1. Link to Post #21
    United States Avalon Member Dennis Leahy's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,580 times in 5,817 posts

Default Re: Depression

Quote Posted by Mike
    "The world is a brutal place. Tragedy is ubiquitous. There are endless reasons to be depressed and hopeless. Endless. It's easy to remain that way. You could justify it in all sorts of ways.

It's much more challenging and noble to at least try to be upbeat and positive."
    Agreed. If we focus only on the tragedy of life, we live tragedy. But, even that is not the same as clinical depression. I think that mainstream and alternative health experts agree that depression is a brain chemistry issue.

The fact that someone can take a pill (antidepressant) and alter their brain chemistry to a less depressed (or not depressed) mental state is revealing. Other chemicals that alter mental states, for example, alcohol, obviously do not make the proper brain chemistry changes to overcome depression. There have been ongoing trials (and I think I just saw an article mentioning a US trial) using the psilocyben mushroom to overcome depression. From the anecdotal accounts I have read, some people - after a psilocyben 'trip' - completely lost their depression. Others who were active alcoholics lost the craving for alcohol. The effect lasts - for years, at least in some cases, and may even be a permanent change.

I don't know much about it and am not suggesting that anyone and everyone should go find some 'magic mushrooms', trip, and then enjoy great mental health. In a clinical setting, the patient has a therapist as a guide, and I don't know what role they play. (For example, they might be trained to make "suggestions" during the psilocyben experience, knowing that your brain is in a state where suggestion is powerful. Or, maybe they just provide reassurance to the patient, who is experiencing a powerful mind-altering substance. I just don't know what they do.)

You know, if your body is deprived of sufficient water, and you're thirsty, you could use powerful mental or meditative techniques to make yourself believe you are OK, not thirsty. Big Pharma probably has a pill you can take that would make you forget or not notice how thirsty you are. But what you really need is water. The water alters your body's chemistry, provides what was actually needed. It sure sounds like psilocyben doesn't just cause "trippy" feelings, but is somehow making permanent or semi-permanent changes in brain chemistry, resetting the brain to a healthy, non-depressed state. I personally would be more drawn to try that first, before taking pharmaceuticals... forever.

If the real, underlying problem is physical (neurochemistry), it seems like the cure will be physical, not mental, or even spiritual. I don't really know how the pharmaceutical chemicals work, whether they mask unwanted symptoms (seems like that's all that a lot of pharmaceuticals do), or are temporarily altering brain chemistry to 'normal', but they obviously do not make permanent or semi-permanent changes/cures, or you wouldn't have to take them day after day.

As your example with selenium (or whatever it was), there are a number of substances that do play a role with mental health. Magnesium is the first that pops to mind. Zinc and copper, in balance, too. Let's not forget water... and electrolytes.

Some resources for psilocybin therapy for depression:
    https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03380442

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5640601/

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...065-7/fulltext

https://health.spectator.co.uk/psilo...of-depression/

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

Caliban (3rd September 2018), Debra (3rd September 2018), DNA (18th January 2022), Flash (3rd September 2018), Hazelfern (7th September 2018), Mike (3rd September 2018), onawah (5th September 2018), PathWalker (3rd September 2018), RunningDeer (3rd September 2018), TargeT (3rd September 2018), what is a name? (3rd September 2018), Wind (3rd September 2018), Woody (3rd September 2018)

3. Link to Post #22
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,214 times in 5,680 posts

thanks for that Dennis.

yep we know that some depression is situational and some organic. but i do wonder if long term situational depression can lead to a permanent change in one's organic makeup. or if a slight organic predisposition leaves people vulnerable to situational depression.

for example: if one is unemployed, without friends, without a partner, without life goals, and they take an anti-depressant and feel better, what does that mean exactly? could mean any number of things. perhaps they had organic depression, which prevented them from ever getting off the ground, resulting in all this life chaos; or perhaps they just became slowly situationally depressed over time because they never took responsibility for their life, and before they knew it they were drowning in misery, and as a result of this prolonged misery their brain chemistry changed?

i'm not sure. i'm not an expert. kind of guessing here..

at any rate, i'm a big believer in life strategies, regardless of the situation. things like going to bed at the same time, getting up at the same time, eating properly, articulating very specific goals to oneself...career-wise and personally. in other words, introducing order into one's life. just take the job thing for example - if one doesn't have a job, there's really no reason to get up in the morning, is there?

order and meaning are interchangeable to me. throw responsibility in there too. i know i'm beginning to sound like a military commander or something lol, sorry. but the more responsibility one takes on, the more meaning their lives will have, in my view. many depressed people - the one's ive known anyway - refuse to take on any responsibility, therefore their lives lack meaning and order. chaos takes over and depression is sure to follow.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (3rd September 2018), DNA (18th January 2022), PathWalker (3rd September 2018), RunningDeer (3rd September 2018), TargeT (3rd September 2018), Valerie Villars (3rd September 2018), Wind (3rd September 2018), Woody (3rd September 2018)

5. Link to Post #23
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,684 times in 8,938 posts

Quote Posted by Mike (here)
    thanks for that Dennis.

yep we know that some depression is situational and some organic. but i do wonder if long term situational depression can lead to a permanent change in one's organic makeup. or if a slight organic predisposition leaves people vulnerable to situational depression.

for example: if one is unemployed, without friends, without a partner, without life goals, and they take an anti-depressant and feel better, what does that mean exactly? could mean any number of things. perhaps they had organic depression, which prevented them from ever getting off the ground, resulting in all this life chaos; or perhaps they just became slowly situationally depressed over time because they never took responsibility for their life, and before they knew it they were drowning in misery, and as a result of this prolonged misery their brain chemistry changed?

i'm not sure. i'm not an expert. kind of guessing here..

at any rate, i'm a big believer in life strategies, regardless of the situation. things like going to bed at the same time, getting up at the same time, eating properly, articulating very specific goals to oneself...career-wise and personally. in other words, introducing order into one's life. just take the job thing for example - if one doesn't have a job, there's really no reason to get up in the morning, is there?

order and meaning are interchangeable to me. throw responsibility in there too. i know i'm beginning to sound like a military commander or something lol, sorry. but the more responsibility one takes on, the more meaning their lives will have, in my view. many depressed people - the one's ive known anyway - refuse to take on any responsibility, therefore their lives lack meaning and order. chaos takes over and depression is sure to follow.

The scientific answer is yes, yes, and yes.

Neuronal pathways will change based on habits old ones, and new ones. If we are situationnaly depressed for years, the brain neuronal pathways will change and increase their strength in the brain areas related to negative emotions. Which means that you will have a greater tendency to think and feel negatively.

Same with training on positive thinking or emotions. With time new neuronal pathways are created reflecting this training.

Children raised in violent households will either become violent (learned behavior through imitation) or victim thinking as victims (learned behavior too). THis is due to changes in their natural neuronal pathways as children when confronting the household violence, it does change the brain pathways, and therefore chemistry.

How do I know? I studied it (university) and re-studied it later to enhance my daughter's abilities because of her language and motor skills handicaps - everything I did with her as treatment was geared towards enhancing the rights neuronal pathways or creating new ones if they were absent. It worked, she is almost fine now. You would never guess she was quite handicap.

Same with longstanding depression or long standing situational depression, it create changes in the brain. This is now why therapies and medication is readily suggested, so that those depression pathways are not being created to start with, to avoid a life of misery.

Heavy sport will enhance serotonine, 5 HTP will enhance it too, and taking the habit of positive thinking, even taking the habit to smile will change the brain.

------------------------------

By the way Dennis, yes magic mushrooms literally improves and often eliminates depression - researchers do not know why yet, but they did notice a statistically significant improvement.

I would not mind tripping next time i feel depressed........
    Last edited by Flash; 3rd September 2018 at 04:51.
    How to let the desire of your mind become the desire of your heart - Gurdjieff

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (3rd September 2018), hermit (4th September 2018), Mike (3rd September 2018), onawah (5th September 2018), RunningDeer (3rd September 2018), TargeT (3rd September 2018), Valerie Villars (3rd September 2018), what is a name? (3rd September 2018), Wind (3rd September 2018), Woody (3rd September 2018)

7. Link to Post #24
    Australia On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,551 times in 3,482 posts

For anyone with Netflix, this documentary follows the journey of a man battling depression who was losing the will to live and went to the Amazon to be treated by shamans as a last ditch effort to save his life. The last shaman who treated him is absolutely beautiful and his treatment with the plants and earth was intense.

This will be a powerful documentary for anyone who can relate to James. If you can relate and you’re still breathing you’re doing amazing.

I’m paraphrasing but Eckhart Tolle said if you want to kill yourself then kill your ego instead, he also said the secret to life is to die before you die. It’s hardcore to actually do that but it’s true and once you get through it you can look back on the depression as a gift, since without it you would never have been forced to experience such a profound transformation. Just never give up and you’ll make it, however long it takes it will be worth it.
    Never give up on your silly, silly dreams.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little BIGGER, darling.

8. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Innocent Warrior For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (3rd September 2018), DNA (18th January 2022), Flash (3rd September 2018), KiwiElf (3rd September 2018), Mike (3rd September 2018), onawah (5th September 2018), PathWalker (3rd September 2018), RunningDeer (3rd September 2018), TargeT (3rd September 2018), Valerie Villars (3rd September 2018), Wind (3rd September 2018), Woody (3rd September 2018)

9. Link to Post #25
    Scotland Avalon Member what is a name?'s Avatar
    Thanks

The more Westernized/capitalized a country is, the higher the depression rates - do you think this is coincidence?

The more Westernized/capitalized a country is, the more electronic components are used - do you think this is coincidence?

And the list could go on and on, and then add what other dimensions put into the melting pot and it's no surprise that our caged minds/bodies are rattled to the point of implosion - no coincidence eh? A happy human population is not desired in any shape or form.

But when groups come together and discuss, the energetics involved find a way to start dissolving the the bars of fear of the caged mind/body.

The old adage of a problem shared is a problem halved seems to have substance.

Thank you Mike for assisting everyones 'bars' to dissolve even more!

10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to what is a name? For This Post:

Caliban (3rd September 2018), Dennis Leahy (3rd September 2018), DNA (18th January 2022), Flash (3rd September 2018), Mike (3rd September 2018), onawah (3rd September 2018), Pam (3rd September 2018), RunningDeer (3rd September 2018), Wind (3rd September 2018), Woody (3rd September 2018)

11. Link to Post #26
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,527 times in 642 posts

Quote Posted by what is a name? (here)
    The more Westernized/capitalized a country is, the higher the depression rates - do you think this is coincidence?

The more Westernized/capitalized a country is, the more electronic components are used - do you think this is coincidence?

And the list could go on and on, and then add what other dimensions put into the melting pot and it's no surprise that our caged minds/bodies are rattled to the point of implosion - no coincidence eh? A happy human population is not desired in any shape or form.
    I want to put this out there even though I know many of us are wary of "channeled messages." But these thoughts are only partially channeled.

The other day I was thinking -- "Could negative subliminals be coming over the internet like they did (do?) with Television? Then yesterday I'm in a Barnes & Noble and leafing through an issue of Sedona, Journal of Emergence. I come across a message from "Grandfather," channeled by Robert Shapiro. The general gist of it is:

"We want to warn people of something. It will be difficult to explain it because we feel it is a resonance that influences in portions; nothing happens all at once, but it creates a cumulative effect. We believe this is happening largely over the internet, and it is being affected to a slight degree by news and some forms of popular music ... Primarily, 80 percent of the influence is coming through various forms of internet stimulus. Again, this is happening in bits and pieces but seems to accrue in the subconscious mind. For some reason, some people are susceptible to this. Tones might have something to do with it ... The reason we're being vague is it is not the same thing for everyone. The problem is that it usually results in the same thing, which is suicide. This is particularly appalling because most of these people would not perform this act otherwise."

Then the message offers a suggestion, "if you cannot cut down use, then try this benevolent magic. First, say, 'I am asking that all the most benevolent energies available for me be all around me and all about me now.' You will probably feel energy come up. When it levels off, you can say, 'I request that all forms of interference, including subliminal, particularly those, and internet, WiFi, and other forms of stimulation through music, sounds, tones, and other things that are causing harm in a cumulative way for some individuals now be neutralized so that they are benign to all beings, resulting in the most benevolent outcome.' "

It did feel synchronistic having the thoughts I had and then reading that. We really don't know what's coming through these machines do we? No fear, just awareness.

12. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Caliban For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (3rd September 2018), DNA (18th January 2022), ErtheVessel (4th September 2018), Flash (3rd September 2018), lightwalker (6th September 2018), Mike (3rd September 2018), RunningDeer (3rd September 2018), Valerie Villars (3rd September 2018), what is a name? (6th September 2018), Woody (3rd September 2018)

13. Link to Post #27
    United States Honored, Retired Member. Brook passed on 25 Oct, 2018.
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,199 times in 1,540 posts

Sorry Mike to hear you're going through depression. It's tough...as I know all too well.

Hang in there my friend...lot's of people here care very much about you and you can see this through.

There is a physical aspect to depression...it hurts physically. I know this too. When I have bouts of it now I notice my pain levels rise as well.

I'm also quite aware of masking it...I've been doing that for awhile now. It's just under the surface and from time to time it rears it head and comes out....spills all over the floor and I end of having to clean it up while enduring consistent crying jags....that is metaphorically speaking of course except for the crying jags.

I think once you get a handle on it most of that goes away. I also don't think it leave a permanent scar on anything except the memory of it which can be dealt with.

Whatever you choose and that is up to you to work it out, I wish you the best and have faith you can work it out.

Last edited by Shadowself; 3rd September 2018 at 16:49.

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Shadowself For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (3rd September 2018), DNA (18th January 2022), ErtheVessel (4th September 2018), Mike (3rd September 2018), onawah (3rd September 2018), RunningDeer (3rd September 2018), what is a name? (4th September 2018), Woody (3rd September 2018)

15. Link to Post #28
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,292 times in 18,139 posts

Quote Posted by Caliban (here)
    I want to put this out there even though I know many of us are wary of "channeled messages." But these thoughts are only partially channeled.

The other day I was thinking -- "Could negative subliminals be coming over the internet like they did (do?) with Television?
    Several years ago, I stopped watching videos that advertise how to raise your vibration, your frequency and all the new age/philosophy propaganda vids/sites.

Few Examples

Around that time I discovered the video below of how easy it is to manipulate another. Since then we’ve learned how much technology is used to alter us in a sundry of ways. Personal responsibility in behavioral changes helps me to fine tune cognition and consciousness. If I’m not aware enough to see the ways in which I hold myself hostage in mind games then how can I ward-off out side influences?

As my good friend use to say: Knowin’ ain’t doin’.

Repost:

There are videos and website designed to entrain or worse. Below is a an eye opening confirmation about embedded subliminal messages. As soon as I watch/listen to some YouTube vid, I get a headache or a distinct sensation in the third eye. They're mostly but not limited to the New Age and the relaxation videos. Some make it onto the forum.

@ 56 - This husband made a subliminal message to program his wife.
    “My wife doesn’t like to cook. We eat out a lot and I’m sick of it. Boy, wouldn’t this be great if I could get her to cook dinner and stay at home.” “…I put my final mp3 into her background screensaver so every day she’s hearing that play a few times a day…”

Subliminal Message - How to make a Subliminal Message - 7 minutes

Uploaded on Jan 23, 2009

Learn how to make a subliminal message cd or mp3. Fast easy way to create a subliminal message using subliminal message software. Subliminal messages are hidden messages in background music.
    Last edited by RunningDeer; 27th January 2022 at 17:44.

16. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Caliban (3rd September 2018), Dennis Leahy (3rd September 2018), DNA (18th January 2022), Flash (3rd September 2018), Mike (3rd September 2018), onawah (5th September 2018), Valerie Villars (3rd September 2018), what is a name? (4th September 2018), Woody (3rd September 2018)

17. Link to Post #29
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 115,975 times in 20,621 posts

I have a lot of respect for Chinese medicine. They have herbal formulas for depression and a vast array of other ailments which really work--it's just a matter of finding the right one.
    Each breath a gift...

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (5th September 2018), DNA (19th January 2022), Flash (3rd September 2018), Mike (3rd September 2018), RunningDeer (3rd September 2018), Woody (3rd September 2018)

19. Link to Post #30
    Language
    English
    Thanks

PS I have a friend who is taking this one for depression and she said it really works:https://shop.supremenutritionproduct...bizia-supreme/
    Each breath a gift...

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (5th September 2018), Mike (3rd September 2018), RunningDeer (3rd September 2018), Woody (3rd September 2018)

21. Link to Post #31
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,214 times in 5,680 posts

Yep thanks for all that Paula!

Personal responsibility and behavioral changes.....ah I love hearing that. Perhaps one can raise vibration thru some new agey practices, but your suggestion has much more staying power and longevity I'm sure.

You got me thinking about other techy things that mess with mood, and I think one of them may be lighting. Granted, I haven't looked into this too closely, but there is quite a bit of info out there on the dangers of the newer fluorescent bulbs, which have phased out what seems to be the much more harmless incandescent bulbs (I'm sure there's a thread on that here somewhere). There have been all sorts of links with fluorescent bulbs and depression, migraines etc.

So we're battling quite a bit, between subliminals, lighting, contaminated food, water, Wi-Fi, chemtrails.......the list goes on and on
    Last edited by Mike; 3rd September 2018 at 18:20.

22. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (5th September 2018), DNA (19th January 2022), ErtheVessel (5th September 2018), onawah (3rd September 2018), RunningDeer (3rd September 2018), what is a name? (4th September 2018), Wind (4th September 2018), Woody (3rd September 2018)

23. Link to Post #32
    Language
    English
    Thanks

deleted
    Last edited by RunningDeer; 3rd September 2018 at 20:38.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Mike (3rd September 2018), Woody (3rd September 2018)

25. Link to Post #33
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Seasonal Affective Disorder creates depression in people who don't get enough sunlight, but there have been studies which show that Full Spectrum light helps with that, and it's good for plants as well.
    Dr. Mercola's website used to sell CFL Full Spectrum bulbs and I've bought them for years and use them in all my fixtures, both for myself and my jungle of house plants.
    He doesn't sell them anymore because they weren't a big seller, but you can still get them online, and you can still read a good article about them here: https://products.mercola.com/light-bulbs/
    People think because they are CFLs, they have all the same problems as regular CFLs, but they don't.
    Carmody even checked them out and gave them his stamp of approval.
    I'm going to be shopping online soon for some new ones, and will post on here about that then.
    I may call Dr. Mercola's hotline and see if I can find out who the manufacturer was of the bulbs he used to carry.
    Some good threads about lighting:
    https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...um+light+bulbs
    https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...lbs#post850258
    https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...lbs#post701617
    Each breath a gift...

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (5th September 2018), DNA (19th January 2022), Mike (3rd September 2018), RunningDeer (3rd September 2018)

27. Link to Post #34
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,033 times in 910 posts

Not wanting to derail any of the insightful and very helpful posts from other members here I held off on my first impression of responding to you Mike, as I highly respect and learn from so many of the insights here. I sometimes just like to listen and learn. I didn't want the thread to be just a simple uplifting 'you're more than okay with me, brother', Which You Are.

However, it is still easy to say that you're doing quite well Mike. Your recognition and detail of the continued outer negativity you've gone thru is a healing that is the demarkation point between a very unhealthy life with a disturbed mate, been there...a whole family of 'been there', and a life open to your own empowerment and deserving. Some things just can't be hidden, like the cool you are and the necessary balance of good and wicked humor from you we enjoy here.

We don't see depression in isolation because it has many components in it's makeup. It's the same condition us lucky ones have been gifted with thru with most everything we are living in today. A lot of it is depressing and it is engineered that way, an engineering of choice from those who can. I see the depths of all those years of manipulating humanity and I remind myself of how valuable we all must be to require so much attention and valuable,wasted energies.

What we sometimes forget, and the thing so gemlike about this forum, is that we are still able to create, to engineer our own health and our surroundings. Here we remind each other to start by taking good care of ourselves. Our thoughts, our food, our time in nature. Our healthy friends, challenging us to let go and to have some humor to balance it all out. In some ways we've asked for it as the challenge we are accustomed to as souls, meant to transcend all of this. Despite all of that, surely meant to depress the F out of you, we step up and yell out our discontent....and our friends walk by and pick us up.

Nutrition and Mental Health:
    Years ago I heard about a mental health facility in Germany that had it's patients take raw onions into their daily diet. The subjects showed great signs of improvement in their respective conditions. The same goes with regularly including eating foods that have high B vitamin content like Niacinamide (B-3) as well as other vitamins like C, minerals, herbs, etc. Often balancing good, HDL, fats with proteins gives added, clear focus.

I've always seen nutrition as a key component in improving general mood and maintaining mental health. When we experience the influence of simple, strong and balanced eating upon our well being, a lot of judgmental issues, especially concerning ourselves, dissolve. Sometimes it is that simple.
    The condition of our bodies blood sugar balance also plays a vital part in maintaining a balanced mental approach.

Depression is a also a drug.
    It's good to prompt people to express their feelings, because the negativity, the depression and it's control usually cannot be changed until it is exposed to the light of our own consciousness, shared with the outside world or transformed by getting in with nature. Consistency in being physically active is amazing for mental health. For sure, physical activity makes a huge difference as long as it is not obsessive, which is okay for short periods, but not for long stretches. Shooting up the endorphins, in what is called a 'natural' way is sometimes necessary but it does have it's limits. A slow drip is healthy as F and more sustainable, even in sustaining our F's.

I do, and have for a while, step the F up and change the subject when I'm around any situation that perpetuates negativity without giving an insight or a solution to change it. The measure of the worth of doing so, either yes or no, is how attached the ego is to the expression of the negative. Do they want you to help or do they want to share in the guilt and pain, only to be overcome by their shared demons. It's the lingering effects of the dark life we all learn how to change with our thoughts, even a deep breath, often just getting up and walking around.

Interesting that subliminal messaging is mentioned. With that knowledge I turned off the sound and turned on the closed captioning part of the video and then read how to technically make a subliminal message. I trust that the person making the video may have thought it a good idea to embed a SubMess into the video, even if just for Sh#t's and Giggles.

We've been in the EMF/RF soup for a while now. The oddest thing is that there are very few good, if any, helpful souls with the ability to covertly add any positive words, that support healthy thinking, into any messages we receive. After all, it's just another tool that can grow health or a tool that can be weaponized. (It's the same thing I've wondered about for decades why the same ones aren't spraying herbs and vitamins into our atmosphere instead of the aluminum, barium and strontium, etc...they spray in the geo-engineering process. I even jokingly asked Cliff Carnicom years ago, at the end of one of his presentations, why that was not so. Half of a smile, but not much time for laughter then.) Oh, yeah....that's right... good folks tell you what you're gettin' in your dinner, even when it's a tasty spice you've added.
    Last edited by Hym; 3rd September 2018 at 20:15.

28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hym For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (5th September 2018), DNA (19th January 2022), ErtheVessel (4th September 2018), Mike (3rd September 2018), onawah (3rd September 2018), RunningDeer (3rd September 2018), what is a name? (4th September 2018)

29. Link to Post #35
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,684 times in 8,938 posts

Quote Posted by onawah (here)
    Seasonal Affective Disorder creates depression in people who don't get enough sunlight, but there have been studies which show that Full Spectrum light helps with that, and it's good for plants as well.
    Dr. Mercola's website used to sell CFL Full Spectrum bulbs and I've bought them for years and use them in all my fixtures, both for myself and my jungle of house plants.
    He doesn't sell them anymore because they weren't a big seller, but you can still get them online, and you can still read a good article about them here: https://products.mercola.com/light-bulbs/
    People think because they are CFLs, they have all the same problems as regular CFLs, but they don't.
    Carmody even checked them out and gave them his stamp of approval.
    I'm going to be shopping online soon for some new ones, and will post on here about that then.
    I may call Dr. Mercola's hotline and see if I can find out who the manufacturer was of the bulbs he used to carry.
    Some good threads about lighting:
    https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...lbs#post850258
    https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...lbs#post701617
    light therapy may be good for seasonal depression, however, I had congenital catarats in both eyes and had catarat surgery at 45. Believe it or not, after the surgery, no need for CFL and no seasonal depression.

Light has a lot to do with depression and also eyes health. IMO
    How to let the desire of your mind become the desire of your heart - Gurdjieff

30. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (5th September 2018), hermit (4th September 2018), Hym (3rd September 2018), Mike (3rd September 2018), onawah (3rd September 2018), RunningDeer (3rd September 2018), what is a name? (4th September 2018)

31. Link to Post #36
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Part of the reason for the lingering depression that I felt after my release from suicidal tendencies had to do with my theories about spirituality.
    I thought that I had to constantly monitor myself and remain identified only with the Light, denying my own Shadow.
    But that kept me in a constant battle with myself, since the Shadow side must be brought into the open and accepted in order to be understood and to evolve.
    I was also in denial about how much I doubted, how my faith wasn't really grounded in reality, and was therefore quite shaky.
    I couldn't believe that God was Love with all the horrors that I saw in the world.
    So I stopped believing in that God and started believing in the Creator, who created both Darkness and Light, and tried to learn to accept that, and to continue working toward evolving more toward the Light, without constantly trying to deny that my dark side had any value or relevance.
    After all, Creator was responsible for the Darkness as well as the Light, and we are stuck with it, no matter how much we would like not to identify with it....
    But I think we learn to become stronger through our experience of the dark side. and if it has value, then it is that, and I've learned to appreciate it.
    updateJust wanted to add this image and quote:"We will become our opposite if we do not learn to accommodate the opposition within us." Carl Jung
    [Image: Solve Sundo]

Also to add that some years ago I read an interview with a beautiful black supermodel who had moved to the West from Somalia when she was a young girl, been "discovered" and became part of the world of fashion. It left a lasting impression on me. She recalled very well growing up in a poor, nomadic, sheep herding tribe in Somalia, living mostly outdoors, close to Nature and the animals. She said that her people were so happy compared to the all the well-off, successful "beautiful people" that she met in the West, and most of the other ordinary Westerners that she encountered in her new life as well. She went back home after her success and still felt the same way, and that she had not imagined that happiness just because she had been a child when she last encountered it. Of course, there could be many reasons for such a marked difference, but I think that our lost connection to Nature and the other remarkable lifeforms that cohabit this planet with us is responsible for much of the unhappiness of those of us who live with so more much complexity and the resulting stress.
    Last edited by onawah; 3rd September 2018 at 22:06.
    Each breath a gift...

32. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (5th September 2018), DNA (19th January 2022), ErtheVessel (4th September 2018), Hym (3rd September 2018), Mike (3rd September 2018), Valerie Villars (3rd September 2018), what is a name? (4th September 2018)

33. Link to Post #37
    United States Avalon Member Dennis Leahy's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,580 times in 5,817 posts

Should be on the "required reading" list for Avalon members: John Ott: "Health and Light" https://www.amazon.com/Health-Light-.../dp/0898040981

(Obviously, you can buy the book elsewhere too, like $6 on ebay.)

John Ott's story (John discovered much about light and health, and invented the full-spectrum light bulb because of it.)

Quote "Synopsis:
    The story of John Ott's discovery of the role light plays in sustaining physical health is one of the true scientific breakthroughs of the last quarter century. It is the story of an observant, intelligent man who acted upon his observations and then supported them with scientific experimentation. The importance of light has long been known esoterically, but it has largely been ignored by science. Health and Light has led many people to a greater understanding of the subtle role light plays -- both constructively and destructively -- in maintaining physical and emotional health. Health and Light also reveals the rigidity with which established science greets new breakthroughs."

34. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

DNA (19th January 2022), ErtheVessel (5th September 2018), Flash (3rd September 2018), Hym (3rd September 2018), Mike (3rd September 2018), onawah (3rd September 2018), RunningDeer (3rd September 2018), what is a name? (4th September 2018)

35. Link to Post #38
    Language
    English
    Thanks

See:Colbeck cites health as reason to slow 5G rush

Technology is making us depressed, especially cell phone tech, but 5G is even worse.
    (Also posted here: https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...=1#post1245766)
    Each breath a gift...

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (5th September 2018), DNA (19th January 2022), Mike (4th September 2018), RunningDeer (4th September 2018), what is a name? (4th September 2018)

37. Link to Post #39
    Language
    English
    Thanks

See:Colbeck cites health as reason to slow 5G rush
    Technology is making us depressed, especially cell phone tech, but 5G is even worse.
    (Also posted here: https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...=1#post1245766)
    Transcribed:

We all are fully immersed in the so-called Internet of Things: computers, phones, vehicles, TVs and even refrigerators, and toasters are now connected to the internet. The benefits of our connected universe are potentially very significant. Unfortunately there is an increasing body of evidence that suggests that the health risks are very significant as well.

Now, I don't bring this concern to you lightly. I’m a techie at heart. I've been an early adopter of technology ever since I was knee-high to a grasshopper. And I was one of the first internet based telecommuters during my work virtuality training systems for Department of Defense. I boldly go where many have not gone before as an aerospace engineer designing systems for the International Space Station.

In other words, it would be extremely difficult for anyone to make the case that I'm an advocate of returning to the days when we bang rock together to make fire. Having said that, I have serious concerns regarding evidence of adverse health impacts due to a specific class of technology wonders, wireless transmitters, especially high-frequency, high-power wireless transmitters. The most ubiquitous examples of wireless technology, our cellphones, Wi-Fi routers and smart meters. This technology is found in our homes. our workplaces, hospitals and in our schools.

For techies such as myself, it provides unparalleled convenience by connecting a growing number of devices to the Internet of Things. However it is becoming increasingly evident that this convenience comes at a price and it comes at a price to the health of many of our citizens. Most notably children, babies in the womb, and even adults who suffer from hypersensitivity to wireless transmissions.

A few weeks ago, I distributed sample data to each of you from scientific studies of the effects of radio frequency emissions compiled by bioinitiatives.org that highlight the adverse health effects of various profiles of wireless transmissions. The adverse health effects identified by these studies are VERY serious. These effects include: cancer, neurological problems, immune system disorders and reproductive harm. It has been demonstrated that radio frequency radiation can have adverse impacts at the cellular level including harmful mutations of human DNA. Most alarming of all is that children are most vulnerable to these adverse impacts including children in the womb of pregnant mothers.

It is for this reason that Wi-Fi in schools represents a particularly significant health risk; not just for students but also for pregnant teachers. Classrooms can have as many of as one transmitter for every 10 students. Countries such as France and Israel have responded to these health concerns by passing laws restricting the use of Wi-Fi in schools.

Yesterday this body passed a suite of bills designed to protect Michigan's children. Today we’re proposing to do the exact opposite and put our children at increased risk. We are now discussing the deployment of 5G networks throughout our state.

5G networks operate in the 24 to 90 gigahertz spectrum. This is a MUCH higher frequency than the current 2.4 gigahertz or 5 gigahertz frequencies found in current Wi-Fi networks. High frequency transmissions don’t travel well through solid objects, so 5G will likely require one transmitter for every 2 to 10 homes. This is a much higher density than current cell tower distribution which have already been Associated with significant health care risks.

This legislation makes matters worse. Under these bills local units of government are prohibited from enacting ordinances that would provide safe havens for citizens with sensitivity to high frequency radio frequency emissions. In the wake of the 1996 Federal Telecom Act the FCC. not the Center for Disease Control is responsible for regulating human exposure standards. The FCC has established maximum power density thresholds for radio frequency emissions in the 24 to 90 Giga spectrum of 5G networks as 5mm watts per square centimeter.

This exposure threshold is based upon thermal concerns analogous to microwave cooking but have yet to be defined on the basis of non thermal concerns. Ionizing radiation has been proven to disrupt the basic cell functions that well below the thermal threshold promoted by the FCC. As a result, any concerns about radiation exposure are routinely greeted with the words: emissions are well within FCC guidelines.

The issue is that these guidelines indicate acceptable radiation levels which are orders of magnitude above what has been demonstrated as safe when non-thermal effects are considered. The FCC guidelines are clearly insufficient. Now many of us are rightly concerned about the hazards of cigarettes, lead levels, PFOS levels, and other harmful substances in our environment, but I regret to inform you that we need to add electromagnetic radiation from wireless technology to this list.

In light of the policy and issues before our body and our representatives in DC that would put our current current wireless infrastructure on steroids. It is critically important that we evaluate the non-thermal health impacts of this technology before we invest billions of dollars on these systems.

Article 4, Section 51 of the Michigan Constitution states that: the public health and general welfare of the people of the state are hereby declared to be matters of primary public concern. The legislature shall pass suitable laws for protection and promotion of public health.

Despite the convenience and the enormous economic growth potential associated with the Internet of Things, our primary concern as legislators is not convenience nor economic growth. As much as I love technology per our Michigan Constitution, the public health and general welfare the people the state are supposed to be our primary concern.

In this light, we need to proceed with caution before we fully immerse our citizens in the Internet of Things. I urge my colleagues to vote no on Senate Bill 637 and 894 and I'd like my remarks the journal please.

38. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (5th September 2018), DNA (19th January 2022), ErtheVessel (4th September 2018), Flash (6th September 2018), Hym (4th September 2018), Mike (4th September 2018), onawah (4th September 2018), Orph (4th September 2018), what is a name? (4th September 2018)

39. Link to Post #40
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Flash (here)
    By the way Dennis, yes magic mushrooms literally improves and often eliminates depression - researchers do not know why yet, but they did notice a statistically significant improvement.

I would not mind tripping next time i feel depressed........

I actually have a theory about that!

In my case, the depression I was experience was so great that it became debilitating. The only thing that pulled me out of it was being confronted with a very good logical argument, the solution of which I knew was wrong, even though the argument was sound.

Three days later, I'd re-programmed my brain without realizing I'd done it. I suspect that the mushrooms probably do something similar, sweeping out present chemistry and hard-track re-wiring pathways.

Personally, I prefer the philosophical method? :D I've seen and experienced how some people react negatively to medications. It's not the treatments per say, it's trying to self regulate to get some "emotions" back into their lives. And when you play with anti-psychotics....it's not a good scene.

-start a discipline of some form of contemplative meditation. Zazen is perfect. Centering Prayer also good.

-start a regular regime of physical activity. Movement is critical to shifting brain chemistry. A quick run does wonders for me, it could for you as well.

-pay attention to your diet and intake. Narcotics? Sugars? Anything wild? Or mild? Move things out of your diet for a time and see if it helps/hurts.

-the hardest one for me to accept was that it was OK to be depressed. Even though the pain was horrible for me, and there were days where I would be so sad that I would just cry, somehow accepting the current position I was in helped. I just asked the Universe to let that suffering I was undergoing be linked to someone else I knew who was in agony, and try to let my own suffering be a way of lifting some of the burden of another's suffering.

And... I will pray for you.

40. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to hermit For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (5th September 2018), Flash (6th September 2018), Hazelfern (7th September 2018), Mike (5th September 2018), onawah (5th September 2018), RunningDeer (5th September 2018), what is a name? (5th September 2018), Wind (5th September 2018)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast