Thread: Linux: an alternative to Windows 10

1. Link to Post #201
    Netherlands Avalon Member ExomatrixTV's Avatar
    Language
    English, Dutch, German, Limburgs
    Thanks
    Thanked 125,779 times in 20,838 posts

Default Re: Linux: an alternative to Windows 10

• 10 Things To Do on Linux Mint 21 after (super easy) install ...

This is a quick guide on what to do after installing Linux Mint 21 'Vanessa' as well as a quick overview of the new features of the release.
    • 0:00 Welcome to Mint 21
    • 1:00 Updates, Mirrors, Kernel
    • 4:00 Backups, Snapshots
    • 5:29 Drivers
    • 6:10 Appearance, Widgets, Extensions
    • 9:46 Web apps (Office, OneNote)
    • 10:23 Gaming (Steam et al.)
    • 11:02 Enable online accounts/storage
    • 13:56 App recommendations
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

greybeard (20th October 2022), Michel Leclerc (1st March 2023), pounamuknight (20th October 2022)

3. Link to Post #202
    Language
    Thanks

• Linux Mint 21.1 "Vera" is like WINDOWS, and I'm fine with that!

Open Source & 100% FREE
    • 00:00 Intro
    • 00:32 Sponsor: Stream any desktop, OS, or app to your browser with Kasm
    • 01:38 Mint's new Windows-like theme
    • 05:47 Software Management improvements
    • 07:50 Desktop Changes
    • 11:24 Is Linux Mint still Mint?
    • 13:51 Sponsor: Get a device that runs Linux perfectly with Tuxedo
    • 14:44 Support the channel
    The default look is completely different. First, the green accent color is gone. It's now a very usual blue. Gone are the colored folders, now they're your basic manilla yellow color, with a stripe on top of them to use your favorite accent color. Even window controls have changed icons. You can still use the older themes, that they call "legacy". That default look is also complimented by a new cursor theme called Bibata. Sounds received an update as well, and are now using Material design v2 sounds. The second big change in Mint 21.1 is its Flatpak support.

The update manager now supports flatpak applications and runtimes. Mint's Software Manager also gets the usual dropdown menu to let you pick between the flatpak package or the regular deb package from the repos. Mint uses Flathub by the way, so you should get everything you need from there. It's really not perfect, though, as searches will return multiple instances of the same application. Another change is the way Mint handles drivers. First, the driver manager, the tool that lets you see if there ARE drivers you could install and install them, well that now runs in user mode, so you don't need to enter your password just to open the application.

If you're offline, you'll also get a dedicated screen to let you know why the app is empty, and you can also now use USB drives to install drivers, for example if you plug in a live USB, Mint will be able to detect it, and offer to mount it, so you can install drivers from that. Cinnamon 5.6 comes with a new corner bar, which is another callback to window's default layout: it's a small vertical applet, stuck to the far right of the default panel.

Hovering over it allows you to peek at the desktop by hiding all windows, complete with a blur effect if you want, but you can also click that corner bar with the left mouse button, or the middle mouse button, and configure what which click does, between either showing the desktop, showing the desklets, showing the workspace selector or showing the window selector.

In the context menu when right-clicking on the desktop, you can also now directly access the display settings, and the default desktop icons were cleaned up, with the removal of the home folder, Computer, Trash, and Network. Nemo, the file manager, also gets a few changes, like showing the dates in list view in a monospaced font, improving the path bar, by letting you click on the current path to toggle the location URL bar, while navigating to a different folder will bring the path bar back.

Smaller changes include a search entry in the shortcuts settings so you can look at all the various shortcuts you might want to change, preferred applications are now featured by categories, you can configure the duration for which notifications will stay visible, the themes list is now sorted between dark and light themes, and current and legacy themes, and you also get window placement mode back in the window manager.

Oh and also, Mint won't bug you for your password as often as it once did. For example, uninstalling a flatpak app that you installed for your user and not the whole system won't require a password. The same goes for removing local shortcuts and local applications you only installed for yourself. And Synaptic and the Update manager will also remember if you entered your password recently, so they won't ask for it for every single action.
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 26th January 2023 at 17:54.
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

greybeard (26th January 2023), Journeyman (26th January 2023), Michi (26th January 2023), Mike Gorman (26th January 2023)

5. Link to Post #203
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,212 times in 1,146 posts

Does it seem stable John?

I have a laptop with Mint Vanessa xfce and Win 10 on a dual boot but have been back to Windows since chromium browser crashes drove me nuts. May give this one a go though, maybe a clean install will get me going again.

6. Link to Post #204
    Language
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Journeyman (here)

I have a laptop with Mint Vanessa xfce and Win 10 on a dual boot but have been back to Windows since chromium browser crashes drove me nuts. May give this one a go though, maybe a clean install will get me going again.

chromium browser?

Why not Firefox or Brave browser for Linux

7. Link to Post #205
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,648 times in 1,409 posts

Quote Posted by ExomatrixTV (here)

chromium browser?

They don't mention "Brave" ( I see you have, I'm on that right now) or "Vivaldi", both excellent browsers, as good if not better that all of those on that list, brave even has the option to open a link in Tor.

As for Linux, I swapped from Ubuntu to Mint & I'm finding it not as good, one problem is that it won't see other HDDs in extensions, so can't swap files which is very frustrating as all my pics are on my old HDDs .

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Spiral For This Post:

palehorse (27th January 2023)

9. Link to Post #206
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,414 times in 1,572 posts

Quote Posted by Spiral (here)

chromium browser?

They don't mention "Brave" ( I see you have, I'm on that right now) or "Vivaldi", both excellent browsers, as good if not better that all of those on that list, brave even has the option to open a link in Tor.

As for Linux, I swapped from Ubuntu to Mint & I'm finding it not as good, one problem is that it won't see other HDDs in extensions, so can't swap files which is very frustrating as all my pics are on my old HDDs .

Do you mean the drivers not showing in the file manager GUI?
    Is your hard drives mounted? you can easily check if they are mounted somewhere on the filesystem.

Code:
    mount | grep /dev/sd
    Code:
    lsblk
    Code:
    findmnt
    just open the terminal and type in any of the above commands.

Another useful way, but only if you know what the filesystem is, that would be:
    Code:
    mount -l -t file_system
    just replace the `file_system` string by the filesystem from that drive for example `fuseblk`, `ext4`, `ntfs`, `fat32`, and so on...

It will list mounted and unmounted drivers. If it is not there you can try to mount it first to create the device file (e.g. /dev/sda) and check if it shows up in your filesystem, if it is already mounted and it still not showing up in the filesystem, maybe the issue is somewhere else related to the file system GUI.

If it is mounted, try to list the drive using the terminal with the command:
    Code:
    ls -l /run/media/your_user/drive_name/
    The above path is my Linux Manjaro, the mount point differ from Linux to Linux.
    --
    A chaos to the sense, a Kosmos to the reason.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Spiral (27th January 2023)

11. Link to Post #207
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,605 times in 673 posts

I've been using debian forever, and that's not likely to change any time soon. As most linux users know, it lags behind the other distributions, but I use older hardware, and have no real need for cutting edge anything, so that works fine for me.
    The only place a perfect right angle ever CAN be, is the mind.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gord For This Post:

palehorse (28th January 2023), Spiral (27th January 2023)

13. Link to Post #208
    Language
    Thanks

chromium browser?

"I can't" versus "I can" depends on how much effort you use to find solutions via multiple search-engines using specific key-words that helps finding what you are looking for to solve the issue!

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Michi (27th January 2023), palehorse (28th January 2023), Spiral (27th January 2023), Strat (27th January 2023)

15. Link to Post #209
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by palehorse (here)

chromium browser?

Is your hard drives mounted? you can easily check if they are mounted somewhere on the filesystem.

Code:
    mount | grep /dev/sd
    Code:
    lsblk
    Code:
    findmnt

Code:
    mount -l -t file_system
    just replace the `file_system` string by the filesystem from that drive for example `fuseblk`, `ext4`, `ntfs`, `fat32`, and so on...

It will list mounted and unmounted drivers. If it is not there you can try to mount it first to create the device file (e.g. /dev/sda) and check if it shows up in your filesystem, if it is already mounted and it still not showing up in the filesystem, maybe the issue is somewhere else related to the file system GUI.

Code:
    I have old HDDs with old OS's on, when I start a new OS I put it on a brand new HDD, (now moved on to a SSD ). This in a laptop that can only accommodate one hard drive.

I wanted to retrieve old files from the old HDDs , which I could always do with Ubuntu, I put the old HDDs in an extension box & connect it with a usb cable.

However this time I updated the OS I went with Linux Mint , not expecting this problem..... but having gone on the forums etc it's a real head ache, no one has a clear answer (unless somethings come out very recently). I'm not an IT person, I'm not confident in doing much through the command terminal tbh, I tried to follow someone "advice" the first time I had ubuntu & ended up having to reinstall the entire OS & wipe everything.

I'm thinking its going to be easier to re-install each HDD one at a time with the laptop off line, and put all the files I want ( pics of my late dog) on a thumb drive.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spiral For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (27th January 2023), palehorse (28th January 2023)

17. Link to Post #210
    Aaland Avalon Member Blastolabs's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,352 times in 432 posts

This in a laptop that can only accommodate one hard drive.
    Does that laptop have a DVD drive?
    If so then you can most likely remove the DVD drive and insert slot for another hard drive.

This works because on most laptops the DVD drive uses the same type of connection as the DVD drive did.

I've done it on more laptops than I can count and it always worked, all have been running linux, and you can even have a different operating system on each one, or use it as storage, it shows up just like a normal hard drive.

I am 95% sure these things are universal, meaning they work on any laptop with a DVD drive, but I could be wrong, I would look to see if these things are compatible with your specific laptop to be safe.

I can't explain things well, the pictures might do it better.

This kind of thing doesn't seem to have a standardized name, but on Amazon they call one a
    Quote Universal Internal HDD Caddy for SATA 2.5 Inch Hard Drive SSD HDD Caddy, Computer Hard Drive Enclosures for CD/DVD ROM
    Last edited by Blastolabs; 27th January 2023 at 21:04.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blastolabs For This Post:

palehorse (28th January 2023), Spiral (27th January 2023)

19. Link to Post #211
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Blastolabs (here)
    This in a laptop that can only accommodate one hard drive.
    Does that laptop have a DVD drive?
    If so then you can most likely remove the DVD drive and insert slot for another hard drive.

This works because on most laptops the DVD drive uses the same type of connection as the DVD drive did.

I've done it on more laptops than I can count and it always worked, all have been running linux, and you can even have a different operating system on each one, or use it as storage, it shows up just like a normal hard drive.

I am 95% sure these things are universal, meaning they work on any laptop with a DVD drive, but I could be wrong, I would look to see if these things are compatible with your specific laptop to be safe.

I can't explain things well, the pictures might do it better.

This kind of thing doesn't seem to have a standardized name, but on Amazon they call one a
    Quote Universal Internal HDD Caddy for SATA 2.5 Inch Hard Drive SSD HDD Caddy, Computer Hard Drive Enclosures for CD/DVD ROM
    Wow, that looks doable, thanks !

EDIT; this type of thing ? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bewinner-Ad...58&sr=8-4&th=1
    Last edited by Spiral; 27th January 2023 at 22:03.

20. Link to Post #212
    Language
    German
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,206 times in 437 posts

I would go back to Ubuntu as this apparently worked well for you.
    In my old days I used to use CentOS but changed two years ago to UBUNTU since it's a more recent and modern kernel.

You can always test other systems first by running it "live" from a USB stick.
    With that you keep your stable linux on your hard drive untouched.
    "The greatest good you can do for another is not just share your riches, but to reveal to him his own."
    -- Benjamin Disraeli

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michi For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (30th January 2023), Spiral (28th January 2023)

22. Link to Post #213
    Language
    English
    Thanks

chromium browser?

Code:
    mount | grep /dev/sd
    Code:
    lsblk
    Code:
    findmnt

Code:
    mount -l -t file_system

Code:
    I have old HDDs with old OS's on, when I start a new OS I put it on a brand new HDD, (now moved on to a SSD ). This in a laptop that can only accommodate one hard drive.

I wanted to retrieve old files from the old HDDs , which I could always do with Ubuntu, I put the old HDDs in an extension box & connect it with a usb cable.

However this time I updated the OS I went with Linux Mint , not expecting this problem..... but having gone on the forums etc it's a real head ache, no one has a clear answer (unless somethings come out very recently). I'm not an IT person, I'm not confident in doing much through the command terminal tbh, I tried to follow someone "advice" the first time I had ubuntu & ended up having to reinstall the entire OS & wipe everything.

I'm thinking its going to be easier to re-install each HDD one at a time with the laptop off line, and put all the files I want ( pics of my late dog) on a thumb drive.

It is strange, since Mint is based on Ubuntu and it works on Ubuntu.
    Blastolabs suggested a very good solution too, I had done that to an old HP laptop, it works as expected.
    Another solution would be to go back to Ubuntu since it proved to be reliable for you.

Interesting case happened to me years ago, and until now if I reinstall the OS I will face the same problem.. I have an old HP laptop and it has an intel wireless card on it (not very popular) which has no open source driver, hence distributions like Debian won't recognize the proprietary wireless card, because they ship open source software only.. my solution was to install a Linux that ship it as a package to be installed, for some reason I could not install the same package on Debian, I just picked another distro and it worked as expected. Sometimes the easy and fast way is just to change the OS.

~~~

I think worth to mention for other users interested in using Linux:

Manjaro is very user friendly, I would compare it with Ubuntu, except when things go wrong, Ubuntu still a better system for beginners in Linux, got a much better support for third parties, but it opens a breach for malicious code been installed, e.g. adding Unknown PPA reps

Debian is great, rock solid distribution, can't go wrong with it, but I think not for beginners, unless put some effort to learn it properly, which is not that hard really.

Always check for resolutions with the official documentation of the OS, unless the source is reputable, otherwise do not use search engines like Google to search solutions for you problem, because most blogs/websites out there they contain Ads. and they are click bait sort of thing and pretty much always contains very bad or incomplete info. Stick with the official documentation and forums of the OS community (this is really your best shot). If you got experience then just use your intuition of course
    Last edited by palehorse; 28th January 2023 at 05:19.
    --

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (30th January 2023), Spiral (28th January 2023)

24. Link to Post #214
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by gord (here)
    I've been using debian forever, and that's not likely to change any time soon. As most linux users know, it lags behind the other distributions, but I use older hardware, and have no real need for cutting edge anything, so that works fine for me.
    Great distro Gord, I am a big fan of Debian, but I switched to Manjaro years ago to try it and I really liked but I am thinking to go back to Debian this year, I think I got enough of rolling-release model system Arch-like.
    --

25. The Following User Says Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (5th November 2023)

26. Link to Post #215
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Ubuntu still a better system for beginners in Linux, got a much better support for third parties, but it opens a breach for malicious code been installed, e.g. adding Unknown PPA reps
    Can you explain that for non IT speakers please .

Debian is great, rock solid distribution, can't go wrong with it, but I think not for beginners, unless put some effort to learn it properly, which is not that hard really.

Always check for resolutions with the official documentation of the OS, unless the source is reputable, otherwise do not use search engines like Google to search solutions for you problem, because most blogs/websites out there they contain Ads. and they are click bait sort of thing and pretty much always contains very bad or incomplete info. Stick with the official documentation and forums of the OS community (this is really your best shot). If you got experience then just use your intuition of course
    I always use the relevant linux / ubuntu / mint forums and never those awful advise sites full of ads, plus I don't like google anymore than I like microsoft, both of which are nothing short of evil.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Quote Posted by Michi (here)
    I would go back to Ubuntu as this apparently worked well for you.
    In my old days I used to use CentOS but changed two years ago to UBUNTU since it's a more recent and modern kernel.

You can always test other systems first by running it "live" from a USB stick.
    With that you keep your stable linux on your hard drive untouched.
    I'm seriously thinking about it, it's only the amount of things I've got going on that's holding me back.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Spiral For This Post:

palehorse (1st February 2023)

28. Link to Post #216
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,155 times in 8,181 posts

What about a USB hard drive dock ?

Or was that the problem ( with Mint ) in the first place ?

I'm still struggling in windows land so I don't know what the issues are.

I've been using a couple of these ( older version with card slots too ) for a decade. A 2.5" SATA drive fits the same slot as a 3.5" SATA drive.

I have about a hundred hard drives, so this dock is a vital bit of kit for me.

Ignore me if I'm being stupid here.
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (5th November 2023), palehorse (1st February 2023), Spiral (1st February 2023)

30. Link to Post #217
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Ubuntu still a better system for beginners in Linux, got a much better support for third parties, but it opens a breach for malicious code been installed, e.g. adding Unknown PPA reps
    Can you explain that for non IT speakers please .

I always use the relevant linux / ubuntu / mint forums and never those awful advise sites full of ads, plus I don't like google anymore than I like microsoft, both of which are nothing short of evil.

PPA stands for Personal Package Archives, they are not maintained by Ubuntu/Canonical but they are small software repository, usually created by developers, but anyone can create one and disseminate packages on internet. Debian and pretty much all the derivative distributions make use of it, including Mint and Ubuntu.

It is better that way. The PPA repositories can be found everywhere, quite a few on github and others software repositories across the web.
    --

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (5th November 2023), Spiral (1st February 2023)

32. Link to Post #218
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by norman (here)
    What about a USB hard drive dock ?

Or was that the problem ( with Mint ) in the first place ?

I'm still struggling in windows land so I don't know what the issues are.

I've been using a couple of these ( older version with card slots too ) for a decade. A 2.5" SATA drive fits the same slot as a 3.5" SATA drive.

I have about a hundred hard drives, so this dock is a vital bit of kit for me.

Ignore me if I'm being stupid here.
    The problem with mint is it won't see those things. Ubuntu did no problem.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spiral For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (5th November 2023), palehorse (5th February 2023)

34. Link to Post #219
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,860 times in 11,838 posts

Linux Mint 21.2 Proposals

Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (5th November 2023), palehorse (5th November 2023)

36. Link to Post #220
    Language
    Thanks

Lightbulb Re: Linux: an alternative to Windows 10

• The 40+ Linux Tier 2023 List

The definitive Linux tier list. It will make many upset, but I explain why there are so many pointless distros that score so low on the tier list.

00:00 Debian and Arch
    00:50 What are the Tiers
    02:20 Alma Rocky Oracle RHEL Centos and Fedora
    03:30 Ubuntu
    04:20 Alpine Linux
    04:55 AntiX
    05:20 Arco Linux
    06:25 Manjaro
    07:30 Artix
    08:05 Clear Linux
    09:15 Deepin
    09:50 KDE Neon
    10:15 Elementary OS
    11:20 Endeavor and Garuda
    11:37 Feren OS
    11:55 Gentoo
    12:55 Kali Linux
    14:00 Parrot
    15:00 Kubuntu
    16:10 Linux Mint 21.2
    16:45 Lubuntu
    17:10 MX Linux
    17:35 NixOS
    17:50 PCLinuxOS
    18:17 Peppermint
    18:30 PopOS
    19:45 Puppy Linux
    20:20 Slackware
    20:55 Solus
    21:30 SUSE and OpenSUSE
    22:20 Tails and Qubes
    23:10 Void Linux
    23:30 TinyCore
    23:45 Zorin
    24:30 Nobara
    25:45 What you should look for in a Distribution
    • 100% related:

• Why I Deleted Windows For Good ...:

Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 6th November 2023 at 13:13.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

greybeard (6th November 2023), palehorse (5th November 2023)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst 1 11 12 LastLast