+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux: an alternative to Windows 10

1. Link to Post #21
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,330 times in 2,365 posts

Default Re: Linux: an alternative to Windows 10

Quote Posted by Star Mariner (here)
    Thank you Chris, this is interesting and timely. I was recently worrying about the impending end to Win 7 support, which effectively forces an upgrade to Win 10. No thanks. I already have Win 10 on my laptop, and it is top to bottom inside out hideous. That's just the user experience, forget the terrible privacy issues.

I've been a Windows user since 3.1. The idea of moving to another platform is a bit scary. But I'm liking the look of Linux Mint 19, probably because the general nuts and bolts of it looks so familiar. That's a big selling point for me. My one concern is the compatibility of my software, particularly with how Libre handles MS Office documents. I need to look into that.
    You'll probably like Linux Mint Cinnamon, which is a GUI similar to WinXP. I like the Cinnamon GUI better than any other, by far, but it does crash once in awhile on bootup. I used Mint for years till I recently switched to Debian Cinnamon which runs more slowly and surely. Although this post is being written on a Mac -- in my opinion Mac has the worst GUI around. But it's also possibly the most stable OS out there, system-wise.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

greybeard (5th September 2018), Mark (Star Mariner) (5th September 2018), meat suit (5th September 2018), Michelle Marie (5th September 2018), PathWalker (7th September 2018), toppy (5th September 2018)

3. Link to Post #22
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Michelle Marie (here)
    How complex would it be to get my new laptop that is running Windows 8.1 to move to Linux (distro)?

Also, what are the advantages? And how big of a learning curve would it be?

I only used Linux briefly in the 90s.

I did use to use DOS back in the day!

Thanks in advance.

MM
    Most painless way to switch to Linux is dual boot -- Linux Mint DVD give you that option. Eventually, you'll find you're booting to Windows less and less.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Quote Posted by Paul (here)
    Ok, I will. I started at the last post first, and ...
    Ah - if by "last post" you mean my Post #14, above, then that is probably the "last post" you should read on this thread. My perspective is, shall we say, not the same as that of those who will most appreciate greybeard's starting this discussion.

I do like Windows 7 the best.

MM
    then go with linux mint cinnamon

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

greybeard (5th September 2018), Inaiá (23rd September 2018), Michelle Marie (5th September 2018), toppy (5th September 2018)

5. Link to Post #23
    Language
    German
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,006 times in 904 posts

Quote Posted by TomKat (here)
    Quote Posted by Star Mariner (here)
    Thank you Chris, this is interesting and timely. I was recently worrying about the impending end to Win 7 support, which effectively forces an upgrade to Win 10. No thanks. I already have Win 10 on my laptop, and it is top to bottom inside out hideous. That's just the user experience, forget the terrible privacy issues.

I've been a Windows user since 3.1. The idea of moving to another platform is a bit scary. But I'm liking the look of Linux Mint 19, probably because the general nuts and bolts of it looks so familiar. That's a big selling point for me. My one concern is the compatibility of my software, particularly with how Libre handles MS Office documents. I need to look into that.
    You'll probably like Linux Mint Cinnamon, which is a GUI similar to WinXP. I like the Cinnamon GUI better than any other, by far, but it does crash once in awhile on bootup. I used Mint for years till I recently switched to Debian Cinnamon which runs more slowly and surely. Although this post is being written on a Mac -- in my opinion Mac has the worst GUI around. But it's also possibly the most stable OS out there, system-wise.
    this is a good and timely thread for me, Mozilla have stopped firefox support for XP a few weeks ago and its really time for me to move on. I have bought a win 10 laptop but it hasnt seen much use yet. I will try the Cinnamon route....

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to meat suit For This Post:

greybeard (5th September 2018), Michelle Marie (5th September 2018), toppy (5th September 2018)

7. Link to Post #24
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,860 times in 11,838 posts

It would be helpful if anyone who has recently moved from Windows to Linux Mint shares their experience on this thread.

Chris
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Michelle Marie (5th September 2018), ThePythonicCow (5th September 2018), toppy (5th September 2018)

9. Link to Post #25
    Language
    English
    Thanks

TOP 5 Reasons Why I ONLY Use Linux Mint (Best Linux Distro Ever?) Geekoutdoors.com EP698

Linux Mint has been my go to Linux Distro and quite simply, is the best operating system out there for this Geek! So what are my Top 5 reasons why I only use Linux Mint versus other Linux distributions or even Microsoft Windows or Apple's Mac?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

enigma3 (6th September 2018), toppy (5th September 2018)

11. Link to Post #26
    Thanks

Quote Posted by greybeard (here)
    TOP 5 Reasons Why I ONLY Use Linux Mint (Best Linux Distro Ever?) Geekoutdoors.com EP698

Linux Mint has been my go to Linux Distro and quite simply, is the best operating system out there for this Geek! So what are my Top 5 reasons why I only use Linux Mint versus other Linux distributions or even Microsoft Windows or Apple's Mac?
    For everyday use (email, internet mostly) I use Linux. For digital audio workstation, I use Mac. For my employment, I use Windows.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

greybeard (5th September 2018), toppy (5th September 2018)

13. Link to Post #27
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,063 times in 8,172 posts

Most of the people I hear singing the praise of Linux don't seem to do much more than browse the internet and manage a few files their gadgets produce. If my needs were so simple I'd be a linux convert in a heartbeat.

I've installed a couple of distros in the past and found them to be quite likable to use but I soon abandon linux when I need to get on with something serious because even if there are linux apps that sort of cover the same territory I work in, the steep learning curve would cripple my productivity and drive me nuts.

If I could do it all over again, I'd have gone straight from MS DOS 6.22 to Unix/Linux and invested my whole 25 year journey time in that open source world and, hopefully, have a decent linux software landscape I was up to speed and productive with.
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

greybeard (6th September 2018), ThePythonicCow (5th September 2018)

15. Link to Post #28
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by norman (here)
    Most of the people I hear singing the praise of Linux don't seem to do much more than browse the internet and manage a few files their gadgets produce. If my needs were so simple I'd be a linux convert in a heartbeat.

I've installed a couple of distros in the past and found them to be quite likable to use but I soon abandon linux when I need to get on with something serious because even if there are linux apps that sort of cover the same territory I work in, the steep learning curve would cripple my productivity and drive me nuts.

If I could do it all over again, I'd have gone straight from MS DOS 6.22 to Unix/Linux and invested my whole 25 year journey time in that open source world and, hopefully, have a decent linux software landscape I was up to speed and productive with.
    What ever woks for you norman.
    Have you had a look at Pauls post here?
    Chris
    https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...=1#post1245901

16. The Following User Says Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

ThePythonicCow (5th September 2018)

17. Link to Post #29
    Netherlands Avalon Member ExomatrixTV's Avatar
    Language
    English, Dutch, German, Limburgs
    Thanks
    Thanked 125,710 times in 20,824 posts

I use it next to windows and installing went perfect ... but somehow Linux Mint fused the dependencies of 2 Hard Drives during booting ... I made a shadow copy of 1 of the 2 from SATA Drives to Super Fast SSD Drive (Same Size) Both 500Gb ... now I can NOT boot anymore ... So I had to use the old 500Gb SATA-Hard Drive Again :/ ... Not Sure why I can not replace 1 in to SSD HD Drive With Same Size!

But Linux Mint is by FAR the Best FREE Linux Out There!
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

ThePythonicCow (6th September 2018)

19. Link to Post #30
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by ExomatrixTV (here)
    I use it next to windows and installing went perfect ... but somehow Linux Mint fused the dependencies of 2 Hard Drives during booting ... I made a shadow copy of 1 of the 2 from SATA Drives to Super Fast SSD Drive (Same Size) Both 500Gb ... now I can NOT boot anymore ... So I had to use the old 500Gb SATA-Hard Drive Again :/ ... Not Sure why I can not replace 1 in to SSD HD Drive With Same Size!

But Linux Mint is by FAR the Best FREE Linux Out There!

Im not an expert so I havent clue why What happened perhaps Paul would have an answer or the Linux community
    help with his
    I have never had a challenge with the Linux OS.

Chris
    Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 6th September 2018 at 07:42.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

21. Link to Post #31
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I dont know why that post went coloured.
    At least its not mint coloured
    Not intentional.
    Half asleep--smiling.

Chris

22. The Following User Says Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

23. Link to Post #32
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,435 times in 21,490 posts

Quote Posted by ExomatrixTV (here)
    I use it next to windows and installing went perfect ... but somehow Linux Mint fused the dependencies of 2 Hard Drives during booting
    Dual booting installations can get tricky, as the second installer might not decide to do with your disks what you expected.

I usually avoid them, or at least I physically remove the disk with the first installation, before even starting the second installation.

It has taken me hours, hands on, to debug such problems. The last time I did that was probably 10 or 20 years ago, and I've long forgotten the details ... which is just as well, as the details have no doubt changed anyway.

Usually I just use different PC's for different OS's ... which is easy for me, as I have several PC's laying around somewhere here. One of my hobbies ... building PC's, whether I need them or not.

Im not an expert so I havent clue why What happened perhaps Paul would have an answer
    Sorry ... no useful answer.

I dont know why that post went coloured.
    Color removed - you had managed to mark your comment as PHP code .
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (7th September 2018), greybeard (6th September 2018)

25. Link to Post #33
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Recovery boot drive
    If you type this into the bottom left panel on windows 10 it will make a full recovery USB drive --you need 16GB of space on the USB stick or drive.
    Its sensible to do this before making a major change like a dual install.
    However most times it goes just fine.

One another thing I like about Linux is that its maintenance free.
    It does not get slower over time--no de-frag necessary--it has a firewall but tends not to attract mischief makers.

Chris

26. Link to Post #34
    Thanks

Best way to install dual boot with linux is to physically remove any other hdds other than your C drive with windows on it. Linux will ask you if you want to keep windows and do a dual boot. After you're successfully dual booting, you can put your other hdds back in

27. The Following User Says Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

greybeard (6th September 2018)

28. Link to Post #35
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by TomKat (here)
    Best way to install dual boot with linux is to physically remove any other hdds other than your C drive with windows on it. Linux will ask you if you want to keep windows and do a dual boot. After you're successfully dual booting, you can put your other hdds back in
    That really makes sense Tom Kat.
    If you only have C drive then there is no problem and thats true for most.
    Its only if you have more than one drive in the PC there might be a challenge.

Thanks Chris

29. Link to Post #36
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 times in 404 posts

I am a classic computer clutz. I want point and click, not typing some command to use it. I am used to Windows but want to go to Mint. I want a book, not a video, to instruct me. How do I configure favorites/bookmarks? How do I manage pictures and files? Can I use Avast to clean my Mint computer? Does TOR run smoothly? I only do basic things. The book has to tell me those things. Please, you computer knowledgeable Avalonians, recommend a book that will make the migration easy. I should add - I tried this about a year ago and did not find ANY book that was helpful.

One basic thingy going on with me is that I want to remain anonymous, even down to my user name. I am aware that DARPA knows how to access a computer even if it is turned off. You may have a computer in your home that is not plugged into the internet but plugged into your home electrical grid. They can access that computer using another computer in your home that IS attached to the internet. And both computers may be turned off. Anyways, I would be concerned that if I were running Windows and Linux Mint on the same computer I could be tracked based on the Windows program. So I will only migrate to Mint on a new computer devoid of Windows. Therefore, said migration must be easy enough for a computer beginner like me to follow using a book. Then I will set the computer up like Bill Ryan does. Linux Mint using a VPN and TOR to surf the internet. I go all over the place. That would be about as anonymous as a person could get.

30. Link to Post #37
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by enigma3 (here)
    I am a classic computer clutz. I want point and click, not typing some command to use it. I am used to Windows but want to go to Mint. I want a book, not a video, to instruct me. How do I configure favorites/bookmarks? How do I manage pictures and files? Can I use Avast to clean my Mint computer? Does TOR run smoothly? I only do basic things. The book has to tell me those things. Please, you computer knowledgeable Avalonians, recommend a book that will make the migration easy. I should add - I tried this about a year ago and did not find ANY book that was helpful.

One basic thingy going on with me is that I want to remain anonymous, even down to my user name. I am aware that DARPA knows how to access a computer even if it is turned off. You may have a computer in your home that is not plugged into the internet but plugged into your home electrical grid. They can access that computer using another computer in your home that IS attached to the internet. And both computers may be turned off. Anyways, I would be concerned that if I were running Windows and Linux Mint on the same computer I could be tracked based on the Windows program. So I will only migrate to Mint on a new computer devoid of Windows. Therefore, said migration must be easy enough for a computer beginner like me to follow using a book. Then I will set the computer up like Bill Ryan does. Linux Mint using a VPN and TOR to surf the internet. I go all over the place. That would be about as anonymous as a person could get.
    Hi enigma3
    I dont think you will find a book because it is so easy.
    The system is self cleaning --no additional software required.
    When it is set up there is a Home folder on the desktop--click that and you have access to folders for documents, pictures, downloads., music, videos and desktop.
    Its all drag and drop --no need to type anything--experts do but not necessary for me and many others.
    There is a menu at the bottom for installed software --that really has all you need installed already.
    If you can cope with Windows you will find Mint so easy..
    No complex questions to get started--one pass word and that's it.

As said im no expert--others may have better advice, but really its simple.

Chris

31. The Following User Says Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

enigma3 (8th September 2018)

32. Link to Post #38
    Language
    German
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,206 times in 437 posts

I got myself recently a new PC which is smaller and faster than my old one. (I like small and fast computers).
    It came with Windoze
    But as I am an old-timer Linux enthusiast I set it up with CentOS 7 (my favored choice) with a simple and clean look.
    Linux is often not plug-and-play - well at least not my distro - especially when it comes setting up a DVB-C stick (a TV USB stick) but I like the challenge and always find a solution. For me it's like a play ground for grown-ups.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-09-06 22-57-33.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	500.9 KB
ID:	39024  
    "The greatest good you can do for another is not just share your riches, but to reveal to him his own."
    -- Benjamin Disraeli

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Michi For This Post:

greybeard (6th September 2018), Inaiá (23rd September 2018), ThePythonicCow (7th September 2018)

34. Link to Post #39
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,063 times in 8,172 posts

Quote Posted by devplan (here)

(I like small and fast computers)

I generally like big and expandable, so I can fit high quality components into them, like a soundcard with a high quality DAC. USB audio interfaces can be good but I tend to have problems integrating them into the windows mixer to get full duplex functionality. It's partly to do with the age/generation of software app I use and partly because until a rework in Win 10 the windows mixer hadn't been updated since before there was such a thing a USB audio interface. But of course, Win 10 is a horribly stupid OS, so that defeats the whole point, for me.
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

35. The Following User Says Thank You to norman For This Post:

greybeard (7th September 2018)

36. Link to Post #40
    Language
    English
    Thanks

One of the things I like about Avalon is the sharing of experience on a multitude of subjects.
    Thanks to all who posted.

Chris

37. The Following User Says Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

enigma3 (8th September 2018)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 12 LastLast