+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 3

Thread: Depression

1. Link to Post #41
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,692 times in 8,940 posts

Default Re: Depression

Hermit, I am not depressed at all. Although I have been in my life, actually my moods are quite good, despite not working much, despite having very low iron, And despite some other problems I probably can solve, truly I am doing good

There is no comparison between my today life versus the past.

My daughter almost completely recuperated from an handicap and is now thinking bachelor degree after her technical college which I never thought she would achieve, I stopped working 60-70 hours a week as a single mom to put food on the table and pay alternative therapies, and financially I am not rich but we can feed ourselves and pay the bills. And.. I just put another jerk out of my life.

I am truly doing fine

But if you want to pray for me, you are welcome, i need to put my physical health back on track, lose weight, take iron supplements, etc. Which I am slowly doing.

you are talking to someone here who, in her life, went through pure hell and back. Gosh am I happy to be on the back side!!

When I talk about depression, I talk about my past, how I overcame it, what I studied and learned about it and I love studying the brain, so... may be we can all benefit?!

And I agree with what you wrote, your theory is sound.
    Last edited by Flash; 5th September 2018 at 00:00.
    How to let the desire of your mind become the desire of your heart - Gurdjieff

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Bill Ryan (18th September 2021), Dennis Leahy (5th September 2018), hermit (5th September 2018), Mike (5th September 2018), onawah (5th September 2018), RunningDeer (5th September 2018), what is a name? (6th September 2018), wondering (6th September 2018)

3. Link to Post #42
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,372 times in 1,413 posts

Quote Posted by Mike (here)

..... they haven't tried everything. they haven't tried medication, for example. no way, i'm not doing that sh!t, they'll say. i wouldn't want to take medication either, but it's better than being dead. this isn't an advert for the pharmaceutical industry btw, but when you hit absolute rock bottom, why on earth wouldn't you at least try??? Within a month you'll know if it's working for you or not. likely sooner. I'm not being glib when i say to them, at least try this for crying out loud..you can always kill yourself later...
    Oh Mike... you're killing me with laughter RIGHT NOW!!!

Thanks a lot for sharing your experiences, I've had quote a few bouts of depression, but not as bad as some I have witnessed.
    I've also been on the "bitch girlfriend" side of things...
    At the time, I didn't even realize what I was doing. I was manipulating without even realizing it, out of instinct, as if it were some kind of reflex. But I have since realized, hurting others will only hurt yourself, in the long run. And now I watch out for that

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to petra For This Post:

Bill Ryan (18th September 2021), Dennis Leahy (6th September 2018), Mike (6th September 2018), what is a name? (6th September 2018)

5. Link to Post #43
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Flash (here)
    Hermit, I am not depressed at all. Although I have been in my life, actually my moods are quite good, despite not working much, despite having very low iron, And despite some other problems I probably can solve, truly I am doing good

My daughter almost completely recuperated from an handicap and is now thinking bachelor degree after her technical college which I never thought she would achieve, I stopped working 60-70 hours a week as a single mom to put food on the table and pay alternative therapies, and financially I am not rich but we can feed ourselves and pay the bills. And.. I just put another jerk out of my life.

I am truly doing fine

But if you want to pray for me, you are welcome, i need to put my physical health back on track, lose weight, take iron supplements, etc. Which I am slowly doing.

you are talking to someone here who, in her life, went through pure hell and back. Gosh am I happy to be on the back side!!

When I talk about depression, I talk about my past, how I overcame it, what I studied and learned about it and I love studying the brain, so... may be we can all benefit?!

(The post I wrote was directed to Mike...sorry for the overlap within the post, I will endeavour to be more mindful in the future.)

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hermit For This Post:

Bill Ryan (18th September 2021), Dennis Leahy (6th September 2018), Flash (6th September 2018), Mike (6th September 2018)

7. Link to Post #44
    United States Avalon Member lightwalker's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 times in 155 posts

Rick Hanson's book Hardwiring Happines has good reviews. I combine his brain science activities with holding the meridian points (EFT) on my person. His explanations in the book are really helpful on understanding how the brain works, how we are hardwired for negativity, and how to change the brain.

Good thread. Thanks for all the info here.

btw this modality has helped tremendously with my own personal challenges.

[/URL]

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lightwalker For This Post:

Bill Ryan (18th September 2021), Dennis Leahy (6th September 2018), Flash (6th September 2018), heretogrow (18th January 2022), Mike (6th September 2018), what is a name? (6th September 2018)

9. Link to Post #45
    Argentina Avalon Member Hazelfern's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,496 times in 348 posts

Quote Posted by hermit (here)

I am truly doing fine

(The post I wrote was directed to Mike...sorry for the overlap within the post, I will endeavor to be more mindful in the future.)
    Not necessary although your words are appreciated. You endeavor quite enough.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hazelfern For This Post:

Bill Ryan (18th September 2021), Flash (7th September 2018), heretogrow (18th January 2022)

11. Link to Post #46
    Language
    Australian
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,554 times in 2,528 posts

Mike, you answered to everybody who posted in your thread except me,

it makes me verrrrryyyy depressed!
    Mea culpa Flash. Your next bottle of 5htp is on me

I know you're joking, but I honestly do try to respond to everyone who takes the time the post on my threads. Sometimes it takes me a while. I'll often circle back to see who or what I may have missed and comment later (confession: i'm a norotious skim reader). Or I'll begin responding and fall asleep with my phone on my chest (like I did last night)

You're absolutely right about the connection between depression and nutrition. I've read stories where someone was at their wits end, and on a whim tried something almost at random, like selenium or something, and turned their whole problem around.

Low energy = low mood. Raise the energy and raise the mood. I've always suspected that energy enhancers like coq10, carnitine, and ribose might make great, all natural anti depressants. Turned out to be true, for me anyway.

But people like my sister, for example, don't respond to any of the herbs or supps I've read about. For a year now, her brain has resisted all my attempts at improvement. She finally relented and tried medication; it helped her tremendously and caused me to rethink my dogmatic approach to pharmaceuticals.

Jordan Peterson's daughter, Mikhaila, was near death with all sorts of ailments (crushing depression, auto immune disease, amongst other things) until she adopted an all beef diet. That sounds sorta nuts, but the answers to these things are often not what we might expect.
    A week ago I stumbled across a written conversation I had years ago. I was told, "You've often heard today is a good day to die. Wake up one morning, raise your arms up, and say, today is a good day to live". Up until a few days ago I'd never been inspired to try it.

Then Abba hit this forum, I felt utter joy, cried, couldn't sleep much for days and knew instantly, it was time to do this very simple gesture.

I saw the profound purpose and power of music with all its mystical encoding and how it converts from the heart. I was able to internally see and direct streams of love emanating from my heart centre, just by internally humming an Abba tune, whenever I wanted.

I know the science is there, but I've never felt meditation was ever really working for me. Either on myself, for others, or the world. Until now.

So I do agree, one size does not fit all. It really is a matter of finding our own unique sovereign facilitator that works to lift oneself into those powerfully higher vibrations where depression can't reach.

I'd never even considered there could be anything "outside the box" of the common approaches in both mainstream and alternative. I wish I had. Might have found my trigger a long time ago.

So when all else fails, try everything else.
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 18th September 2021 at 17:13. Reason: fixed quote formatting

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Gemma13 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (18th September 2021), Gwin Ru (17th January 2022), heretogrow (18th January 2022), Mike (19th September 2021), Pam (18th January 2022), Peace in Oz (19th September 2021), RunningDeer (18th September 2021)

13. Link to Post #47
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,659 times in 8,694 posts

Quote Posted by TargeT (here)
    The world is a brutal place. Tragedy is ubiquitous. There are endless reasons to be depressed and hopeless. Endless. It's easy to remain that way. You could justify it in all sorts of ways.

It's much more challenging and noble to at least try to be upbeat and positive. In fact, one doesn't have a choice . In the face of impossible, trying to remain positive is the most challenging and noble thing one can do. That's not phoniness....it's the only game in town. You may think to yourself, it can't get any worse than this so why even try., But I assure you, it can get worse. Neglecting to try means the difference between mere tragedy and absolute hell...........

I was too busy indulging this depression. And that's an enormous mistake, with unforgiving ramifications.

Your singing my song, except I'm still working with my... teacher? and learning more than I'm comfortable too (but what challenge is comfortable?). I find aspects of our situations very fascinating, though we are deeply divided by experiential differences (context); I do think we share an archetypal struggle.

the sign wave of life is fascinating.... ups need downs and visa versa..

I stopped taking hormones about a year ago... it's been very negatively impactful.... but at least this time I think I know of a solution.

"It's strange these brief and fleeting things
    these first impressions are ever lasting
    the wondering path we'll stumble down
    the bridges we burnt, only known in passing"
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Bill Ryan (17th January 2022), Mike (21st September 2021), Pam (18th January 2022), RunningDeer (17th January 2022), wondering (21st September 2021)

15. Link to Post #48
    Ireland Avalon Member JackMcThorn's Avatar
    Language
    I talk american
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,453 times in 571 posts

'Action,' I was told [about 1o years ago], 'Alleviates Anxiety'. [Anxiety holds hands with Depression.]

Early in my manic-depressive diagnosis, around 2oo9; I was more susceptible to mania than depression. So I didn't pay too much attention to the depressive side of things, because they simply were not part of the issue. [But I never forgot the above quote.]

Now in my middle 4o's, there is less psychosis and more depression. With a bipolar diagnosis, where mania is a real concern there is no 'treatment' via medication for depression because the opportunity to lift one's mood too high becomes a risk for more psychosis or more manic episodes; which anyone with first-hand experience will tell you is not worth the trouble.

So what happens when depression strikes? With the danger of psychosis, big pharma cannot compete in this arena with Bipolar type 1 disorder. Doctor's have their hands tied. 'You just have to ride it out.' [the depressive episodes].

I came across this book Lost Connections / Why You're Depressed and How to Find Hope by Johann Hari

This book basically shuts down the 'chemical imbalance' narrative; which is mostly pushed by big pharma and the 1oo billion dollar medicine industry.

It covers biology, psychology, and social [environmental] factors that instigate depression and that chemicals [while sometimes effective, or marginally] are not the only answer.

The book reiterates for me the importance of action, of movement, of doing; in order to maintain healthier moods. It is well researched and published in 2o18, so fairly recent. It covers some studies dating back to the 197o's that were not prevailing due to the drowning out of particular big pharma studies. They explain what the industry was doing to back it's products with short-sighted and specifically targeted studies for particular medicines.

Action is the key word for health and for other issues as well.
    Irishness is not primarily a question of birth or blood or language; it is the condition of being involved in the Irish situation, and usually of being mauled by it. ~ Conor C. O'Brien [1917-2oo8]

16. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to JackMcThorn For This Post:

Bill Ryan (17th January 2022), edina (17th January 2022), Gwin Ru (17th January 2022), heretogrow (18th January 2022), Kryztian (18th January 2022), Mike (18th January 2022), onawah (18th January 2022), Pam (18th January 2022), RunningDeer (17th January 2022), ulli (17th January 2022), wondering (17th January 2022)

17. Link to Post #49
    United States Avalon Member edina's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,171 times in 2,420 posts

Thanks Jack, for sharing this. The bipolar brain can be quite a challenge to live with.

Here's a link to the book for anyone who would want to read it for themselves.

Lost Connections / Why You're Depressed and How to Find Hope

There's a physics theory out there that says the universe is essentially motion, movement, the state of FLOW comes to mind.
    The adage that Action is the key word for health seems to echo that idea.

A similar adage comes to mind, Competence build confidence.
    It was a game changer for me, in my 20's, when I discovered that anyone can build skills.
    And almost everything can be learned by incrementally increasing the skills needed to learn.

As Joseph Chilton Pearce said, "We are becoming that in which we need ourselves to be."

Happy Day to you, Jack

Thanks again for sharing.
    I happily co-create a balanced world culture harmonized with Infinite Intelligence. ~ edina (Renaissance Humanity)

18. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to edina For This Post:

Bill Ryan (17th January 2022), Gwin Ru (17th January 2022), heretogrow (18th January 2022), JackMcThorn (17th January 2022), Mike (18th January 2022), onawah (18th January 2022), Pam (18th January 2022), RunningDeer (17th January 2022), ulli (17th January 2022), wondering (17th January 2022)

19. Link to Post #50
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,456 times in 4,332 posts

... Sherrie describes how she eradicated her deep depression with John Mace's Energy Method AKA "Causism":

Getting Disruptive things in your mind you don't know about out - Sherrie Hatfield interview 1 11 22 1:21:30

Jan 15, 2022

Engineering Mental Sanity - Jerry Marzinsky

A major problem facing the human race has been how to clear trauma that lurks buried in the unconscious which when triggered repeatedly sets off an adverse and dysfunctional behavioral reaction. Unable to recognize the hidden powder keg in our own mind we project blame for our reaction on whoever had the gall to throw a match into the powder keg, the person who pissed you off. We don't know where the powder keg is located or how to get rid of it but we do recognize the type of person who sets us off.

No matter where you go this same type person follows to eventually throw another match into your powder keg and it goes on and on sometimes for a lifetime.

Psychiatry handles these upsets by selling you expensive drugs that numb the mind and may calm your nerves but cures absolutely nothing. Although highly trained traditional psychotherapists may identify these powder kegs and point out the irrational behavior resulting from them they have not come up with an efficient way to remove this buried alive subconscious garbage which drives repeated self defeating and irrational reactions.

Then along comes John Mace a ship captain and self educated genius who unfettered by the psychological establishments brain washing comes up with a very different and functional concept of how the human mind works based on his own observations, study and experimentation. The functionality of his concept is backed by the startling results in clearing buried trauma. Although Mace's system is quick, simple, and effective but it is a threat to the psychological and psychiatric establishments who have turned their backs on Mace despite having witnessed the effectiveness of this system.

Sherrie Hatfield is a Mace Energy Method practitioner in Australia. She explains what Causism is and what it does for living conscious beings. She talks about her personal journey and how she met John Mace, who discovered Causism, who is now in his 90s. She says you already are what you seek. The mind is a storehouse. It keeps data and pictures (images) of whatever you focus on, which is a natural process. But is it real? "Identity" is the role we play in life (positive and negative), but you are not your role. You are more, much more.

20. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Gwin Ru For This Post:

Bill Ryan (17th January 2022), edina (17th January 2022), heretogrow (18th January 2022), Icare (17th January 2022), Mike (18th January 2022), onawah (18th January 2022), Pam (18th January 2022), RunningDeer (17th January 2022), wondering (18th January 2022)

21. Link to Post #51
    United States Avalon Member DNA's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 times in 4,313 posts

Quote Posted by onawah (here)
    Hey Mike,
    I applaud your appreciation of humor to combat depression--I think it's one of the best tools we have.
    ( And so I refer you to my post here if you haven't already seen it: https://projectavalon.net/forum4/sho...=1#post1244904
    ...as I think you will appreciate it. )
    I had three siblings who committed suicide, and my mother attempted it when I was 9 ( I was the one who found her and called a neighbor for assistance, who rang for an ambulance. They pumped her stomach and she survived, but of course, being a child, I blamed myself for making her life unbearable.)
    So depression was rampant in my family.
    A huge personal koan was finally solved when I learned from psychics that suicide prone people often reincarnate into the same families or groups to act as mirrors for each other.
    Later, I learned from a wonderful shaman that suicides in generations of families can create a kind of entity which gets passed down from sibling to sibling and incorporates all that self-hating destructive energy into one big wallop of negative energy.
    When the last of my 3 siblings offed himself, I inherited that family entity, and so suddenly, inexplicably, I became suicidal.
    It wasn't really even depression that I came down with, it was pure self-loathing so dense that the prospect of creating even more suffering for myself through self-destruction actually gave me a very twisted feeling of satisfaction.
    It was very weird, and I knew it was being caused by something other than myself, because I had been possessed by a demonic entity that came through my alcoholic father when I was about 3 years old, and it was similar.
    I fought with that demon until I was in my late 20s, and finally overcame it with the help of a spiritual healer.
    But the suicide entity was more than I could handle-- I think I was just too tired.
    I tried to hang myself, but got busted before I could go through with it, then tried to slash my wrists and failed at that too ( too cowardly).
    Oddly, the day after that second failure, I was fine.
    I think maybe the fact that I didn't resist that energy allowed me to dissipate it with all my dramatic shenanigans!
    The shaman I met years later told me that there are many souls now on the planet who are working to break the suicidal patterns that have been passed down through generations of families, and that I was one of those souls.
    Tibetan Lama Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche wrote in one of his books-I think it was Meditation in Action--that it is actually when we have exhausted ourselves through struggle that we finally catch a glimpse of what acceptance and surrender really are.
    Part of the reason for the lingering depression that I felt after my release from suicidal tendencies had to do with my theories about spirituality.
    I thought that I had to constantly monitor myself and remain identified only with the Light, denying my own Shadow.
    But that kept me in a constant battle with myself, since the Shadow side must be brought into the open and accepted in order to be understood and to evolve.
    I was also in denial about how much I doubted, how my faith wasn't really grounded in reality, and was therefore quite shaky.
    I couldn't believe that God was Love with all the horrors that I saw in the world.
    So I stopped believing in that God and started believing in the Creator, who created both Darkness and Light, and tried to learn to accept that, and to continue working toward evolving more toward the Light, without constantly trying to deny that my dark side had any value or relevance.
    After all, Creator was responsible for the Darkness as well as the Light, and we are stuck with it, no matter how much we would like not to identify with it....
    But I think we learn to become stronger through our experience of the dark side. and if it has value, then it is that, and I've learned to appreciate it.
    And I've learned to grin and bear it, learning what an attribute a great sense of humor can be; even if it is a trifle sardonic, you can't deny that it is wise.
    You've probably read the scifi classic by Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land. Remember the scene when Michael Valentine Smith had a big satori and finally understood the dynamic of how human misery is created ( he saw a monkey get hurt accidentally by a falling coconut if I recall correctly, get enraged, and then took it out on another monkey). Then he was also finally able to understand the root of laughter, and once he understood that, he lost his self-doubt.
    It's not necessarily logical, but understanding can transcend logic--we can just feel it, with our hearts (and I know you do...).
    Once we accept how things are, we can let go of the inner struggle and then we have a lot more energy to make things better, not by clinging or battling against, but just by going with the slow, steady flow of evolution.

We don't have to have a huge enlightenment experience to get there; a bunch of little insights can add up eventually to the equivalent of one big satori.
    A lot of depression is simply due to an unhealthy life style, but once we stop the internal battle, we have a lot more clarity and energy, so we can hear our bodies telling us what we need to feel better.
    Hi Natalie
    This was an amazing post.
    Thank you for sharing.

Amazing. One of the most interesting and well written posts I've ever come across.
    Thank you ☺️

22. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to DNA For This Post:

Bill Ryan (18th January 2022), Franny (18th January 2022), heretogrow (18th January 2022), Merkaba360 (18th January 2022), Mike (18th January 2022), onawah (18th January 2022), Pam (18th January 2022), RunningDeer (18th January 2022), wondering (18th January 2022)

23. Link to Post #52
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,091 times in 20,639 posts

Most welcome, DNA. There is some info here that is relevant to the subject matter of this thread about depression:
    https://projectavalon.net/forum4/sho...=1#post1476574
    Quote Posted by DNA (here)
    Hi Natalie
    This was an amazing post.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Amazing. One of the most interesting and well written posts I've ever come across.
    Thank you ☺️
    Last edited by onawah; 18th January 2022 at 22:55.
    Each breath a gift...

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Bill Ryan (18th January 2022), DNA (18th January 2022), Franny (18th January 2022), RunningDeer (18th January 2022), wondering (18th January 2022)

25. Link to Post #53
    United States Avalon Member Arcturian108's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,329 times in 930 posts

Read Your Multiple Souls to understand a totally different way to eliminate depression.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 3