1. Link to Post #161
    Netherlands Avalon Member ExomatrixTV's Avatar
    Language
    English, Dutch, German, Limburgs
    Thanks
    Thanked 125,714 times in 20,824 posts

Default Re: Linux: an alternative to Windows 10

Linux Mint 20 “Ulyana” Xfce released!

Linux Mint 20 is a long term support release which will be supported until 2025. It comes with updated software and brings refinements and many new features to make your desktop experience more comfortable.

Linux Mint 20 "Ulyana" Xfce Edition
    Warpinator

The star of the show in Linux Mint 20 is a new application called Warpinator.
    10 years ago, Linux Mint 6 featured a tool called "Giver" which could share files across the local network. Without any server or configuration, computers would automatically see each others and you could simply drag and drop files from one to another. When the Giver project was discontinued it had to be removed from Linux Mint and we’ve been missing that functionality ever since.
    Warpinator is a reimplementation of Giver. Server configuration (FTP, NFS, Samba) is overkill for casual file transfers between two computers, and it’s a real pity to use external media (Internet services, USB sticks, external HDDs) just to share files when there’s a local network which could do just that.
    With Warpinator, Linux Mint 20 brings back easy file sharing across the local network.
    The main window shows you the computers on the local network which are also running Warpinator:

See the other computers on the network
    By clicking on a computer you can see more information about it and exchange files with it:

Send and receive files
    No more USB sticks or external drive are needed just to send a file.
    NVIDIA Optimus

Linux Mint 20 features improved support for NVIDIA Optimus.
    The NVIDIA Prime applet now shows your GPU renderer and you can select which card to switch to straight from its menu.

The NVIDIA Prime applet
    The NVIDIA "On-Demand" profile is also now supported. When you run in that mode, it is your Intel card which renders the session. From the command-line, two new commands are available to offload to GLX or to Vulkan:
    • nvidia-optimus-offload-glx
    • nvidia-optimus-offload-vulkan
    To boost compatibility and make it easier to boot Linux Mint 20 in live mode without NVIDIA drivers, "nomodeset" was also added to the "Compatibility Mode".
    Tray

XAppStatusIcon received the ability to handle mouse wheel scrolling events and a new function similar to gtk_menu_popup() which makes it even easier than before to port applications from GtkStatusIcon.
    In all editions (Cinnamon, MATE and Xfce) many of the tray icons were harmonized, given symbolic icons and HiDPI support.

Better looking system tray
    Blueberry, mintupdate, mintreport, nm-applet, mate-power-manager, mate-media, redshift, rhythmbox all use XAppStatusIcon and give the tray a consistent look in Mint 20.
    XApps improvements

Xed received the ability to join lines together and to remove trailing whitelines before saving files.
    Xviewer received fullscreen and diaporama toolbar buttons and remembers if its window was maximized.
    In Xreader a print button was added to the toolbar.
    To guarantee better support for modern Electron apps and indicators XappStatusIcon received mouse wheel support and SNI (StatusNotifier, libIndicator) support.
    Other improvements

Gdebi, the tool used to open and install .deb files was given a new user interface.

Gdebi
    The login screen (Slick Greeter) supports stretching backgrounds across multiple monitors.
    System improvements

Apturl switched backend from Synaptic to Aptdaemon.
    APT recommends are enabled by default for newly installed packages (not for upgrades).
    Snapd is disabled by default and APT packages are not allowed to install it.
    Live sessions running under Virtualbox automatically get their resolution bumped to a minimum of 1024x768.
    This release ships with linux-firmware 1.187 and the Linux kernel 5.4.
    Artwork improvements

The Mint-Y theme provides a nice variety of colors. A community project was started on Github to gather feedback and fine-tune these colors to find the right balance between colorful vibrant hues and contrast levels which don't take the user's focus away from the content being shown on the screen.

A vibrant version of Mint-Y-Aqua
    Yellow folders are also available.

Yellow folders
    As you enter the Linux Mint 20 desktop for the first time, the welcome screen will bring these colors to your attention and ask you which one you enjoy the most:

An overview of the new backgrounds
    Main components

Linux Mint 20 features Xfce 4.14, a Linux kernel 5.4 and an Ubuntu 20.04 package base.
    LTS strategy

Linux Mint 20 will receive security updates until 2025.
    Until 2022, future versions of Linux Mint will use the same package base as Linux Mint 20, making it trivial for people to upgrade.
    Until 2022, the development team won't start working on a new base and will be fully focused on this one.

Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 27th June 2020 at 16:19.
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Frank V (27th June 2020), greybeard (27th June 2020), onevoice (15th January 2021), palehorse (27th June 2020)

3. Link to Post #162
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,413 times in 1,572 posts

Quote Posted by Frank V (here)
    Quote Posted by palehorse (here)
    For the last 2 years or so I am using Manjaro Linux with i3 as a desktop environment, I am happy with Manjaro just to say, before Manjaro it was using Gentoo, Arch, Fedora, and Debian.
    Fellow Manjaroo here, with the KDE Plasma desktop environment.

I'm also a very active TL3 at the Manjaro forum, under my original screen name, Aragorn. If you happen to drop in there and you come across the avatar below, that'll be me.

Hi, that's cool, I remember using the forum once looking how to roll back an upgrade that went very wrong (it was my bad), good info I remember, was able to fix the problem.

My last uptime with Manjaro was about 8 months, I reboot it 18 days 7 hours 55 mins ago.

I am really happy with this distro, rock solid for work, it uses little memory, about 0.3gib for the OS alone, code editor, browser and a few other tiny programs it will use no more than 2gib, the same use behavior with Fedora/Gnome would top almost 4gib of my ram.

Your Tux with that pipe is amazing!
    --
    A chaos to the sense, a Kosmos to the reason.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Frank V (27th June 2020), gord (30th June 2020)

5. Link to Post #163
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by TomKat (here)
    Mint lacked stability. I settled on Debian Cinnamon several years ago. I like Fedora Cinnamon but, like Arch, is too much its own universe, fewer apps. Love the stability of Debian with the ability install anything that runs on Ubuntu or Mint. Also, I have no problem running a clover triple boot (macOS, win10, Debian) with Debian, but couldn't do it with Fedora, which wanted the whole hard drive for itself.
    Fedora is greed in many senses. I prefer Centos over Fedora, what I like about Fedora is the easy way to setup LUKS, they have a nice interface, unlikely with Debian 6, I wasted a few nights trying to do it properly, and I end up using Fedora. ;(
    --

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Frank V (27th June 2020), gord (30th June 2020)

7. Link to Post #164
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,860 times in 11,838 posts

You guys are getting expert needs met.
    What turns me on with Linux Mint is its sheer simplicity.
    I never have to "fidle" with it.
    I turn it on I have shut off the need fo pass word. --I do the simple-- surf the net -- check the weather, post on Avalon, do @, print up chords for songs-- write a few letters -- do the banking ---turn it off> Thats it. Lol
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Frank V (27th June 2020), gord (30th June 2020), palehorse (28th June 2020)

9. Link to Post #165
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Installing Chromium on Linux Mint'

I would not bother with Chromium.
    Firefox-- fine.
    Chris

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Frank V (27th June 2020), palehorse (28th June 2020)

11. Link to Post #166
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,249 times in 1,238 posts

For the last 2 years or so I am using Manjaro Linux with i3 as a desktop environment, I am happy with Manjaro just to say, before Manjaro it was using Gentoo, Arch, Fedora, and Debian.
    Fellow Manjaroo here, with the KDE Plasma desktop environment.

I'm also a very active TL3 at the Manjaro forum, under my original screen name, Aragorn. If you happen to drop in there and you come across the avatar below, that'll be me.

Hi, that's cool, I remember using the forum once looking how to roll back an upgrade that went very wrong (it was my bad), good info I remember, was able to fix the problem.
    TimeShift is an indispensable utility to have. I believe it now comes as part of the Manjaro ISO by default.

My last uptime with Manjaro was about 8 months, I reboot it 18 days 7 hours 55 mins ago.
    Well, that's not very healthy, considering that Manjaro is a rolling-release distribution. It is recommended to update your system as often as needed.

There will on average be one to three major updates per month ─ updates are bundled together and have gone through testing first ─ about which there will also always be a dedicated announcement thread, plus that you've got an update notifier icon in your system tray, regardless of what desktop environment you're using.

Next to that, you may have packages from the AUR ("Arch User Repository") installed, and they have their own (and possibly chaotic) update schedule. I usually check for updates to the installed AUR packages every time I update the system from the main Manjaro repository. It's easy to do from the command line if you have an AUR helper like yay installed.

The command...

Code:
    yay -Syyu --devel
    ... will first run pacman to bring in the regular updates ─ no need for sudo because it will ask you for a password in due time ─ and then it'll check the AUR for updated packages, including any -git packages you've installed.

I am really happy with this distro, rock solid for work, it uses little memory, about 0.3gib for the OS alone, code editor, browser and a few other tiny programs it will use no more than 2gib, the same use behavior with Fedora/Gnome would top almost 4gib of my ram.
    Well, the Manjaro kernel is specific to Manjaro, but for most part, it builds upon the Arch underpinnings regarding configuration. This makes both Arch and Manjaro very lean and very fast.

Of course, with a fully-blown (and heavily customized) KDE Plasma running here, including the many applications I keep running all the time ─ KMail, KVIrc, JuK, Dolphin, Discord, Yakuake, Claws Mail (for Usenet only), KSysGuard (with a custom monitor tab) and at least one Konsole window ─ my memory consumption is a bit higher than yours.

This is what my desktop looks like...

The system starts with an empty session, with only Yakuake started automatically. At that point, I'm using about 800 MiB of RAM. However, once I've started everything I want to have constantly running, then I quickly get to about 1.5 GiB of RAM in use for applications and application data, but any modern web browser will easily drive that up to about 2.3 GiB after a few days. Firefox and Chromium are both notorious memory hogs.

That avatar was created from my regular avatar by one of the Manjaro forum's resident graphics artists ─ an older and very kind German gentleman who goes by the name SGS over there. He took my original avatar ─ i.e. the same one as I'm using here at Project Avalon and at all other forums I'm on ─ and he created that Tux out of it. He's very talented.

He does it for fun ─ primarily with Inkscape, I believe ─ and he does it for just about every active forum member. He then posts it on a thread about his artwork with a mention ─ an "@" in front of your name will make sure that you get a notification when you log on ─ and then you are free to use his avatars or not. He also does wallpapers and funny badges that you can use in your posts.

Last edited by Frank V; 27th June 2020 at 18:40.

12. Link to Post #167
    Language
    Thanks

Exclamation Re: Linux: an alternative to Windows 10

Linux Mint 20: A Distro That Listens!

Linux Mint 20 First Look: Fresh Cinnamon Looking Good
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 27th June 2020 at 23:40.
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Frank V (28th June 2020), gord (30th June 2020), greybeard (28th June 2020), palehorse (28th June 2020)

14. Link to Post #168
    Language
    English
    Thanks

TimeShift is an indispensable utility to have. I believe it now comes as part of the Manjaro ISO by default.

Well, that's not very healthy, considering that Manjaro is a rolling-release distribution. It is recommended to update your system as often as needed.

There will on average be one to three major updates per month ─ updates are bundled together and have gone through testing first ─ about which there will also always be a dedicated announcement thread, plus that you've got an update notifier icon in your system tray, regardless of what desktop environment you're using.

Next to that, you may have packages from the AUR ("Arch User Repository") installed, and they have their own (and possibly chaotic) update schedule. I usually check for updates to the installed AUR packages every time I update the system from the main Manjaro repository. It's easy to do from the command line if you have an AUR helper like yay installed.

The command...

Code:
    yay -Syyu --devel
    ... will first run pacman to bring in the regular updates ─ no need for sudo because it will ask you for a password in due time ─ and then it'll check the AUR for updated packages, including any -git packages you've installed.

Well, the Manjaro kernel is specific to Manjaro, but for most part, it builds upon the Arch underpinnings regarding configuration. This makes both Arch and Manjaro very lean and very fast.

Of course, with a fully-blown (and heavily customized) KDE Plasma running here, including the many applications I keep running all the time ─ KMail, KVIrc, JuK, Dolphin, Discord, Yakuake, Claws Mail (for Usenet only), KSysGuard (with a custom monitor tab) and at least one Konsole window ─ my memory consumption is a bit higher than yours.

This is what my desktop looks like...

The system starts with an empty session, with only Yakuake started automatically. At that point, I'm using about 800 MiB of RAM. However, once I've started everything I want to have constantly running, then I quickly get to about 1.5 GiB of RAM in use for applications and application data, but any modern web browser will easily drive that up to about 2.3 GiB after a few days. Firefox and Chromium are both notorious memory hogs.

That avatar was created from my regular avatar by one of the Manjaro forum's resident graphics artists ─ an older and very kind German gentleman who goes by the name SGS over there. He took my original avatar ─ i.e. the same one as I'm using here at Project Avalon and at all other forums I'm on ─ and he created that Tux out of it. He's very talented.

He does it for fun ─ primarily with Inkscape, I believe ─ and he does it for just about every active forum member. He then posts it on a thread about his artwork with a mention ─ an "@" in front of your name will make sure that you get a notification when you log on ─ and then you are free to use his avatars or not. He also does wallpapers and funny badges that you can use in your posts.

I didn't know about TimeShift sure I will take a look, my backups always being made via Cron to an external media and also manually.
    I think I expressed myself wrongly when I said my uptime was 8 months, I really meant Manjaro was up and running for 8 months without any interruptions, always up to date, so far so good! all working ;D
    As I have all my stuffs open to work I only update when I close it all to avoid any issue during update, I do not know if Manjaro allow the user to keep using the system when updating (I never tried), in other Linux I usually I close it all, then upgrade and shutdown for a few seconds, then bring it up again (old habits die hard ;D). With Manjaro I do not reboot or shutdown the OS, but I still close all applications when updating.

I do have a few AUR packages installed and I always skip their updates, because I normally use pacman only. Thanks for trick with `yay`.

Manjaro is more user friendly (I mean from installation, administration and daily use) than Arch or Gentoo and I need to rely on the OS to do my work (I can't reboot my system 3x or more per day like windows..), also it need to be light on resources, Manjaro fits very well. I found out that I was spending too much time fixing things in Arch and Gentoo years ago, I do like to learn more and more about OS, but my work do not allow me that for now (weekends only ;( )
    But I know Linux has become more user friendly, lots of new distributions, and lots of new users coming.

Interesting you are using Claws Mail for usenet, I am using Pan nowadays since it comes installed by default with Manjaro if I am not wrong. Also used many others like Thunderbird and Argo (call me old, this one is already dead since 1997, but it was around until about 2005), also used Mutt with a plugin, but I spent more time learning how to use the dam thing than downloading content. ;D
    I keep 4 shells always open, I am using Terminator to split it horizontally and vertically in a grid, since I am using 2 monitors, I was having a hard time doing it i3. Also using DeaDBeeF for music; MPV for videos; conky to monitor a few things like CPU and RAM/swap; PCManFM for file manager; for browsing I am using Brave, Waterfox and Pale Moon and I have Chromium installed but no use for it. Firefox I walked away when they change to the quantum edition, all plugins stop working and that was terrible that time.

Here is my desktop, I like to keep it at minimum, before i3 I was using awesome, and before that Gnome, but all 3 are kind of different from each other, awesome and i3 are more related due to tiling window manager but still different. I had to learn all the shortcuts again ;D

As you can see in the tiny `i` icon I got updates available (945), probably today will run it.

Your memory usage is not that much, seems good, I like to keep it under 60% usage but sometimes it is just impossible.

About the Avatar, it is very creative and skilled to do that, very nice I like it, I will try to be around in the Manjaro Forum more often.

Cheers Frank!!
    --

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Frank V (28th June 2020), gord (30th June 2020)

16. Link to Post #169
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

I didn't know about TimeShift sure I will take a look, my backups always being made via Cron to an external media and also manually.
    TimeShift can be used both from the command line and by way of a GUI. It can be run manually or via cronie, and it can use either rsync or btrfs snapshots.

I think I expressed myself wrongly when I said my uptime was 8 months, I really meant Manjaro was up and running for 8 months without any interruptions, always up to date, so far so good! all working ;D
    As I have all my stuffs open to work I only update when I close it all to avoid any issue during update, I do not know if Manjaro allow the user to keep using the system when updating (I never tried), in other Linux I usually I close it all, then upgrade and shutdown for a few seconds, then bring it up again (old habits die hard ;D). With Manjaro I do not reboot or shutdown the OS, but I still close all applications when updating.
    It is always best to shut down all running applications when applying updates, and I myself always completely log out of my graphical session, and I do the updates from a character-mode virtual console. That way, just about everything has been shut down, and you don't run into any trouble with libraries that are being overwritten while in use.

You do however have to reboot after every major update, because in Manjaro, every major update also replaces the kernel and the kernel modules. So you do have to reboot in order to load the new kernel and the new modules.

I do have a few AUR packages installed and I always skip their updates, because I normally use pacman only. Thanks for trick with `yay`.
    Keeping your AUR packages updated is just as important as keeping the rest of the system updated. You don't have to check for updates to them every day ─ as a genuine Arch or Gentoo user would ─ but it still deserves recommendation to check for updates to those packages whenever you're updating the rest of the system.

Manjaro is more user friendly (I mean from installation, administration and daily use) than Arch or Gentoo and I need to rely on the OS to do my work (I can't reboot my system 3x or more per day like windows..), also it need to be light on resources, Manjaro fits very well. I found out that I was spending too much time fixing things in Arch and Gentoo years ago, I do like to learn more and more about OS, but my work do not allow me that for now (weekends only ;( )
    But I know Linux has become more user friendly, lots of new distributions, and lots of new users coming.
    I've never really been into Microsoft Windows. I've only used Windows 3.0 on MS-DOS for about six months back in 1991, pending the commercial release of IBM OS/2 2.x, which was the operating system I had already wanted to have from before I ever had a computer of my own. I then used OS/2 for over five years, and after that I ran Windows NT 4.0 Workstation for two years, even though I would actually have wanted a UNIX system. But then I discovered GNU/Linux, and ever since then, I've been exclusively running GNU/Linux on my own computers.

I've used various distributions over the now 20+ years, both on my own computers and on the servers that we were using in the IRC network I was running with a couple of friends between 2002 and roughly 2008-2009. I've also dabbled with Gentoo, in combination with the Xen hypervisor.

Interesting you are using Claws Mail for usenet, I am using Pan nowadays since it comes installed by default with Manjaro if I am not wrong. Also used many others like Thunderbird and Argo (call me old, this one is already dead since 1997, but it was around until about 2005), also used Mutt with a plugin, but I spent more time learning how to use the dam thing than downloading content. ;D
    Well, I've tried Pan ─ I had been using that when I was running PCLinuxOS, and it's a decent newsreader ─ but for some reason, it always segfaulted in Manjaro when downloading large quantities of headers. I even tried the version from the AUR, but it had the exact same problem. I then tried Thunderbird, but its functionality as a Usenet newsreader is abominable. It doesn't recognize cross-posted threads and its filtering is just horrible.

Claws Mail is definitely better than Thunderbird, but it too is not a dedicated Usenet client, and although it does work, it will also regularly segfault here, albeit not every day, which leads me to suspect that the problem might actually be related to GTKPan and Claws Mail are both based upon the GTK widget toolkit. I've never liked GTK anyway ─ I'm a Qt fan ─ but for now, Claws Mail it is.

17. Link to Post #170
    Language
    English
    Thanks

TimeShift can be used both from the command line and by way of a GUI. It can be run manually or via cronie, and it can use either rsync or btrfs snapshots.

It is always best to shut down all running applications when applying updates, and I myself always completely log out of my graphical session, and I do the updates from a character-mode virtual console. That way, just about everything has been shut down, and you don't run into any trouble with libraries that are being overwritten while in use.

You do however have to reboot after every major update, because in Manjaro, every major update also replaces the kernel and the kernel modules. So you do have to reboot in order to load the new kernel and the new modules.

Keeping your AUR packages updated is just as important as keeping the rest of the system updated. You don't have to check for updates to them every day ─ as a genuine Arch or Gentoo user would ─ but it still deserves recommendation to check for updates to those packages whenever you're updating the rest of the system.

I've never really been into Microsoft Windows. I've only used Windows 3.0 on MS-DOS for about six months back in 1991, pending the commercial release of IBM OS/2 2.x, which was the operating system I had already wanted to have from before I ever had a computer of my own. I then used OS/2 for over five years, and after that I ran Windows NT 4.0 Workstation for two years, even though I would actually have wanted a UNIX system. But then I discovered GNU/Linux, and ever since then, I've been exclusively running GNU/Linux on my own computers.

I've used various distributions over the now 20+ years, both on my own computers and on the servers that we were using in the IRC network I was running with a couple of friends between 2002 and roughly 2008-2009. I've also dabbled with Gentoo, in combination with the Xen hypervisor.

Well, I've tried Pan ─ I had been using that when I was running PCLinuxOS, and it's a decent newsreader ─ but for some reason, it always segfaulted in Manjaro when downloading large quantities of headers. I even tried the version from the AUR, but it had the exact same problem. I then tried Thunderbird, but its functionality as a Usenet newsreader is abominable. It doesn't recognize cross-posted threads and its filtering is just horrible.

Claws Mail is definitely better than Thunderbird, but it too is not a dedicated Usenet client, and although it does work, it will also regularly segfault here, albeit not every day, which leads me to suspect that the problem might actually be related to GTKPan and Claws Mail are both based upon the GTK widget toolkit. I've never liked GTK anyway ─ I'm a Qt fan ─ but for now, Claws Mail it is.

Hi, I was reading earlier about TimeShift and it really seems to be a great application, I am using snapshots with a host company for the last 6 or 7 years, but I am not sure they are using TimeShift. I am planing my major update this week and after that to install TimeShift. ;D No more manual backups, the snapshots with rsync are just perfect, all I need here, and also I am a big fun of rsync.

I copy that, we need to reboot after a Kernel upgrade, well I guess I will keep my old habits then, usually I always reboot it after system updates.

Regards AUR packages I have a file in my Desktop called `Manjaro Maintenance` in this file I have a list of tasks I perform from time to time to keep my system clean and in good shape, I just added the
    Code:
    yay -Syyu --devel
    command to the file.

My teacher used to speak about OS/2, he is a very esoteric person, he forced his students to write programs using a "language" called Brainf**k, nobody ever created anything meaningful of course.

I love IRC, I still using it for many things, also had an IRC server many years ago, I used `inspircd` that time. I never found a perfect Usenet client for Linux, but I am satisfied with what is available today, a friend used to have one dedicated machine with windows XP running a program called NewsLeecher I remember he saying one of the best Usenet client available, I do not know nowadays.

I tried to use Thunderbird because I want to keep all in one, IRC, Usenet and Email.. that was a very poor decision I made and now i am back using 3 different programs, I guess that is it..

GTK ahahah I used to write GUI using the extension for PHP language (PHP-GTK) back in 2005 and it was a completely mess, I prefer Qt it is much cleaner and understandable code.

Frank If you allow a quick question, do you know any application to autostart other applications at boot time, I am aware I could use cronie for that, I am already using it for a few programs, but I would like to find something more like drag & drop app, any idea?

Cheers!
    --

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Frank V (30th June 2020), gord (30th June 2020)

19. Link to Post #171
    Language
    English
    Thanks

MX Linux Full Review

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Frank V (30th June 2020), gord (30th June 2020), palehorse (30th June 2020)

21. Link to Post #172
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

[...]

Regards AUR packages I have a file in my Desktop called `Manjaro Maintenance` in this file I have a list of tasks I perform from time to time to keep my system clean and in good shape, I just added the
    Code:
    yay -Syyu --devel
    command to the file.
    Don't forget to install yay first. It's not installed by default, but it's in the repository. There are also other AUR helpers in there, among which trizen, which is similar.

[...]

Frank If you allow a quick question, do you know any application to autostart other applications at boot time, I am aware I could use cronie for that, I am already using it for a few programs, but I would like to find something more like drag & drop app, any idea?
    Well, the first thing we have to regard in this context is the distinction between starting something at boot time and starting something at login time.

Unprivileged processes should not be started at boot time but at login time. For the boot-time initialization of processes, you commonly use the operating system's init system, and in Manjaro, that's systemd. You then have to create a systemd service file ─ it's a plain text file, and the syntax is well-documented.

However, when it comes to user-level applications that must be started automatically, those should be started at login time. Every desktop environment has its own mechanisms for doing that, so you're going to have to look into the documentation for your own graphical environment. In KDE Plasma, it's as simple as adding it to System Settings → Startup and Shutdown → Autostart, but you're using i3 and I'm afraid that's a little more hands-on.

22. Link to Post #173
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,330 times in 2,365 posts

For "bare metal" drive image backups, my all-time favourite is Terabyte. It costs, but not very much. For data backup, I just use the copy command.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

Frank V (30th June 2020), palehorse (7th July 2020)

24. Link to Post #174
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Linux Mint 20 | Review and Final Thoughts

I recently looked at the beta versions of Linux Mint 20 across the 3 desktops that they offer. Now that the stable release is upon us it’s time for that full review. The main desktop Cinnamon is what I’ll be basing this review on though you’ll find most of the new features also apply to their XFCE and MATE versions too.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Frank V (3rd July 2020), palehorse (7th July 2020)

26. Link to Post #175
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Linux Mint 20 "Ulyana" Cinnamon Edition, Full Review

Linux Mint 20 "Ulyana" was recently released, and in this video we'll explore some of the highlights and even some of the controversial changes as well. The installation process, Warpinator, and the anti-snap changes are explored, and more.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Frank V (5th July 2020), palehorse (7th July 2020)

28. Link to Post #176
    Language
    English
    Thanks

[...]

Code:
    yay -Syyu --devel
    command to the file.
    Don't forget to install yay first. It's not installed by default, but it's in the repository. There are also other AUR helpers in there, among which trizen, which is similar.

[...]

Well, the first thing we have to regard in this context is the distinction between starting something at boot time and starting something at login time.

Unprivileged processes should not be started at boot time but at login time. For the boot-time initialization of processes, you commonly use the operating system's init system, and in Manjaro, that's systemd. You then have to create a systemd service file ─ it's a plain text file, and the syntax is well-documented.

However, when it comes to user-level applications that must be started automatically, those should be started at login time. Every desktop environment has its own mechanisms for doing that, so you're going to have to look into the documentation for your own graphical environment. In KDE Plasma, it's as simple as adding it to System Settings → Startup and Shutdown → Autostart, but you're using i3 and I'm afraid that's a little more hands-on.

Hi, I got `yay` working, cool.
    In my environment (i3) it is also the Autostart, there is folder located in `~/.config/autostart/`, I will play around with it, I got a few programs there like tox and keybase, but they still not starting at boot time, i guess will have to learn how to use it properly, it was the same when I found out `cronie` and realized that it was not the same as crontab in debian.

I will look into systemd as well, thanks.

[UPDATE]
    Installed TimeShift and already used it once, great program, no more cronies or manual backups, it will do the image which is easy to restoration.
    I am saving the backups images in a separate media just in case, cool thing is it doesn't only backup settings and system files, but also is possible to include the entire /home folder, which in my case is where I keep the majority of the data I am working with.
    Last edited by palehorse; 17th July 2020 at 04:25.
    --

29. The Following User Says Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Frank V (7th July 2020)

30. Link to Post #177
    Language
    Thanks

Exclamation Re: Linux: an alternative to Windows 10

Programmers REVOLT Against 'Social Justice Rules' in Linux:

Source: https://www.bitchute.com/video/v5VvJiNUCIA

Source

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Frank V (10th August 2020), greybeard (9th August 2020)

32. Link to Post #178
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,103 times in 806 posts

https://www.eutimes.net/2021/01/thou...et-censorship/

Thousands are Uninstalling Firefox after Developers Demand Total Internet Censorship

Quote Mozilla, developer of the Firefox internet browser, has argued that more must be done to keep Donald Trump and other “bad actors” out of cyberspace, prompting many to vow to never use the group’s services again.

In a blog post titled ‘We need more than deplatforming’, the open-source software community said that Twitter’s decision to permanently ban Trump from its platform didn’t go far enough in weeding out “hate” on the internet. While blaming Trump for the “siege and take-over” of the US Capitol on January 6, the non-profit tech group argued that “white supremacy is about more than any one personality.”

“We need solutions that don’t start after untold damage has been done. Changing these dangerous dynamics requires more than just the temporary silencing or permanent removal of bad actors from social media platforms,” Mozilla wrote.
    It's truly disturbing movement from FOSS community. Who is behind the Mozilla foundation?

I replaced Firefox with Brave browser.

Brave installation in Linux is https://brave.com/linux/#linux
    For free society!

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hughe For This Post:

Alan (11th January 2021), atman (11th January 2021)

34. Link to Post #179
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,330 times in 2,365 posts

To install Brave

Debian 9+, Ubuntu 14.04+ and Mint 17+

If you get gnutls_handshake() errors after adding the Brave repository on Debian 9, you may need to uninstall old conflicting packages.

sudo apt install apt-transport-https curl gnupg

curl -s https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3...brave-core.asc | sudo apt-key --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/brave-browser-release.gpg add -

echo "deb [arch=amd64] https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/ stable main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release.list

sudo apt update

sudo apt install brave-browser
    Last edited by TomKat; 11th January 2021 at 14:14.

35. Link to Post #180
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Linux for an Old Laptop

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 1 9 12 LastLast