+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 3

Thread: Joe Rogan with Alex Honnold: the greatest athletic achievement of all time

1. Link to Post #41
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,531 times in 811 posts

Default Re: Joe Rogan with Alex Honnold: the greatest athletic achievement of all time

Quote Posted by sunwings (here)
    Just found a great documentary showing a free solo slackliner. Starting at 19.30 mins you can see a world record attempt that he had twice failed before.
    oh. my. god. .... that is also unreal

The things that people do for 'fun'!
    I couldn't even go near the edge .... have that 'call of the void' thing .... just want to jump off to see what it is like

This below may not be in the right thread (please move or delete if not) but I have always loved motorbikes (even though I am not very good on them and crash often lol)

GUY MARTIN VS MICHAEL DUNLOP ISLE OF MAN TT RACES 2014

Quote This is one lap (17 and a half mins), 37 miles at an AVERAGE of 130+ mph, and no it has not been sped up ....
    Follow Guy Martin and his Tyco Suzuki Superbike weapon for a mad dash around the famous Isle of Man TT course in 2014, as he chased BMW mounted Michael Dunlop!

Source: https://www.bitchute.com/video/RAaUmrBLOprT

This below is a documentary about the TT (1 hour 40 mins)

CLOSER TO THE EDGE

Quote Closer to the Edge is a British documentary film by first time director Richard de Aragues. The film is narrated by Jared Leto and charts the Isle of Man TT motorcycle race that takes place on the Isle of Man every year. It follows the leading riders in the 2010 race, most notably Guy Martin and Ian Hutchinson.

Source: https://www.bitchute.com/video/hvIdLQIpW8e1
    Last edited by lake; 18th July 2022 at 14:55.
    Normal..!

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lake For This Post:

Bill Ryan (18th July 2022), Inversion (21st December 2022), pounamuknight (6th March 2024), Reinhard (21st September 2023), sunwings (30th July 2022)

3. Link to Post #42
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,519 times in 32,788 posts

Default Re: Joe Rogan with Alex Honnold: the greatest athletic achievement of all time

Bumping this thread with a new Alex Honnold solo video, just released. This time, it's only 9 minutes long, pieced together from 2011 archive footage together with interview clips of Peter Mortimer, the photographer who was there with him.

Anyone who enjoyed Free Solo will definitely appreciate this. It's a Yosemite climb called The Phoenix, quite short (just 130 ft) but super-scary and crazy-hard.

Death would be an absolute certainty if an unroped solo climber were to slip and fall. At one point, the camera begins to shake because Mortimer just can't handle zooming in too close to where Honnold's fingers are visibly holding on to almost nothing.

I didn't even know Honnold had done this. (OMG.) Back when I was a very active rock climber, The Phoenix had a fearsome reputation, one of the hardest climbs on the planet with the world's very best taking days trying to climb it (with ropes!), falling off repeatedly and often totally failing.

The idea of soloing it (then) would have been literally unthinkable, a sure suicide mission no matter how good you thought you were. So for me, watching this was really quite something.

Last edited by Bill Ryan; 19th December 2022 at 20:16.

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

JackMcThorn (19th December 2022), jc71 (20th December 2022), Johnnycomelately (21st December 2022), kudzy (19th December 2022), Matthew (19th December 2022), pounamuknight (6th March 2024), sunwings (19th December 2022), T Smith (6th March 2024), Tracie (Bodhicee) (20th December 2022), Violet3 (20th December 2022), Yoda (20th December 2022)

5. Link to Post #43
    Thanks
    Thanked 30,977 times in 5,003 posts

Quote Posted by lake (here)
    Quote This is one lap (17 and a half mins), 37 miles at an AVERAGE of 130+ mph, and no it has not been sped up ....
    Follow Guy Martin and his Tyco Suzuki Superbike weapon for a mad dash around the famous Isle of Man TT course in 2014, as he chased BMW mounted Michael Dunlop!

I know this is off topic (namely the climber), but let me tell you what is wrong with this video. I have driven the same ordinary road hundreds of times and have got into the habit of passing at the legal top speed, concentrating at all times on the road ahead. I have also been a passenger on a number of occasions, enjoying the view out of the side window. It is totally fascinating how much there is to see just outside of the peripheral vision of a driver completely focussed on what lies ahead. Nothing special of course: just people living their lives. But the faster you go the less you see. So the problem with this video is that it shows not what the driver experiences, but what his passenger suffers in coming to the conclusion that they are driving too fast.

Just how much of what goes on in the world is due to this spectator bias is completely underestimated. The spectator is someone extraordinary who can run 100m in under ten seconds, a marathon in under two hours, can climb Everest without oxygen, the list goes on. I can do none of these things, but as a member of the human race, I belong to a team that does them all.

What does this mean in terms of the man who mastered the ultimate cliff face? It suggests that he succeeded by coming closer to it than anyone had ever done before – or maybe it was the other way round. So, in a sense, we can take the man out of the equation and confront the cliff face itself: it is almost unclimbable; but the next step is to see oneself as its equivalent: how many people in the world are capable of surviving ME? Perhaps not many at this stage. In that case, ‘I’ may see ‘me’ as the unscalable mountain, and make efforts to be more approachable. Some day, this cliff face will be a Sunday afternoon outing for all the family.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to araucaria For This Post:

Bill Ryan (20th December 2022), ExomatrixTV (21st September 2023), Johnnycomelately (24th December 2022), lake (26th February 2023), Miller (5th March 2024), pounamuknight (6th March 2024)

7. Link to Post #44
    Netherlands Avalon Member ExomatrixTV's Avatar
    Language
    English, Dutch, German, Limburgs
    Thanks
    Thanked 125,640 times in 20,812 posts

Exclamation Re: Joe Rogan with Alex Honnold: the greatest athletic achievement of all time

Quote Posted by araucaria (here)
    Quote Posted by lake (here)

I know this is off topic (namely the climber), but let me tell you what is wrong with this video. I have driven the same ordinary road hundreds of times and have got into the habit of passing at the legal top speed, concentrating at all times on the road ahead. I have also been a passenger on a number of occasions, enjoying the view out of the side window. It is totally fascinating how much there is to see just outside of the peripheral vision of a driver completely focussed on what lies ahead. Nothing special of course: just people living their lives. But the faster you go the less you see. So the problem with this video is that it shows not what the driver experiences, but what his passenger suffers in coming to the conclusion that they are driving too fast.

Just how much of what goes on in the world is due to this spectator bias is completely underestimated. The spectator is someone extraordinary who can run 100m in under ten seconds, a marathon in under two hours, can climb Everest without oxygen, the list goes on. I can do none of these things, but as a member of the human race, I belong to a team that does them all.

What does this mean in terms of the man who mastered the ultimate cliff face? It suggests that he succeeded by coming closer to it than anyone had ever done before – or maybe it was the other way round. So, in a sense, we can take the man out of the equation and confront the cliff face itself: it is almost unclimbable; but the next step is to see oneself as its equivalent: how many people in the world are capable of surviving ME? Perhaps not many at this stage. In that case, ‘I’ may see ‘me’ as the unscalable mountain, and make efforts to be more approachable. Some day, this cliff face will be a Sunday afternoon outing for all the family.
    My assessment of that video is: when you hit a tree with a speed like that >>> you most likely be dead ... same for hitting stonewall or stone fence ... there only have to be one small animal like a cat, a dog, a rabbit, a squirrel, a chicken, a sheep, a goat etc. etc. or a kid or older (maybe mentally disturbed) person walking on the road, and you try to avoid hitting that ... "where should you go?" ... breaking most likely won't help because you would slide directly towards the obstacle in front of you if you have 1 or 2 seconds to decide!

cheers,
    John 🦜🦋🌳

Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 21st September 2023 at 20:31.
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st September 2023), Miller (5th March 2024), pounamuknight (6th March 2024)

9. Link to Post #45
    Language
    Thanks

• Alex Honnold: ‘My New Film Is Almost Too Much For Some People’

Alex Honnold soloing Desert Gold at sunrise in Nevada.

Rock climbing without ropes or harnesses?! Welcome to the world of free soloing! 2-part VR documentary following Alex Honnold, the world’s greatest rock climbing soloist, on a soloing journey across the U.S. and Europe. Immerse yourself in Alex’s gripping adventures as he tackles some of the highest peaks in the European Alps, pushing the boundaries of climbing and human achievement.

Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 22nd September 2023 at 21:41.
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st September 2023), JackMcThorn (22nd September 2023), Miller (5th March 2024), pounamuknight (6th March 2024), Yoda (21st September 2023)

11. Link to Post #46
    Language
    Thanks

• Arctic Ascent with Alex Honnold | Official Trailer | National Geographic:

• An Unforgettable Greenland Adventure | Arctic Ascent with Alex Honnold :

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Bill Ryan (1st February 2024), pounamuknight (6th March 2024), Yoda (1st February 2024)

13. Link to Post #47
    Language
    Thanks

• Climbing with Alex Honnold **Insane experience**:

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Alecs (5th March 2024), Bill Ryan (4th March 2024), ClearWater (6th March 2024), kudzy (4th March 2024), Mike (6th March 2024), Miller (5th March 2024), pounamuknight (6th March 2024)

15. Link to Post #48
    Thanks

Quote Posted by ExomatrixTV (here)
    ~~~

I found this very interesting. All super-trivial, but let me explain.

Most climbing videos show the tiniest number of elite climbers, with olympic-level strength and gymnastic skill, who train professionally every day and climb things that only a few years ago might have been thought impossible. Like this:

But this Alex Honnold video above shows a normal rock climb. For anyone who might possibly be interested (and maybe no-one is! ), this is the kind of thing I used to climb all the time.

The grade of the climb in the video is 5.9. To offer an interpretation of that, the '5.' part of the number simply means that a rope is needed. So 5.1 would be an easy scramble, something a child could do. 5.15 is close to impossible. (No-one has yet climbed a 5.16.)

And 5.9 is right in the middle. There are plenty of holds, it's steep though not actually vertical, but (of course) a fall without being held on a rope would be fatal.

So I used to do climbs like this every weekend (and still could if there was any good rock here in Ecuador and I had a climbing partner!), but always with a rope, never solo.

The difference is purely psychological, as Honnold expertly explains and coaches. (I'd never realized what a good coach he was.)

If you're on a rope, you don't fall simply because you have the confidence that nothing much can go wrong. If you're NOT on a rope, you have to mentally trick yourself into the same level of confidence that no harm can come to you, because you know you can do it and you're just not going to fall.

It's all in the mind.

16. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Alecs (5th March 2024), ClearWater (6th March 2024), ExomatrixTV (5th March 2024), kudzy (5th March 2024), Mike (6th March 2024), Miller (5th March 2024), Nasu (7th March 2024), pounamuknight (6th March 2024), wegge (6th March 2024), wondering (6th March 2024), Yoda (6th March 2024)

17. Link to Post #49
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,304 times in 5,692 posts

Bill I think you'll really appreciate this one (or perhaps you've already seen it). I literally just finished watching this a few mins ago. It's called "Beckoning Silence". Joe Simpson from "Touching The Void" narrates this remarkable documentary that's every bit as dramatic as his own mountain climbing experience in Peru(maybe more dramatic). It's about Toni Kurz attempt to climb the north face of Eiger in 1936.

I know next to nothing about mountaineering, but I have seen nearly every documentary on the subject, and this is top 3 for sure.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Bill Ryan (6th March 2024), ClearWater (6th March 2024), Yoda (6th March 2024)

19. Link to Post #50
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Mike (here)
    Bill I think you'll really appreciate this one (or perhaps you've already seen it). I literally just finished watching this a few mins ago. It's called "Beckoning Silence". Joe Simpson from "Touching The Void" narrates this remarkable documentary that's every bit as dramatic as his own mountain climbing experience in Peru(maybe more dramatic). It's about Toni Kurz attempt to climb the north face of Eiger in 1936.

I know next to nothing about mountaineering, but I have seen nearly every documentary on the subject, and this is top 3 for sure.
    ~~~

Many many thanks. I'd not seen that, and I'm a huge admirer of Joe Simpson.

I wrote about the event here a few years ago, in which I posted what I described as the most iconic photo in mountaineering history — Toni Kurz's lifeless body slumped on the rope after a failed superhuman effort, both by himself and his rescuers, to somehow save his life.

There was a marvelous 2008 German film about the whole thing, fictionalized with actors but very true to what had actually happened. The German title is Nordwand, translated in English as North Face. The Wiki page about the film is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Face_(film). This is the poster:

There are English-language YouTube subtitles which can be turned on, and (somewhere) there may possibly be an English audio-dubbed version. It's excellent. (And there have been numerous documentaries, all excellent as well.)

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

ClearWater (6th March 2024), kudzy (6th March 2024), Mike (6th March 2024), Yoda (6th March 2024)

21. Link to Post #51
    England Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,426 times in 1,397 posts

Quote Posted by ExomatrixTV (here)
    I watched the video with sweaty palms and marvelled at just how smooth and polished the rockface was. And then I got to wondering about body build and what physical attributes were needed for climbing. I rejected Usain Bolt as strong but too heavy, Mo Farah on the other hand probably not strong enough. Maybe a gymnast, with all that upper body strength, and then I got just a glimpse of a raised T shirt at the end of the video and couldn't believe my eyes. So I googled Alex Honnold abs and got this . . .

Like WOW

Mod note from Bill:
    We can't see that image... could you maybe go to edit your post and try again?
    I Googled
    Alex Honnold abs myself to see what generated the big WOW, and saw this.
    (Yes, he doesn't have an ounce of fat, and his core is immensely strong. There are some better technical (gymnastic) climbers than him, though — his particular uniqueness is a total lack of fear.)

Last edited by Bill Ryan; 6th March 2024 at 18:04.
    "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible make violent revolution inevitable" (John F Kennedy - 13th March 1962)
    "The only winning move is not to play" (WarGames 1983)

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Miller For This Post:

Bill Ryan (6th March 2024), ClearWater (6th March 2024)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 3