia (20th November 2018), Sophocles (20th November 2018), ThePythonicCow (20th November 2018), Valerie Villars (20th November 2018)

33. Link to Post #137
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,639 times in 8,116 posts

Hah, to Gov' Brown.

"Enjoy my political embarrassment, anything, but don't rumble the sneaky plan". Long term fixes are easy to promise, while the plan speeds ahead.

The next stage probably includes more extensive land clearing anyway.
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

avid (20th November 2018), Bill Ryan (20th November 2018), Valerie Villars (20th November 2018)

35. Link to Post #138
    Thanks

Quote Posted by latte (here)
    One gentleman kindly wrote me and offered the pictures from the fires from Chicago and San Francisco over a hundred years ago as proof that such things can happen naturally, no exotic energy technologies needed. I asked him to post his comment under last week's blog on the fires, and I don't know whether he did or not, but I'm grateful nonetheless, for any input on these freakish fires and any data is helpful.
    That was interesting. I searched myself, but didn't find anything.
    * Here's how: search Google for "Forest fire", select "Images", then click "Tools" and select "Black and White" under the "Color" menu. The search results will all be old historical photos.
    This article was interesting. I don't have a horse in this race... like Farrell, I'm trying to understand it all better.

The LA times itself published this photo today, with the article heading:

Thousands of homes incinerated but trees still standing: Paradise fire’s monstrous path

Here are a few extracts. (NOT the whole article. The entire thing is worth reading.)

Most telling were the trees. Most of the pines that sheltered this community still had their canopies intact. The needles, yellowed from the intense heat, were not burned — evidence that the winds that morning had pushed the fire along so fast it never had a chance to rise into the trees. But as a surface fire, it lit up the homes that lay in its path.

[ ... ]

The phenomenon in Paradise that Pangburn described — the fire spreading from structure to structure, tree canopies intact — is not unique to the Camp fire.

Fire behaviorists have documented it throughout the West, most recently in the aftermath of the firestorms that ravaged Northern California last year.

In spite of this, the popular perception is that wildfires burn through these communities like a wall of flames. In fact, small, burning embers — firebrands — blown in advance of the fire are the primary cause of structural fires.

“When we look at the big flames but not the firebrands, we miss the principal igniter and pay attention to the show,” Cohen said.

Billions of these embers fly into neighborhoods, landing onto flammable roofs, into vegetation around the structure and rain gutters choked with leaves and needles.

[ ... ]

Pangburn’s assessment — that the Camp fire in Paradise was an urban conflagration, structure to structure — opens the door for fire behaviorists to consider the strengths and weaknesses of the state’s codes for protecting property in fire-prone, rural environments.

The mandate in California, as stated in Public Resources Code Section 4291, is clear: A 100-foot perimeter of “defensible space” must be maintained in “land that is covered with flammable material.”

While the 100-foot requirement is appropriate, it is important to begin thinking closer to the structure itself and work out in concentric circles, Cohen said.

“We have to take care of everything from five feet out,” he said, “so that when it burns, it doesn’t produce enough radiation to ignite the structure or produce enough flames to contact the structure.”

The goal is to distinguish between structure fires and wildland fires and to understand that communities can be separated from wildland fire.

We don’t have to live in ammo bunkers, Cohen said, and we don’t have to entirely eliminate fire from within the perimeter, just ensure that fires that occur within 100 feet don’t burn long enough or intensely enough to ignite other objects.

A defensible perimeter also provides residents with more safety options as fire approaches.

Cohen refers to the story of the medical staff and patients from the hospital in Paradise who took refuge in a home. Climbing on the roof with hoses and clearing pine needles from the rain gutters, they were able to survive.

“A house that doesn’t burn is the best place to be during a wildfire,” he said.

36. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

avid (20th November 2018), Bob (20th November 2018), Franny (25th November 2018), Hervé (20th November 2018), onawah (20th November 2018), Sophocles (20th November 2018), Yoda (21st November 2018)

37. Link to Post #139
    Thanks

This is interesting, from Lisa Haven yesterday:

Lisa shows the EXACT correspondence between CA fire risk areas as mapped by the SF Chronicle, and a 1997 map depicting the exact same area as being a corridor designated for "little to no human use".

This is at 6:20 in the video:

38. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Arcturian108 (25th November 2018), avid (20th November 2018), DNA (20th November 2018), Hervé (20th November 2018), norman (20th November 2018), onawah (20th November 2018), Sophocles (20th November 2018), Yoda (21st November 2018)

39. Link to Post #140
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,639 times in 8,116 posts

That website is banned in "most european countries"

so the bit you quoted is all there is for some.

LA Times, that is
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

DNA (20th November 2018), Hervé (20th November 2018)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst 1 7 17 23 LastLast