+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 3 5 LastLast

Thread: Avalon visit to the Hypogeum and other ancient sites in Malta 2019

1. Link to Post #41
    Belgium Avalon Member Johan (Keyholder)'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,746 times in 531 posts

Default Proposed Avalon visit to the Hypogeum in Malta 2019

Only one spot remains available! Looks like we may have a group completely to ourselves.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Johan (Keyholder) For This Post:

angelfire (21st January 2019), Billy (2nd January 2019), Jean-Marie (14th January 2019), Tintin (2nd January 2019)

3. Link to Post #42
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,557 times in 5,028 posts

Happy new year to everyone.

2019, the year we plan our trip to Malta has come around

One of the group who are joining us contacted me a couple of weeks ago to say they have both now booked flights and accommodation. If anyone else has already booked accommodation, please let me know.

As you see above, Jean has also booked the Hypogeum, that brings us to 9 who have booked, which leaves one place left on our pre-booked tour.
    If more than one more person is interested in joining us, it is not to late to book the next tour straight after our tour. We have booked for September 25th at 13.00 hrs. The next tour would be at 14.00 hrs. If we do have to extend into the next tour, I am willing to book that tour also. I do not mind going twice on the same day.

I understand that New Year is not usually a good time for finances. But we do not want to leave it much later to book accommodation.

When I booked my visit in 2017 for my 2018 trip. I booked my first accommodation in Malta through Home Away and my second accommodation in Gozo through Trip Adviser.
    I only paid a deposit for both accommodations then paid the remaining majority two weeks before I left.
    If you book through Airbnb, you have to pay the full amount up front. If finances are low at this time it might be better to book accommodation that only requires a deposit and pay the remainder next September.

Sharing accommodation with others in the group would also help keep the cost down. The deposit would then also be shared.

Angelfire would like to share and also Jean if she can go. If anyone else is willing to share, please let us know soon.

This is just an example after a quick search. 4 bedrooms, sleeps 8 people near Valletta city for £149 per night.
    https://www.homeaway.co.uk/p1051818

More here.
    https://www.homeaway.co.uk/results/k...&adultsCount=4

Airbnb.
    https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/53704...sts=1&adults=1
    Town house in Valletta with two bedrooms for £49 per night.

A flat in Valletta, two bedrooms for £18 per night. That's a good deal.
    https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/66023...sts=2&adults=2

There is only 48% of accommodation left in Valletta city as of today. You can book accommodation not far from Valletta.

Keep us all informed of progress please.

Have a great new year
    When you express from a fearful heart in the now moment, You create a fearful future.
    When you express from a loving heart in the now moment, You create a loving future.

Have no fear, Be aware and live your lives journey from a compassionate caring nurturing heart to manifest a compassionate caring nurturing future. Billyji

Peace

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Billy For This Post:

angelfire (3rd January 2019), Debra (4th January 2019), Jean-Marie (2nd January 2019), Johan (Keyholder) (11th August 2019), Tintin (2nd January 2019)

5. Link to Post #43
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,984 times in 463 posts

Quote Posted by Billy (here)
    When I booked my visit in 2017 for my 2018 trip. I booked my first accommodation in Malta through Home Away and my second accommodation in Gozo through Trip Adviser.
    I only paid a deposit for both accommodations then paid the remaining majority two weeks before I left.
    If you book through Airbnb, you have to pay the full amount up front. If finances are low at this time it might be better to book accommodation that only requires a deposit and pay the remainder next September.
    Hi Billy

Airbnb now gives you the option of paying 50% deposit at booking and the balance a few weeks before arrival

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to leavesoftrees For This Post:

angelfire (3rd January 2019), Billy (3rd January 2019), Debra (4th January 2019), Did You See Them (3rd January 2019), Jean-Marie (3rd January 2019), Johan (Keyholder) (11th August 2019), Tintin (3rd January 2019)

7. Link to Post #44
    Scotland Avalon Member angelfire's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,270 times in 241 posts

I've just checked out the airbnb apartment in Valetta which goes up to a hefty 60 euros per night in September!

Would anyone be willing to share with me as it's a two bed. I guess we have to move pretty quickly as accommodation is fast disappearing.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to angelfire For This Post:

Billy (4th January 2019), Jean-Marie (14th January 2019), Johan (Keyholder) (11th August 2019), Tintin (5th January 2019)

9. Link to Post #45
    Thanks

Quote Posted by angelfire (here)
    I've just checked out the airbnb apartment in Valetta which goes up to a hefty 60 euros per night in September!

Would anyone be willing to share with me as it's a two bed. I guess we have to move pretty quickly as accommodation is fast disappearing.
    Bumping Angelfire's request.
    When you express from a fearful heart in the now moment, You create a fearful future.
    When you express from a loving heart in the now moment, You create a loving future.

Have no fear, Be aware and live your lives journey from a compassionate caring nurturing heart to manifest a compassionate caring nurturing future. Billyji

Peace

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Billy For This Post:

angelfire (8th January 2019), Jean-Marie (14th January 2019), Johan (Keyholder) (11th August 2019), Tintin (5th January 2019)

11. Link to Post #46
    Thanks

We now have 6 who have booked their accommodation.
    I am excited and looking forward to this trip
    Last edited by Billy; 21st June 2019 at 08:00.

Peace

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Billy For This Post:

angelfire (21st January 2019), Jean-Marie (15th January 2019), Johan (Keyholder) (15th January 2019), Tintin (15th January 2019)

13. Link to Post #47
    Thanks

There are now 8 that have booked accommodation.
    I booked 6 days on Malta and 4 on Gozo for my friend and me.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Johan (Keyholder) For This Post:

angelfire (21st January 2019), Billy (15th January 2019), Jean-Marie (15th January 2019), Tintin (15th January 2019)

15. Link to Post #48
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,288 times in 146 posts

I'll be booking mine later this week - what areas/names of places have you booked in? If you can send me a PM (unless you don't mind it being posted here) I'll try and book something within walking distance.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Libico For This Post:

Billy (15th January 2019), Jean-Marie (15th January 2019), Johan (Keyholder) (15th January 2019), Tintin (15th January 2019)

17. Link to Post #49
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Thanks Jean-Marie - looking forward to meeting everyone!

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Libico For This Post:

angelfire (21st January 2019), Billy (15th January 2019), Jean-Marie (15th January 2019), Johan (Keyholder) (11th August 2019), Tintin (16th January 2019)

19. Link to Post #50
    Thanks

I am staying in Senglea which is very close to Valletta Libico. Just a 15min ferry crossing.

Great news Keyholder, after Libico has booked his accommodation, we are all complete

I could not decide when exactly I wanted to return home. So I bought a one way flight
    Last edited by Billy; 15th January 2019 at 19:08.

Peace

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Billy For This Post:

angelfire (30th March 2019), Jean-Marie (15th January 2019), Johan (Keyholder) (15th January 2019), Tintin (16th January 2019)

21. Link to Post #51
    Thanks

I am staying in Senglea which is very close to Valletta Libico. Just a 15min ferry crossing.

Great news Keyholder, after Libico has booked his accommodation, we are all complete

I could not decide when exactly I wanted to return home. So I bought a one way flight
    I am also staying in Senglea with my friend. We thought Valetta a little built up and the proximity to the sea looked ideal. Everyone I have talked to who has been to Malta loved it.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to leavesoftrees For This Post:

angelfire (21st January 2019), Billy (16th January 2019), Jean-Marie (16th January 2019), Johan (Keyholder) (11th August 2019), Tintin (16th January 2019)

23. Link to Post #52
    UK Moderator/Librarian/Administrator Tintin's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 46,611 times in 5,415 posts

Tintin update:

Save for receiving a new (renewed) passport, all related paperwork to do with acquiring it have happened, so, fingers crossed in three weeks time I'll be in a position to book a flight (Thanks to Billy as well for some really helpful flight suggestions.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	tintin_airplane.png
Views:	98
Size:	527.5 KB
ID:	39870
    “If a man does not keep pace with [fall into line with] his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.” - Thoreau

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tintin For This Post:

angelfire (30th March 2019), Billy (6th February 2019), Jean-Marie (6th February 2019), Johan (Keyholder) (11th August 2019)

25. Link to Post #53
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Just wanted to update that I've booked a flight and accommodation - I'm only able to make it for 3 days (September 24th - September 27th) and will be staying in the Pieta neighborhood, which is a couple of kilometers from Vallletta. See you in September!

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Libico For This Post:

angelfire (30th March 2019), Billy (26th February 2019), Jean-Marie (26th February 2019), Johan (Keyholder) (11th August 2019), Tintin (26th February 2019)

27. Link to Post #54
    Thanks

Thanks for the update Libico.
    Apart from one more who still has to book a flight only We now have all 9 ready to go in September. Good news all round.

Peace

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Billy For This Post:

angelfire (7th May 2019), Tintin (30th March 2019)

29. Link to Post #55
    Thanks

Thanks for the update Libico.
    Apart from one more who still has to book a flight only We now have all 9 ready to go in September. Good news all round.
    One more mentioned above has now booked their flight. All 9 are now fully booked.
    It is just the way it turned out but I have always had great respect for the number 9.

Over the next couple of months I would like to chat more about the Hypogeum and where else we would like to visit while we are together. I do have some ideas, one is definitely to visit the temples that are above ground, one is very near to the Hypogeum so we can do them both on the same day. I understand everyone has their own pre plans and some are only going to be in Malta itself for just a few short days.

I was introduced to an interesting guy who turned out to be the head tourist guide when I was there last year. He offered to take me on a private tour but I could not afford the €200 for a full day on my own.
    I am wondering whether to contact him and see what he would charge as a group to take us to sites off the beaten path that are not visited by many tourists.
    Also I did not manage to visit museum in Valleta last time which holds some interesting artifacts. Some of the long-headed skulls found inside the Hypogeum are stored there but locked away and not viewable unless permission is granted. The head guide may be able to arrange that for us.

Let me know your thoughts and availablity with the group gathering over the next few weeks in here. The majority of us are all arriving on the same day, Sunday 22nd September. I suggest we all meet next day on Monday to for a hello and wee get together

An interesting video by Klous Dona, he mentions Malta and the long-headed Skulls from the 13min mark. Worth a listen.

Last edited by Billy; 29th March 2019 at 18:22.

Peace

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Billy For This Post:

angelfire (30th March 2019), Jean-Marie (29th March 2019), Johan (Keyholder) (30th March 2019), Tintin (30th March 2019)

31. Link to Post #56
    Thanks

I was introduced to an interesting guy who turned out to be the head tourist guide when I was there last year. He offered to take me on a private tour but I could not afford the €200 for a full day on my own.
    I am wondering whether to contact him and see what he would charge as a group to take us to sites off the beaten path that are not visited by many tourists.
    Also I did not manage to visit museum in Valleta last time which holds some interesting artifacts. Some of the long-headed skulls found inside the Hypogeum are stored there but locked away and not viewable unless permission is granted. The head guide may be able to arrange that for us.

Let me know your thoughts and availablity with the group gathering over the next few weeks in here. The majority of us are all arriving on the same day, Sunday 22nd September. I suggest we all meet next day on Monday to for a hello and wee get together
    this sounds a good lead to follow. See how much he charges for a group tour

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to leavesoftrees For This Post:

Billy (30th March 2019), Jean-Marie (30th March 2019), Johan (Keyholder) (30th March 2019), Tintin (30th March 2019)

33. Link to Post #57
    Scotland Avalon Member angelfire's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,270 times in 241 posts

Having a knowledgable guide sounds like a great idea, Billy as it would be good to see as much as possible while we are there.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to angelfire For This Post:

Billy (30th March 2019), Jean-Marie (30th March 2019), Johan (Keyholder) (30th March 2019), Tintin (30th March 2019)

35. Link to Post #58
    Thanks

We have rented a car for ten days, from Monday September 23rd on. Maybe - if someone else also rented a car for a few days - we might be able to get all nine of us in the two cars and make it easier to visit and get around?
    We would need to find out which days work best for that. Some of us also go to Gozo (the two of us as well, with the car).

A guide for a day seems like a good idea too.

When getting together on Monday, preferably in the afternoon and/or evening. We arrive just after noon. And certainly would like to join (any place will do).

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Johan (Keyholder) For This Post:

angelfire (7th May 2019), Billy (31st March 2019), Jean-Marie (5th April 2019), Tintin (31st March 2019)

37. Link to Post #59
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

With my limited time I would definitely by up for hiring a private tour guide. In all likelihood though I realize I may be the bottleneck with my limited time there so if it works out better before my arrival that's perfectly fine - in all my travels I always do things on my own and steer clear of organized tours so am perfectly fine mapping out my own itinerary.

38. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Libico For This Post:

angelfire (7th May 2019), Billy (31st March 2019), Jean-Marie (5th April 2019), Johan (Keyholder) (11th August 2019), Tintin (31st March 2019)

39. Link to Post #60
    Thanks

Today I sent an email to the head tour guide to ask what he can do for us as a group tour. I shall keep you updated when he replies.
    Also, A few weeks ago I booked the 10th place for our tour of the Hypogeum just in case a stranger booked it then did not give permission for testing the acustics.
    Now we definitely have the tour all to ourselves.

Peace

40. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Billy For This Post:

angelfire (7th May 2019), Constance (30th April 2019), Jean-Marie (28th April 2019), Johan (Keyholder) (11th August 2019), leavesoftrees (1st May 2019), Tintin (28th April 2019), Valerie Villars (28th April 2019)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 3 5 LastLast